PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Chess Club: A New Era!

ER
06-02-2009, 02:03 PM
The dawn of a new era is already obvious in the faces of the President Grant Szuveges, his Committee, the members (old and new) of the Club as well as the Club itself.
I know there are other related threads about the Club and its activities. However, this thread symbolises the beginning of Melbourne Chess Club's new direction, based upon new ideas and new practices.
I want to make it very clear that, as I have been appointed and isntructed by Mr Grant Szuveges, here I will be posting MCC's announcements, statements, circulars etc STRICTLY as they are authorised by the President and his Committee.
That doesn't mean that the thread does not encourage active discussion and participation on behalf of the Forum's members. On the contrary, every opinion, is welcomed and will be taken under serious consideration by the MCC Committee. After all the President himself, pointed out to me that listening to members of the Club and the chess community is one of his priorities.
Elliott Renzies

ER
06-02-2009, 02:23 PM
MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB BUILDING FUND

The Melbourne Chess Club needs to raise money for its building fund in order to renovate the toilets, install air conditioning, renovate the kitchen, lay new carpet etc...

All donations to the building fund are valuable and will go towards the improvement of our Club's facilities.

Anyone who donates $50 or more the building fund, will have their name engraved on a vacant square on our chessboard displayed in the clubrooms at 66 Leicester St. Fitzroy. The board currently has 23 vacant squares waiting to have your name on them! The h7 square is still available for any Bishop sacrificers!!! By donating $50 or more, you will be remembered as an important part of our club's history and future generations will see your name engraved on one of the squares on our board.

Donations, no matter how big or small are much appreciated. For more information, please call 0401-925-075 and I will speak with you personally.

MCC President and FIDE Master,
Grant Szuveges

ER
06-02-2009, 02:55 PM
MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB BUILDING FUND

RAFFLE!

In order to raise money for our building fund, the Melbourne Chess Club has organised a raffle with a very, very, very nice first prize.

TEN or Melbourne's best coaches have each donated one hour of their time so that the winner of the raffle will win 10 hours of coaching! The winner will receive one (1) hour of coaching from each of the coaches listed below:

GM Darryl Johansen
IM Guy West
IM Leonid Sandler
IM Robert Jamieson
IM Nick Speck
FM Michael Baron
FM Bill Jordan
FM Grant Szuveges
Malcolm Pyke
Carl Gorka

BUT WAIT! This is only the list so far! More coaches may also donate their time so the winner may receive more than the 10 hours currently advertised. Each coaching hour will be arranged by the Melbourne Chess Club at a time convenient to the winner and the coach.

Raffle tickets cost only $2.00 per ticket, so please support this raffle and give yourself the chance to win 10 hours of coaching, from some great coaches.

For mor information, or to purchase tickets, please call Grant Szuveges (MCC President) on 0401-925-075. The raffle will be drawn prior to the final round of the MCC Championship on April 6th at 7pm at the

MCC (66 Leicester St. Fitzroy).

MichaelBaron
06-02-2009, 05:09 PM
And hopefully (and this time i am confident it will happen!) many more tournaments will be held!

Spiny Norman
06-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Great initiative from the club and the coaches ... congratulations to all involved.

Can I ask a question? What format does the coaching take? Face-to-face? Is there capability to offer this to interstate or overseas participants? If so, a great deal more money might be raised by broadening the target audience. If not possible, no harm done!

MichaelBaron
06-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Great initiative from the club and the coaches ... congratulations to all involved.

Can I ask a question? What format does the coaching take? Face-to-face? Is there capability to offer this to interstate or overseas participants? If so, a great deal more money might be raised by broadening the target audience. If not possible, no harm done!

Not sure about other coaches, but i will be happy to deliver mine via the Internet if necessary. I am already doing a lot of online coaching so it will not be a problem.

ER
07-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the responses so far, keep on coming with questions, suggestions!
The Club, will gladly answer all questions and will announce new initiatives! Carl Gorka received an enthusiastic applause tonight at the Box Hill Chess Club when he announced the RAFFLE thing... Trevor Stanning who presented Carl, described this move by the MCC as a unique opportunity for the lucky winner and encouraged all to buy tickets!!!

Metro
07-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the responses so far, keep on coming with questions, suggestions!
The Club, will gladly answer all questions and will announce new initiatives! Carl Gorka received an enthusiastic applause tonight at the Box Hill Chess Club when he announced the RAFFLE thing... Trevor Stanning who presented Carl, described this move by the MCC as a unique opportunity for the lucky winner and encouraged all to buy tickets!!!
You are a very enthusiastic fellow ,Elliott.There's a job waiting for you at CV;)

ER
07-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Don't you worry about it, Met, you have escaped a couple of times, there is no third mate! ;)
Now, have you bought your RAFFLE tickets yet, I 've paid for mine but I am going to receive them on Monday!
See you at the Club ok?

Metro
07-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Don't you worry about it, Met, you have escaped a couple of times, there is no third mate! ;)
Now, have you bought your RAFFLE tickets yet, I 've paid for mine but I am going to receive them on Monday!
See you at the Club ok?
I don't gamble(that includes raffles)however a donation is not out of the question:D

ER
07-02-2009, 05:59 PM
It is NOT GAMBLING since it does not involve monetary gain or loss, it is for a great cause and the prize is in mine as in others' opinion, UNIQUE!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Metro
07-02-2009, 06:08 PM
It is NOT GAMBLING since it does not involve monetary gain or loss, it is for a great cause and the prize is in mine as in others' opinion, UNIQUE!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I don't agree however this is off topic:)

ER
07-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I beg your pardon, your (potential) donation is most welcome and not off topic at all!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Metro
08-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't agree however this is off topic:)
I am speaking of gambling=off-topic.

ER
08-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Stuff the gambling! :P I am speaking of the donation = very much on topic! ;)

ER
09-02-2009, 03:52 AM
A number of important visits to other clubs as well as participation in the CV AGM, were conducted by the President of the MCC Grant Szuveges during the last week.
It has also being brought to my attention that Grant's amongst other current plans are included talks with ACF
More detailed report later.

ER
16-02-2009, 05:11 AM
As the President of the Melbourne Chess Club Grant Szuveges announces

we have finally made our first $1000 for the building fund!!!!! We achieved this in less than 2 weeks!!! But keep the money coming in because although the first $1000 is a good start, we need more to get our building renovated - so keep the money coming in...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Watto
16-02-2009, 08:46 AM
As the President of the Melbourne Chess Club Grant Szuveges announces

we have finally made our first $1000 for the building fund!!!!! We achieved this in less than 2 weeks!!! But keep the money coming in because although the first $1000 is a good start, we need more to get our building renovated - so keep the money coming in...

:clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: A worthy cause. Itís nice to have some good news down here in Victoria.
Grant and the new committee are coming up with some great initiativesÖ :)

MichaelBaron
17-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Does MCC want to hold a bushfire fund-raising simul? If yes, i am happy to give it!

MichaelBaron
20-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Allegro is on Tomorrow! Do not miss it!

ER
21-02-2009, 03:55 AM
When I started this thread some weeks ago, I. like other old and new members of the MCC, was surprised to be called back to the Club to join a revolution in order to bring the Melbourne Chess Club back to the place it deserves in our Chess Community.
Surprised, because the events that changed and will continue to change the face of the Club were breath taking, sudden and dramatic...

The truth and nothing but the truth about...

Shocking details
Reasons that led to the revolution
How it happened
Who was the main moving force behind the events
Plans for the present and future

In the Grant Szuveges Interview

soon to be published here

MichaelBaron
21-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Shocking details
Reasons that led to the revolution
How it happened
Who was the main moving force behind the events
Plans for the present and future

In the Grant Szuveges Interview

soon to be published here

Wow! :clap: Looking forward to it!

ER
21-02-2009, 12:23 PM
As we promised a few hours ago, an extensive no holds harred interview with the new President of the Melbourne Chess Club Grant Szuveges is published here. Due to its extensive nature, the interview will be published in parts.
In the first part we begin with questions about the Chess career of FM Grant Szuveges.

Ok letís now start from the beginningÖ When did you first realise that Chess was going to play a major part in your life?

Probably when I was 16 or 17. I loved playing chess and was fairly directionless in other areas. All I wanted to do was finish school and then play chess. I didnt want to go to uni or anything, just play chess. I had started playing competitively when I was 14 or 15 and I just became obsessed with it...

Who were your Chess idols when you started playing serious Chess? who are your favourite players now?

I didnít really have any chess idols when I first started out. I didnt really know how to study the game properly and I kind of idolised certain openings instead of players themselves! Petrosian was probably the first player I really liked, but that was because he played the Caro Kann Defence. Undoubtedly though, his games have influenced my playing style. These days I doní
t really have any favourite players on the world stage as I havenít played or followed chess for 9 years. When I quit playing, my favourite player was Portisch - followed by Kasparov, Yusupov and Tal. (I like dynamic players)...

Who was your first Chess mentor?

Darryl Johansen. I had had dribs and drabs of coaching from various other people, but it was only after getting to know Darryl that my chess significantly improved. He was the perfect coach/mentor for me because he saw the world in a similar sort of way to me and we share the same sort of humour. He wasnít given many free rides as a kid and achieved what he did through hard work. I respected this and worked harder at my own game. I strongly believe that when choosing a coach, one must choose someone who they get along well with as a person - its not all about chess. You canít play well for someone who you donít respect. You need someone who understands the way you think and is supportive. I remember one time when I agreed to a draw knowing I was better (against a strong player) after Iíd had a huge fight with my girlfriend. Darryl totally understood and never judged me for it. These things build trust between player and coach...

Did you grow up in Chess playing surroundings?

Compared to the kids these days, not at all!!! In those days chess was very different! I learned the rules from my father when I was 4 or 5 but never played seriously until I was 14 or 15. My sister Narelle was more into it from when I was 12 or 13 (she was 10 or 11). I got into it because of her really...

How much support did you have by your family?

Very little. My childhood wasnít much chop really. They were supportive later on though when I was an adult and already a strong player. When I went and lived in Amsterdam in 2000 for half a year my mother sent me over $2000 so I could stay longer and keep improving my chess". From memory I spent most of it on beer in the pubs! (young people and free money can be an interesting mix...)...

ER
21-02-2009, 12:30 PM
When and how did you achieve your FM title? Was it the greatest achievement of your Chess career?

I got the title in 1999 by scoring 4.5/9 in the Oceana Zonal (the one which caused controversy by handing out lots of titles). Iíve never publically commented on this subject, but I felt for all of the players who were criticised for scoring enough points to gain a title. Did we deserve the title? Well, I donít know, but what I can say is that there were 2 players in the tournament who were much weaker than the rest of the field and I only played one of them. I scored 4.5/5 against players under 2300 and 0/4 against players 2300 and over. I didnít lose to anyone under 2300 but then I didnt beat anyone over 2300 either and I only had one draw (not in the final round). It was a very strange tournament and there wasnít very much good chess played there - even by the better players. I think that the pressure of the whole thing must have got to most of the players. Was the FM title the greatest achievement of my chess career? Well on paper yes. It has been really helpful away from the board actually. Its a great thing socially eg. pretty women Iíve met in pubs, discos and parties over the years really tend to like it! It also looks great on my resume! It also looks good that the MCC president is a titled player. I earned it legitimately and within the rules of the event, and the people most close to me think that I should be proud of it, so I am proud of it in that way, but it certainly wasnít anywhere near the best chess that Iíve played. Winning the under 2200 prize outright in the 98-99 Australian Open was more satisfying, so was winning the 97 Christmas Swiss and scoring 8/11 in the Australian Reserves a few weeks later. As was beating a GM in a tough game in Holland in 2000...

Who do you think is the most influential Chess player of modern times?

Kasparov. He was way ahead of his rivals. His preparation was amazing - way ahead of his time and the blueprint for the modern super grandmaster...

The strongest?

At his best, Kasparov. The strongest now? Ive got no idea - I havenít followed it for 9 years. Anand, Kramnik, Topalov all seem to stand out but I really dont know...

The one whose playing style you have been inspired by and have tried to adopt?

Portisch (although he isnt exactly modern) is the one whose style I Ďve always tried to adopt. His play is/was dynamic, aggressive and positional. I love playing with the bishop pair, especially as black in Sicilian positions. I also include Darryl Johansen for the same reasons - his games always have more to them than what people realise...

The one that you always wanted to meet?

I never had any ambition to meet any of them actually - although I got a day of coaching from Dvorevsky in Holland. After the coaching, Yusupov drove me to Germany where we said a very brief hello to Kasparov in Frankfurt. I then headed north...

Who is Australiaís most promising young player?

Zhao - he has proven himself. Is he still considered "young"? Of the current juniors, well I wouldnít have any idea. I dont even know who most of them are. Iíve seen some of James Morris' games. He plays the game the way it should be played and I like his attitude - he doesnít seem to tolerate mediocrity. Cedric Antolis is the only other one Ive seen but I Ďve only seen one of his games - a great win actually as black. Apparently he started out at Melbourne Chess Club when he was very young, so I might as well use this as an opportunity to promote my club! He is the Australian Junior Champion now! These two play at Melbourne Chess Club - but Iím sure that there are other good juniors playing at other clubs too...

Who is your favourite Australian Chess player ever?

Johansen, closely followed by Wohl. Wohl is brilliant at his best...

Whatís the future of chess in Victoria and generally in Australia in terms of participation and strength? How do you compare Victorian Chess with the rest of the country?

Its hard for me to give an answer in relation to Australian chess because I havenít been involved for 9 years. I am only just beginning to see what chess is now like in Victoria. The main difference between now and when I was playing, is that now there are a huge number of juniors playing. The junior events are obviously a great success though I think its important that they transition the kids into mainstream chess tournaments too - I am assuming that the stronger ones are already. I remember in 1999, I played in the Gold Coast Open and approximately 2 thirds of the field were kids. It was amazing - 1300 rated players were in the top half of a big Swiss! It was great to see that so many kids were competing against adults. This is the sort of participation which would be very beneficial for Victorian chess. As for strength, Victoria looks to be doing very well. We have one of Australiaís 3 GMs, and I think we have 5 or 6 IMs (not sure exactly). What else seems to have improved is the general level of average players. For example, at Melbourne Chess Club, we have 1800 rated players in the bottom half of our Swiss events. 10 years ago, 1800 players were scoring 5/7 in tournaments - now they are getting 3/7 or 4/9! Chow, Dragicevic and Goldenberg all got IM norms in Queenstown recently, so I think we are in good shape. I wouldnít have any idea how things are in other parts of Australia though. I go interstate quite often, so I should have a look next time. More needs to be done to keep 2100 - 2200 rated players in the game and to turn them into IMs. Players tend to drop out of chess at that level because they get very little encouragement to improve (unless they are juniors). We need to support these players to get to that next level...

ER
21-02-2009, 12:49 PM
A bit of a breather here before we conclude the chess playing part of the interview with the new President of the Melbourne Chess Club Grant Szuveges.
Also a reminder that the Allegro at the Melbourne Chess Club starts in a few minutes! :)

ER
21-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Public discussion is encouraged throughout the stages of this interview. Grant would love to answer any questions concerning his administration and whatever was referred to in this interview!
However, Chess Chat Forum members are reminded that detailed matters strictly concerning the MCC are to be published in later stages of this interview!

ER
21-02-2009, 02:10 PM
A number of very strong players are participating in the first MCC Allegro tournament of the year!
Still 1st round!
Good news: Three new members have signed today, :clap: :clap: :clap: the Building Fund has now reached $1350.00:clap: :clap:

ER
21-02-2009, 02:25 PM
You were once, actually not that long ago, considered amongst the strongest and the most talented young players in Australia. What's your strength now? Could you be able to survive the harsh requirements of a strong Chess Tournament, as, say, the Melbourne Chess Club championship?

The only chess I play these days is blitz, and judging by that, I ‘d say that I am actually stronger than when I gave chess away! Having said that though, there is no pressure on me at all now, so its easy to play well when it doesn’t matter. Not playing for years gives you a new perspective and you see the game in a different light. When I was playing, I was obsessed with chess and that isn’t healthy or good for your chess. The other factor nowadays for me is my lifestyle.

What changed in your lifestyle?

10 years ago when I played, its fair to say that I had a bit of an alcohol problem. I don’t want to use that as an excuse for a lack of success (because good players play well regardless of other issues in their lives) but it does make it a lot harder to fulfil one’s potential. It is amazing how much clearer I see the board now.

