PDA

View Full Version : Australian Junior 2010 in Hobart! (Jan 14-25)

Pages : [1] 2

Kevin Bonham
14-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Tournament website: http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/AJCC/index.html

The Tasmanian Chess Association will be hosting the Australian Junior 2010 in Hobart on behalf of the Australian Junior Chess League. This will be the first time the full Australian Junior has been held in the state for 35 years! This post is just to give some preliminary basic details, all of which are subject to final confirmation; full details will be online on a website established for the event in coming months.

Dates: January 14-25 2010. Note date change

Venue: The Hutchins School, Sandy Bay, Hobart. One of Tasmania's leading private schools.

Accommodation: The main accommodation option is expected to be a set of very roomy student villas at a nearby student college, with the cost coming out at around $30/person/night for a 6-person share. This venue is only 1 km from the tournament hall. Slightly more expensive single dorm accommodation will also be available, and those wishing to find their own accommodation can do so easily at whatever level they desire with the venue being only a few kilometres from the Hobart CBD. However, don't leave booking too late as Hobart tends to get very full in summer!

Schedule: Will be very similar to 2009 Aus Junior with one day with two rounds, one rest day with rapid, one rest day with lightning and problem solving.

Organisers: The main organisers are Russell Horton (TCA Junior Chess Officer), Mellissa Harvey (Hobart International Junior Chess Club) and Kevin Bonham (TCA Secretary/ACF Vice-President). Russell and Mellissa are very hardworking people who have done a great deal for Tasmanian junior chess in recent years.

Social events: We will be aiming to provide various social events for players and parents to make the event as friendly and enjoyable as possible and give parents more options for things to do while the tournament is on.

Official website should be online by around the end of March.

Kevin Bonham
Director of Play
Australian Junior 2010

Kevin Bonham
16-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Please note change of date to Jan 14-25. We have made the event start and finish one day later to reduce the risk of clashes with the expected dates for the 2010 Australian Championships in Sydney.

I am pleased to announce that very experienced and highly respected arbiters of several past Australian Juniors, IA Charles Zworestine and IA Roland Eime, have agreed to act as arbiters for this event (and have even agreed to cut their fees if needed to assist us to break even.)

Accommodation has been booked. We expect to be "going live" on the Australian Junior Chess League website with details and entry forms in the next few weeks and I will announce here when the website is up.

Kevin Bonham
Director of Play
Australian Junior 2010

Davidflude
20-04-2009, 07:27 AM
I have sent out details to everybody on the Chess Victoria mailing list. Hopefully this will reach the various club officials and lots of juniors.

Kevin Bonham
20-04-2009, 02:08 PM
The following is the tournament schedule for the event:

Thursday 14th
Registration 11:30 am
Opening 1:15 pm
Round 1 1:30 pm

Friday 15th
Round 2 1 pm

Saturday 16th
Round 3 9 am
Round 4 2 pm

Sunday 17th
Rapid 12pm

Monday 18th
Round 5 1 pm

Tuesday 19th
Rapid presentations at start of round
Round 6 1 pm

Wednesday 20th
Round 7 1 pm

Thursday 21st
Round 8 1 pm

Friday 22nd
Problem solving competition 10 am
Lightning 1 pm

Saturday 23rd
Problem solving presentation at start of round
Round 9 1 pm

Sunday 24th
Lightning presentation at start of round
Round 10 1 pm

Monday 25th
Round 11 9 am
Presentations 2 pm
End-of-tournament social event to follow

(More social events are expected to be added.)

Notes:
a) The U18 Open, Under 12 Open, Under 18 Girls and Under 12 Girls tournaments are scheduled to have 11 rounds. This may be changed depending on entries to either a 9 round Swiss or a Round Robin event.

b) A double round is scheduled for the 3rd day - before the rest day.

c) The Rapid tournaments will be played in two sections Under 18 and U12. These will be either 6 or 7 round Swiss events depending on entries.

d) The lightning tournament will be played in two sections Under 18 and U12. These will be 11 round Swiss events.

e) The venue is designed to be cool in summer conditions and air conditioning is not available. If there is an extreme heatwave, games may be scheduled with an earlier start.

Kevin Bonham
Director of Play
Australian Junior 2010

Mischa
20-04-2009, 10:20 PM
One thing that has made this event affordable in the past for those of us not finacially liquid is the offering of billets .
I know in Victoria this is something we have always tried to offer.Even when to event was away from Melbourne I have often billetd kids or adults .
I know this was a huge thing in Adelaide, especially the rather insulting offer of billeting for a cost of $350...

I would like to stress that this is in no way an attack on the organisers who do such a marvellous job but rather on a framework that was based on a rather skewed premise...that being that the needs of the coache"s finances outway the needs of the competitors and their backing financiers...their parents!

Kevin Bonham
21-04-2009, 12:35 AM
One thing that has made this event affordable in the past for those of us not finacially liquid is the offering of billets .

We are not in a position to commit to offering billets at this stage, but are looking into whether we will be able to do so - if so it would be likely to be a very limited number of places for needy cases.

I know this was a huge thing in Adelaide, especially the rather insulting offer of billeting for a cost of $350...

Who did (or would) the $350 go to?

Lakshman
25-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Accommodation: The main accommodation option is expected to be a set of very roomy student villas at a nearby student college, with the cost coming out at around $30/person/night for a 6-person share.

Hi Kevin,
Would you have more details on the student villas and the name of the student college? Are parents allowed to stay with the child participating in the tournaments in these student villas? what other facilities are available in the student villas?
Thanks

ER
25-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Lakshman
Kevin has partly answered this question in his interview, ref. "An Interview" thread - latest posting!
BTW Kevin I think that interview should be better relocated here since it deals solely with the thread's topic.
I did the same with Grant in his interview since it was about MCC!

Kevin Bonham
25-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Would you have more details on the student villas and the name of the student college? Are parents allowed to stay with the child participating in the tournaments in these student villas? what other facilities are available in the student villas?
Thanks

It's Christ College which is one of the Uni's three main student colleges. Yes parents will be able to book there and stay with their children. All bookings will be handled through the accommodation section of the website when that's up and I will post a notice to this thread to advise when this is the case. The student villas are basically houses - they have their own cooking facilities, their own loungerooms and so on. They are quite modern-looking and I believe were built in the last ten years or so. Christ College also has its own mini cafe/restaurant but I am unsure of its opening hours during the tournament at this stage. Will post more info as it comes to hand.

Lakshman
26-04-2009, 09:34 AM
It's Christ College which is one of the Uni's three main student colleges. Yes parents will be able to book there and stay with their children. All bookings will be handled through the accommodation section of the website when that's up and I will post a notice to this thread to advise when this is the case. The student villas are basically houses - they have their own cooking facilities, their own loungerooms and so on. They are quite modern-looking and I believe were built in the last ten years or so. Christ College also has its own mini cafe/restaurant but I am unsure of its opening hours during the tournament at this stage. Will post more info as it comes to hand.

Thanks Kevin for a detailed clarification. That answers all my questions. Look forward to the website up and running to enable booking entry for the tournament as well as accomodation.

Alana
27-04-2009, 04:48 PM
damn... wish I could play Oz Juniors 2010... but I'm too old :( XD

Kevin Bonham
29-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I've moved the general discussion about how many rounds a day the Australian Junior should have here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=239459). As a mod I think it's best put there as it's a topic that is going to recur in future years and deserves a thread of its own, and people should feel free to speak up on that topic without feeling that they are getting in the way of promotion of the event.

As an organiser I've appreciated the comments on the issue, since even though the format is set for this year and won't be altered, it adds to my understanding of what different people expect out of the event which will hopefully help to make it more successful. I'll be following the format discussion with interest and it didn't bother me as an organiser to have it on this thread at all.

Kevin Bonham
30-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Registration of entries is now available online here (http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/AJCC/entry_form.php). At the end of registration you should get a registration code to use if paying online by direct deposit. Payment by cheque is also possible.

Kevin Bonham
Director of Play
Australian Junior 2010

Lakshman
30-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Registration of entries is now available online here (http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/AJCC/entry_form.php). At the end of registration you should get a registration code to use if paying online by direct deposit. Payment by cheque is also possible.

Kevin Bonham
Director of Play
Australian Junior 2010
Kevin,
I already registered my son, Vinay Lakshman last week but somehow missed to get the registration code, is it possible for you to forward via email which i provided in the registration form online. Also if you could provide me with BSB & Account Number for online payment.
Would you have an idea as to when the "Accomodation" link would be put up on the website to enable book in advance?
Regards

eclectic
30-04-2009, 06:47 PM
have a look in your email junk mail folder; it might be there

ER
30-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I already registered my son, Vinay Lakshman last week
GO VINAY!!! GO Box Hill Chess Club!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lakshman
30-04-2009, 06:56 PM
have a look in your email junk mail folder; it might be there
I did recieve a confirmation email , but no registration number.

Kevin Bonham
30-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Kevin,
I already registered my son, Vinay Lakshman last week but somehow missed to get the registration code, is it possible for you to forward via email which i provided in the registration form online. Also if you could provide me with BSB & Account Number for online payment.

Apologies for this. My mistake - what happened is that I forgot to cut and paste your email address into the confirmation email I got from the site when replying. Fresh confirmation email sent. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Would you have an idea as to when the "Accomodation" link would be put up on the website to enable book in advance?

Not sure exactly when this will go up (we are getting some insurance details together for them that they have just requested) but it should be very soon. I will post to this thread as soon as it is up.

mikesguns
05-05-2009, 08:17 PM
How much does it cost to register for U16 tournement, the lightning and the rapid tournament?

Kevin Bonham
05-05-2009, 09:10 PM
How much does it cost to register for U16 tournement, the lightning and the rapid tournament?

For early entries $90 + $20 + $20 = $130.

Froggy
15-05-2009, 02:45 PM

Kevin Bonham
Director of Play
Australian Junior 2010

Suggestion for the organisers...

Was trying to find the web page for info on the 2010 juniors (without trolling through this thread) so put "Australian junior Chess 2010" into Google. The first web site other than this chatboard was the Aus Junior site which has a page all setup, ready to go but no info on it. Next thing I tried was putting "Tasmanian Chess" into Google. Takes me to the TCA website which I then sit and look at for a few minutes before deciding it is all too hard and then going back to here to find the obscure link to the correct page.
Later went back to the TCA web site and tried all the icons as it didn't make sense that a link was not there and finally worked out that the bottom icon took me to the page. BTW I did try the "events page" link on the TCA page and got to a list of events including the juniors which was then not linked to the actual page.

I would expect the average parent, who does not live on this forum and does not work in IT, would struggle to easily find how to sign up their kids. Would suggest that a clearer link from the TCA page (ie in words not icons!!) plus if the tournament is listed under the "events page" then make it a live link as well, plus get the Aus Junior website to remove their half done page and instead link to the TCA page if that is going to be the official page.

Kevin Bonham
15-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestion which I will pass on to the webmaster. Yes, there was a page half done on the AUSJCL website and then Ross decided it worked better to run it off the TCA website - over this weekend I will be doing publicity through the AUSJCL list and other email sources to get the word out about where to find the information, especially now that accommodation has just gone online too.

Speaking of which there will be an announcement about accommodation here this weekend as well.

Nicholas D-C
16-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Does the venue have wireless internet?

Kevin Bonham
17-05-2009, 06:41 PM

I don't know this but will find out and post the answer here.

Accommodation

The accommodation part of the website is now online at http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/AJCC/accommodation.html

The accommodation section contains an enlargeable floor plan of the apartments we have booked, information about the apartment and catering options, and contains a section where you can book online (need to register at least one entry first - registration is at http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/AJCC/entry_form.php).

All accommodation enquiries should be addressed to Mellissa Harvey (mellissa.harvey@bigpond.com), ph 03 6223 1991). However, the post below may cover some of the commoner questions.

Our group accommodation is at Christ College which is one of the university's residential student colleges. It is just over 1 km from the venue and can be walked very safely (the only busy road is crossed by an overpass and underpasses).

Rates

The cost is $2650 per apartment for a 12-night stay (about $37/person/night if six are sharing) and this includes free continental breakfast in the college cafe.

What if you want to arrive early or stay later?

Extra nights can be added to your booking at $300/apartment/night ($50/person/night for group of six).

What if you only want to stay 11 nights?

Unfortunately there is no discount for those only wanting to stay 11 nights but there is no problem with staying for 11 nights if you want to do that.

Availability

We currently have about 29 6-bedroom apartments allocated to us and these will be held for us until the end of June. Beyond that they will probably still be available for some time, but there is a risk that other users may book some or all of those remaining. Each group must be connected to at least one registered entry, but how many people stay in each apartment is up to the booker. Placing a booking will send an email to Mellissa Harvey who is Accommodation Co-ordinator for the event. The site will ask you to pay a deposit (I believe it is 25% within ten days) to secure your booking.

Group bookings and what to do for groups of less than six

Because of issues that can arise with placing children with adults (or other children) who don't know them, we are not allowed to take bookings for parts of apartments. We will be taking bookings for whole apartments only, with the responsibility for who stays in that apartment taken by whoever books it.

However we realise that many parents will be in the situation of only wanting to book accommodation for, say, 2-3 people, and will be looking for others to share with. If you are in this situation and don't know anyone else who is going who you can share with, feel free to place a message on this thread, and also let Mellissa know.

I have a group of seven; do I need to book two villas?

No. Although the apartments are nominally "6 bedroom" there is certainly room to fit one or two more if necessary and someone is happy to sleep on the floor.

Kevin Bonham
Director of Play
Australian Junior 2010

PS: Additional to my response in #22, I have now put the tournament website into the top post and will also put it in my sigfile.

Vlad
18-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Kevin,

I was trying to register Anton for the tournament and had couple issues.

1) The form did not allow me to register Anton for under 18. It automatically placed him in the under 12. I believe historically it has always been allowed to play in higher divisions.

2) Do I have to register Anton for the extra events (lightning, etc.) now or it is possible to do that on the day? Again in the past it was allowed to enter on the day or possibly day before.

Thanks.

Kevin Bonham
18-05-2009, 01:19 AM
Kevin,

I was trying to register Anton for the tournament and had couple issues.

1) The form did not allow me to register Anton for under 18. It automatically placed him in the under 12. I believe historically it has always been allowed to play in higher divisions.

Register him for the Under 12 and we will transfer him to the Under 18. (Note: U18 tournament is $90 not $80). There is no problem with U12 players playing in the U18 division.

2) Do I have to register Anton for the extra events (lightning, etc.) now or it is possible to do that on the day? Again in the past it was allowed to enter on the day or possibly day before.

Entering on the day before for the extra events is no problem.

Vlad
28-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Kevin,

I was trying to make a direct deposit today. I could not find the account name for the account I am expected to deposit into. It is currently saying:

Direct bank Deposit:
Commonwealth Bank
BSB:067-400
Account number: 28030272

There is no information about the account name unless your account name is Commonwealth Bank.:)

Thanks.

Kevin Bonham
28-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Kevin,

I was trying to make a direct deposit today. I could not find the account name for the account I am expected to deposit into. It is currently saying:

Direct bank Deposit:
Commonwealth Bank
BSB:067-400
Account number: 28030272

There is no information about the account name unless your account name is Commonwealth Bank.:)

Thanks.

Thanks. The account name is Tasmanian Chess Association and the account number is correct. Some deposits have been coming through OK but I will get the webmaster to fix it so that it clearly says Tasmanian Chess Association.

Kevin Bonham
13-06-2009, 03:01 AM

As I currently understand it, the answer is yes but we are not allowed to use it.

Those with mobile phones with internet capacity should find they work at the venue. I have seen one used successfully there.

Apart from answering the above, just posting to let people who haven't seen the Comings and Goings thread know that I will be offline and uncontactable for most of the next week and a half so may be slow replying to registration emails and so on. Normal service will resume on 24 June.

Nicholas D-C
24-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Kevin, could you post a list of the registered players when more entries start to come in? Thanks in advance. I am intending to register pretty soon.:cool:

ER
25-06-2009, 07:51 AM
There are news that a contingent of Kiwi juniors are coming to Tassie for the event! :clap: :clap: :clap: They are most welcome and I an sure that the organisers and their fellow chessplayers will make their stay in Australia most pleasant and happy! :D

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Kevin, could you post a list of the registered players when more entries start to come in? Thanks in advance. I am intending to register pretty soon.:cool:

Yes I'll do that when the number of formally registered players has built up a bit.

There are news that a contingent of Kiwi juniors are coming to Tassie for the event!

Excellent! I actually hadn't heard that.

ER
25-06-2009, 04:42 PM
If I am not mistaken it was in Amiel's blog!

mikesguns
25-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Is this FIDE rated or/and ACF rated

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Certainly ACF rated; we'll check what has been the previous practice as regards FIDE rating for this event.

mikesguns
25-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Ok because I was checking this years FIDE tournaments processed for April and the 2009 Junior Chess Championship was there. The link is http://ratings.fide.com/tournament_list.phtml?moder=ev_code&country=AUS&rating_period=2009-04-01

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Looks like they FIDE-rated the U18 section only.

mikesguns
25-06-2009, 06:56 PM
How come the FIDE website doens't show all participants.

Rhubarb
30-06-2009, 10:58 PM
I have already been in communication with maddam12, but for the benefit of everyone else, the Australian Junior (Open U/18 only) has traditionally been FIDE rated for a long time now and the cost of doing so has been borne by the ACF in recent years. It may be possible to rate other Aus Junior events in the future but for now it is simply not worth it.

Final calculations of FIDE-rated Swiss events only include players who are already FIDE rated and players who achieve a block towards a FIDE rating.

Kevin Bonham
01-07-2009, 03:02 AM
If anyone who has registered as an entrant has not received a confirmation email from me (ie one with "Kevin Bonham" as sender) within a week of registering, please send me a PM to let me know. Just checking to make sure the website is passing on all registrations OK.

mikesguns
03-07-2009, 09:00 AM
What is the time limit for this tournament?

ER
03-07-2009, 09:59 AM
What is the time limit for this tournament?

I checked out too, and this very important bit of information has not yet been provided.
I am sure Kevin will see to it as soon as he reads this!

mikesguns
03-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Do you know if all the good juniors are playing because I remember last year most of them didn't. By good juniors i mean 1800+

ER
03-07-2009, 10:17 AM
too early to know, it's up to them I guess!

Oepty
03-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Do you know if all the good juniors are playing because I remember last year most of them didn't. By good juniors i mean 1800+

You are never going to get ALL the good juniors playing, but I would expect more of them to play than in Adelaide. There will no clash between tournaments and I think no Queenstown which makes things a bit easier. Also the accomadation options seem to be better in Hobart than in Adelaide. From an SA perspective I think Fedja Zulfic is highly likely to play. Also Zac Searle and Alistair Cameron, who might be over 1800 by then, are probably going to play as well.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
03-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Time limits as accepted by AUSJCL are 90/+60 for the U18 tournaments and 60/+60 for the U12. 5/0 for lightning and 20/+10 for rapid.

Under 18 will be FIDE rated.

What Scott said - we hope that the lack of clashes will mean a lot more of the strong juniors are able to play. Too early to say what the strength of the field will be like based on confirmed reservations at this stage. I will post a list of entries when numbers build up a little more.

Speaking of reservations a glitch has been found in the registration system that affects some browsers. It has been fixed and tested. We don't think it has affected many people, but anyone who registered and did not get a registration number or a confirmation email from me needs to register again - apologies for the inconvenience.

that Caesar guy
06-07-2009, 08:10 PM
I think the reason that a lot of top juniors aren't playing is the fact that no other top juniors are playing, if you get what I mean. If we could get the countries top juniors all playing, it would be an incredible tournament. In the past, however, the junior tourney was held at the same time as the Aus Open/Champs. Not this time. Tasmania is a lovely place with lovely people, and I would be happy to play if I knew top juniors were also participating.

JM

Kevin Bonham
06-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Sounds like perhaps three or four of the strong juniors need to get their heads together and decide they will all commit to playing, in that case. :D Hopefully some will take the lead from James' post above.

WhiteElephant
06-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Not telling anyone how to run their tournaments but curious - Kevin - have the organisers sent the top juniors personal invitations? Even an email saying it would be great to have you participate this year with info etc.

Kevin Bonham
06-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Not telling anyone how to run their tournaments but curious - Kevin - have the organisers sent the top juniors personal invitations? Even an email saying it would be great to have you participate this year with info etc.

No, we haven't; thanks for the suggestion, I'll discuss it with the others.

Watto
06-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Sounds like perhaps three or four of the strong juniors need to get their heads together and decide they will all commit to playing, in that case. :D Hopefully some will take the lead from James' post above.
Yes, it would make for a very interesting tournament if the strongest juniors turned up (The live games would also generate a lot of interest.)
Speaking of which, here's David Smerdon's response to a question from JaK, in the interview thread: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=246426#post246426 (Smerdon interview starts on post 230; for those who don't know, the index of all the interviews is in the first post of the interview thread)

Now for another controversial topic: While I am sending you these questions, the Vic Junior Championships take place. Of what we have witnessed, clearly some of the best junior players of the State, do not participate. Does that diminish the value of the title?

Yes, very much so. I think top juniors should play; they are role models in themselves, and need to take that responsibility in setting an example for their peers and the younger generation.

