PDA

View Full Version : Mt Buller Championships

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Garvin. I noticed you said the rapid and lightening are going to be on the 1st and 6th of January. Is that the rapid on the 1st and the lightening on the 6th? Do you know if it is possible to get transport to Mt Buller and back on the day of the rapid and lightening? I would rather not have to pay one or two nights accomadation for a one day tournament if I wanted to play.
Scott
rapid on the 1st and lightning on the 6th. Transport from where to mt buller? If you mean melbourne, it is impossible. You could hire a car i suppose and drive from melbourne. Since you are coming from adelaide, you could take the first flight, arrive in melbourne, get a car, drive to buller, play in say the rapid starting at 1pm, drive back and take last flight home (if you made it in time). But you would require everything to go your way to do that and i dont think you would feel too fresh doing it that way.

Personally i think the option of playing the rapid, then minor(if eligible) and then the lightning is the way to go.

Oepty
04-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Garvin. Sorry I meant Melbourne, I should have made that clear. A pity that it is impossible I guess it means I won't be going to Mt Buller at all unless things change alot in my circumstances
Scott

Libby
04-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Just to let people know that a Canberra parent was given this advice today -

"I spoke to Roman at the Mercure this morning and he was eager to get the message out to people who have made bookings, that they need to provide a credit card number/other deposit, as a mechanism to hold the room. If they don't do so, they will lose their booking as there is such a demand for rooms. These people need to contact the Mercure as soon as possible. Apparently some people have tried to book/put on hold, multiple rooms without securing the book as described."

I thought about half the rooms at the Mercure had kitchens? I'm sure we were told that, or given the impression there were lots? If there are only 12, and they're taken before many families have even had the info about the event I'm not quite sure people will be too happy overall. Getting info by being on the BB means that many Canberra players/parents are actually quite well placed and ahead of the game but there are lots of people who do not come to the BB (can't think why with the high standard of debate at times and the concept that we need the opportunity for adults only content :eek: ).

You can get quite a good deal with the lodges but many are looking for a minimum booking in order to open up in Summer. This will probably not be a problem with the numbers coming to the Juniors but it does mean people need to coordinate bookings and not just phone up to book a bed.

gg
George Kerry and I travelled the vline route back from mt buller to melbourne and it is a very scenic and enjoyable 3 hour trip. the trip is not boring and endless.

Ok - I'm not going to fight you on the value of the scenery. Next time though, can you test flight the journey with at least 4 accompanying children of primary school age? :D Preferably a group having just flown from WA or SA that day? :cool: We'll all survive but I don't think we'll be in a hurry to repeat the joy! :owned:

When i was told that mt buller is a ghost place during summer i almost fell off my chair. Does that suggest it was a very hip & happening place during your visit? Perhaps that's because it's snow season and absolutely everything is open, everybody is there and the whole experience it at the peak of it's powers. I have been to conferences and even to a weekend "getaway" at Thredbo - a NSW equivalent of Mt Buller - in summer. There's a difference in the atmosphere I can assure you but certainly the air is bracing, the bushwalks are endless and the free chairlift will still take you to experience the odd pocket of snow. :lol:

doc
04-08-2004, 12:56 PM
The Mt Buller Chess Championships

- a tournament for the rich and famous

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Just to let people know that a Canberra parent was given this advice today -

"I spoke to Roman at the Mercure this morning and he was eager to get the message out to people who have made bookings, that they need to provide a credit card number/other deposit, as a mechanism to hold the room. If they don't do so, they will lose their booking as there is such a demand for rooms. These people need to contact the Mercure as soon as possible. Apparently some people have tried to book/put on hold, multiple rooms without securing the book as described."
I take it this is a quote from a canberra person you spoke to.

I thought about half the rooms at the Mercure had kitchens? I'm sure we were told that, or given the impression there were lots? If there are only 12, and they're taken before many families have even had the info about the event I'm not quite sure people will be too happy overall.
The 12 is the number that Roman gave me on the phone, i still have the a4 piece of paper i wrote the information he gave me on. 12 rooms with kitchens.

Getting info by being on the BB means that many Canberra players/parents are actually quite well placed and ahead of the game but there are lots of people who do not come to the BB (can't think why with the high standard of debate at times and the concept that we need the opportunity for adults only content :eek: ). take it up with those who get involved in trash talking and cretin debates.

You can get quite a good deal with the lodges but many are looking for a minimum booking in order to open up in Summer. This will probably not be a problem with the numbers coming to the Juniors but it does mean people need to coordinate bookings and not just phone up to book a bed.
This needs to be taken up with those lodges. If i was booking with another lodge than mercure, i would be wanting to know what facilities they offer regarding activities.

Ok - I'm not going to fight you on the value of the scenery. Next time though, can you test flight the journey with at least 4 accompanying children of primary school age? :D Preferably a group having just flown from WA or SA that day? :cool: We'll all survive but I don't think we'll be in a hurry to repeat the joy! :owned: Jest if you will, but i will be test flighting the journey as you say . I mostly likely will be the one that meets everyone etc as I seem to know most about how to get to and from the airport to the vline etc etc.

Does that suggest it was a very hip & happening place during your visit? Perhaps that's because it's snow season and absolutely everything is open, everybody is there and the whole experience it at the peak of it's powers.
I have been to conferences and even to a weekend "getaway" at Thredbo - a NSW equivalent of Mt Buller - in summer. There's a difference in the atmosphere I can assure you but certainly the air is bracing, the bushwalks are endless and the free chairlift will still take you to experience the odd pocket of snow. :lol:
the reason i was surprised is that i would have thought it would be a very good getaway place in summer. the altitude makes it cooler than melbourne and no pollution. Also in summer the accommodation would be cheaper, same with food etc. I was just highly surprised that people from the melbourne area dont take the opportunity that is given to them.

Alan Shore
04-08-2004, 01:18 PM

I love it! Perfectly sums up how I feel too and simultaneously tells people what to expect and even offers the tournament some points for prestige. :cool:

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 01:23 PM
I love it! Perfectly sums up how I feel too and simultaneously tells people what to expect and even offers the tournament some points for prestige. :cool:
i want to know more about the famous bit :lol: i dont think anyone at the tournament is famous in australia :uhoh: :owned:

Alan Shore
04-08-2004, 01:44 PM
i want to know more about the famous bit :lol: i dont think anyone at the tournament is famous in australia :uhoh: :owned:

Famous in chess circles I guess.. but who knows, there might be some celebrities there.
Maybe you could amend it to infamous then? :P

Libby
04-08-2004, 02:17 PM
I take it this is a quote from a canberra person you spoke to. Yes - sorry if it appeared otherwise.

The 12 is the number that Roman gave me on the phone, i still have the a4 piece of paper i wrote the information he gave me on. 12 rooms with kitchens.

That's fine. But if you look back to George's original promotion of the Mercure in the "Call for new bids" thread we have this quote -

Hi All,

Actually the food question is serious. About half the Chalet rooms have kitchens - and yes if you so desire you can bring whatever food you want.

Least I think this question about food was serious.

George Howard

OK - sometimes I'm pedantic, sarcastic etc. However we (in the ACT) have been getting people to book and make arrangements with some urgency but we hadn't sensed that if we didn't get in before the event was even formally advertised, you probably couldn't get a room at the Mercure with a kitchen. You see, 12 rooms is a bit short of "about half". Creates a different level of urgency for those people who want this sort of service.

I know it seems ridiculous to some adults who are looking forward to 2 weeks of eating out. However most families travel with slightly different needs & budget. Many (most?) will want to be able to cook some meals when they are somewhere for about 2 weeks. I'm not sure that you can expect loads more to prefer the Mercure as the accommodation of choice, over the lodges and apartments which do have kitchens.

This needs to be taken up with those lodges. If i was booking with another lodge than mercure, i would be wanting to know what facilities they offer regarding activities. A kitchen for a start :D But no steam room :( BTW Do we know what is happening to the public access to the pool?

Thanks - I have sent all the info from your announcement thread to ACT people and I'm sure it will be helpful. :D

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Yes - sorry if it appeared otherwise.
i had read it as a quote from a conversation

OK - sometimes I'm pedantic, sarcastic etc.
that couldnt possibly be the case, i never guessed that from your comments about the vline service. ;)

You see, 12 rooms is a bit short of "about half". Creates a different level of urgency for those people who want this sort of service.
yeah 12 is a bit short of half for 65 rooms, more like 18.46% :lol:

I know it seems ridiculous to some adults who are looking forward to 2 weeks of eating out. However most families travel with slightly different needs & budget. Many (most?) will want to be able to cook some meals when they are somewhere for about 2 weeks.
i do remember it being said by Roman that people can bring microwaves and put them in their rooms.

I'm not sure that you can expect loads more to prefer the Mercure as the accommodation of choice, over the lodges and apartments which do have kitchens.that is fine, people can stay anywhere they like. I guess the advantage of the mercure is in the extra options regarding pool, spa, gym and all that stuff.

Do we know what is happening to the public access to the pool?
the mercure pool and spa is for mercure guests only (that is my impression by the next explaination).
Each hotel room requires a card for people to get into by swiping it. the pool and spa are the same. So that means only mercure guests can go there. Other lodges might have something similar for their guests.

Thanks - I have sent all the info from your announcement thread to ACT people and I'm sure it will be helpful. :D
I hope i have been as helpful as i can be.

Libby
04-08-2004, 02:39 PM
the mercure pool and spa is for mercure guests only (that is my impression by the next explaination).
Each hotel room requires a card for people to get into by swiping it. the pool and spa are the same. So that means only mercure guests can go there. Other lodges might have something similar for their guests.

OK - so if I look at http://www.mtbuller.com.au/activities/summer.html where I can find the following info -

Mercure Grand Swimming Pool
Cool off in the Mercure Grand Swimming pool which is now open to the public from 3-7pm daily. Contact the La Trobe University Sports Centre on 03 5733 7080.

I am to understand that this will not apply for chess players :evil:

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 02:43 PM
OK - so if I look at http://www.mtbuller.com.au/activities/summer.html where I can find the following info -

Mercure Grand Swimming Pool
Cool off in the Mercure Grand Swimming pool which is now open to the public from 3-7pm daily. Contact the La Trobe University Sports Centre on 03 5733 7080.

I am to understand that this will not apply for chess players :evil:
I have just emailed George regarding this and i will just await an answer. then ill pass it on to the bb.

jenni
04-08-2004, 03:21 PM
i do remember it being said by Roman that people can bring microwaves and put them in their rooms.
That is going to fit in the boot of the car very well. Particularly if you are transporting a whole lot of kids and their wardrobes, chess books, ordinary books, recreational gear, etc. Even more fun in a plane! :wall:

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 03:33 PM
That is going to fit in the boot of the car very well. Particularly if you are transporting a whole lot of kids and their wardrobes, chess books, ordinary books, recreational gear, etc. Even more fun in a plane! :wall:
hey im just telling what i have been told can be brought into a room ;) i didnt say it was practical :doh:

jenni
04-08-2004, 03:38 PM
hey im just telling what i have been told can be brought into a room ;) i didnt say it was practical :doh:
sorry - couldn't resist. :)

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 03:42 PM
sorry - couldn't resist. :)
well since you want to make fun of the microwave, im sure a microwave is just as easy to get to mt buller as some of the pc's that ppl will bring :P

Libby
04-08-2004, 03:52 PM

Sob :lol: I totally missed my chance! I had been going to say that I would now be off to check those on-board luggage requirements! :clap:

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Sob :lol: I totally missed my chance! I had been going to say that I would now be off to check those on-board luggage requirements! :clap:
you lovely ladies ;) are going by bus from canberra to buller arent you :eh:

Libby
04-08-2004, 04:06 PM
This needs to be taken up with those lodges. If i was booking with another lodge than mercure, i would be wanting to know what facilities they offer regarding activities.