Is blitz so important?

I wouldn’t read too much into my blitz results, as I was always much better at blitz (than long games) anyway. The stress and pressure of a strong tournament makes it a completely different kettle of fish...

Has age got anything to do with it?

Being 32 is also very different to being 22. For me, being 22 was about having fun, going out, chasing women, seeing the world, being irresponsible, wasting my money, wearing silly clothes, showing off, living on 3 hours sleep per night etc... My life now is much more simple and of course very different from when I was in my early 20s! It is so much more settled rather than being a never ending rollercoaster ride. I laugh to myself now when I think about what I was like 10 years ago with the long hair and the trademark blue singlet!

Any recent OTB encounters?

I had a blitz session with David Beaumont the other week and cleaned him up 9-2 (he wont mind me saying this). I continued the next day with a 18-0 demolition of another strong blitz player (I am still arrogant enough to count to myself). The point is though, that it is only blitz! I don’t know how I would go in a strong tournament now though. I think that I would be way behind in current opening theory (although this can be learned). Id probably also be a bit rusty, and not in the habit of working hard at the board.

How hard is ... hard?

Working hard at the board is the most important and underrated part of chess in my opinion, its how you really improve. I ‘ve won lots and lots of bad positions through working harder than my opponents and making it hard for them. I ‘d also have to get a computer and a database to play now, as the preparation for games has really intensified in the last 10 years - even the weaker players seem to be better prepared these days and thus much more dangerous.

What's your approach to a "comeback"? Not necessarily your "comeback"!

Comebacks after long stints away from chess affect different players in different ways. Some come back and play brilliantly, whereas others are shocking. Its probably easier for players with positional styles, as you don’t tend to forget that aspect of the game. Players who play for complications all the times may be a bit more susceptible as their calculation may not be as sharp as before. The general level of chess is much higher now in any case so surely there are a lot of people who would have overtaken me. Nobody (including me) really knows how I would go now. I’m guessing that I 'd probably be a bit weaker than when I quit playing.

To complete the chess playing part of the interview, what does the future hold for Grant Szuveges the Chess player?

Well I have retired from chess 9 years ago. I’ve enjoyed my 9 years of retirement and I cant see myself playing now - especially while working, studying and running a chess club - unless of course someone offers me $20,000 as an appearance fee or something like that (which I also can’t picture happening)...

Saragossa
21-02-2009, 02:33 PM
This interview has so far influenced me to have a run, do some excercises and now I think I'll study a bit of chess to cap it off!

ER
21-02-2009, 02:46 PM
How difficult did you find it to combine initially studies and Chess and of course to facilitate being the President of the arguably oldest Chess Club in Australia with your other business.

MCC is actually one of the oldest clubs in the world! I never really had any difficulty combining studies and chess because I never studied when I was younger. Nowadays I am studying at LaTrobe University but the semester doesn’t start until March. I also work full time and have always done so while at uni - I’ve never had any problem balancing uni and work. I have a government job so taking time off is very easy for me. I take time off when I ‘ve got lots of essays due at the same time. I am not worried if I earn a bit less money one fortnight if my marks are better as a result of this. As for Melbourne Chess Club business, it will take a fair bit of time early, but it will get easier as the club gets back on its feet. The committee I have around me are very efficient people and we have all been sharing the load, especially when one of us is busy. I have full confidence in them...

What influenced your decision to become involved in the administration field?

In the second half of 2008, I deferred uni for the semester, took leave from work and went on a 5 month overseas trip with my partner Kelly. She had never travelled much and I wanted to show her some of the places I had been. Anyway, we came back in December not expecting to have anything to do with chess. We were back in Melbourne for one day, and I received a text message giving me 4 hours notice to the MCCs AGM. (even though I dont play chess, I ’ve remained a member to support the club and to play blitz). I went along to this AGM knowing that the club was not in good shape, but what I found out during this meeting, was that the problems were about 100 times worse than Id thought. I was also astonished that many of the core-group of members weren’t there - including past presidents Robert Brooking, Greg Gatto and John Lavery. Other people whom I know care about the club were also nowhere to be seen. I found out that if our club kept running the same way, it would be finished in 2 more years. I was very concerned about this state of affairs, so I decided to ask around and try to find some people who were willing to have a go at running the club better. Gradually as I was in this process, a lot of people asked me the inevitable question of "why dont you do it?" and I couldn’t really find a good answer to that, so I decided that I would. It is important in life to practise what you preach and it is also important to give something back to organisations which have given you a lot. The MCC gave me lots of happiness and fun when I was young, broke and struggling. Now the MCC is struggling and I am doing OK, its my turn to do it a favour. It just felt the right thing to do. I know that I’m a capable person, and capable people need to take responsibility if they want to see things like this improve...

What was wrong with the club and needed to change? And the question applies to all facets of running a chess club such as the MCC, its membership, state of building and property, its administration etc.

Where do we start! Well firstly, the clubrooms themselves were an absolute pigsty! On our first full day of office, we (myself and others) cleaned out the building and I took 8 carloads of rubbish to the tip over the next few days. The state of the clubrooms was a disaster, pizza boxes everywhere, papers, rubbish - you name it. On that first cleaning day, I emptied a bin with 10 cm of liquid in the bottom of it. I dont know whether it was coffee, water, coke, beer or what, but it absolutely reeked. I think you get the picture. Secondly, the membership was worse than I thought. In 2008, we had only 44 paying members (plus 30 life members). 10 years ago, we had about 200 members. We needed to get those members back to the club and replace the ones that had moved on. 44 members isnt sustainable for a club like ours. The bank balance had also plummeted with not a lot to show for it. The committee were obviously struggling and there had been a lot of infighting between some of them during the year, to the point where it had all become totally disfunctional. I could go on and on about all of this but it will take too long. Some things I will say though, are that the club had no vacuum cleaner for months, no telephone for months, disconnection notices for bills and a huge amount of dissatisfaction from its members and other chess players. Everyone in chess seemed to be totally dissolutioned by the MCC and its administration. When you run an organisation with members, you need to listen to your members and give them what they want - it makes them feel more important, and then they will do more for the club. Its a two way street, if the club works for them, then they will work for the club and both win. (this is already happening i.e. $1300 into the building fund so far). This is why we have brought back the Saturday afternoon allegro - its what the members wanted...

The whole of the Victorian chess community saw your return to chess even as an administrator as a very positive move! Did you have similar welcoming reception on behalf of the clubs members and the administration you replaced?

Yes, the reception and support I got from my business plan was overwhelmingly positive. I showed the business plan to most of the members and quite a few non-members. Of everyone who I gave it to, only one said that he wouldn’t support it, and he hadn’t even read it anyway!!! 99% of the club were very supportive. As for the administration we replaced, they were supportive too. Last year's president Bill Jordan welcomed the move and I’ve received lots of help from him, John Davenport and David Beaumont (all 2008 committee members) since being in office...

David Beaumont described the move to replace the previous committee with your administration a revolution! Was there some kind of a coup? or just a flower revolution where the members themselves realised that enough was enough and there was time for a change?

Definitely the second option. (actually I did an essay at uni on Portugals "flower revolution" in the 1970s - very interesting topic) The members themselves wanted change and even the previous committee realised that a change was needed. We had to consider the option of a coup but it wasn’t needed - the previous committee didn't want to run the show anyway. I think they are relieved that it's now our problem! ...

ER
21-02-2009, 03:17 PM
A few days after you undertook your duties as President of the MCC, things have started moving. You re-introduced the building fund and other initiatives... I mean I witnessed members being very happy about receiving their membership card, the toilets being clean etc... Tell us about it!

We were elected on the Sunday night and first thing on the Monday morning we went in and started cleaning the clubrooms! The club championship started that night and we wanted to make a big statement very early on that we were serious about what we were doing and that we would not tolerate previous standards. We took about 8 carloads of rubbish to the tip and the toilets are as clean as dilapidated toilets can be! We had a committee meeting that very day and re-launched the building fund complete with the raffle. (10 hours of coaching is first prize). The fund has been very popular indeed! We have been running the show for less than 2 weeks and the building fund has raised over $1300 (Editor's note: $1350 at the last count) so far! Mirko Rujevic was the first to buy raffle tickets despite the fact that he is a stronger player than almost all of the coaches involved in the prize!!! I'd like to thank everyone who has supported the building fund. No matter how big or small the donation is, it will still help our club. I encourage anyone else with spare money to donate also...

You have also shown particular interest in meeting executives of other chess clubs. What is the purpose of those meetings?

For whatever reason, in recent times, MCC has been very isolated and hasn’t communicated much with other clubs. MCC has the reputation of being a basket-case organisation and the joke of Victorian/Australian chess. I don't want to sound nasty, but this is what other people in chess have thought and said about our club. (someone told me a funny/tragic story in relation to this actually: at a Chess Victoria meeting, someone suggested holding the Vic Women’s Champs at MCC, and someone piped up "but MCC is hostile to women isnt it?" Someone else then replied "no, MCC is hostile to everyone!") There is a reason why Box Hill Chess Club had 600 members in 2008 and we only had 70! We (MCC) need to accept what people think of us, even if it is negative. This is the first step to change. Anyway, back to the question. I had been so keen to meet executives from other clubs to open up communications and to show the chess scene that MCC is not an insular, hostile place - but a willing and active part of the chess community. The committee of Box Hill Chess Club have been particularly helpful and supportive of us (thanks Box Hill!). They are the best in the business (600 members etc), so its important that we learn from them, as they are getting it right. They only had 24 members in the mid 90s, now they are huge. I’ve been out there a number of times recently and I’ve found them really supportive and helpful. I’m also on good terms with Garry Lycett from Dandenong Chess Clubs committee and I chat to him regularly. And I’ve been out to both Noble Park and Hobson’s Bay Chess Clubs in similar "good will missions" (and of course to publicise our building fund raffle). Good communications with other clubs is of the utmost importance to our club. Look how well some "new EU countries" are doing since joining the European Union - it benefits the whole bloc. It is the same in Victorian chess - a strong MCC is good for chess in Victoria and of course a co-operative chess scene in Victoria is good for the MCC...

You were present at the recent Chess Victoria AGM. Apart from representing MCC, were you also there in order to improve the existing relationship between CV and the MCC?

What relationship? MCC hadn’t sent representatives to a Chess Victoria meeting in years! I had a chat to Leonid Sandler and he said that MCC was entitled to 4 votes, so we sent 4 representatives (myself and 3 others). If you are entitled to 4 votes, you might as well use them - you owe it to your members. We didnt vote on anything really important to our club this time, but if there was something which affected the MCC in a big way, it is important that we get our votes. By being at that meeting, we were also making a statement to the Victorian chess community that we want to be (and be seen as) an active participant. And yes, of course by being there, we did want to show that we want to have more communication (and thus a better relationship) with CV. I chatted a lot with Leonid Sandler, Katrin Wills and Trevor Stanning and its fair to say that the relationship between CV and MCC has taken its first steps and is looking positive...

You have also referred to the fact that you were trying to approach ACF executives. Can you comment on the purpose of this approach?

I called Gary Wastell (he was the only ACF person I’ve tried to contact) and caught up with him at the CV AGM. I called him because I wanted to know if his radio show was still running and if so, to use it to promote MCC, but it isn't running any more, so that’s the way the mop flops. I’m not even sure who the ACF executives are these days and we haven’t approached any of them other than Wastell. I have no issues with the ACF, but there just doesn’t seem to be much we need to discuss with them at this early stage. Our job is to get a struggling club back on its feet, and theirs is to administer chess over a whole country. A good relationship with them can only be a good thing though. Actually, I should have a chat to them because they might donate something to our building fund - good idea...

Before you were elected new and old members received a manifesto-like document titled Business Plan for the MCC by Grant Szuveges.
Obviously, all those who read it, found it impressive in its clarity and concrete goals... How long did you study the current position of the club before you decided to do something about it and how long did it take you to compose such a lengthy document?

As I said earlier in the interview, I went to a meeting on 21st December (with 4 hours notice) and was disgusted by what had happened to the club. The very next day, we drove to Adelaide for Christmas, as Kelly’s family are from there. We chatted about it on the drive over and decided to do something - I was still very angry. I made some phone calls from Adelaide to some MCC members to confirm what was happening and then began brainstorming ideas for how the club could be run in an ideal situation as opposed to the 2008 situation. The business plan took about 2 or 3 days to compose - it wasn’t really hard to do, but I wanted to make sure that I didnt forget to include things...

Please be kind enough to summarise its (The Szuveges’s Plan) main points for us so the readers of the Chesschat forum who aren’t members of MCC can have a clear idea of its content!

The basic point of the business plan was that the MCC could be run a lot better than it was being run. In the short term, the goal must be to raise revenue quickly in order to stop the bleeding from the bank balance and renovate the building. We need to utilise the space we have - as it is a huge asset. At non-chess times such as weekday mornings, we can rent out our space to other groups such as yoga, meditation, bookclub or bridge groups etc to raise more money. These sorts of things should make the club financially stable, and we then shouldn’t keep losing members (as they will have better facilities at their disposal). The long term aim is to increase membership numbers. Other points outlined were communication with members - something that hasn’t happened recently,(until our group started) and communication with the rest of the chess scene. It also outlined the fact that the club has history which should be honoured and that due to this history, members should take pride in the club. The two key themes of the document were the concepts of transparency and accountability (of the committee). Without these things, the club will not improve...

Grant, how realistic are these goals you have set in the Szuveges Plan and how long do you think it will take before the members of the Club begin to see concrete results?

I think that all of these goals are realistic (I wouldn’t put them in my business plan if they weren’t) but people need to understand that most things wont change overnight. People often seem to think that when a new committee comes in, things will change automatically - that just doesn’t happen. When a new coach comes to a footy club, the club doesn’t change straight away, it takes time. The improvement is there, but it isnt seen to people outside of the inner sanctum of the club. It is the same with the MCC. Things are already much better eg. we have raised $1300 ($ed, $1350) toward our building fund, membership is stable, sponsorship is currently being investigated. But these things are not things that people will see unless they know about them. What people will see now is that the clubrooms are cleaner, allegro is back and things like that - although these are small things. But people won't see big changes for a few more months. They will see big changes when the toilets and kitchen get renovated, or when the outside of the building is painted, or when they see 50 people playing in a tournament that only used to attract 30. The small changes have already happened and are there for people to see, but the big things will of course, take longer. I dont think that we will be able to achieve absolutely everything from the business plan this year, but if we can achieve half of it in 2009, then we have been successful. We have started like a train though and are doing very well with the building fund. So, who knows, maybe we will get more done than we expect. The MCC is improving though and should continue to do so. When you get the process right, the results will take care of themselves, and we feel that we are getting it right...

Grant Szuveges thank you very much for your time and good luck with your efforts to bring the Melbourne Chess Club back to its deserved place in our Chess Community!

More about the new President of the MCC.

Grant is a student of European Studies at Latrobe University and is employed by the Department of Human Services in the field of Disability Support Services. He also works as a background extra on TV, and can often be seen in the background on shows such as Neighbours and Canal Road.

In his spare time he likes to travel the world (been to 45 countries), practice other languages, watch football (AFL), read, interact with animals, spend time in nature (snorkelling on reefs, hiking in mountains etc), cook gourmet food and take photographs.

His favourite sport is AFL football. "Id swap everything I’ve done in chess to be a footballer that starts on the bench in an AFL team! Although if I was one I’d probably want to be a good chess player. Team sports teach people better social skills than chess does."
He is a Richmond fan "although I will watch and enjoy any game between any two teams."

His favourite music ranges from Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Dido, Nelly Furtado, Metallica to the Bangles, Divynals, Billy Idol to Simon and Garfunkel, classical music, world music and ex-Yugoslav rock and heavy metal bands such as Dividje Jagoda and Biello Dugne. "I dont care what the genre is - it depends on the individual band or musician - I either like them or I dont."

Favourite film is a Serbian or Croatian (not sure which) film called "Dead and Cold" - "funniest thing I’ve ever watched. I’m not really into films though. Before I met Kelly, Id only been into a cinema about 7 or 8 times in my life!"

And favourite TV show is Ladette to Lady, footy, cricket and nature documentaries.

Finally he is defacto, not quite married yet and his family plans include marriage and one or two children...