Kevin Bonham
11-09-2009, 11:56 PM
It is about two months to go until the cutoff date for early entry discount.

At this early stage 37 entries have been received. Note that these are registered entries only; most, but not all, have paid. Registered entries must pay by 13 November to get the early entry discount.

Please notify any errors by PM or post.

Ratings are from the September 2009 ACF list.

U18 Open (15)

Grigg, Samuel U16 QLD 1900
Setiabudi, Allen U18 ACT 1782
Cameron, Alastair U16 SA 1722
Chen, PengYu U14 NSW 1715
Milton, Anthony U18 SA 1706
Jule, Sebastian U18 QLD 1700
Smirnov, Anton U14* NSW 1668
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1538
Horton, Vincent U14 TAS 1508
Briant, Jamie U16 TAS 1404
Milton, Tom U16 SA 1389
Lekkas, Frank U18 VIC 1375
Lakshman, Vinay U16 VIC 1281
Li, Tim (Yitong) U16 NSW 1254
Krishnan, Santosh U14 NSW 838

U12 Open (14)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1624
Carter, Mason U12 TAS 1351
Behar, Joshua U12 NSW 1318
Mason, Stuart U12 ACT 1223
Cameron, Lachlan U12 SA 1158
Wallmueller, Peter U10 VIC 1103
Walker, Joshua U12 ACT 983
Kethro, Michael U12 ACT 974
Briant, Harry U12 TAS 899
Willathgamuwa, Rohan U8 NSW 354
Willathgamuwa, Kevin U8 NSW 261
Basit, Mohammed U10 NSW
Cheng, Daniel U12 NSW
Zelich, Ivan U12 QLD

U18 Girls (7)

Setiabudi, Megan U14G ACT 1347
Shan, Caroline U14G NSW 1201
Mason, Joanne U14G ACT 965
Woodwell, Gemma U16G TAS 749
Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 702
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 634
Lu, Ruihong U14G VIC

U12 Girls (1)

Shan, Grace U10G NSW 166

[Edit: I've deleted three test entries mistakenly included when I first posted this!]

Lekko
17-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Kevin, I don't recall entering this tournament. Why is my name on the list?

Kevin Bonham
17-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Kevin, I don't recall entering this tournament. Why is my name on the list?

A web booking for registration was made in your name on 28 May. I'll PM you the details of that registration. No entry fee has been paid.

Kevin Bonham
04-10-2009, 12:58 AM
It is about six weeks to go until the cutoff date for early entry discount.

At this stage 46 entries have been received. Note that these are registered entries only; most, but not all, have paid. Registered entries must pay by 13 November to get the early entry discount.

Please notify any errors by PM or by posting here.

U18 Open (17)

Brown, Andrew U18 ACT 1974
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1538
Milton, Tom U16 SA 1389
Short, Owen U18 TAS 1268

* = playing above age division.

U12 Open (18)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1624
Nicholls, Stuart U12 SA 942
Gong, William U10 NSW 918
Hughes, Harry U12 QLD 806
Gong, Noah U8 NSW 706
Basit, Mohammed U10 NSW
Cheng, Daniel U12 NSW
Zelich, Ivan U12 QLD

U18 Girls (9)

Drastik, Penelope U14G NSW 1021
Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 702
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 634
Narenthran, Janaki U16G VIC 433
Lu, Ruihong U14G VIC

U12 Girls (2)

Narenthran, Savithri U12G VIC 810
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 166

Kevin Bonham
13-10-2009, 01:09 AM
It is exactly one month to go until the cutoff date for early entry discount.

At this stage 56 entries have been received. Note that these are registered entries only; most, but not all, have paid. Registered entries must pay by 13 November to get the early entry discount.

U18 Open (21)

Muller, Jonas U18 QLD 1929
Bretag, Lawrence U18 TAS 1553
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1538
Milton, Tom U16 SA 1389
Daenke, Steven U16 SA 1373
Short, Owen U18 TAS 1268
Bull-quijano, Damar U14 VIC 859

U12 Open (23)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1624
Lim, Ethan U8 VIC 935
Gong, Noah U8 NSW 706
Ansari, Azaharuddin U12 Nepal
Basit, Mohammed U10 NSW
Cheng, Daniel U12 NSW
Khadka, Vishwa U12 Nepal
Mukhedkar, Varan U12 WA
Ruan, Max U12 VIC
Zelich, Ivan U12 QLD

U18 Girls (9)

Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 702
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 634
Lu, Ruihong U14G VIC

U12 Girls (3)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 731
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 166

Maree Dowley
24-10-2009, 04:04 AM
My sons chess coach is very keen that I take them to play in this event.

They would be U12 and U8 respectively.
We are Australian citizens but not Australian residents.

Is our non resident status an issue?
I have noticed that state is a mandatory field on the registration form.
Not sure what to select here as we do not currently live in Australia.
Can I use state of birth?

Maree Dowley
25-10-2009, 05:50 PM
I contacted Leonid Sandler from Chess Victoria (Victoria being our home state) and got a supportive response.

So I will proceed and register them with Vic as the state.

ER
25-10-2009, 07:59 PM
I contacted Leonid Sandler from Chess Victoria (Victoria being our home state) and got a supportive response.
Hi Maree and welcome to the Forum! Leonid is very supportive in general and I am sure he will do his (and CV's) best to accommodate your sons' situation!

So I will proceed and register them with Vic as the state.
Go for Victoria! You can't go wrong!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
All the best to the kids in the Champs as well!

Kevin Bonham
26-10-2009, 04:27 PM
I have also just emailed Maree about this having just got back from 4 days offline. Thanks very much to Leonid for his help.

Yes, citizens who are not residents are very welcome to enter and in fact they are eligible for titles.

For anyone else in the same situation, use of state of birth or even an arbitrary state is fine. For anyone coming from overseas with no connection to Australia (in which case they can play in the event but cannot be awarded titles) put state as ACT and send me an email.

I'll update the list of entries in a few days. Will also be sending out emails to those who have registered but not yet paid as early entry cutoff is just around the corner.

Kevin Bonham
30-10-2009, 08:22 PM
It is just two weeks to go until the cutoff date for early entry discount.

At this stage 66 entries have been received. Note that these are registered entries only; most, but not all, have paid. Registered entries must pay by 13 November to get the early entry discount.

U18 Open (23)

Dyer, Alastair U18 TAS 1847
Deen-Cowell, Nicholas U18 NSW 1564
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1538
Milton, Tom U16 SA 1389
Short, Owen U18 TAS 1268
Reid, Mitchell U14 TAS 790

Lakshman, Vinay (U16, VIC, 1281) is a probable withdrawal and therefore not included in the list at the moment.

U12 Open (28)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1624
Gray, Callum U12 QLD 1265
Lim, Ethan U8 VIC 935
Gong, Noah U8 NSW 706
Cannon, David U10 ACT 541
Basit, Mohammed U10 NSW
Cheng, Daniel U12 NSW
Dowley, Owen U12 VIC
Dowley, Liam U8 VIC
Gregoric, Peter U10 SA
Khadka, Vishwa U12 Nepal
Mukhedkar, Varan U12 WA
Ruan, Max U12 VIC
Zelich, Ivan U12 QLD

U18 Girls (10)

Simmonds, Leteisha U14G QLD 1366
Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 702
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 634
Lu, Ruihong U14G VIC

U12 Girls (5)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 731
Christian, Kashish U10G NSW 618
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 166
Kim, Hyunji (Diana) U12G VIC

C.Antolis
06-11-2009, 07:47 PM
ill have to find some way to get the trophy back... :hmm:

Kevin Bonham
06-11-2009, 08:04 PM
ill have to find some way to get the trophy back... :hmm:

Thanks Cedric,

You can either arrange for someone who is coming down to bring it down (make sure it's packed carefully), or if that isn't possible then if necessary it can be posted to me and we will pay the postage cost.

Solo
06-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Good luck to all those juniors going to the World Juniors!

KB, can you please spell Simmonds correctly:doh: . All the others I think are correct:) .

Kevin Bonham
06-11-2009, 09:47 PM
KB, can you please spell Simmonds correctly:doh: .

Thanks - copying error, fixed now.

Lakshman
10-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Thanks Cedric,

You can either arrange for someone who is coming down to bring it down (make sure it's packed carefully), or if that isn't possible then if necessary it can be posted to me and we will pay the postage cost.

Hi Cedric,

This is Lakshman, Vinay's Dad.

There are a couple of BHCC members on the list, for example Gene Lai, or even the Narenthran Sisters Janaki/Savitri names appear on the playing list. You might visit BHCC one day and check out, alternatively, JAK (Elliott Renzies) is the best person to contact. He might know someone who is participating in this tournament.

Regards

Kevin Bonham
11-11-2009, 12:52 AM
GM IAN ROGERS SIMUL

I am very pleased to announce that Grandmaster Ian Rogers has offered to give a juniors-only simul, which is currently scheduled to be held on the 15th of January (Round 2) starting two hours after the commencement of round two with players able to join in at the end of their tournament games.

The charge to play in the simul will be a very cheap $10. Ian has agreed to do the simul for a low fee and profits above that fee will assist the running of the event.

There is no need to book or pay for the simul now; if bookings are needed we will take them over the first two days, and payment will be on the day.

Entry is not confined to tournament participants and it is expected that some Hobart juniors not playing in the main tournament will play.

CUTOFF DATE FOR EARLY ENTRY DISCOUNT PAYMENT

Cutoff date for payment for early entry discount is now November 30 (not 13 Nov as previously stated). The previous date had not been publicised quite as widely as it should have been and some confusion with the cutoff for accommodation payments in full (which has always Nov 30) had occurred. Our apologies for any confusion or needless rush thus created.

Entry fee payments must be received in full by 30 November to get the early entry discount.

ENTRIES RECEIVED

At this stage 74 entries have been received. Note that these are registered or strongly indicated entries only; most, but not all, have paid.

U18 Open (26)

Schon, Eugene # U18 VIC 2171
Zulfic, Fedja U18 SA 1901
Ding, Yilun U18 China 1848
Tan, Kevin U18 NSW 1639
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1538
Short, Owen U18 TAS 1268

# = not formally registered yet but strongly indicated as playing.
Lakshman, Vinay (U16, VIC, 1281) is a probable withdrawal and therefore not included in the list at the moment.
Tom Milton has withdrawn.

U12 Open (32)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1624
Jack, Martin U12 QLD 1292
Lim, Ethan U8 VIC 935
Gong, Noah U8 NSW 706
Cannon, David U10 ACT 541
Yung, Cameron U12 VIC 325
Basit, Mohammed U10 NSW
Brown, Oscar U12 TAS
Cheng, Daniel U12 NSW
Dowley, Owen U12 VIC
Dowley, Liam U8 VIC
Gregoric, Peter U10 SA
Khadka, Vishwa U12 Nepal
Mukhedkar, Varan U12 WA
Ruan, Max U12 VIC
Vince, Bradley U10 TAS
Zelich, Ivan U12 QLD

U18 Girls (10)

Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 702
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 634
Lu, Ruihong U14G VIC

U12 Girls (6)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 731
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 166
Perera, Yuvini U8G TAS

ER
11-11-2009, 07:41 AM
C'mon Victorian boys don't leave Eugene alone to fight for the Crown! He needs a strong team around him! We want to repeat last year's clean up so successfully performed by Cedric and Sally! Since it's hard for the Vic girls to play this year let's solidify the position in the boys. Although the Tasmanians have different ideas! Accept solid performances by Alastair, Lawrence and Vincent! That's why we need at least another two of our top guns! Frank will be fine in keeping everyone honest, but we need more!

TrueBeliever
11-11-2009, 07:59 AM
JAK How could you forget Eugene's fellow Victorians and fellow Club members Yilun Ding [runner-up in Box Hill Open] and Gene Lai. Unfortunately it is not a team sport

ER
11-11-2009, 01:25 PM
sorry Captain, I always stuff it up when I am referring to names, I always forget some! :( I have tremendous amount of respect for the juniors you are referring to, I meant to mention highly rated players like James, and Chris, and Bobby and Laurence and so on who could assist us get http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Respect/cup-006.gif in all categories!

Tony Dowden
18-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Yes, it would be good to see some IM and FM entries (not mentioning anyone in particular) :P

Kevin Bonham
18-11-2009, 01:43 PM
At this stage 78 entries have been received. Note that these are registered or strongly indicated entries only; most, but not all, have paid.

U18 Open (26)

Choong, Yita U18 WA 1941
Tan, Kevin U18 NSW 1639
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1538
Short, Owen U18 TAS 1268

Frank Lekkas removed - was entered by mistake.

U12 Open (36)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1624
Lim, Ethan U8 VIC 935
Gong, Noah U8 NSW 706
Parsons, Sasha U12 VIC 662
Cannon, David U10 VIC 541
Basit, Mohammed U10 NSW
Brown, Oscar U12 TAS
Cheng, Daniel U12 NSW
Chrisoulakis, Thomas U10 TAS
Dowley, Owen U12 VIC
Dowley, Liam U8 VIC
Gillkum, Anurag U10 TAS
Gregoric, Peter U10 SA
Jiang, Robert U12 TAS
Khadka, Vishwa U12 Nepal
Mukhedkar, Varan U12 WA
Ruan, Max U12 VIC
Vince, Bradley U10 TAS
Zelich, Ivan U12 QLD

U18 Girls (10)

Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 702
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 634
Lu, Ruihong U14G VIC

U12 Girls (6)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 731
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 166
Perera, Yuvini U8G TAS

Publicist
18-11-2009, 02:12 PM
The David Cannon from ACT on the under 12 list is possibly David Cannon from Victoria the current under 8 Vic Junior Champion

Kevin Bonham
18-11-2009, 05:10 PM
The David Cannon from ACT on the under 12 list is possibly David Cannon from Victoria the current under 8 Vic Junior Champion

Thanks very much for that; you are correct and I have absolutely no idea how he came to be showing as ACT on my list except that it must have been my error. Fixed now.

Kevin Bonham
26-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Just four days to go until the definite cutoff for early entry discount.

At this stage 90 entries have been received. Note that these are registered or strongly indicated entries only. Around three-quarters have paid.

U18 Open (33)

Dalton, Samuel U18 VIC 1958
Choong, Yita U18 WA 1941
Tan, Kevin U18 NSW 1639
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1538
Hibberd, Nathan U16 VIC 1310
Short, Owen U18 TAS 1268
Karumbi, Simon U16 VIC 1028
Thornley, Max U16 VIC 460
Dommersnes, Brett U14 VIC
Mackintosh, Kirk U18 VIC
OShaughnassy, Jack U16 VIC

U12 Open (38)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1624
Devarajh, Joshua U12 VIC 1013
Lim, Ethan U8 VIC 935
Gong, Noah U8 NSW 706
Parsons, Sasha U12 VIC 662
Cannon, David U10 VIC 541
Basit, Mohammed U10 NSW
Brown, Oscar U12 TAS
Cheng, Daniel U12 NSW
Dowley, Owen U12 VIC
Dowley, Liam U8 VIC
Gillkum, Anurag U10 TAS
Gregoric, Peter U10 SA
Jiang, Robert U12 TAS
Khadka, Vishwa U12 Nepal
Krasnicki, Sebastian U12 TAS
Mukhedkar, Varan U12 WA
Ruan, Max U12 VIC
Vince, Bradley U10 TAS
Zelich, Ivan U12 QLD

U18 Girls (11)

Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 702
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 634
Dilnutt, Charlotte U16G VIC 354
Lu, Ruihong U14G VIC

U12 Girls (8)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 731
Lai, Zalia U12G ACT 555
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 166
Krasnicki, Madeleine U10G TAS
Perera, Yuvini U8G TAS

Libby2
27-11-2009, 04:32 PM
U12 Girls (8)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 731
Lai, Zalai U12G ACT 555
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 166
Krasnicki, Madeleine U10G TAS
Perera, Yuvini U8G TAS

It's Zalia Lai :)

Kevin Bonham
27-11-2009, 04:51 PM
It's Zalia Lai :)

Thanks - fixed.

Tony Dowden
27-11-2009, 09:47 PM
It would be great if the World U12 champ played :)

Kevin Bonham
03-12-2009, 01:57 AM
At this stage 96 entries have been received.

Ratings are from the December 2009 ACF list.

A $ sign after the rating (or after the state for players with no rating) indicates that an entry is currently shown as unpaid in my files. However this may include entries that have been very recently paid where the money has not yet appeared with identification in our bank account. I will edit this post to remove these as payments are received until such time as a revised list of entries goes up.

Please notify any errors by PM or by posting here, unless they are errors in payment status in which case please email k_bonham@tassie.net.au.

U18 Open (34)

Schon, Eugene # U18 VIC 2106 $
Choong, Yita U18 WA 2007
Brown, Andrew U18 ACT 1990
Muller, Jonas U18 QLD 1979
Ding, Yilun U18 China 1934
Grigg, Samuel U16 QLD 1925
Zulfic, Fedja U18 SA 1913
Dyer, Alastair U18 TAS 1903
Setiabudi, Allen U18 ACT 1776
Milton, Anthony U18 SA 1730
Encel, Benjamin U18 NSW 1721
Chen, PengYu U14 NSW 1721
Smirnov, Anton U14* NSW 1713
Cameron, Alastair U16 SA 1706
Jule, Sebastian U18 QLD 1701
Tan, Kevin U18 NSW 1696
Deen-Cowell, Nicholas U18 NSW 1621
Bretag, Lawrence U18 TAS 1609
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1559 $
Horton, Vincent U14 TAS 1530
Daenke, Steven U16 SA 1375
Fifield, Andrew U18 TAS 1337
Briant, Jamie U16 TAS 1306 $
Hibberd, Nathan U16 VIC 1311
Short, Owen U18 TAS 1290 $
Karumbi, Simon U16 VIC 1081
Bull-quijano, Damar U14 VIC 901 $
Reid, Mitchell U14 TAS 895
Mackintosh, Kirk U18 VIC

Tim Li has withdrawn.

U12 Open (40)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1672
Carter, Mason U12 TAS 1488
Behar, Joshua U12 NSW 1361
Jack, Martin U12 QLD 1349
Derwent, Ethan U12 ACT 1330
Mason, Stuart U12 ACT 1218
Gray, Callum U12 QLD 1212
Cameron, Lachlan U12 SA 1154
Devarajh, Joshua U12 VIC 1151
Kethro, Michael U12 ACT 1127 $
Nicholls, Stuart U12 SA 1042
Hughes, Harry U12 QLD 981
Lim, Ethan U8 VIC 972
Yung, Cameron U12 VIC 965
Walker, Joshua U12 ACT 953
Guo, Jamie-Lee U10 ACT 943
Briant, Harry U12 TAS 899 $
Gong, Noah U8 NSW 780
Gong, William U10 NSW 764
Parsons, Sasha U12 VIC 660 $
Cannon, David U10 VIC 571
Willathgamuwa, Kevin U8 NSW 396
Willathgamuwa, Rohan U8 NSW 381
Ansari, Azaharuddin U12 Nepal $
Basit, Mohammed U10 NSW $
Brown, Oscar U12 TAS
Cheng, Daniel U12 NSW $
Dowley, Owen U12 VIC
Dowley, Liam U8 VIC
Gillkum, Anurag U10 TAS
Gregoric, Peter U10 SA
Jiang, Robert U12 TAS
Khadka, Vishwa U12 Nepal $
Krasnicki, Sebastian U12 TAS $
Mukhedkar, Varan U12 WA
Ruan, Max U12 VIC
Vince, Bradley U10 TAS
Zelich, Ivan (?) U12 QLD $

? = participation uncertain at this stage

U18 Girls (11+1)

Setiabudi, Megan U14G ACT 1399
Simmonds, Leteisha U14G QLD 1323
Shan, Caroline U14G NSW 1223
Lu, Ruihong U14G VIC 1074
Mason, Joanne U14G ACT 964
Drastik, Penelope U14G NSW 898
Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 741
Woodwell, Gemma U16G TAS 666
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 604
Narenthran, Janaki U16G VIC 422

Emma Guo (U16G, ACT, 1821) will compete in the side-events but not the main tournament.

U12 Girls (10)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 940
Narenthran, Savithri U12G VIC 882
Christian, Kashish U10G NSW 567
Lai, Zalia U12G ACT 555 $
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 121
Nicholson, Amy U12G ACT 100 $
Derwent, Hannah U10G ACT
Krasnicki, Madeleine U10G TAS $
Perera, Yuvini U8G TAS

ER
03-12-2009, 02:42 AM
It would be great if the World U12 champ played :)
I agree, even as is though, expect some very hard battles!
For the U18s
I expect the Tasmanians to make it difficult for everyone, but I still have faith that the Victorians will prevail!
Having said that I expect Eugene, Samuel, Gene, Alastair, Lawrence and Vincent to hang on there to the bitter end! Hey what happened to Frank Lekkas? I can't see his name on the list!!!
For the U18 girls
I think it's Leteisha's time, the Turkey experience must help!
For the U12s boys
Go David Cannon!!!
I don't know about the U12 girls

BTW Kev what do you mean by

Emma Guo (U16G, ACT, 1821) will compete in the side-events but not the main tournament.
Are you going to have allegro, blitz, simuls etc???