&

for those staying at mercure- there is also a gym, squash court, basketball courts, swimming pool, spa and a few decent pool tables. Bring your own dial up account and there is dial up internet access throughout the mercure.

So - here's another (very, very) long post from Libby :doh: If you are very, very worried about missing all the facilities of the Mercure by staying elsewhere you might like to check http://www.latrobe.edu.au/mtbuller/SportsCentre.html where it seems you just might find a little of what you're looking for! :D I must admit my post re the Mercure pool did get me wondering about this Latrobe Uni Sports Centre. The best quote seems to be "During the non-winter season, the following facilities are available to students and the public alike." (unless they play chess perhaps? :hmm: ) I know some (arosar) hate the whole URL thing so here's the info -

We proudly offer our state of the art facility to the public, corporate groups, schools and mountain staff. Below are listed many of the exciting and challenging activities that La Trobe has on offer so, take a look at the many possibilities and contact the Sports Centre on 5733 7080 for further information.

GYM FACILITIES

For people of 16 years and over, La Trobe University Mt Buller boasts the most comprehensive international standard gymnasium in an Australian alpine environment with:

Free weights Treadmill
Exercise bikes Steppers
Machine weights Boxing equipment
Plyometrics Rowers

Daily hours of operation:

Non Winter 9 am - 5 PM Fri - Sunday
11 am - 7 pm Mon - Thurs
Summer Hols 9 am - 5 pm 7 Days
Winter 1 pm- 9 pm 7 Days

Gym Rates

Single visit $ 8.50

Fitness Assessment:
The professional way to monitor your fitness improvement.
Rate: $44.00 per assessment

SPORTS HALL

Activity hours of operation: As for Gymnasium

Private bookings for groups are available outside of our regular hours. If you've skied all day and would like an alternative to on snow activities, the La Trobe Sports Centre has many options. Our enormous indoor sports centre lets you try your hand at any one of the following activities: tennis, netball, volleyball, basketball, badminton, curolling (indoor ice curling), soccer and archery.
Inline Skating Cost: $11.00 p.p. per 2 hours, $30.00 [per person per day (Includes safety equipment)
Indoor Tennis Court Hire: Cost $25 per hour, includes racquets and balls
Please call for all other prices

CLIMBING AND ABSEILING

If you're looking for a different kind of vertical challenge try our 15 metre high climbing wall. With varying degrees of difficulty and routes it's a real test.
Cost: $44.00 p.p. per hour for 1 - 3 people. $11 per additional person.
Bookings are essential.

Outdoor Abseiling and Rock climbing

Outdoor activities offer another type of challenge for the adventurous.
Cost: $88.00 per hour for 1 to 10 persons / $44.00 for each additional hour
Bookings are essential

MOUNTAIN BIKING

Our fleet of mountain bikes with front suspension and disc brakes are awaiting you to challenge the mountain roads and trails.
Cost: $20.00 per hour $40.00 per 4 hours $60 for 8 hours
All prices include a helmet

MOUNTAIN BIKE TOUR

Cost: $25 per person. (minimum of 5) 2 hour ride includes bike, helmet and guide. Take our scenic alpine ride where you get to choose the speed and style, or a casual cruise around the village.

ECO WALKS AND HIKING

Let our resident experts take you on an informative walk revealing the fascinating flora and fauna found in the high country or for the more adventurous, hikes to match your abilities.
Cost: $80.00 for 1 to 4 persons per 2.5 hour hike and $15 per additional person.

GRAND MECURE CHALET HOTEL SPORTS CENTRE

During the non-winter season, the following facilities are available to students and the public alike.
Use of these facilities is free to students.

Swimming Pool, Spa, Sauna, Squash Courts and Gymnasium

Hours: Daily 3.00 pm to 7.00 pm

Public Rates:
Pool Area Adults $7 per visit
Child 0-3 Free
Child 4-14 $5 per visit
Family (up to 4 people) $18 per visit
Towel $2
Gymnasium $7 per visit

Combined Gymnasium and Pool $10 per visit
Book of 10 visits $50

Squash Courts $10 per 1/2 hr
$18 per hr

Please Note: All activities are subject to facility and staff availability. Some outdoor activities may be affected by local weather conditions and track closures.

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 04:21 PM
libby, you cant take credit for long posts when you have just copied and pasted the information from the url :P

Libby
04-08-2004, 04:39 PM
libby, you cant take credit for long posts when you have just copied and pasted the information from the url :P

Excuse my lack of BB etiquette ;) I didn't actually intend people to see this as "all my own work" it seemed there was a minority (one) who isn't keen to click the link. Plus I don't think it hurts to put - entirely - in the public domain that it would normally be OK for people to access a lot of these so-called "mercure-only" facilities and then to ask if that access is being withdrawn during the chess events. :confused:

Or have I misread the several statements to the effect that if you don't stay at the Chalet you can't play basketball etc etc.

If we are not getting access to facilities (pool, gym etc) that are normally open to the public doesn't that make our good deal (for the tournament overall) a bit less good?

And the suggestion that other lodges/accommodation have similar exclusivity arrangements for their own guests demonstrates a little lack of familiarity with the accommodation options on offer. They are ski lodges etc. They barely scrape a living over Summer which is why most of them require a minimum occupancy to open up and some even charge an extra fee to open up for Summer at all. As most only open for the ski season their facilities tend to run to drying cupboards, open fireplaces and ski storage rather than swimming pools and tennis courts. I can't say I've trawled every accommodation provider on the mountain but I'm yet to find any others with actual recreation facilities (other than the odd restaurant & bar). I'd suspect that is why the Mercure facilities are normally open for public access. So - are they this time? :cool:

PS All my own work - certified :owned:

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 04:44 PM
i have emailed latrobe asking for further information. I even used my title as a tournament organiser to try and make it official looking :owned: :lol:

We will see what response i get :D

Libby
04-08-2004, 04:48 PM
i have emailed latrobe asking for further information. I even used my title as a tournament organiser to try and make it official looking :owned: :lol:

We will see what response i get :D

Thanks gg :D I'm really not trying to be a pain in the butt, it just comes out that way. There's just a big difference between "never darken the door of this facility" and "come along at certain times of the day and, for a nominal fee, enjoy the facilities." :hand:

arosar
04-08-2004, 04:49 PM
. . . seemed there was a minority (one) who isn't keen to click the link.

Who you talkin' about woman?

Anyway, why are you doin' all this work Libby mate? Get these bas.tard to do it!

AR

Libby
04-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Who you talkin' about woman?

Anyway, why are you doin' all this work Libby mate? Get these bas.tard to do it!

AR

If the shoe fits ... :cool:

Why am I doing the work? 'Cos it doesn't take much to find this out (or to get quotes on buses etc :rolleyes: ) and if my kid wants to swim in the pool between 3 and 7pm I want to know why we've signed up to a special deal where she's not allowed to. Plus I'm a certified stirrer - probably the ultimate answer to your question :D

arosar
04-08-2004, 04:58 PM
i . . . I even used my title as a tournament organiser to try and make it official looking.

Ooohhhh....aaaahhhh.....

Proud of yourself, ain't ya?

Now let me get this right here gray. Do you think it's smart to be making 'official' enquiries with another party when an agreement with whom, if formalised, could diminish your agreement with Mercure?

AR

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Ooohhhh....aaaahhhh.....

Proud of yourself, ain't ya?

Now let me get this right here gray. Do you think it's smart to be making 'official' enquiries with another party when an agreement with whom, if formalised, could diminish your agreement with Mercure?

AR
give yourself up amiel, if i had of said no libby i aint helping you at all, then you would have criticised me for that.

arosar
04-08-2004, 05:13 PM
give yourself up amiel, if i had of said no libby i aint helping you at all, then you would have criticised me for that.

That's not the point. Shall I spell it out for you like you're a 5-year old? You're about to get in trouble again you know.

AR

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 05:17 PM
That's not the point. Shall I spell it out for you like you're a 5-year old? You're about to get in trouble again you know.

AR
who from, you, i could not care less if it from you :hand:

arosar
04-08-2004, 05:28 PM
who from, you, i could not care less if it from you :hand:

See gray...it's like this. You're in bed with Mercure. You're not with Latrobe. Those two apparently offer like but competing services. By making 'official' enquiries - with your fancy title, which you so proudly danced about - with Latrobe, you are endangering your relationship with Mercure.

If you really had to enquire, you should have done so, 'unofficially'.

Do you understand this?

AR

arosar
04-08-2004, 05:34 PM
I have just emailed George regarding this and i will just await an answer. then ill pass it on to the bb.

Oh my God!! Your answer better be different to my answer. I pray a thousand Hail Mary's for you gray.

Btw, is there one Mexican in the organising committee??

AR

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Oh my God!! Your answer better be different to my answer. I pray a thousand Hail Mary's for you gray. what is your answer amiel?

Btw, is there one Mexican in the organising committee??
nope

arosar
04-08-2004, 05:40 PM
nope

So youse all are just a coupla South Australians, NSWelshman, you the Queenslander and a rope-in from the capital? This last choice is interesting cos it's clearly designed to muzzle what woulda been the most powerful and influential critic from the junior front, right?

So we have not one Mexican . . . what message are we sending to our brothers and sisters down south?

AR

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 05:43 PM
So we have not one Mexican . . . what message are we sending to our brothers and sisters down south?
well lets see. george emailed and asked many people a while ago who wanted to be involved with mt buller 2 and we got the current committee. At the same time, cv was preparing a new bid involving whitehorse, the guru etc. This meant that our committee had no victorians.

Libby
04-08-2004, 05:45 PM
See gray...it's like this. You're in bed with Mercure. You're not with Latrobe. Those two apparently offer like but competing services. By making 'official' enquiries - with your fancy title, which you so proudly danced about - with Latrobe, you are endangering your relationship with Mercure.

If you really had to enquire, you should have done so, 'unofficially'.

Do you understand this?

AR

Nope - I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. You may just have to click on the URL :doh:

In my understanding, the Mercure & LaTrobe share facilities. ie Students use the pool/gym for free. They are not competing bodies as far as I can work out. I think my question is less complex and controversial. Simply, that there are a range of sports and recreation facilities at Mt Buller. We have been led to believe that there will be no access to most of those facilities if we don't stay at the Mercure. I just want to know if normal, paid public access to the facilities will occur during the chess events - just as it does normally during summer.