Watto
21-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Great interview jak. The best one you've done as far as I'm concerned.

Kevin Bonham
21-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Yes, great work and I was so much encouraged to read about the existence of relations between CV and MCC as it is very much in the interests of Australian chess generally that such a strong and historically crucial club as MCC has input at state level.

ER
21-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Thanks Jean, It was a pleasure to do it! It is really encouraging to see young, bright and talented people like Grant being involved with Chess administration! See you on Monday at the Club! :)

ER
21-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Yes, great work and I was so much encouraged to read about the existence of relations between CV and MCC as it is very much in the interests of Australian chess generally that such a strong and historically crucial club as MCC has input at state level.

Thanks Kevin, of what I understand one of Grant's priorities will be to normalise the relations between the Club and all other Chess organisations in the State; he and his committee plan to achieve that by practical and productive co-operation and not by empty rhetorics.
Of what I also understand, as an example of this co-operative attitude, MCC not only will reappear with team(s) representation in the next Vic Interclub, but will also play a major role in the effort to have this year's competition on an East - West bi-zonal basis.
There are also indications of other inter/club based activities.
Other initiatives, not referred to in the interview include, the organisation of "bring the community together" events with related activities, as well as the introduction of ongoing exchange of ideas with educational and cultural bodies and organisations!
For all activities concerning MCC, there will be continuous and immediate coverage here!

ER
21-02-2009, 10:25 PM
As Grant Szuveges announced a short while ago...

The MCC now has 2 minor sponsors.
The first is

"Souvlaki King" on Brunswick St
and the second is
"The Wick on Brunswick" also on Brunswick st.

Both have donated to our building fund and have given MCC members a special offer. On showing the MCC membership card at Souvlaki King, members get $1 off souvlakis and falafels.
On showing the card at the Wick, MCC members get a dollar off a beer. If members are constantly going in to Souvlaki King and buying souvlakis, Souvlaki King will sponsor our Saturday allegro.
So next time you come to MCC, buy a membership and have a souvlaki at Souvlaki King followed by a beer at the Wick!

D Dragicevic
21-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Yes, I also have to say that this was a very good interview and it was very enjoyable to read through.

Metro
22-02-2009, 04:35 AM
Yes, I also have to say that this was a very good interview and it was very enjoyable to read through.
Top interview Elliott:clap: Good, positive news from Grant:clap:

ER
22-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Top interview Elliott:clap: Good, positive news from Grant:clap:

Thanks Met, it is really nice to see the new generation of administrators taking control!

Thanks Dom, actually you and your friends led a similar revolution down in Noble Park starting from nowhere! so congrats to you too! :clap:

ER
22-02-2009, 06:04 AM
This interview has so far influenced me to have a run, do some excercises and now I think I'll study a bit of chess to cap it off!

Go ahead son! The future is yours, as a player as well as administrator! Obviously you are one of those who care :clap: and so the sky is the limit for you!!!

ER
04-03-2009, 03:08 AM
Melbourne Chess Club presents
ENDGAME THEORY NIGHT

Tonight Wed March 4th

at 7.30

With one of Victoria's and Australia's strongest players

Carl Gorka

Presenting one of the newly introduced events offered by the Melbourne Chess Club to members and general public!

Come along and enjoy Carl's lecture in his relaxed, entertaining and informative style!

Paul Cavezza
04-03-2009, 04:38 PM
excellente! will be down next week.. enjoy tonight

ER
04-03-2009, 07:28 PM
I couldn't make it tonight and i am simply infuriated! :eek:

eclectic
04-03-2009, 07:35 PM
I couldn't make it tonight and i am simply infuriated! :eek:

you mean you couldn't get sbs to televise it?

:eek:

ER
04-03-2009, 07:49 PM
no way I am in their bad books at present!:whistle:

ER
06-03-2009, 12:17 PM
The announcement by the MCC President as it came this morning

I am currently organising a match MCC vs Hobsons Bay chess club.....
This guy really means business, he keeps up the pace in regards to the Club's activities in the same level as the first day he started

I am looking for 8 players who would like to represent Melbourne Chess Club. The match will probably be on a Friday night at a date yet to be arranged....
One of his priorities as pointed out in his interview (see related topic in this thread) is to build strong connections with other Chess Clubs. He obviously keeps things rolling!

Hobsons Bay would like us to field a strong team, so we should have no qualms about trying to field a team that can beat them 8-0......
Ops, the gauntlet is trhown!!!

However I will take the first 8 interested players regardless of playing strength..... The venue will be Melbourne Chess Club.....
Members get your act together!!! :D

If you know the email addresses of any other MCC members, please forward this on to them - especially Rujevic if someone is in contact with him.....
Wow, we are calling the big guns here! Hobsons Bay be alert, very alert!!!:owned:

MCC will provide refreshments for players of both teams on the night. I will also help players playing to prepare for their games if any of you need assistance....Grant
In other words hospitality aside, we are taking this match very seriously so as in previous, Hobsons Bay be alert, very alert!!!:D

PS. a similar match will be organised against Ballarat Chess Club in the near future....
I can read between the lines that the next target will be Box Hill Canterbury Juniors Chess Club! So you guys over there also be alert, very alert!:D

Official (and unofficial) responses from Hobsons Bay and other Chess Clubs mentioned (and not mentioned - hehe you know who YOU are:P) here, more than welcome!

Spiny Norman
06-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Great work by Grant. I say "you'd better bring it on the day!" ;)

MichaelBaron
06-03-2009, 10:51 PM
There is an allegro tomorrow, everyone!

ER
06-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Michael just in case you haven't noticed there is also a thread for the allegro! :P

ER
12-03-2009, 07:13 PM
A very positive feedback for Melbourne Chess Club during the three days of the Begonia Tournament in Ballarat.
Grant's presence there, apart from gathering some money for the Building Fund, also gave the opportunity to many chess players to discuss things MCC with the President and express their thoughts, ideas, criticism etc with him.
Now two of the points about MCC that were made very clear to me by chess friends during my staying in Ballarat!
NO LIGHTNING games during tournaments at the Club. The noise made is disturbing players and generally creates an unpleasant atmosphere. People who have played chess overseas as well as almost every State in Australia claim that MCC is the only venue that allows this nonsense to continue!
ALLEGRO ON SATURDAY: Suggestions were made that the Allegro should be played on Sunday rather than on Saturday. That's to allow players who usually frequent the very successful Noble Park Chess Club, to play in the Allegro as well.
I promised I would let Grant know about these two matters and since the Pres is open to public discussions about the MCC, I posted them here as well!

Watto
13-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Now two of the points about MCC that were made very clear to me by chess friends during my staying in Ballarat!
NO LIGHTNING games during tournaments at the Club. The noise made is disturbing players and generally creates an unpleasant atmosphere. People who have played chess overseas as well as almost every State in Australia claim that MCC is the only venue that allows this nonsense to continue!

It's funny, no doubt they have a good point (it can be noisy) but I kind of like the atmosphere created by the lightning games in the front room.

MichaelBaron
13-03-2009, 07:46 AM
I hope Allegro stays on saturday.:(

ER
13-03-2009, 10:49 AM
I hope Allegro stays on saturday.:(

No time for sulking Michael, be brave! :P
After all, it was only a suggestion!
Grant has made it clear that one of his main priorities is to listen to what people have to say!
That, however, doesn't mean that every suggestion will automatically become MCC's policy!

ER
14-03-2009, 04:28 AM
I told you to be brave Michael! Have a look at the Allegro thread, I know the news there will turn your :( into a wide :)....

ER
14-03-2009, 04:40 AM
FACT 1 ok Anzac Day weekender has been announced ... Kerry first, Malcolm in a more official note have already started the thread! That's not a rumour!

RUMOUR 1 Did I dream of a fattish cheque toward the building fund that has been promised and expected to hit the post sooner rather than later?

FACT 2 Broken windows are being fixed on Wednesday

FACT 3 A new flyer is out announcing the Club's full list of raffle prizes.

FACT 4 Many of the squares that people have bought on the chess board have already been engraved, and we only have 4 or 5 left to sell.....

STRONG RUMOUR 2 The juniors deal is almost complete regarding coaching at the MCC in 2009

ER
14-03-2009, 05:01 AM
It's funny, no doubt they have a good point (it can be noisy) but I kind of like the atmosphere created by the lightning games in the front room.

Absolutely Jean! It's been a part of the CLub's culture for many years and undoubtedly for many years to come! No way to stop those lovable unruly characters making their noise as there is no way to stop their more quiet fellow chess players protesting. At least they have co-existed for many years; let's hope this relationship will continue without some serious breach! :P

eclectic
14-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Absolutely Jean! It's been a part of the CLub's culture for many years and undoubtedly for many years to come! No way to stop those lovable unruly characters making their noise as there is no way to stop their more quiet fellow chess players protesting. At least they have co-existed for many years; let's hope this relationship will continue without some serious breach! :P

i thought grant was trying to CHANGE the club's culture

ER
14-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Not certain parts of it! :P after all MCC will never become a church! :owned:

Paul Cavezza
15-03-2009, 07:52 PM
no lighting is good, but certainly social chess is fine.

ER
15-03-2009, 07:55 PM
no lighting is good, but certainly social chess is fine.

Under flood lights? :P

ER
15-03-2009, 09:57 PM
The following Press Release was sent to me earlier tonight by MCC's President Grant Szuveges:

I have not addressed the issue of noisy blitz players at the Melbourne Chess Club yet, but it is obviously a talking point on this Forum...

Blitz is a huge part of the culture of Melbourne Chess Club, and we dont want to change that.

Tournaments are also a huge part of our culture and we need to respect the rights of the players playing in them.

What our club needs is a healthy balance between the two. From what I have seen over the past 5 rounds of the club championship, the blitz players are actually fairly well behaved.

Of course there is noise from the foyer, but it is not from the blitz players - they tend to just play blitz and keep fairly quiet.

As for the kibitzers commenting on the blitz games, well they can be a bit noisier, although from what I've seen, people often come out and tell them to keep it a bit quieter. The arbiter also does this.

Our club is in a different sort of position to most chess clubs because of our 7 day per week opening times. Most clubs only need to cater for one event per evening, whereas in our case, we have 2 markets of chess players - the tournament players (similar to most chess clubs) and the blitz/social players.

Some of our members are part of our club simply to play blitz and we need to cater for their needs just as we need to cater for the needs of the tournament players. Ive seen lots of cases where people play blitz while a tournament is going on in the next room, and the atmosphere is quiet and with no complaints - Ive even been one of the blitz players myself (and one of the tournament players too).

Blitz and tournament play can live successfully in the same building at the same time provided that there is some consideration and respect for others. Our blitz players at the MCC understand that when there is a tournament is progress in the next room that they need to keep the noise down - and most of the time they do.

As for the question regarding changing the culture of the MCC, of course we are trying to change certain parts of the culture of the club (ie. the negative things). But the blitz culture is definitely something that we will NOT try to change.

The excessive noise and lack of respect for others has not been happening this year - and therefore, does not need changing. In general, the atmosphere at the club in 2009 has been upbeat, exciting, cheerful and happy.

I encourage all of those chess players who haven't been into the club in 2009, to come down on a Monday evening or a Saturday afternoon and enjoy playing or watching some chess in a much happier and more cheerful environment.

Grant Szuveges
MCC President

MCC Important Developments
I am in position to know about two very important developments for the Melbourne Chess Club! I cannot disclose anything at present pending Grant Szuveges final approval and wording of the related announcements. I am sure, however, that both developments will satisfy members and all those wishing well to the Club

MichaelBaron
16-03-2009, 02:28 PM
[MCC Important Developments
I am in position to know about two very important developments for the Melbourne Chess Club! I cannot disclose anything at present pending Grant Szuveges final approval and wording of the related announcements. I am sure, however, that both developments will satisfy members and all those wishing well to the Club

How interesting :). We will keep waiting :hmm:

ER
16-03-2009, 02:41 PM
This is an unofficial announcement since the final wording, to be approved and signed by Grant Szuveges, hasn't yet been completed.

A new junior program is extremely close to being finalised to start in term 2 this year at the Melbourne Chess Club.
My sources tell me that it would run on Saturday mornings (before the Allegro) and on Monday afternoons (before tournament games) so juniors and parents can stay and watch games or even participate in events.
This formula has been extremely popular and successful at the Box Hill Chess Club,
In both cases Australian Olympian Nick Speck will be the co-ordinator!
More to come

ElevatorEscapee
16-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Elliot, how many spots are left on that $50 donation to the building appeal chessboard?

Mischa
16-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Can they keep the toilets clean?
The whole place is not user friendly for females...
or is that the intention...:)

ER
16-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Elliot, how many spots are left on that $50 donation to the building appeal chessboard?
Hi Nigel,
Four or five I think! Maybe less now, however, I will ask Grant and I will let you know!
Many thanks for showing interest toward this effort!

Watto
16-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Can they keep the toilets clean?
The whole place is not user friendly for females...
or is that the intention...:)
Hi Mischa. :) Post 30 of this thread is the final part of Tasso's extensive interview with Grant... (a great interview and well worth reading). The good news you'll be pleased to know is that the club is clean and looking good and the building fund has raised over $2000 I heard tonight so more improvements are on the way.
Here's the relevant snippet:

A few days after you undertook your duties as President of the MCC, things have started moving. You re-introduced the building fund and other initiatives... I mean I witnessed members being very happy about receiving their membership card, the toilets being clean etc... Tell us about it!

We were elected on the Sunday night and first thing on the Monday morning we went in and started cleaning the clubrooms! The club championship started that night and we wanted to make a big statement very early on that we were serious about what we were doing and that we would not tolerate previous standards. We took about 8 carloads of rubbish to the tip and the toilets are as clean as dilapidated toilets can be! We had a committee meeting that very day and re-launched the building fund complete with the raffle. (10 hours of coaching is first prize). The fund has been very popular indeed! We have been running the show for less than 2 weeks and the building fund has raised over $1300 (Editor's note: $1350 at the last count) so far! ...

The fund is now over $2000. The whole interview starts from post 23 http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=9546&page=2

ER
16-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks for your kind words Jean! As we all have observed, week by week the Club is getting better and better! I am sure things will continue to improve! Great news about the building fund!

Paul Cavezza
18-03-2009, 05:11 PM
allo tasso or anyone else going to the endgame theory tonight, I'm unable to get there once more but will definitely be in next week!

Paul

queenant89
18-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Just a note, the endgame study group ran today, with just four people,- myself, domagoj, bill jordan aswell as Carl. It was very interesting and engaging, although today was a little higher leveled, i enjoyed it and managed to learn some new endgame techniques.

ER
18-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Just a note, the endgame study group ran today, with just four people,- myself, domagoj, bill jordan aswell as Carl. It was very interesting and engaging, although today was a little higher leveled, i enjoyed it and managed to learn some new endgame techniques.
Thanks for the info Sarah, :) :clap: I am sure you enjoyed the whole procedure being amongst such strong players willing to share their knowledge.
Please keep on sending reports on whichever matter you consider as relevant to the Club's progress.
I am sure that Grant and his committee, as well as the MCC members and the general public would love to have this feedback so they can more effectively co-ordinate their efforts to improve MCC.
I would also love to have your opinion on the gender approach as well as the general state of the club in terms of hygiene, presentation, behaviour of other members etc.
Your opinion as a young (you are still a junior I believe - I stand to be corrected if I am wrong) and talented player, as well as a female - that's also very important in terms of increasing female MCC membership, is extremely valuable!
I hope you are also doing well your your university studies!

ER
18-03-2009, 10:11 PM
allo tasso or anyone else going to the endgame theory tonight, I'm unable to get there once more but will definitely be in next week!
Paul

Hi Paul, I was not there being held back by other priorities, however, I think Sarah's report more than covers the information we all needed.
For now I am preparing an interview with Carl Gorka who co-ordinates the endgame, middle game, opening classes, as well as all the latest material on Club's activities including a couple of very important announcements.
Now, I have noticed that you have an extremely informative and humorous style of reporting happenings at the Club creating a very interesting and attracting reading material for the rest of us.
So, combining this with your opinions, suggestions, ideas, criticisms etc for the improvement of all aspects of MCC's is very important! :clap:
You are a young talented chess player, and along with Sarah and other young people you ARE the future of the Club! So please continue your contribution!
PS Make sure you publish your material in related threads! ie Allegro, Championship, New Era for MCC etc. Do not follow Michael Baron's :D :P example on this matter! :owned: although it has some surprise element value, tends to confuse readers! :lol:

D Dragicevic
18-03-2009, 10:50 PM

I was also going to write a little note as well. So far two sessions of endgames study have run and both of them were very enjoyable and learnt new things. I am not a good endgame player, and I am finding that I am even learning simple things about endgames, which do help. We are looking at all different types of endgames.. I do think that attending these sessions would improve players endgames so I would encourage anyone to come in and take a look. The sessions run every second Wednesday, but the next one will run next Wednesday as MCC has a commitee meeting in two weeks time so Carl has to attend.

queenant89
18-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the info Sarah, :) :clap: I am sure you enjoyed the whole procedure being amongst such strong players willing to share their knowledge.