Vlad
03-12-2009, 08:11 AM
For the U18s
... but I still have faith that the Victorians will prevail!

For the U12s boys
Go David Cannon!!!

What a difference in tone..:)

Kevin Bonham
03-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Hey what happened to Frank Lekkas? I can't see his name on the list!!!

His mother registered him by mistake, or something like that. This is noted below the U18 list of entries.

BTW Kev what do you mean by

[..]

Are you going to have allegro, blitz, simuls etc???

Registrations include the main event, the rapid, the blitz and the problem solving.

I expect there will be some Tasmanian players registering for some of the side-events but not the main event too.

There is also a GM Ian Rogers simul on day two as mentioned further up the thread but registration is not required for that at this stage.

Alana
06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Go Andrew Brown, Megan Setiabudi, Stuart Mason and Zalia Lai for the titles!

ER
06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Alana is parochial! :P

so is Vlad! (even in a subtle way!) :P

ER
06-12-2009, 12:13 PM
His mother registered him by mistake, or something like that. This is noted below the U18 list of entries. ..
Oh ok because I thought he was combined the national swimming competition with Chess, and I think that the Aus Junior would provide a great experience for him!
Thanks anyway Kevin!

Kevin Bonham
10-12-2009, 09:28 PM
At this stage 109 entries have been received.

A $ sign after the rating (or after the state for players with no rating) indicates that an entry is currently shown as unpaid in my files. However this may include entries that have been very recently paid where the money has not yet appeared with identification in our bank account.

Please notify any errors by PM or by posting here, unless they are errors in payment status in which case please email k_bonham@tassie.net.au.

U18 Open (36)

Schon, Eugene U16 VIC 2106
Choong, Yita U18 WA 2007
Tan, Kevin U18 NSW 1696
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1559
Hayman, Adam U16 VIC 1362 $
O'Rourke, Ryan U16 NSW 1115
Mackintosh, Kirk U18 VIC

The following were listed but have withdrawn: Tom Milton, Tim Li, Vinay Lakshman (probable withdrawal), Frank Lekkas (was entered by mistake).

U12 Open (46)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1672
Kethro, Michael U12 ACT 1127
Dale, Ari U12 VIC 1085
Pyper, Matthew U12 QLD 1048
Lim, Ethan U8 VIC 972
Gong, Noah U8 NSW 780
Alvares, Immanuel U10 NSW 125 $
Brown, Oscar U12 TAS
Cheng, Daniel U12 NSW $
Dale, Finley U10 VIC
Dowley, Owen U12 VIC
Dowley, Liam U8 VIC
Gillkum, Anurag U10 TAS
Gregoric, Peter U10 SA
Jiang, Robert U12 TAS
Mukhedkar, Varan U12 WA
Puccini, Jack U12 VIC
Ruan, Max U12 VIC
Vince, Bradley U10 TAS
Yu, Shuqi U10 TAS

U18 Girls (12+1)

Pretorius, Jana U14G NSW 1094 $
Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 741
Woodwell, Gemma U16G TAS 666
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 604

U12 Girls (14)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 940
Alvares, Grace U12G NSW 629 $
Lai, Zalia U12G ACT 555
O'Rourke, Caitlin U12G NSW 355
Pretorius, Helen U12G NSW 175 $
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 121
Nicholson, Amy U12G ACT 100
Derwent, Hannah U10G ACT
Lee, Teagan U12G TAS
Perera, Yuvini U8G TAS

Alana
16-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I think you'll find that emma is not competing in this at all - that was only going to be if she was coaching at this tournament

Alana
16-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Go Andrew Brown, Megan Setiabudi, Stuart Mason and Zalia Lai for the titles!

Oh and Ethan :P

Kevin Bonham
16-12-2009, 04:49 PM
I think you'll find that emma is not competing in this at all - that was only going to be if she was coaching at this tournament

I'm just going on the most recent information from Emma's mother (who registered Emma and paid her entry fees), so if that has changed we need to know!

Vlad
18-12-2009, 01:42 PM
If anybody still has nowhere to stay during the junior champs in Hobart, we have a couple rooms available in one of the University Apartments. Please contact me ASAP.

Mischa
18-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Why is Eugene listed as under 18??
Surely he is under 16....are the events not run concurrently?

Kevin Bonham
18-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Why is Eugene listed as under 18??
Surely he is under 16....are the events not run concurrently?

Thanks for spotting that - error on my part when entering him in before he had formally registered. Fixed now. He is U16.

Rhubarb
20-12-2009, 12:54 AM
To confirm from posts by myself and Kevin earlier in this thread back in June/July, the Australian Junior Championship (U/18 Open only) is registered as a FIDE-rated event on FIDE's March 2010 list.

Regards,
Greg Canfell
FIDE Ratings Officer
Australian Chess Federation

Kevin Bonham
20-12-2009, 11:43 AM
At this stage there are 113 entrants.

A $ sign after the rating (or after the state for players with no rating) indicates that an entry is currently shown as unpaid in my files. However this may include entries that have been very recently paid where the money has not yet appeared with identification in our bank account.

The next update to the Chesschat entry list will not occur before December 27 as I will be away. As new entries are registered they will appear on the automatically generated list of entries at http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/AJCC/entrant_list.php but please be aware this is based on info supplied by registrants and ratings, in particular, shown there are often inaccurate.

U18 Open (38)

Yuan, Yi U16 ACT 2128 $
Choong, Yita U18 WA 2007
Tan, Kevin U18 NSW 1696
Bretag, Marcus U18 TAS 1575 $
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1559
Smith, Charlie U18 TAS 1308
Mackintosh, Kirk U18 VIC

The following were registered but are now not playing: Tom Milton, Tim Li, Vinay Lakshman (probable withdrawal), Frank Lekkas (was entered by mistake), Santosh Krishnan.

U12 Open (48)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1672
Dale, Ari U12 VIC 1085
Lim, Ethan U8 VIC 972
Gong, Noah U8 NSW 780
Brown, Oscar U12 TAS
Chen, Bill U12 TAS
Cheng, Daniel U12 NSW $
Dale, Finley U10 VIC
Dowley, Owen U12 VIC
Dowley, Liam U8 VIC
Gillkum, Anurag U10 TAS
Gregoric, Peter U10 SA
Jiang, Robert U12 TAS
Lawrence, Cormac U12 TAS
Mukhedkar, Varan U12 WA
Puccini, Jack U12 VIC
Ruan, Max U12 VIC
Schroder, Nicolaas U12 VIC
Vince, Bradley U10 TAS
Yu, Shuqi U10 TAS

Immanuel Alvarez was registered but isn't playing.

U18 Girls (12+1)

Kanagarajah, Abbie U14G QLD 1221
Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 741
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 604

Emma Guo (U16G, ACT, 1821) has been registered to compete in the side-events but not the main tournament.
Gemma Woodwell was registered but has had to withdraw.

U12 Girls (14)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 940
Lai, Zalia U12G ACT 555
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 121
Derwent, Hannah U10G ACT
Lee, Teagan U12G TAS
Perera, Yuvini U8G TAS

Kevin Bonham
20-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Australian Junior 2010 - Notices

(Also posted to AUSJCL mailing list)

Preparations for the Australian Junior in Hobart are going very well! We currently have 113 entries across all divisions but there is still time for many more - but please be quick if you don't want to risk missing out!

CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES: The cutoff for guaranteed places is midnight Dec 31st. Entries after that date will be provisionally accepted only, and will be subject to room, equipment and organisers' discretion.

FORFEIT TIME: The forfeit time for the main tournament is half an hour for all rounds including the first. Players not present by half an hour after the start of a session for any reason will forfeit that game unless the arbiters decide otherwise.

DATE CONFUSION ISSUES: The dates for this tournament are 14-25 January 2010. In very early drafts of the schedule the dates were 13-24 Jan 2010. These dates were changed early in 2009 to accommodate the Australian Championship, which had set dates later than we expected, in order to allow players to play in both events. Unfortunately, a small number of computers continued showing the old dates long after the schedule was changed on the TCA website. We suspect this is a cache settings issue.

At this stage, just one entrant is seriously affected by the problem to the extent of being unable to play on the 25th of January. We are working with our experienced International Arbiters to try to resolve this situation in as fair a manner as possible.

All entrants have been emailed or otherwise contacted about this issue, but any entrant who has the wrong dates, and who has not yet contacted me and received a reply, needs to do so immediately by emailing k_bonham@tassie.net.au and calling 0421 428 775.

SEEDING: Note that players will be seeded by ACF rating first and foremost, with all players holding an ACF rating seeded above those who do not unless there is known evidence that an ACF-unrated player is strong enough to make this inappropriate. Ratings from other systems may be used to seed those players who are not ACF-rated.

Looking forward to a great event and seeing many of you in Hobart in January!

Kevin Bonham
Australian Junior 2010

Mischa
22-12-2009, 10:30 PM
who's this kid from China?
I assume he can only win the money not the title?

Bill Gletsos
22-12-2009, 11:17 PM
who's this kid from China?
I assume he can only win the money not the title?No idea why he is listed as China as he is listed as AUS on the FIDE rating list.
He is listed as VIC on the ACF rating list.

Mischa
22-12-2009, 11:42 PM
ok...weird

Kevin Bonham
23-12-2009, 12:24 AM
He is Chinese but has been studying in Australia. He doesn't meet the residency/citizenship requirements and has been told he is eligible for prizes but not titles.

Presumably Victorian organisers assumed he should be listed as VIC and AUS given that he had no prior FIDE listing.

Kevin Bonham
23-12-2009, 10:24 PM
As noted full update in a few days but I am delighted to advise that IM-elect James Morris is now a registered entry.

Saragossa
23-12-2009, 10:55 PM
As noted full update in a few days but I am delighted to advise that IM-elect James Morris is now a registered entry.

HYPE! That is what I'm talking about! Now come on Aussies best juniors, give him some competition! Get over here!

Oepty
24-12-2009, 02:39 PM
HYPE! That is what I'm talking about! Now come on Aussies best juniors, give him some competition! Get over here!

It is 4 of the top 6 juniors now which is excellent, missing Max Illingworth and Bobby Cheng.
Scott

Mischa
24-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Bobby Cheng may just turn up

Denis_Jessop
24-12-2009, 07:46 PM
It is 4 of the top 6 juniors now which is excellent, missing Max Illingworth and Bobby Cheng.
Scott

Max is playing in the Australian Champinship so is probably unlikely to want to go to the Juniors as well - at least that's my guess.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
24-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Max is playing in the Australian Champinship so is probably unlikely to want to go to the Juniors as well - at least that's my guess.

I haven't heard anything concerning Max but it's interesting that there are quite a few doing the double - about nine at a quick count (including those in the Major).

Denis_Jessop
25-12-2009, 09:01 PM
I haven't heard anything concerning Max but it's interesting that there are quite a few doing the double - about nine at a quick count (including those in the Major).

That's good - it seems to justify the decision to reschedule the events to make that possible.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
27-12-2009, 04:36 PM
At this stage there are 118 entrants.

As new entries are registered they will appear on the automatically generated list of entries at http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/AJCC/entrant_list.php but please be aware this is based on info supplied by registrants and ratings, in particular, shown there are often inaccurate.

U18 Open (43+1)

Morris, James U16 VIC 2196 [FM, IM-elect]
Yuan, Yi U16 ACT 2128
Choong, Yita U18 WA 2007
Grigg, Samuel U18 QLD 1925
Papantoniou, John U16 NSW 1777 $
Encel, Benjamin U18 NSW 1719
Stahnke, Alexander U14 QLD 1701 $
Tan, Kevin U18 NSW 1696
Bretag, Marcus U18 TAS 1575
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1559
Bishop, Joshua U16 ACT 1333 $
Dommersnes, Brett U14 VIC 187
Mackintosh, Kirk U18 VIC
Taminsyah, Aston U14 WA

The following were registered but are now not playing: Tom Milton, Tim Li, Vinay Lakshman (probable withdrawal), Frank Lekkas (was entered by mistake), Santosh Krishnan.
Daniel Posner (1146RR, QLD, U18) has registered for the rapid only.

U12 Open (48)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1672
Dale, Ari U12 VIC 1085
Lim, Ethan U8 VIC 972
Gong, Noah U8 NSW 780
Brown, Oscar U12 TAS
Chen, Bill U12 TAS
Cheng, Daniel U12 NSW $
Dale, Finley U10 VIC
Dowley, Owen U12 VIC
Dowley, Liam U8 VIC
Gillkum, Anurag U10 TAS
Gregoric, Peter U10 SA
Jiang, Robert U12 TAS
Lawrence, Cormac U12 TAS
Mukhedkar, Varan U12 WA
Puccini, Jack U12 VIC
Ruan, Max U12 VIC
Vince, Bradley U10 TAS
Yu, Shuqi U10 TAS

Immanuel Alvarez was registered but isn't playing.

U18 Girls (12+1)

Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 741
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 604

Emma Guo (U16G, ACT, 1821) has been registered to compete in the side-events but not the main tournament.

U12 Girls (13)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 940
Lai, Zalia U12G ACT 555
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 121
Derwent, Hannah U10G ACT
Lee, Teagan U12G TAS
Perera, Yuvini U8G TAS

Madeleine Krasnicki was registered but isn't playing.

Kevin Bonham
27-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Current breakdown by state/territory is: VIC 31 NSW 23 TAS 22 ACT 15 QLD 14 SA 7 WA 3 NT 0 OS 3.

ChessGuru
28-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Anyone NOT yet registered for the Aus Junior -- here is a last minute inducement.

Chess Kids will contribute $1000 towards your costs.

Conditions do apply and applications by email (mailto:cordover@chesskids.com.au) only.

Bill Gletsos
28-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Anyone NOT yet registered for the Aus Junior -- here is a last minute inducement.

Chess Kids will contribute $1000 towards your costs.

Conditions do apply and applications by email (mailto:cordover@chesskids.com.au) only.What exactly are the conditions?

Tony Dowden
28-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Current breakdown by state/territory is: VIC 31 NSW 23 TAS 22 ACT 15 QLD 14 SA 7 WA 3 NT 0 OS 3.

Extremely impressive turn out from Tasmanian juniors which definitely justifies hosting the event in Hobart.

I will stick my neck out and predict an U12 title from TAS ...

Vlad
28-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I will stick my neck out and predict an U12 title from TAS ...

Well, anything can happen in a junior chess competition. Last year Sean Gu (1500+) managed to take the under 12 title from Liu Yi (1800+).

However, seeing both Andrew and Mason play I can comment that Andrew is a very mature player. You can ask Kevin about him. ;)

Basil
28-12-2009, 02:05 PM
... to take the under 12 title from Liu Yi (1800+).
Yi's first name is Yi.

ChessGuru
28-12-2009, 03:04 PM
What exactly are the conditions?

I think you're a bit old to apply ...

Conditions for the $1000
The participant must come from interstate (ie not Tas) pay for their own flights and food, stay with the Chess Kids group and be someone I like. I might make up some more conditions if I feel like it too ...

Oepty
28-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Well, anything can happen in a junior chess competition. Last year Sean Gu (1500+) managed to take the under 12 title from Liu Yi (1800+).

However, seeing both Andrew and Mason play I can comment that Andrew is a very mature player. You can ask Kevin about him. ;)

Well I see on the offical website Michael Chan, 1840, is now the new top seed, so Andrew Pan and Mason Carter's chance have diminished a bit, although as has been mention in regard to Yi Liu the top seed even by a margin doesn't always win.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
28-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Well I see on the offical website Michael Chan, 1840, is now the new top seed, so Andrew Pan and Mason Carter's chance have diminished a bit, although as has been mention in regard to Yi Liu the top seed even by a margin doesn't always win.

Michael was registered today and will be playing in the Under 18 section a la Anton Smirnov.

Yes - I lost to Andrew in the final round of the last Australian blitz at the end of my crash from 3/3 and 4/5 to 5/11 :doh: . It was a fun game and I think the endgame was even but I was shorter on time (perhaps terminally so) and played an illegal move which was claimed immediately. He was a very pleasant opponent with an excellent attitude to the game.

I'll be interested to see how Mason goes in this event. His performances in some recent Tas tournaments have been extremely strong but the Aus Junior is a whole new ball game. Ratings don't count for as much in the U12s since most juniors are inconsistent and some juniors are extremely underrated. There are some very experienced operators in that U12 field ...

Mischa
28-12-2009, 05:56 PM
I hope a Tassie gets a title...:)

The Bennett
29-12-2009, 09:13 PM
After much deliberation with myself (and parents) I've finally entered the event :) :) this means i'll be doing the double (go easy on the tired guy :P ) I'll see old friends and foes down there including N D-C in whom I lost terribly to in Blayney. Unless something drastic happens I'll see you all down there.

Cheers,

MB

Ron
29-12-2009, 09:16 PM
I have a single room (of six in the suit) can be released to a single player from NSW in Hobart. If anyone interested, pls let me know. I can be contacted by 0414 258 351

Garvinator
29-12-2009, 09:18 PM
I have a single room (of six in the suit) can be released to a single player from NSW in Hobart. If anyone interested, pls let me know. I can be contacted by 0414 258 351Why only NSW players? Do you have something against interstaters?

ChessGuru
30-12-2009, 08:31 PM
The Chess Kids sponsorship of $1000 has been taken up. Thanks for getting the message through to a worthy recipient.

Others still looking for room/board and or coaching please feel free to contact me.

Ron
30-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Why only NSW players? Do you have something against interstaters?

The room has been taken. No more available.

Kevin Bonham
31-12-2009, 01:13 AM
At this stage there are 120 entrants. Please note that today is the last day for which entries are absolutely guaranteed of acceptance, but unless there is a massive last-day rush it is likely entries will still be open until around Jan 7.

As new entries are registered they will appear on the automatically generated list of entries at http://www.chesstasmania.org.au/AJCC/entrant_list.php but please be aware this is based on info supplied by registrants and ratings, in particular, shown there are often inaccurate.

U18 Open (46+1)

Morris, James U16 VIC 2196 [IM]
Yuan, Yi U16 ACT 2128
Choong, Yita U18 WA 2007
Chan, Michael U14* VIC 1840
Papantoniou, John U16 NSW 1777
Stahnke, Alexander U14 QLD 1701
Tan, Kevin U18 NSW 1696
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1559
Hendrey, Kevin U18 TAS 1446
Bennett, Matthew U16 ACT 1350
Bishop, Joshua U16 ACT 1333
Mackintosh, Kirk U18 VIC
Taminsyah, Aston U14 WA

U12 Open (46+1)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1672
Kiripitige, Punala U12 SA 1332
Dale, Ari U12 VIC 1085
Lim, Ethan U8 VIC 972
Gong, Noah U8 NSW 780
Parsons, Sasha U12 VIC 660
Brown, Oscar U12 TAS
Chen, Bill U12 TAS
Dale, Finley U10 VIC
Dowley, Owen U12 VIC
Dowley, Liam U8 VIC
Gillkum, Anurag U10 TAS
Gregoric, Peter U10 SA
Jiang, Robert U12 TAS
Lawrence, Cormac U12 TAS
MacAdam, Alex U12 SA
Mukhedkar, Varan U12 WA
Puccini, Jack U12 VIC
Ruan, Max U12 VIC
Vince, Bradley U10 TAS
Yu, Shuqi U10 TAS

Nathan Williamson (U10, TAS, UNR) will compete in the lightning and problem solving only
Immanuel Alvarez, Daniel Cheng and Mohammed Basit were registered but are not playing.

U18 Girls (14+1)

Bortsova, Natasha U14G SA 1371
Pretorius, Jana U14G NSW 1094
Johansen, Carla U14G VIC 774
Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 741
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 604

U12 Girls (11)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 940
Alvares, Grace U12G NSW 629
Lai, Zalia U12G ACT 555
Pretorius, Helen U12G NSW 175
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 121
Derwent, Hannah U10G ACT
Lee, Teagan U12G TAS
Perera, Yuvini U8G TAS

Madeleine Krasnicki, Amy Nicholson and Diana Kim were registered but are not playing.

Garvinator
31-12-2009, 02:33 AM
U18 Girls (13+1)

Johansen, Carla U14G VIC 774 $
Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 741
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 604

U12 Girls (12)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 940
Lai, Zalia U12G ACT 555
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 121
Derwent, Hannah U10G ACT
Lee, Teagan U12G TAS
Perera, Yuvini U8G TAS
If the numbers stay as is, nice little round robin for the under 12 girls, but 13 players/11 rounds for the under 18 girls, ouch!! Have fun with that!!

The Bennett
01-01-2010, 12:52 AM
If the numbers stay as is, nice little round robin for the under 12 girls, but 13 players/11 rounds for the under 18 girls, ouch!! Have fun with that!!
Couldn't the U18 girls still be a round robin but with just a bye in each round?

The Bennett
01-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Also, Happy New Year everyone!! :owned: :owned: :owned: My new years resolution is to get at least 50% in every tournament I play including Aus Juniors. GL everyone and I'll see most of you in Tassie. :) :)

Cheers,

MB

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2010, 01:18 AM
Couldn't the U18 girls still be a round robin but with just a bye in each round?

This is possible in theory, but requires 13 rounds instead of 11 with the current lineup.

