PDA

View Full Version : MCC Allegro On Again (2009)

Pages : [1] 2

ER
12-02-2009, 01:58 PM
As announced by the Club's President Grant Szuveges earlier today

Melbourne Chess Club's ALLEGRO IS BACK!!!
Any questions, call Grant on 0401-925-075

As Grant announces building fund has made $930 so far (in less than 2 weeks) - almost at the first grand!!!

Inside information: Most possible starting date for the Allegro is Sat Feb 21st

COMPLETE ANNOUNCEMENT TO FOLLOW SOON

MichaelBaron
12-02-2009, 10:46 PM
I am likely to play in the allegro!

Paul Cavezza
13-02-2009, 12:54 AM
as am i!

ER
13-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Pablito, como estas? Thanks for the lift the other night! You are invited to my place any time for a drink or chat or game(s)!!!
:)

ER
14-02-2009, 12:33 AM
As we promised in previous thread an official announcement about the return of this popular feature of the club was going to be posted here, Presto!!!

MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB
ALLEGRO IS BACK!!!

A recent survey filled out by the players in our recent tournaments showed that many of our players wanted to see the return of the traditional Saturday afternoon allegro tournament. The committee has listened to you and allegro will resume on February 21st!

WHEN? Saturday February 21st at 2pm.

WHERE? Melbourne Chess Club. 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy 3041. Telephone: 9416-3149

FORMAT? 7 round swiss. 15 minutes per player per game.

PRIZES? An anonymous sponsor has guaranteed $50 for first prize. Other prizes will come out of the entry fees.

ENTRY FEES? Entry fee is $5 for Melbourne Chess Club members and $10 for non-members. Free entry to GMs and IMs.

We intend to make the allegro a regular event, so please support it and play. For more information or any questions, please call Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or the clubrooms on 9416-3149.

Paul Cavezza
14-02-2009, 02:01 AM
great news!

Pablito, como estas? Thanks for the lift the other night! You are invited to my place any time for a drink or chat or game(s)!!!
:)

hey tasso, no worries for the lift! sounds good- see you monday!

Paul Cavezza
20-02-2009, 11:55 AM
who is playing tomorrow?

MichaelBaron
20-02-2009, 10:54 PM
who is playing tomorrow?

Myself, Rujevic, Kolak and many others. Will be a good event!

Paul Cavezza
21-02-2009, 12:46 AM
bah! prob can't play tomorrow something's come up- but will play the next one!

MichaelBaron
21-02-2009, 09:31 AM
bah! prob can't play tomorrow something's come up- but will play the next one!

boo

MichaelBaron
21-02-2009, 07:50 PM
The allegro was great fun as it was played in very nice and friendly atmosphere. See you all next week!:owned:

D Dragicevic
21-02-2009, 10:59 PM
so what were the results...

MichaelBaron
22-02-2009, 09:15 AM
so what were the results...

1. Baron 7/7 2-3 Raine, Toshevsky 5/7

IM-norm holder Domagoi was missed by all the participants

ER
26-02-2009, 12:30 AM
There has been no official response to Michael's innocuous yet obvious "gauntlet trowing down" toward Domagoj in the above post.
Will the Noble Park Headquarters make an announcement on the matter?
Will they leave their decision announcement to the last moment thus exploiting the surprise element?

Find out at the MCC

The Allegro is on!

WHEN? Saturday February 28th at 2pm.

WHERE? Melbourne Chess Club. 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy 3041. Telephone: 9416-3149

PRIZES? $50 for first prize. Other prizes will come out of the entry fees.

ENTRY FEES? Entry fee is $5 for Melbourne Chess Club members and $10 for non-members. Free entry to GMs and IMs.

We intend to make the allegro a regular event, so please support it and play. For more information or any questions, please call Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or the clubrooms on 9416-3149.

Come play and enjoy a lovely afternoon at the Club's premises

Metro
26-02-2009, 01:00 AM
There has been no official response to Michael's innocuous yet obvious "gauntlet throwing down" toward Domagoj in the above post.
Will they leave their decision announcement to the last moment thus exploiting the surprise element?

How about a NP v MCC Allegro match?:clap:

ER
26-02-2009, 02:28 AM
Interesting idea, this and other allegro "interclub" challenge matches could be part of interested chess club committees agenda!

Paul Cavezza
26-02-2009, 10:29 PM
how late did the allegro go last week/does it normally go?

MichaelBaron
27-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Till 6 pm

ER
28-02-2009, 06:28 PM
A substantial inrease of participants led to a number of intense encounters earlier in the afternoon during the MCC Allegro - the second in the 2009 series.
Eleven players in two different divisions fought a (reduced to 10 minutes for each player time control) round robin event for the honours but it was Michael Baron who for the second week stole the limelight and with a solid performance of 9.5 out of possible 10 points won the first prize of $40.
Second in category one was Carl Gorka ($20) and third in a comeback which we all hope will have a continuation was Chris Kolak winning $17!
In the other group Stephen Wertheim and David Stimson shared the spoils with 4 pts and $17 each!
STOP PRESS - EXCELLENT NEWS
An anonymous sponsor, donated $200 for the Allegro which means that the prize money will be enhanced in next week's tournament.
Further information later during the week!

ER
01-03-2009, 09:12 PM
This is a further announcement , sent to me by the Club's President Grant Szuveges concerning the Allegro and further sponsorship for the MCC

The allegro is firing at the moment!!! We have a sponsor to sponsor the next 3 weeks (after today) for $40 first prize for each of the next 3 weeks..... Last Saturday's tournament attracted 11 players. Results as follows:

9.5 Baron
9 Gorka
8.5 Kolak
6 Raine
5 Kara
4.5 Tosevski
4 Stimson, Wertheim
2.5 Puccini
2 Cavezza
0 Warren

Tournament was a big success and was played as an 11 player round robin with 10 minutes each player on the clock! Baron wins for the second week in a row!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Thankyou to Carl Gorka for donating his prize money to the Melbourne Chess Club building fund!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Secondly, we have some new prizes for the raffle!!! They include:
1. Souvlaki King voucher for a souvlaki and drink
2. Hand carved Vietnamese wooden chess set
3. A very warm traditional Nepali shawl donated by Grant Szuveges
4. Book vouchers for Melbourne Chess Club bookshop (value to be arranged)
5. Chocolates (details to be arranged)
More prizes will be added but we are not sure about the details yet...
Special thanks to our sponsors "Souvlaki King", and "The Wick On Brunswick".
If anyone out there has a business which would like to donate a prize to our raffle or organise a similar sponsorship deal, please do not hesitate to contact Grant!!!
See you all next week for allegro! Some players may be at Ballarat but allegro will still be on, so if you don't go to Ballarat, come and play allegro instead!!!

Grant

Paul Cavezza
02-03-2009, 12:25 AM
that's cavezza!

usually works with italian.. adding o.. still.. i prefer a.

also i scored 8.5.

allegro was great and well run, fun day all round. a good mixed field, see you there next week.

ER
02-03-2009, 04:49 AM
Apologies Pablito!
I corrected your name and pts (twice for the time being!)
I just published the original announcement as it was sent by Grant.
Cheers and congratulations for your (could have been) :lol: excellent performance! Try harder next time! (during the tournament, not after!!! :P

MichaelBaron
02-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Yep the allegro was great..and participation numbers keep growing :clap:

I did not realise Paul scored 8.5 :clap:

Paul Cavezza
02-03-2009, 11:01 AM
haha... a famous cavezza result!

(yeah... i really got 2... was joking there...)

D Dragicevic
02-03-2009, 11:23 AM
There has been no official response to Michael's innocuous yet obvious "gauntlet trowing down" toward Domagoj in the above post.

Find out at the MCC

The Allegro is on!

WHEN? Saturday February 28th at 2pm.

PRIZES? $50 for first prize. Other prizes will come out of the entry fees.

Come play and enjoy a lovely afternoon at the Club's premises

there is no surprise element. at the moment I am unable to play on Saturdays, that's all there is to that. but as you all know, I do like playing allegros so as soon as I am able to come and play, I will. But it's good to see the allegro being back.

ER
02-03-2009, 12:47 PM
there is no surprise element. at the moment I am unable to play on Saturdays, that's all there is to that. but as you all know, I do like playing allegros so as soon as I am able to come and play, I will. But it's good to see the allegro being back.

Thanks for the support Domagoj, you are always welcome! Untill that happens, I am afraid Michael's successes will go on and on an on (...n) ;)

ER
02-03-2009, 12:50 PM
haha... a famous cavezza result!

(yeah... i really got 2... was joking there...)

Hi Pablito, nice joke, although I have to suffer for it! :P :wall: :wall: :wall:

MichaelBaron
07-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Big allegro is coming up today! :owned:

ER
07-03-2009, 08:35 AM
that's better! ;)

MichaelBaron
08-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Results: 1. Baron 6.5/7 2. Jaeger 5.5/7 3. Colak 5/7 The highlight of the even was little boy (newcome to chess) drawing competently with Chris Kolak. :clap:

On completion of the tournament a 2 0 match has taken place between Kolak and Baron. The result is not to be realised (due to Chris's request)...but I found a lot of coins (as well as an $10 paper note) in my pocket this morning. I wonder where they come from :doh:

Paul Cavezza
08-03-2009, 11:27 AM
The match was arbited unsuccessfully by 5 surrounding players with baron shouting- stop knocking the pieces, where are the arbiters, your play is badly educating the children! for all 14 matches

MichaelBaron
09-03-2009, 01:10 PM
The match was arbited unsuccessfully by 5 surrounding players with baron shouting- stop knocking the pieces, where are the arbiters, your play is badly educating the children! for all 14 matches

LOL, it actually worked..he did stop nocking of the piecdes eventually. Nor did he swear in front of kids.

ER
14-03-2009, 12:36 AM
This is the MCC President Grant Szuveges official response to suggestions made in another thread that the MCC Allegro should be moved to Sunday so players, mainly those participating in Noble Park Chess Club events, can play as well:

"I have discussed the allegro with many many people recently, and of course the response is positive. However we will not be changing the day from Saturday to Sunday. There are many reasons for the Saturday timeslot, and the following are the main ones.

1. Our members wanted allegro back, and most of them wanted allegro to be held on Saturday afternoons. I understand that it clashes with events at some other clubs, but our first priority is to our members - their memberships pay the bills for our club. Obviously the clashes are not ideal, but having choices as to which thing one plays in is a nice problem to have... Sunday clashes with Box Hill anyway...

2. Traditionally, MCC allegros have been held on Saturday afternoons, and we felt that it was important to bring back that tradition to our club. Our traditions are important to us (especially to many of our long-term members) and many people wanted the traditional timeslot. We need to keep our traditions and use them to our advantage...

3. Our junior program is running on Saturday mornings. One of our most important aims for 2009, is to start exposing our junior players to mainstream adult chess. The allegro is the perfect event for new blood to start out in (both for adults and juniors). The Saturday timeslot allows juniors to have their coaching and then play in the allegro - which although is a serious tournament, does not have the intensity of a regular event. This strategy is working already with some juniors already playing in the allegro. Our club’s need for juniors is probably our most important long-term need, and we have to take every opportunity we get to encourage more juniors to play at our club...

Obviously, 2pm Saturdays isnt convenient for everyone to play allegro, but we believe that after looking at the bigger picture and long-term future of the Melbourne Chess Club, the Saturday timeslot is the most appropriate... I encourage as many of you as possible to get down to the MCC and play allegro this Saturday. It starts at 2pm and is only $5 for a member and $10 for a non-member."

ER
14-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Despite adverse weather conditions, 9 players are fighting for the prizes at MCC!
In reports by current Pres Grant Szuveges, and ex Pres Greg Gatto, IM Mirko Rujevic, FM Michael Baron, Chris Kolak, who once held ex blitz World Champion Vasily Ivanchuk to a 2 all draw (in lightning) are amongst the entries!
Full report later!

Adamski
14-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Results: 1. Baron 6.5/7 2. Jaeger 5.5/7 3. Colak 5/7 The highlight of the even was little boy (newcome to chess) drawing competently with Chris Kolak. :clap:

On completion of the tournament a 2 0 match has taken place between Kolak and Baron. The result is not to be realised (due to Chris's request)...but I found a lot of coins (as well as an $10 paper note) in my pocket this morning. I wonder where they come from :doh:Michael it looks like you are the King of (Melbourne anyway) Allegro!:clap:

ER
14-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Michael Baron is King no more! :D IM Mirko Rujevic just came, played and conquered proving that monopolising of Chess events cannot last long!

This is MCC President's Grant Szuveges report on the Allegro Tournament completed earlier this evening:

"Mirko Rujevic has won the fourth MCC allegro of 2009! Rujevic won the round robin event with 8/8 after beating Michael Baron in the first round. Baron finished 2nd on 7 and Chris Kolak third on 6... Steve Wertheim won the B prize with 3 points. Garry Conyers and Alister Henry were both competitive in their first tournaments. Full results are as follows:

8/8 Mirko Rujevic (IM)
7 Michael Baron (FM)
6 Chris Kolak
4 Tony Tosevski
Mahmud Chowdhury
3 Steve Wertheim
2 Garry Conyers
1.5 Paul Cavezza
.5 Alister Henry

MichaelBaron
14-03-2009, 07:28 PM
:( King no more :(

MichaelBaron
14-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Poor Paul he had So many good positions today....But he forgot his computer at home to help him convert his advantages :owned:

ER
14-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Michael commiserations!
Are you planning a more organised effort to wrestle your crown from the Lion of the Balkans and reclaim your title next week?
By the way where is your congratulations to Mirko? :owned:

eclectic
14-03-2009, 07:43 PM
will there be a compromise between melbourne and noble park via a live event telecast from the channel 31 studios on a wednesday?

please note that tv week will not allow this to qualify for the best new comedy act at the 2010 logies

:P

ER
14-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Sorry Eclecticus, till technology allows for your suggestion to materialise, the only solution I can suggest for you, is to enter both events on alternative Saturdays! :P :owned:

Paul Cavezza
15-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Poor Paul he had So many good positions today....But he forgot his computer at home to help him convert his advantages :owned:

AN excellent Allegro, great field, hopefully Jesse and Carl come back and mirko etc play and it'll continue to be great. The MCC Bugle headline this weekend:

HEROIC CAVEZZA HAS BARON ON THE ROPES, DISTRACTED BY UNNECESSARY GAGGLE OF IM'S BLUNDERS ROOK. ALSO HEROICALLY.

hehe i believe the party-man emoticon perfectly captures the mood... do they have a brain explosion one after losing 5 endgames from winning positions? :wall:

that'll do....

seriously though... end game is for drafts players.;)

MichaelBaron
16-03-2009, 03:43 PM
HEROIC CAVEZZA HAS BARON ON THE ROPES, DISTRACTED BY UNNECESSARY GAGGLE OF IM'S BLUNDERS ROOK. ALSO HEROICALLY.

.;)

Heroic Cavezza was pawn down for nothing out of the opening when Baron fell asleep :). Thx, God for the generous offer of a ROOK

ER
16-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Go Pablito:clap:
Don't be affected by the Baronian psychological ploys!!! :lol: Fix him up next Saturday while he' ll be concentrating on regaining his Crown!:owned:

Paul Cavezza
17-03-2009, 09:24 PM
hey tasso, i saw both our king's indians lost yesterday. I had, yet another, wonderful position. fast becoming my specialty.. if only substitutions were allowed in chess eh..

ER
17-03-2009, 10:46 PM
if only substitutions were allowed in chess eh..

lol we can work on that! :) Don't you worry we 'll get them in the end! :owned:

Basil
17-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Don't you worry we 'll get them in the end!
Ouch! Clinched in the ring? Again?

ER
18-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Ouch! Clinched in the ring? Again?
:P u be quiet! :lol:

Paul Cavezza
18-03-2009, 09:47 AM
lol we can work on that! :) Don't you worry we 'll get them in the end! :owned:

hehe.. yes.. see you outside the club at 11.15 next week with a crowbar...

MichaelBaron
21-03-2009, 10:25 AM
See you at 2 pm, everyone

ER
21-03-2009, 02:12 PM
An amazing (comparing to recent Sat Allegro entries) number of 18 players are competing in todays tournament at the Melbourne Chess Club! :clap: :clap: :clap: Report on winners etc later this evening!

eclectic
21-03-2009, 02:15 PM
so they weren't at the city square lending a hand there?