It's not a very hard question to be asking and not meant to be a great source of angst for any of the organisers :) It just clashes with the advice they have been handing out.

And if I am a stirrer, those tendencies arise from experiences with buses, with 50% of rooms having kitchens, with dates changed (and changed back) and these small issues that don't contribute any GMs to the tournament but do contribute to the convenience and enjoyment of junior players in the events. (and their mums)

I don't need an answer from gg or george today. I'm not trying to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I'd just like the advice to be accurate when it comes. :)

arosar
04-08-2004, 05:49 PM
well lets see. george emailed and asked many people a while ago who wanted to be involved with mt buller 2 and we got the current committee. At the same time, cv was preparing a new bid involving whitehorse, the guru etc. This meant that our committee had no victorians.

So what does that yell you about the attitudes of our Mexican brothers and sisters to MB2?

AR

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 05:50 PM
In my understanding, the Mercure & LaTrobe share facilities. ie Students use the pool/gym for free. They are not competing bodies as far as I can work out. I think my question is less complex and controversial. Simply, that there are a range of sports and recreation facilities at Mt Buller. We have been led to believe that there will be no access to most of those facilities if we don't stay at the Mercure. I just want to know if normal, paid public access to the facilities will occur during the chess events - just as it does normally during summer.
part of the reason why i am emailing ppl etc is to get a more accurate picture myself instead of just ranting on. Libby is not the only who has gotten bitten a bit with incorrect information.

arosar
04-08-2004, 05:52 PM
I'd just like the advice to be accurate when it comes. :)

Accuracy is not something that this team, and gg especially, is very familiar with. Instead, they are forever shifting the goal posts, secretive, or totally unhelpful.

I think you should save yourself the trouble and treat yourself and family to a nice holiday elsewhere. Can you talk to jenni about it too? She won't listen to me that woman.

AR

Kevin Bonham
04-08-2004, 05:53 PM

There is no exclusivity accom. deal between the organisers and Mercure and the organisers are obviously free to make enquiries to other venues - especially as it's even possible (who knows) that Mercure could be filled. (Personally, I very much doubt this will happen, but a good organiser would plan for it.)

I know you enjoy baiting Garvin but that's about all you're acheiving here.

jenni
04-08-2004, 05:57 PM
and a rope-in from the capital? This last choice is interesting cos it's clearly designed to muzzle what woulda been the most powerful and influential critic from the junior front, right?

AR

I hope I am not being too egotistic in assuming you are referring to me?

Let me be plain - I don't get muzzled very easily. If I see things I don't like, I will be every bit as judgemental and critical as I was in WA.

I am involved (predominantly with the schools, although I am unable to resist sticking my nose into things with the juniors, if I see something I think is wrong), because I want to see the best possible outcome for the kids.

I do not believe the schools should be there and from what I have heard that will be resolved in the future. I don't believe the juniors should be held there every 2 years, although I am prepared to keep an open mind on that one, until after January 2005.

I can't do anything about where Mt Buller is and I can't make it easier for the schools teams to travel there. I can make it as pleasant as possible for them when they are there. A condition on taking on the organisation of the schools, was that I would be given a (small) budget, which would allow me to provide free afternoon teas for the kids (normal at the ASC) and subsidise the evening function. I have also been able to negotiate cost effective lunches for the kids.

I have badgered Charles Zworestine into agreeing to DOP the schools, so I will have a DOP who likes kids and will run a good schools comp.

These are the things that matter to me - not sulking because I didn't get my own way, or feeling aggrieved because the whole thing was stuffed up initially.

arosar
04-08-2004, 07:45 PM
i wonder if the player with the bye in this instance can ask for the game to be non-rated given that their opponent is not really in the event anyway

fwiw i think the ring-in bye bypasser concept is a load of b/s

You tell the bas.tards mate. But do they listen to good sense? NO!

AR

Garvinator
04-08-2004, 07:54 PM
eclectic posted:

i wonder if the player with the bye in this instance can ask for the game to be non-rated given that their opponent is not really in the event anyway

fwiw i think the ring-in bye bypasser concept is a load of b/s

if there is an odd number of players at the start of the tournament, then a stand in player is added and plays in the tournament like any other(not sure about rating prize situation yet).

If then a player withdraws or misses a round and makes the numbers odd again, the stand in player sits out that round.

For this, they get free entry. This means they could get 11 games or none.

arosar
04-08-2004, 08:01 PM
if there is an odd number of players at the start of the tournament, then a stand in player is added and plays in the tournament like any other(not sure about rating prize situation yet).

If then a player withdraws or misses a round and makes the numbers odd again, the stand in player sits out that round.

Mate, you running a chess tournament or musical chairs?

AR

AES
04-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Doc (whoever you are) + Amiel,

I second Garvin's comments.

Both of you are critical of the organising team, yet there is no evidence of us getting anything wrong. You just have personal agendas-to attack people and the event. Give us a fair go, and if you must, criticise after to your heart's content. You guys aren't doing yourself any favours at present.

Surely you have got better things to do with your time! I know i have.

If you have genuine concerns, email George and i am sure if they are valid questions, he will post them up on here.

Alex.

Alan Shore
04-08-2004, 10:06 PM
I don't see what these anti-Mt Buller posters necessarily hope to achieve by stirring up the organisers.. it may have been a dodgy call on the ACF's part but it's been done and isn't getting changed now. So if you have a problem, don't play and, to quote Mr Sweeney, FO.

ursogr8
04-08-2004, 10:06 PM
So youse all are just a coupla South Australians, NSWelshman, you the Queenslander and a rope-in from the capital? This last choice is interesting cos it's clearly designed to muzzle what woulda been the most powerful and influential critic from the junior front, right?

AR

AR
There are many possible reasons why the composition is as is.
In the hiatus after the ACF decision it is possible that
> WHJ waited to see if they would be called in late
>> The GURU had enough of brickbats from all points of the Compass
>>> MCC are a bit isolated by choice
>>>> Gazza and jammo ..well we know
>>>>> and that is about it in Mexico, although the outer suburban clubs may yet get involved.

Please give gg'' a fair go.

starter

peanbrain
04-08-2004, 11:27 PM

More like a torrnament for the rich and blind, and afterwards those participating will be less rich but wiser. ;)

peanbrain
04-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Doc (whoever you are) + Amiel,

I second Garvin's comments.

Both of you are critical of the organising team, yet there is no evidence of us getting anything wrong.

Alex.

Are you sure about that?!

So the organising team didn't get it wrong about the free bus to/from Melbourne? Didn't get it wrong about plenty units with kitchen? etc etc? :hmm:

arosar
05-08-2004, 09:23 AM
. . . there is no evidence of us getting anything wrong. You just have personal agendas-to attack people and the event. Give us a fair go . . .

Top of the mornin' to you mate.

Now listen closely. I have my own thing, these other fellas have theirs. OK?

Now this fair go business . . . does it come with a moneyback guarantee? Youse all just askin' us to close our eyes, take a deep breath and take your words on faith.

AR

Kerry Stead
05-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Having made the trip to Mount Buller, I thought I should add my thoughts on Mount Buller and the Australian title events (Open, Junior & Schools) to be held there over the December/January period:

Junior – Please note that the dates for the junior have been modified. The Event will now finish a few days earlier – it will run from January 11 to January 21. The Under 12s will be 9 rounds with 2 rest days, while the under 18s will be 11 rounds with 2 rest days (the two days before the rest day will have 2 games for the under 18s).

The playing venue - fantastic! The first thing I thought of when I saw it was that it was somewhat reminiscent of the Ballarat Goal venue used for the Begonia Open. Rather than a ‘pit’ as in Ballarat, Mount Buller will have a ‘pedestal’ for the top boards, so that not only can the players be free from crowding, but spectators should also be able to get a clear view of the top boards without any hassle. There’s plenty of room for all players in the tournament (unless we get 300+ for the event!). There is a bar downstairs, which I imagine will be popular after the games in the open. Also downstairs is plenty of room for post-game analysis (this can be done either near or away from the bar, so it should be no problem for the juniors).

Mercure – Excellent facilities. Not only are the rooms excellent (as you would expect), but there is a nice café, as well as a restaurant/piano lounge. As far as recreational facilities go, there is a gym, pool, spa, squash court ad half-court basketball (a basketball ring in one of the squash courts).

The mountain generally – Very scenic, although I imagine it looks quite different in summer (and things are about a metre lower!). Getting there takes around 3 hours from Melbourne by car. I would imagine the V-Line buses would be a little longer than this, but I don’t think the trip would be that much longer. Be prepared to sleep during the journey – I know I did. As for other facilities on the map, La Trobe uni has a campus directly opposite the Mercure. They have a cinema and some recreational facilities (as outlined in Libby’s earlier post, and I imagine they would be available (things like the gym) during the summer for a fee.

I think that the tournament has the potential to be excellent, particularly the juniors, with a friendly atmosphere like the 2000 juniors at Churchill due to the fact that everyone is going to stay in close proximity to each other. In addition to this, it looks like 2GMs are very close to being confirmed for the Open, if not already confirmed, however I won’t mention names until they are 100% confirmed (lest I run into more problems like the Guru).

All in all I think this event has the potential to be one of the best (if not THE best) Australian Open/Juniors ever!

P.S. Spent an extra day in Melbourne and dropped by Melbourne Chess Club to see round 1 of the Australian. MCC looks fantastic after the renovations! The tournament also looks like being a fantastic one, with many strong players competing. Well done to Nick Speck, David Beaumont and everyone else at MCC involved in organizing the event.

arosar
05-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Very nice effort Kerry.

Now, have we got a final answer yet on whether or not non-Mercure customers can actually use those fancy facilities you mentioned? gray was going to check on that last night.

Also, about those people who've booked 50% of the rooms with kitchens? Who are these people - chessers? I was talking to some people today and we doubt the truth of these claims. We think that Mercure is just doing that old trick of over-playing scarcity to stimulate demand.

AR

jenni
05-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Also, about those people who've booked 50% of the rooms with kitchens? Who are these people - chessers? I was talking to some people today and we doubt the truth of these claims. We think that Mercure is just doing that old trick of over-playing scarcity to stimulate demand.

AR

I know a number of people who've booked rooms with kitchens for the juniors (Songs, Ikedas, Jones, Lloyd etc)- given 50% is only 6 rooms, I think the claim (for the juniors anyway) is correct.

arosar
06-08-2004, 09:12 AM
. . . (Songs, Ikedas, Jones, Lloyd etc) . . .

Aaahh . . . yes, the moneyed class.

AR

jenni
06-08-2004, 10:09 AM

AR

Well at least 3 of those are definitely not flush with money! 1 of them is staying there, becasue she has had such a traumatic year with the long slow death of an aged father, that she thought she would splurge and combine taking her son to the juniors for the first time with a bit of very much needed rest for herself!

Libby
06-08-2004, 10:49 AM

AR

Gee - I never knew so much could be read into a surname :)

Perhaps you have your own perception of the relative wealth of these players/families but I doubt you know much of the ACT families on the list :wall:

To be honest, it's not a bad deal for these people anyway. Most have 4 people in a room (2 adults & 2 kids etc) for their $120, or $30 pp/night. That's not exactly exhorbitant. We are in a cheaper lodge @ $30 adult & $15 child (which is pretty close to basement rates I think). To stay there they would save $30/night or between $300 & $400 for the whole event. That's still a nice amount of money but not quite the same as saving $1000s.