There are provisions in the announced tournament rules for us to hold a 9 round Swiss instead of an 11 round Swiss if we think that is in the best interests of the competition. Anyway we will be discussing it with our very experienced arbiters who have dealt with such situations in the past, should it turn out that at the start of the event any division has just over 12 entries.

Tony Dowden
01-01-2010, 09:02 AM

Hi Vlad,

I agree Andrew is very dangerous - and must be favourite to win - but I thought I'd be parochial ;)

Cheers, Tony

Garvinator
01-01-2010, 11:09 AM
This is possible in theory, but requires 13 rounds instead of 11 with the current lineup.

There are provisions in the announced tournament rules for us to hold a 9 round Swiss instead of an 11 round Swiss if we think that is in the best interests of the competition. Anyway we will be discussing it with our very experienced arbiters who have dealt with such situations in the past, should it turn out that at the start of the event any division has just over 12 entries.
With it being unlikely that the under 18 girls are going to be playing 6 hr games each day, it is very feasible to make two days double days and run it as a complete round robin.

If I had a vote, and I do not, that would be the option I would be voting for.

Desmond
01-01-2010, 01:13 PM
With it being unlikely that the under 18 girls are going to be playing 6 hr games each day, it is very feasible to make two days double days and run it as a complete round robin.

If I had a vote, and I do not, that would be the option I would be voting for.
What's wrong with running it as a swiss?

Oepty
01-01-2010, 01:52 PM
What's wrong with running it as a swiss?

You may not get legal pairings for the last roundwith a 11 round swiss. Also you might have some problems with allocating the bye in the last round fairly. 11 of 13 palyers having a one point bye might disadvantage someone. It could be done though and if there is no last round pairing repairing two players with apologies.
A nine round swiss would be much better than an 11 round swiss but it does give the girls less games.
A 13 player round robin is probably a fairer tournament but it does make a very busy schedule especially as there is already a double round day and the rapid and lightning presentations are planned on two other playing days.
There might be other ways of doing it as well, but whether they are any better is probably questionable.
Scott

Miranda
01-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Double rounds are very tough. I guess the 9 round swiss would be best for the Under 18 girls, but some players might feel annoyed that they don't get as many games as planned. It's unfortunate the field is so small.

Garvinator
01-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Double rounds are very tough. I guess the 9 round swiss would be best for the Under 18 girls, but some players might feel annoyed that they don't get as many games as planned. It's unfortunate the field is so small.It is the 13 players, 11 rounds that is the issue. If there were 11 or 12 players or an advertised 13 rounds, then there is no issue at all.

It is just the combination of 13 players and 11 rounds.

Garvinator
01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
You may not get legal pairings for the last round with a 11 round swiss. Also you might have some problems with allocating the bye in the last round fairly. 11 of 13 players having a one point bye might disadvantage someone.All true. The allocation of the bye in the final round when there are only two players remaining could cause untold issues, to which there may be no further legal pairings.

A nine round swiss would be much better than an 11 round swiss but it does give the girls less games. I have thought for quite a while that 'going round robin' in these situations is better than reducing the number of rounds, as in this case.

But upon further reflection and discussion, I am now not so sure of this. In a 13/9 swiss, the leaders will have all played each other (so the overall title is awarded as fairly as possible) but games where the top seed plays the bottom seeds are eliminated.

One big advantage of changing to round robin is that family members can be paired together in round one etc, thereby eliminating any claims of fixed results.

If 13 rounds/11 players is still used, a large complication could arise if one of the players withdraws after a few rounds. You would be left with 12 players and 11 rounds, which would seem perfect for a round robin, but has two issues:

1) Because of the 13 players, byes have been allocated. So easily changing to round robin pairings would be nigh impossible, I think. This would necessitate some creative thinking and solutions.
2) Even if the 'bye problem' can be sorted out, the first few rounds would have been paired swiss style, so changing half way through the tournament to round robin pairings could create some really odd pairings, especially when under the swiss format, the top seeds would have already started playing each other.

A 13 player round robin is probably a fairer tournament but it does make a very busy schedule especially as there is already a double round day and the rapid and lightning presentations are planned on two other playing days.The more I look at this, the more I think the 9 round option is a better option. While it does reduce the number of rounds, so less play, it eliminates so many potential headaches.

All these posts could become irrelevant if there are a couple more Under 18 Girls who want to play, or move up from the Under 12's. They do serve however to highlight some of these difficulties for future situations.

Oepty
01-01-2010, 03:12 PM
re are a couple more Under 18 Girls who want to play, or move up from the Under 12's. They do serve however to highlight some of these difficulties for future situations.

I do know of one girl who was still seriously considering playing only a few days ago so maybe there might be one more entry. It would at least remove issues regarding the allocation of the bye if there was one more player.
Scott

Libby2
01-01-2010, 03:39 PM
They do serve however to highlight some of these difficulties for future situations.

Yawn.

Where have you been? Difficulties for future situations? This has been around for years and fixed/meddled with in a multitude of varyingly unsatisfactory ways in that time.

I think (but no longer have the inside track to know) that there are actually some defined options for arbiters these days (ie reducing the number of rounds). It happens almost every Aus Junior - we were a bit lucky with our numbers in Canberra so it wasn't an issue - but some nice, clear, published rules about what is agreed to be the most effective way to manage this would eliminate any hint of speculation and the disappointment and confusion of participants who find themselves wondering how it will work this time. It's nice if the same method is applied every time, not at the discretion of arbiters and organisers, but under the rules for the conduct of the event.

It's also another reason why early entries, and even closing off entries altogether at an early date, resolves a lot of organisational headaches because you're not getting "speculation" about who "might" still be twiddling around thinking about it - you know your numbers and the participants can turn up on the first day of play knowing what their schedule for play will be.

Max Illingworth
01-01-2010, 03:46 PM
What about merging the U18 girls and U12 girls tournaments into one 11 round Swiss tournament?

Oepty
01-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Yawn.

Where have you been? Difficulties for future situations? This has been around for years and fixed/meddled with in a multitude of varyingly unsatisfactory ways in that time.

I think (but no longer have the inside track to know) that there are actually some defined options for arbiters these days (ie reducing the number of rounds). It happens almost every Aus Junior - we were a bit lucky with our numbers in Canberra so it wasn't an issue - but some nice, clear, published rules about what is agreed to be the most effective way to manage this would eliminate any hint of speculation and the disappointment and confusion of participants who find themselves wondering how it will work this time. It's nice if the same method is applied every time, not at the discretion of arbiters and organisers, but under the rules for the conduct of the event.

It's also another reason why early entries, and even closing off entries altogether at an early date, resolves a lot of organisational headaches because you're not getting "speculation" about who "might" still be twiddling around thinking about it - you know your numbers and the participants can turn up on the first day of play knowing what their schedule for play will be.

This is a note which appeared last years website.

The organisers reserve the right to reduce the number of rounds if there is an insufficient number of entries - this option may be necessary for the Girls Open or the Under 12 Girls where in the past it has been the case with say 14 players, their tournament has been extended even further than the standard tournaments. Therefore the event will be a 7 round Swiss if we get 14 players or less, and a 9 round Swiss if we get between 14 and 18 players. Anything more than 18 players, and the tournament will be run as an 11 round Swiss.

I am not sure if this is being entirely followed this year, but I think it is what Libby was talking about.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Entry through the TCA website is no longer possible so anyone still wishing to enter the main event needs to email me (k_bonham@tassie.net.au) before Jan 7th.

I think (but no longer have the inside track to know) that there are actually some defined options for arbiters these days (ie reducing the number of rounds).

Correct and we have a condition on the website allowing us to do this if we need to, as mentioned in #127.

But it is quite different to the one quoted by Scott; ours just allows for reduction to 9 rounds if necessary (not 7).

It happens almost every Aus Junior - we were a bit lucky with our numbers in Canberra so it wasn't an issue - but some nice, clear, published rules about what is agreed to be the most effective way to manage this would eliminate any hint of speculation and the disappointment and confusion of participants who find themselves wondering how it will work this time.

I agree with this. Of course, no matter what you do there is still the possibility of late withdrawals making a change to another solution desirable.

Nicholas D-C
05-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Have there been any new entries since the TCA website closed registration?

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Natasha Bortsova (U14G) is the only confirmed entry since then.

I believe the Nepalese players who registered for the U12 are not coming.

Good news is that the number of outstanding entry fee payments according to our records is gratifyingly low so it looks like nearly all the remaining 120 will be playing.

Garvinator
05-01-2010, 09:00 PM
There's a shocker! :whistle:

Basil
05-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Nepal Cripple?

Oepty
05-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I think they heard of the fearsome heat of a Hobart summer and decided it was going to be too hot for them.
Scott

Oepty
08-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Have you lost a player from the U12 Girls? If so it is a real pity because it creates a bye, with an eleven player RR.
Scott

Kevin Bonham
08-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Have you lost a player from the U12 Girls? If so it is a real pity because it creates a bye, with an eleven player RR.
Scott

Yes, Diana Kim has withdrawn.

Kevin Bonham
11-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Excellent news - ACF President Gary Wastell has just advised me that World U12 Champion FM Bobby Cheng (VIC, 2193) will be playing. (I am assuming he will be in the U18 tournament.) Our thanks to all those who have assisted with making this possible.

Perpetual trophies

If anyone has contact details for Sophie Eustace [edit - obtained], Sean Gu and/or their parents, please let me know - we are trying to track down perpetual trophies that we believe they may have won last year, and get these delivered to Hobart by the end of the tournament.

If anyone else who is not playing has a perpetual trophy for any reason, please contact me by PM to arrange its delivery. Thanks.

Garvinator
11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Excellent news - ACF President Gary Wastell has just advised me that World U12 Champion FM Bobby Cheng (VIC, 2193) will be playing. (I am assuming he will be in the U18 tournament.) Our thanks to all those who have assisted with making this possible.
How was he assisted and if so, why could he not make it on his own?

Kevin Bonham
11-01-2010, 03:48 PM

I understand the main issues were suitable adult accompaniment and arranging accommodation at this late stage.

Desmond
11-01-2010, 03:51 PM
bcos he's U12?

Garvinator
11-01-2010, 03:58 PM
bcos he's U12?I did not mean as in travelling alone. What I meant was, why is he entering so late and what inducements have been provided that means he is now playing when previously he was not.

Desmond
11-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I did not mean as in travelling alone. What I meant was, why is he entering so late and what inducements have been provided that means he is now playing when previously he was not.
I wouldn't expect an answer as to a player's conditions on the forum, would you?

Garvinator
11-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't expect an answer as to a player's conditions on the forum, would you?
Expect no, but I might get a reply answer of, send me an email or pm or similar from KB :)

As for why I am asking, I do have a real reason rather than just curiosity.

Kevin Bonham
11-01-2010, 04:13 PM
What I meant was, why is he entering so late and what inducements have been provided that means he is now playing when previously he was not.

"Inducements" isn't the right word, just a matter of practical obstacles being overcome.

Garvinator
11-01-2010, 04:15 PM
"Inducements" isn't the right word, just a matter of practical obstacles being overcome.
I think I might send email later tonight and try and explain clearly about why I am asking.

Which email address should I use to contact you?

Kevin Bonham
11-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I think I might send email later tonight and try and explain clearly about why I am asking.

Which email address should I use to contact you?

Sure, no problems - k_bonham@tassie.net.au

or PM me here.

Tony Dowden
12-01-2010, 07:05 PM

Fantastic news! (Good to see some ex-NZ talent!) :clap: :clap: :clap:

It was already a very strong event but having 'name' players with titles makes a difference!

Watto
12-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Excellent news - ACF President Gary Wastell has just advised me that World U12 Champion FM Bobby Cheng (VIC, 2193) will be playing.
I've just seen this. That's great news.

Mischa
12-01-2010, 10:32 PM
is he on the players list yet?

The Bennett
12-01-2010, 10:33 PM
is it possible to see a final list of entrants?

MB

Kevin Bonham
12-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Current lineup - 120 entries (total) but there are a few unpaid cases that we may or may not see.

U18 Open (47+1)

Morris, James U16 VIC 2196 [IM]
Cheng, Bobby U14 VIC 2193 [FM]
Yuan, Yi U16 ACT 2128
Choong, Yita U18 WA 2007
Chan, Michael U14* VIC 1840
Papantoniou, John U16 NSW 1777
Stahnke, Alexander U14 QLD 1701
Tan, Kevin U18 NSW 1696
Lai, Gene U16 VIC 1559
Hendrey, Kevin U18 TAS 1446
Bennett, Matthew U16 ACT 1350
Bishop, Joshua U16 ACT 1333
Briant, Jamie U16 TAS 1306
Bull-quijano, Damar U14 VIC 901 $ (confirmed, will pay on day)
Mackintosh, Kirk U18 VIC
Taminsyah, Aston U14 WA

The following were registered but are now not playing as far as I know: Tom Milton, Tim Li, Vinay Lakshman, Frank Lekkas (was entered by mistake), Santosh Krishnan.
Cam Martin-Simpson (TAS, U16) is likely to play in the lightning or rapid but has not formally entered.

U12 Open (45+1)

Pan, Andrew U12 NSW 1672
Kiripitige, Punala U12 SA 1332
Dale, Ari U12 VIC 1085
Lim, Ethan U8 VIC 972
Gong, Noah U8 NSW 780
Parsons, Sasha U12 VIC 660
Brown, Oscar U12 TAS
Chen, Bill U12 TAS
Dale, Finley U10 VIC
Dowley, Owen U12 VIC
Dowley, Liam U8 VIC
Gillkum, Anurag U10 TAS
Gregoric, Peter U10 SA
Jiang, Robert U12 TAS
Lawrence, Cormac U12 TAS
MacAdam, Alex U12 SA
Mukhedkar, Varan U12 WA
Puccini, Jack U12 VIC
Ruan, Max U12 VIC
Vince, Bradley U10 TAS
Yu, Shuqi U10 TAS

Nathan Williamson (U10, TAS, UNR) will compete in the lightning and problem solving only.
Immanuel Alvarez, Daniel Cheng and Mohammed Basit were registered but are not playing.
I am considering Ivan Zelich (U12, QLD) to be a likely scratching as he was indicated as uncertain some time ago and we have not heard anything further since.

U18 Girls (14+1)

Bortsova, Natasha U14G SA 1371
Pretorius, Jana U14G NSW 1094
Johansen, Carla U14G VIC 774
Yum, Winnie U16G QLD 741
Yum, Jenny U14G QLD 604

U12 Girls (11)

Lim, Denise U12G VIC 940
Lai, Zalia U12G ACT 555
Pretorius, Helen U12G NSW 175
Shan, Grace U10G NSW 121
Derwent, Hannah U10G ACT
Lee, Teagan U12G TAS
Perera, Yuvini U8G TAS

Madeleine Krasnicki, Amy Nicholson and Diana Kim were registered but are not playing.

Adamski
12-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Good to see strong fields. Very pleased that Bobby can play. Family travel plans meant he was unable to play in the Aus Champs in Sydney.

Kevin and team, all the best for the tournaments!

Kevin Bonham
13-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Kevin and team, all the best for the tournaments!

Thanks; if it ends up running anywhere near as yours I'll be very happy!

I've had both these queries a few times today, so ...

Finding the venue within Hutchins School

The venue is on Nelson Road roughly opposite the tennis courts. It's the third significant-sized building on the left as you go down Nelson Road from Churchill Avenue.

Do not go up Nelson Road above Churchill Avenue! At least, don't do it for chess! There's a nice lookout at the end of it (after numerous bends, one of which I used to live on) but no chess tournament.

Finding the accommodation if you are booked at Christ College

Christ College is at the top of College Road which turns off French Street in the University area. College Road follows a bush gully up, then crosses the gully and continues up. When you come to an area with buildings on both sides of the road, you're at Christ College and will most likely see signs to that effect.

Saragossa
13-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Do we have to go to registration if we have already paid? And if so would it be possible to confirm now that Marcus and I will be there at 1 for the opening ceremony and first round?

Kevin Bonham
13-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Do we have to go to registration if we have already paid? And if so would it be possible to confirm now that Marcus and I will be there at 1 for the opening ceremony and first round?

1 pm is fine for those who don't owe me money, since all I need from those people is to have showed up and got themselves recorded as present before we confirm the draw for the first round.

Anyone who owes money for entry fees or accommodation, please show up before 12:45, preferably well before.

Carl Gorka
14-01-2010, 08:12 AM
I will be blogging from the Championships assuming the internet connection stays strong:)

http://mccchess.wordpress.com/

joergw
14-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Great start, looking forward to your next blogs. So hopefully the internet connection will be good!

Cheers
Joerg

Desmond
14-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Is there going to be a live game broadcast?

Brian_Jones
14-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Is there going to be a live game broadcast?

I doubt it. The ACF DGT Boards are now back in the ACE showroom at Riverstone after their successful use in the Australian Championships at Norths.

I have not seen any official request for the Boards and, as far as I know, non of the experienced operators was offered a job in Hobart.

Maybe they will employ Monroi or similar technology?

Jesse Jager
14-01-2010, 01:32 PM
I doubt it. The ACF DGT Boards are now back in the ACE showroom at Riverstone after their successful use in the Australian Championships at Norths.

I have not seen any official request for the Boards and, as far as I know, non of the experienced operators was offered a job in Hobart.

Maybe they will employ Monroi or similar technology?

That is a real pity.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2010, 02:30 PM
News in brief:

We are underway now with all entrants from my previous listing except for Teagan Lee, who was erroneously entered in the full event but is actually rapid-only.

U18G is now a 13 round round robin 9 round swiss and schedule changes will be determined tonight.

U12G is now a 9 round round robin and schedule changes will be determined tonight.

Started about half an hour late mainly because of clock setting hassles but now well underway.

About 15-20 games over, no upsets yet. Hope to get full results of round 1 up as soon as round is over provided our connection (currently via a mobile phone but should improve tomorrow) is still OK.

There won't be any Monroi/DGT style live coverage. Will explain why not when a bit less busy.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Nearly all U12 Round 1 games are over. On the higher boards there was one upset (in ratings terms) with second seed Mason Carter defeated by Sasha Parsons.

Very few U18 games are over on the high boards but Yi Yuan has defeated Marcus Bretag and Yita Choong has defeated Vincent Horton.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Morris vs Deen-Cowell and L Bretag vs Cheng (boards 1 and 2) are both pretty serious slow-moving stuff with centres blocked with phalanxes of pawns and not a lot off the board. Lai-Schon double rook ending even pawns, Hendrey-Brown heavy piece ending black a pawn up.

Bill Chen (Tas, unrated) drew with Stuart Mason (1218).

Simmonds and Shan have won in GU18

All GU12 games over for round 1 with O'Rourke, Narenthran, Lim, Pretorius, Christian all winning

Lekko
14-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Morris vs Deen-Cowell and L Bretag vs Cheng (boards 1 and 2) are both pretty serious slow-moving stuff with centres blocked with phalanxes of pawns and not a lot off the board. Lai-Schon double rook ending even pawns, Hendrey-Brown heavy piece ending black a pawn up.

Bill Chen (Tas, unrated) drew with Stuart Mason (1218).

Simmonds and Shan have won in GU18

All GU12 games over for round 1 with O'Rourke, Narenthran, Lim, Pretorius, Christian all winning
Any news on S Karumbi, A Dale, F Dale and J Puccini?

Z&MLoh
14-01-2010, 03:43 PM
What about Michael Chan?

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2010, 03:44 PM
First upset in the U18s: Stephen Daenke defeats Jonas Muller.

Michael Chan a piece down against Charlie Smith but with swindle chances.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Any news on S Karumbi, A Dale, F Dale and J Puccini?

Karumbi still going vs PengYu Chen, material even but under lots of pressure.
A Dale won, F Dale loss to Lachlan Cameron, Puccini draw with J Walker.

Lekko
14-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Karumbi still going vs PengYu Chen, material even but under lots of pressure.
A Dale won, F Dale loss to Lachlan Cameron, Puccini draw with J Walker.
Thanks for the update.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Bortsova-Drastik had been K+2N+2P vs K+N+2P for a while and Drastik appears to have saved it by eliminating the last white pawn leaving KNN vs K.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2010, 04:28 PM
First upset that Tassie is on the plus side of - Charlie Smith has defeated Michael Chan.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2010, 04:56 PM
My previous report that the U18 Girls would be a 13-round RR was incorrect; that was intended but when it was put to the players they overwhelmingly preferred a 9-round Swiss.

Both Girls events are now 9 rounds and all girls get a rest day instead of the scheduled double round on the 16th.

Garvinator
14-01-2010, 05:08 PM
There won't be any Monroi/DGT style live coverage. Will explain why not when a bit less busy.
Awaits answer with anticipation :)

smurfo
14-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Great work on the forum updates Kevin. Much appreciated!

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Note: in future it is expected that draws and results will be placed on the TCA website before they go up here but at the moment that feature on the website is not ready so they are going here today.