ER
21-03-2009, 02:28 PM
An amazing (comparing to recent Sat Allegro entries) number of 18 players are competing in todays tournament at the Melbourne Chess Club! :clap: :clap: :clap: Report on winners etc later this evening!
I mean I was expecting improvement, but not THAT MUCH! ;)

so they weren't at the city square lending a hand there?
Oh Eclecticus, the event at the City Square started at 10.30 am The Melbourne Chess Club Allegro usually begins at 2 pm! ;) and I am sure they didn't change the starting time just for today! :P Are you playing next Saturday? or is it Noble Park's turn? I do not include your other favourite - Box Hill Chess Club, since they do not meet on Saturdays! ;) I am sure Trevor might be able to organise something just for you! :)

ER
21-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Michael Baron and David Baumont shared first prize in today's successful Allegro at the MCC!
Tony Tosevski was 3rd.
There were other rating etc prizes, which I will announce as soon as I get the info later on in the evening!

ER
21-03-2009, 07:13 PM
The following is a Media statement by MCC Pres Grant Szuveges re: MCC Allegro!

The MCC allegro had a great week, attracting 18 players this week, after fields of 8, 11, 8 and 9 in previous weeks. The big difference for the tournament now that we have larger numbers, is that we can have a Swiss rather than a round robin....

Anyway, the tournament was won by Michael Baron and David Beaumont who drew with eachother and gobbled up everything else in sight. They both scored 6.5/7..... Tony Tosevski was third after beating Chris Kolak in the final round.....

The B division was won by Alex Kaplan who scored 3.5 after a first round loss. Equal second in group B were Sara Anton, Garry Conyers and Paul Cavezza all on 3 points.

Juniors Ari Dale and Jack Puccini are continuing to match it with the adults scoring 3 and 2.5 respectively. Both also became MCC members on the day - welcome aboard boys!

Another player to impress was Elizabeth Warren who scored 2.5 in was seems to be a breakout tournament for her. She beat 2 players rated over 1500!

New MCC member Tristan Rayson-Hill was also competitive in his first tournament, scoring 2 points... Good to see Sara Anton playing in her first allegro, and the return of Milutin Krunic who used to play allegro every week back in my day.....

FINAL LADDER

6.5 Michael Baron (FM)
David Beaumont
5 Tony Tosevski
4 Chris Kolak
Milan Brkljac
Steve Wertheim
3.5 Milutin Krunic
Kam Lee
John Wildes
Alex Kaplan
3 Ari Dale
Sara Anton
Garry Conyers
Paul Cavezza
2.5 Jack Puccini
Elizabeth Warren
2 Tristan Rayson-Hill
0/4 Johnny Yiannakou

MichaelBaron
21-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Paul is happy this time...cause he won a prize :clap:

Paul Cavezza
22-03-2009, 02:22 PM
:lol: I took the equal second place in the B group shared 3 ways, $3.30 straight to fridge for a couple of cokes. MCC is going to cost me in dentist bills...

Was a good Allegro, would love to see mirko and carl back next week. And would also love to have enough points to play them!!

Sadly by some (surely...) faults in the Swiss system I didn't get a game with Michele this week. Next week hopefully...

MichaelBaron
22-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Michelle is also looking forward to playing Paula :)

Paul Cavezza
22-03-2009, 11:34 PM
hehe.. was going for the Italian Michael rather than the girl's name but eh... easy come easy go.
Where is the next tournament appearance for the Baron?

MichaelBaron
23-03-2009, 07:54 AM
hehe.. was going for the Italian Michael rather than the girl's name but eh... easy come easy go.
Where is the next tournament appearance for the Baron?

Next saturday allegro. Hopefully we can get over 20 entries.

ER
29-03-2009, 10:53 PM
This is the official press release by MCC Pres Grant Szuveges:

Only 9 players turned up for allegro this week - which was a bit dissappointing after 18 last week - so get down to the MCC and play allegro next Saturday!!! Baron was back to his usual self with a lazy 8/8 and taking home the money.....

8/8 Michael Baron

6 Chris Kolak

5.5 Milan Brkljac

5 Tony Tosevski

Kozo Simutanyi

3 Milutin Krunic

1.5 J Sumargo

1 Elizabeth Warren

Steve Werthein

It is great to see so many people supporting the allegro, and we have had lots of new members sign up over the past few weeks during the Saturday allegro.... Welcome aboard Mahmud, Ari, Jack, Tristan, Thai and Kozo!

MichaelBaron
30-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Yep come to MCC next saturday everyone, be there or be square!

Paul Cavezza
01-04-2009, 01:57 PM
MCC Bugle Reports: Cavezza found in ditch 4 days after Allegro No-Show.

A dehydrated and badly beaten Paul Cavezza was found on the outskirts of Sunshine this afternoon by neighborhood watch leader Perry Dragacevic. Paramedics were able to revive Mr. Cavezza who was able to give a short statement: "Baron... I was taken out... by Baron."

Authorities are unsure who this Baron character is but are searching local comic book stores, as well as investigating a possible link with the vicious 1.55pm attack on a young, sprightly, handsome young chess player on Leicester Street Saturday afternoon.

Meanwhile local Chess Guru Michael Baron is unavailable for comment, sources close to Baron say he has been in isolation frantically studying the Scotch in preparation for Saturday's allegro. But no one plays the Scotch... or do they?

ER
01-04-2009, 04:48 PM
There are also suggestions that since only Mirko seems to be able to wrestle the MCCAC (Melbourne Chess Club Allegro Crown) off my Michael's head, the current King should be giving odds of:
A Pawn to players rated 1800 - 2000
A minor piece to those rated 1600-1800
A rook to aspiring 1400-1600
A Queen to all the rest!
Otherwise, it was suggested again, organisers may as well consider sending the cheque to Michael's address thus saving him the time and effort to come down to the MCC to collect it himself!

MichaelBaron
03-04-2009, 03:53 PM
See you all tomorow

ER
05-04-2009, 03:29 AM
MCC President reports from the Club:
Michael Baron was back to his usual spot, winning the allegro with 7/7. He even finished off his final opponent as one of the other games was beginning!!!
Baron was so dominant, that his opponents were the players seeded 2 through to 8, thus he played the strongest field possible (both on points and on rating order).
Douglas Lindberg and Chris Kolak shared equal second with Douglas beating Chris in the final round...
Group B was won by Steve Werthein on 4 points, despite the fact that he resigned against Baron in a much better position!
The group B players were all competitive, with Tristan Rayson-Hill having a breakout tournament scoring a creditable 3 points.

7/7 Michael BARON

5 Douglas LINDBERG

Chris KOLAK

4 Tony TOSEVSKI

Kozo SIMUTANYI

Steve WERTHEIN

3.5 Milutin KRUNIC

3 Milan BRKLJAC

John WILDES

Jack PUCCINI

Paul CAVEZZA

Tristan RAYSON-HILL

1.5 Elizabeth WARREN

Report on Allegro Players' contribution :clap: to the Buiding Fund will be found on the Melbourne Chess Club - A new Era thread!

Report by: Grant Szuveges

MichaelBaron
06-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Congratulations to Pauline on winning $1.25! :clap:

Paul Cavezza
06-04-2009, 01:36 PM
I threw the last game after a $2 bride from rayson hill, brklac, wildes & puccini! :D Will be my last allegro for a few months next saturday, am going to france for a time. Must learn that king's indian attack...

MichaelBaron
11-04-2009, 12:23 PM
See ya all soon! Allegro is starting in an hour and a half :owned:

Carl Gorka
11-04-2009, 11:28 PM
"MCC Allegro number 8, by MCC President

The 8th allegro attracted a field of 13 players and was once again won by Michael Baron who scored 7/7.... The strange thing about this tournament was that nobody other than Baron and David Beaumont managed to play consistently for the whole tournament, with numerous players floating down to play players on lower scores and then losing to them! When the smoke cleared, Baron came first, Beaumont second and then Milutin Krunic came third, despite being elligeble for the rating prize!!! Krunic took the 3rd prize meaning that David Stimson got the rating prize with his 4 points. Davids best result of the tournament was his first round win against Chris Kolak - first time he has ever beaten him apparently! Second in the rating group were Paul Cavezza and Steve Wertheim who both donated their prize money to the building fund. Thanks guys, and thankyou also to David Stimson who donated another $50 to the fund today, bringing the total to $2750....

7/7 Michael BARON
5.5 David BEAUMONT
4.5 Milutin KRUNIC
4 Brian FITZPATRICK
Chris KOLAK
Tony TOSEVSKI
David STIMSON
3.5 Milan BRKLJAC
3 Bosco MIJATOVIC
Steve WERTHEIM
Paul CAVEZZA
2 Tristan RAYSON-HILL
1.5 Jack PUCCINI

A special thankyou also goes out to MCC member Paul Cavezza, who has supported the allegro since it was relaunched. This was Pauls final allegro, as he is leaving for a year in France teaching English. Paul has also been an active participant at the club, coming to the endgame study group, donating to the building fund, coming in on Tuesdays for the novices evening and promoting the club on the chesschat forum - including some great email argy-bargy with Michael Baron! At the club, Paul will play blitz or longer games with anyone, analyse games with anyone and creates a positive, uplifting vibe around the place whenever he is there! Running a chess club can be difficult at times, but if chess clubs all had 20 Paul Cavezza's in their ranks, chess would be thriving. I think that it is fair to say that Paul would be a very welcome addition to the MCC committee when he returns from France.... Good luck Paul, have a great time in France and wherever else your trip takes you. You will be greatly missed by the members of the Melbourne Chess Club, and we look forward to your return - whenever that may be!"

DavidWiatr
17-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Is Allegro on this saturday 18 April. Does it still start at 2pm. Havent played in a long time.

MichaelBaron
17-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Is Allegro on this saturday 18 April. Does it still start at 2pm. Havent played in a long time.

Yep its on! will see you there

ER
18-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Today (Saturday 18th) we are expecting a bumper field for the Saturday allegro at 2pm.
Please come along if you can make it.
The winner today, will also get a free entry to the ANZAC day tournament (along with the guarenteed $40 prize money!

Carl Gorka
18-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Message from the president:

Allegro 9.
Michael Baron continues on his merry way winning allegros left, right and centre... Baron won this one with 6.5/7, his only draw coming in round 5 against Carl Gorka. Chris Kolak and Bosko Mijatovic finished =2nd with 5 points. Group B was shared by John Wildes and David Stimson on 4 with David Wiatr scoring 3rd on 3.5 points. Great to see 3 new players playing - brothers Alistair and James Macaulay and raffle winner Isaac Zhao, all of whom were competitive.

6.5 Michael BARON
5 Chris KOLAK
Bosko MIJATOVIC
4.5 Carl GORKA
4 Milutin KRUNIC
John WILDES
David STIMSON
3.5 David WIATR
3 Tony TOSEVSKI
Jack PUCCINI
2.5 Milan BRKLJAC
2 Alistair MACAULAY
James MACAULAY
0/4 Isaac ZHAO

Hope to see you all around next weekend. Even though the weekender is on, allegro will still be held. If players want to play in both, they can take a half point bye in round 2 of the weekender in order to play allegro.

Mischa
18-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Don 't I know you?

DavidWiatr
23-04-2009, 03:19 PM
How likely is it that the Allegro will be on this saturday, Anzac Day, given the tournament taking place and the expected big turnout?

ER
23-04-2009, 03:26 PM
How likely is it that the Allegro will be on this saturday, Anzac Day, given the tournament taking place and the expected big turnout?
David hi, the Allegro will definitely be ON as it will be throughout the year! So come along and play!

Hope to see you all around next weekend. Even though the weekender is on, allegro will still be held. If players want to play in both, they can take a half point bye in round 2 of the weekender in order to play allegro.
Also make sure you read all the threads related to MCC, there is lots of information on all Club's activities!
See you on Saturday!

klyall
25-04-2009, 07:38 PM
MCC Allego Number 10 - ANZAC Day 2009

Message from the president FM Grant Szuveges:

"Hi everyone, Allegro number 10 was a huge success equalling our biggest field so far... In fact, it had almost the same numbers as the weekender... (see MCC ANZAC Day thread). 3 players even took half point byes for round 2 of the weekender so that they could play! It was good to see IM Mirko Rujevic playing this week, and of course FM Michael Baron. (Maybe one day we could even have norms in the allegro!?) At one point, we even had 9 titled players in the building at the same time (4 in the weekender, 2 in allegro and 3 hanging out)...
Now for the important stuff... Baron won the event (as usual) with 6.5/7 getting revenge on Rujevic for a previous allegro... Baron's only draw came in round 6 against Milutin Krunic (rated 1685) - well done Milutin! Equal second on 5.5 points, were Mirko Rujevic and Dimitri Partsi...
Group B was won by Endre Simon and David Wiatr on 4 with junior Ari Dale and James Macaulay equal third on 3.5 point... Ari was very unlucky not to beat Chris Kolak in the final round which wouldve given him the outright first prize in group B...
It was great to see 4 juniors playing in the allegro and even better to see that they were all competitive! Nicholaas Schroeder was playing his first allegro today and Jack Puccini did well scoring 3 points. We hope to see more kids playing in the allegro in future and of course more adults too! First timer Alban De Maupeou from France scored a credible 2 points...

6.5/7 Michael BARON (FM)
5.5 Mirko RUJEVIC (IM)
Dimitri PARTSI
5 Chris KOLAK
4.5 Milutin KRUNIC
4 Sherif TUGLACI
David WIATR
Endre SIMON
3.5 Ari DALE
James MACAULAY
3 Tony TOSEVSKI
Milan BRKLJAC
Jack PUCCINI
2 Elizabeth WARREN
Alistar MACAULAY
Alban DE MACAULAY
1 Tristan RAYSON-HILL
Nicholaas SCHROEDER

See you all next week for Allegro Number 11 - one of these days we will top 20 players - hopefully YOU are one of them!

Grant"

Carl Gorka
02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT:

"Big news from the 11th Saturday allegro, with some interesting results...
Allegro 11 attracted a small field of 10 players although the good thing was that half of the players were juniors, who continue their improvement.

Michael Baron was the top seed as usual and everything was going along well with Michael beating 2nd seed Chris Kolak in the 4th round - but the big news came in round 5, when Tony Tosevski beat Baron as black! To make matters even more interesting, Milutin Krunic beat Chris Kolak meaning that Baron, Krunic and Tosevski all had 4 out of 5. Krunic beat Tosevski the following round and he and Baron went on the win their final games and share the first prize. Kolak and Tosevski shared 3rd. Juniors Ari Dale and Jack Puccini came first and second respectively in the B group with 3.5 and 3 points respectively. Good to see the Scopelliti brothers Paul and Daniel playing in their first allegro and Nicolaas Schroeder playing in his second allegro.

6/7 Michael BARON
Milutin KRUNIC
5 Chris KOLAK
Tony TOSEVSKI
3.5 Milan ILIC
Ari DALE
3 Jack PUCCINI
2 Paul SCOPELLITI
1 Nicolaas SCROEDER
0 Daniel SCOPELLITI

Hope to see you all next week at 2pm at the Melbourne Chess Club for allegro number 12....

Grant"

Davidflude
03-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Two things I like about this.

First you are gradually bringing inacctive members back into the fold.

Second you are attracting new people not cannabalising members from other clubs.

This has to be good for Victorian Chess.

ER
03-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Two things I like about this.
First you are gradually bringing inacctive members back into the fold.
Second you are attracting new people not cannabalising members from other clubs.
This has to be good for Victorian Chess.
I agree with David 100%!!!
One more or two more good things i
First, my friend Tony Tosevski (whose dad Bosko used to be my sparring partner few years ago - How are you Bosko?) beat Michael at a crucial round!!!!
Not that Tony isn't a champ player, however, his win vs the FM is an inspiration to the rest of us!!! I know at some stage Michael will come on stage to concede and praise his opponent!
Second, that we had so many juniors, apparently half the field, participating in the Allegro!!! Tha's even more important as far as the future of the Club is concerned!

Carl Gorka
10-05-2009, 03:47 PM
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT

"Allegro 12 was a lot stronger than usual with 1700 rated players in the bottom half! The reason for this was that the juniors who usually play were playing in the Chess Ed allegro in the next room, leaving 11 adults to fight out the tournament... Michael Baron won the event with 6.5 points - after getting away with a draw in a dubious position against Douglas Lindberg. Lindberg was coasting along towards 2nd place but was upset in the last round by Milan Brkljac, allowing Chris Kolak to jump into second... Steve Wertheim won the B group prize.

6.5 Michael BARON

5.5 Chris KOLAK

5 Douglas LINDBERG

4 Brian FITZPATRICK

4 Tony TOSEVSKI

4 Milan BRKLJAC

4 Steve WERTHEIM

3 John WILDES

3 James MACAULAY

2 Elizabeth WARREN

1 Scott RAMADGE

After the tournament, 7 of the allegro participants (plus Douglas Lindberg's father Eric) decided that the still hadnt had enough chess, and played a double round robin 8 player blitz tournament!!! Baron won that with 13 points out of 14 with D.Lindberg and Kolak equal second with 11 points.... See you all next week for Allegro Number 13!!!