Deciding that this is all too expensive at Mt Buller requires an assessment of your own circumstances but if a family can average out their accommodation to $30 pp they won't be doing loads better anywhere else.

Of course, that's quite good for these families who can cook their dinner and save on buying meals as they have got in early and booked the 18% or so of rooms with a kitchen. :)

arosar
06-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Which lodge you staying at Libby?

I'm really disappointed in youse two allowing youselves to be hoodwinked into all of this. You're unhappy about having to drag yourselves over there and yet here you are acting as the organiser's mouthpieces.

AR

jenni
06-08-2004, 11:29 AM

I'm really disappointed in youse two allowing youselves to be hoodwinked into all of this. You're unhappy about having to drag yourselves over there and yet here you are acting as the organiser's mouthpieces.

AR

Libby and I have this unfortunate habit that we like accuracy. So while we may not like a lot of what is happening at Mt Buller, we are also not prepared to see rubbish being promulgated as truth.

Both of us have aspects of Mt Buller that we are unhappy with, but really cost of accommodation is not an enormous issue. The cost of a parent and child staying at a lodge is no different to a parent and child staying in the dorms in Perth. The choice in alternates is a bit worse - if you wanted to avoid the dorms in Perth, you had a range of apartments from basic prices to 5 star and a lot cheaper than the alternates in Mt Buller.

By working within the Mt Buller bid, we have been able to vigorously put our points of view on things like the schools comp and try and get that changed for the future. As I said to Libby after the ACT schools bid was rejected by the ACF and they went with the ASC in Mt Buller, "We've lost that battle - now we have to win the war!"

Neither of us are happy with the thought of the Aus Juniors in Mt Buller every 2 years, but we want to see how this one pans out, before deciding. As Kerry has stated elsewhere - Mt Buller has the potential to be as good for the kids as Morwell was in 2000.

No-one wanted to go to Morwell either - another Cordover initiative, with big sponsorship in the middle of no-where. Tamzin was 8 at the time and when we got out of the car in Morwell, she annouced in a very loud voice with numerous locals standing around "Oh Mummy - look! its quite pretty - its not an absolute hole like you said it would be"

Actually as far as adults go, it was a little lacking in bright lights and restaurants (and a long drive to a decent supermarket in the next town). However my kids still talk about it as the best juniors they have ever been to. Everyone stayed on campus, the kids all played basketball and tennis together (I am still missing a tennis racket that Gareth Charles borrowed and then passed onto some unknown other person!).

I actually think the Mercure is being silly by limiting the sports facilities to house guests. I know they want to have something to attract people to stay there. However the swimming and basketball court should be open to all kids playing in the juniors - that way the atmosphere prevailing in Morwell can be recaptured. At the end of the day whether the kids are going to be prepared to make the return trip to Mt Buller is going to depend on how much fun and how much socialising they can do. If a "them" and "us" attitude is going to prevail then you are not going to recapture the Morwell atmosphere.

arosar
06-08-2004, 11:59 AM
. . . As I said to Libby after the ACT schools bid was rejected by the ACF and they went with the ASC in Mt Buller, "We've lost that battle - now we have to win the war!"

Good luck with that. Given that this is supposed to be a long-term relationship, meaning "to be repeated" - I don't like your chances. Detaching the juniors will effectively kill off the deal because juniors (and their moneyed parents) represent a revenue stream.

Plus, your readily compliant stance isn't gonna win you your cause.

No-one wanted to go to Morwell either - another Cordover initiative, with big sponsorship in the middle of no-where.

Oh now that's interesting. What happened there? What's with the Guru and these back-of-beyond venues anyway?

Both of us have aspects of Mt Buller that we are unhappy with . . .

Actually as far as adults go, it was a little lacking in bright lights and restaurants (and a long drive to a decent supermarket in the next town).

. . .

I actually think the Mercure is being silly by limiting the sports facilities to house guests.

In summary, you accept that this Buller business is less than ideal, with plenty of question marks. Even the event's half-mate, Mr Sweeney, considers the MB2 deal flawed. Thus, I trust that my Mexican brothers and sisters will remain resolute and turn their backs on this event. I know of one northerner who has attended just about every Open and he has promised not to attend this one.

AR

Garvinator
06-08-2004, 12:00 PM
I actually think the Mercure is being silly by limiting the sports facilities to house guests. I know they want to have something to attract people to stay there. However the swimming and basketball court should be open to all kids playing in the juniors - that way the atmosphere prevailing in Morwell can be recaptured. At the end of the day whether the kids are going to be prepared to make the return trip to Mt Buller is going to depend on how much fun and how much socialising they can do. If a "them" and "us" attitude is going to prevail then you are not going to recapture the Morwell atmosphere. replying to this in the announcements section with the two emails from latrobe.

jenni
06-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Good luck with that. Given that this is supposed to be a long-term relationship, meaning "to be repeated" - I don't like your chances. Detaching the juniors will effectively kill off the deal because juniors (and their moneyed parents) represent a revenue stream.

I was referring to the schools not the juniors - there are 3 comps involved - the schools can be easily de linked, without putting any sponsorship at risk.

Oh now that's interesting. What happened there? What's with the Guru and these back-of-beyond venues anyway?

I think he seeks out sponsorship wherever it can be found. I don't think chess is big or glitzy enough to get sponsorship in big cities. Places like Morwell and Mt Buller are the ones who perceive a benefit. I think the sponsorship in Morwell was something like $20,000 - just for the juniors. Certainly a lot of very nice silver perpetuals were bought for the age divisions. The kids all got free drink bottles.

All of the junior parents had whinged like crazy about going to Morwell, but the kids had such a good time it was hard not to be converted. After all we don't really want to be at a chess comp for 2 weeks anyway, so what counts in the end is if the kids enjoy it.

In summary, you accept that this Buller business is less than ideal, with plenty of question marks. Even the event's half-mate, Mr Sweeney, considers the MB2 deal flawed. Thus, I trust that my Mexican brothers and sisters will remain resolute and turn their backs on this event. I know of one northerner who has attended just about every Open and he has promised not to attend this one.

AR

I haven't been to a chess comp yet that wasn't less than ideal, with lots of question marks - what's new?

If you had been to the World Youth in Oropesa for 4 years, where every year you got treated more and more like a criminal, while still having large amounts of money ripped off you, you too would view Mt Buller as quite good. :)

arosar
06-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Taken from Mt Buller Announcements thread.

Here is a copy of the four emails that I have exchanged with Latrobe regarding their facilities during summer.

Dear Latrobe Uni Public Sports Centre,

Hello, my name is Garvin Gray and I am one of the organisers for the
australian open and junior chess championships that is going to be held at
mt buller from december 28 to January 22.

I have seen the website regarding activities during summer
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/mtbuller/SportsCentre.html. I am attempting to
find out if people who are not staying at mercure grand chalet, but are
staying at other lodges, are able to use these facilities. Is the url
still accurate?

Can you please give me an update on these situations?

Yours Faithfully,

Garvin Gray
Mt Buller Chess Organiser

Hi Garvin,

At this stage the gymnasium will be open and also the Mercure Chalet has
a pool, squash courts and some gym equipment that is open to the public
during summer. The sports hall with the courts will probably not be open
as I think they plan to have the chess tables in there.

We will know the arrangements nearer the time. I hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Julie
Receptionist
La Trobe University
Mt Buller Campus

The sports hall with the courts will probably not be open as I think they
plan to have the chess tables in there.

Hello Julie,

In response to the above sentence, the chess tournaments are going to be
held in abom restaurant as this is perfectly sized for our needs.

If i understand your previous response correctly, this will then change
the situation regarding the sports hall. Is this correct?

Cheers,

Garvin Gray
Mt Buller Chess Organiser

Hello Garvin,

The sports hall is open to the public at varying prices depending on the
type of activity undertaken. We won't know the days or hours that the
sports hall will be open until nearer the time, unless you specially
want to make a group booking at a certain time.

Regards,
Julie Ferrier
Receptionist
La Trobe University
Mt Buller Campus

Laughable!! All this proves is that everything is up in the air. There is confusion and uncertainty. Yet the organisers are sticking to the party line that we ought to just take their words on faith.

And is this the way to communicate - pasting emails? Looks like amateur hour to me. All we want are fundamental details, preferably in bulleted format. We don't wanna have to wade through your dumb emails. And oh, did you get Julie's permission gray? Whatever happened to the 'privacy' and 'commercial in confidence' line? Do they not automatically apply to all communications pertaining to the organisation of the event? gray, who made you arbiter of what's private and what's not? Ooohhhh....I don't know mate, I just don't know.

(Yeah, go ahead, ask your mod mates to delete this post).

AR

ursogr8
06-08-2004, 01:23 PM

Err Umm Ahh
Don't quote me on this.
But if Morwell = Churchill, then it was WHJ, not the GURU. But I was not involved, and maybe some-one is certain.

Thus, I trust that my Mexican brothers and sisters will remain resolute and turn their backs on this event.

AR

My ear is on the ground but I don't know the Mexican intentions. Your trust may be misplaced...I just don't know.

starter

jenni
06-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Err Umm Ahh
Don't quote me on this.
But if Morwell = Churchill, then it was WHJ, not the GURU. But I was not involved, and maybe some-one is certain.

starter

You could well be right - but the Guru was the very public face of it - I didn't even know who WHJ was then, while Cordover was everywhere to be seen.

arosar
06-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Communications and negotiations are taking place between a number of Italian and especially Phillipine chess players interested in playing in the Open.

Oh I just luurrve the way you inserted the word 'especially'. Me eyes just lit up.

I let you in on a secret, just between you and me. I like to be teased a bit. So can you gimme a bit of a teaser mate? Who you been talking to - Asia's first GM?

Lemme tell you George, you're a much better communicator than that omnipresent zit - gray. I think you better handle all communiques from now on.

AR

Libby
06-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi All,

The pool,spa,gym,squash court,half basketball court in the Chalet will ONLY BE AVAILABLE TO GUESTS STAYING AT THE CHALET. All rooms with kitchens HAVE BEEN BOOKED for both tournaments.

George Howard

Thank you for this. I can't imagine why I could have expected otherwise - perhaps only because public access is advertised freely on both the Mt Buller & La Trobe websites. Although I'm sure all information is 100% accurate, I did ring Roman to (tactfully and conversationally) discuss why this was so. Apparently they expect to fill the hotel, and are already well on the way to doing so, and think the crush of bodies in the pool will be too great if the riff-raff are allowed in :) I suppose that is a reasonable argument, although I think there will probably be room in the pool for a few strays if they were allowed as I can't see an absolute stampede for the facility. The argument did not seem to be that it was necessary to entice people to the hotel with the facilities, rather that a full hotel would create a demand too great for others to use them.