I would also love to have your opinion on the gender approach as well as the general state of the club in terms of hygiene, presentation, behaviour of other members etc.
Your opinion as a young (you are still a junior I believe - I stand to be corrected if I am wrong) and talented player, as well as a female - that's also very important in terms of increasing female MCC membership, is extremely valuable!
I hope you are also doing well your your university studies!

Thanks JAK. Well i am still a junior in the under 20 retrospects. In the past i have been hesitant about playing at MCC because of many reasons including definitely the hygeine in particular the female toilets, the more hostile feeling, and more depressing feel of a club to play at. THe club itself had a negative and welcoming image and feel which was made me even more hesitant to make my way to play. It doesn't worry me as much that i may be only female that is playing but more due to attitudes of club in general- I just didnt enjoy the atmosphere. But in saying that too, we need to work on having many more female players playing chess and at MCC too. Its great to have other females playing alongside you, like Jean.

I wasnt intending to play at MCC at these club championships, the mentions of the changes- were an incentive. I have noticed a big change at the club over the coarse of this tournament, the clubrooms seem to had joy and happiness reemerge- a free flowing atmosphere, when you enter the club, its very welcoming, and people enjoying the blitz. Thats something that needs to stay. The clubrooms are so much nicer and hygenic, and im awaiting the new renovations which will make it so much better. In the above posts, tasso mentioned the photos and old memorabilia from the club, and being new to the chess world, its nice to see the heritage- (all through some may wish to forget the hairstyles... :P).

AS mentioned above the endgame study group is an great idea and are having the groups in general. The allegro return is great, as there is little regular tournaments besides BHCC's Rookies Cups. Although im yet to play Im hoping to play the allegro this weekend. In the past the value of having a membership was quiet low, and you didnt get much in return besides tournament discounts. I glad to see this changing and more than happy to pay the membership.

Im happy to see that MCC is emerging to being back to a great club, and hoping to see that continue into the future. So to the MCC Committee... Keep up the good work!!!! :clap: :clap:

Watto
19-03-2009, 09:16 AM
It doesn't worry me as much that i may be only female that is playing but more due to attitudes of club in general- I just didnt enjoy the atmosphere. But in saying that too, we need to work on having many more female players playing chess and at MCC too. Its great to have other females playing alongside you, like Jean.
Ah, thatís nice to hear. I really like having you in the tournament too, does make a difference. Now we just have to get more of us playing... !

I wasnt intending to play at MCC at these club championships, the mentions of the changes- were an incentive. I have noticed a big change at the club over the coarse of this tournament, the clubrooms seem to had joy and happiness reemerge- a free flowing atmosphere, when you enter the club, its very welcoming, and people enjoying the blitz. Thats something that needs to stay. The clubrooms are so much nicer and hygenic, and im awaiting the new renovations which will make it so much better. In the above posts, tasso mentioned the photos and old memorabilia from the club, and being new to the chess world, its nice to see the heritage- (all through some may wish to forget the hairstyles... :P).

AS mentioned above the endgame study group is an great idea and are having the groups in general. The allegro return is great, as there is little regular tournaments besides BHCC's Rookies Cups. Although im yet to play Im hoping to play the allegro this weekend. In the past the value of having a membership was quiet low, and you didnt get much in return besides tournament discounts. I glad to see this changing and more than happy to pay the membership.

Im happy to see that MCC is emerging to being back to a great club, and hoping to see that continue into the future. So to the MCC Committee... Keep up the good work!!!! :clap: :clap:
Funnily enough, talk of the new committee and changes made me want to enter too (and macavityís direct question to me about whether I was going to play ;)).

I've always felt pretty welcome there so that wasnít a problem but like others I found its fall in membership and general stagnation a bit depressing. Iíve got a lot of affection for the MCCÖ it was my first club, it has such a rich history, great characters, itís in the heart of Fitzroy where I lived for years, really strong competition, beautiful wooden chessboards etcÖ so I am finding the recent developments very uplifting.

I think the recent changes are probably the best development Iíve seen for Victorian chess since I first started taking notice of chess things back in late 2002. A strong MCC could make a big difference to the health of Victorian chess.

The endgame group sounds great to meÖ I might not be able to make it fortnightly but perhaps monthly.

ER
19-03-2009, 11:01 AM
I was also going to write a little note as well. So far two sessions of endgames study have run and both of them were very enjoyable and learnt new things. I am not a good endgame player, and I am finding that I am even learning simple things about endgames, which do help. We are looking at all different types of endgames.. I do think that attending these sessions would improve players endgames so I would encourage anyone to come in and take a look. The sessions run every second Wednesday, but the next one will run next Wednesday as MCC has a commitee meeting in two weeks time so Carl has to attend.
Hi Dom, and first of all thanks for the info about re-arrangement of meeting nights. That is very useful for members and other chess players who are welcome to join in. Actually, I am planning to have a specific announcement of these series which, in my opinion, have not been advertised enough.
I also encourage Carl Gorka who organises the whole thing to keep the readings of each tutorial so people (like myself) who have missed some nights will be able to catch up with the rest of you!
Secondly, it is very important to hear from such a strong player as you are to underline the importance of endgame study which most of us consider as not of great value since, as in my case, I usually resign long before I get to that stage! :doh: :wall: :evil: :lol:
Thirdly, your participating in this discussion is also very welcome since you can add to ideas and suggestions for the Club's improvement based upon your own experience from being a part of the highly successful Noble Park Chess Club establishment!
So please keep on adding your opinion to whichever matter you think is of interest. I know that since you were a micro junior you have been a part of the Club and I also know that you will always be there, especially, in times MCC needs support!:clap:

ER
19-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Ah, that’s nice to hear. I really like having you in the tournament too, does make a difference. Now we just have to get more of us playing... !
Hi Jean and thanks for your response particularly because I know you understand this is a very important thread in regards to helping MCC to regain its prestige as the central focal point of Chess in Melbourne! I also know that you are an inspiring and energetic person (ok I know you don't like to be overpraised) so I shut up for the time being! :lol:
However, (here I go again), the impact of your pesonality in Chess circles is great and that shows in the way you are treated and respected wherever you appear either as a player or administrator. Now, I have a crazy idea and I want your opinion and suggestions in hopefully formulating and materialising it!
I have in mind to ask the Committee for permission to sponsor a Ladies Only Weekend tournament, like an inaugural Womens Championship of Victoria, to be held around mid 2010. My initial idea was to introduce the weekender as invitational with a minimum entry fee and with the purpose to provide female chess players of the State (or interstate if they wish so) with the opportunity to find out more about the MCC and eventually become members - actually the prizes will include membership for the Club!
It is also thought to be a rather social event and if successful we can introduce it on an annual basis! What do you think?

Funnily enough, talk of the new committee and changes made me want to enter too (and macavity’s direct question to me about whether I was going to play ;)).
I know, Malcolm is good in convincing people - by the way Macavity you missed a tremendous choir eucarists service at the Church close to the venue in Ballarat this year! Make sure you don't miss it next year!

I've always felt pretty welcome there so that wasn’t a problem but like others I found its fall in membership and general stagnation a bit depressing. I’ve got a lot of affection for the MCC… it was my first club, it has such a rich history, great characters, it’s in the heart of Fitzroy where I lived for years, really strong competition, beautiful wooden chessboards etc… so I am finding the recent developments very uplifting.
I think the recent changes are probably the best development I’ve seen for Victorian chess since I first started taking notice of chess things back in late 2002. A strong MCC could make a big difference to the health of Victorian chess.
The endgame group sounds great to me… I might not be able to make it fortnightly but perhaps monthly!
All the underlined points represent situations and things expressing most of us members of the Club, or the general Chess community in Victoria! I think that sooner or later we 'll make it!

eclectic
19-03-2009, 12:09 PM
when are the youtube video tours going to be uploaded? :owned: ;)

Watto
19-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi Jean and thanks for your response particularly because I know you understand this is a very important thread in regards to helping MCC to regain its prestige as the central focal point of Chess in Melbourne! I also know that you are an inspiring and energetic person (ok I know you don't like to be overpraised) so I shut up for the time being! :lol:
However, (here I go again), ...
Hi jak, I don’t mind praise but you are right that I find a clear case of ‘Overpraise’ mildly embarrassing… but good for a laugh. ;)

Now, I have a crazy idea and I want your opinion and suggestions in hopefully formulating and materialising it!
I have in mind to ask the Committee for permission to sponsor a Ladies Only Weekend tournament, like an inaugural Womens Championship of Victoria, to be held around mid 2010. My initial idea was to introduce the weekender as invitational with a minimum entry fee and with the purpose to provide female chess players of the State (or interstate if they wish so) with the opportunity to find out more about the MCC and eventually become members - actually the prizes will include membership for the Club!
It is also thought to be a rather social event and if successful we can introduce it on an annual basis! What do you think?
Well, I’m really happy that there’s a move to encourage female chessplayers to join the MCC :clap: and something of the sort could be great. It’s a very nice idea on your part. I have mixed feelings about women’s only competitions (there are pros and cons) though so I wonder which other approaches could work too. I’ll need to think a bit more about it to give you a useful response as I’ve actually never entered a females only chess tournament (partly to do with my lack of playing strength and the fact that I took it up as an adult) so don't have any experience to draw upon.

In the meantime, hopefully some other female players on this site, will give feedback on the idea too. It could be an excellent idea. :)

As a matter of interest, I notice you used the word 'inaugural', when was the last Victorian Women's Championship held? If it hasn’t been held in a while, then resurrecting it at the MCC could indeed be an exciting way to bring it back...

Bill Gletsos
19-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I have in mind to ask the Committee for permission to sponsor a Ladies Only Weekend tournament, like an inaugural Womens Championship of Victoria,Inaugural??
Are you sure there has never previously been a Victorian Womens Championship?

ER
19-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Inaugural??
Are you sure there has never previously been a Victorian Womens Championship?No I am not really sure... I am thinking in line of something like FIDE rated invitationals like those Eddie organises but for women only! The main idea is not based on the tournament itself, but to introduce MCC to the ladies and increase the Club's female membership. All that in a relaxed, social background! No hassle for the Inaugural thingy, we can stick another name to it! Any suggestions?

MichaelBaron
21-03-2009, 10:26 AM
No I am not really sure... I am thinking in line of something like FIDE rated invitationals like those Eddie organises but for women only! The main idea is not based on the tournament itself, but to introduce MCC to the ladies and increase the Club's female membership. All that in a relaxed, social background! No hassle for the Inaugural thingy, we can stick another name to it! Any suggestions?

Would be a good idea.

ER
22-03-2009, 03:09 AM
when are the youtube video tours going to be uploaded? :owned: ;)

lol how do I miss these marvels? :lol: But of course whenever you are ready to sign your contract to star in them Eclecticus! :whistle: Don't worry about your make up, members are forming queues to do it for you! :owned: ;)

ER
22-03-2009, 03:20 AM
Carl Gorka, the Chess player, the Chess teacher, the Chess administrator!
One of the most important exponents of the New Era of the Melbourne Chess Club, talks about his career, his involvement in important developments of Chess in Victoria and his aspirations for the future!
AN INTERVIEW IN DEPTH!
SOON EXCLUSIVELY FOR CHESS CHAT - AUSTRALIA'S PREMIER CHESS FORUM!

ER
22-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Ladies and gentlemen here is PART ONE of the Interview with the Vice President of the Melbourne Chess Club, Carl Gorka

Carl, welcome and thanks for accepting to do this interview

Thanks

You have been an important factor of the movement to establish a new era for the Melbourne Chess Club. What led you to participate in this?

Firstly, when I was initially approached by Grant I felt something was needed to be done to improve matters at the MCC and therefore was happy to try to do something. When I saw Grant’s proposal for improving the MCC I couldn’t fault any of it, so it was an easy decision to join Grant and the team.

You were (and even more now) always close to the MCC in terms of being a member, participating in tournaments and making yourself available whenever help was needed. Do you believe that the Club has the realistic potential to reach the goals set by the President Grant Szuveges and the Committee of which you are a member?

To be honest, I don’t know, but I would hope so. Already great progress has been made, and there seems to be to be no let up in the energies of the club members and ideas are constantly coming in to us so the club is definitely forward thinking. Only time will tell how far we go, but things look positive at the moment. For instance, improvements to the premises have started, there are more events being held such as allegro tournaments and study groups, with more to come like blitz tournaments and interclub matches, a new website is being created and a junior program is being expanded. Of course, our success will be in determining which new elements are working and which are not, and never stopping to seek to make the club a better place for its members.

According to your own aspirations and perspectives what are the main priorities for the Club's progress? How do you perceive the MCC in, say, 5 years from now?

I would like to be able to hand a new committee a healthy club with a solid membership base and room for growth, good working practices to make their life easier, a comfortable playing environment and a vibrant and varied tournament scene, including a working junior program. I would like the next Vice President of the MCC to have a membership excited by the club, and supportive from the start of the tenure. Good relationships between the MCC and other clubs, chess organizations and Chess Victoria should also be strived for.

Apart from your present participation in MCC administration, you were also involved with Noble Park Chess Club's establishment and contributed to their fantastic success! Tell us a few things about your experience there!

Noble Park started as a joint venture to run the Australian Masters in 2006. I had taken on the responsibility to organize the tournament and was finding it difficult to get support when I came across Dizdarevic and Dragicevic et al and we came upon a plan to run the Masters. They were already in the process of starting Noble Park Chess Club and asked if I would join to help. I committed to this for a year as it isn’t too close to home for me and between us we managed to start a successful new chess club and organize the Australian Masters. I must say that my role in starting this chess club was fairly minimal, and the main impetus was given by Dizdarevic. I had to stop contributing to Noble Park because of other commitments or otherwise I would still be there.

You are a strong player but also a very successful Chess teacher. Your students like your style and they are enthused to participate in your classes... What's the secret of your success there?

I can’t say I know. I am very enthusiastic about chess which may in turn breed some enthusiasm. I also like to vary things a bit. It can be a bit boring studying tactics every week, or theoretical endgames. As much as these things need to be done, there needs to be some variety in chess lessons or it becomes too much like work. By the way, at some stage in a student’s development this may change and it will become work!

This concludes Part One of the Carl Gorka interview. Part Two to follow shortly! !

ER
22-03-2009, 05:52 PM
In the first part of our interview with MCC's VP Carl Gorka we discussed general situations about his involvement with the Melbourne Chess Club and Noble Park CC, his aspirations about his administrator's future and his Chess teaching career. This is PART TWO of the interview

When did you come to Australia?

I arrived 1st March 2005 so I’ve been here just over 4 years.

What was your playing strength when you left England?

Much the same as now, in the 2050-2250 category.

Did you have the chance to participate in strong tournaments there?

Some, but not as many as I would have liked. My work as a performer meant working usually at weekends or during holiday periods when most of the major tournaments were held. So I could never play in the British Championships in July for instance as I would be working 7 14 hour days a week at that time. Just before I left England I played at the Isle of Man International which is held late September/early October, but performed badly as I was ill for the first half of the tournament.

Tell us a few things about the way tournaments are organised there? What are the main differences between the Australian and English Chess?

The biggest difference is geographical, inasmuch as England is a small country so it’s relatively easy to get to tournaments. I don’t think there is too much difference in the tournaments themselves, but the structure is different. England doesn’t have prize money for club tournaments, or very little, and there is a lot more league chess, or what you’d call interclub. There’s the 4NCL, county divisions, city divisions, junior leagues and even some big clubs might even run their own league. There is a much bigger pool of players in England, and organizers have been able to use this to create more tournaments based on ratings divisions. The biggest weekend tournament in England is at Blackpool usually in March http://www.blackpoolchess.org.uk/next_congress.html and there are 5 different sections for players to play in depending on their ratings. This sort of thing works very successfully in England and isn’t being used much in Australia.

