PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian Rapid Series (Event I Hobart 18 April)

Kevin Bonham
25-02-2009, 02:09 AM
This year the TCA is trying something new to try to increase the number of juniors crossing into open-age tournament ranks and also get more of our juniors playing regularly in the leadup to the Australian Junior 2010 in Hobart!

I'll post the full details up shortly once the entry form is finalised but the format of each event is five rounds of 25/+5 running from 11 am to 5 pm with a lunch break.

Event I Hobart 18 April
Event II Ulverstone 11 July
Event III Launceston 21 November

30% of prizemoney for each event will be pooled and distributed at the end of the year with prizes for best U18, best U12 and best girl. The points system for these events will reward participation in as many as possible as well as results.

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2009, 09:37 PM
VENUE: Migrant Resource Centre, 49 Molle St, Hobart

DATE: Saturday 18th April.

FORMAT: 11am 5 pm. 5 games @ 25 mins + 5 secs per move. Lunch at 1 pm.

ENTRY FEES: $30 adults, $25 conc, $15 juniors. Entries on the day are fine but close at 10:45 am.

PRIZES: 30% first, 20% second, 10% each for best performance based on rating by an adult and by a junior. 10% each to series pool for best U18, best U12 and best girl.

POINTS FOR JUNIORS FOR SERIES POOL: In each category 15 for 1st, 11 for 2nd, 9 for 3rd, 7 for 4th, 6 for playing.

ARBITERS: Kevin Bonham and assistants.

ENQUIRIES: Kevin Bonham ph. 6224 8487 email k_bonham@tassie.net.au

NOTES: FIDE Laws 2005 apply ringing mobiles will incur automatic loss of game. Entrants agree to abide by all decisions of the organisers and arbiters. The organisers reserve the right to make any changes required.

Games will be rated on the ACF Rapid list.

Series II Ulverstone July 11
Series III Launceston Nov 21

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ENTRY FORM

Name:
Address:
Phone: Email (optional):

Please tick here if you would like your entry acknowledged by email: ___

Please detach this form and post it with payment to Kevin Bonham, 410 Macquarie Street, South Hobart, Tas 7004. Cheques and money orders to be made payable to HOBART INTERNATIONAL CHESS CLUB and will be cleared.

Kevin Bonham
08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
11 entries (4 adult 7 junior) received so far:

Adults
Kevin Bonham
Henry Sheerwater
Adam Carter
Tony Sturges

Juniors
Mason Carter
Jamie Briant
Harry Briant
Shugi Yu
Cormac Lawrence
Owen Short
Seb Krasnicki

Saragossa
14-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Should be fun. Although I am ridiculous on quick time controls like this I blunder too quickly or don't realise that positional defiencies of mine can and will actually be exploited. There was a coaching thing on the flyer/form any extra info or just general information on that?

Kevin Bonham
17-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Not sure what the situation is with coaching after the tournament - talked to Mellissa last night and she wasn't sure either. There may be something.

Few more entries - Luke Worner and Cam Martin-Simpson from far south, Glen Gibbs will at least drop in (not explicitly sure if he's playing), Russell and Vincent Horton expected, Graham Richards possible. Hoping for a reasonable sized field.

Kevin Bonham
18-04-2009, 09:16 PM
The first event in the Rapid Series was very successful attracting 29 players including, as expected, lots of juniors.

Round 1 went completely to seeding except for unrated Luke Worner defeating Mason Carter. In round 2 most of the time on the clock was used up in many games but again nearly all results went according to seeding except for Jamie Briant winning nicely against Vincent Horton in an OCB ending.

After the lunchbreak there were some more critical games on the top boards. First game finished this round was between Frame and Ivkovic; when Frame won in the endgame both sides had more time on the clock than they started with and most other boards were still in the opening! After touching a piece then realising the intended move of it would lose the exchange, top seed Kevin Bonham had to give up a pawn to avoid a crushing combo, and Ross George was then good enough to pick his way through some kingside tactical threats and prevail. Tony Sturges scored an upset win against Janice Martin this round.

Nigel Frame won quickly against Marcus Bretag in round 4 after Marcus lost a couple of pieces early and resigned. Ross George defeated Jamie Briant and the last game to finish in the round was Gibbs-Bonham, in which black managed to eventually scramble a win in a rather odd same-colour bishop ending which with best play should have been drawn.

After various jokes about whether Sofia rules should be invoked, Frame and George (leaders by a point) played off for the tournament in the final round. Ross used up much more of his time than Nigel but the game came to an abrupt end in a pawn race when to the apparent surprise of both players, Ross's a1=Q was checkmate. Marcus Bretag joined Nigel in the tie for second after Bonham started throwing away pawns in a heavy piece ending (and resigned after losing four of them), and Russell Horton also made it to 4 with a win over Milutin Ivkovic.