Small problem seemed to be that they usually hand over management of the pool and gym in summer to La Trobe and the change hasn't been discussed with La Trobe as yet for this Summer. Perhaps that's why Julie was able to suggest we'd probably be OK for a swim. So who knows?

Letting all the kids have a swim with their mates if they wanted to, could have been a nice piece of goodwill - not to mention something for the kids to do between bushwalks :doh: Not sure if it's in any way possible it could still be negotiated or even a couple of public swimming days (rest day or particular afternoons) organised? :) Particularly if the Mercure is full and they have no compelling reason to deny access?

Hi All,

Change to Junior dates IMPORTANT!!!!!!

The dates for the Australian Junior are 11th January to 21st January not 23rd January as publicised before. It seems the Mercure have a Porsche rally starting after this date and this information fell through the cracks with the Changeover of Organisers. Roman the Events Manager at Mercure Mt Buller apologises as he should have picked it up at the start.

Consequences : U12 - the rest days coincide with the Junior and number 2 not four as before - accomodation costs are decreased.
Junior - on day two and first day after second rest day
there will be two rounds - accomodation costs are decreased.

Again apologies about Junior dates cant be helped.

Regards to ALL
George Howard
Main Organiser Mt Buller Tourneys

I guess it fell through the cracks when I was complaining that, in changing the dates to include the weekend of 22 & 23 January, the organisers were creating a giant headache for my lodge booking which :rolleyes: **suprise** :rolleyes: was occupied by Porsche car clubbers on that weekend? It's nice our accommodation costs will be reduced. I do wonder why the organisers had found it necessary to extend the U12 from it's original 11 day (2 rest day) format to 13 day (4 rest days) anyway? The obvious consequence of that was additional accommodation costs, when the need to reduce the chess demand on the U12s had already been met with the reduction from 11 to 9 rounds.

Libby
06-08-2004, 06:12 PM

My Mum always told me not to give my address out to strangers (or potential stalkers! :) )

Besides - you wouldn't need to know if you weren't planning to go. :hmm:

Alan Shore
06-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Hi All,

The pool,spa,gym,squash court,half basketball court in the Chalet will ONLY BE AVAILABLE TO GUESTS STAYING AT THE CHALET. All rooms with kitchens HAVE BEEN BOOKED for both tournaments.

George Howard

Libby, I'm sure the kids will be able to swindle in to use the facilities.. just keep it hush-hush and there'll be no worries. ;)

PHAT
06-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Even the event's half-mate, Mr Sweeney, considers the MB2 deal flawed.

I am not too sure that that is my position. I simply think hat it is an unknown quantity. However, so far it looks good from a players point of view. From a tourists point of view, well, I'll let you speak for your self.

jenni
06-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Libby, I'm sure the kids will be able to swindle in to use the facilities.. just keep it hush-hush and there'll be no worries. ;)

This is what I think too :lol:

Libby
06-08-2004, 06:25 PM
You never know - they're may be armed guards at the pool door to protect the pristine waters for the guests! ;) ;)

Look - I know all of that and I know to swim in the pool or not to swim in the pool is hardly the most earth shattering issue facing the organisers. The fact remains that there is not a lot to do in Mt Buller for the kids beyond the amusement they make for themselves with soccer or handball or whatever they can run about doing for 2 weeks. I'm hoping we might get some organised activities on at least one of the rest days but Roman's suggestions for trips included wineries, historic cottages and scenic waterways - not exactly the sort of things I imagined. :wall: Short of trips to other places, I think the best alternatives might be organised sports activities or (dare I suggest it) a pool day or afternoon. I think there are plans to have the cinema offer additional film nights etc. Who knows. I'd just like the kids & families to have a great time and that should align with what the organisers want - especially if they want us back.

Garvinator
06-08-2004, 06:26 PM
this sounds good but might be difficult. To get into the pool areas you need your hotel room card as it is a swipe type facility to access.

Libby
06-08-2004, 06:28 PM
this sounds good but might be difficult. To get into the pool areas you need your hotel room card as it is a swipe type facility to access.

Let's see - my friend has a room card, I walk in with him :D :D :D After all, half the reason the kids want to swim is because their friend will be there too.

Garvinator
06-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Let's see - my friend has a room card, I walk in with him :D :D :D
:hmm: i think ill have to talk to roman about this, security guards you reckon, i think sas would be more appropriate :lol: :lol:

arosar
06-08-2004, 06:33 PM
. . . trips included wineries, historic cottages and scenic waterways . .

OK...how far are the wineries? Costs?

AR

arosar
06-08-2004, 06:34 PM

Shut up gray. You're unimaginative. You've no business posting here. Leave it to George.

AR

jenni
06-08-2004, 06:35 PM
:hmm: i think ill have to talk to roman about this, security guards you reckon, i think sas would be more appropriate :lol: :lol:
I reckon you would need more than that to keep the average kid out - and these aren't average...

jenni
06-08-2004, 06:36 PM

AR
Now we've hit on something to interest AR :whistle:

Libby
06-08-2004, 06:43 PM

AR
Can't I interest you in the scenic waterways? I'm told the Man from Snowy River was filmed there and you can look at some cottage from that?

Hubby has family in the Mansfield area. He tells me wineries are not far away. As to cost/dates etc of anything organised - I think that's all still up in the air. Perhaps if you let George know you're keen he will make an extra effort to include a winery tour? :cool:

Garvinator
06-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Perhaps if you let George know you're keen he will make an extra effort to include a winery tour? :cool:
but amiel isnt going remember, this is all a big mistake and we will all regret it according to him :whistle:

Libby
06-08-2004, 06:55 PM
but amiel isnt going remember, this is all a big mistake and we will all regret it according to him :whistle:

Oh, I know that! I was just thinking - if the winery tour would tip the balance - it might be possible to get Amiel there after all ... :eek:

arosar
06-08-2004, 07:17 PM

Very helpful gray...very helpful...

Now, through my own contacts I happened to have found out a little about those Pinoy players. Connections gray, connections. Sounds like they come from where I come from! Very interesting!

Tell me more about these water-whatchamacallem what have yous down there. Ask your boss George to find out more about those wineries.

AR

Libby
06-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Tell me more about these water-whatchamacallem what have yous down there.

I think scenic waterways involve driving to look at expanses of water ;)

ursogr8
06-08-2004, 10:03 PM
You could well be right - but the Guru was the very public face of it - I didn't even know who WHJ was then, while Cordover was everywhere to be seen.

jenni
I am the full bottle on this now. The organising committee was Gerrit Hartland and GW, mainly. Computers were Phillip O'Connor. Coaches were Gluzman and Cordover and others. Fund raising was interesting and another story.
They tell me there was lady called JENNY who was dead against 2 rounds per day for juniors. Still tracking the surname down.

starter

jenni
06-08-2004, 11:12 PM
jenni
I am the full bottle on this now. The organising committee was Gerrit Hartland and GW, mainly. Computers were Phillip O'Connor. Coaches were Gluzman and Cordover and others. Fund raising was interesting and another story.
They tell me there was lady called JENNY who was dead against 2 rounds per day for juniors. Still tracking the surname down.

starter
Cordover also was Bulletin editor - with his unique sense of humour and ability to insult people he didn't like. I still have them - some of them were very funny, some more than a bit tasteless.

yep still don't like 2 rounds per day for Juniors. As a point of principle I even boycotted the Hervey bay juniors(for which Shannon still has not forgiven me). Unfortunately I gave up trying to hold the line a number of years ago, as there was no support in the male chess environment. (Although GW did take it on board that year - I remember badgering him at Doeberl about it). More important things keep getting in the way - like porsche car rallies.

Garvinator
06-08-2004, 11:54 PM
Cordover also was Bulletin editor - with his unique sense of humour and ability to insult people he didn't like. I still have them - some of them were very funny, some more than a bit tasteless.

yep still don't like 2 rounds per day for Juniors. As a point of principle I even boycotted the Hervey bay juniors(for which Shannon still has not forgiven me). Unfortunately I gave up trying to hold the line a number of years ago, as there was no support in the male chess environment. (Although GW did take it on board that year - I remember badgering him at Doeberl about it). More important things keep getting in the way - like porsche car rallies.
i agree with you that for major events, play should be one round per day. So you have at least support from one person ;)

Bill Gletsos
07-08-2004, 12:00 AM
i agree with you that for major events, play should be one round per day. So you have at least support from one person ;)
Too bad you dont have a vote. ;)

jenni
07-08-2004, 03:55 PM
I actually think the Mercure is being silly by limiting the sports facilities to house guests. I know they want to have something to attract people to stay there. However the swimming and basketball court should be open to all kids playing in the juniors - that way the atmosphere prevailing in Morwell can be recaptured. At the end of the day whether the kids are going to be prepared to make the return trip to Mt Buller is going to depend on how much fun and how much socialising they can do. If a "them" and "us" attitude is going to prevail then you are not going to recapture the Morwell atmosphere.

To clarify this - I think kids from outside should have to pay if they want to use the facilities - obviously if someone is staying in cheap accommodation they shouldn't get the same facilities that soemone gets who is paying big $.

When we were on Dunk Island in July we stayed at the resort, and most of the activities were included in the room price. However day trippers coming over on the ferry could buy a day pass for the resort that allowed them to use the same facilities as us.

There is an issue with possible over crowding. However it is really a non-issue. I think only the under 12's are likely to want to go swimming - the average teenager won't go near a pool. I know - I have an indoor swimming pool at home that we built because we had little kids who loved swimming - now the only people who use it are Tony and myself. (In Canberra you don't build outdoor pools!) The teenagers like to run around and play soccer or basketball and as long as there is the opportunity to do that they will be happy.

jenni
07-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Let's see - my friend has a room card, I walk in with him :D :D :D After all, half the reason the kids want to swim is because their friend will be there too.

For those people who have been frantically phoning George with worries about a clandestine ACT operation to attack the Mercure and get free swimming - the big laughing faces give you a clue. This was BB kidding around, not a genuine plan. :wall:

PHAT
07-08-2004, 04:07 PM
S'pose a big group of drunken players crashed the pool and played nude water polo while the media was in MtB. Wouldn't that get coverage?

Garvinator
07-08-2004, 04:20 PM
S'pose a big group of drunken players crashed the pool and played nude water polo while the media was in MtB. Wouldn't that get coverage?
and lose us any sponsorship deals with accor.

Libby
07-08-2004, 05:03 PM
To clarify this - I think kids from outside should have to pay if they want to use the facilities - obviously if someone is staying in cheap accommodation they shouldn't get the same facilities that soemone gets who is paying big $.

For those people who have been frantically phoning George with worries about a clandestine ACT operation to attack the Mercure and get free swimming - the big laughing faces give you a clue. This was BB kidding around, not a genuine plan. :wall:

OMG! Have I put the future of Australian chess on the line over this kerfuffle about the pool? :rolleyes: Leave aside the fact that some people appear to have no sense of humour ... :P

Can we check what I actually asked for?

:) The pool is usually open to the public in summer - for a fee and during restricted hours. I did not expect unfettered, nude ( :eek: ) or free access to the pool, I only asked if we could expect the normal public access allowed in Summer.