Did you experience some kind of a "culture shock" when you first arrived here? I mean for some Englishmen it takes years (if ever) to adjust to Australian societal forms whereas some others feel at home from the first day! Which category do you fall into?

I felt at home straight away, but then again I didn’t feel at home in the UK. To be honest moving to Australia wasn’t so much the issue as moving from the UK, but since being here I haven’t wanted to live anywhere else. I suppose I was a bit lucky there, and also my wife is very happy here which makes things even easier. We originally came on a temporary visa, but as soon as we could changed to a permanent one (my wife is a nurse so getting a visa is a fairly straightforward affair for us as nurses are high in demand) and became citizens at the earliest opportunity, just over a year ago. It won’t be long before I change my chess affiliation over to Australia, but as a foreign player I have tournament organizers telling me to stay English for the time being to help populate norm events.

Let's get back to where it all started as a junior in Kent … When did you first realise that Chess was going to play a major part in your life?

Actually it was Hampshire, but Kent isn’t far away. I learnt to play chess when I was about 5 years old, but didn’t go to a club until I was about 9 or 10. From the start I loved chess and wanted to play and soon after joining the club, I also found enjoyment from studying chess, probably when I was about 11 or 12. I could sit happily with a chess board at home and look at games or positions. I suppose I was committed to chess early, and even after some intervals away from the game it has always been something that I can quietly sit and think about. I remember going to my local library where they had copies of the British Chess Magazine that I would look through and copy some of the games and articles, and I borrowed a book of games from the Leningrad and Petropolis Zonal tournaments of 1973. I think since then I have always loved tournament books the best.

Who were your Chess idols when you started playing serious Chess? who are your favourite players now?

I don’t really have favourite players or have idols or heroes. I admire some players but generally more because of who they were than what they achieved. I have the greatest respect for Euwe probably, and after reading Munnindorf’s biography about Euwe a few years back, that respect grew. I think it should take more than being a great player to be a hero, and for me a great person is worth more. Today, I am happy to see players from different countries doing well, so it is great to see Carlsen of Norway, Caruana of Italy and the explosion of chess in Asia. But I can’t really say there is a favourite for me at the moment.
Who was your first Chess mentor?

A strong correspondence player called Ken Harmon who was the strongest player in my home town of Basingstoke when I was about 14. He helped a few of us to become stronger players but his emphasis was always on openings. Luckily, that usually led to critical positions where we would just analyse and try things out.

Did you grow up in Chess playing surroundings?

Not really, my brother could play but only just, and no one else in my family could play. A school friend invited me to a club which wasn’t far from my home and that was really where I started. The club was exciting with lots happening, but unfortunately doesn’t exist anymore.

How much support did you have by your family?

My parents didn’t really see the appeal of chess but they saw something that made me happy so were happy for me to play. They didn’t push me to become better and just let me go with it, but I got lifts to events, some books bought for me, etc. Chess wasn’t the only thing in my life. I was pretty sporty as a junior playing soccer and rugby to quite decent levels so I suppose they didn’t think I was obsessive about chess. Luckily I haven’t come across anyone in my circle of friends and family who have thought it odd that I play so much chess.

Was it the greatest achievements of your Chess career so far?

Hmm, tough. From a playing perspective probably my performance in the Australian Masters in 2005, but I get at least as much satisfaction from seeing my students perform well as I do from me performing well. I would probably have to say organizing the Australian masters in 2006 was my greatest achievement so far, and in that tournament George Xie became an IM so that was very satisfying.
Thinking about this some more, I found great satisfaction from being able to play a double bishop sacrifice against Doug Hamilton in the 2007 Victorian Championship. I have waited a long time to play this type of sacrifice (even though it wasn’t fully sound, and should only been good enough to draw), and now only have a double rook sacrifice to play for a full set of classics having sac’ed numerous queens, rooks, bishops, knights, pawns and exchanges over the years.

This concludes PART TWO of the Carl Gorka interview. PART THREE to follow shortly

ER
22-03-2009, 06:23 PM
In PART ONE AND TWO of the interview with MCC's VP Carl Gorka we discussed general situations about his involvement with the Melbourne Chess Club and Noble Park CC, his aspirations about his administrator's future and his Chess teaching career. We also discussed situations about his Chess upbringing in the UK, his experiences from tourmanents and the way things are organised there and mainly facts about his own career as a chess player. This is PART THREE - FINAL of the interview

Who do you think is the most influential Chess player of modern times?

Kasparov, probably he was the most influential player of all times. I can remember in the early 1980ís seeing some of his games and his style was so different to the prevailing elite, like Karpov, Andersson, Polugayevsky etc. If you looked at a tournament the games would often be heavy going with perhaps a few exceptions, but not when Kasparov came on the scene. He completely invigorated chess with a dynamic style. I know he was only a member of a generation of chess players but as the leading player he was like their front man.

The strongest?

Kasparov again

The one whose playing style you have been inspired by and have tried to adopt?

Iíve never been one to follow any player or style, though I suppose Iím quite aggressive. I enjoy Talís games and his enthusiasm for sacrifices, so I suppose this would be the closest thing to what you mean.

The one that you always wanted to meet?

Like with the idols I donít really have anyone that Iíd really like to meet. If I meet someone then fine, if not then no regrets. I take people as they come and try not to prejudge.

Who, according to your opinion is Australiaís most promising young player?

That is a difficult question to answer, and mainly because the transition from junior to adult is not always straightforward especially with the year 12 schoolwork taking so much time. So a promising player under 14 might unfortunately leave the game for a space of time in his/her late teens not to come back. So I find it difficult to make predictions. For instance I would have said Moulthun Ly was a great talent, but he seems to have gone quiet. Letís hope this is just a temporary lapse from the game. Saying that Australia has some great young players, like Max Illingworth, James Morris, Eugene Schon, Yuan Yi and Gene Nakauchi, to name but a few.

Who is your favourite Australian Chess player ever?

I donít really feel qualified to answer this one so Iíll pass by saying Shane Hill as he was the first IM I ever beat.

Whatís the future of chess in Victoria in terms of participation and strength? How do you compare it with the rest of the country?

Participation is great in schools throughout Australia and we have a lot to thank the private organizations as well as state bodies in this respect. However, the conversion from school chess to more serious chess at clubs is not necessarily following, and a corollary effect is the lack of young adults staying in the game. Some of these return to chess, but their absence for a number of years mans they miss out on what should be their best years. This question needs to be addressed by all bodies if weíre to make chess a flourishing pastime, and even more importantly, if weíre to be considered a sport.
As for strength, I see a number of strong players flexing their muscles in Victoria at the moment so things should be healthy here. The first tournaments of the year at MCC, Box Hill, Noble Park and Dandenong have been well attended, and the top players have all seemed eager to play. With IMís Sandler and Goldenberg attending Ballarat, it looks as if 2009 could be a vintage year. Hopefully this will show in the Victorian Championships as the flagship event, but throughout the year it would be great if the participation level and strength levels remain this good. With competition this high, Victoria will only improve its standing in regards to other states. I canít really comment on how Victoria compares with other states, as I havenít spent enough time out of Victoria, but NSW and Queensland certainly seem to have a strong body of players, as do ACT and SA to a lesser extent.

How difficult do you find it to combine Chess playing, Chess Administration and Chess Teaching?

It was difficult to start with combining teaching with playing and I found my playing level dropped quite drastically, but I have been able to differentiate now between the 2 activities. I have to teach at all levels from absolute beginners to strong players and when Iím teaching I try to switch off from a playing mentality and focus on the improvement of my students. Positions and ideas which might seem interesting to me are not necessarily important here, but rather things which help a student understand things better. My personal study then becomes a chill out from the work-like preparation for students. Saying that, I donít seem to get much time for personal study at the moment, and this has something to do with getting involved in the administration side. I get great personal rewards from helping my students, and from trying to improve the playing conditions around Victoria, but it does eat into my time, and a result is a lack of time for personal study. So I play quite a bit of chess at the moment and enjoy it as it is purely for me, but donít get much time to study from it and improve.

According to other top players, you are included amongst the elite of our sport! They all agree that your present rating is not representative of your real strength! What do you think?

I think that my rating is what it is. It reflects the fact that Iíve not played too well over the past 6-9 months for one reason or another, but a rating is only an estimation of a playerís general strength. The way I play, which is usually quite aggressively, allows for me to upset strong players, but also lose to weaker players. Anyone from 1500 up (maybe lower) could have a hope of beating me, but anyone up to about 2400 (maybe higher) probably knows they could be in for a tough fight. Luckily Iím not too bothered by ratings, and hopefully when players have to play me they will take into account that my general rating could be +/- 400 points on any given day! Another issue for me which is linked to my aggressive style is that I am a player who needs to be in the mood to play. For instance, at the 2006 Australian Masters I organized the event with no intention of playing but finally had to play as a foreigner to make the event a norm tournament. I performed badly there as I didnít really want to play. At the moment I do want to play and seem to playing fairly well.
Actually, thinking about this a bit more, I suppose as a kid, I always admired the players who made it to 2200 FIDE which back then was the rating you needed to get on to the FIDE list. I set this as a goal and having achieved this, my ambition sort of waned. I have recently thought about trying for 2300 and FM but again, time has been a factor and the necessary study and work has not started yet. But maybe soonÖ.

Hobbies, spare time activities?

Sitting at cafes, sipping long blacks, chatting with anyone who happens to be nearby and people watching. As a relative newcomer to Australia I like to find new places and travel as much as possible. Victoria is a great state for this as many places are accessible in day trips, and Iíll take any opportunity to go to somewhere Iíve never been before whether it sounds attractive or not. As my wife is a photographer, the combination of a sense of exploration and a passion for seeing new things, or even reexamining things go hand in hand.

Favourite sport?

To participate in, probably soccer. To watch, Rugby League. Go Storm!

Favourite team (s)?

Melbourne Storm (League), St Kilda (AFL), West Ham (soccer)

Favourite music?

Iím a bit of a classic rock freak but much depends on mood. For instance, the last album I bought was Carmen by Bizet, with Maria Callas and sung in French which somehow seems softer than Italian. My Ipod has amongst others, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Iggy Pop, Ocean Colour Scene, Jet, The Doors, Dandy Warhols, White Stripes, Nirvana, Guns and Roses, etc

Favourite film?

Difficult as there are plenty to choose from. Hereís a few off the top of my head: Dog Day Afternoon, LA Confidential, Groundhog Day, Blues Brothers, Repo Man, Blade Runner and of course Dumbo.

Favourite tv show?

I donít watch much TV but have got into the Underbelly series recently. I suppose the all time favourite would probably be BlackAdder.

And our final question for this interview, What does the future hold for Carl Gorka, the Chess player, the Chess teacher, the Chess administrator?

Who knows what the future holds? As long as Iím healthy Iíll continue to play chess and maybe will find the time to work towards the FM title. I get a huge buzz out of teaching so I have no intention of slowing down there. The level of student doesnít really matter to me. Perhaps some coaches like to see their students achieving greatness, but I can get a thrill from seeing someone who didnít know how to move the pieces suddenly taking joy from playing a full game of chess. And itís a great buzz to see a young kid win their first game of chess. If someone thinks Iím wasting talent by doing a task that many others could do, my reply is that getting new people to the game is just as important as teaching established players to get better. Saying that, hopefully some of my students will become strong players and just as importantly, remain in the game for life. Administration takes a lot of time and effort and Iím happy to give this, though it may have to slow down from time to time. I consider Victoria and Melbourne to now be my home and donít envisage ever leaving here. As such I feel some responsibility for taking up the challenge to make things as good as possible here in my passion which is chess. To be honest, I find it difficult to understand why anyone would not want to help, even in a small way, to make something which they derive great enjoyment from even better.

Carl Gorka, thanks for your time!

No worries, thankyou!

This concludes our interview with Carl Gorka. Carl is a likeable person whom I met for first time some 3 years ago at the MCC analysing a rare opening line with Malcolm Pyke. He impressed me with his analysis and the clarity of his expressing his ideas. Since, we often meet in tournaments having short but meaningful chats and note exchanges. Next time you have the chance, just approach Carl and say hi! Most likely you will make a new friend, one of those who last for a long time!

William AS
22-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Great posts JAK. :clap: :clap: :clap:

eclectic
22-03-2009, 06:45 PM
if i were george negus or kerry o'brien i'd start to worry about how safe my job is ;)

useless patzer
22-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for that interview, very interesting and informative. :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Carl Gorka
22-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the interview, your technique is excellent, and it was a pleasure to participate:)

The fact that there were no questions that I found difficult to answer or awkward made things very easy for me as a respondent. It will make me a willing participant in a no-holds barred interview for the coffee lounge should you ever try a Shock-Jak technique:D

Thanks again :)

ER
22-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Great posts JAK. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks mate I appreciate your comment! See you in Adelaide later in the year!

ER
22-03-2009, 08:45 PM
if i were george negus or kerry o'brien i'd start to worry about how safe my job is ;)
lol, thanks Eclecticus, I don't know Kerry, George is a nice bloke though! :)

ER
22-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for that interview, very interesting and informative. :) :clap: :clap: :clap:
Many thanks UP, in a way it's an effort of all us patzers to get to the big guns! :)

ER
22-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the interview, your technique is excellent, and it was a pleasure to participate:)

The fact that there were no questions that I found difficult to answer or awkward made things very easy for me as a respondent. It will make me a willing participant in a no-holds barred interview for the coffee lounge should you ever try a Shock-Jak technique:D

Thanks again :)

The pleasure is all mine Carl, I enjoyed doing this and reading the end product! Actually, I keep the Shock-Jaks for later when I (with the permission of the administration here) do a series of interviews with international Chess personalities! :)
For now I have in mind to do a few more with local champs including junior personalities who have achieved so much recently!
All the very best to you and family and I will see you tomorrow night at the Club!

Miranda
22-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Excellent interview JaK! :clap:

ER
22-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Excellent interview JaK! :clap:
Thanks Miranda! Nice of you to say so! :)

Watto
22-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Another great interview jak... your interviews are one of the best things about chesschat.

William AS
22-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks mate I appreciate your comment! See you in Adelaide later in the year!
Before then I hope, couple of weeks, Doeberl Cup, we are staying at the same hotel I believe. :D

ER
22-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Before then I hope, couple of weeks, Doeberl Cup, we are staying at the same hotel I believe. :D
yeah I forgot about that, I will be staying at Quality this year? you too? Not that I don't like Stateman's but it happens Quality is just across the road from the Hellenic Club! :)

ER
22-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Great interview!!! Well done.... both of you..... Are you doing interviews with the whole committee? I cant wait to see Pykies!!!
(you can publish this if you want)
Grant

Thanks Grant, actually Malcolm has been interviewed for this Forum not so long ago! In fact it was when he won the Club's Championship last year. The interview was republished by Australasian Chess Magazine! However, interviewing other MCC committee members is not a bad idea at all, perhaps in a collective interview!
See you tomorrow night at the Club!

ER
22-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Another great interview jak... your interviews are one of the best things about chesschat.
Jean thank you! That's vey nice thing to say and I really appreciate your comments! Actually, since I restricted my presence (euphemism of the year here :P) in the Shoutbox to just announcing events, I 've provided my self with some extra time to contribute something more useful for the Chesschat! :) Thanks again!

MichaelBaron
22-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Yep very interesting interview! Thx, to Tasso and Carl

ER
22-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Yep very interesting interview! Thx, to Tasso and Carl
Thanks for the response Michael, I really enjoy doing these interviews! :)

Paul Cavezza
25-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi all,

Went to the End Game group tonight which was great. Myself, Sarah, Domagoi, Carl and occasionally Bill attending. We looked at pawnless Queen V Rook endings and after a little self-study i'm sure i'll be able to cross this technique off my list.

Last week they looked at R v Knight pawnless.

Is a great group for players of all levels. It is so much better than studying with a book. Even the best endgame books will usually only give you one or two lines and leave you wondering what to do if the game doesn't follow. This gives you the opportunity to learn the techniques thoroughly against all defenses and not just one line... and ask questions too.

I'd encourage everyone to come down even if you have trouble learning in a public forum like I do (prefer to study alone)... They now call a stalemate in a Q v Rook ending "A Cavezza" so you have no need to worry of embarrassment while I am about.