Grant"

MichaelBaron
10-05-2009, 04:32 PM
From now onwards, A blitz tournament will start on 7pm every Saturday!!!

MichaelBaron
16-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Chess Super Saturday at MCC is on again today! Allegro tournament at 2 pm followed up by blitz! See you there!

Carl Gorka
16-05-2009, 10:38 PM
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT

"Hi everyone,

Allegro 13 was easy pickings for Michael Baron, who was over 500 rating points ahead of the second seed. Michael won the tournament easily with 9/9 with a round to spare... The story of the tournament though was the performance of MCC junior Simon Karumbi, who scored 6/9 in his first allegro, to win the B group prize. To put Simons result in perspective though, the next best in the B group was another MCC junior Jack Puccini who scored 3 points. MCC junior Ari Dale scored 5 and his younger brother Finley played in his first allegro. At the top end, nobody was anywhere near Baron, though Tony Tosevski came second with 7.5 and Milan Ilic third with 6.5 It was also great to see 5 juniors in the (rather small) field of 10 players...

9 Michael BARON
7.5 Tony TOSEVSKI
6.5 Milan ILIC
6 Simon KARUMBI
5 Ari DALE
4 James MACAULAY
3 Jack PUCCINI
2 Elizabeth WARREN
2 Alister MACAULAY
0 Finley DALE

Once again, the blitz was held in the evening after the allegro. Michael Baron and Carl Gorka shared first with Simon Karumbi third... See you all next Saturday for allegro....

Grant"

ER
24-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Nothing to do with Fleetwood Mac but still Rumours are Rumours and of what we are in position to know they are very real!
According to unconfirmed reports from Fitzroy Michael Baron lost to Tony Tosevski in last Saturday's Allegro!
Perhaps the Media Dept of MCC will soon confirm this with details about this very important result and coverage of the whole tournament!

Carl Gorka
24-05-2009, 08:36 PM
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT:

"Hi everyone

Sorry about the lateness of this - Ive had computer problems... Yes, it is true - Tosevski has beaten Baron again!!!

Allegro 14 was won by Michael Baron and Kelvin McBride who scored 6/7 each. Baron defeated McBride in round 2 but then lost to Tosevski the next round. Douglas Lindberg finished third on 5 points and couldve been joined by Tony Tosevski if he had beaten Chris Kolak in the final round. Kolak won that game knocking Tony out of the prizes - although another win against Baron would be a pleasing enough prize anyway... Ari Dale won the B group with 4 points - his highest allegro score to date, and James Macauley came second with 3 points. Although this one only had 10 players, it was excellent to see four kids playing and also a number of strong players...

Allegro is on EVERY Saturday afternoon at 2pm - so if you are not doing anything else, please do come down and play - we are particularly looking for players around 1400-1700 who could form a middle rating group - but of course we would be more than happy with more kids, more weaker players, more stronger players and more of everyone else too. Lets try to get 20 players soon - the record is 18 (which has occurred twice now).

Blitz is also on after the Allegro - usually starting around 7pm - so there is time to get some dinner between allegro and blitz...

6/7 Michael BARON
6 Kelvin McBRIDE
5 Douglas LINDBERG
4 Chris KOLAK
4 Tony TOSEVSKI
4 Ari DALE
3 James MACAULEY
2 Jack PUCCINI
1 Paul SCOPELLITI
0 Daniel SCOPELLITI

See you all next week, Grant"

MichaelBaron
24-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Congratulations to Kelvin! :clap:

To play his first tournament after a long break and to win it as wonderful achievement! Kelvin was also doing well against me. It was a tough fight for many moves. I guess in the end i got a bit lucky.

Losing to Toshevsky is not a gossip but a true fact :). Unfortunate but true. :)

ER
24-05-2009, 11:35 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: To Michael for his undisputed sportmanship! Cmon lets increase the nembers for next Saturday! I promise I will try hard to make it too!

Oepty
25-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Congratulations to Kelvin! :clap:

To play his first tournament after a long break and to win it as wonderful achievement! Kelvin was also doing well against me. It was a tough fight for many moves. I guess in the end i got a bit lucky.

Losing to Toshevsky is not a gossip but a true fact :). Unfortunate but true. :)

Kelvin played in December in Glenelg Allegro so only 5 months break.
Scott

Grant Szuveges
05-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi Everyone

Sorry about the lateness of this post. The 15th Allegro was a tie between Michael Baron and Douglas Lindberg in what was a very strange tournament indeed. Going into the final round, all top 5 seeds could theoretically win the event - which is quite remarkable for a 12 player Swiss... The juniors were playing in Nick Specks transfer tournament so the field was much tougher this time, especially for those at the bottom end.

Douglas Lindberg made the early running defeating Michael Baron in round 3 and then Chris Kolak in round 4. Round 5 however was the round which through everything into chaos. Lindberg lost to Tony Tosevski and Baron drew with Kolak. Andrew Fletcher won his game to propel him into the lead alongside Lindberg. Baron accounted for Fletcher in round 6 whilst Lindberg won again to take the outright lead on 5/6. However in the final round, Lindberg could only draw with junior Simon Karumbi (who gave the transfer a miss). Lindbergs draw allowed Baron to catch him. Chris Kolak couldve joined them in a tie for first had he defeated Fletcher, but he could only draw also and thus shared third with Tony Tosevski. Simon Karumbi won the B-group prize with 3.5 points.

Another noticeable thing about this tournament was the number of players who returned to the club after a long absence. It was great to see Andrew Fletcher, Bosko Tosevski and Efim Kishinevski all playing. Bosko also joined up on the day bringing our membership to 114 for the year!

5.5 Michael BARON
5.5 Douglas LINDBERG
5 Chris KOLAK
5 Tony TOSEVSKI
4.5 Andrew FLETCHER
3.5 Simon KARUMBI
3 Steve WERTHEIM
3 John WILDES
3 Efim KISHINEVSKI
3 Bosko TOSEVSKI
1 James MACAULAY
0 Elizabeth WARREN

Hope to see you all tommorow for Allegro 16!

Grant

Grant Szuveges
06-06-2009, 11:44 AM
As usual, allegro will take place every Saturday in June and July, but this winter we have something extra for the kids!

As well as the usual prizes, anyone under the age of 18 will be able to compete in a grand prix - whereby each of their scores from the following allegros will be added together to form an overall prize.

June 6
June 13
June 20
June 27
July 4
July 11
July 18
July 25

For example, if you score 3 in one event, 4 in another and 3.5 in a third, your grand prix score will be 10.5

The more you play, the more chance of getting a higher score!

The following prizes will be offered.

1st: $30
2nd: $25
3rd: $20
4th: $15
5th: $10

For any questions, please call me on 0401-925-075

Grant Szuveges
06-06-2009, 07:54 PM
For the third time, the allegro has attracted a field of 18 players - strangely it always seems to attract these big fields when it is competing with a weekender... Anyway, Michael Baron demolished the field convincingly winning the event with 7/7. Chris Kolak and Andrew Fletcher came equal second with 5.5 points.

The big news though was the performance of a number of the lower rated players. Junior Frank Lekkas won the B group with 4.5 points defeating Milutin Krunic in the final round, and equal second with 3.5 were junior Anthong Harris and Elizabeth Warren who scored 3.5/7 against a field rated 500 points ahead of her!

It was great to see so many newcomers playing in their first allegros with everyone playing competively.

7/7 Michael BARON
5.5 Chris KOLAK
5.5 Andrew Fletcher
4.5 Frank LEKKAS
4 Tony TOSEVSKI
4 Simon KARUMBI
4 Ari DALE
3.5 Elizabeth WARREN
3.5 Anthony HARRIS
3 Milutin KRUNIC
3 Bosko TOSEVSKI
3 Endre SIMON
3 James MACAULAY
3 Wilfrado JOSE
2.5 Jack PUCCINI
2 Tristan RAYSON-HILL
1 Joshua WATSON
1/3 Steve WERTHEIM

See you all next week for Allegro 17!

Grant Szuveges
14-06-2009, 12:31 AM
BARON WINS AGAIN

Michael Baron has won the 17th allegro after escaping with a draw in his first game against Domagoi Dragicevic! The event was rather small because most of the kids were playing in Nick Specks junior allegro in the next room. Since there were only 9 players, a round robin was played. The absence of the kids also made the tournament a lot stronger, with many of the players finding the going much tougher than usual...

After the draw with Domagoi in his first game, Baron went on the win 7 in a row. Domagoi also looked headed for equal first until he ran into an Andrew Fletcher opening trap in round 8. After this win, Fletcher looked set to take outright third, but lost in round 9 to Jack Shanks. Andrews loss allowed crowd favourite Chris Kolak to jump into a tie for third. Jack Shanks won the B group prize with 4.5 points.

7.5/8 Michael BARON
6.5 Domagoi DRAGICEVIC
5 Chris KOLAK
5 Andrew FLETCHER
4.5 Jack SHANKS
3.5 Tony TOSEVSKI
2 Simon KARUMBI
2 James MACAULAY
0 Elizabeth WARREN

Allegro will be on again next week as always at 2pm. Be there!

Grant Szuveges
20-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Allegro 18

Michael Baron and Brian Fitzpatrick tied for first in the 18th allegro by drawing with eachother and winning against everyone else. However the big news of the tournament was the performance of Melbourne Chess Club's numerous strong juniors! Junior Ari Dale was headed for third but was unlucky to get pipped at the post by Douglas Lindberg. Ari's result has put him into the lead now for the junior grand prix. Jack Puccini and Nicholaas Schroder tied for first in the B group, both scoring 4 points. It is the first time that either have scored 4! Nicholaas with an MCC allegro rating of 593 caused the upset of the tournament by beating Tony Tosevski rated 1731!!! I cant remember anyone beating a player rated 1200 rating points higher than them in my entire 17 years involvement in chess!!!! A magnificent result! Another noticeable trait of MCCs juniors is the amount of time they spend on the clock and their high level of intense concentration while playing their games. They are becoming very very battle-hardy playing against the adults and their results against other kids in different events are showing this! Good to see junior Anthony Harris sign up as our 119th member too. Of the 14 players in the event, 8 were juniors.

6.5 Michael BARON
6.5 Brian FITZPATRICK
4.5 Douglas LINDBERG
4 Tony TOSEVSKI
4 Ari DALE
4 Jack PUCCINI
4 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
3.5 Jack SHANKS
3 Frank LEKKAS
3 Anthony HARRIS
3 James MACAULAY
2 Finlay DALE
1 Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
0 Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT

See you all next week for Allegro 19!

JUNIOR GRAND PRIX SCORES

8 Ari DALE (2)
7.5 Frank LEKKAS (2)
6.5 Anthony HARRIS (2)
6.5 Jack PUCCINI (2)
6 Simon KARUMBI (2)
4 Nicholaas SCHROEDER (1)
2 Finlay DALE (1)
1 Michael VAN ZYL SMIT (1)
1 Joshua WATSON (1)
0 Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT (1)

Grant Szuveges
27-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Michael Baron has once again dominated the allegro with a perfect score. Chris Kolak came second with 6 and third was MCC junior Simon Karumbi who declined a draw against Baron. Simon's 5 points will go a long way to securing a grand prix prize. Juniors Ari Dale and Jack Puccini were awol this week due to the Vic Junior Champs, but junior Nicholaas Schroeder came equal first in Group B with James Macaulay. Junior Alexander Van Zyl Smit scored his first allegro win - against James Macaulay... Tristan Rayson - Hill and Elizabeth Warren came equal third in group B. See you all next week for the twentieth allegro!

7/7 Michael BARON
6 Chris KOLAK
5 Simon KARUMBI
4 Frank LEKKAS
4 Sarah ANTON
3 Tony TOSEVSKI
3 James MACAULAY
3 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
2.5 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
2.5 Elizabeth WARREN
1 Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
1 Rion VAN ZYL SMIT

MichaelBaron
28-06-2009, 12:10 AM
The allegro was as enjoyable as always. Simon deserves a special mention. When i offered him a draw (and I was not losing in that position, just a bit worse) He declined and played on for win:clap: . Even though he did lose in the end, It was very impressive play and even more importantly impressive fighting spirit by him!

kjenhager
28-06-2009, 01:34 AM
.... more importantly impressive fighting spirit by him!
Not unlike those infamous Siberian Chess Tigers i read about !

Grant Szuveges
28-06-2009, 10:33 PM
In news just in, MCC allegro player Ari Dale has won the Victorian Under 12 championship! Ari plays in the allegro most weeks and many players have been impressed with both his chess and the way he conducts himself by helping the younger kids to improve their play. For Ari's results, look through this thread and for a proper tribute, see the 09 Vic Junior thread.

Grant Szuveges
28-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Here is the latest update of the grand prix standings:

11.5 Frank LEKKAS
11 Simon KARUMBI
8 Ari DALE
7 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
6.5 Anthony HARRIS
6.5 Jack PUCCINI
2 Finlay DALE
1 Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
1 Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
1 Joshua WATSON

Next week will be the 20th allegro, so we want to attract a field of at least 20players (18 is the record currently). So if you enjoy allegro and are thinking of playing, please play!!! Even if you dont like playing, please come down and enjoy the atmosphere! If you play one allegro this year, please make it this one, number 20! See you there...

ER
01-07-2009, 07:06 PM
If Ari DALE, the new MCC sensation and Victorian U12 Champion is playing, that's another good reason for all to come to the Club and play against one of our future stars!
C'mon Make a Move to the Club this Saturday!

Grant Szuveges
02-07-2009, 01:02 PM
We have 17 confirmed entries for the 20th allegro so far... Ari Dale is one of them! Some other interesting points to encourage people:

1. GMs and IMs can play for free (hint hint James Morris!).

2. Juniors get grand prix points for the June-July MCC Allegro grand prix.

3. The Geelong vs St Kilda game is on Sunday, so you wont miss out on watching it.

4. The Ballroom Blitz is on afterwards - so you can play in both.

5. FM Michael Baron and Chris Kolak will probably be playing blitz between rounds which is a true spectator sport!

6. You will be able to check out the new (not quite finished) mural on the outside wall of the club.

Hope to see you all there - Oh, and if anyone else can add some more reasons to this list, please do so - people do read this thread, they just dont write much on it...

MichaelBaron
02-07-2009, 01:09 PM
May be Chris and Myself should start charging spectators :)

CameronD
02-07-2009, 01:26 PM
May be Chris and Myself should start charging spectators :)

You get enough from winning each week

MichaelBaron
02-07-2009, 01:44 PM
You get enough from winning each week

The more the better! :) Besides, its not as much as you think....every allegro..there is zillion prizes 3d prize group C etc....

SHump
03-07-2009, 03:15 PM
When the sponsorship deal was announced for the allegroy, I had thought that this would be in effect the Michael retirement fund, ;-) as he seems to always be in the 1st/2nd spot these days. But all the more power to him - and I am sure it is more like pocket money than anything of lasting value, in a monetary sense. Besides, you cannot have a tall poppy syndrome without some tall poppies!! - so I would like to encourage more to try and knock him off his current perch.

If I lived around the corner from the MCC, I would probably be there each weekend as well.

MichaelBaron
03-07-2009, 03:44 PM
When the sponsorship deal was announced for the allegroy, I had thought that this would be in effect the Michael retirement fund, ;-) as he seems to always be in the 1st/2nd spot these days. But all the more power to him - and I am sure it is more like pocket money than anything of lasting value, in a monetary sense. Besides, you cannot have a tall poppy syndrome without some tall poppies!! - so I would like to encourage more to try and knock him off his current perch.

If I lived around the corner from the MCC, I would probably be there each weekend as well.

Yes, I do not live on my chess earnings :). However, while my pay goes towards boring things such as bills, real estate investment etc. I made a resolution to spend my chess earnings on social acitivities only..Therefore, the more money I earn by playing chess...the more i can spoil myself :). Right now - chess money goes towards dancing lessons and events, coffees, dining out, movies etc.

However, i would be only happy to get more competition this is why i would like to encourage everyone to come and play on saturdays!!! Chess is not about winning, it is about all of us getting together and having fun!

Grant Szuveges
03-07-2009, 07:16 PM
We have 22 confirmed entries in tomorrows allegro. About half are juniors. Michael Baron is the top seed at this stage... It is still not too late to enter, and you can turn up on the day. It starts at 2pm...

Grant Szuveges
04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Great news for the MCC allegro. We attracted a field of 31 players today and we also got last-minute sponsorship from the Gypsy Bar - a cafe on Brunswick Street which make really nice lunches!