No Name Feder Loc Total Result Name Feder Loc Total

1 Morris, James VIC 2196 [0] 1:0 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1622 [0]
2 Bretag, Lawrence TAS 1609 [0] 0:1 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2193 [0]
3 Yuan, Yi ACT 2128 [0] 1:0 Bretag, Marcus TAS 1575 [0]
4 Lai, Gene VIC 1559 [0] 0:1 Schon, Eugene VIC 2107 [0]
5 Choong, Yita WA 2007 [0] 1:0 Horton, Vincent TAS 1530 [0]
6 Hendrey, Kevin TAS 1446 [0] 0:1 Brown, Andrew ACT 1991 [0]
7 Muller, Jonas QLD 1979 [0] 0:1 Daenke, Stephen SA 1375 [0]
8 Hayman, Adam VIC 1364 [0] 0:1 Dalton, Samuel VIC 1958 [0]
9 Ding, Yilun VIC 1934 [0] 1:0 Bennett, Matthew ACT 1350 [0]
10 Bishop, Joshua ACT 1333 [0] 1:0 Grigg, Sam QLD 1925 [0]
11 Zulfic, Fedja SA 1913 [0] 1:0 Fifield, Andrew TAS 1332 [0]
12 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1311 [0] 0:1 Dyer, Alastair TAS 1903 [0]
13 Chan, Michael VIC 1840 [0] 0:1 Smith, Charlie TAS 1308 [0]
14 Briant, James TAS 1306 [0] 0:1 Papantoniou, John NSW 1777 [0]
15 Setiabudi, Allen ACT 1776 [0] 1:0 Short, Owen TAS 1290 [0]
16 O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1115 [0] 0:1 Milton, Anthony W SA 1730 [0]
17 Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1721 [0] 1:0 Karumbi, Simon VIC 1083 [0]
18 Bull-Quijano, Damar VIC 901 [0] 0:1 Encel, Benjamin NSW 1719 [0]
19 Smirnov, Anton NSW 1713 [0] 1:0 Reid, Mitchell TAS 895 [0]
20 Thornley, Max VIC 460 [0] 0:1 Cameron, Alistair SA 1706 [0]
21 Jule, Sebastian QLD 1701 [0] 1:0 Mackintosh, Kirk VIC [0]
22 O'Shaughnassy, Jack VIC [0] 0:1 Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1701 [0]
23 Tan, Kevin NSW 1697 [0] 1:0 Taminsyah, Aston WA [0]
24 Dommersnes, Brett VIC 187 [0] 1:0 BYE

1 Milton, Anthony W SA 1730 [1] : Morris, James VIC 2196 [1]
2 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2193 [1] : Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1721 [1]
3 Encel, Benjamin NSW 1719 [1] : Yuan, Yi ACT 2128 [1]
4 Schon, Eugene VIC 2107 [1] : Smirnov, Anton NSW 1713 [1]
5 Cameron, Alistair SA 1706 [1] : Choong, Yita WA 2007 [1]
6 Brown, Andrew ACT 1991 [1] : Jule, Sebastian QLD 1701 [1]
7 Dalton, Samuel VIC 1958 [1] : Tan, Kevin NSW 1697 [1]
8 Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1701 [1] : Ding, Yilun VIC 1934 [1]
9 Daenke, Stephen SA 1375 [1] : Zulfic, Fedja SA 1913 [1]
10 Dyer, Alastair TAS 1903 [1] : Bishop, Joshua ACT 1333 [1]
11 Papantoniou, John NSW 1777 [1] : Dommersnes, Brett VIC 187 [1]
12 Smith, Charlie TAS 1308 [1] : Setiabudi, Allen ACT 1776 [1]
13 Fifield, Andrew TAS 1332 [0] : Muller, Jonas QLD 1979 [0]
14 Grigg, Sam QLD 1925 [0] : Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1311 [0]
15 Short, Owen TAS 1290 [0] : Chan, Michael VIC 1840 [0]
16 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1622 [0] : Briant, James TAS 1306 [0]
17 Karumbi, Simon VIC 1083 [0] : Bretag, Lawrence TAS 1609 [0]
18 Bretag, Marcus TAS 1575 [0] : O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1115 [0]
19 Reid, Mitchell TAS 895 [0] : Lai, Gene VIC 1559 [0]
20 Horton, Vincent TAS 1530 [0] : Bull-Quijano, Damar VIC 901 [0]
21 Mackintosh, Kirk VIC [0] : Hendrey, Kevin TAS 1446 [0]
22 Taminsyah, Aston WA [0] : Hayman, Adam VIC 1364 [0]
23 Bennett, Matthew ACT 1350 [0] : O'Shaughnassy, Jack VIC [0]
24 Thornley, Max VIC 460 [0] 1:0 BYE

1 Gong, William NSW 764 [0] 0:1 Pan, Andrew NSW 1672 [0]
2 Carter, Mason TAS 1488 [0] 0:1 Parsons, Sasha VIC 660 [0]
3 Cannon, David VIC 571 [0] 0:1 Behar, Joshua NSW 1361 [0]
4 Jack, Martin QLD 1349 [0] 1:0 Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 396 [0]
5 Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 381 [0] 0:1 Kiripitige, Punala SA 1332 [0]
6 Derwent, Ethan ACT 1330 [0] 1:0 Brown, Oscar TAS [0]
7 Chen, Bill TAS [0] .5:.5 Mason, Stuart ACT 1218 [0]
8 Gray, Callum QLD 1212 [0] 1:0 Chrisoulakis, Thomas TAS [0]
9 Dale, Finley VIC [0] 0:1 Cameron, Lachlan SA 1154 [0]
10 Devarajh, Joshua VIC 1151 [0] 1:0 Dowley, Liam VIC [0]
11 Kethro, Michael ACT 1127 [0] 1:0 Dowley, Owen VIC [0]
12 Wallmueller, Peter VIC 1103 [0] 1:0 Gillkum, Anurag TAS [0]
13 Gregoric, Peter SA [0] 0:1 Dale, Ari VIC 1085 [0]
14 Pyper, Matthew QLD 1048 [0] 1:0 Jiang, Robert TAS [0]
15 Krasnicki, Sebastian TAS [0] 0:1 Nicholls, Stuart SA 1042 [0]
16 Hughes, Harry QLD 981 [0] 1:0 Lawrence, Cormac TAS [0]
17 MacAdam, Alex SA [0] .5:.5 Lim, Ethan VIC 972 [0]
18 Yung, Cameron VIC 965 [0] 0:1 Mukhedkar, Varun WA [0]
19 Puccini, Jack VIC [0] .5:.5 Walker, Joshua ACT 953 [0]
20 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 943 [0] 0:1 Ruan, Max VIC [0]
21 Schroder, Nicolaas VIC [0] 0:1 Briant, Harrison TAS 899 [0]
22 Gong, Noah NSW 780 [0] 1:0 Vince, Bradley TAS [0]
23 Yu, Shuqi TAS [0] 1:0 BYE

1 Pan, Andrew NSW 1672 [1] : Pyper, Matthew QLD 1048 [1]
2 Behar, Joshua NSW 1361 [1] : Hughes, Harry QLD 981 [1]
3 Dale, Ari VIC 1085 [1] : Jack, Martin QLD 1349 [1]
4 Kiripitige, Punala SA 1332 [1] : Gong, Noah NSW 780 [1]
5 Nicholls, Stuart SA 1042 [1] : Derwent, Ethan ACT 1330 [1]
6 Briant, Harrison TAS 899 [1] : Gray, Callum QLD 1212 [1]
7 Cameron, Lachlan SA 1154 [1] : Yu, Shuqi TAS [1]
8 Parsons, Sasha VIC 660 [1] : Devarajh, Joshua VIC 1151 [1]
9 Mukhedkar, Varun WA [1] : Kethro, Michael ACT 1127 [1]
10 Ruan, Max VIC [1] : Wallmueller, Peter VIC 1103 [1]
11 Mason, Stuart ACT 1218 [.5] : MacAdam, Alex SA [.5]
12 Lim, Ethan VIC 972 [.5] : Puccini, Jack VIC [.5]
13 Walker, Joshua ACT 953 [.5] : Chen, Bill TAS [.5]
14 Dowley, Owen VIC [0] : Carter, Mason TAS 1488 [0]
15 Dowley, Liam VIC [0] : Yung, Cameron VIC 965 [0]
16 Gillkum, Anurag TAS [0] : Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 943 [0]
17 Jiang, Robert TAS [0] : Gong, William NSW 764 [0]
18 Lawrence, Cormac TAS [0] : Cannon, David VIC 571 [0]
19 Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 396 [0] : Dale, Finley VIC [0]
20 Vince, Bradley TAS [0] : Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 381 [0]
21 Brown, Oscar TAS [0] : Gregoric, Peter SA [0]
22 Chrisoulakis, Thomas TAS [0] : Krasnicki, Sebastian TAS [0]
23 Schroder, Nicolaas VIC [0] 1:0 BYE

1 Mason, Joanne ACT 964 [0] 0:1 Setiabudi, Megan ACT 1399 [0]
2 Bortsova, Natasha SA 1371 [0] .5:.5 Drastik, Penelope NSW 898 [0]
3 Johansen, Carla VIC 774 [0] 0:1 Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1323 [0]
4 Shan, Caroline NSW 1223 [0] 1:0 Yum, Winnie QLD 741 [0]
5 Yum, Jenny QLD 604 [0] 0:1 Kanagarajah, Abbie QLD 1221 [0]
6 Pretorius, Jana NSW 1094 [0] 1:0 Narenthran, Janaki VIC 422 [0]
7 Dilnutt, Charlotte VIC 355 [0] .5:.5 Lu, Ruihong VIC 1074 [0]

1 Setiabudi, Megan ACT 1399 [1] : Shan, Caroline NSW 1223 [1]
2 Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1323 [1] : Pretorius, Jana NSW 1094 [1]
3 Kanagarajah, Abbie QLD 1221 [1] : Bortsova, Natasha SA 1371 [.5]
4 Drastik, Penelope NSW 898 [.5] : Dilnutt, Charlotte VIC 355 [.5]
5 Lu, Ruihong VIC 1074 [.5] : Mason, Joanne ACT 964 [0]
6 Narenthran, Janaki VIC 422 [0] : Johansen, Carla VIC 774 [0]
7 Yum, Winnie QLD 741 [0] : Yum, Jenny QLD 604 [0]

1 Christian, Kashish NSW 567 [0] 1:0 Lai, Zalia ACT 555 [0]
2 Pretorius, Helen NSW 175 [0] 1:0 Derwent, Hannah ACT [0]
3 Lim, Denise VIC 940 [0] 1:0 Perera, Yuvini TAS [0]
4 Narenthran, Savithri VIC 882 [0] 1:0 Shan, Grace NSW 121 [0]
5 O'Rourke, Caitlin NSW 355 [0] 1:0 Alvares, Grace NSW 629 [0]

1 Lai, Zalia ACT 555 [0] : Alvares, Grace NSW 629 [0]
2 Shan, Grace NSW 121 [0] : O'Rourke, Caitlin NSW 355 [1]
3 Perera, Yuvini TAS [0] : Narenthran, Savithri VIC 882 [1]
4 Derwent, Hannah ACT [0] : Lim, Denise VIC 940 [1]
5 Christian, Kashish NSW 567 [1] : Pretorius, Helen NSW 175 [1]

Garvinator
14-01-2010, 06:35 PM
And just like that all Mason Carter's hopes of a rating improvement in this tournament did not even survive Round One.

2 Carter, Mason TAS 1488 [0] 0:1 Parsons, Sasha VIC 660 [0]

Saragossa
14-01-2010, 06:46 PM
1. e4 g6 2. d4 Bg7 3. Nc3 d6 4. Be3 a6 5. Bc4 e6 6. Qd2 h6 7. Nf3 Ne7 8. O-O-O b5 9. Bb3 Bb7 10. d5 e5 11. Qd3 Bc8 12. Nd2 f5 13. f3 Nd7 14. a4 b4 15. Ne2 f4 16. Bf2 g5 17. a5 Nf6 18. Qc4 Ng6 19. Qxb4?! g4 20. Nc4 h5 21. Be1?! h4 22. h3 gxf3 23. gxf3 Nh5 24. Ba4+?! Bd7 25. Rg1 Ng3 26. Nxg3 hxg3 27. Bxg3 fxg3 28. Rxg3 Bh6+ 29. Kb1 Ne7 30. Nxe5 dxe5 31. d6 Bxa4 32. Qxa4+ Kf7 33. Qc4+ Kf6

Basically the rest was me just running with my pawns and losing pretty quickly after that. This was my game vs Bobby Cheng and I annoyingly missed the correct order of a winning combo. Fritz is satisfied that white has equality after the first sac although in practicality I think I was losing. Without 24. Ba4+ the combination works.

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I'd like to thank everybody today for their fantastic response in filling out forms to help us gain sponsorship for the tournament (and apologies if in the mad rush we didn't explain it perfectly and a few people found it confusing and wondered what it is for). Based on the large number of nights people have documented it looks like we will do very well out of that particular avenue of sponsorship, which will at least offset our losses compared to budget in a few other areas.

Capablanca-Fan
14-01-2010, 09:48 PM
1. e4 g6 2. d4 Bg7 3. Nc3 d6 4. Be3 a6 5. Bc4 e6 6. Qd2 h6 7. Nf3 Ne7 8. O-O-O b5 9. Bb3 Bb7 10. d5 e5 11. Qd3 Bc8 12. Nd2 f5 13. f3 Nd7 14. a4 b4 15. Ne2 f4 16. Bf2 g5 17. a5 Nf6 18. Qc4 Ng6 19. Qxb4?! g4 20. Nc4 h5 21. Be1?! h4 22. h3 gxf3 23. gxf3 Nh5 24. Ba4+?! Bd7 25. Rg1 Ng3 26. Nxg3 hxg3 27. Bxg3 fxg3 28. Rxg3 Bh6+ 29. Kb1 Ne7 30. Nxe5 dxe5 31. d6 Bxa4 32. Qxa4+ Kf7 33. Qc4+ Kf6

Basically the rest was me just running with my pawns and losing pretty quickly after that. This was my game vs Bobby Cheng and I annoyingly missed the correct order of a winning combo. Fritz is satisfied that white has equality after the first sac although in practicality I think I was losing. Without 24. Ba4+ the combination works.
I think you were doing fine for a long time. With such a blocked centre, taking the bP was good. So was 24. Ba4+ from a positional angle, removing Black's good B. It's a difficult question whether h3 before g4 is good: on one hand, it helps Black open lines; on the other, it exchanges off a possible target. Later on, Rh2 and Ng1 would hold the K-side, then White could advance on the Q-side with Kb1, Rc1 and push the cP to c5.

Tony Dowden
14-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Hi Lawrence - I think you were doing fine for a long time too. Well done :D

Jono is right to say that the key was to get your c-pawn rolling - maybe very soon after Qxb4 and maybe supported by Rc1. Your knight still goes to c4 but only after the c-pawn gets to c5. (If all this isn't clear to you the pawn formation is the clue: your c-pawn is the first weapon apply to the potentially soft point on d6).

All the best for the rest of the event :cool:

Tony Dowden
14-01-2010, 10:52 PM
And just like that all Mason Carter's hopes of a rating improvement in this tournament did not even survive Round One.

I wouldn't write Mason's event off after only one round ;) He might not win outright now but I'm sure he'll do well. He nearly beat me last year (and did actually draw the initially won ending) when I was meant to to be 800 rating points 'stronger' ...

Garvinator
14-01-2010, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't write Mason's event off after only one round ;) He might not win outright now but I'm sure he'll do well. He nearly beat me last year (and did actually draw the initially won ending) when I was meant to to be 800 rating points 'stronger' ...
I was only commenting about rating improvement, not whether his tournament winning chances were finished.

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Haven't tried compiling a large PGN database and posting it here before so can a few people please tell me if they were able to open the attached OK. At this stage I don't want to know about cosmetic errors, just if the thing works at all.

Entrants will be able to see all round 1 games in the bulletin after they finish round 2 in any case.

As for Mason, I've said all along that as strong as his recent Tas results are he shouldn't be hyped too much for the U12s on account of his high rating, or expected to get the kinds of 1700s PRs he has been getting in adult events. Playing in this kind of tournament is a very different environment both socially and in terms of tournament skills required to cleaning up declining ex-Burnie club champions in G60/+10s, and that takes some getting used to.

Lawrence's game with Bobby was a really good effort and a lot of fun to watch. Certainly my pick for game of the round.

Adamski
15-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Hi Kevin,
Your PGN file works fine with Fritz.
Thanks!
Jonathan

Ian Rout
15-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Hi Kevin,
Your PGN file works fine with Fritz.
Thanks!
Jonathan
Works fine for me too, assuming 57 games is the right number.

joergw
15-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Haven't tried compiling a large PGN database and posting it here before so can a few people please tell me if they were able to open the attached OK.

Thank you very much for that. Hope we can get the next rounds as well - many very interesting games!!

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Works fine for me too, assuming 57 games is the right number.

It is. Thanks people for letting me know.

Ramin Law (Tas u/r) has entered the U12 as a late entry and plays the player who was scheduled for a bye with the consent of all involved and the arbiters.

Round 2 is now underway. Rogers simul starting in a bit over 1 hr downstairs.

Lekko
15-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Can I get an update on A Dale, F Dale, S Karumbi and J Puccini again?

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Upset brewing! Morris is a whole rook down against Milton, don't know how it happened as I was too busy setting up the simul which is now underway

Chen-Cheng only a pawn each off the board, playing slowly

Yuan piece for two pawns up v Encel

Schon 1-0 Smirnov

Cameron - Choong draw

Desmond
15-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I heard a bit on the Triple J news mentioning the Aust Juniors. :)

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Can I get an update on A Dale, F Dale, S Karumbi and J Puccini again?

Karumbi is playing Lawrence Bretag; pawn up at the moment but a messy position where I don't really know at a quick look what's going on.

A Dale upset win over Martin Jack
F Dale won against K Willathgamuwa
Puccini drew against Ethan Lim.

Lekko
15-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Upset brewing! Morris is a whole rook down against Milton, don't know how it happened as I was too busy setting up the simul which is now underway

Chen-Cheng only a pawn each off the board, playing slowly

Yuan piece for two pawns up v Encel

Schon 1-0 Smirnov

Cameron - Choong draw
Does he have any compensation? Is he attacking?

Thanks for those updates, I have a feeling Ari's going to do very well. Let me know the result of Simon's game when it finishes please.

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I heard a bit on the Triple J news mentioning the Aust Juniors. :)

Excellent! I haven't had time to follow the news coverage at all but we got a big grab on ABC TV News here last night; James Morris, Andrew Pan and Natasha Bortsova were interviewed (quite a bit of Natasha's went to air).

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Does he have any compensation? Is he attacking?

Not significantly IMO.

Lekko
15-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Not significantly IMO.
I wonder if he can pull it off. How many minor pieces are off the board, and the queens still on?

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 03:06 PM
I wonder if he can pull it off. How many minor pieces are off the board, and the queens still on?

Queens went off not long ago; he has an advanced pawn for it but nothing really, it's just lost if the opponent plays with sufficient care. He has a rook and a knight on the board, Milton two rooks and a bishop.

U12s all over except for Mason-MacAdam where white has what looks like a winnable same-colour bishop with two pawns vs one.

Yi Yuan won.

No points for the big team in the simul yet! About 28 games going there last I checked.

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 03:56 PM
7 games in progress approaching the end of hour 4.

Cheng-Chen still rook and three pawns for two pieces, looks under control for Bobby.

Dalton-Tan Dalton now exchange up

Stahnke-Ding is interesting - Ding with two rooks and pawn for queen but Stahnke has a pawn on the seventh, and also a king surrounded by Ding's pieces

Dyer-Bishop Dyer trying to win with rook and h and g pawn vs rook and f pawn, king well placed

Deen-Cowell - Briant NDC has two knights for rook and looks dominant

Taminsyah - Hayman Taminsyah winning

Setiabudi - Shan Setiabudi exchange and pawn up but with opposite side pawn majorities so not quite over yet

peteryang
15-01-2010, 04:01 PM
does tan have any compensation?

Adamski
15-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Queens went off not long ago; he has an advanced pawn for it but nothing really, it's just lost if the opponent plays with sufficient care. He has a rook and a knight on the board, Milton two rooks and a bishop.As noted in the Shoutbox, Anthony Milton from SA (1730) beat IM-elect James Morris. :clap:

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 04:21 PM
does tan have any compensation?

Now Tan has the material but Dalton has the compensation!

Current position in Dalton-Tan

3n4/1p1k1p2/4pQ1P/3pP3/p4P2/5BPK/3q4/8 b - - 0 1

Black to move

peteryang
15-01-2010, 04:25 PM
woah that looks pretty crazy can tan stop dalton's h pawn?

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Dalton won, M Setiabudi won, Deen-Cowell won, Ding-Stahnke draw (be interesting to see how that ended!)

I think Taminsyah just won a knight against Hayman and is already exchange up so that leaves only Cheng-Chen.

Still rook and three pawns for two pieces, both below 3 mins now (remember it's a one minute increment)

Max Illingworth
15-01-2010, 04:31 PM
...Qd3 followed by ...a3-a2-a1=Q against most moves appears to hold.

Z&MLoh
15-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Karumbi is playing Lawrence Bretag; pawn up at the moment but a messy position where I don't really know at a quick look what's going on.

A Dale upset win over Martin Jack
F Dale won against K Willathgamuwa
Puccini drew against Ethan Lim.

Spensley Street kids doing well. Ari Dale's result is only an upset based on ratings. He beat Martin at the recent ASTC championships as well.