Tony Sturges was an easy pick for best adult performance relative to rating, scoring 2.5/3 against much higher rated opponents in the last three rounds. The junior prize was a bit tougher to decide (noting that the prize was subjective and for performance and not necessarily score) and was split between Lawrence Bretag and Jamie Briant. Bradley Vince won a book prize for best performance by an unrated junior.

$150 from this tournament has gone into the prize pool for junior GP points across the three Rapid Series tournaments. GP pointscores are below the crosstable.

After the event Russell Horton led a coaching session for juniors that was well attended.

Ratings below are rapid ratings (normal if player has no rapid)

No Name Rtg Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5

1 George, Ross 1687 5 5:W 12:W 8:W 16:W 3:W
2 Bretag, Marcus 1749 4 13:W 4:W 17:W 3:L 8:W
3 Frame, Nigel 1720 4 20:W 22:W 9:W 2:W 1:L
4 Horton, Russell 1468 4 26:W 2:L 15:W 18:W 9:W
5 Sturges, Tony (Thelston) 1154 3.5 1:L 26:W 22:W 11:D 17:W
6 Bretag, Lawrence 1408 3.5 19:W 17:L 23:W 10:D 16:W
7 Kuzmic, Carey 1296 3.5 8:L 28:W 25:W 17:W 10:D
8 Bonham, Kevin 2089 3 7:W 11:W 1:L 12:W 2:L
9 Ivkovic, Milutin 1577 3 23:W 25:W 3:L 13:W 4:L
10 Horton, Vincent 1490 3 18:W 16:L 20:W 6:D 7:D
11 Krasnicki, Tom 1486 3 28:W 8:L 16:D 5:D 18:W
12 Gibbs, Glen B 1422 3 27:W 1:L 21:W 8:L 23:W
13 Fifield, Andrew 1210 3 2:L 21:W 24:W 9:L 22:W
14 Carter, Mason 1325 3 21:L 18:L 27:W 19:W 20:W
15 Carter, Adam 1039 3 17:L 19:W 4:L 25:W 26:W
16 Briant, James 1316 2.5 24:W 10:W 11:D 1:L 6:L
17 Sheerwater, Henry 1596 2 15:W 6:W 2:L 7:L 5:L
18 Ehrlich, Rotem 2 10:L 14:W 28:W 4:L 11:L
19 Vince, Bradley 2 6:L 15:L 0:W 14:L 25:W
20 Aubrey, Steven 1155 2 3:L 29:W 10:L 21:W 14:L
21 Worner, Luke 2 14:W 13:L 12:L 20:L 29:W
22 Martin, Janice 1457 2 29:W 3:L 5:L 26:W 13:L
23 Briant, Harrison 648 2 9:L 27:W 6:L 24:W 12:L
24 Yu, Shuqi 2 16:L 0:W 13:L 23:L 27:W
25 Thain, Jem 1 0:W 9:L 7:L 15:L 19:L
26 Krasnicki, Sebastian 1 4:L 5:L 29:W 22:L 15:L
27 Martin-Simpson, Cam 1 12:L 23:L 14:L 0:W 24:L
28 Jose, William 1 11:L 7:L 18:L 29:L 0:W
29 Lawrence, Cormac 1 22:L 20:L 26:L 28:W 21:L

Rapid Series GP Pointscores

Under 18

15 Marcus Bretag
11 Lawrence Bretag
8 Vincent Horton, Andrew Fifield
6 Jamie Briant, Cam Martin-Simpson

Under 12

15 Mason Carter
9 Bradley Vince, Harry Briant, Shuqi Yu
6 Jem Thain, Sebastian Krasnicki, William Jose, Cormac Lawrence

Saragossa
19-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Excellent day with really good attendance. Do we have any explanation yet of why the normal tough juniors didn't show up: Alastair, Kevin,Owen etc or Tony (Dowden)?

Kevin Bonham
19-04-2009, 06:13 PM
I know Owen was entered but then didn't play; Mellissa was in contact with him (or his parents) just pre start of round 1. Beyond that, not sure. Burnie to Hobart is a fair way to go for a rapid; will be interesting to see how many southerners play up in Ulverstone (I intend to.)

Saragossa
19-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm not southern but I'm defs going to all three seeing as Marcus and I already have a healthy point advantage (especially compared to those on 0!) which could be seen as a tad unfair. Maybe in future years four rapids or a different point system? Anything along those lines to make missing one not so dooming.

Kevin Bonham
19-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I reckon there would still be room to add a fourth one to the calendar - perhaps close to the end of the year - if anyone wanted to host it.