As usual, top seed Michael Baron took the honours with 6.5/7 although with the larger field, he hadnt won the event until the final game was finished. That final game was between Jesse Jager and Chris Kolak. Jesse had drawn with Michael in round 5 and with Michael was on 5.5 points going into the final round. Chris was on 4 points after a loss to Michael and an upset loss to Milutin Krunic in round 3. However Chris spoiled the party with a win against Jesse bringing him into a tie for third with Marcus Raine, Kozo Simutanyi and Tony Tosevski who took the group A rating prize instead. Jack Shanks and Frank Lekkas took equal second in group A. Group B was won by James Macaulay, with Jack Puccini second and Isaac Zhao and Finlay Dale (Ari's little brother) in a tie for third. Since we had 5 unrated players, we offered an unrated prize which was shared by Michael Skolnik, Martin Martini and junior Max Ruan.

Raffle winning junior Isaac Zhao had a great tournament scoring 3 wins including a win in round 5 against Simon Karumbi who is 800 rating points ahead of Isaac. MCC junior Paul Scopelliti was also having a great tournament and had 2/5 before having to withdraw early due to a prior commitment.

Sarah Anton and David Stimson both beat higher rated players, but Milutin Krunic after having 3/3 after beating Kolak, collapsed to 3/7

Frank Lekkas has retained his first place in the junior grand prix after scoring 4.5 points.

Alistair Macaulay signed up today to be the MCCs 120th member for 2009! It was great having 31 players today, but our task now is to keep that number, so everyone please turn up again next week! As we speak, the Ballroom Blitz is in progress with 12 players playing with Baron, Jager and Raine all sharing the lead with 5/6. Kolak and FM Bill Jordan are also playing.

6.5 Michael BARON
5.5 Jesse JAGER
5 Chris KOLAK
5 Marcus RAINE
5 Kozo SIMUTANYI
5 Tony TOSEVSKI
4.5 Peter WOLF
4.5 Jack SHANKS
4.5 Frank LEKKAS
4 Simon KARUMBI
4 Ari DALE
4 Alex KAPLAN
4 David STIMSON
4 Sarah ANTON
4 James MACAULAY
3.5 Bosko TOSEVSKI
3.5 Jack PUCCINI
3 Milutin KRUNIC
3 John WILDES
3 Isaac ZHAO
3 Finlay DALE
3 Michael SKOLNIK
3 Martin MARTINI
3 Max RUAN
2 Paul SCOPELLITI
2 AListair MACAULAY
2 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
2 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
2 Mark WATSON
1.5 Joshua WATSON
1 Daniel SCOPELLITI

Grant Szuveges
04-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Frank Lekkas has consolidated his lead in the junior grand prix after scoring 4.5 points in Allegro 20. The top 5 are clearly out in front now, although others could take their places by playing next week.... The top 5 place getters win a prize at the end of July...

16 Frank LEKKAS
15 Simon KARUMBI
12 Ari DALE
10 Jack PUCCINI
9 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
6.5 Anthony HARRIS
5 Finlay DALE
3 Max RAUN
3 Isaac ZHAO
2.5 Joshua WATSON
2 Alistair MACAULAY
2 Paul SCOPELLITI
2 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
1 Daniel SCOPELLITI
1 Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
1 Michael VAN ZYL SMIT

Bereaved
04-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Congratulations on a wonderful event, to both Grant and the players. It would have been a really interesting event no doubt, wish I hadn't had other commitments ( except I played a reasonable game there too )

Anyway, could praise for hours, but will just say well done, and be done

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

PS Grant, any chance of a crosstable?

MichaelBaron
04-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Yes, it was the largest allegro ever!

Jesse Jager
05-07-2009, 10:21 AM
I hope there is a similar turnout next week.

mustacheman
06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I'll be there

Grant Szuveges
09-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Hope to see you all at the MCC this Saturday for allegro! 31 players last week was great, but now we have to back it up and do it again!

This week, we also had some new carpet laid in the front part of the club. The only good thing about the old green mats, were that they matched Elie Beranjia's hat, but this new carpet is the real deal! You can even feel the comfort through your shoes whilst playing blitz - and I havnt lost a blitz game since this carpet was laid!

So come in on Saturday, play allegro and walk on the carpet - because we want to see 31 players this Saturday at the MCC!

Metro
09-07-2009, 05:48 PM
This week, we also had some new carpet laid in the front part of the club. The only good thing about the old green mats, were that they matched Elie Beranjia's hat, Ha Ha! please say hello to Elie from me.
but this new carpet is the real deal! Hint,you want James to play!

ER
10-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I 'll be there for the next five Saturdays!

MichaelBaron
10-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I 'll be there for the next five Saturdays!

Wonderful news!

ER
11-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Another record entries for the Allegro today!
34 players!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
With parents, friends, onlookers etc the crowd at MCC exceeded 50 people!!!
Fantastic atmosphere, I 've never experienced something like that in MCC ever before!
Grant in absolute control! :clap:
I am sure he will let you know about the results later!
Michael Baron has grounds of protest for an interruption that disturbed his concentration and cost him first place!
I did well, 4/7 (I won a minor prize too) beating all the juniors I had to face including U12 Vic Champion, sorry Ari, and some others!

Grant Szuveges
11-07-2009, 09:18 PM
For the second week in a row, the MCC allegro has broken its record entries. Last week we had 31, but this week we topped it with 34! Maybe next week we will get 40+....

Brian Fitzpatrick took the honours, defeating Michael Baron, Jesse Jager and Chris Kolak to reach 6/6 and drew the final round against Marcus Raine to secure first. Had Marcus won, a three way tie wouldve resulted. Michael Baron beat Jager in the final round to jump into second.

Simon Karumbi narrowed the gap in the junior grand prix to half a point whilst winning the A-group prize with 4.5 points, while the big sensation was Finley Dale (Ari's little brother) who scored 4 points to not only win the C-group, but take out the B-group also!!! Finleys MCC allegro rating is only 842, but he defeated players rated 1286, 1202 and 1452 to power home to 4 points. Another youngster to impress was Ishann Rhodes-Morris, who played in his first allegro, scoring 3 points. His wins came against players rated 1167, 994 and 1000. Other juniors to feature in the prizes were Simon Karumbi, Frank Lekkas, Ari Dale, Jack Puccini, Nicholaas Schroeder and Alistair Macaulay. Another player to play way above his rating was Elliot Renzies, who scored 4 points and led his rating group until right at the end when he lost to Tony Tosevski in the final round. Good to see junior Max Ruan become the 121st member of the MCC for 2009 and junior Sreemanth Gurram play in his first allegro. Lets hope that next week we get a field of 40+.

The Gypsy Bar have committed to sponsoring the allegro every week as an ongoing thing, so if you are hungry after allegro and before blitz, please pop in for a meal and tell them that you play at the MCC! See you all next Saturday...

6.5 Brian FITZPATRICK
6 Michael BARON
5.5 Marcus RAINE
5 Jesse JAGER
5 Chris KOLAK
5 Tony TOSEVSKI
4.5 Ian STONE
4.5 Simon KARUMBI
4 Kozo SIMUTANYI
4 Frank LEKKAS
4 Ari DALE
4 David STIMSON
4 Sarah ANTON
4 Andy HICKS
4 Elliot RENZIES
4 Finley DALE
3.5 Roger McCART
3.5 Michael SKOLNIK
3 Rad CHMIEL
3 Anthony HARRIS
3 James MACAULAY
3 Jack PUCCINI
3 Elizabeth WARREN
3 Alistair MACAULAY
3 Ishan RHODES - MORRIS
2.5 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
2 Paul SCOPELLITI
2 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
2 Max RUAN
2 Mark WATSON
2 Daniel SCOPELLITI
1 Sreemanth GURRAM
0 Joshua WATSON

Garvinator
11-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Can a cross table be provided please?

C.Antolis
11-07-2009, 09:22 PM
For the second week in a row, the MCC allegro has broken its record entries. Last week we had 31, but this week we topped it with 34! Maybe next week we will get 40+....

Brian Fitzpatrick took the honours, defeating Michael Baron, Jesse Jager and Chris Kolak to reach 6/6 and drew the final round against Marcus Raine to secure first. Had Marcus won, a three way tie wouldve resulted. Michael Baron beat Jager in the final round to jump into second.

Simon Karumbi narrowed the gap in the junior grand prix to half a point whilst winning the A-group prize with 4.5 points, while the big sensation was Finley Dale (Ari's little brother) who scored 4 points to not only win the C-group, but take out the B-group also!!! Finleys MCC allegro rating is only 842, but he defeated players rated 1286, 1202 and 1452 to power home to 4 points. Another youngster to impress was Ishann Rhodes-Morris, who played in his first allegro, scoring 3 points. His wins came against players rated 1167, 994 and 1000. Other juniors to feature in the prizes were Simon Karumbi, Frank Lekkas, Ari Dale, Jack Puccini, Nicholaas Schroeder and Alistair Macaulay. Another player to play way above his rating was Elliot Renzies, who scored 4 points and led his rating group until right at the end when he lost to Tony Tosevski in the final round. Good to see junior Max Ruan become the 121st member of the MCC for 2009 and junior Sreemanth Gurram play in his first allegro. Lets hope that next week we get a field of 40+.

The Gypsy Bar have committed to sponsoring the allegro every week as an ongoing thing, so if you are hungry after allegro and before blitz, please pop in for a meal and tell them that you play at the MCC! See you all next Saturday...

6.5 Brian FITZPATRICK
6 Michael BARON
5.5 Marcus RAINE
5 Jesse JAGER
5 Chris KOLAK
5 Tony TOSEVSKI
4.5 Ian STONE
4.5 Simon KARUMBI
4 Kozo SIMUTANYI
4 Frank LEKKAS
4 Ari DALE
4 David STIMSON
4 Sarah ANTON
4 Andy HICKS
4 Elliot RENZIES
4 Finley DALE
3.5 Roger McCART
3.5 Michael SKOLNIK
3 Rad CHMIEL
3 Anthony HARRIS
3 James MACAULAY
3 Jack PUCCINI
3 Elizabeth WARREN
3 Alistair MACAULAY
3 Ishan RHODES - MORRIS
2.5 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
2 Paul SCOPELLITI
2 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
2 Max RUAN
2 Mark WATSON
2 Daniel SCOPELLITI
1 Sreemanth GURRAM
0 Joshua WATSON
wow.. i never would have thought the allegro would be revived and be such a strong tournament.
unfortunately i cant play :(

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
11-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Can a cross table be provided please?

I understand Grant does the draw manually. So unless Grant or someone else started using a computer, I doubt we'll see crosstables.

Grant Szuveges
11-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Frank Lekkas has maintained his lead in the June/July MCC Allegro Junior Grand Prix by the tiniest of margins after scoring 4 points today. Simon Karumbi cut the margin to just half a point by scoring 4.5 Finley Dale has made a push for the top 5 by also scoring 4 points. Results so far:

20 Frank LEKKAS
19.5 Simon KARUMBI
16 Ari DALE
13 Jack PUCCINI
11.5 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
9.5 Anthony HARRIS
9 Finley DALE
5 Alistair MACAULAY
5 Max RUAN
4 Paul SCOPELLITI
4 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
3 Ishan RHODES - MORRIS
3 Daniel SCOPELLITI
3 Isaac ZHAO
2.5 Joshua WATSON
1 Sreemanth GURRAM
1 Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
1 Michael VAN ZYL SMIT

MichaelBaron
12-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Congratulations to Brian :clap: . He played extremely well today!

ER
12-07-2009, 12:10 PM
I understand Grant does the draw manually. So unless Grant or someone else started using a computer, I doubt we'll see crosstables.
I think that sooner or later a computer has to be used, because, we 'll end up having one of the most popular rapid tournaments in Australia not being officially rated!
I think that was what Garvinator had in mind when he asked the question!

Grant Szuveges
12-07-2009, 02:06 PM
We will probably have to start using a computer if we keep getting such big fields, although the manual pairing do have their advantages:

1. If players question the draw, the arbiter can explain the reason for the pairing rather than justifying what the computer has done.

2. By doing the pairings manually, people watch and learn how to do the draw, meaning that more people learn this important skill/art and thus we may have some new potential arbiters on our hands. Some of the kids take particular interest in this, and we need arbiters for the future.

3. It keeps up tradition, and thus people dont lose the skill of doing the pairings. The Swiss pairings are a very fair way of running any sporting event, not just chess, and we as chessplayers should be proud that we have such a good system. It would be a pitty if people lost this important skill.

As for ratings, the allegro is rated every with the Melbourne Chess Club Allegro rating list. The ratings are updated every single week using the Australian rating system pre-Glicko. We have found that this system provides an accurate representation of how players play. Players without an MCC Allegro rating start with their ACF rating and are incorporated into the system from there. Players without a rating will get one after their first allegro via the same system. (And yes, I calculate the ratings manually too - another useful skill to have). Here is the rating list updated last night after Allegro 21.

MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB

ALLEGRO RATINGS

Updated after Allegro 21, 11-7-09

SURNAME, name, (title) rating, games, allegros

ANTON, Sarah 1512 28 4
BARON, Michael (FM) 2206 155 21
BEAUMONT, David 1909 14 2
BRKJLAC, Milan 1734 48 7
CAVEZZA, Paul 1278 44 6
CHMIEL, Rad 1696 7 1
CHOWDHURY, Mahmud 1696 8 1
CONYERS, Garry 1465 15 2
DALE, Ari 1518 71 10
DALE, Finley 913 30 4
DE MAUPEOU, Alban 1276 7 1
DRAGICEVIC, Domagoi 2148 8 1
FITZPATRICK, Brian 1995 28 4
FLETCHER, Andrew 1771 22 3
GORKA, Carl 2041 17 2
GURRAM, Sreemanth 721 7 1
HARRIS, Anthony 1408 21 3
HENRY, Alister 1355 8 1
HICKS, Andy 1487 7 1
ILIC, Milan 1693 16 2
JAGER, Jes 2093 21 3
JOSE, Wilfrado 1367 6 1
KAPLAN, Alex 1539 21 3
KARA, Barbaros 1657 10 1
KARUMBI, Simon 1581 52 7
KISHINEVSKI, Efim 1508 7 1
KOLAK, Chris 1885 132 18
KRUNIC, Milutin 1699 64 9
LEE, Kam 1574 14 2
LEKKAS, Frank 1601 35 5
LINDBERG, Douglas 1924 35 5
MACAULAY, Alistair 964 36 5
MACAULAY, James 1375 84 12
MARTINI, Martin 1275 7 1
McBRIDE, Kelvin 1913 7 1
McCART, Roger 1562 7 1
MIJATOVIC, Bosko 1795 13 2
PARTSI, Dimitri 2019 7 1
PUCCINI, Jack 1337 99 14
RAINE, Marcus 1865 31 4
RAMADGE, Scott 918 6 1
RAUN, Max 1006 13 2
RAYSON-HILL, Tristan 1169 45 7
RENZIES, Elliot 1408 7 1
RHODES-MORRIS, Ishan 1141 7 1
RUJEVIC, Mirko (IM) 2205 15 2
SCHROEDER, Nicholaas 749 41 6
SCOPELLITI, Daniel 811 24 4
SCOPELLITI, Paul 1240 25 4
SHANKS, Jack 1646 22 3
SIMON, Endre 1420 14 2
SIMUTANYI, Kozo 1724 29 4
SINGAMSETTI, Sohith 1132 13 2
SKOLNIK, Michael 1289 13 2
STIMSON, David 1510 44 6
STONE, Ian 1808 7 1
SUMARGO, Julianto 1464 8 1
TOSEVSKI, Bosko 1498 21 3
TOSEVSKI, Tony 1670 153 21
TUGLACI, Sherif 1649 7 1
VAN ZYL SMIT, Alexander 557 14 2
VAN ZYL SMIT, Michael 559 7 1
VAN ZYL SMIT, Rion 851 7 1
WARREN, Elizabeth 1189 89 12
WATSON, Joshua 705 19 3
WATSON, Mark 1002 13 2
WIATR, David 1555 14 2
WILDES, John 1518 54 8
WOLF, Peter 1774 7 1
WERTHEIM, Steve 1576 68 10
YIANNAKOU, Johnny 828 4 1
ZHAO, Isaac 880 11 2

Garvinator
12-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Have you thought of getting the allegro's ACF rapid rated?

Lakshman
12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Another record entries for the Allegro today!
34 players!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
With parents, friends, onlookers etc the crowd at MCC exceeded 50 people!!!
Fantastic atmosphere, I 've never experienced something like that in MCC ever before!
Grant in absolute control! :clap:
I am sure he will let you know about the results later!
Michael Baron has grounds of protest for an interruption that disturbed his concentration and cost him first place!
I did well, 4/7 (I won a minor prize too) beating all the juniors I had to face including U12 Vic Champion, sorry Ari, and some others!

Well Done JAK.BTW are you planning to participate in Friday grades at BHCC?
ta

Grant Szuveges
12-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Actually I havnt thought about it to be honest. It has never really even been an issue. The only reasons we even have a rating system for the allegro are to seed players (many dont have ACF ratings) and to encourage more kids to play in the event.