Cheers,
Paul

p.s. next session is two weeks from now on Wednesday April 8th at MCC, 7.30pm.

Basil
25-03-2009, 10:09 PM
*jealous*

Carl Gorka
25-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi all,

Went to the End Game group tonight which was great. Myself, Sarah, Domagoi, Carl and occasionally Bill attending. We looked at pawnless Queen V Rook endings and after a little self-study i'm sure i'll be able to cross this technique off my list.

Last week they looked at R v Knight pawnless.

Is a great group for players of all levels. It is so much better than studying with a book. Even the best endgame books will usually only give you one or two lines and leave you wondering what to do if the game doesn't follow. This gives you the opportunity to learn the techniques thoroughly against all defenses and not just one line... and ask questions too.

I'd encourage everyone to come down even if you have trouble learning in a public forum like I do (prefer to study alone)... They now call a stalemate in a Q v Rook ending "A Cavezza" so you have no need to worry of embarrassment while I am about.

Cheers,
Paul

p.s. next session is two weeks from now on Wednesday April 8th at MCC, 7.30pm.

Thanks Paul, it was good to see you there. I think we all learned a heap about stalemating our opponents which will give you some defensive techniques as well as the attacking ones from this ending.

Remember, even some of the top players were unable to show the necessary technique to win this and though they may have had little time, if it was just a matter of technique, then little time shouldn't be a great issue. I wonder what the excuse of Afek was in his game against Ian Rogers? Perhaps we could get Ian's personal comments about the way the ending was played?

You have now seen some key positions in this type of endgame, and perhapsmoreimportantly, have had well over an hour practising against other players. I'd be willing to bet that's a whole lot more than most players:)

Watto
01-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Since class 1 is free, I'm a bit surprised that there are still a lot of weekenders out there which are not registered for the Grand Prix.

As a member, I'd love to see the MCC register its weekenders for the Grand Prix; maybe one of them could even be a class 2 event? If moves are already underway to do this, that's great... If not, then I'd welcome such a development. :)

ER
01-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I second that! and :clap: :clap: :clap: Jean for bringing this idea up for discussion. I also hope you have noticed Eclectic's new thread about more club based (other than weekender) grand prix tournaments!

ER
02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Press release by Melbourne Chess Club President Grant Szuveges:

MCC had a committee meeting last night. Jean mentioned that we could have our Anzac Day weekender put into the Grand Prix and obviously our committee approved this... Brian Jones should get the call today or tommorow.....

We also approved something else quite special...... I won't say too much yet but if you are down at the club in the next few weeks, have a good look at the outside wall of the building - its the ugliest wall in Fitzroy! But, it won't be staying like that for long.... So have a good look, because it will be your last chance to see it like that.....

In other news, the building fund has raised $2280 currently with a few promises of donations. If you are one of the people who promised a donation, please donate asap, as we want to start getting some renovations done soon.....

The raffle will be drawn THIS MONDAY EVENING at 6.30 pm. So if you want tickets, you have only got a few days left to get them..... Everyone is welcome at the club this Monday for the drawing of the raffle (no fees this day).... So come in, play some blitz, enjoy yourself and watch the final round of the MCC championship....

We are having a match against Hobsons Bay Chess Club on Friday night at the MCC, so if you dont have anything else to do, come down and watch the games....

And dont forget about allegro on Saturday afternoon - Baron is in form and dominating! Come down and play - you may even play Baron - you may even beat him!!! (but I doubt it) Novices night is going along ok on Tuesday nights and is being overseen by Elizabeth Warren, who is doing a magnificent job! It is appropriate for anyone under 1500 - not just complete beginners....

Membership is thriving and we now have 18 new members who were not members last year. We signed up another 2 just last night..... It is a great feeling to go to the club for a committee meeting and end up signing up new members!!!

Coaching on Monday nights starts in term 2, via the very capable and professional services of Nick Speck, and our juniors are starting to take the bigger steps of playing against the adults in the allegro - and matching it with them!!!

Saturday morning coaching is also going well. (also with Nick).... So kids, come down on Saturdays, have some coaching and then play allegro!!!

Playing against FM Michael Baron is a great way to improve your game! If Baron is a bit daunting, there are many other players who you will definately be a chance against...

Things are looking very very good now for the MCC and we are slowly but surely beginning to reclaim our position as a leading contributer to Victorian chess! To quote Carltons banner from last weekend, THEY KNOW WE'RE COMING!!!"

Watto
02-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Press release by Melbourne Chess Club President Grant Szuveges:

MCC had a committee meeting last night. Jean mentioned that we could have our Anzac Day weekender put into the Grand Prix and obviously our committee approved this... Brian Jones should get the call today or tommorow.....

It would be great if this is possible. It may be too late to register (see info below) but I'm sure Brian Jones will let the committee know either way once they contact him.
From http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/index.cfm?year=2009&p=section&a=rules&site=grandprix

3. Tournament Registration
3.1 Tournaments must be registered with the Grand Prix Director no later than 15 December and the official form (attached) must be accompanied by the appropriate Entry Fee, payable to Australian Chess Enterprises.

3.2 Entries to the Grand Prix will be accepted at the discretion of the Grand Prix Director, who reserves the right to refuse entry or transfer tournaments between classes as necessary. There are no fee reductions or discounts. Late entries may be accepted on payment of a late entry fee of $100.

eclectic
02-04-2009, 02:51 PM
is the membership fee structure the same as on the website or has it changed?

ER
02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
is the membership fee structure the same as on the website or has it changed?
I am not sure about that Eclecticus, I presume that Grant will answer this question sooner rather than later since it is a very important one and in addition one of his priorities is to make sure all questions concerning the Club to be answered ASAP!
As far as I know the old "website"hasn't been updated for a long time which makes all the information it contains questionable!
Actually, my personal opinion is to either update the old website as soon as possible untill it is replaced by the new one, or to get rid of it altogether!

eclectic
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
i suspect it will be replaced
maybe the club will buy/lease its own domain name

eclectic
02-04-2009, 04:26 PM
i did a check

there is a www.melbournechessclub.org registered to a slobadan or bob kristic of northcote

i would presume this is to be the location of the new site

ER
02-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks Eclecticus, I think that shows that steps have been taken! Are there any dates provided? Dates as when the application was made of approved etc?

eclectic
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
the domain was purchased early march and expires the same time next year

ER
02-04-2009, 05:22 PM
ok thanks, then one would expect it to start functioning sooner rather than later!

ElevatorEscapee
02-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi Elliot,

I have a cheque made out to the Melbourne Chess Club (for the cleaning up the loos... aka building fund). Would you happen to know of an appropriate postal address that it can be sent to?

Thank you,

~EE

ER
02-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Yes, Nigel
Please address it to
The Melbourne Chess Club Building Fund
C/O Grant Szuveges
66 Leicester Street
Fitzroy
3065 Victoria

I am sure that Grant, his committee and the Club's members will greatly appreciate your donation!
By the way thanks for reminding me I have a $50 note from an anonymous friend toward the building fund as well!
I hope I see you soon! :)

ER
02-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I have just received the following announcement by MCC President Grant Szuveges for immediate release:

In relation to Mark's question about membership fees, the fees are $150 per year full and $100 per year concession. Juniors only have to pay $40. It used to be $50 but we want to attract more juniors.

As for the website, Ive got no idea what the old website says, but please everyone, dont take any notice of that old website. Most things on it are out of date..... If I was the slightest bit competant with computers, I would get rid of it asap.... The new website is being worked on as we speak. The domain name is registered in the name of Slobodan (Bob) Krstic - one of our committee members......

Thankyou Nigel for the donation to the building fund - that brings us to $2386....

In other news, the Gypsy Bar (334 Brunswick St, Fitzroy) have jumped on board as our latest sponsor - so get down there for the new managers cheap lunch specials..... Very good stuff down there..... The new manager Matt is a really nice guy and he does a lot for the local community and its businesses..... More details about this soon.....

And dont forget the upcoming Anzac Day weekender, the City Of Melbourne Open and of course our favourite - the Saturday Afternoon Allegro! Talk to you all soon..... MCC, THEY KNOW WE'RE COMING!!!"

TrueBeliever
03-04-2009, 12:39 PM
What you said or half said was offensive to your labor supporting friends of which you have many. Elliott leave this fascist right wing political and religious claptrap to the deep north.

ER
03-04-2009, 01:33 PM
What you said or half said was offensive to your labor supporting friends of which you have many. Elliott leave this fascist right wing political and religious claptrap to the deep north.

Fair enough! How did I get into this in the first place? My apologies to all offended!

Basil
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Fair enough! How did I get into this in the first place? My apologies to all offended!
Elliott, you've just been politically and socially mugged, mate - and tugged back into line. That's how the unions work. Ugly eh?
TB, what 'half' of what Elliot said was 'offensive'?

ER
03-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi David, please take all my political statements with a grain of salt, I just make noise till Howie removes me from the wrong category in the "Am I The Only Smoker?" thread!

See, smarty? that was said long before True Believer cut me down to size and rightly so! Having said that, ok I admit I am a softy, I can't stand to hurt or offend people with my statements or actions, I can't live with it, I have to apologise, now can you take me off that list? Take yourself out too? :)

eclectic
03-04-2009, 08:38 PM
i see the anzac day weekender has now been added to the grand prix

ER
05-04-2009, 03:19 AM
MCC and NPCC work together!!!
PRESS RELEASE BY MCC PRES GRANT SZUVEGES
After discussions with Noble Park Chess Club, we would like to announce that players playing in Noble Park tournaments can play their postponed games ahead of time at Melbourne Chess Club - even if they are not MCC members. A visitors fee will not be required for this. This was already the case, although it seems that most people didnt know about it... Bear it in mind though, that games from Noble Parks current event need to be played before the Saturday of the round if they are not being played at Noble Park on the Saturday. So players playing there, if you have a game that you cant make it to, dont forfeit it, play it at the MCC if possible... It is easy for our club to accomodate this, as we are open 7 days per week. Good luck to all players playing at Noble Park for their upcoming games...
Grant Szuveges, MCC president

ER
05-04-2009, 03:20 AM
i see the anzac day weekender has now been added to the grand prix
And that's very much owed to your (and Watto's) original requests! :clap:

ER
05-04-2009, 03:33 AM
Grant Szuveges reports:The building fund has now raised over $2400, and it was good to see so many allegro players donate prize money and buy raffle tickets today..."

Narelle
05-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi Tasso,

Thanks for posting this.
Would you please put a copy of your post 127 in the Anzac Day Weekender thread as well? This is important as the last round of Noble Park's Club Championship is on Saturday 25th April clashing with the Anzac Day Weekender.

Many Thanks
Narelle

ER
05-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi Tasso,

Thanks for posting this.
Would you please put a copy of your post 127 in the Anzac Day Weekender thread as well? This is important as the last round of Noble Park's Club Championship is on Saturday 25th April clashing with the Anzac Day Weekender.

Many Thanks
Narelle

Hi Narelle, how are you?
Yes, I will certainly do that, only I will reword the text so
1) it would be more relevant to the nature of that particular thread and
2) We, thus, avoid dublications of identical texts in two different threads!
Cheers! :)

ER
06-04-2009, 11:47 PM
This is a Press Release by MCC President Grant Szuveges

The MCC building fund raffle has been drawn!
The MCC has made $2589 towards our building fund - this is enough to get our toilets renovated, so the club will soon be a much more appealing place to play...
The club would like to thank everyone who bought raffle tickets, or made donations to the building fund - your donations are very much appreciated and will go a long way to making our club great again....
We would also like to thank the other clubs who gave us support in this endeavour - Box Hill chess club and Ballarat chess club who let us come and sell raffle tickets during their tournaments, but also to Noble Park chess club, Croydon chess club and Ranges chess club and their members for their moral support and ticket purchases, and for allowing us into their tri-series cup event. And to Hobson's Bay chess club and its members for their ticket purchases and for playing a match with us and Dandenong chess club and its members for buying and selling tickets, and also to Chess Victoria for its support and donations from its executive members...
We would also like to thank our wonderful members who bought tickets, sold tickets, donated their prize money, gave us moral support and put up with me pestering them to buy tickets for the past 2 months! Thankyou all for your contributions!
Now for the interesting stuff!
The winner of the 2009 MCC building fund raffle is ISAAC ZHAO!!! Isaac has won 10 hours of coaching from the following coaches:

GM Darryl Johansen
IM Guy West
IM Leonid Sandler
IM Robert Jamieson
Nick Speck
FM Micheal Baron
FM Bill Jordan
FM Grant Szuveges
Carl Gorka
Malcolm Pyke

Thankyou also to all of the coaches - not only for donating your time, but for doing so so willingly without having to be talked into it. Your generous donations of your time are very much appreciated and will hopefully make Isaac a very happy kid and one day a very strong chess player...

The minor prizes went to the following people:
Vietnamese handcrafted chess set: Aires Mascarenhas (MCC member)
Nepali traditional shawls: Oliver Lemmel (Box Hill member)
Guylian chocolates: Zlatko Varga (MCC member)
Lindt chocolates: Aires Mascarenhas (MCC) and Mark Salanowski (Hobsons Bay member)
Souvlaki King meal voucher: Tristan Rayson-Hill (MCC member)
Book and Cd package: Zlatko Varga (MCC member)
DVD package: Aires Mascarenhas (MCC) (Aires bought 100 tickets I think)
MCC Bookshop vouchers of $30: Ken Czucman (Bendigo chess club?) and Aires Mascarenhas (MCC - again)
Some winners have already been contacted and others will be contacted asap..... Thankyou all for supporting our raffle and congratulations to those of you who won a prize!!!"

ER
06-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Hey guys, members of the MCC, or just visitors, who were at the MCC for the drawing of the Building Fund Raffle and the last Round of the Melbourne Chess Club Championship. earlier tonight!
Have you ever seen such a thing in the history of MCC?
I mean, where did all those kids, families, smiling faces come from?
Scenes of happy and jovial social interaction, blindfold kids, drawing lhe prizies, announcements, speaches, chess games!
if you, like me, think things have already started changing very drastically at the MCC, please drop us a line here and tell us your impressions about the new Melbourne Chess Club!

Bill Gletsos
06-04-2009, 11:57 PM
This is a Press Release by MCC President Mark Szuveges :doh: :doh: :doh:

ER
07-04-2009, 12:02 AM
:doh: :doh: :doh:
lol ok! I corrected it :)

Carl Gorka
11-04-2009, 05:59 PM
The good news:

When I walked into the MCC today, it was to a fresh smell and a clean atmosphere. The steam cleaning of the carpets has totally rejuvenated the building and with the imminent paint jobs and renovation of the toilet blocks, the club will be a very pleasant place to hang out in, let alone play chess:)

So when the ANZAC Day weekender starts on Saturday 25th April a lot of new and old visitors to the MCC should be surprised at the quality of the club building. Thankyou to Brian Jones for adding this event to the Grand Prix and our apologies go to him for giving late information about this event. Brian's generous acceptance of the event into the Grand Prix should make it more attractive to players to participate in and hopefully we will have a decent field:)

There will also be a couple of free places on offer for the ANZAC Day Weekender. The winner of next Saturday's Allegro (18th April) will win a free entry to the ANZAC Day Weekender, as will the winner of our inaugural Friday Night Blitz Event on Friday 24th April (more details soon). All the more reason for playing in these fun events :D

The bad news:

Well sad, rather than bad. Whenever a committed member of any organisation leaves for a period of time it is sad, and Paul Cavezza has contributed his time, and effort, and generally been an active part of the reinvigorated MCC. He has played in the Club Championship, and Allegro's, played in our match against Hobson's Bay, been part of the Endgame Study Group and has turned up at our Tuesday Novice nights. Basically, if there is something happening Paul has been keen and willing to join in, or help out and that sort of person is difficult to replace at any club. So, I think I can speak for the whole club here when I say have a great time away, thanks for all you've done this year, and we all look forward to seeing you back at MCC in the future.

Carl

Paul Cavezza
11-04-2009, 08:47 PM
damn! Great allegro prize, i would've been studying up for that one.
Thanks so much to everyone for their well wishes, was touched to receive the card from the allegro crowd plus the MCC furniture Greg, Elie and everyone else;) Have had a great great time at the MCC recently, whether it be going through interminable combinations with greg and francis, playing blitz with Grant, Milan (strong), Alec, Ti, Zlatko and everyone else, The great and very strong Club Champs which taught me a lot (about pain), and having fun and learning lots with end game and allegro stuff.