:( This was adamantly denied by the organisers (George) on the grounds that only those taking up the fabulous packages could use the facilities, in contrast to the deal normally afforded to the public (ie limited access, paying a fee)

:cool: I contacted Roman who assured me that the pool was going to be closed to the public because they expect the hotel to be full and there won't be room for the non-guests although they are still to run this by La Trobe who normally manage the pool for Summer.

Another poster suggests the kids might be able to sneak in now and then anyway, gg asks how that's possible without a swipe card and I :) :) suggest they might just follow their friend through the door - and that amounts to a conspiracy by the ACT officialdom to circumvent the hotel rules and put the sponsorship in jeopardy? :eh: I'm tempted to be vulgar ...

I think my latest suggestion was to see if it might be possible to extend some (paid) access to the pool on the rest days or maybe on designated afternoons. That's not intended to be a big deal aimed at getting everyone to drop all very important GM recruiting to deal with. Just a small suggestion that might enhance the enjoyment of some little kids and can't possibly upset a hotel too much who happily admit they expect to be full during the event (based on bookings already made). Wouldn't need to be an idea tackled immediately, just one to put on the shelf and consider at your leisure.

Actually, don't worry about taking up the idea, we'll keep well within the confines of our lodge and I'll try to eliminate my attempts to be lighthearted here in favour of the more serious and uplifting debate favoured by others - or maybe I'll just drop out of the debate altogether. :wall:

peanbrain
07-08-2004, 05:32 PM
and lose us any sponsorship deals with accor.

Get real gray and stop talking rubbish.

No one would have taken matt's suggestion seriously, but gray took it a step further and suggested the "sponsorship" may be lost just because some nude swimmers?! :hmm:

Great! Let's get arosar down mt buller next week and get naked, and if gray wasn't joking then we should see the whole deal called off by the buller folks by end of the week! :owned:

george
07-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Hi All,

The Swimming pool aside - GREAT NEWS

GM Dejan Antic has also agreed to play in the Australian Open making 3 GM's and more to come.

Regards
George Howard

Paul S
11-08-2004, 04:49 AM
Hi All,

GM Dejan Antic has also agreed to play in the Australian Open making 3 GM's and more to come.

Regards
George Howard

On one level this sounds good! But I object to seeing the ACF paying for foreign GMs to come out here (ie pay their airfare, accommodation etc). What have these GMs ever done for Australian Chess?

Rincewind
11-08-2004, 07:34 AM
On one level this sounds good! But I object to seeing the ACF paying for foreign GMs to come out here (ie pay their airfare, accommodation etc). What have these GMs ever done for Australian Chess?

Don't live in the past, Paul. It's what they will DO for Australian chess that is important.

Paul S
11-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Don't live in the past, Paul. It's what they will DO for Australian chess that is important.

Say what you like, Barry (which I'm sure you will, anyway ;) ).

IMHO George Howard is doing his best to make a go of MB3 and clean up the MB2 mess left by the so-called "Chess Guru". (MB1 I regard as the cancelled 2003 tournament). As the organiser how he runs MB3 is up to him.

However, instead of wasting money on overseas GMs I would rather see this money be put towards reducing accommodation costs for AUSTRALIAN chess players who attend MB3. You know, actually give some benefit to the people who week after week play chess in Australia by helping to reduce their expenses! Don't you think that this is a better use of money than wasting it on overseas GMs (BTW, I had never heard of Dejan Antic before I read George's post) who essentially are here for an all expenses paid holiday and most likely will never be seen again in Australia (unless they get another paid Australian "chess holiday" in the future).

I'm sure that the cheaper the Mount Buller accommodation is for Australian chess players (in particular families) the more people would be attracted to play there. Lets remember that Mount Buller is not like a major city whereby a lot of visiting interstate players can stay with family/friends, billet (for Juniors) or stay in cheap accommodation like dormitories. Being 40, single and employed, I could afford to stay at the Mercure for 2 weeks, but many others could not.

I wish MB3 well and hope it attracts a decent crowd despite its remote location (althogh this will be difficult as in previous years about half the people attending an Australian Championship/Open have been from the host city).

Garvinator
11-08-2004, 01:38 PM
IMHO George Howard is doing his best to make a go of MB3 and clean up the MB2 mess left by the so-called "Chess Guru". (MB1 I regard as the cancelled 2003 tournament). As the organiser how he runs MB3 is up to him. it is not just George that is running the australian open, there is an organising team and we all have different and overlapping responsibilities.

i have shortened the rest of paul s comments to save space

Paul, most of the money for overseas gms is paid for by sponsorship from accor and other sponsors. If the organising team didnt chase them, then we would not be getting the sponsors money.
Also some of the overseas gms that we are chasing are being done completely from accor money and not from the organising teams budget.

We (organising team) dont have a large budget at all without these sponsors money.

Oepty
11-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Garvin. I understand if you can't answer the following questions, just say so.

Is the tournament getting money from Accor for each GM that plays in the tournament?

Have the organisers promised Accor they will have a certain number of GM playing the event?

I believe there are three GM's committed to the tournament, but I have only read 2 names, Antic and Johansen. Who is the 3rd?

Scott

Garvinator
11-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Is the tournament getting money from Accor for each GM that plays in the tournament? pass, ask George

Have the organisers promised Accor they will have a certain number of GM playing the event? No.

I believe there are three GM's committed to the tournament, but I have only read 2 names, Antic and Johansen. Who is the 3rd? ask George.

peanbrain
11-08-2004, 08:47 PM

Exactly. Why not spend the money on our own home grown talent, like our very own "three time national champion"?! ;) :whistle:

Garvinator
11-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Exactly. Why not spend the money on our own home grown talent, like our very own "three time national champion"?! ;) :whistle:
cause he bailed on buller twice :P ;) :lol: :lol:

Rincewind
11-08-2004, 09:03 PM
However, instead of wasting money on overseas GMs I would rather see this money be put towards reducing accommodation costs for AUSTRALIAN chess players who attend MB3. You know, actually give some benefit to the people who week after week play chess in Australia by helping to reduce their expenses! Don't you think that this is a better use of money than wasting it on overseas GMs (BTW, I had never heard of Dejan Antic before I read George's post) who essentially are here for an all expenses paid holiday and most likely will never be seen again in Australia (unless they get another paid Australian "chess holiday" in the future).

Your argument that funds should be directed into reducing the cost of accomodation presupposed that said funds could be directed into those areas. Some of the expenses of the overseas players will be covered by funds which are unable to be redirected in this fashion. Therefore the money it not wasted, in fact to not have overseas players could be called "wasting" said funds (or at least opportunity).

Further to this the participation of international GMs will also help the tournament in many other ways. Potentially increase the possibiliities of norms for domestic players, thereby increasing the tournaments attractiveness; adds to the prestige of the event and makes it easier to get re-sponsorship and new sponsorship for this and subsequent events. It also paves the was for media coverage since international participation is novelty for Chess events.

My advice is broaden your horizons and try to not have such a negative and parochial attitude towards international participation in the event. As with all advice, take it with a grain of salt. ;)

ursogr8
13-08-2004, 01:01 PM
gg''
Can you advise if Mt B. will be OPEN to all who present their entrance fee; or OPEN to those who are members of affiliated Associations and Clubs?

tks
starter

arosar
13-08-2004, 01:17 PM
gg''
Can you advise if Mt B. will be OPEN to all who present their entrance fee; or OPEN to those who are members of affiliated Associations and Clubs?

Stop asking such silly questions man. With the possibility of making a loss they have no choice but to OPEN the Open to all who front up.

The real and important question is, what to do about chess players who suffer from asthma? I was talking to a coupla highly placed chess persons and this was a real concern for them.

We also want to be sure about the bus trips between Mansfield and the rock. So far these organisers have been very shifty and untrustworthy on details. Some calculations were made and I think that a trip to Mt Buller will really break the bank.

AR

Bill Gletsos
13-08-2004, 01:44 PM
gg''

tks
starter
The ACF by-laws are clear.

The entry of players residing in Australia into official ACF tournaments or matches shall only be accepted if approved by the State Association of the state where the player resides or the State Association of another State which has a border 50km or less from the player's place of residence. Should such approval not be given, the player shall have the right of appeal to the ACF Council, which is empowered to grant entry on a single event or general basis.

A State Association opposed to the participation of a player resident in its State shall have a right to appeal to the ACF against a decision by another State Association to approve the participation of such a player.

Garvinator
13-08-2004, 01:50 PM
The ACF by-laws are clear.

The entry of players residing in Australia into official ACF tournaments or matches shall only be accepted if approved by the State Association of the state where the player resides or the State Association of another State which has a border 50km or less from the player's place of residence. Should such approval not be given, the player shall have the right of appeal to the ACF Council, which is empowered to grant entry on a single event or general basis.

A State Association opposed to the participation of a player resident in its State shall have a right to appeal to the ACF against a decision by another State Association to approve the participation of such a player.

what about for players who are not residing in australia? ie overseas players?

arosar
13-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Hey Bill...what does that mean then, that we all have to get permission from our associations and state bodies? I've been down to ACT and QLD for Aus Op and I had no worries mate - no permission, no nothing.

I think this rule you cite is only applicable for certain controversial persons and situations, no? Most of the time we ignore, yes?

AR

Bill Gletsos
13-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Hey Bill...what does that mean then, that we all have to get permission from our associations and state bodies? I've been down to ACT and QLD for Aus Op and I had no worries mate.

I think this rule you cite is only applicable for certain controversial persons and situations, no? Most of the time we ignore, yes?
In the practical sense the approval is assumed unless it is specifically withheld by a State Association.
NSW would withhold it for those members who have been suspended or for non members.

Bill Gletsos
13-08-2004, 01:58 PM
what about for players who are not residing in australia? ie overseas players?
For the Aus Open overseas players can play.
For the Aus Championship its covered by By-Law 1.

Garvinator
13-08-2004, 01:59 PM
For the Aus Championship its covered by By-Law 1.
but by laws can be over ridden ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

ursogr8
13-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Stop asking such silly questions man. With the possibility of making a loss they have no choice but to OPEN the Open to all who front up.

AR
A silly question eh, my metro-friend.
We shall see.

starter

ps Ambush ahead.

Garvinator
13-08-2004, 05:52 PM
ps Ambush ahead. since we are giving advanced notice of intentions, ill do the same, here is George's email addy georgeshoward@hotmail.com. Tell him :uhoh:

PHAT
14-08-2004, 11:22 AM
The real and important question is, what to do about chess players who suffer from asthma? I was talking to a coupla highly placed chess persons and this was a real concern for them.

If they real are highly placed, and still alive, MtB will provide no greater difficulty in breathing.

Dead set whingers. Take a puffer and realise that we are not all born equil - in health or ability. Maybe I should be able to be given a pawn odds in all my games.

arosar
14-08-2004, 05:19 PM
From the NZ Congress thread:

the main fault for the failure of the two previous attempts at mt buller does not lie with accor/mercure/mt buller. So to say that it should not be held at mt buller cause of the two previous failures is rather unfair to mt buller.