I dont think that any of the adults could care less what their allegro ratings were and Im not even sure that many of the kids care too much - they just want to play. Most are more concerned about having a low enough rating to get into a rating group so that they can win a prize....

The big issues (to my mind) about getting the allegro ACF rated would be as follows:

1. Rating fees: I am assuming that we would have to pay rating fees, and this fee would be taken out of the tournament budget. I dont think that the players would want their prize money decreasing just so that the tournament could be rated. We only charge $5 for members to play in this tournament and $10 for non-members. 80% of this is payed out in prize money. We try to have quite a few rating prizes per event so that everyone has a reasonable chance at getting a prize. The prizes are fairly low anyway, and rating fees would cut them even more. The MCC allegro system is free, so it doesnt affect the tournament budget.

2. Speed of updates: I calculate the rating changes after every single event, and players will have a rating after their first event in time for their second. If we used the ACF rapid ratings, we would have to wait 3 months (?) for the ratings to come out. In the meantime, we need to seed players. Kids always want to see what their rating is as soon as they play in the second tournament. After 3 months they have usually stopped caring what it is anyway.

The 2 points basically show that it is easier if we (the MCC) have complete control over our rating system. In the old days (15 years+ ago) when I played, the allegro always had its own rating system anyway.

Having said all this, there is no reason why we couldnt have the allegro rated on the ACF list as well - although I dont think that the players would be too keen on their potential prize money being used in rating fees. (Id be keen to hear what Michael Baron think about this actually.) If there were no rating fees, we would definately look at this.

MichaelBaron
12-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Why waste money on allegro ratings?

ER
12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Well Done JAK.BTW are you planning to participate in Friday grades at BHCC?
ta

Hi Lakshman, how are you son? Of course i will be there! :)

1. Rating fees: I am assuming that we would have to pay rating fees, and this fee would be taken out of the tournament budget. I dont think that the players would want their prize money decreasing just so that the tournament could be rated. We only charge $5 for members to play in this tournament and $10 for non-members. 80% of this is payed out in prize money. We try to have quite a few rating prizes per event so that everyone has a reasonable chance at getting a prize. The prizes are fairly low anyway, and rating fees would cut them even more. The MCC allegro system is free, so it doesnt affect the tournament budget.

Hi Grant, to be honest I don't know how much ACF charges to have Rapid tournaments rated. I will ask Trevor at BHCC though because I am sure their (or some of) allegro tournaments are rated!

Why waste money on allegro ratings?

Because it makes it official, within ACF guidelines!
It also provides a valid criterion of judging a player's strength on a nationwide basis!

I make it clear I do not post this as in provoking a Baron vs ACF officialdom clash! :)

VinayL
12-07-2009, 08:32 PM
It seems that the MCC have a good collection of junior chess players! I wonder if someone would organise an interclub kind of event involving BHCC Juniors playing the MCC juniors?

I like the sound of that!!:D :owned:

MichaelBaron
12-07-2009, 08:40 PM
I am working hard on Facebook to try to convince some of the BHCC juniors to come and play in our allegro.

Paul Cavezza
12-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Wow wish I was there for the allegro and the blitz, looks like it's going great. Was nice to see one B. Jordan's name in the blitz the other night! Might pop in in September if i'm back from overseas, otherwise next year! Paul

Lekko
16-07-2009, 01:36 AM
It seems that the MCC have a good collection of junior chess players! I wonder if someone would organise an interclub kind of event involving BHCC Juniors playing the MCC juniors?

I like the sound of that!!:D :owned:
You should come down one saturday and play. Perhaps this weekend if you're not going to geelong?

MichaelBaron
18-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Guys, Allegro is starting in 3 hours, followed up by blitz - be there or be square!

Grant Szuveges
18-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Michael Baron has won Allegro 22 with a picket fence score of 7/7! A strong field assembled with 4 players over 2000. Domagoi Dragicevic was in trouble early drawing in round 2 with Milutin Krunic while last weeks winner Brian Fitzpatrick lost to MCC junior Simon Karumbi. Dragicevic and Fitzpatrick then had to play eachother in round 3 with Fitzpatrick winning, effectively ending Domagoi's chances of first prize. Fitzpatricks tournament was basically ended in round 4 when he lost to Sarah Anton. Dimitri Partsi lost round 4 to Chris Kolak and then round 5 to Baron. After round 5, only Baron with 5 points and Pecori, Kolak and Mijatovic with 4 had a chance of coming first. In round 6 Baron beat Dragicevic to win the tournament with a round to spare as Kolak and Pecori drew with eachother and Mijatovic lost to Ian Stone. Going into the last round Baron had 6, Kolak and Pecori had 4.5 and lots of people had 4 points. Sarah Anton and Elliot Renzies were beating many players higher rated than them. In the final round, Baron won again and Pecori beat Partsi to finish second. Kolak couldve joined Pecori with a win, but lost to Bosko Mijatovic who jumped into 3rd. Mijatovic was joined by Sarah Anton who also came equal third with a win over Milutin Krunic in the final round. Elliot Renzies and John Wildes won the Rating group A prize with 4 points. Elliots result was particularly good as he beat 3 players rated higher than him but lost to Dragicevic in the final round. Jack Puccini won the Rating group B prize also with 4 points after beating Simon Karumbi (rated over 200 points higher than him) in the final round. Rafael Pecori (Ascaro's son) performed well in his first MCC allegro scoring 3 points and won a minor prize. Finley Dale also continues his improvement scoring 3 points - including another win against Anthony Harris (rated 500 points above him). Finley was unlucky to lose round one against Tony Tosevski where he had won Tonys queen. Tony went on to have a disasterous tournament, finishing on 2.5 points - but thats the good thing about MCCs allegros, there is always next week! See you all next week for Allegro 23 and the final week of the junior grand prix....

7/7 Michael BARON
5.5 Ascaro PECORI
5 Bosko MIJATOVIC
5 Sarah ANTON
4.5 Domagoi DRAGICEVIC
4.5 Brian FITZPATRICK
4.5 Chris KOLAK
4 Dimitri PARTSI
4 Ian STONE
4 Milutin KRUNIC
4 John WILDES
4 Elliot RENZIES
4 Jack PUCCINI
3.5 Frank LEKKAS
3.5 Bosko TOSEVSKI
3.5 Endre SIMON
3 Simon KARUMBI
3 Ari DALE
3 James MACAULAY
3 Finley DALE
3 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
3 Rafael PECORI
2.5 Tony TOSEVSKI
2 Anthony HARRIS
2 Elizabeth WARREN
2 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
1 Sreemanth GURRAM
0 Karen PECORI

ER
18-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Great atmosphere at MCC again today! Every Saturday is like a family day with all the estabished players, not so established players :P. juniors, parents etc.!
Lovely to see the whole Pecori family participating today!:clap: Father and son won prizes! :clap: :clap: Mum has to wait for next time! You played good Karen next time you show them! :)

Lekko
19-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Great atmosphere at MCC again today! Every Saturday is like a family day with all the estabished players, not so established players :P. juniors, parents etc.!
Lovely to see the whole Pecori family participating today!:clap: Father and son won prizes! :clap: :clap: Mum has to wait for next time! You played good Karen next time you show them! :)
You've been doing very well at these allegros! Last week you humiliated me in round 3 and beat plenty of other players rated higher than you, and this week you continued to score over 50%. Well done!

Grant, have you got the junior grand prix results ready yet?

ER
19-07-2009, 04:07 PM
You've been doing very well at these allegros! Last week you humiliated me in round 3 and beat plenty of other players rated higher than you, and this week you continued to score over 50%. Well done!

Hi Frank
Thanks for your kind words! In that game there wasn't a matter of humiliation since you just left a Bishop hanging on e6 (Rxe6ch)! After that you offered strong resistance and only after spending a considerable amount of time on the clock was I able to get my Rooks on the 7th rank and force the issue.
I am sure that sooner or later you will be able to extract revenge (be nice to the old chap right? :)) and your way to the top will not only be restricted to your performances in the Allegro!
I don't know if you are going to Tassie for the Aus Juniors, that would be a great experience! Don't worry about your performance in the Vic Open.. Although you did quite well, it was only a matter of lack of tournament experience that you did not do even better. I am sure you and Simon and Ari and the other juniors at MCC are doing great and we are all sure about your bright future!
Your participation in the Club's tournaments will be of paramount importance. These tournaments are traditionally very strong and you will gain quite a wealth of experience by playing in them!

Lekko
19-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi Frank
Thanks for your kind words! In that game there wasn't a matter of humiliation since you just left a Bishop hanging on e6 (Rxe6ch)! After that you offered strong resistance and only after spending a considerable amount of time on the clock was I able to get my Rooks on the 7th rank and force the issue.
I am sure that sooner or later you will be able to extract revenge (be nice to the old chap right? :)) and your way to the top will not only be restricted to your performances in the Allegro!
I don't know if you are going to Tassie for the Aus Juniors, that would be a great experience! Don't worry about your performance in the Vic Open.. Although you did quite well, it was only a matter of lack of tournament experience that you did not do even better. I am sure you and Simon and Ari and the other juniors at MCC are doing great and we are all sure about your bright future!
Your participation in the Club's tournaments will be of paramount importance. These tournaments are traditionally very strong and you will gain quite a wealth of experience by playing in them!
All I recall from our game was that you ripped into the opening I played, forcing me to create weaknesses all over the place, won a piece in the middlegame, and finished the endgame in a spectacular fashion. As for revenge, just hope we don't got up against eachother in the U2000 ;)

Umm, I'm definately considering Tassie, depending on how it clashes with swimming nationals.

Keep up the good work!

P.S. If you end up going up against Simon next week, make sure you beat him. I need to win the junior grand prix ;)

Grant Szuveges
21-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Frank Lekkas has stretched his grand prix lead to a whole point after none of the 3 leaders scored more than 3 points in Allegro 22. While Simon and Ari scored 3 points each, Frank got 3.5 and thus now has a 1 point buffer. Jack Puccini's 4 points has put him closer to the leaders but still 2 points behind Ari. Nic Schroeder is 5th and Finley Dale has jumped into 6th overtaking Anthony Harris. Frank Lekkas is also leading the MCC under 2000, with 3/3!

JUNIOR GRAND PRIX (June and July 2009)

23.5 Frank LEKKAS (6)
22.5 Simon KARUMBI (6)
19 Ari DALE (5)
17 Jack PUCCINI (5)
14.5 Nicholaas SCHROEDER (5)
12 Finley DALE (4)
11.5 Anthony HARRIS (4)
6 Sohith SINGAMSETTI (3)
5 Alistair MACAULAY (2)
5 Max RAUN (2)
4 Paul SCOPELLITI (2)
3 Rafael PECORI (1)
3 Ishan RHODES-MORRIS (1)
3 Daniel SCOPELLITI (2)
3 Isaac ZHAO (1)
2.5 Joshua WATSON (3)
2 Sreemanth GURRAM (2)
1 Michael VAN ZYL SMIT (1)
1 Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT (2)

ER
24-07-2009, 01:33 AM
I (overheard) somewhere that the MCC Allegros will attract even stronger players and even larger Nos of participants than the already impressive present ones! And all that in the very near future!

Axiom
24-07-2009, 01:44 AM
I (overheard) somewhere that the MCC Allegros will attract even stronger players and even larger Nos of participants than the already impressive present ones! And all that in the very near future!
yes, apparently someone has put up a bounty as part of "OPERATION STOP BARON"
I cannot reveal the exact figure , but i understand it is a substantial amount , and word has got out .
I can just picture the scene from a 50s gunslinger film , with the Baron , dressed strikingly in head to foot black , striding imperiously towards last chess saloon , when over the horizon , one by one , the bounty hunters emerge , their eyes catching, through the haze of the hot high noon sun .

ER
24-07-2009, 01:49 AM
the haze of the hot noon sun .
Can I add hot (high) noon here chief? :)

Axiom
24-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Can I add hot (high) noon here chief? :)
I like your work

Lekko
24-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Is the person that placed the bounty aware that Fitzpatrick took out the tournament 2 weeks ago?

Axiom
24-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Is the person that placed the bounty aware that Fitzpatrick took out the tournament 2 weeks ago?
The bounty was placed on monday 20th july.

Lekko
24-07-2009, 06:27 PM
The bounty was placed on monday 20th july.
:\ Too little, too late.

Grant Szuveges
25-07-2009, 07:53 PM
The 23rd allegro has attracted 21 players - a large field considering that there was also a junior allegro being held at the same time. Things were going along according to plan with Michael Baron, Ascaro Pecori and Peter Wolf all getting to 3/3. Baron defeated Stone to take the lead with 4/4 and Pecori drew with Kolak to get to 3.5 Baron and Pecori drew in round 5 and everyone thought that the result would be a foregone conclusion..... Then came round 6.... In the 6th round, Baron lost to Ian Stone, Pecori beat Mijatovic and Chris Kolak lost to Tony Tosevski leaving Pecori, Stone and Tosevski all on 5 points going into the final round. In round 7 Stone beat Tosevski while Pecori defeated Kozo Simutanyi, to share first prize. Juniors Michael Tanner and Deniz Tuncer both playing in their first allegros scored 3 points to share the B rating group prize with 4 others.

6 Ascaro PECORI
6 Ian STONE
5.5 Michael BARON
5 Tony TOSEVSKI
4.5 Chris KOLAK
4 Bosko MIJATOVIC
4 Peter WOLF
4 Kozo SIMUTANYI
4 Roger McCART
3.5 Sarah ANTON
3.5 Frank LEKKAS
3.5 Simon KARUMBI
3 Bosko TOSEVSKI
3 Endre SIMON
3 James MACAULAY
3 Michael SKOLNIK
3 Michael TANNER
3 Deniz TUNCER
2 Elizabeth WARREN
2 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
1 Mark WATSON

Frank Lekkas did enough to hold his lead in the June/July junior grand prix by scoring 3.5 points and has won the event. The following players have won the big bucks:
1st Frank LEKKAS $30
2nd Simon KARUMBI $25
3rd Ari DALE $20
4th Jack PUCCINI $15
5th Nicholaas SCHROEDER $10

See you all next week for allegro 24!

ER
25-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Glad to see Ascaro in the winners podium! :clap:
Congrats to Frank for keeping his lead in the GP ladder! :clap:
Nice to see Deniz, a very talented BH/CJCC junior at MCC playing allegro!:clap:
Apologies for not being able to keep my promise and come to play today due to last moment change of schedule! I will still pay my entree fee to Grant on Monday evening!

Grant Szuveges
29-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi everyone

Lets try to get 40 people to the allegro on Saturday!!! There is no reason to stop at 30..... So, if the 34 people who played a few weeks ago all play again, and bring along a friend, or parent or sibling - or even someone they dont like, then we should have 68 people..... So everyone, please get down to the MCC this Saturday for Allegro 24. If you would like to register early, please reply to me via this thread or call me on 0401-925-075. And remember, IMs and GMs get free entry!!!

On another note, we will be organizing the MCC Allegro Championship soon. It is likely to be in a weekender form something along the lines of 11 or 13 rounds held over Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon (maybe 2pm-7pm Sat and 1pm-6pm Sunday or something like that). It will probably be in November. Keep reading this thread and we will give you more news as it breaks...

Grant

Grant Szuveges
31-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Dont forget to come to Allegro this Saturday!!! Come and check out the new guttering also!!!

Lekko
31-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Dont forget to come to Allegro this Saturday!!! Come and check out the new guttering also!!!
Come for the guttering, stay for allegro? ;)

MichaelBaron
31-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Yes, put your opponents down the gutter! :)

queenant89
01-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Hey Grant,
Can u add me to the draw... if im running realli late.. ill give u call etc..

Grant Szuveges
02-08-2009, 03:35 AM
A field of 25 people competed in Allegro 24, with Michael Baron coming out on top in what was a very interesting tournament. I cant remember the last time that I saw so many draws in an allegro - but this actually made it more interesting in that nobody zoomed ahead too quickly with the tournament only decided in the final round.

Round one saw probably the biggest upset of the tournament, with Finley Dale defeating Tony Tosevski (700 rating points higher than him) while in round two, the top seeds were stopped in their tracks with Baron and Ascaro Pecori drawing with Krunic and Fletcher respectively. Krunic was actually winning against Baron but seemed to get stage fright. Krunic continued in round 3 with a win against Ascaro Pecori while Justin Tan (playing his first allegro) and Ian Stone drew on board 1, leaving Chris Kolak in the lead on 3/3.