Tony Dowden
21-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Excellent day with really good attendance. Do we have any explanation yet of why the normal tough juniors didn't show up: Alastair, Kevin,Owen etc or Tony (Dowden)?

Congratulations on jointly winning the junior prize Lawrence :clap: :clap:

(And well done to Marcus for beating KB in the last round)

In answer to your question: I didn't play because I'd been playing the previous weekend at the Doeberl Cup in Canberra and when you get to my advanced age, too much chess is potentially injurious to both one's health and marriage ;)

Tony Dowden
21-04-2009, 09:56 AM
I reckon there would still be room to add a fourth one to the calendar - perhaps close to the end of the year - if anyone wanted to host it.

Lauceston is hosting the third event fairly late on (mid November) so what did you envisage? Maybe a pre-Christmas (Ausssie Junior warm-up) event in Hobart?

Saragossa
21-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Congratulations on jointly winning the junior prize Lawrence :clap: :clap:

(And well done to Marcus for beating KB in the last round)

In answer to your question: I didn't play because I'd been playing the previous weekend at the Doeberl Cup in Canberra and when you get to my advanced age, too much chess is potentially injurious to both one's health and marriage ;)

Thanks Tony! Yes I was in suspense waiting for the results of your last game. A very good result for you and tasmania was well represented :clap:

In regards to the fourth rapid I personally suggest it be held down in St helens. I could organise the club and after it is running we could hold it there after I manage to obtain suitable equiptment. I mentioned it at a youth council meeting because it is conveniately a junior event and she said it was cool put it in the minutes etc etc. But it is probably better brought up at the next TCA meeting which I assume is at the open yes?

Kevin Bonham
21-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Yes, next TCA meeting will be at the Open in June.

Or we could give rise to a new generation of jokes about Tasmanians by holding round four before round three. :D

Kevin Bonham
21-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Don't know if any other games were kept from this event but here's my loss to the tournament winner. After losing the pawn I missed a few chances to really get back into it - I think black is still better (at least a bit) in all those lines though. Anyway perfect calculation in a rapid is not common and I had burnt up a lot of time trying to get out of the mess in the middlegame - nice finish by Black to put a stop to all my swindle-attempt nonsense. :D

Bonham - George

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.c3 Nc6 4.Bb5 Nge7 5.0-0 a6 6.Bxc6 Nxc6 7.d4 cxd4 8.cxd4 d6 9.Nc3 Be7 10.Be3 0-0 11.Rc1 [11.d5+/=] 11...Bf6 [11...d5=] 12.Qd2 Na5 13.b3 b5 14.Bg5 Bxg5 15.Qxg5 Bb7 16.Qxd8?! keeping queens on is better 16...Rfxd8 17.Nd2 d5 18.e5 Nc6! 19.Ne2 b4 20.Nf3 a5 This is about even but here I lost the plot and picked up a knight intending to move it to e1 ... 21.Nd2 [21.Ne1? Ba6-+] 21...Rac8! 22.Rfe1? [Only 22.Rc2 holds] 22...Ba6 23.Ng3 I have to let the pawn go [if say 23.Nf3 then 23...Bxe2 when if 24.Rxe2 Nxd4 is crushing] 23...Nxd4 24.f4 g6 25.Kf2 h5 26.Nf3 Nb5 27.Ne2 Nc3?! 28.Nxc3 bxc3 29.Nd4? [29.Ke3! with good chances of recovery] 29...Rc7 30.h4 Rdc8 31.g4 c2 32.Rg1? [32.gxh5! gxh5 33.Rg1+ Kh7 34.Rg3 with more play] 32...hxg4 33.Rxg4 Kh7 34.Rg5 Bd3 35.h5 a4?! 36.hxg6+ [36.bxa4 first ] 36...Bxg6 37.f5 exf5 38.Nxf5 axb3 39.axb3 Rb8 [39...Re8!] 40.Rh1+? [40.e6! Rb6 41.Rh1+ Kg8 42.e7 again with chances] 40...Kg8 41.Nh6+ Kf8 42.Rc1 Unfortunately necessary and now white's attack collapses. 42...Rxb3 43.e6 Rb1 44.exf7 Rxc1 45.Rxg6 Rxf7+! Unnecessary, but sensible elimination sac 46.Nxf7 Kxf7 It might look like white has hopes of playing for a draw here with rook against rook and two pawns but this isn't the case 47.Rc6 Rh1! Oh dear. 0-1

Note that Ross's final move is the only winning move in that position.