MB1 and MB2 failed for reasons inherent to the whole concept. To expect a few hundred chessers to drag their butt.s all the way up a rock out in the middle of a boredomville is long, long stretch. Most experts I've spoken to believe that this Buller Open will collapse.

AR

Garvinator
14-08-2004, 05:21 PM
From the NZ Congress thread:

MB1 and MB2 failed for reasons inherent to the whole concept. To expect a few hundred chessers to drag their butt.s all the way up a rock out in the middle of a boredomville is long, long stretch. Most experts I've spoken to believe that this Buller Open will collapse.

AR
im sure that you have to be close to an official complaint being lodged against you for acting against the best interests of australian chess.

arosar
14-08-2004, 05:39 PM
im sure that you have to be close to an official complaint being lodged against you for acting against the best interests of australian chess.

You say some pretty stupid things - you know that gray?

AR

Rincewind
14-08-2004, 05:48 PM
You say some pretty stupid things - you know that gray?

Must be catching.

You claim Mt Buller will fail because it is miles from anywhere. However, as an "alternative" you promote an event in the bussling metropolis Wanganui! Mate, it's in the middle of nowhere, even by New Zealand standards.

First any Australian player would need to fly to Wellington and then haul themselves up the south coast a good three and a half hours by car. Of course you could fly but I wouldn't expect there to be a huge night-life so what you would do with your free time is anyone's guess.

arosar
14-08-2004, 05:55 PM
You claim Mt Buller will fail because it is miles from anywhere. However, as an "alternative" you promote an event in the bussling metropolis Wanganui! Mate, it's in the middle of nowhere, even by New Zealand standards.

Yeah, but mate, it's a total holiday experience. Why go half-hearted in the middle of nowhere in Mexico, a two-time failure, when you can go OS and have a bit of adventure in one of the most beautiful countries in the world? It's all about getting the best bang for your holiday buck! Get it?

AR

eclectic
14-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah, but mate, it's a total holiday experience. Why go half-hearted in the middle of nowhere in Mexico, a two-time failure, when you can go OS and have a bit of adventure in one of the most beautiful countries in the world? It's all about getting the best bang for your holiday buck! Get it?

AR

talk about seeing a great benedict arnold impersonation ....

:evil:

(but then for you the holiday experience always did come first, didn't it?)

eclectic

Garvinator
14-08-2004, 06:17 PM
a two-time failure,
you keep pushing the boundaries on how stupid i think you are, just when i think you have reached a new record, you improve it.:hand:

You are saying its a two time failure, its a two time failure with David cordover and Cv as organiser. It is a no time failure with the acf organising the events.

What do you think of the fact that nz are moving their open so it doesnt clash with the australian open in 2006? That is more of an effort to make sure both are successful than any of your actions.

Also I am being serious when i say i have had a gutful of your divisive actions and comments. Prove your claims that you have made or i will start looking through the acf constitution. :evil:

PHAT
15-08-2004, 06:42 AM

AR

Yeah, but mate, it's a total holiday experience. Why go half-hearted in the middle of nowhere in NEW ZEALAND, when you can go to AUSTRALIA and have a bit of adventure in one of the most beautiful countries in the world? It's all about getting the best bang for your holiday buck! Get it?

Rincewind
15-08-2004, 07:48 AM
It's all about getting the best bang for your holiday buck! Get it?

It's still a fair drive too and from Wellington. Have you checked the fuel prices in NZ lately? Starting to sound less and less attractive to me.

And it is not as if Wanganui is a tourist mecca in New Zealand. Most tourist don't go there. Why drive 3 and half hours to see a sleepy sea-side village? I can drive to Sussex Inlet in an hour and get the same experience. No need to fly internationally, make sure my passport is up to date, drive for hours on winding roads in a hired Barina. Just much less hassle.

Still, if you believe that half the fun is getting there, then you will have a lot more fun at Wanganui. ;)

Kevin Bonham
15-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Also I am being serious when i say i have had a gutful of your divisive actions and comments. Prove your claims that you have made or i will start looking through the acf constitution. :evil:

Meta-discussion, abuse, etc, springing from this claim has been moved to this thread: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1120

I didn't delete it because it is relevant to the Mt B thread in terms of how people conduct themselves on it but it was turning into a significant distraction from discussion about Mt B.

Further meta-discussion of a similar sort on this thread may get deleted without warning or stated reason.

arosar
24-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Let us hope this quietude isn't a symptom of this event's passing. Is it?

AR

Oepty
24-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Oh ye of little faith. I am sure things are going along well
Scott

peanbrain
24-08-2004, 08:24 PM

AR

the guru was also very silent before his bid collapsed. :cool:
may be you should tell parr to get his bids ready! ;)

Libby
25-08-2004, 11:27 AM

AR

Surely not! Now here's an opportunity that's sure to get you there (can't think why we ever worried about those damn buses! ;) )

Helicopters Victoria
Live like a rockstar this winter and chopper into ‘The Alpine Zone'
Mt Buller is now even closer for snow enthusiasts. Guests can reach the mountain via helicopter within an hour from Melbourne. With no fuel costs, chain hire, parking or gate entry hassles you can live like a rockstar. Everything will be taken care of - you'll literally be dropped on the mountain :eek: with an oversnow shuttle taking you to your Chalet door.

Pick ups are from the Trade Centre Heli-Pad, Tullamarine Airport or Essendon Airport. This is undoubtedly the quickest and most scenic route to Mt Buller. You'll fly over lake Eildon, the Bluff, Mt Stirling and of course Mt Buller - the views are magnificent.

We have two helicopters a single engine and a twin engine depending on the number of passengers. There's plenty of room for luggage and skis as well as sliding doors for easy access and stunning photo opportunities - so don't forget to pack your camera!

This season we've packaged up accommodation at the luxurious Mt Buller Chalet Hotel, dinner, lift tickets and your helicopter transport. - this all-inclusive package is the ultimate luxury alpine escape. :owned:

http://www.mtbuller.com.au/themountain/gettinghere.html

Garvinator
25-08-2004, 11:35 AM
cool libby, except its for winter isnt it :eek:

arosar
25-08-2004, 11:54 AM

You are as helpful as ever gray.

In fact, it runs all year round.

You really need to improve on your communication skills gray.

AR

Libby
25-08-2004, 12:09 PM

Yes - well along with everything on the Mt Buller website, there is a certain emphasis on the snow season (can't think why :eh: ) but I think it probably runs all year around, or could be chartered all year round.

Also ... I wasn't quite meaning to be taken seriously but others seem to miss that point on occasion (ie pool invasions :doh: ) or perhaps my sense of humour is not as transparent as I thought.

I guess we were never offered a free helicopter ride to Mt Buller ...

peanbrain
27-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Hey what's happening with mt bull?! Is it dead yet?? :whistle:

eclectic
27-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Hey what's happening with mt bull?! Is it dead yet?? :whistle:

you cynic you !

;)

:whistle:

:lol:

eclectic

ursogr8
27-08-2004, 11:31 PM

AR

hi Amiel
Here is a bone for us to wrestle with.

> Who has won the naming rights to the Aus Junior, and what did they contribute to get those rights?

starter

Garvinator
27-08-2004, 11:37 PM
> Who has won the naming rights to the Aus Junior, and what did they contribute to get those rights?

starter
can i have a go :lol: :lol:

ursogr8
28-08-2004, 03:45 PM
can i have a go :lol: :lol:

I was hoping you would gg''.
Would save a number of guessing posts if we got close to the facts straight away.
Type when ready.

starter

Garvinator
28-08-2004, 04:16 PM
The names of the tourneys

Hospitality Textiles Australian Schools Chess Championships
Hospitality Textiles Australian Junior Chess Championships.

that is the name of the sponsor. I cant go into too many details at this stage, when the brochures/entry forms and website is up and running then i can. Alot of what they have contributed has been between Mt buller and the sponsor, but has been a major asset to the ability to run the tournament at a higher level :)

PHAT
28-08-2004, 08:13 PM
http://www.hospitalitytextiles.co.nz/

ursogr8
28-08-2004, 10:53 PM
The names of the tourneys

Hospitality Textiles Australian Schools Chess Championships
Hospitality Textiles Australian Junior Chess Championships.

that is the name of the sponsor. I cant go into too many details at this stage, when the brochures/entry forms and website is up and running then i can. Alot of what they have contributed has been between Mt buller and the sponsor, but has been a major asset to the ability to run the tournament at a higher level :)

This is no answer gg''. The names were already posted. The essence is the money and benefits flow. What are the juniors getting from this sponsor?

starter

Garvinator
28-08-2004, 11:01 PM
This is no answer gg''. The names were already posted. The essence is the money and benefits flow. What are the juniors getting from this sponsor?

starter
i gave the best answer i could. You know the drill starter ;) ask George.

ursogr8
28-08-2004, 11:15 PM
i gave the best answer i could. You know the drill starter ;) ask George.

You are an Indian-giver gg''.

You asked if you could have a turn, and when I said go-ahead; all we get is "Ask the Boss".

You have made me waste two unnecessary posts, and you know how I like to economise.

starter

Garvinator
28-08-2004, 11:34 PM
You are an Indian-giver gg''.

You asked if you could have a turn, and when I said go-ahead; all we get is "Ask the Boss".

You have made me waste two unnecessary posts, and you know how I like to economise.

starter
sorry, my first post was meant as a joke. I thought you and amiel were going to play guessing games for a few laughs. So i thought i would try and entertain the joke :uhoh:

and bs for you economising posts :P

ursogr8
29-08-2004, 08:33 AM
sorry, my first post was meant as a joke. I thought you and amiel were going to play guessing games for a few laughs. So i thought i would try and entertain the joke :uhoh:

gg''

Without putting numbers ($) againt the items, could you at least spell out the benefits to the juniors. You know, like descriptive stuff.

starter

peanbrain
29-08-2004, 09:32 AM
gg''

Without putting numbers ($) againt the items, could you at least spell out the benefits to the juniors. You know, like descriptive stuff.

starter

stuff the juniors or benefits to players, that's the last thing on their minds. Their first priority is to make as much money as possible.

I reckon george and gray get lifetime supply of free sheets and towels from this mob.

ursogr8
29-08-2004, 10:16 AM

hi gag''ged

My original post was no joke. I have serious reasons or wanting to know about the Junior sponsorship arrangements.

The reasons I want to know are
> we have applied for the 05 Vic Junior and we intend to apply for the next Australian junior, and, when we approach potential sponsors it would be good to have some idea what the going rate for naming rights is.
>> And further, given that the AUS. Junior is not always going to be at the Mt B. venue we want to be able to discuss with Hospitality Textiles how they can support other venues.

starter

firegoat7
29-08-2004, 11:42 AM
> we have applied for the 05 Vic Junior and we intend to apply for the next Australian junior, and, when we approach potential sponsors it would be good to have some idea what the going rate for naming rights is.