Desmond
15-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Yes it's tricky. White has things like Bg6 and (P)f5 to get the pawn home but black will make a new queen too.

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 05:15 PM

1 Milton, Anthony W SA 1730 [1] 1:0 Morris, James VIC 2196 [1]
2 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2193 [1] 1:0 Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1721 [1]
3 Encel, Benjamin NSW 1719 [1] 0:1 Yuan, Yi ACT 2128 [1]
4 Schon, Eugene VIC 2107 [1] 1:0 Smirnov, Anton NSW 1713 [1]
5 Cameron, Alistair SA 1706 [1] .5:.5 Choong, Yita WA 2007 [1]
6 Brown, Andrew ACT 1991 [1] 1:0 Jule, Sebastian QLD 1701 [1]
7 Dalton, Samuel VIC 1958 [1] 1:0 Tan, Kevin NSW 1697 [1]
8 Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1701 [1] .5:.5 Ding, Yilun VIC 1934 [1]
9 Daenke, Stephen SA 1375 [1] 0:1 Zulfic, Fedja SA 1913 [1]
10 Dyer, Alastair TAS 1903 [1] 1:0 Bishop, Joshua ACT 1333 [1]
11 Papantoniou, John NSW 1777 [1] 1:0 Dommersnes, Brett VIC 187 [1]
12 Smith, Charlie TAS 1308 [1] 0:1 Setiabudi, Allen ACT 1776 [1]
13 Fifield, Andrew TAS 1332 [0] 0:1 Muller, Jonas QLD 1979 [0]
14 Grigg, Sam QLD 1925 [0] 1:0 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1311 [0]
15 Short, Owen TAS 1290 [0] 0:1 Chan, Michael VIC 1840 [0]
16 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1622 [0] 1:0 Briant, James TAS 1306 [0]
17 Karumbi, Simon VIC 1083 [0] 0:1 Bretag, Lawrence TAS 1609 [0]
18 Bretag, Marcus TAS 1575 [0] 1:0 O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1115 [0]
19 Reid, Mitchell TAS 895 [0] 0:1 Lai, Gene VIC 1559 [0]
20 Horton, Vincent TAS 1530 [0] 1:0 Bull-Quijano, Damar VIC 901 [0]
21 Mackintosh, Kirk VIC [0] 0:1 Hendrey, Kevin TAS 1446 [0]
22 Taminsyah, Aston WA [0] 1:0 Hayman, Adam VIC 1364 [0]
23 Bennett, Matthew ACT 1350 [0] 1:0 O'Shaughnassy, Jack VIC [0]
24 Thornley, Max VIC 460 [0] 1:0 BYE

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Total 1 2

1 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2193 2 26:W 21:W
2 Yuan, Yi ACT 2128 2 27:W 22:W
3 Schon, Eugene VIC 2107 2 28:W 23:W
4 Brown, Andrew ACT 1991 2 29:W 24:W
5 Dalton, Samuel VIC 1958 2 37:W 16:W
6 Zulfic, Fedja SA 1913 2 38:W 17:W
7 Dyer, Alastair TAS 1903 2 39:W 18:W
8 Setiabudi, Allen ACT 1776 2 41:W 19:W
9 Milton, Anthony W SA 1730 2 42:W 15:W
10 Papantoniou, John NSW 1777 2 40:W 20:W
11 Choong, Yita WA 2007 1.5 30:W 13:D
12 Ding, Yilun VIC 1934 1.5 31:W 14:D
13 Cameron, Alistair SA 1706 1.5 25:W 11:D
14 Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1701 1.5 43:W 12:D
15 Morris, James VIC 2305 2196 1 35:W 9:L
16 Tan, Kevin NSW 1697 1 36:W 5:L
17 Daenke, Stephen SA 1375 1 32:W 6:L
18 Bishop, Joshua ACT 1333 1 33:W 7:L
19 Smith, Charlie TAS 1308 1 34:W 8:L
20 Dommersnes, Brett VIC 187 1 0:W 10:L
21 Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1721 1 44:W 1:L
22 Encel, Benjamin NSW 1719 1 45:W 2:L
23 Smirnov, Anton NSW 1713 1 46:W 3:L
24 Jule, Sebastian QLD 1701 1 47:W 4:L
25 Thornley, Max VIC 460 1 13:L 0:W
26 Bretag, Lawrence TAS 1609 1 1:L 44:W
27 Bretag, Marcus TAS 1575 1 2:L 42:W
28 Lai, Gene VIC 1559 1 3:L 46:W
29 Hendrey, Kevin TAS 1446 1 4:L 47:W
30 Horton, Vincent TAS 1530 1 11:L 45:W
31 Bennett, Matthew ACT 1350 1 12:L 43:W
32 Muller, Jonas QLD 1979 1 17:L 38:W
33 Grigg, Sam QLD 1925 1 18:L 39:W
34 Chan, Michael VIC 1840 1 19:L 41:W
35 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1622 1 15:L 40:W
36 Taminsyah, Aston WA 1 16:L 37:W
37 Hayman, Adam VIC 1364 0 5:L 36:L
38 Fifield, Andrew TAS 1332 0 6:L 32:L
39 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1311 0 7:L 33:L
40 Briant, James TAS 1306 0 10:L 35:L
41 Short, Owen TAS 1290 0 8:L 34:L
42 O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1115 0 9:L 27:L
43 O'Shaughnassy, Jack VIC 0 14:L 31:L
44 Karumbi, Simon VIC 1083 0 21:L 26:L
45 Bull-Quijano, Damar VIC 901 0 22:L 30:L
46 Reid, Mitchell TAS 895 0 23:L 28:L
47 Mackintosh, Kirk VIC 0 24:L 29:L

1 Zulfic, Fedja SA 1913 [2] : Cheng, Bobby VIC 2193 [2]
2 Yuan, Yi ACT 2128 [2] : Dyer, Alastair TAS 1903 [2]
3 Papantoniou, John NSW 1777 [2] : Schon, Eugene VIC 2107 [2]
4 Setiabudi, Allen ACT 1776 [2] : Brown, Andrew ACT 1991 [2]
5 Milton, Anthony W SA 1730 [2] : Dalton, Samuel VIC 1958 [2]
6 Choong, Yita WA 2007 [1.5] : Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1701 [1.5]
7 Ding, Yilun VIC 1934 [1.5] : Cameron, Alistair SA 1706 [1.5]
8 Morris, James VIC 2196 [1] : Bretag, Marcus TAS 1575 [1]
9 Muller, Jonas QLD 1979 [1] : Lai, Gene VIC 1559 [1]
10 Hendrey, Kevin TAS 1446 [1] : Grigg, Sam QLD 1925 [1]
11 Chan, Michael VIC 1840 [1] : Horton, Vincent TAS 1530 [1]
12 Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1721 [1] : Daenke, Stephen SA 1375 [1]
13 Bishop, Joshua ACT 1333 [1] : Encel, Benjamin NSW 1719 [1]
14 Smirnov, Anton NSW 1713 [1] : Bennett, Matthew ACT 1350 [1]
15 Jule, Sebastian QLD 1701 [1] : Smith, Charlie TAS 1308 [1]
16 Tan, Kevin NSW 1697 [1] : Thornley, Max VIC 460 [1]
17 Dommersnes, Brett VIC 187 [1] : Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1622 [1]
18 Bretag, Lawrence TAS 1609 [1] : Taminsyah, Aston WA [1]
19 Hayman, Adam VIC 1364 [0] : O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1115 [0]
20 Bull-Quijano, Damar VIC 901 [0] : Fifield, Andrew TAS 1332 [0]
21 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1311 [0] : Karumbi, Simon VIC 1083 [0]
22 Briant, James TAS 1306 [0] : Mackintosh, Kirk VIC [0]
23 O'Shaughnassy, Jack VIC [0] : Short, Owen TAS 1290 [0]
24 Reid, Mitchell TAS 895 [0] 1:0 BYE

1 Pan, Andrew NSW 1672 [1] 1:0 Pyper, Matthew QLD 1048 [1]
2 Behar, Joshua NSW 1361 [1] 1:0 Hughes, Harry QLD 981 [1]
3 Dale, Ari VIC 1085 [1] 1:0 Jack, Martin QLD 1349 [1]
4 Kiripitige, Punala SA 1332 [1] 1:0 Gong, Noah NSW 780 [1]
5 Nicholls, Stuart SA 1042 [1] 1:0 Derwent, Ethan ACT 1330 [1]
6 Briant, Harrison TAS 899 [1] 0:1 Gray, Callum QLD 1212 [1]
7 Cameron, Lachlan SA 1154 [1] 1:0 Yu, Shuqi TAS [1]
8 Parsons, Sasha VIC 660 [1] 0:1 Devarajh, Joshua VIC 1151 [1]
9 Mukhedkar, Varun WA [1] 0:1 Kethro, Michael ACT 1127 [1]
10 Ruan, Max VIC [1] .5:.5 Wallmueller, Peter VIC 1103 [1]
11 Mason, Stuart ACT 1218 [.5] 1:0 MacAdam, Alex SA [.5]
12 Lim, Ethan VIC 972 [.5] .5:.5 Puccini, Jack VIC [.5]
13 Walker, Joshua ACT 953 [.5] 1:0 Chen, Bill TAS [.5]
14 Dowley, Owen VIC [0] 0:1 Carter, Mason TAS 1488 [0]
15 Dowley, Liam VIC [0] 0:1 Yung, Cameron VIC 965 [0]
16 Gillkum, Anurag TAS [0] 0:1 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 943 [0]
17 Jiang, Robert TAS [0] 0:1 Gong, William NSW 764 [0]
18 Lawrence, Cormac TAS [0] 0:1 Cannon, David VIC 571 [0]
19 Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 396 [0] 0:1 Dale, Finley VIC [0]
20 Vince, Bradley TAS [0] 0:1 Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 381 [0]
21 Brown, Oscar TAS [0] 1:0 Gregoric, Peter SA [0]
22 Chrisoulakis, Thomas TAS [0] 0:1 Krasnicki, Sebastian TAS [0]
23 Law, Ramin TAS [0] 0:1 Schroder, Nicolaas VIC [0]

1 Cameron, Lachlan SA 1154 [2] : Pan, Andrew NSW 1672 [2]
2 Devarajh, Joshua VIC 1151 [2] : Behar, Joshua NSW 1361 [2]
3 Kethro, Michael ACT 1127 [2] : Kiripitige, Punala SA 1332 [2]
4 Gray, Callum QLD 1212 [2] : Dale, Ari VIC 1085 [2]
5 Mason, Stuart ACT 1218 [1.5] : Nicholls, Stuart SA 1042 [2]
6 Wallmueller, Peter VIC 1103 [1.5] : Walker, Joshua ACT 953 [1.5]
7 Carter, Mason TAS 1488 [1] : Ruan, Max VIC [1.5]
8 Jack, Martin QLD 1349 [1] : Parsons, Sasha VIC 660 [1]
9 Derwent, Ethan ACT 1330 [1] : Cannon, David VIC 571 [1]
10 Pyper, Matthew QLD 1048 [1] : Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 381 [1]
11 Hughes, Harry QLD 981 [1] : Brown, Oscar TAS [1]
12 Dale, Finley VIC [1] : Lim, Ethan VIC 972 [1]
13 Yung, Cameron VIC 965 [1] : Krasnicki, Sebastian TAS [1]
14 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 943 [1] : Mukhedkar, Varun WA [1]
15 Puccini, Jack VIC [1] : Briant, Harrison TAS 899 [1]
16 Gong, Noah NSW 780 [1] : Schroder, Nicolaas VIC [1]
17 Yu, Shuqi TAS [1] : Gong, William NSW 764 [1]
18 Chen, Bill TAS [.5] : MacAdam, Alex SA [.5]
19 Gregoric, Peter SA [0] : Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 396 [0]
20 Jiang, Robert TAS [0] : Chrisoulakis, Thomas TAS [0]
21 Dowley, Liam VIC [0] : Law, Ramin TAS [0]
22 Lawrence, Cormac TAS [0] : Dowley, Owen VIC [0]
23 Vince, Bradley TAS [0] : Gillkum, Anurag TAS [0]

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Total 1 2 3

1 Pan, Andrew NSW 1672 2 31:W 20:W 4:
2 Behar, Joshua NSW 1361 2 25:W 21:W 7:
3 Kiripitige, Punala SA 1332 2 26:W 22:W 8:
4 Cameron, Lachlan SA 1154 2 27:W 14:W 1:
5 Nicholls, Stuart SA 1042 2 28:W 15:W 12:
6 Gray, Callum QLD 1212 2 37:W 16:W 9:
7 Devarajh, Joshua VIC 1151 2 38:W 17:W 2:
8 Kethro, Michael ACT 1127 2 39:W 18:W 3:
9 Dale, Ari VIC 1085 2 40:W 19:W 6:
10 Ruan, Max VIC 1.5 30:W 11:D 29:
11 Wallmueller, Peter VIC 1103 1.5 41:W 10:D 13:
12 Mason, Stuart ACT 1218 1.5 35:D 36:W 5:
13 Walker, Joshua ACT 953 1.5 23:D 35:W 11:
14 Yu, Shuqi TAS 1 0:W 4:L 31:
15 Derwent, Ethan ACT 1330 1 33:W 5:L 25:
16 Briant, Harrison TAS 899 1 34:W 6:L 23:
17 Parsons, Sasha VIC 660 1 29:W 7:L 19:
18 Mukhedkar, Varun WA 1 32:W 8:L 30:
19 Jack, Martin QLD 1349 1 43:W 9:L 17:
20 Pyper, Matthew QLD 1048 1 44:W 1:L 26:
21 Hughes, Harry QLD 981 1 45:W 2:L 33:
22 Gong, Noah NSW 780 1 46:W 3:L 34:
23 Puccini, Jack VIC 1 13:D 24:D 16:
24 Lim, Ethan VIC 972 1 36:D 23:D 27:
25 Cannon, David VIC 571 1 2:L 45:W 15:
26 Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 381 1 3:L 46:W 20:
27 Dale, Finley VIC 1 4:L 43:W 24:
28 Krasnicki, Sebastian TAS 1 5:L 37:W 32:
29 Carter, Mason TAS 1488 1 17:L 39:W 10:
30 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 943 1 10:L 41:W 18:
31 Gong, William NSW 764 1 1:L 44:W 14:
32 Yung, Cameron VIC 965 1 18:L 38:W 28:
33 Brown, Oscar TAS 1 15:L 40:W 21:
34 Schroder, Nicolaas VIC 1 16:L 42:W 22:
35 Chen, Bill TAS .5 12:D 13:L 36:
36 MacAdam, Alex SA .5 24:D 12:L 35:
37 Chrisoulakis, Thomas TAS 0 6:L 28:L 44:
38 Dowley, Liam VIC 0 7:L 32:L 42:
39 Dowley, Owen VIC 0 8:L 29:L 45:
40 Gregoric, Peter SA 0 9:L 33:L 43:
41 Gillkum, Anurag TAS 0 11:L 30:L 46:
42 Law, Ramin TAS 0 0: 34:L 38:
43 Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 396 0 19:L 27:L 40:
44 Jiang, Robert TAS 0 20:L 31:L 37:
45 Lawrence, Cormac TAS 0 21:L 25:L 39:
46 Vince, Bradley TAS 0 22:L 26:L 41:

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 05:21 PM

1 Setiabudi, Megan ACT 1399 [1] 1:0 Shan, Caroline NSW 1223 [1]
2 Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1323 [1] 1:0 Pretorius, Jana NSW 1094 [1]
3 Kanagarajah, Abbie QLD 1221 [1] 1:0 Bortsova, Natasha SA 1371 [.5]
4 Drastik, Penelope NSW 898 [.5] .5:.5 Dilnutt, Charlotte VIC 355 [.5]
5 Lu, Ruihong VIC 1074 [.5] 0:1 Mason, Joanne ACT 964 [0]
6 Narenthran, Janaki VIC 422 [0] 1:0 Johansen, Carla VIC 774 [0]
7 Yum, Winnie QLD 741 [0] 0:1 Yum, Jenny QLD 604 [0]

1 Kanagarajah, Abbie QLD 1221 [2] : Setiabudi, Megan ACT 1399 [2]
2 Shan, Caroline NSW 1223 [1] : Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1323 [2]
3 Pretorius, Jana NSW 1094 [1] : Dilnutt, Charlotte VIC 355 [1]
4 Mason, Joanne ACT 964 [1] : Narenthran, Janaki VIC 422 [1]
5 Yum, Jenny QLD 604 [1] : Drastik, Penelope NSW 898 [1]
6 Bortsova, Natasha SA 1371 [.5] : Lu, Ruihong VIC 1074 [.5]
7 Johansen, Carla VIC 774 [0] : Yum, Winnie QLD 741 [0]

No Name Feder Loc Total 1 2 3

1 Setiabudi, Megan ACT 1399 2 8:W 4:W 2:
2 Kanagarajah, Abbie QLD 1221 2 9:W 11:W 1:
3 Simmonds, Leteisha QLD 1323 2 13:W 5:W 4:
4 Shan, Caroline NSW 1223 1 14:W 1:L 3:
5 Pretorius, Jana NSW 1094 1 10:W 3:L 7:
6 Drastik, Penelope NSW 898 1 11:D 7:D 9:
7 Dilnutt, Charlotte VIC 355 1 12:D 6:D 5:
8 Mason, Joanne ACT 964 1 1:L 12:W 10:
9 Yum, Jenny QLD 604 1 2:L 14:W 6:
10 Narenthran, Janaki VIC 422 1 5:L 13:W 8:
11 Bortsova, Natasha SA 1371 .5 6:D 2:L 12:
12 Lu, Ruihong VIC 1074 .5 7:D 8:L 11:
13 Johansen, Carla VIC 774 0 3:L 10:L 14:
14 Yum, Winnie QLD 741 0 4:L 9:L 13:

1 Lai, Zalia ACT 555 [0] 0:1 Alvares, Grace NSW 629 [0]
2 Shan, Grace NSW 121 [0] 0:1 O'Rourke, Caitlin NSW 355 [1]
3 Perera, Yuvini TAS [0] 0:1 Narenthran, Savithri VIC 882 [1]
4 Derwent, Hannah ACT [0] 0:1 Lim, Denise VIC 940 [1]
5 Christian, Kashish NSW 567 [1] 1:0 Pretorius, Helen NSW 175 [1]

1 Pretorius, Helen NSW 175 [1] : Lai, Zalia ACT 555 [0]
2 Lim, Denise VIC 940 [2] : Christian, Kashish NSW 567 [2]
3 Narenthran, Savithri VIC 882 [2] : Derwent, Hannah ACT [0]
4 O'Rourke, Caitlin NSW 355 [2] : Perera, Yuvini TAS [0]
5 Alvares, Grace NSW 629 [1] : Shan, Grace NSW 121 [0]

No Name Feder Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

1 Christian, Kashish NSW 567 2 * W W
2 Lim, Denise VIC 940 2 * W W
3 O'Rourke, Caitlin NSW 355 2 * W W
4 Narenthran, Savithri VIC 882 2 * W W
5 Pretorius, Helen NSW 175 1 L * W
6 Alvares, Grace NSW 629 1 L * W
7 Perera, Yuvini TAS 0 L L *
8 Shan, Grace NSW 121 0 L L *
9 Derwent, Hannah ACT 0 L L *
10 Lai, Zalia ACT 555 0 L L *

queenant89
15-01-2010, 08:17 PM
GO MCC BOYS!!!
Keep up the Good work
Simon, Ari, James, Finley....

AzureBlue
15-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Excellent! I haven't had time to follow the news coverage at all but we got a big grab on ABC TV News here last night; James Morris, Andrew Pan and Natasha Bortsova were interviewed (quite a bit of Natasha's went to air).
The link to the news report is here :) :
http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/01/14/2792775.htm

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2010, 10:03 PM
PGN after round 2 attached (if I remember to attach it to the post this time having failed at the previous two three attempts! :doh: :doh: :doh: )

However because of the upload size limits for future rounds I will just upload the PGN for that round and perhaps the one previous. I am aiming to upload round 3 tomorrow afternoon before round 4 finishes, but we'll see how that goes.

Internet connection situation has now improved somewhat (we purchased a cheap USB mobile phone modem thingy) and I should be able to stay online more when at the venue from now on.

Note there are 59 "games" instead of 57 because one appears in two parts and there is one more game in the U12s with Raman Law now playing.

Tomorrow is Girls' Day Off!

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Zulfic-Cheng after queen exchange, white to move

2n3k1/p4ppp/1p2p3/3p4/PP1P1P2/3B2P1/5P1P/6K1 w - - 0 1

Max Illingworth
16-01-2010, 12:06 PM
This endgame looks slightly better for Cheng, although I don't see how Black can win after 1.f5! ef5 2.Bf5 Nd6 3.Bd3.

Garvinator
16-01-2010, 12:14 PM

Awaits answer with anticipation :)
Still awaiting with anticipation.

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Still awaiting with anticipation.

After your blatant misinterpretation of my comments on the other thread you can wait a few days longer. :lol:

michael.mcguirk
16-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Eurgh, James won't be happy with that! Poor bugger.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
16-01-2010, 01:34 PM

Actually, that plan doesn't work due to what Dalton played, namely:

41. f5!.