Round four saw Baron beat Kolak and Krunic defeat Tan to share the lead on 3.5 points. Round five proved decisive with Baron defeating Tosevski and Kolak defeating Krunic. Mijatovic defeated Tan to keep him out of the prizes. Baron now had 4.5 points and Kolak and Mijatovic on 4. In round six, Baron won against Mijatovic and Kolak lost to Ascaro Pecori who had finally crept back to the top boards at the right end of the tournament. Unrated player Shaun Hose defeated Stone to move on to 4/6 and junior Jack Puccini defeated Bosko Tosevski. In the final (seventh) round, the top two seeds finally met, with Baron assuring himself of first with a quick draw against Ascaro Pecori. Mijatovic ended Krunic's tourament and Kolak defeated Tony Tosevski. Justin Tan defeated Hose to end his good first allegro and Jack Puccini finished the tournament well with a win over Ari Dale to secure 4 points and the group A rating prize (which he shared with Hose and Endre Simon.) Finley Dale won the group B prize with 3.5 points.

6/7 Michael BARON
5 Ascaro PECORI
5 Chris KOLAK
5 Bosko MIJATOVIC
4.5 Justin TAN
4.5 Ian STONE
4.5 Milutin KRUNIC
4 Tony TOSEVSKI
4 Endre SIMON
4 Jack PUCCINI
4 Shaun HOSE
3.5 Frank LEKKAS
3.5 Sarah ANTON
3.5 Ari DALE
3.5 Deniz TUNCER
3.5 Michael TANNER
3.5 Finley DALE
3 Bosko TOSEVSKI
3 Max RUAN
2.5 Andrew FLETCHER
2.5 Ishan RHODES - MORRIS
2.5 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
2.5 Rafael PECORI
2 Sreemanth GURRAM
1 Karem PECORI

MichaelBaron
02-08-2009, 09:47 AM
As always juniors were playing very well. The highlight of the day was Justin Tan joining Melbourne chess club :clap:

Lekko
02-08-2009, 09:46 PM
As always juniors were playing very well. The highlight of the day was Justin Tan joining Melbourne chess club :clap:
The highlight should have been you blundering 2 pieces on the same square :p

MichaelBaron
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM

Please do not confuse blitz with allegro :)

Lekko
02-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Please do not confuse blitz with allegro :)
You said day. Not the highlight of the 4 and a half hours it takes to run the allegro ;)

queenant89
03-08-2009, 03:44 PM

Good One!!! :P

Grant Szuveges
08-08-2009, 11:03 PM
29 players played in the 25th Allegro, with Michael Baron winning by half a point, ahead of Justin Tan. It was round 2 however when the interesting things began to happen, with Tony Tosevski forfeiting his game against Michael Baron!!!! Just as everyone was wondering/worrying what had happened to Tony, he turned up after having to run an errand to find that he has lost on forfeit! Our first forfeit in the MCC Allegro!

Round 4 saw Vic Under 12 champion add Milutin Krunic to his list of scalps whilst Baron took the lead defeating Fitzpatrick. The following round Baron could only draw with Justin Tan (who had drawn with Pecori the previous round) and Kolak jumped into the shared lead by defeating Fitzpatrick, after defeating McBride and drawing with Pecori. Ari Dale drew with Stone. With 4.5each and Kolak with white, the big Kolak vs Baron clash occured in round 6. Baron was able to win with black to move to 5.5 with Pecori and Tan snapping at his heals on 5 points.

However, there was a twist! Ascaro Pecori and his son Rafael had been granted permission before the tournament to withdraw before the final round due to a prior commitment, meaning that Barons main challenger for a prize was gone. Therefore the highest rated player on the highest score who hadnt played Baron happened to be Tony Tosevski!!! And yes, before you ask, he can be paired against Baron despite forfeiting against him earlier in the tournament!

Baron defeated Tosevski and Tan defeated Chris Kolak who had played a very very strong field - his score of 4.5 not really reflecting how well he had actually played. 5 of his opponents were higher rated than him!!! Ari Dale also jumped into 4.5 points defeating John Wildes to win the Group A prize with Frank Lekkas, Endre Simon and James Macaulay sharing second whilst Malaysian player Jonathan Selvan won the B Group with 4 points ahead of Finley Dale on 3.5 points. Before this event, Finleys MCC Allegro Rating was sitting on 998, now he has jumped over the big 1000 mark to reach 1035! Well done Finley!

Lets all get down to MCC next Saturday for a very very big Allegro 26 - hopefully we can crack 40 players!

6.5 Michael BARON
6 Justin TAN
5 Ascaro PECORI
5 Brian FITZPATRICK
5 Kelvin McBRIDE
4.5 Chris KOLAK
4.5 Milutin KRUNIC
4.5 Ari DALE
4 Tony TOSEVSKI
4 Shaun HOSE
4 Frank LEKKAS
4 Endre SIMON
4 James MACAULAY
4 Jonathan SELVAN
3.5 Ian STONE
3.5 John WILDES
3.5 Finley DALE
3 Simon KARUMBI
3 Anthony HARRIS
3 Jack PUCCINI
3 Max RAUN
3 Alistair MACAULAY
2.5 Elizabeth WARREN
2 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
2 Rafael PECORI
2 Sreemanth GURRAM
2 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
2 Peter GRGUREVIC
1 Joshua WATSON

MichaelBaron
10-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I am curious..do people who are kind of leading allegro standing (even though unfortunately there is no official GP) get free entry to the MCC allegro Championships? ;)

Lekko
11-08-2009, 12:10 AM
I am curious..do people who are kind of leading allegro standing (even though unfortunately there is no official GP) get free entry to the MCC allegro Championships? ;)
Nah, they have to sponsor one of the juniors ;)

Grant Szuveges
11-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi Michael and Frank

We discussed the Allegro Champs last night at the Tournament Sub-Committee Meeting, and we will be announcing it after Thursday (the date of our next regular committee meeting). I very much doubt that anyone will get free entry except for GMs and IMs. The entry fee wont be very high anyway.

Grant

MichaelBaron
11-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Nah, they have to sponsor one of the juniors ;)

The junior already got a Chocolate Frog...thats enough for him :)

Lekko
11-08-2009, 04:37 PM
The junior already got a Chocolate Frog...thats enough for him :)
Lies! It was a caramello koala :D

ER
11-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Judd got the big froggies to be in his daughters' good books, they call them froggie treats, you better leave some til next Monday. Grant was absolutely devastating them!

Lekko
11-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Haha make sure you're there on saturday for allegro! Michael Baron will be paying the entry fees for the first 10 people to put their names down :o!

VinayL
11-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Haha make sure you're there on saturday for allegro! Michael Baron will be paying the entry fees for the first 10 people to put their names down :o!

Ok, i don't like to get over-excited but i am now SORELY TEMPTED:eek:

MichaelBaron
12-08-2009, 04:32 PM

and he will be paying it with Frank's money ;)

Lekko
12-08-2009, 04:39 PM
and he will be paying it with Frank's money ;)
*forgets wallet at home again*

MichaelBaron
13-08-2009, 12:20 AM
*forgets wallet at home again*

LOL

Grant Szuveges
14-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi everyone

The MCC Allegro Championship has been organised and will be held as a 13 round Swiss over the weekend of November 21st and 22nd. Here are the details:

WHEN? Saturday 21st November and Sunday 22nd November

WHERE? Melbourne Chess Club, 66 Leicester St Fitzroy, 3065

FORMAT? 13 round Swiss. Rounds 1-7 on Saturday from 2pm to 6pm and rounds 8-13 on Sunday from 2pm to 6pm.

PRIZES? The following prizes are based on a field of 30 entries. Larger/more prizes may be offered if the field is larger.
1st: $200 and title (MCC Allegro Champion)
2nd: $100
3rd: $50
4th: $30
5th: $20
Rating groups A, B and C: $30, $20 and $10 for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each.

ENTRY FEES? $20 for MCC members, $30 for non - members. Note that non - members are not eligible for the title of "MCC Allegro Champion".

QUESTIONS? For any further questions, please call Grant Szuveges on 0401-925-075 or email nevermice@hotmail.com

MichaelBaron
14-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I will be there! - Pity there is no some kind of GP though :(

ER
14-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I will be there! - Pity there is no some kind of GP though :(
I am sure Grant will think of something!

Grant Szuveges
15-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Michael Baron has convincingly won the 26th Allegro with a round to spare. Michael won his first 6 games and finished with a hard fought draw with Shaun Hose, who won the group A prize. Chris Kolak returned to form to share equal second with Douglas Lindberg who was given a half point bye in the first round after showing up late. Ascaro Pecori didnt have a good day, losing the second round against newcomer from Sydnay Andy Schwarcz whilst bottom seed Alistair Macaulay had a breakout tournament scoring 3.5 points in a great performance. He shared the group B prize with Tristan Rayson - Hill. Baron and Kolak shared equal first in the blitz later on.

6.5 Michael BARON
5.5 Douglas LINDBERG
5.5 Chris KOLAK
4.5 Brian FITZPATRICK
4.5 Shaun HOSE
4 Ascaro PECORI
4 Ian STONE
4 Andy SCHWARCZ
4 Simon KARUMBI
4 Ari DALE
3.5 Milutin KRUNIC
3.5 Tony TOSEVSKI
3.5 Endre SIMON
3.5 James MACAULAY
3.5 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
3.5 Alistair MACAULAY
3 Frank LEKKAS
3 Finley DALE
2.5 Jack PUCCINI
2.5 Max RAUN
2 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
2 Rafael PECORI
1 Ishan RHODES - MORRIS

Miranda
15-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Hm.. looks like I really should turn up to the MCC someday soon :)

Adamski
16-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Michael Baron has convincingly won the 26th Allegro with a round to spare. Michael won his first 6 games and finished with a hard fought draw with Shaun Hose, who won the group A prize. Congratulations, Michael! I have lost count of how many of these MCC allegros you have won. Well done, mate!

MichaelBaron
16-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Congratulations, Michael! I have lost count of how many of these MCC allegros you have won. Well done, mate!

;) :rolleyes: ;)

Grant Szuveges
22-08-2009, 08:30 PM
David Beaumont has won the 27th Allegro with a picket fence score! To wins these tournaments, one has to get past Michael Baron, and that is what David did in round 5, to take the outright lead. David's position was lost, but somehow he managed to get the points... David went on to defeat Douglas Lindberg in round 6 and had finished off Shaun Hose in the final round with a nice sacrificial Kings Indian to achieve the perfect score. baron came second with 6 points and Chris Kolak third with 5 after beating Lindberg in the final round.

The other big news from this tournament was the vast improvement of many of MCCs juniors. Ari Dale can equal third in the tournament with 5/7 and Jack Puccini scored 4.5 points to come fifth. Both kids defeated numerous players higher rated than them. Alexander Van Zyl Smit had a massive tournament with 3.5/7 - pretty good for a player rated 557!!! Michael Van Zyl Smit (rated 559) also played extremely well finishing on 3 points. Both Van Zyl Smits beat players with ratings of double theirs. And finally I must mention youngster Will McGauley, aged only 7, scored 2 points in his first ever tournament! Of the rest, Geoffrey Kolak (Chris' brother) scored 3 points in his first ever tournament also.

7/7 David BEAUMONT
6 Michael BARON
5 Chris KOLAK
5 Ari DALE
4.5 Jack PUCCINI
4 Douglas LINDBERG
4 Shaun HOSE
4 Tony TOSEVSKI
4 Frank LEKKAS
4 Simon KARUMBI
4 Jake KOSTRZEWA
4 Eric LINDBERG
3.5 Bosko TOSEVSKI
3.5 Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
3 Milutin KRUNIC
3 James MACAULAY
3 Max RAUN
3 Finley DALE
3 Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
3 Geoffrey KOLAK
2 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
2 Rion VAN ZYL SMIT
2 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
2 Sreemanth GURRAM
2 Will McGAULEY
.5 Sohith SINGAMSETTI

ER
23-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Congratulations, Michael! I have lost count of how many of these MCC allegros you have won. Well done, mate!
LOL, Jonathan he will now claim you jinxed him! :P

ER
23-08-2009, 12:16 AM
David Beaumont has won the 27th Allegro with a picket fence score! To wins these tournaments, one has to get past Michael Baron, and that is what David did in round 5, to take the outright lead.

On ya Davo!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Hey Kev, careful I told you this guy is unpredictable!!!

Kevin Bonham
23-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey Kev, careful I told you this guy is unpredictable!!!

Only a rapid but impressive all the same.

Grant Szuveges
30-08-2009, 03:16 PM
After missing out last week, Michael Baron was back on top easily winning Allegro 28 with 7/7. The field was a bit smaller and weaker with many of MCCs juniors playing in Nick Specks allegro in the next room, though on the other hand, some of the parents used this chance to play in the MCC allegro!

Baron won the tournament comfortably, sweeping past all opposition. Brian Fitzpatrick looked to be headed toward 2nd after beating Chris Kolak, however in the final round, Brian lost to Ascaro Pecori, who entered the tournament late after taking his car to the mechanic. Ascaro's 4.5/7 was really 3/4 after starting with 3 half point byes. With Brian losing, Chris Kolak and Frank Lekkas jumped in to share equal second with Brian. This is the first time Frank has scored 5 in an allegro, and he did it by winning the final round against his good mate and rival Simon Karumbi. Newcomer from Ireland Eamonn O-Molloy scored 4 points in his first tournament and the Van Zyl Smit kids (Alexander and Michael) continue their improvement scoring 3 points each. Their mother Daniela also scored 3 in her first event and Sam Boyle (whose son Max was playing next door) scored a creditable 2 points in her first ever chess tournament!

7/7 Michael BARON
5 Brian FITZPATRICK
5 Chris KOLAK
5 Frank LEKKAS
4.5 Ascaro PECORI
4 Milutin KRUNIC
4 Tony TOSEVSKI
4 John WILDES
4 Anthony HARRIS
4 Eamonn O - MOLLOY
3.5 Jake KOSTRZEWA
3 Simon KARUMBI
3 James MACAULAY
3 Elizabeth WARREN
3 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
3 Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
3 Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
3 Daniela VAN ZYL SMIT
2 Geoffrey KOLAK
2 Sam BOYLE
1 Karem PECORI

Grant Szuveges
05-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Michael Baron and Ascaro Pecori have tied for first in Allegro 29 after drawing their game against eachother in round 6. Earlier on, Baron had dropped half a point to Chris Kolak in round 4 and Pecori dropped half a point to Krunic in round 3. Chris Kolak came third with 5.5 points, his only loss being to Pecori in round 5. Juniors Ari Dale and Simon Karumbi came equal first in Group A with 4.5 points and Adolph Lekkas (Franks younger brother) won Group B with 4 points. Others to impress were Finley Dale (3.5 points), Ishan Rhodes - Morris (3 points) who caused an upset win in round 3 against Bosko Tosevski and Rafael Pecori (3 points).

6/7 Michael BARON
6 Ascaro PECORI
5.5 Chris KOLAK
4.5 Ian STONE
4.5 Ari DALE
4.5 Simon KARUMBI
4 Rad CHMIEL
4 Milutin KRUNIC
4 Frank LEKKAS
4 Eamonn O - MOLLOY
4 Jake KOSTRZEWA
4 Adolph LEKKAS
3.5 Tony TOSEVSKI
3.5 Shaun HOSE
3.5 Jack PUCCINI
3.5 James MACAULAY
3.5 Finley DALE
3 Bosko TOSEVSKI
3 Ishan RHODES - MORRIS
3 Rafael PECORI
2 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
2 Max RUAN
2 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
2 Sreemanth GURRAM
0 Sherrie RUAN

Grant Szuveges
12-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi everyone

Allegro 30 was a cracker!!! A smallish field participated with many of the juniors playing in Nick Specks transfer tournament, but this meant that there would be more games played between players at the top of the field... The inevitable is finally happened - after nearly 30 attempts, Chris Kolak has finally beaten Michael Baron in an MCC allegro! The big game happened in round 4, but it wasnt the first upset of the event. In the very first round, Ascaro Pecori lost to junior Simon Karumbi. Sydney journalist and "closet grandmaster" Amiel Rosario turned up late (well he did come down from Sydney) and took a half point bye in the first round.... After the big game in round 4, Kolak lost to Pecori meaning that Kolak, Pecori, Baron and Tosevski were all in the lead on 4 points. Next round Baron beat Pecori and Kolak beat Tosevski. While it looked like Baron and Kolak would both win in the last round, the other players had other ideas.... Kolak managed to be 3 pawns down against Krunic but then fought back to be a piece up, only to go wrong later and allow a draw, but on board one, Amiel Rosario played a nice game to convert a pawn up against Baron and thus jumping into equal first! After the game Amiel came up to me an asked "So who won this tournament?" I replied "You did"... Chris Kolak was also happy to win his first of our 30 allegros... Another player to impress was David Brand who won group A with 4.5 points after hardly playing in years. Group B was shared by James Macaulay, Tristan Rayson - Hill, Elizabeth Warren and Alister Macaulay all on 3 points.