Curious again Starter, When did Box Hill receive a bidding form for the Victorian Junior? No doubt the bidding forms for other clubs (which of course makes for a fair and democratic process), are in the mail as we speak. No doubt the efficiency of 'Oysters' will ensure that this process is properly adhered to. ;)

Garvinator
29-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Curious again Starter, When did Box Hill receive a bidding form for the Victorian Junior? No doubt the bidding forms for other clubs (which of course makes for a fair and democratic process), are in the mail as we speak. No doubt the efficiency of 'Oysters' will ensure that this process is properly adhered to. ;)
there was no bidding form fg7. After guruboys mt buller bid fell over, George Howard called for fresh bids from interested parties. Whitehorse junior put in a bid combined with other parties for all three events (from my understanding).

There is no formal bidding form as you call it. Each interested party/state just puts in a bid in any format, just as long as it meets the requirements of the constitution.

Garvinator
29-08-2004, 12:36 PM
hi gag''ged

My original post was no joke. I have serious reasons or wanting to know about the Junior sponsorship arrangements.

The reasons I want to know are
>> And further, given that the AUS. Junior is not always going to be at the Mt B. venue we want to be able to discuss with Hospitality Textiles how they can support other venues.

starter
i really now have to pass to George Howard on this topic. Sorry to do this starter but i dont have any choice. If you really want to know, here is his email georgeshoward@hotmail.com

arosar
29-08-2004, 01:53 PM
You are monumentally hopeless gray.

The Australian chess public have good reason to worry. This defeaning silence is exactly what preceded the death of MB2. We are worried.

Where are the brochures, the application forms, the website packed full of info?

Where is GH? Let's have the answers in public. Else, you guys are a bunch of jokers!!

AR

Garvinator
29-08-2004, 02:23 PM
You are monumentally hopeless gray.

The Australian chess public have good reason to worry. This defeaning silence is exactly what preceded the death of MB2. We are worried.

Where are the brochures, the application forms, the website packed full of info?

Where is GH? Let's have the answers in public. Else, you guys are a bunch of jokers!!

AR
actually it has been the bull.shit crying on here from ppl like you that has collectively been the reason why the organising team no longer replies on here anymore regarding mt buller. That is why i have taken to saying that if you have any real questions, email George Howard at georgeshoward@hotmail.com.

I take it by the fact that very few ppl have actually emailed George regarding concerns means that ppl just want to talk crap on here and dont actually really have concerns.

Or more pointedly, some of you consider some members of the organising team to be weak links and are getting frustrated cause those supposed weak links arent giving you the information that means your own personal agendas.

Well get used to it. If you dont like my posting style- tell George at georgeshoward@hotmail.com

arosar
29-08-2004, 08:09 PM
gray...this Mt-nowhere tournament is exactly that! Just got back from NSW states where I canvassed a coupla 2000+ players as to whether they intented to go. First question they ask me is: what state is that in?

Is this tournament even going ahead?

AR

Garvinator
29-08-2004, 08:15 PM
gray...this Mt-nowhere tournament is exactly that! Just got back from NSW states where I canvassed a coupla 2000+ players as to whether they intented to go. First question they ask me is: what state is that in?

Is this tournament even going ahead?

AR
you clearly didnt work out the point of my previous comment, so ill say it even more clearer. I dont give a stuff what you say amiel. You have made is plainly clear that you are not supporting this event. Even further, you would rather support nz chess than australian chess.

arosar
29-08-2004, 08:28 PM
Me? Not support aussie chess? Let see . . . shall I count the number of tourns I've played in?

gray . . . no one knows anything about this tournament. Youse blokes have promised us all the info, brochures, etc. None have been forthcoming. And we're less than 6 months away! Mate, what's going on?

Your silence is not helping because people are left in the dark. Being left in the dark means they can't make advance bookings which means zero savings! Do you understand this? So I ask you: is this tournament going ahead? Where's the main organiser? He seems to have gone into hiding.

Can't you see that your communication strategy is plain stupid? I'm helping you here mate. G'night gray. Before you respond I need you to think very long and hard. As the official mouthpiece, you're not doing a good job. But I think this is because, as we can now all see, you've been gagged. I pity you gray.

AR

Garvinator
29-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Me? Not support aussie chess? Let see . . . shall I count the number of tourns I've played in?

gray . . . no one knows anything about this tournament. Youse blokes have promised us all the info, brochures, etc. None have been forthcoming. And we're less than 6 months away! Mate, what's going on?

Your silence is not helping because people are left in the dark. Being left in the dark means they can't make advance bookings which means zero savings! Do you understand this? So I ask you: is this tournament going ahead? Where's the main organiser? He seems to have gone into hiding.

Can't you see that your communication strategy is plain stupid? I'm helping you here mate. G'night gray. Before you respond I need you to think very long and hard. As the official mouthpiece, you're not doing a good job. But I think this is because, as we can now all see, you've been gagged. I pity you gray.

AR

all i have to say to you ar is fu :evil:

arosar
29-08-2004, 08:33 PM
all i have to say to you ar is fu :evil:

C'mon mate...we don't wanna see another emotional breakdown from you OK? Calm down. You're fragile you know that?

AR

ursogr8
29-08-2004, 08:41 PM

fg7
We received the bidding forms at the November 2003 Chess Victoria AGM, like all other delegates of AFFILIATED Clubs who were in attendance.
In my experience they are issued in this way every year.
I can't ever recall them arriving by mail. (But then Whitehorse <who is the JUNIOR bidder> has only been attending for a few years).

But in the spirit of total co-operation I offer my services as your MCC delegate for 2004. I will attend the meeting, collect the forms, mail the forms to you, AND, I will give you a written report of proceedings. All I need is a letter of authority from you.

kindest regards in keen anticipation
starter

ursogr8
29-08-2004, 08:43 PM
there was no bidding form fg7. After guruboys mt buller bid fell over, George Howard called for fresh bids from interested parties. Whitehorse junior put in a bid combined with other parties for all three events (from my understanding).

There is no formal bidding form as you call it. Each interested party/state just puts in a bid in any format, just as long as it meets the requirements of the constitution.
Err, umm, ahh.

raggy'
In your haste to post you did not notice he (fg7) was referring to the VIC JUNIOR, not the AUS. JUNIOR
starter

Garvinator
29-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Err, umm, ahh.

raggy'
In your haste to post you did not notice he (fg7) was referring to the VIC JUNIOR, not the AUS. JUNIOR
starter
yeah your right, sorry didnt read correctly, perhaps cause its a mt buller thread ;)

ursogr8
29-08-2004, 08:58 PM
I take it by the fact that very few ppl have actually emailed George regarding concerns means that ppl just want to talk crap on here and dont actually really have concerns.

This might be a dangerous assumption to make gg''.

Be careful not to confuse your organising parties inability to filter the good from the bad on this BB with the risk of not listening to valuable feedback.

Or more pointedly, some of you consider some members of the organising team to be weak links and are getting frustrated cause those supposed weak links arent giving you the information that means your own personal agendas.

Our frustration is a different animal from the risk you take by not listening.
starter

Garvinator
29-08-2004, 09:26 PM
This might be a dangerous assumption to make gg''.

Be careful not to confuse your organising parties inability to filter the good from the bad on this BB with the risk of not listening to valuable feedback.

Our frustration is a different animal from the risk you take by not listening.
starter
here is a thought starter, why is it that no one from the organising committee bothers to reply regarding mt buller? I do know the answer, just want to see your thoughts first.

Paul S
29-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Even further, you would rather support nz chess than australian chess.

Me and Amiel are playing in the NSW State Championships (first round was today).

Fortunately (for Garvin) or unfortunately (for players interested in playing in NZ) Amiel was running late today and thus forgot to bring his NZ Open (Wanganui) flyers with him to the NSW State Championships.

Amiel said he would remember to bring the NZ Open (Wanganui) flyers with him next Sunday (Round 2 of NSW State Championships).

Garvinator
29-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Me and Amiel are playing in the NSW State Championships (first round was today).

Fortunately (for Garvin) or unfortunately (for players interested in playing in NZ) Amiel was running late today and thus forgot to bring his NZ Open (Wanganui) flyers with him to the NSW State Championships.

Amiel said he would remember to bring the NZ Open (Wanganui) flyers with him next Sunday (Round 2 of NSW State Championships).
and amiel will rightly be shown the door :hand: it is not fortunately for me, it is fortunately for the whole of australian chess and especially the organising team.

Kevin Bonham
29-08-2004, 10:30 PM

No, you're just trolling.

Event's four months away, I wouldn't normally expect this stuff out anywhere near this early.

Staying away from wasting time debating the trolls here is probably a good use of their time.

eclectic
29-08-2004, 11:05 PM
No, you're just trolling.

Event's four months away, I wouldn't normally expect this stuff out anywhere near this early.

Staying away from wasting time debating the trolls here is probably a good use of their time.

aren't brochures meant to be printed soon?

besides organisational progress is sure to be listed in either a forthcoming ACF bulletin/newsletter or on the ACF website

[no skin off my teeth as i shan't be attending]

eclectic

Bill Gletsos
29-08-2004, 11:54 PM

I thought my mate AR agreed on the BB not to hand them out.
He might have to play his games in the car park. ;)

Paul S
30-08-2004, 12:10 AM
I thought my mate AR agreed on the BB not to hand them out.

Amiel's promise only applied to yesterday's (29/8/04) round! :P ;)

He might have to play his games in the car park. ;)

You wouldn't do that to him, would you, Bill? ;)

I thought you said Amiel was your mate! :lol:

P.S. I think Amiel was being a bit tongue-in-cheek about handing out NZ Open flyers next week, although with Amiel you never know! I guess we will find out next Sunday!

ursogr8
30-08-2004, 08:08 AM
here is a thought starter, why is it that no one from the organising committee bothers to reply regarding mt buller? I do know the answer, just want to see your thoughts first.

First, you are busy.
Second, because the real world is full of people who can be positive or negative. And the negative drain your energy. So the first survival instinct is to ignore all in an attempt to ignore the negative.
However, the risk in avoiding all is that you miss the good ideas that can come from all.
So, ragge''d, I see you in survival mode at a time most when you need your energy.

starter

ps (you as in the Mt B Committee)

arosar
01-09-2004, 01:53 PM
From our third GM thread . . .

I believe the player you are talking about is GM Dejan Antic. This is the same player who has been mentioned as playing in the Australian Open

Any other GMs playing in this Mt-you-know-what tournament?

Say, how's Mr Howard doing in Mt Buller? Must be enjoying himself, ain't he?

AR

skip to my lou
01-09-2004, 05:21 PM
You may create new threads since now there is a dedicated forum for Mt Buller!

This thread is getting too long!

skip to my lou
01-09-2004, 05:27 PM
I've moved as many Mt Buller threads as I could see over here, let me know if I missed anything.

Garvinator
01-09-2004, 06:49 PM
we are on the calendar at mt buller:

http://www.mtbuller.com.au/summer/calendar.html

arosar
01-09-2004, 08:11 PM
we are on the calendar at mt buller:

http://www.mtbuller.com.au/summer/calendar.html

Oooohhhh....aaaahhhhh . . . . how exciting . . . what an achievement . . .

AR

Kevin Bonham
04-09-2004, 05:49 PM
This thread has been locked by Jeo because the main existing Mt Buller threads are too long and are becoming unwieldy to handle for moderation. Feel free to continue discussion on a new thread.