I hope to come back much stronger and steal lots of aussie ratings points;)

Thanks for the choccies and thanks go especially to Grant, Carl, Malcolm, Pano, Steve, Marcus for arbiting and everyone on the committee on behalf of everyone at the club. The amount they've done has been amazing and the club is an entirely different place. It is much appreciated by all.

I may have to come back briefly for a wedding in September, if so see you then, otherwise I hope it all keeps going famously and see you in a year. Also- more people should go to the end game group wednesday nights! crazy not to. seeya soon;) Paul

Davidflude
12-04-2009, 11:13 AM
The good news:

When I walked into the MCC today, it was to a fresh smell and a clean atmosphere. The steam cleaning of the carpets has totally rejuvenated the building and with the imminent paint jobs and renovation of the toilet blocks, the club will be a very pleasant place to hang out in, let alone play chess:)

It is great to see that the renovations are well under way. Victoria needs a strong Melbourne Chess Club for all manner of reasons.

So when the ANZAC Day weekender starts on Saturday 25th April a lot of new and old visitors to the MCC should be surprised at the quality of the club building. Thankyou to Brian Jones for adding this event to the Grand Prix and our apologies go to him for giving late information about this event. Brian's generous acceptance of the event into the Grand Prix should make it more attractive to players to participate in and hopefully we will have a decent field:)

There will also be a couple of free places on offer for the ANZAC Day Weekender. The winner of next Saturday's Allegro (18th April) will win a free entry to the ANZAC Day Weekender, as will the winner of our inaugural Friday Night Blitz Event on Friday 24th April (more details soon). All the more reason for playing in these fun events :D

I doubt that I will play the Anzac Day weekender but this is mainly for non chess reasons. I need to concentrate on exercising every day and eating the right foodstuffs. Weekend tournaments make both tasks harder.

Denis_Jessop
12-04-2009, 01:12 PM
It is great to see that the renovations are well under way. Victoria needs a strong Melbourne Chess Club for all manner of reasons.

I doubt that I will play the Anzac Day weekender but this is mainly for non chess reasons. I need to concentrate on exercising every day and eating the right foodstuffs. Weekend tournaments make both tasks harder.

As a former Victorian chess player (MUCC and StKilda CC), I'm glad to hear that the MCC is apparently regaining prestige and involvement in things.

Regarding your second point, David, you could follow Nimzovitch's example, when told by his doctor to take more exercise, and do physical jerks between moves :)

DJ

MichaelBaron
12-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I can only welcome addition of the friday night blitz to the MCC calendar! :clap:

eclectic
12-04-2009, 02:47 PM
I can only welcome addition of the friday night blitz to the MCC calendar! :clap:

yes it shifts the centre of gravity away from you know where :whistle:

Davidflude
13-04-2009, 09:21 AM
yes it shifts the centre of gravity away from you know where :whistle:

people assist the Melbourne Chess Club but you cannot resist a cheap shot.

ElevatorEscapee
13-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi Guys!

I'd love to play in the Anzac Day weekender, but I am afraid I have an assignment due the following Monday (27th), and given my track history, there is no way I will ever get it anywhere near finished before Friday 24th... maybe next year!

I wish all competitors and organisers the very best for this tournament and hope it all turns out a big positive for your club! :D

Carl Gorka
18-04-2009, 09:32 AM
COUNTRY
MEMBERSHIP
Only $50 per year

Country membership entitles the player to exactly the same benefits as a regular membership does!

Eligibility: anyone living 50km or more away from the Melbourne
GPO
Benefits: 1. MCC championship eligibility
2. right to represent MCC in matches against other clubs
3. unlimited use of the clubrooms during opening
hours.
4. special discounts from sponsors
5. $10 discounts on MCC events
6. $5 Saturday allegro entry (as opposed to $10 for non-members)
7. MCC bulletins sent to you
8. special discounts from MCC bookshop
9. voting rights at AGM

Enquires: Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075 or MCC 9416-3149

Country membership is definitely a worthwhile option if you come to Melbourne for a few weekenders per year and a few Saturday allegros. By being an MCC member, you are supporting the MCC, and a strong MCC is good for Victorian chess

Carl Gorka
18-04-2009, 09:37 AM
This is very very big news! Australia's strongest IM, David Smerdon will be playing in the MCC ANZAC day weekender! The tournament will be held over the weekend of the 25th and 26th April. At 7pm on the Sunday evening, David will also be doing a simultaneous exhibition at the club. The cost to play against David will be $20, with every cent of it going to the MCC building fund.

Free entries to the ANZAC Day Weekender will be given to:

Saturday 18th April winner of Saturday Allegro at 2pm at MCC.

Friday 24th April winner of inaugural Friday Night Blitz at 7pm at MCC.

Carl Gorka
18-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Friday Night Blitz

These weekly events will be starting on 24th April from 7pm.

Where? Melbourne Chess Club. 66 Leicester St, Fitzroy 3041. Telephone: 9416-3149

FORMAT? 11 round swiss. 5 minutes per player per game.

ENTRY FEES? Entry fee is $5 for Melbourne Chess Club members and $10 for non-members. Free entry to GMs and IMs.

PRIZES? The inaugural winner will receive free entry to the ANZAC Day Weekeneder, plus cash prizes depending on entries.

Details from Carl Gorka 0406021559

Davidflude
18-04-2009, 12:54 PM
This is very very big news! Australia's strongest IM, David Smerdon will be playing in the MCC ANZAC day weekender! The tournament will be held over the weekend of the 25th and 26th April. At 7pm on the Sunday evening, David will also be doing a simultaneous exhibition at the club. The cost to play against David will be $20, with every cent of it going to the MCC building fund.

Free entries to the ANZAC Day Weekender will be given to:

Saturday 18th April winner of Saturday Allegro at 2pm at MCC.

Friday 24th April winner of inaugural Friday Night Blitz at 7pm at MCC.

Due to a prior commitment I cannot play.

Best wishes,

David Flude

Carl Gorka
20-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Another Message from the president

"Hi everyone. Great news. The MCC building fund has now made over $3000!!! In other great news, we now have 91 members!!!! IM Greg Hjorth joined up earlier today! Keep up the good work Victorian chess community!"

ER
23-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Just before I went out for a walk down the beach and a light snack at Portobello, I received a phone call by Grant Szuveges...
"GM Gawain Jones is playing in the ANZAC Day weekender at the Melbourne Chess Club!!! I got a call this morning from Gawain and I can confirm that he will be playing in our tournament - along with IM David Smerdon and a growing number of other participants!!! If you want the opportunity of playing against Gawain (or David), come down to the club for the weekender this weekend. Entries close at 10am on Saturday morning.... Make sure you publish this at the ChessChat Forum before you go out"
That's Grant! His down to earth way of approaching situations, his "let's get on with the job" attitude, his good humour, exhibit the effective style of doing things the young way! Don't forget that the young President doesn't have all the time in the world to do the things he and his committee are committed to do for the MCC! He is working, goes to Uni, and plans family future with his partner.
Grant. also told me about how proud he is of his committee and the work done at the Club as well as the results of their collective efforts!
The membership now, stands over 90, the Building Fund has reached $3000 and increases, members have taken very seriously the taks of re-establishing MCC as a leading force in Australian Chess!
Back with more soon!

Davidflude
23-04-2009, 11:08 PM
It is amazing what a few live wires can do. Melbourne is alive and kicking.

We have lots of new committee members at Box Hill and not only did ideas flow at our committee meeting but lots of actions and persons grabbing jobs.

Our collective aim must be to strengthen Victorian Chess and that means we need lots of strong clubs.

eclectic
23-04-2009, 11:15 PM
i might take another cheap shot by joining as a country member :owned: ;)

ER
24-04-2009, 01:01 AM
i might take another cheap shot by joining as a country member :owned: ;)
Eclecticus!!!! Welcome back to civilisation mate, I was suspecting Bill was planning to keep you up there for ever!!! Now that you said the word, Grant might consider a honourary country membership for you! It's not going to be exactly cheap, but won't cost you the earth either!!! ;)

MichaelBaron
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Very strong blitz tournament happening at MCC tonight (and every friday night at 7 pm)!!!

Baron, Dragichevic, Gorka, Partsi and Colak are playing!!! Join us for fun and chess!

Carl Gorka
02-05-2009, 07:30 PM
MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT

"I am very pleased to announce that the Melbourne Chess Club now has 100 members for 2009! Earlier today the Scopelliti brothers Daniel and Paul signed up, bringing up the 100... In that 100, are included our 11 juniors - a huge improvement from last years total of 3.... We are very pleased with the rate of progress but we still want more members, so if you play a bit at the MCC, please join up! Allegro was successful today with juniors making up half of the field - see MCC Allegro post for details....

Grant"

ER
02-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I read informattion about the new tournament U-1500 in the related thread and since I consider it as one of the most important developments of the Club's numerous activities, I wish to underline the following points!!!

This tournament will be played as an 8 player round robin. I have the 8 players already, however if I can get another 6 players, we will have a 6 player round robin start up also (perhaps the next week).

The idea is a very interesting one! People, particularly those whose strength isn't up to the usual very high MCC standards are already discussing this matter and are likely to join in, now or at a later stage!

After games finish, we will be analysing at least some (hopefully all) of the games on the demonstration board - so it is effectively some free coaching. If you are interested in playing in the 6 player event, please contact me asap on 0401-925-075. The entry fee is $20 for non-members and free for MCC members. Hope to see you there this coming Tuesday night...

Now that's gotta be a first! Having your games analysed by experts right after you 've played them! And more than obviously having the chance to play in a formidable tournament and maybe win it too!
And for what??? for just $20.00 if you are not a member and for FREE if you are! Which means how important is to become a member if you aren't already!

ER
20-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Bulletin No 3 of the Melbourne Chess Club has now been circulated to the members of the Club.
Full of extremely useful information of the Club's activities, unpublished games and present developments, the bulletin is definitely one of the most impressive moves of Grant Szuveges and his Committee!

BennyG
20-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Yeah great job Grant keep up the good work:clap:

ER
24-05-2009, 07:04 PM
The Tri series of the MCC facing another two clubs, unexpectedly became Quadro with the Melbourne Chess Club placed against three other Clubs. Of what I know The Club did quite well in those very interesting encounters, but the most important aspect was the encouraging presence of MCC's juniors!
Report with scores etc later!

Grant Szuveges
28-06-2009, 11:23 PM
The "new era" MCC has had its first major success over the board! MCC junior Ari Dale has won the Victorian Under 12 Junior Championship! For more details, please check out the thread 09 VICTORIAN JUNIOR CHAMPS in tournament news and results.

Ari is one of many juniors who are now playing regularly at the MCC. Ari plays in most of our allegro and blitz events and gets coaching from Nick Speck on Saturday mornings. The hard work that he is putting into his chess is obviously paying off!

Congratulations Ari, you have made your family and your chess club very proud!

In other news, the MCC now has 119 members for 2009. Who will be number 120?

Davidflude
28-06-2009, 11:38 PM
The "new era" MCC has had its first major success over the board! MCC junior Ari Dale has won the Victorian Under 12 Junior Championship! For more details, please check out the thread 09 VICTORIAN JUNIOR CHAMPS in tournament news and results.

Ari is one of many juniors who are now playing regularly at the MCC. Ari plays in most of our allegro and blitz events and gets coaching from Nick Speck on Saturday mornings. The hard work that he is putting into his chess is obviously paying off!

Congratulations Ari, you have made your family and your chess club very proud!

In other news, the MCC now has 119 members for 2009. Who will be number 120?

I have seen Ari in two tournaments now. He is not just a promissing junior he also is a really good kid.

ER
12-07-2009, 12:07 PM
MELBOURNE CHESS CLUB : 121 MEMBERS!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

MichaelBaron
18-07-2009, 10:36 AM
My Sources are telling me membership will increase to 130 very shortly!

ER
24-07-2009, 01:38 AM
My Sources are telling me membership will increase to 130 very shortly!
My sources are telling me that the magic 150 number will be reached long before the end of the year! Informed circles place the great milestone to be reached around the MCC Melbourne Chess Cup!
Also there is a lot of movement in the station in regards to the Transfer Tournament!

Grant Szuveges
30-07-2009, 11:01 PM
JAK and Michael

Membership is now sitting at 126. So we need 4 more to reach 130 (short term) and 20 on top of that to get to the next level (150).

So, anyone out there who is thinking about joining, please do!!! Or sign up your kids - its only $40 per year for them!!!

Grant

Grant Szuveges
31-07-2009, 07:51 PM
We just got member number 127!!!

In other news, we have now got the guttering fixed, so come in and check it out!!!

ElevatorEscapee
31-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Edit, annoyingly the ^^ thingy (to refer to the post above) doesn't work when your post is shoved onto the next page). :)

In response to Grant's comment:

...In other news, we have now got the guttering fixed, so come in and check it out!!!

(My attempt at a humorous response was...)

Will I need a ladder? ;)

Lekko
31-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Grant will be conducting a guided tour of the MCC's refurbishments on saturday at 1:00. Coincidently, the tour finishes in time for the allegro at 2:00 ;)

Grant Szuveges
02-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Hi Nigel

No, you wont need a ladder, we have 2 at the MCC. How many other chess clubs have 2 ladders? I wouldnt think too many! Good to see that we are taking the lead in this respect... On a more serious note though, the guttering does look very swish - above the new murals, and can be seen easily from the street.

Hi Frank,

Guided tours may be the perfect way to raise some extra revenue for the building fund! Quite a lot has been done actually, so the tourists would definately get their moneys worth.... Maybe a special package deal combining a tour with the allegro entry fee...

But, the big news is that we now have 130 members!!!!!

Lets try to get to 140 now....

MichaelBaron
02-08-2009, 09:51 AM
This is great. Moscow chess club has 40 grandmasters but 1 ladder only. Belgrade chess club - 10 grandmasters but no ladders. and we got two :clap: This makes us the top chess club in the world in terms of ladder possession :)

Lekko
07-08-2009, 06:07 PM
This is great. Moscow chess club has 40 grandmasters but 1 ladder only. Belgrade chess club - 10 grandmasters but no ladders. and we got two :clap: This makes us the top chess club in the world in terms of ladder possession :)
You're not a chess club if you don't own a ladder. But we have multiple ladders!

Garvinator
07-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Or that you want to climb up in the world really fast ;)

Grant Szuveges
31-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi Everyone

I am very proud to announce that the new Melbourne Chess Club website has now been released and is available to the public. Please check it out. The address is as follows:

www.melbournechessclub.org

Miranda
31-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Great site! :clap: Congrats to those who put the work into it! I especially like the "Events Diary", very useful resource

Just one query: Under this page http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=65&Itemid=111 it says the committee's email is "committee@melbournechessclub.org" while on this one http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=105 it says to email "thecommittee@melbournechessclub.org"

WhiteElephant
31-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Yes, one of the best chess club sites I've seen. Makes MCC look modern and exciting to be a part of while retaining the historical aspects with Robert Brooking's book, etc. It is clear that a lot of time and effort has gone into the site. Great work!

Leonid Sandler
01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Congratulations guys! What a fantastic website with classy logo and plenty of very interesting and useful information.
For me personally it was very pleasing to see continuation of Latvian connections with so many players and organisers from small Baltic country were real legends of the Club.
And now website master Janis Lesinskas(presumably from Latvian backround)...
Well done MCC!
Leonid Sandler

Grant Szuveges
01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi Leonid

Yes, MCC has had a great tradition of Latvians playing at the club - Raipalis, Rudzitis, Lemezs, Malitis, Bergmanis etc. And yes, Janis' fathers side of the family are of Latvian descent.

Desmond
02-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes, one of the best chess club sites I've seen. Makes MCC look modern and exciting to be a part of while retaining the historical aspects with Robert Brooking's book, etc. It is clear that a lot of time and effort has gone into the site. Great work!What he said.

Grant Szuveges
11-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi Everyone

Not only does the MCC now have a brand new website (as already discussed), the MCC also has its own facebook page - thanks to the great work of MCC member Phil Gao. If you are on facebook, please join up or at least check it out.