Now the game ended 41...Qxf3?? 42. fxe6+ fxe6 43. Qxf3, winning the black queen and the game.

The most tenacious line is 41...exf5 and then white wins with 42. Qd6+ Kc8 43. Qc5+ and then either 43...Nc6 loses to 44. h7 or 43...Kb8 loses to 44.Qxd5 with white queening in both cases well before black gets his a-pawn near promotion.

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2010, 01:57 PM

1 Zulfic, Fedja SA 1913 [2] 0:1 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2193 [2]
2 Yuan, Yi ACT 2128 [2] 1:0 Dyer, Alastair TAS 1903 [2]
3 Papantoniou, John NSW 1777 [2] 1:0 Schon, Eugene VIC 2107 [2]
4 Setiabudi, Allen ACT 1776 [2] 0:1 Brown, Andrew ACT 1991 [2]
5 Milton, Anthony W SA 1730 [2] 1:0 Dalton, Samuel VIC 1958 [2]
6 Choong, Yita WA 2007 [1.5] 1:0 Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1701 [1.5]
7 Ding, Yilun VIC 1934 [1.5] 1:0 Cameron, Alistair SA 1706 [1.5]
8 Morris, James VIC 2196 [1] 1:0 Bretag, Marcus TAS 1575 [1]
9 Muller, Jonas QLD 1979 [1] 1:0 Lai, Gene VIC 1559 [1]
10 Hendrey, Kevin TAS 1446 [1] 0:1 Grigg, Sam QLD 1925 [1]
11 Chan, Michael VIC 1840 [1] 1:0 Horton, Vincent TAS 1530 [1]
12 Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1721 [1] 1:0 Daenke, Stephen SA 1375 [1]
13 Bishop, Joshua ACT 1333 [1] 0:1 Encel, Benjamin NSW 1719 [1]
14 Smirnov, Anton NSW 1713 [1] 1:0 Bennett, Matthew ACT 1350 [1]
15 Jule, Sebastian QLD 1701 [1] 1:0 Smith, Charlie TAS 1308 [1]
16 Tan, Kevin NSW 1697 [1] 1:0 Thornley, Max VIC 460 [1]
17 Dommersnes, Brett VIC 187 [1] 0:1 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1622 [1]
18 Bretag, Lawrence TAS 1609 [1] 1:0 Taminsyah, Aston WA [1]
19 Hayman, Adam VIC 1364 [0] 1:0 O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1115 [0]
20 Bull-Quijano, Damar VIC 901 [0] .5:.5 Fifield, Andrew TAS 1332 [0]
21 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1311 [0] 0:1 Karumbi, Simon VIC 1083 [0]
22 Briant, James TAS 1306 [0] 1:0 Mackintosh, Kirk VIC [0]
23 O'Shaughnassy, Jack VIC [0] 0:1 Short, Owen TAS 1290 [0]
24 Reid, Mitchell TAS 895 [0] 1:0 BYE

1 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2193 [3] : Papantoniou, John NSW 1777 [3]
2 Brown, Andrew ACT 1991 [3] : Yuan, Yi ACT 2128 [3]
3 Choong, Yita WA 2007 [2.5] : Milton, Anthony W SA 1730 [3]
4 Morris, James VIC 2196 [2] : Ding, Yilun VIC 1934 [2.5]
5 Schon, Eugene VIC 2107 [2] : Setiabudi, Allen ACT 1776 [2]
6 Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1721 [2] : Muller, Jonas QLD 1979 [2]
7 Dalton, Samuel VIC 1958 [2] : Smirnov, Anton NSW 1713 [2]
8 Grigg, Sam QLD 1925 [2] : Jule, Sebastian QLD 1701 [2]
9 Encel, Benjamin NSW 1719 [2] : Zulfic, Fedja SA 1913 [2]
10 Dyer, Alastair TAS 1903 [2] : Tan, Kevin NSW 1697 [2]
11 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1622 [2] : Chan, Michael VIC 1840 [2]
12 Cameron, Alistair SA 1706 [1.5] : Bretag, Lawrence TAS 1609 [2]
13 Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1701 [1.5] : Bretag, Marcus TAS 1575 [1]
14 Lai, Gene VIC 1559 [1] : Smith, Charlie TAS 1308 [1]
15 Horton, Vincent TAS 1530 [1] : Briant, James TAS 1306 [1]
16 Short, Owen TAS 1290 [1] : Hendrey, Kevin TAS 1446 [1]
17 Daenke, Stephen SA 1375 [1] : Reid, Mitchell TAS 895 [1]
18 Karumbi, Simon VIC 1083 [1] : Hayman, Adam VIC 1364 [1]
19 Bennett, Matthew ACT 1350 [1] : Dommersnes, Brett VIC 187 [1]
20 Thornley, Max VIC 460 [1] : Bishop, Joshua ACT 1333 [1]
21 Taminsyah, Aston WA [1] : Bull-Quijano, Damar VIC 901 [.5]
22 Fifield, Andrew TAS 1332 [.5] : Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1311 [0]
23 Mackintosh, Kirk VIC [0] : O'Shaughnassy, Jack VIC [0]
24 O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1115 [0] 1:0 BYE

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Total 1 2 3 4

1 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2193 3 19:W 14:W 11:W 5:
2 Yuan, Yi ACT 2128 3 30:W 15:W 12:W 3:
3 Brown, Andrew ACT 1991 3 33:W 16:W 10:W 2:
4 Milton, Anthony W SA 1730 3 42:W 13:W 9:W 6:
5 Papantoniou, John NSW 1777 3 37:W 26:W 8:W 1:
6 Choong, Yita WA 2007 2.5 32:W 24:D 25:W 4:
7 Ding, Yilun VIC 1934 2.5 36:W 25:D 24:W 13:
8 Schon, Eugene VIC 2107 2 34:W 17:W 5:L 10:
9 Dalton, Samuel VIC 1958 2 41:W 18:W 4:L 17:
10 Setiabudi, Allen ACT 1776 2 39:W 27:W 3:L 8:
11 Zulfic, Fedja SA 1913 2 43:W 28:W 1:L 15:
12 Dyer, Alastair TAS 1903 2 45:W 29:W 2:L 18:
13 Morris, James VIC 2305 2196 2 20:W 4:L 30:W 7:
14 Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1721 2 40:W 1:L 28:W 22:
15 Encel, Benjamin NSW 1719 2 44:W 2:L 29:W 11:
16 Jule, Sebastian QLD 1701 2 46:W 3:L 27:W 23:
17 Smirnov, Anton NSW 1713 2 38:W 8:L 36:W 9:
18 Tan, Kevin NSW 1697 2 35:W 9:L 31:W 12:
19 Bretag, Lawrence TAS 1609 2 1:L 40:W 35:W 24:
20 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1622 2 13:L 37:W 26:W 21:
21 Chan, Michael VIC 1840 2 27:L 39:W 32:W 20:
22 Muller, Jonas QLD 1979 2 28:L 43:W 34:W 14:
23 Grigg, Sam QLD 1925 2 29:L 45:W 33:W 16:
24 Cameron, Alistair SA 1706 1.5 31:W 6:D 7:L 19:
25 Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1701 1.5 47:W 7:D 6:L 30:
26 Dommersnes, Brett VIC 187 1 0:W 5:L 20:L 36:
27 Smith, Charlie TAS 1308 1 21:W 10:L 16:L 34:
28 Daenke, Stephen SA 1375 1 22:W 11:L 14:L 38:
29 Bishop, Joshua ACT 1333 1 23:W 12:L 15:L 31:
30 Bretag, Marcus TAS 1575 1 2:L 42:W 13:L 25:
31 Thornley, Max VIC 460 1 24:L 0:W 18:L 29:
32 Horton, Vincent TAS 1530 1 6:L 44:W 21:L 37:
33 Hendrey, Kevin TAS 1446 1 3:L 46:W 23:L 39:
34 Lai, Gene VIC 1559 1 8:L 38:W 22:L 27:
35 Taminsyah, Aston WA 1 18:L 41:W 19:L 44:
36 Bennett, Matthew ACT 1350 1 7:L 47:W 17:L 26:
37 Briant, James TAS 1306 1 5:L 20:L 46:W 32:
38 Reid, Mitchell TAS 895 1 17:L 34:L 0:W 28:
39 Short, Owen TAS 1290 1 10:L 21:L 47:W 33:
40 Karumbi, Simon VIC 1083 1 14:L 19:L 45:W 41:
41 Hayman, Adam VIC 1364 1 9:L 35:L 42:W 40:
42 O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1115 1 4:L 30:L 41:L 0:W
43 Fifield, Andrew TAS 1332 .5 11:L 22:L 44:D 45:
44 Bull-Quijano, Damar VIC 901 .5 15:L 32:L 43:D 35:
45 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1311 0 12:L 23:L 40:L 43:
46 Mackintosh, Kirk VIC 0 16:L 33:L 37:L 47:
47 O'Shaughnassy, Jack VIC 0 25:L 36:L 39:L 46:

1 Cameron, Lachlan SA 1154 [2] 0:1 Pan, Andrew NSW 1672 [2]
2 Devarajh, Joshua VIC 1151 [2] 0:1 Behar, Joshua NSW 1361 [2]
3 Kethro, Michael ACT 1127 [2] 0:1 Kiripitige, Punala SA 1332 [2]
4 Gray, Callum QLD 1212 [2] 0:1 Dale, Ari VIC 1085 [2]
5 Mason, Stuart ACT 1218 [1.5] 1:0 Nicholls, Stuart SA 1042 [2]
6 Wallmueller, Peter VIC 1103 [1.5] 0:1 Walker, Joshua ACT 953 [1.5]
7 Carter, Mason TAS 1488 [1] 1:0 Ruan, Max VIC [1.5]
8 Jack, Martin QLD 1349 [1] 1:0 Parsons, Sasha VIC 660 [1]
9 Derwent, Ethan ACT 1330 [1] .5:.5 Cannon, David VIC 571 [1]
10 Pyper, Matthew QLD 1048 [1] 1:0 Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 381 [1]
11 Hughes, Harry QLD 981 [1] 1:0 Brown, Oscar TAS [1]
12 Dale, Finley VIC [1] 0:1 Lim, Ethan VIC 972 [1]
13 Yung, Cameron VIC 965 [1] 1:0 Krasnicki, Sebastian TAS [1]
14 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 943 [1] 1:0 Mukhedkar, Varun WA [1]
15 Puccini, Jack VIC [1] 1:0 Briant, Harrison TAS 899 [1]
16 Gong, Noah NSW 780 [1] 1:0 Schroder, Nicolaas VIC [1]
17 Yu, Shuqi TAS [1] 0:1 Gong, William NSW 764 [1]
18 Chen, Bill TAS [.5] 0:1 MacAdam, Alex SA [.5]
19 Gregoric, Peter SA [0] .5:.5 Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 396 [0]
20 Jiang, Robert TAS [0] 1:0 Chrisoulakis, Thomas TAS [0]
21 Dowley, Liam VIC [0] 1:0 Law, Ramin TAS [0]
22 Lawrence, Cormac TAS [0] 1:0 Dowley, Owen VIC [0]
23 Vince, Bradley TAS [0] 1:0 Gillkum, Anurag TAS [0]

1 Pan, Andrew NSW 1672 [3] : Kiripitige, Punala SA 1332 [3]
2 Behar, Joshua NSW 1361 [3] : Dale, Ari VIC 1085 [3]
3 Walker, Joshua ACT 953 [2.5] : Mason, Stuart ACT 1218 [2.5]
4 Nicholls, Stuart SA 1042 [2] : Carter, Mason TAS 1488 [2]
5 Hughes, Harry QLD 981 [2] : Jack, Martin QLD 1349 [2]
6 Lim, Ethan VIC 972 [2] : Gray, Callum QLD 1212 [2]
7 Yung, Cameron VIC 965 [2] : Cameron, Lachlan SA 1154 [2]
8 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 943 [2] : Devarajh, Joshua VIC 1151 [2]
9 Gong, Noah NSW 780 [2] : Kethro, Michael ACT 1127 [2]
10 Gong, William NSW 764 [2] : Pyper, Matthew QLD 1048 [2]
11 Cannon, David VIC 571 [1.5] : Puccini, Jack VIC [2]
12 Ruan, Max VIC [1.5] : Derwent, Ethan ACT 1330 [1.5]
13 MacAdam, Alex SA [1.5] : Wallmueller, Peter VIC 1103 [1.5]
14 Briant, Harrison TAS 899 [1] : Jiang, Robert TAS [1]
15 Parsons, Sasha VIC 660 [1] : Lawrence, Cormac TAS [1]
16 Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 381 [1] : Yu, Shuqi TAS [1]
17 Brown, Oscar TAS [1] : Vince, Bradley TAS [1]
18 Krasnicki, Sebastian TAS [1] : Dale, Finley VIC [1]
19 Mukhedkar, Varun WA [1] : Dowley, Liam VIC [1]
20 Schroder, Nicolaas VIC [1] : Gregoric, Peter SA [.5]
21 Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 396 [.5] : Chen, Bill TAS [.5]
22 Chrisoulakis, Thomas TAS [0] : Gillkum, Anurag TAS [0]
23 Dowley, Owen VIC [0] : Law, Ramin TAS [0]

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Total 1 2 3 4

1 Pan, Andrew NSW 1672 3 18:W 12:W 9:W 3:
2 Behar, Joshua NSW 1361 3 25:W 13:W 7:W 4:
3 Kiripitige, Punala SA 1332 3 31:W 14:W 11:W 1:
4 Dale, Ari VIC 1085 3 41:W 15:W 10:W 2:
5 Mason, Stuart ACT 1218 2.5 40:D 26:W 8:W 6:
6 Walker, Joshua ACT 953 2.5 16:D 40:W 23:W 5:
7 Devarajh, Joshua VIC 1151 2 36:W 27:W 2:L 21:
8 Nicholls, Stuart SA 1042 2 34:W 24:W 5:L 20:
9 Cameron, Lachlan SA 1154 2 32:W 29:W 1:L 19:
10 Gray, Callum QLD 1212 2 45:W 30:W 4:L 17:
11 Kethro, Michael ACT 1127 2 43:W 28:W 3:L 14:
12 Pyper, Matthew QLD 1048 2 37:W 1:L 31:W 18:
13 Hughes, Harry QLD 981 2 38:W 2:L 33:W 15:
14 Gong, Noah NSW 780 2 39:W 3:L 35:W 11:
15 Jack, Martin QLD 1349 2 42:W 4:L 27:W 13:
16 Puccini, Jack VIC 2 6:D 17:D 30:W 25:
17 Lim, Ethan VIC 972 2 26:D 16:D 32:W 10:
18 Gong, William NSW 764 2 1:L 37:W 29:W 12:
19 Yung, Cameron VIC 965 2 28:L 36:W 34:W 9:
20 Carter, Mason TAS 1488 2 27:L 43:W 22:W 8:
21 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 943 2 22:L 44:W 28:W 7:
22 Ruan, Max VIC 1.5 21:W 23:D 20:L 24:
23 Wallmueller, Peter VIC 1103 1.5 44:W 22:D 6:L 26:
24 Derwent, Ethan ACT 1330 1.5 33:W 8:L 25:D 22:
25 Cannon, David VIC 571 1.5 2:L 38:W 24:D 16:
26 MacAdam, Alex SA 1.5 17:D 5:L 40:W 23:
27 Parsons, Sasha VIC 660 1 20:W 7:L 15:L 38:
28 Mukhedkar, Varun WA 1 19:W 11:L 21:L 36:
29 Yu, Shuqi TAS 1 0:W 9:L 18:L 31:
30 Briant, Harrison TAS 899 1 35:W 10:L 16:L 37:
31 Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 381 1 3:L 39:W 12:L 29:
32 Dale, Finley VIC 1 9:L 42:W 17:L 34:
33 Brown, Oscar TAS 1 24:L 41:W 13:L 39:
34 Krasnicki, Sebastian TAS 1 8:L 45:W 19:L 32:
35 Schroder, Nicolaas VIC 1 30:L 46:W 14:L 41:
36 Dowley, Liam VIC 1 7:L 19:L 46:W 28:
37 Jiang, Robert TAS 1 12:L 18:L 45:W 30:
38 Lawrence, Cormac TAS 1 13:L 25:L 43:W 27:
39 Vince, Bradley TAS 1 14:L 31:L 44:W 33:
40 Chen, Bill TAS .5 5:D 6:L 26:L 42:
41 Gregoric, Peter SA .5 4:L 33:L 42:D 35:
42 Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 396 .5 15:L 32:L 41:D 40:
43 Dowley, Owen VIC 0 11:L 20:L 38:L 46:
44 Gillkum, Anurag TAS 0 23:L 21:L 39:L 45:
45 Chrisoulakis, Thomas TAS 0 10:L 34:L 37:L 44:
46 Law, Ramin TAS 0 0: 35:L 36:L 43:

Adamski
16-01-2010, 02:19 PM
After only 3 rounds, Marcus Bretag has had to play the top 2 seeds! Just the way the draw crumbles...

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Papantoniou - Schon round 3

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. cxd5 cxd5 4. Nc3 Nf6 5. Bf4 Qb6 6. Rc1 Nc6 7. e3 Qxb2 8.
Bd3 Nb4 9. Nge2 Nxd3+ 10. Qxd3 a6 11. O-O Qa3 12. Rb1 e6 13. Be5 Qa5 14. e4
dxe4 15. Qg3 Qd8 16. Na4 Nd7 17. Rfd1 Qe7 18. Nb6 Nxb6 19. Rxb6 f6 20. Bd6 Qd8
21. Bc7 Qd7 22. Rc1 Qf7 23. Bb8 Qd7 24. Bc7 g6 25. Bf4 Be7 26. Rc7 Qa4 27. h3
Qd1+ 28. Kh2 Qxe2 29. Bd6 Bd8 30. Qc3 Qd3 31. Qc5 Bxc7 32. Qxc7 Bd7 33. Bc5 Rc8
34. Rxe6+ 1-0

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2010, 04:35 PM
PGN Round 3 attached.

Sorry for not getting these up faster; it got very humid here and that does even more damage to my databasing skills than it does to my chess.

Maybe next time we host this we'll do it up Liawenee way in May or something. :lol:

Jim_Flood
16-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Maybe next time we host this we'll do it up Liawenee way in May or something. :lol:

And combine it with a skating event. Hey, there is chess/boxing, so why not? Gorgeous part of the world.

Garvinator
16-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Maybe next time we host this we'll do it up Liawenee way in May or something. :lol:Queenstown Tasmania would be better ;)

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Cheng-Papantoniou pos with black (I think) to move as of 2 mins ago

7Q/8/3q1B1p/2p2b1k/4pP2/4P1K1/8/8 w - - 0 1

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Queenstown Tasmania would be better ;)

We run interschools in Rosebery sometimes which is a bit like a mini-Queenstown. Also Strahan which is nearby but very different culturally (latte oasis in the rainforest basically).