5.5/7 Chris KOLAK
5.5 Amiel ROSARIO
5 Michael BARON
5 Ascaro PECORI
4.5 Milutin KRUNIC
4.5 David BRAND
4 Ian STONE
4 Tony TOSEVSKI
4 Shaun HOSE
3.5 Frank LEKKAS
3 Simon KARUMBI
3 Eamonn O - MOLLOY
3 James MACAULAY
3 Triston RAYSON - HILL
3 Elizabeth WARREN
3 Alister MACAULAY
2.5 Sarah ANTON
2 Andrew LOUIS
1 Sam BOYLE
1 Max SIMPSON

Adamski
12-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Wow, sounds like this Allegro was exciting. Well done to Arosar and commisserations to Michael - who still must have won well over 70% of the MCC Allegros ever played!

Kevin Bonham
12-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Nice work Amiel, congratulations. :clap: :clap:

MichaelBaron
13-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Congratulations to Chris and Amiel :clap:

Grant Szuveges
16-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Everyone

This is a call out to all those who play allegro! Please come down to MCC this coming Saturday for allegro!!! I would love to have at least 40 players playing this weekend!!! If you only play in one allegro this year, make it this Saturday!!! If you come from interstate to play allegro once this year (like Amiel did last week), make it this week!!! Contact me via email to enter early at grantszuveges@gmail.com Lets work together to smash our record and get 40 participants!

Grant Szuveges
19-09-2009, 07:34 PM
David Beaumont has won the 31st allegro with 6.5 points. After starting with 3/3, David drew with Chris Kolak in round 4 and then started to steamroll the field defeating Michael Baron, Justin Tan and Ascaro Pecori all in a row to take out the tournament. Michael Baron came second with 6 points and Chris Kolak third with 5.5 points. The biggest upset of the tournament was in round 2 when Alex Kaplan defeated Justin Tan. Alex came equal second in group A, but the group was won by Kai Tan with 4.5 points. Group B was won by Elizabeth Warren with 3.5 points.

6.5/7 David BEAUMONT
6 Michael BARON
5.5 Chris KOLAK
5 Tony TOSEVSKI
4.5 Kai TAN
4 Ascaro PECORI
4 Justin TAN
4 Milutin KRUNIC
4 Frank LEKKAS
4 Alex KAPLAN
4 John WILDES
3.5 Anthony HARRIS
3.5 Elizabeth WARREN
3 Ari DALE
3 Simon KARUMBI
3 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
3 Finley DALE
2.5 Eamonn O - MOLLOY
2.5 Bosko TOSEVSKI
2.5 Max RUAN
2 Ishan RHODES - MORRIS
2 Rafael PECORI
2 Geoffrey KOLAK
1 Sherrie RUAN

2/4 James MACAULAY
1.5/4 Alister MACAULAY

Grant Szuveges
27-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Allegro 32 was always looking like being a small tournament due to the grand final. Michael Baron won the 12 player event with 7/7. Good performances were put in by juniors Finley Dale and Max Ruan who both scored 3.5 points against fields of strong opposition. I couldnt be there to run this allegro so I would like to thank James Macaulay and Michael Baron for the great job they did when running it. I would also like to wish James the best for his 3 month stint in Europe - he leaves on Monday. James has done a lot of MCC over the past 6 months and his contribution will be missed - cant wait til you get back mate!

7/7 Michael BARON
6 Tony TOSEVSKI
4.5 Brian FITZPATRICK
4.5 Frank LEKKAS
3.5 James MACAULAY
3.5 Finley DALE
3.5 Max RUAN
3 Simon KARUMBI
3 Bosko TOSEVSKI
2.5 Ari DALE
1 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
0 Sherrie RUAN

Grant Szuveges
03-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Michael Baron has easily won Allegro 33 with a picket fence score. Baron was so dominating in this tournament that he had won the event with a round to spare. I also couldnt help but notice how quickly Baron can dispose of 1700-1800 type players. His games are often amongst the first finished. His first round opponent Ben Frayle copped a piece sacrifice on f7 in his first tournament game in approximately 10 years!!! While Baron won the event, the surprise packet was Milan Brkljac who jumped into outright second defeating Ari Dale in the final round. Ari caused the upset of the tournament in round 2 when he defeated Ascaro Pecori who was 3 pawns up! In a strange finish, 5 people tied for third on 4.5 points - strange for a 7 round Swiss with 25 players.... Frank Lekkas took home the Group A prize with 4.5 and Ben Frayle took the Group B with 4 points. The kids tended to have a hard time of it today, although Nicholaas Schroeder was very impressive scoring 3 points - mostly against higher rated players.

7/7 Michael BARON
5 Milan BRKLJAC
4.5 Ascaro PECORI
4.5 Chris KOLAK
4.5 Andrew FLETCHER
4.5 Milutin KRUNIC
4.5 Frank LEKKAS
4 Ari DALE
4 David STIMSON
4 Eamonn O - MOLLOY
4 Ben FRAYLE
3.5 Tony TOSEVSKI
3.5 Bosko TOSEVSKI
3.5 Anthony HARRIS
3.5 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
3 Jack PUCCINI
3 Finley DALE
3 Rafael PECORI
3 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
2.5 Elizabeth WARREN
2.5 Max RUAN
2.5 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
2 Geoffrey KOLAK
2 Sreemanth GURRAM
1 Sherrie RUAN

Adamski
03-10-2009, 08:47 PM
It is Groundhog Day. Congrats again to Allegro King Michael Baron! As I said in the shoutbox, he collects Allegro victories. :clap:

Grant Szuveges
11-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Michael Baron has won the 34th MCC allegro with another picket fence score. Chris Kolak came second with 5.5 after having a half point bye in the first round. Rad Chmiel was third with John Wildes and Bosko Tosevski sharing first in the B group. Another player to have a wonderful tournament was MCC junior Nicholaas Schroeder who scored 50% despite being the second bottom seed. His MCC Allegro rating should have another huge jump again this week. The tournament was a bit smaller this week due to many regulars missing in order to represent MCC at the Quad Cup. See you all next week for Allegro 35!

7/7 Michael BARON
5.5 Chris KOLAK
5 Rad CHMIEL
4 Shaun HOSE
4 John WILDES
4 Bosko TOSEVSKI
3.5 Milutin KRUNIC
3.5 Tony TOSEVSKI
3.5 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
3 Anthony HARRIS
3 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
2 Elizabeth WARREN
1.5 Sreemanth GURRAM
1 Eric PEARCE

2/4 Milan BRKLJAC

Adamski
11-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Congrats again to Michael. How many of these tournaments have you won now, MB?

ER
12-10-2009, 05:43 AM
According to my statistical tables he has won it 24 times outright and shared 1st place three times. I also believe he won prizes in all allegros he has participated so far this year (I have to check on that)!

Adamski
12-10-2009, 06:38 AM
According to my statistical tables he has won it 24 times outright and shared 1st place three times. I also believe he won prizes in all allegros he has participated so far this year (I have to check on that)!That is so very impressive, Michael. :clap: :clap:

MichaelBaron
12-10-2009, 12:07 PM
According to my statistical tables he has won it 24 times outright and shared 1st place three times. I also believe he won prizes in all allegros he has participated so far this year (I have to check on that)!

Wow, I did not realise you having all the cross-tables! I think i did win a prize in all of the allegros and blitz tournaments. However, I have a feeling fewer of my victories have been outright.

ER
12-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I have a feeling fewer of my victories have been outright.
Your feeling is wrong, my facts are right! :P:owned:

MichaelBaron
17-10-2009, 10:02 AM
See you at 2 pm everyone!

Grant Szuveges
17-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Im trying to come up with some more creative headlines for when Michael Baron wins allegros, and he has done it again this week in Allegro 35. Michael dominated this tournament winning six of his games and drawing in round 4 with Chris Kolak. Kolak also played well scoring 4 wins and 3 draws to finish second on 5.5 points. Kolaks wins included his round 3 win against second seed David Beaumont. Krunic came third with 4.5 points. Ascaro Pecori was also amongst the leaders but had to withdraw after round 5 - his score was 3.5 points. Anthony Harris won the B group prize with 4/7 with Simon Karumbi and Adolph Lekkas coming equal second with 3.5 points. Another nice thing about this tournament was how competitive every player was - with everybody winning at least one game.

6.5/7 Michael BARON
5.5 Chris KOLAK
4.5 Milutin KRUNIC
4 David BEAUMONT
4 Bosko MIJATOVIC
4 Milan BRKLJAC
4 Shaun HOSE
4 Anthony HARRIS
3.5 Tony TOSEVSKI
3.5 Frank LEKKAS
3.5 Simon KARUMBI
3.5 Adolph LEKKAS
3 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
3 Elizabeth WARREN
2 Bosko TOSEVSKI
2 Geoffrey KOLAK
2 Sam BOYLE
2 Ray MURPHY

Garvinator
17-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Maybe you need to run a loser point rapid or blitz to stop The Baron. He really does seem to have the right last name for MCC rapids ;)

Basil
17-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Im trying to come up with some more creative headlines for when Michael Baron wins allegros,
The headline doesn't have to be about the winner of course. The headline should relate to the main news item.
Man bites dog.
Gunner finally gets a win (a match, not a tourn).
Smith self-destructs in battle of 1500s
Mary upsets last week's champ.
Newcomer says ...

Metro
17-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Maybe you need to run a loser point rapid or blitz to stop The Baron.
Perhaps a bonus for a win against MB is worth a trial.How about a pizza?:D

ER
17-10-2009, 09:23 PM
The real Mr Allegro of the MCC Series is David Baumont and and not Michael Baron!
Actually, Michael Baron and David Baumont have met 4 times in the Allegro 2009 Series at the Melbourne Chess Club.
David has two wins, Michael one and one game ended in a draw! David has achieved those results having participated in 5 Allegro competitions at the MCC this year.
Now another important statistic:
David Baumont as we 've already pointed out, has participated in 5 Allegros this year.
He has won 2 outright firsts, one equal first one second and one equal fourth.
That is an incredibly high strike rate!
It is clear that the only player who has a chance to dethrone Michael in 2010 (ceteris paribus of course ie more or less the same participants,) is David Baumont provided he participates in equal number of Allegros as Michael next year!

Kevin Bonham
17-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Michael's average strike rate in terms of wins per tournaments contested would still be better though, wouldn't it? And even if it wasn't, David's sample size is small. I don't think the head-to-heads from four games, while impressive, show he would do better on a consistent basis. Good performance relative to rating though.

ER
17-10-2009, 09:43 PM
The sample is definitely small but gives a consistent pattern. My calculations are based on the fact that in the tournaments they both participate David does much better overall! Michael does well in almost all the other allegro tournaments!
(Ed) Oh I forgot to mention that in today's Allegro they did not play against each other!

Grant Szuveges
18-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Oh I forgot to mention that in today's Allegro they did not play against each other!

Just out of interest JAK, how on earth did you know that??? (yes, its true)

MichaelBaron
18-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Its not my fault that we did not get to play, I kept waiting for David on board 1... :)

Saragossa
18-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Chandler was not better than Kasparov. The achievement per the rating gap is impressive but that will get ironed out the more they play.

Rhubarb
18-10-2009, 05:13 PM
See you at 2 pm everyone!

No, you won't.

Look, I couldn't really care less about Michael Baron if his sinecure is beating up players rated 200-1000 points lower than himself.

But the online version of Michael Baron is that of a stupid selfish coward who hardly ever plays amongst his erstwhile peers, is highly critical of administrators, and yet is the worst ACF administrator on record, without the slightest clue of how much work is involved.

Meanwhile, he will only lift a finger if there's the possibility of him getting pecuniary reward. He doesn't have the courage to do anything besides shoot his mouth off, and would be killed the second he ventured into open company (by that I mean a Masters tournament) these days.

This joke of a player gives us real FMs a bad name!

Greg Canfell

ER
18-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Just out of interest JAK, how on earth did you know that??? (yes, its true)

1) Not just a pretty face! :P:lol:
2) I started this bloody thread, I ought to know what's in it! :P:lol:
3) Not an SBS producer for nothing! :P:lol:
4) I know MCC's phone No by heart! :P:lol:

MichaelBaron
18-10-2009, 07:00 PM
No, you won't.

Look, I couldn't really care less about Michael Baron if his sinecure is beating up players rated 200-1000 points lower than himself.

But the online version of Michael Baron is that of a stupid selfish coward who hardly ever plays amongst his erstwhile peers, is highly critical of administrators, and yet is the worst ACF administrator on record, without the slightest clue of how much work is involved.

Meanwhile, he will only lift a finger if there's the possibility of him getting pecuniary reward. He doesn't have the courage to do anything besides shoot his mouth off, and would be killed the second he ventured into open company (by that I mean a Masters tournament) these days.

Greg Canfell

LOL, I am as real FM as you are. In fact I believe we used to play in the same tournaments. I can recall losing to you in one round robin Masters event and winning in another one!

I played you in Aus Masters twice. My best result is 4th place 0.5 short of IM norm I believe. As far as I remember you also played in the that tournament and won our individual game. Can not remember what your overall result was...but would it be good I would probably remember. Other Masters event we played, I think I beat you...but finished behind you and you were the one nearly getting an IM norm. Anyway, good question is why would you care and why would I care?

I got my title by getting my rating over 2300 just like you did. Lately, I have not been playing at big events much, my last big tournament was last year's Elwood Bendigo Weekender. At the chess club where i play (and lately I have been playing mainly at MCC events) I am trying to do my modest bit to contribute to the chess environment. I think I have made it quite transparent, I have no intention to get involved with ACF or with CV.

Am I joke of a player? I am simply trying to play my best..its not my fault that i only play at a certain level. When asked why i am not an IM, I always answer honestly - I am not good enough :(. I have not been playing much competitive chess recently, so should i come out of semi-retirement just to prove a point to you? And do I really care what you think of me? I am comfortable with myself...I hardly drink (at least I never turned up to a chess tournament drunk :) or with a hangover), do not smoke, keep trying to master new things such as yoga, dancing etc as well as spending some time with my old passions such as chess..What is there for me to worry about?

Some people get worried, when others start personal attacks on them..I do not ;).

MichaelBaron
18-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Chandler was not better than Kasparov. The achievement per the rating gap is impressive but that will get ironed out the more they play.

Come on guys, stop pulling our (David's and mine) legs. David and myself are not Chandler and Kasparov..we just like playing blitz against each other socially..and fight it out in allegros occasionally.

On a serious note, David's uncompromising style has brought him alot of victory over significantly higher-rated players over the years. At one point (I think it was about 12 years ago or so) he beat me 3 times in a row.

Rhubarb
18-10-2009, 07:40 PM
LOL, I am as real FM as you are. I never suggested you weren't a real FM - I just said you were a joke these days.

In fact I believe we used to play in the same tournaments. I can recall losing to you in one round robin Masters event and winning in another one!

I played you in Aus Masters twice. My best result is 4th place 0.5 short of IM norm I believe. As far as I remember you also played in the that tournament and won our individual game. Can not remember what your overall result was...but would it be good I would probably remember. Other Masters event we played, I think I beat you...but finished behind you and you were the one nearly getting an IM norm. Anyway, good question is why would you care and why would I care?

I don't care, as i know you're a joke these days, but the point is you seem to think you're superior to other "real" FMs.

I think I have made it quite transparent, I have no intention to get involved with ACF or with CV.

You were the worst ACF administrator ever, so that's hardly surprising. You just think you have a blank cheque to criticise for some reason..

Am I joke of a player? I am simply trying to play my best..its not my fault that i only play at a certain level. When asked why i am not an IM, I always answer honestly - I am not good enough :(. I have not been playing much competitive chess recently, so should i come out of semi-retirement just to prove a point to you? And do I really care what you think of me? I am comfortable with myself...I hardly drink (at least I never turned up to a chess tournament drunk :) or with a hangover), do not smoke, keep trying to master new things such as yoga, dancing etc as well as spending some time with my old passions such as chess..What is there for me to worry about? Some of those comments could be viewed as personal attacks, but you don't even have the guts to do that - just innuendo and suggestion.

Some people get worried, when others start personal attacks on them..I do not ;).You constantly make veiled, niggling attacks on the administration of the Australian Chess Federation (and its relation to FIDE), and don't have the courage to actually do anything meaningful yourself. When a coward like you is allowed to do this for several years, eventually someone has to respond, and, when responding to an individual, to make it personal.

MichaelBaron
18-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I never suggested you weren't a real FM - I just said you were a joke these days.

I don't care, as i know you're a joke these days, but the point is you seem to think you're superior to other "real" FMs.

You were the worst ACF administrator ever, so that's hardly surprising. You just think you have a blank cheque to criticise for some reason..

Some of those comments could be viewed as personal attacks, but you don't even have the guts to do that - just innuendo and suggestion.