Tony Dowden
22-04-2009, 08:37 PM
A well-taken win by Ross :clap: :clap:

With the Black N on e7 I would have much preferred 6.Ba4 and retreat B to b3 or c2 and playing the game in psuedo-Spanish style :cool:

Kevin Bonham
22-04-2009, 08:57 PM
With the Black N on e7 I would have much preferred 6.Ba4 and retreat B to b3 or c2 and playing the game in psuedo-Spanish style :cool:

Yes that is what I will most likely do should I get that position again in the future. I play a lot of these Rossolimo positions (some of them through odd transpositions like this one) and I'm used to the idea that anytime black wants to use a move with a6 you can take on c6 and then no matter what black takes back with, giving up the minor exchange shouldn't hurt you, even if you don't mess up black's pawn structure. But perhaps when it's a knight rather than a queen then Ba4 is preferable.

ER
23-04-2009, 03:03 PM
nice finish by Black to put a stop to all my swindle-attempt nonsense. :D
Correct!!!

Oh dear. 0-1
Correct again!

Note that Ross's final move is the only winning move in that position.
Not if your King was on either h2 or g2 as theory suggests for Rook and Pawn Endings of this kind! The problem with you youngsters is that you spend too much time in opening variations and do not study the Endgame first as the great Capa (and Jono) suggest!
Having said that, I understand that your admin duties here, as well as in Fed and State level require lots of time, however, I believe you must find a bit of extra time for your Chess improvement because I don't think you are performing according to your standards for the last 3-4 rating periods!

Tony Dowden
23-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Correct again! Not if your King was on either h2 or g2 as theory suggests for Rook and Pawn Endings of this kind! The problem with you youngsters is that you spend too much time in opening variations and do not study the endgame first as the great Capa (and Jono) suggest!

JAK, its questionable to label this last one as 'correct'.

It's not fair criticism as White had no time to play the K to g2 (or h2). Play through the game again and you'll see that the tactical melee immediately before the final tactical shot of 47...Rh1! did not give White time to make a quiet move such as improving his king position.

Kevin Bonham
23-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Not if your King was on either h2 or g2 as theory suggests for Rook and Pawn Endings of this kind! The problem with you youngsters is that you spend too much time in opening variations and do not study the Endgame first as the great Capa (and Jono) suggest!

It's got absolutely nothing to do with that. I'd been dead lost for many moves (not to mention pretty close to out of time) and my only real hope was that he might blunder and miss the elimination sacrifice and let me queen a pawn (he didn't). Once he took my pawn, if I play Kg2 he wins with Rg1+! giving him time to promote before my rook can cover. So Rc6 is the only move to cover the pawn and it just happens that because my king is on f2 (where it has been parked for many moves as I had no idea I would reach this particular ending) he has a win on the board if he sees it. I hadn't realised this in advance because I was so short of time, but I wouldn't have played any differently if I had.

Indeed I've never really been a theory swotter and avoid many main lines (Lopez, Open Sicilians etc) because I don't want to sacrifice the time I'd need to learn them. Your comment about the problems with youngsters spending too much time on theory and not enough on the endgame is spot on, except (a) I'm not a youngster anymore and (b) it doesn't apply to me and never did.

Having said that, I understand that your admin duties here, as well as in Fed and State level require lots of time, however, I believe you must find a bit of extra time for your Chess improvement because I don't think you are performing according to your standards for the last 3-4 rating periods!

It's been longer than that and it has nothing to do with the amount of work I put into the game which, such as it is, is no different to at any other stage in the last 10-15 years.

PS Please do not needlessly spell Chess with a capital. That is a habitual phild707 mannerism and my respect level for any post containing it therefore automatically defaults to somewhere below zero and must be painstakingly rebuilt from there. :lol: :lol:

Saragossa
23-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Yes that crazy young Mr Bonham spending far too much time on his french! *Mutters something about youngsters and the like* But seriously rapids cannot (must not) be taken too seriously. 25 mins seems like alot but after a look at one no goer by accident thats already three minutes or so and that adds up in a complex middle game. Before you know it you're clock punching in an endgame!

I think it was all these new elements that caused a few upsets but as it progresses the field will level more and more. Other then that a big grats to Ross and hopefully he will stay in this great form throughtout the rapids.

Kevin Bonham
23-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Normally when people suggest that the effort I put into running tournaments adversely affects my results in them I call that nonsense (and believe that it is nonsense) even if my performance in the event in question has been dreadful.

I will say that this one was especially exhausting however, mainly because the field was so large that getting ready for the first round was incredibly full-on.

I was only conscious of it affecting my play in one game (my first) in which I couldn't focus at all for about the first dozen moves and was lucky that Carey walked into a trick that won a piece in an otherwise feisty position that I was having trouble coming to grips with and may well have otherwise lost.

At the end of the day I was utterly drained.

This is not to take anything away from the efforts of those who beat me. Ross outplayed me on the whole and Marcus was hanging in admirably for at least a draw when I suddenly went into pawn-chucking mode.

Normally I am excellent at this time control as my rapid rating indicates!