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2010, 06:03 PM

1 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2193 [3] .5:.5 Papantoniou, John NSW 1777 [3]
2 Brown, Andrew ACT 1991 [3] 1:0 Yuan, Yi ACT 2128 [3]
3 Choong, Yita WA 2007 [2.5] .5:.5 Milton, Anthony W SA 1730 [3]
4 Morris, James VIC 2196 [2] 1:0 Ding, Yilun VIC 1934 [2.5]
5 Schon, Eugene VIC 2107 [2] .5:.5 Setiabudi, Allen ACT 1776 [2]
6 Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1721 [2] 0:1 Muller, Jonas QLD 1979 [2]
7 Dalton, Samuel VIC 1958 [2] 1:0 Smirnov, Anton NSW 1713 [2]
8 Grigg, Sam QLD 1925 [2] 1:0 Jule, Sebastian QLD 1701 [2]
9 Encel, Benjamin NSW 1719 [2] 0:1 Zulfic, Fedja SA 1913 [2]
10 Dyer, Alastair TAS 1903 [2] 1:0 Tan, Kevin NSW 1697 [2]
11 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1622 [2] 1:0 Chan, Michael VIC 1840 [2]
12 Cameron, Alistair SA 1706 [1.5] 1:0 Bretag, Lawrence TAS 1609 [2]
13 Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1701 [1.5] 1:0 Bretag, Marcus TAS 1575 [1]
14 Lai, Gene VIC 1559 [1] 1:0 Smith, Charlie TAS 1308 [1]
15 Horton, Vincent TAS 1530 [1] .5:.5 Briant, James TAS 1306 [1]
16 Short, Owen TAS 1290 [1] 0:1 Hendrey, Kevin TAS 1446 [1]
17 Daenke, Stephen SA 1375 [1] 1:0 Reid, Mitchell TAS 895 [1]
18 Karumbi, Simon VIC 1083 [1] 0:1 Hayman, Adam VIC 1364 [1]
19 Bennett, Matthew ACT 1350 [1] 1:0 Dommersnes, Brett VIC 187 [1]
20 Thornley, Max VIC 460 [1] 0:1 Bishop, Joshua ACT 1333 [1]
21 Taminsyah, Aston WA [1] 1:0 Bull-Quijano, Damar VIC 901 [.5]
22 Fifield, Andrew TAS 1332 [.5] .5:.5 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1311 [0]
23 Mackintosh, Kirk VIC [0] 1:0 O'Shaughnassy, Jack VIC [0]
24 O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1115 [0] 1:0 BYE

1 Papantoniou, John NSW 1777 [3.5] : Brown, Andrew ACT 1991 [4]
2 Milton, Anthony W SA 1730 [3.5] : Cheng, Bobby VIC 2193 [3.5]
3 Dalton, Samuel VIC 1958 [3] : Morris, James VIC 2196 [3]
4 Yuan, Yi ACT 2128 [3] : Grigg, Sam QLD 1925 [3]
5 Zulfic, Fedja SA 1913 [3] : Choong, Yita WA 2007 [3]
6 Muller, Jonas QLD 1979 [3] : Dyer, Alastair TAS 1903 [3]
7 Ding, Yilun VIC 1934 [2.5] : Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1622 [3]
8 Cameron, Alistair SA 1706 [2.5] : Schon, Eugene VIC 2107 [2.5]
9 Setiabudi, Allen ACT 1776 [2.5] : Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1701 [2.5]
10 Chan, Michael VIC 1840 [2] : Lai, Gene VIC 1559 [2]
11 Hendrey, Kevin TAS 1446 [2] : Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1721 [2]
12 Hayman, Adam VIC 1364 [2] : Encel, Benjamin NSW 1719 [2]
13 Smirnov, Anton NSW 1713 [2] : Daenke, Stephen SA 1375 [2]
14 Jule, Sebastian QLD 1701 [2] : Taminsyah, Aston WA [2]
15 Tan, Kevin NSW 1697 [2] : Bennett, Matthew ACT 1350 [2]
16 Bretag, Lawrence TAS 1609 [2] : Bishop, Joshua ACT 1333 [2]
17 Smith, Charlie TAS 1308 [1] : Horton, Vincent TAS 1530 [1.5]
18 Briant, James TAS 1306 [1.5] : Fifield, Andrew TAS 1332 [1]
19 Bretag, Marcus TAS 1575 [1] : Thornley, Max VIC 460 [1]
20 Reid, Mitchell TAS 895 [1] : Short, Owen TAS 1290 [1]
21 O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1115 [1] : Mackintosh, Kirk VIC [1]
22 Dommersnes, Brett VIC 187 [1] : Karumbi, Simon VIC 1083 [1]
23 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1311 [.5] : Bull-Quijano, Damar VIC 901 [.5]
24 O'Shaughnassy, Jack VIC [0] 1:0 BYE

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5

1 Brown, Andrew ACT 1991 4 28:W 20:W 16:W 5:W 4:
2 Cheng, Bobby VIC 2193 3.5 24:W 19:W 8:W 4:D 3:
3 Milton, Anthony W SA 1730 3.5 43:W 10:W 7:W 6:D 2:
4 Papantoniou, John NSW 1777 3.5 34:W 35:W 15:W 2:D 1:
5 Yuan, Yi ACT 2128 3 38:W 21:W 9:W 1:L 12:
6 Choong, Yita WA 2007 3 33:W 17:D 18:W 3:D 8:
7 Dalton, Samuel VIC 1958 3 32:W 22:W 3:L 23:W 10:
8 Zulfic, Fedja SA 1913 3 42:W 25:W 2:L 21:W 6:
9 Dyer, Alastair TAS 1903 3 47:W 26:W 5:L 22:W 11:
10 Morris, James VIC 2305 2196 3 13:W 3:L 38:W 14:W 7:
11 Muller, Jonas QLD 1979 3 25:L 42:W 29:W 19:W 9:
12 Grigg, Sam QLD 1925 3 26:L 47:W 28:W 20:W 5:
13 Deen-Cowell, Nicholas NSW 1622 3 10:L 34:W 35:W 27:W 14:
14 Ding, Yilun VIC 1934 2.5 31:W 18:D 17:W 10:L 13:
15 Schon, Eugene VIC 2107 2.5 29:W 23:W 4:L 16:D 17:
16 Setiabudi, Allen ACT 1776 2.5 40:W 36:W 1:L 15:D 18:
17 Cameron, Alistair SA 1706 2.5 37:W 6:D 14:L 24:W 15:
18 Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1701 2.5 45:W 14:D 6:L 38:W 16:
19 Chen, Peng Yu NSW 1721 2 41:W 2:L 25:W 11:L 28:
20 Jule, Sebastian QLD 1701 2 44:W 1:L 36:W 12:L 30:
21 Encel, Benjamin NSW 1719 2 46:W 5:L 26:W 8:L 32:
22 Tan, Kevin NSW 1697 2 30:W 7:L 37:W 9:L 31:
23 Smirnov, Anton NSW 1713 2 39:W 15:L 31:W 7:L 25:
24 Bretag, Lawrence TAS 1609 2 2:L 41:W 30:W 17:L 26:
25 Daenke, Stephen SA 1375 2 11:W 8:L 19:L 39:W 23:
26 Bishop, Joshua ACT 1333 2 12:W 9:L 21:L 37:W 24:
27 Chan, Michael VIC 1840 2 36:L 40:W 33:W 13:L 29:
28 Hendrey, Kevin TAS 1446 2 1:L 44:W 12:L 40:W 19:
29 Lai, Gene VIC 1559 2 15:L 39:W 11:L 36:W 27:
30 Taminsyah, Aston WA 2 22:L 32:W 24:L 46:W 20:
31 Bennett, Matthew ACT 1350 2 14:L 45:W 23:L 35:W 22:
32 Hayman, Adam VIC 1364 2 7:L 30:L 43:W 41:W 21:
33 Horton, Vincent TAS 1530 1.5 6:L 46:W 27:L 34:D 36:
34 Briant, James TAS 1306 1.5 4:L 13:L 44:W 33:D 42:
35 Dommersnes, Brett VIC 187 1 0:W 4:L 13:L 31:L 41:
36 Smith, Charlie TAS 1308 1 27:W 16:L 20:L 29:L 33:
37 Thornley, Max VIC 460 1 17:L 0:W 22:L 26:L 38:
38 Bretag, Marcus TAS 1575 1 5:L 43:W 10:L 18:L 37:
39 Reid, Mitchell TAS 895 1 23:L 29:L 0:W 25:L 40:
40 Short, Owen TAS 1290 1 16:L 27:L 45:W 28:L 39:
41 Karumbi, Simon VIC 1083 1 19:L 24:L 47:W 32:L 35:
42 Fifield, Andrew TAS 1332 1 8:L 11:L 46:D 47:D 34:
43 O'Rourke, Ryan (1996) NSW 1115 1 3:L 38:L 32:L 0:W 44:
44 Mackintosh, Kirk VIC 1 20:L 28:L 34:L 45:W 43:
45 O'Shaughnassy, Jack VIC 1 18:L 31:L 40:L 44:L 0:W
46 Bull-Quijano, Damar VIC 901 .5 21:L 33:L 42:D 30:L 47:
47 Hibberd, Nathan VIC 1311 .5 9:L 12:L 41:L 42:D 46:

1 Pan, Andrew NSW 1672 [3] 1:0 Kiripitige, Punala SA 1332 [3]
2 Behar, Joshua NSW 1361 [3] 1:0 Dale, Ari VIC 1085 [3]
3 Walker, Joshua ACT 953 [2.5] 0:1 Mason, Stuart ACT 1218 [2.5]
4 Nicholls, Stuart SA 1042 [2] .5:.5 Carter, Mason TAS 1488 [2]
5 Hughes, Harry QLD 981 [2] 0:1 Jack, Martin QLD 1349 [2]
6 Lim, Ethan VIC 972 [2] 0:1 Gray, Callum QLD 1212 [2]
7 Yung, Cameron VIC 965 [2] 0:1 Cameron, Lachlan SA 1154 [2]
8 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 943 [2] 1:0 Devarajh, Joshua VIC 1151 [2]
9 Gong, Noah NSW 780 [2] 0:1 Kethro, Michael ACT 1127 [2]
10 Gong, William NSW 764 [2] 0:1 Pyper, Matthew QLD 1048 [2]
11 Cannon, David VIC 571 [1.5] 1:0 Puccini, Jack VIC [2]
12 Ruan, Max VIC [1.5] 0:1 Derwent, Ethan ACT 1330 [1.5]
13 MacAdam, Alex SA [1.5] 0:1 Wallmueller, Peter VIC 1103 [1.5]
14 Briant, Harrison TAS 899 [1] 1:0 Jiang, Robert TAS [1]
15 Parsons, Sasha VIC 660 [1] 1:0 Lawrence, Cormac TAS [1]
16 Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 381 [1] 1:0 Yu, Shuqi TAS [1]
17 Brown, Oscar TAS [1] 1:0 Vince, Bradley TAS [1]
18 Krasnicki, Sebastian TAS [1] 0:1 Dale, Finley VIC [1]
19 Mukhedkar, Varun WA [1] 1:0 Dowley, Liam VIC [1]
20 Schroder, Nicolaas VIC [1] 0:1 Gregoric, Peter SA [.5]
21 Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 396 [.5] 1:0 Chen, Bill TAS [.5]
22 Chrisoulakis, Thomas TAS [0] 0:1 Gillkum, Anurag TAS [0]
23 Dowley, Owen VIC [0] .5:.5 Law, Raman TAS [0]

1 Behar, Joshua NSW 1361 [4] : Pan, Andrew NSW 1672 [4]
2 Jack, Martin QLD 1349 [3] : Mason, Stuart ACT 1218 [3.5]
3 Kiripitige, Punala SA 1332 [3] : Pyper, Matthew QLD 1048 [3]
4 Gray, Callum QLD 1212 [3] : Kethro, Michael ACT 1127 [3]
5 Cameron, Lachlan SA 1154 [3] : Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 943 [3]
6 Dale, Ari VIC 1085 [3] : Nicholls, Stuart SA 1042 [2.5]
7 Carter, Mason TAS 1488 [2.5] : Cannon, David VIC 571 [2.5]
8 Derwent, Ethan ACT 1330 [2.5] : Walker, Joshua ACT 953 [2.5]
9 Wallmueller, Peter VIC 1103 [2.5] : Hughes, Harry QLD 981 [2]
10 Devarajh, Joshua VIC 1151 [2] : Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 381 [2]
11 Parsons, Sasha VIC 660 [2] : Lim, Ethan VIC 972 [2]
12 Brown, Oscar TAS [2] : Yung, Cameron VIC 965 [2]
13 Dale, Finley VIC [2] : Briant, Harrison TAS 899 [2]
14 Mukhedkar, Varun WA [2] : Gong, Noah NSW 780 [2]
15 Puccini, Jack VIC [2] : Gong, William NSW 764 [2]
16 MacAdam, Alex SA [1.5] : Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 396 [1.5]
17 Gregoric, Peter SA [1.5] : Ruan, Max VIC [1.5]
18 Dowley, Liam VIC [1] : Lawrence, Cormac TAS [1]
19 Gillkum, Anurag TAS [1] : Schroder, Nicolaas VIC [1]
20 Jiang, Robert TAS [1] : Vince, Bradley TAS [1]
21 Yu, Shuqi TAS [1] : Krasnicki, Sebastian TAS [1]
22 Chen, Bill TAS [.5] : Dowley, Owen VIC [.5]
23 Law, Raman TAS [.5] : Chrisoulakis, Thomas TAS [0]

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Total 1 2 3 4 5

1 Pan, Andrew NSW 1672 4 24:W 10:W 6:W 4:W 2:
2 Behar, Joshua NSW 1361 4 17:W 19:W 18:W 5:W 1:
3 Mason, Stuart ACT 1218 3.5 43:D 32:W 12:W 13:W 9:
4 Kiripitige, Punala SA 1332 3 28:W 20:W 7:W 1:L 10:
5 Dale, Ari VIC 1085 3 33:W 9:W 8:W 2:L 12:
6 Cameron, Lachlan SA 1154 3 29:W 35:W 1:L 26:W 11:
7 Kethro, Michael ACT 1127 3 44:W 23:W 4:L 20:W 8:
8 Gray, Callum QLD 1212 3 46:W 27:W 5:L 22:W 7:
9 Jack, Martin QLD 1349 3 34:W 5:L 25:W 19:W 3:
10 Pyper, Matthew QLD 1048 3 38:W 1:L 28:W 24:W 4:
11 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 943 3 31:L 42:W 23:W 18:W 6:
12 Nicholls, Stuart SA 1042 2.5 36:W 15:W 3:L 16:D 5:
13 Walker, Joshua ACT 953 2.5 21:D 43:W 14:W 3:L 15:
14 Wallmueller, Peter VIC 1103 2.5 42:W 31:D 13:L 32:W 19:
15 Derwent, Ethan ACT 1330 2.5 30:W 12:L 17:D 31:W 13:
16 Carter, Mason TAS 1488 2.5 25:L 44:W 31:W 12:D 17:
17 Cannon, David VIC 571 2.5 2:L 39:W 15:D 21:W 16:
18 Devarajh, Joshua VIC 1151 2 41:W 25:W 2:L 11:L 28:
19 Hughes, Harry QLD 981 2 39:W 2:L 30:W 9:L 14:
20 Gong, Noah NSW 780 2 40:W 4:L 37:W 7:L 23:
21 Puccini, Jack VIC 2 13:D 22:D 27:W 17:L 24:
22 Lim, Ethan VIC 972 2 32:D 21:D 29:W 8:L 25:
23 Mukhedkar, Varun WA 2 26:W 7:L 11:L 41:W 20:
24 Gong, William NSW 764 2 1:L 38:W 35:W 10:L 21:
25 Parsons, Sasha VIC 660 2 16:W 18:L 9:L 39:W 22:
26 Yung, Cameron VIC 965 2 23:L 41:W 36:W 6:L 30:
27 Briant, Harrison TAS 899 2 37:W 8:L 21:L 38:W 29:
28 Willathgamuwa, Rowan NSW 381 2 4:L 40:W 10:L 35:W 18:
29 Dale, Finley VIC 2 6:L 34:W 22:L 36:W 27:
30 Brown, Oscar TAS 2 15:L 33:W 19:L 40:W 26:
31 Ruan, Max VIC 1.5 11:W 14:D 16:L 15:L 33:
32 MacAdam, Alex SA 1.5 22:D 3:L 43:W 14:L 34:
33 Gregoric, Peter SA 1.5 5:L 30:L 34:D 37:W 31:
34 Willathgamuwa, Kevin NSW 396 1.5 9:L 29:L 33:D 43:W 32:
35 Yu, Shuqi TAS 1 0:W 6:L 24:L 28:L 36:
36 Krasnicki, Sebastian TAS 1 12:L 46:W 26:L 29:L 35:
37 Schroder, Nicolaas VIC 1 27:L 45:W 20:L 33:L 42:
38 Jiang, Robert TAS 1 10:L 24:L 46:W 27:L 40:
39 Lawrence, Cormac TAS 1 19:L 17:L 44:W 25:L 41:
40 Vince, Bradley TAS 1 20:L 28:L 42:W 30:L 38:
41 Dowley, Liam VIC 1 18:L 26:L 45:W 23:L 39:
42 Gillkum, Anurag TAS 1 14:L 11:L 40:L 46:W 37:
43 Chen, Bill TAS .5 3:D 13:L 32:L 34:L 44:
44 Dowley, Owen VIC .5 7:L 16:L 39:L 45:D 43:
45 Law, Raman TAS .5 0: 37:L 41:L 44:D 46:
46 Chrisoulakis, Thomas TAS 0 8:L 36:L 38:L 42:L 45:

Law - Chrisoulakis may be played tomorrow starting 10 am if Law can be contacted. Chrisoulakis unavailable for scheduled round 5.

Adamski
16-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Well done John P - a draw with the World U 12 Champion.

BearDrinkingBeer
16-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Well done John P - a draw with the World U 12 Champion.
And of course, Andrew Brown is doing very well!

Alana
16-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Yes go Perpie! I hope he can improve on Sydney!

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Here's John's draw with Bobby Cheng. I haven't played through it myself yet but I'm told it's a very good game.

Cheng,Bobby - Papantoniou,John [E11]

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 Bb4+ 4.Nbd2 b6 5.a3 Bxd2+ 6.Qxd2 Bb7 7.b4 0-0 8.Bb2 d6 9.e3 Nbd7 10.Be2 Ne4 11.Qc2 f5 12.0-0 Qe7 13.Rfd1 Ndf6 14.Nd2 Nxd2 15.Qxd2 Ne4 16.Qc2 Rf6 17.Bf3 Rh6 18.g3 Rf8 19.d5 e5 20.Bxe4 fxe4 21.Qxe4 Bc8 22.f4 Bf5 23.Qf3 e4 24.Qf1 Bh3 25.Qe1 Bg4 26.Rdc1 Rf5 27.Rc2 Rh3 28.Ra2 Rfh5 29.Ba1 Qd7 30.a4 Bf3 31.a5 h6 32.axb6 axb6 33.Ra8+ Kh7 34.Ra7 Qc8 35.c5 bxc5 36.bxc5 Qg4 37.Rxc7 Rxh2 38.Rxh2 Rxh2 39.Rxg7+ Qxg7 40.Kxh2 Qf7 41.g4 dxc5 42.Qc3 Bxg4 43.d6 Bf5 44.Qh8+ Kg6 45.Kg3 Kh5 46.Kf2 Qd5 47.Kg3 Qf7 48.Bf6 Qg6+ 49.Bg5 Qxd6 50.Bf6 Qe6 -

Mischa
16-01-2010, 08:42 PM
YES WELL DONE...
I have to admit I didn't realise Andrew Brown was still a junior.

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2010, 09:37 PM
PGN for round 4 is attached. And this time I got the attachment process right first try!

Bereaved
16-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Hi Kevin,

Was Black's 4th move on Board 4.21 a touch move incident? Just seems such an inconceivable move otherwise

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Tony Dowden
17-01-2010, 08:13 AM
4...Ke7 could hardly be anything else

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Don't know for sure; hadn't noticed it before, certainly does look like he meant to touch his queen and picked up his king by mistake.

Tony Dowden
17-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Further evidence it was essentially a finger-slip is that the next move he played was 5...Ke8 - poor lad. [No, he didn't castle later ;) ]

Its purely conjecture, but I wonder if he may even have muttered (or mouthed) the schoolboy version of "j'adoube" or "I adjust" but then felt bullied into moving the king by a "touch move" demand from his opponent.

Jesse Jager
17-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Don't know for sure; hadn't noticed it before, certainly does look like he meant to touch his queen and picked up his king by mistake.

I thought the touch move rule only applies if it was intended to move a piece.

Alexrules01
17-01-2010, 12:44 PM

If you don't say "I adjust" or how you like to say it, then you have to move it, regardless.

Jesse Jager
17-01-2010, 12:50 PM
If you don't say "I adjust" or how you like to say it, then you have to move it, regardless.

Presumably this doesn't apply if one accidentally touches a piece, such as knocking it over.

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Indeed but it is difficult to establish intention when a player firmly picks up a piece. I think in this case if the player put their hand up it would be accepted as an accident. Unless it was deliberate of course. :D

Rapid well into rd 3.

On 2/2 in the Open are Choong, Chen, Tan, Cameron, Morris, Papantoniou, Emma Guo and Yi Yuan. Latter two had an eight move (or so) round 3 draw.

2/2 in the U12 are Anton Smirnov, Andrew Pan, Mason Carter, Peter Gregoric, Ari Dale, Punala Kiripitige, Callum Gray, Martin Jack, Ethan Lim, Grace Alvares

As noted in the shoutbox we had a bit of a change-management issue with the Girls events; we intended holding the Girls rapid as a single combined division (along the line of thought that most girls prefer to play with the girls, which they do) and were not aware of the strength of tradition that the events are invariably merged. We had certainly announced that we intended holding a separate Girls rapid tournament during at least one day of pre-game announcements but hadn't done enough to raise awareness of our intentions and check which girls preferred to play in an open event. We had also cleared the idea with the AusJCL Prez whose concern was really whether we would have enough entries to make the Girls worth running as a separate tournament. Since we already had 18 and expected more we seemed to have that covered.

However almost as soon as we started we had five of the 20 girls (the strongest ones) switching to the Open only for it to then be realised that the consequence of this would be that they would not be eligible for the girls titles that would then be awarded in a depleted field. Once they realised the problem four of them intended to withdraw.

Under these circumstances we decided to merge the 15 girls who had played round 1 in the intended girls tournament into the U18 and U12 tournaments and carry the score from their first game over to the new tournament. Best we could do in a very tricky situation and we will make sure nothing remotely resembling this happens in the Lightning. :eek:

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2010, 03:34 PM
U18 after round 3 leaders are Morris, Cameron, Cheng on 3, Yilun Ding and DGMs Yi Yuan and Emma Guo on 2.5. Round 4 Morris defeated Cameron, Cheng-Yuan still going, Guo and Ding had a draw.

U12s after round 3 leaders are A Dale, Smirnov, Jack, Pan and Gray on 3. Ari Dale defeated Smirnov, Callum Gray drew Ethan Lim, Jack and Pan still going.

Going off air for a while as Ross needs the internet thingy to try to set up spiffy networking stuff that will allow players to upload their games directly to tha internetz

I think that we will finish a bit before 7 depending upon title playoffs.

Alexrules01
17-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Presumably this doesn't apply if one accidentally touches a piece, such as knocking it over.

No it shouldn't, but there are people who would try and enforce it :)