You constantly make veiled, niggling attacks on the administration of the Australian Chess Federation (and its relation to FIDE), and don't have the courage to actually do anything meaningful yourself. When a coward like you is allowed to do this for several years, eventually someone has to respond, and, when responding to an individual, to make it personal.

1) I never claimed I was superior to Real FMs. Furthermore, I always claimed there are some stronger ones! I am just one of the many.
2) I have courage to do things that I like and I feel are of benefit to people/organisations/causes I care for
3) I never saw you drunk at a chess tournament therefore i feel it is inappropriate for me to say explicitly that it was the case. This is one of those stories that have been traveling around for a while but i do not even remember who told me this..as it was many years ago. I feel that i have no right to accuse you in doing something that i neither witnessed myself nor have clear evidence of. Would i say this I would be totally wrong! Therefore, i would rather stick to the facts i know for sure and talk about myself. I do not know you well (same as you do not know me well) so you can not expect me to talk about you as a person.

Grant Szuveges
18-10-2009, 09:27 PM
1) Not just a pretty face! :P:lol:
2) I started this bloody thread, I ought to know what's in it! :P:lol:
3) Not an SBS producer for nothing! :P:lol:
4) I know MCC's phone No by heart! :P:lol:

Totally as I suspected! JAK is right on the ball as always.

If I (or the MCC) ever start a tv show called the Chess Show (based on the AFL or NRL footy shows) JAK will have to come on regularly as the roving reporter.

I will even go as far as declaring JAK "The Craig Hutchison of Victorian chess". When it comes to chess reporting, he is the best in the business and we are proud to have him as an MCC member!

We should try to get some live updates from the allegro each Saturday, but (as in all spectator sports) it would be great if more people come down and watch the games live!

Keep up the good work JAK

Rhubarb
18-10-2009, 09:34 PM
1) I never claimed I was superior to Real FMs. Furthermore, I always claimed there are some stronger ones! I am just one of the many.
2) I have courage to do things that I like and I feel are of benefit to people/organisations/causes I care for
3) I never saw you drunk at a chess tournament therefore i feel it is inappropriate for me to say explicitly that it was the case. This is one of those stories that have been traveling around for a while but i do not even remember who told me this..as it was many years ago. I feel that i have no right to accuse you in doing something that i neither witnessed myself nor have clear evidence of. Would i say this I would be totally wrong! Therefore, i would rather stick to the facts i know for sure and talk about myself. I do not know you well (same as you do not know me well) so you can not expect me to talk about you as a person.
You make 3 "points" that have nothing to do with anything - that is typical of your cowardice and failure to stand up for your own niggling abuse. Nevertheless, to answer your 3 points in order:
1) You constantly hassle Zonal FMs for a simultaneous match in an obvious insult. So are you a real FM and are they not? When called on it, you'll just say you're kidding.
2) Bully for you, but you're on a chess forum and all I see is your constant criticism of state and national administrators, and your nauseating acceptance of the fawning in relation to MCC club and quickplay events.
3) You actually believe this ruse is clever? For the record, and regardless of whether or not I ever turn turned up to a tournament drunk or sober, one thing is certain: you will always turn up to tournaments selfish and stupid.

MichaelBaron
18-10-2009, 10:33 PM
You make 3 "points" that have nothing to do with anything - that is typical of your cowardice and failure to stand up for your own niggling abuse. Nevertheless, to answer your 3 points in order:
1) You constantly hassle Zonal FMs for a simultaneous match in an obvious insult. So are you a real FM and are they not? When called on it, you'll just say you're kidding.
2) Bully for you, but you're on a chess forum and all I see is your constant criticism of state and national administrators, and your nauseating acceptance of the fawning in relation to MCC club and quickplay events.
3) You actually believe this ruse is clever? For the record, and regardless of whether or not I ever turn turned up to a tournament drunk or sober, one thing is certain: you will always turn up to tournaments selfish and stupid.

1) I am a real FM and they are not! Lets make it clear...whoever reached 2300 fide is a real FM and whoever got it ''Soft'' - in my opinion is not till he finally gets his rating to 2300. I think i expressed my opinion on this matter many many times....!
2) I criticize whoever I choose and proud to support the club i am a member of! I wish i could play in more MCC events. I played some weekenders and last year I played at MCC open. Next year if only i do not have to play monday nights - will try to play MCC championship.
3) Here you go :) Looks like you are running out of intelligent responses :). By the way...you never turned up to a chess tournament drunk, right? I am pretty sure you never did..just confirming.

Anyway Greg, relax :). No point discussing the soft titles matter once again...i think everyone clearly knows our opinions about it already! Nor there is any point arguing about our lifestyles...and calling each other stupid. I like yoga, meditation etc. you like what you like.

The key point is...You feel i should not be criticizing ACF etc when i do not agree with what they are doing...why not? I am entitled to my opinion just like you are entitled to yours!

ER
18-10-2009, 10:37 PM

If I (or the MCC) ever start a tv show called the Chess Show (based on the AFL or NRL footy shows) JAK will have to come on regularly as the roving reporter.

I will even go as far as declaring JAK "The Craig Hutchison of Victorian chess". When it comes to chess reporting, he is the best in the business and we are proud to have him as an MCC member!

We should try to get some live updates from the allegro each Saturday, but (as in all spectator sports) it would be great if more people come down and watch the games live!

IF we don't get it to 40 entries at least once during the remaining Saturdays to the end of the year, I will contribute $50.00 to the building fund, (that's the Melbourne Chess Club Building Fund) if we do I will contribute $100.00!

MichaelBaron
18-10-2009, 10:39 PM

Not just watch ..but play as well! It is great to see kids and there parents playing alongside each other. Also, it is a pleasure to see new players embracing chess as well as playing and chatting to those, i first met in 1991 (year of my arrival to Australia) I can recall playing some of the current MCC members back in 1991.

Grant Szuveges
18-10-2009, 10:52 PM
IF we don't get it to 40 entries at least once during the remaining Saturdays to the end of the year, I will contribute $50.00 to the building fund, if we do I will contribute $100.00!

There you go people!!! Here is a challenge for all players in Melbourne - lets all try to raise this $100. All you have to be is come and play in an MCC allegro (all at the same time). We have been close - I think the record is 34 players, so I think we can get there.

If someone had told me in February that by October we would be attracting these sorts of numbers, I wouldnt have believed them - so it is a credit to all of the players who are turning up to play.

And (as Michael said), it is great to see the parents playing alongside there kids. Sam Boyle (Max Simpsons mother) had a nice win in the final round this weekend and is continuing to improve every week.

Kevin Bonham
20-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Come on guys, stop pulling our (David's and mine) legs. David and myself are not Chandler and Kasparov..we just like playing blitz against each other socially..and fight it out in allegros occasionally.

Think you missed the point there, which was simply that A having a good score against B over a small number of games does not mean A is better than B. Chandler v Kasparov was the example used but it could just have easily been some 1000 rated player who is 2-1 up vs some 1400 or so.

MichaelBaron
20-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Think you missed the point there, which was simply that A having a good score against B over a small number of games does not mean A is better than B. Chandler v Kasparov was the example used but it could just have easily been some 1000 rated player who is 2-1 up vs some 1400 or so.

Kevin, I know but i just found such a comparison funny.

Paul Cavezza
21-10-2009, 11:06 AM
No, you won't.

Greg Canfell

Psycho. You don't need any help getting a bad name!

Ignore that guy Michele, personally I think you do a lot for the MCC and I bet there are many players that participate in the allegro all the more for knowing you'll be playing on a saturday.

As for being a real FM... hehe... pretty sure 10 years of consistent chess and a FM's rating is tough to fake..

MichaelBaron
24-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Want to brush up your skills before the MCC weekender? in Need of free babysitting service for your kids? Then MCC is the place to be today!

Allegro at 2 pm today as always! See you there!

Grant Szuveges
24-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Michael Baron has won Allegro 36 over a fairly strong field. Michaels only draw came in round 3 against Chris Kolak. Kolak continued his good form by defeating Ascaro Pecori and then drawing with Dimitri Partsi but then in round 6 came the biggest upset of the day... Kolak was coasting along 2 pieces up against Adolph Lekkas, when he underestimated the power of a passed pawn. The pawn ended up promoting allowing Adolph to produced a brilliant upset and move into =2nd place going into the final round. In the last round Baron defeated Partsi and Pecori defeated Adolph Lekkas to take a share of second with Kolak. Adolph easily won the B section with 5 players sharing =2nd in B with 3 points...

6.5/7 Michael BARON
5 Ascaro PECORI
5 Chris KOLAK
4.5 Dimitri PARTSI
4.5 Adolph LEKKAS
4 Tony TOSEVSKI
4 Frank LEKKAS
4 Simon KARUMBI
4 John WILDES
3.5 Milutin KRUNIC
3 Anthony HARRIS
3 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
3 Elizabeth WARREN
3 Alexander VAN ZYL SMIT
3 Daniella VAN ZYL SMIT
2 Rafael PECORI
1 Michael VAN ZYL SMIT
0 Geoffrey KOLAK

Lekko
25-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Want to brush up your skills before the MCC weekender? in Need of free babysitting service for your kids? Then MCC is the place to be today!

Allegro at 2 pm today as always! See you there!
Now that is a plug! :)

Rhubarb
31-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Psycho. You don't need any help getting a bad name!

Ignore that guy Michele, personally I think you do a lot for the MCC and I bet there are many players that participate in the allegro all the more for knowing you'll be playing on a saturday.

As for being a real FM... hehe... pretty sure 10 years of consistent chess and a FM's rating is tough to fake..
Thanks for making zero attempt to understand the issues. From your point of view, if I'm a "Psycho" it's lucky I don't have any idea who you are nor could I be bothered finding out.

Anyway, I have been in correspondence with Grant (who was very diplomatic and better explained Michael's point of view) and I will respond on different threads rather than infecting this one.

MichaelBaron
02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for making zero attempt to understand the issues. From your point of view, if I'm a "Psycho" it's lucky I don't have any idea who you are nor could I be bothered finding out.

Anyway, I have been in correspondence with Grant (who was very diplomatic and better explained Michael's point of view) and I will respond on different threads rather than infecting this one.

Shirty, may be you too can consider being more diplomatic and my responses will also become considerably nicer :)

Grant Szuveges
02-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Vladimir Smirnov and Michael Baron have tied for first in Allegro 37 with 6 points each. Smirnov won their individual encounter in round 4 but then lost the very next round to Sylvester Urban who finished third with 5 points. Visitor from Finland Pekka Pellikka tied for first in the B group with Ben Frayle on 4 points. MCCs juniors all continue their improvement with Nic Schroeder scoring 50%, Sreemanth Gurram defeating Elizabeth Warren (rated 500 points higher than him) and Tom Hanson playing in his first ever allegro defeating Bosko Tosevski (rated 1370)... Pretty good for a first tournament ever!!!

6/7 Vladimir SMIRNOV
6/7 Michael BARON
5 Sylvester URBAN
4.5 Douglas LINDBERG
4 Milutin KRUNIC
4 Tony TOSEVSKI
4 Ben FRAYLE
4 Pekka PELLIKKA
3.5 Eric LINDBERG
3.5 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
3 Adolph LEKKAS
3 Bosko TOSEVSKI
2 Sreemanth GURRAM
1.5 Elizabeth WARREN
1.5 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
1 Tom HANSON

ER
03-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Hi Grant we have quite a few Sats till the end of the year for the Allegro to reach that elusive 40 player entry (and my $100.00 donation for the event)! How about making a goal for the last Allegro of 2009 to be a real special one combined with surprize events, prizes, Xmas raffle, social events, food and other festivities... I know you must be planning something, just rminding you!

MichaelBaron
06-11-2009, 06:50 PM
2 pm tomorrow ! Another Grand allegro at MCC! SEe you there!

bobby1972
06-11-2009, 07:36 PM
hey michael say being conservative

say winning 40 allegros a year at say a profit of $40.00 after entry

thats 40 X 40 = $1600.00

you are making more from chess than most thats $1600.00 tax free

to quote you " what a nice little income stream":clap:

Lekko
06-11-2009, 09:07 PM

thats 40 X 40 = $1600.00

He's rolling in the money.

ER
06-11-2009, 11:37 PM

thats 40 X 40 = $1600.00

Hey Ascaro how much truth is in the rumour that Michael is preparing a surprise in the form of a substantial donation to the MCC as recognition for the prizes he has won so far?

Adamski
06-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Vladimir Smirnov and Michael Baron have tied for first in Allegro 37 with 6 points each. Smirnov won their individual encounter in round 4 but then lost the very next round to Sylvester Urban who finished third with 5 points. Visitor from Finland Pekka Pellikka tied for first in the B group with Ben Frayle on 4 points. MCCs juniors all continue their improvement with Nic Schroeder scoring 50%, Sreemanth Gurram defeating Elizabeth Warren (rated 500 points higher than him) and Tom Hanson playing in his first ever allegro defeating Bosko Tosevski (rated 1370)... Pretty good for a first tournament ever!!!

6/7 Vladimir SMIRNOV
6/7 Michael BARON
5 Sylvester URBAN
4.5 Douglas LINDBERG
4 Milutin KRUNIC
4 Tony TOSEVSKI
4 Ben FRAYLE
4 Pekka PELLIKKA
3.5 Eric LINDBERG
3.5 Nicholaas SCHROEDER
3 Adolph LEKKAS
3 Bosko TOSEVSKI
2 Sreemanth GURRAM
1.5 Elizabeth WARREN
1.5 Sohith SINGAMSETTI
1 Tom HANSONCongrats to both winners, Good to see Vlad keeping himself in practice while his son and the rest slugged it out in the MCC Cup Weekender.

Lekko
07-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Hey Ascaro how much truth is in the rumour that Michael is preparing a surprise in the form of a substantial donation to the MCC as recognition for the prizes he has won so far?
Indeed, he'll be paying our entries into the tournament tomorrow! Make sure you're there! :D

ER
07-11-2009, 12:05 AM
I have the Vic reserves at Elwood tomorrow :(

MichaelBaron
07-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Indeed, he'll be paying our entries into the tournament tomorrow! Make sure you're there! :D

Someone is day-dreaming :).

See you 2 pm everyone! Lets make the Allegro big and nice. As for fundraising for MCC I do have a plan..that will hopefully be revealed soon...:)

ER
07-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Someone is day-dreaming
lol I wonder who that is!

See you 2 pm everyone! Lets make the Allegro big and nice. :clap:

As for fundraising for MCC I do have a plan..that will hopefully be revealed soon...:)
That's also great news!! :clap:

ER
07-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Now since it's my turn to put my money where my silly mouth is I repeat:

Hi Grant we have quite a few Sats till the end of the year for the Allegro to reach that elusive 40 player entry (and my $100.00 donation for the event)!

C'mon boys and girls, I know $100.00 ain't megabucks but it's something! LET'S DO IT FOR THE CLUB!!!

Grant Szuveges
10-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Sorry that Im so late at posting this...

Michael Baron and Chris Kolak have tied for first in Allegro 38. Baron was in the box seat to win the tournament but lost the final round to Tony Tosevski which allowed Chris to jump in to equal first. Laurence Matheson was third - in his first MCC Allegro.

5.5/7 Michael BARON
5.5 Chris KOLAK
5 Laurence MATHESON
4.5 Brian FITZPATRICK
4 Tony TOSEVSKI
4 Adoph LEKKAS
4 Eamonn O - MOLLOY
3.5 Bosko TOSEVSKI
3.5 Chris ZUCCALA
3 Milutin KRUNIC
3 Frank LEKKAS
3 Simon KARUMBI
3 Endre SIMON
2 Alister MACAULAY
1.5 Elizabeth WARREN
.5 Tristan RAYSON - HILL
3/4 Ascaro PECORI
2.5/5 Joerg WALLMUELLER

Please note that the MCC Allegro Championship will run over the weekend of the 21st and 22nd of November. It will be like the regular allegro, but will be held over both Saturday and Sunday afternoon. If people want to play only on the Saturday, approved withdrawals are on offer. For more details, call me on 0401-925-075.

Adamski
10-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Once again, congrats to the co-winners!:clap:

ER
10-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Please note that the MCC Allegro Championship will run over the weekend of the 21st and 22nd of November. It will be like the regular allegro, but will be held over both Saturday and Sunday afternoon. If people want to play only on the Saturday, approved withdrawals are on offer. For more details, call me on 0401-925-075.

I know that this has been announced before, but since the time of the
MCC ALLEGRO CHAMPIONSHIP
is approaching, can we please have a proper announcement with all the details available?

Grant Szuveges
14-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Big new in from round 1 of the Allegro 39! Frank Lekkas has beaten Michael Baron in round 1 with an Exchange French!!! Laurence Matheson is the current leader with 3/3 with Chris Kolak breathing down his neck with 2.5