Grant Szuveges
21-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Hi Everyone

Melbourne Chess Club will be open from 10am this week due to school holidays - meaning that anyone (junior or adult) can come in and play chess earlier.... For MCC members, this is free and for non-members it is $5 per day.

MichaelBaron
21-09-2009, 12:54 PM
this is just great! thank you to all MCC members who volunteered to run the club during morning hours!

Grant Szuveges
26-10-2009, 03:22 AM
The Melbourne Chess Club facebook page now has 50 members!!! Lets hope that we can get this number up to 70 asap....

ER
10-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Grant, the Park a few meters down the road from the Club is getting reshaped and of what I heard the council has plans to make it a functional community base. What about organising some Chess events there during the summer?

Grant Szuveges
11-11-2009, 11:18 AM
On Friday 20th November, Bunnings in Preston will be hosting a sausage sizzle to raise money for the MCC. The event will run from 8am through until 4pm.

While we have the venue, time etc, we still need more people to jump on board and help serve sausages. You dont need to be an MCC member, and you dont even need to be a chess player. All you need to do is serve sausages.

I will more than happily provide a written reference for anyone who helps out (particularly school leavers) mentioning that you have helped out with this community activity for one of the oldest chess clubs in the world.

So if you are not working on that Friday, or if you have finished school or uni for the year, or if you dont have a job or if you are simply looking for something to do that day, please contact me asap and come down to help out. I can be contacted by phone 0401-925-075 or email grantszuveges@gmail.com

These Bunnings sausages sizzles usually raise between $1500 and $2000 per day for the organizations involved, so hopefully we can raise these much needed funds for the MCC.

Mischa
11-11-2009, 09:17 PM
can't help..it is my birthday

ER
26-11-2009, 12:59 AM
On Friday 20th November, Bunnings in Preston will be hosting a sausage sizzle to raise money for the MCC. The event will run from 8am through until 4pm.
Hi Grant any details of how we went with this?
also
Any plans for a Fischer - Random tournament at the Club for next year? Suggestion: We can have it along with a Transfer tournament!

Grant Szuveges
26-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Grant any details of how we went with this?
also
Any plans for a Fischer - Random tournament at the Club for next year? Suggestion: We can have it along with a Transfer tournament!

This went well. We collected about $850 on the day. Im not sure exactly how much our expenses were, but I think we made about $700.

Id like to thank the following people who worked with me cooking and serving sausages and playing chess with the general public on the day.

David Beaumont
Elliot Renzies
David Stimson
Sema Tuncer
Anne - Maree Rourke
Helena Smirnis
Jack Puccini
Anna Watson
Roger McCart

I hope I havnt forgotten anyone!

Id also like to thank Sema Tuncer for donating all of the bread and Alex Kaplan for donating and organising the sausages.

Hopefully we can run another one of these in January.

I recommend to all clubs to do one of these Bunnings Sausage Sizzles - as they are a fun way of raising money for your club and you also promote chess to the general public while they eat sausages... It was great to see David Beaumont and Jack Puccini playing chess against the general public at the event.

Lekko
05-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Grant, or anyone else on the committee for that matter. I was talking with Chris Kolak today after the allegro and the subject of a Christmas Swiss came up. Will there be one at MCC this year? I'm sure most of the regular Allegro crowd will turn up. This can be a followup to the allegro championship (which in my opinion was an amazing success!).

Bereaved
05-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi HBK,

Will start a new thread in a few minutes, but thanks and yes there definitely will be a Christmas Swiss, which will be a rapid play weekender

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Lekko
06-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi HBK,

Will start a new thread in a few minutes, but thanks and yes there definitely will be a Christmas Swiss, which will be a rapid play weekender

Take care and God Bless, Macavity
That's great to hear! Thanks for the prompt reply Macavity.

Davidflude
06-12-2009, 05:30 AM
That's great to hear! Thanks for the prompt reply Macavity.

Why not post the details as these have been public for some time.

I talked to Grant and we made sure that the was no conflict in dates between the Melbourne weekender and The Canterbury Junior Chess Club Summer Swiss.
Details are given on a separate thread.

Davidflude
06-12-2009, 05:34 AM
I spoke to a very strong "mystery player" to whom I suggested that he should think about playing in both The Canterbury Junior Chess Club Summer Swiss and
the Melbourne weekender.

At present his arrangements are not finalized.

ER
06-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Why not post the details as these have been public for some time.

I talked to Grant and we made sure that the was no conflict in dates between the Melbourne weekender and The Canterbury Junior Chess Club Summer Swiss.
Details are given on a separate thread.

There is no conflict and details have been published!

Lekko
06-01-2010, 02:16 AM
I've been working on getting the DGT board going at MCC. Now all we need is to setup the files to load to the website since everything has been installed on a "server" computer I set up to exclusively host the live games.

Hopefully this will all be finalised by Saturday so that this weeks allegro board 1 games can be viewed via MCC's website.

Watto
06-01-2010, 09:27 AM
I've been working on getting the DGT board going at MCC. Now all we need is to setup the files to load to the website since everything has been installed on a "server" computer I set up to exclusively host the live games.

Hopefully this will all be finalised by Saturday so that this weeks allegro board 1 games can be viewed via MCC's website.
Hey, well done. That's great news. :)

Lekko
07-01-2010, 08:27 PM
DGT board update:
We are currently looking for the cable that connects the board to the computer. Grant and Tristan will looking at places like Dick Smith for such a chord. Hopefully they can get the chord in before then.

As for the FTP side of it all, I have tested it on my domain, and you can see my progress at http://no-wai.org/live/tfd.htm
I will be organising the FTP access for the MCC website tomorrow, however, if the MCC website can not be ready before Saturday, I will be hosting the games at my website.

I will provide further updates when the chord is ready!

DavidWiatr
09-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Hi,

r u still hosting the MCC allegro on your site

thx

MichaelBaron
15-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi,

thx

Yep its on every Saturday 2 pm! See you there, David

Lekko
16-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Hi,

thx
If you're referring to the website, then no. The board doesn't have the standard cable required to send games from the board to the computer. As soon as we get it, I'll update everyone on this thread.

If you're referring to the allegro itself' it's at MCC from 2-6pm.

Lekko
16-01-2010, 05:12 PM
DGT Boards are up and running well following this week's first use of the boards. Hopefully next week the MCC domain will be ready to host them. If not, I'm trying to get the chesschat admins to see if they are willing to host the games here so that you guys can see them (the link it is currently loaded to is filtered by chesschat).

Carl Gorka
18-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Congratulations to MCC members who won National rapid titles yesterday.

James Morris U18 Rapid Champion
Bobby Cheng U14 Rapid Champion
Ari Dale U-12 Rapid Champion

Later today a report on MCC members at the Australian Junior Championships will be published on my blog http://mccchess.wordpress.com/.

Thanks for all for visiting the site:)

Grant Szuveges
29-01-2010, 12:16 AM
I am very pround to announce that today the MCC disposed of its horrible old couch which we all had the displeasure of sitting on. (My father took it to the tip in his van - thanks dad). We have replaced it with a stylish and comfortable burgundy couch made of good quality leather. So this year if you become an MCC member, you will have the opportunity to sit on a couch of the finest quality between your games of chess. Come down to MCC this Saturday to see the couch - and stay for the allegro. If yours is the first game finished, you may even have the couch all to yourself!

Carl Gorka
31-01-2010, 11:19 PM
A very positive AGM tonight. 2010 promises much at the MCC.

http://mccchess.wordpress.com/

Grant Szuveges
03-02-2010, 11:57 PM
The MCC Building Fund Raffle is on again in 2010, and this year it is even bigger, with 14 coaches donating an hour of coaching as the first prize! Most of the coaches from last year have donated their time once again, and we may even get some more! We also have a few more coaches who have jumped on board this year. There will be several prizes once again, and these will be announced in due course.

The raffle will be drawn on Monday April 19th - 15 minutes before the beginning of the final round of the MCC Championship!

The 2009 MCC Building Fund appeal made possible many structural, safety and cosmetic improvements at the MCC including the following:
-A new electrical switchboard
-A new mural on the outside of the building
-New carpet
-New guttering on the outside of the building
-A new couch
-Updated honour boards
-Repairs to the numerous broken windows
-New required office equipment
-A new website
While safety issues have been addressed first, we hope to spend the money collected from the 2010 raffle on cosmetic improvements at MCC.

First Prize: An hour of coaching from each of the following coaches.
GM Darryl Johansen
IM Guy West
IM Robert Jamieson
IM James Morris
IM Leonid Sandler
FM Michael Baron
FM Bill Jordan
FM Grant Szuveges
Carl Gorka
Jesse Jager
Malcolm Pyke
Pano Skiotis
David Cordover
Frank Meerbach

Other prizes: to be announced

Tickets: $2 per ticket

Enquiries: Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075 or the clubrooms 9416-3149

Grant Szuveges
09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
The MCC Building Fund Raffle is on again in 2010, and this year it is even bigger, with 14 coaches donating an hour of coaching as the first prize! Most of the coaches from last year have donated their time once again, and we may even get some more! We also have a few more coaches who have jumped on board this year. There will be several prizes once again, and these will be announced in due course.

The raffle will be drawn on Monday April 19th - 15 minutes before the beginning of the final round of the MCC Championship!

The 2009 MCC Building Fund appeal made possible many structural, safety and cosmetic improvements at the MCC including the following:
-A new electrical switchboard
-A new mural on the outside of the building
-New carpet
-New guttering on the outside of the building
-A new couch
-Updated honour boards
-Repairs to the numerous broken windows
-New required office equipment
-A new website
While safety issues have been addressed first, we hope to spend the money collected from the 2010 raffle on cosmetic improvements at MCC.

First Prize: An hour of coaching from each of the following coaches.
GM Darryl Johansen
IM Guy West
IM Robert Jamieson
IM James Morris
IM Leonid Sandler
FM Michael Baron
FM Bill Jordan
FM Grant Szuveges
Carl Gorka
Jesse Jager
Malcolm Pyke
Pano Skiotis
David Cordover
Frank Meerbach

Other prizes: to be announced

Tickets: $2 per ticket

Enquiries: Grant Szuveges 0401-925-075 or the clubrooms 9416-3149

The MCC has just confirmed that Nick Speck will be the 15th coach offering an hour of coaching to the winner of the raffle! Nick has been overseas so it took a bit longer to confirm his participation. Great to have him onboard once again!

Lekko
16-02-2010, 07:13 PM
The MCC website is set to host it's live games. The live games (usually board 1) can be viewed from:

http://www.melbournechessclub.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=114

Lekko
02-06-2010, 10:20 PM
All future competitions held from MCC should now feature the board 1 game live from the above link. We recently updated the system in which the computer's received the moves and can now present the games from the "bunker room" where the top 6 boards have been traditionally held.

The Monday night tournaments (currently board 1 of the City of Melbourne Open) starting at 7:15pm, the occasional Thursday night tournament starting from 7:30pm, and the Saturday allegros from 2pm will be available to view from this week onwards.

Grant Szuveges
10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
The MCC website is now displaying player interviews. I hope to interview quite a number of people throughout the year and the first cab off the rank is GM David Smerdon. To see the interview, go to www.melbournechessclub.org

Grant Szuveges
19-06-2010, 09:52 AM
The MCC website is now displaying player interviews. I hope to interview quite a number of people throughout the year and the first cab off the rank is GM David Smerdon. To see the interview, go to www.melbournechessclub.org

Doesnt anybody out there have an opinion about this?

Metro
19-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Doesnt anybody out there have an opinion about this?
A welcome addition to the site.Members profiles (such as H.Bay CC) are a good addition.http://hobsonsbaychess.info/idx.htmA junior member may wish to undertake this job as a school project.

Paul Cavezza
20-06-2010, 10:02 AM
nice interviews guys!

Grant Szuveges
06-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Have a look at the MCC website www.melbournechessclub.org for the latest interview - This time I have interviewed IM Guy West...

Paul Cavezza
06-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Brilliant interview!

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
08-07-2010, 08:09 PM
The interviews have been interesting.

Given that next MCC tournament is the Edwin Malitis memorial in honour of the late long-time MCC player and treasurer, may be suggested that perhaps some of the more senior members be interviewed before they reached their dotage. Maybe the first such interview could be of former MCC president and Victorian Court judge Bob Brooking - it be interesting to hear how he is going with his update to "Care for a Game" (see post by FM Bill in another thread on the MCC's history). Then perhaps others such as Bob Krstic, Doug Hamilton, etc.

Another potentially interesting interviewee would be IM Greg Hjorth - many younger players do not know of this very talented chess player and academic. It would great to hear what he had been up to prior to his recent return to Melbourne from academic posts overseas.

Grant Szuveges
31-07-2010, 02:29 AM
The interviews have been interesting.

Given that next MCC tournament is the Edwin Malitis memorial in honour of the late long-time MCC player and treasurer, may be suggested that perhaps some of the more senior members be interviewed before they reached their dotage. Maybe the first such interview could be of former MCC president and Victorian Court judge Bob Brooking - it be interesting to hear how he is going with his update to "Care for a Game" (see post by FM Bill in another thread on the MCC's history). Then perhaps others such as Bob Krstic, Doug Hamilton, etc.

Another potentially interesting interviewee would be IM Greg Hjorth - many younger players do not know of this very talented chess player and academic. It would great to hear what he had been up to prior to his recent return to Melbourne from academic posts overseas.

I had actually planned to interview Bob Brooking next already, but he has gone overseas on holiday, so it will have to wait until he gets back. The Hjorth interview will happen soon though...

Grant Szuveges
31-07-2010, 02:30 AM
The latest interview in my series on the MCC website www.melbournechessclub.org is with FM Michael Baron. Check out the website to have a look....

morebeer
26-08-2010, 08:44 AM
MCC was mentioned briefly on last nights edition of the Chaser...rolling out a fairly mouldy aphorism, any publicity is good publicity...I guess

Kevin Bonham
26-08-2010, 06:22 PM
MCC was mentioned briefly on last nights edition of the Chaser...rolling out a fairly mouldy aphorism, any publicity is good publicity...I guess

This looked like a footage segment from "The Insiders" - does anyone know when the full version was shown and whether the footage is available?

They have hassled our club a few times but we can never get enough players of their desired mix available at the right time.

MichaelBaron
28-08-2010, 10:59 AM
This looked like a footage segment from "The Insiders" - does anyone know when the full version was shown and whether the footage is available?

They have hassled our club a few times but we can never get enough players of their desired mix available at the right time.

The footage is available from the Insiders website. Can be viewed online but I believe it is impossible to save the video on the comp :(

Kevin Bonham
28-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks, I found it via http://www.abc.net.au/insiders/content/2010/s2906852.htm

Didn't know this had been on; I missed TCG's post about it as I was away in Queensland at that time.

Kaitlin
28-08-2010, 05:07 PM
..describe in plain words what the 'desired mix' would look like ???

Kevin Bonham
28-08-2010, 05:14 PM
..describe in plain words what the 'desired mix' would look like ???

At least one would have to be female.

Lekko
01-09-2010, 04:34 AM
Is there a thread for the next monday night tournament? Melbourne chess club open I think its called? I'd like that play in that.

MichaelBaron
01-09-2010, 05:50 PM
and its a great tournament too!

Grant Szuveges
03-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Hi everyone

My latest interview is up on the club website - this time I have interviewed IM Greg Hjorth!

DogLover
30-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Hello MCC members!
Firstly I hope I am posting this in the right thread.I have installed Linux on one of MCC's computers with the permission of Grant Szuveges.The reason for this is that MCC has had trouble with malware taking over their windows installations , wiping out data and slowing computers down.I am asking people not familiar with Linux to give it a good go and to make an effort to get familiar with it.Hopefully you will come to like it and see that in the case of MCC,it is the best operating system to use.Happy computing at MCC!

Jesse Jager
30-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Which Linux has been installed? I am assuming that Linux is fully compatible with Swiss Perfect.

DogLover
30-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Which Linux has been installed? I am assuming that Linux is fully compatible with Swiss Perfect.

Ubuntu 10.04 Linux and yes it runs "swiss perfect" very well.Whether it is exactly fully compatible,I don't know.It is also probably able to run the DGT board software but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.At the moment there is a windows machine left at MCC to run the DGT board software.

Paul Cavezza
01-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi all, good job DL.

Why is Linux less susceptable to malware?

@ www.download.com you can easily download Avast, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Ad-Aware and Tune Up utilities for free. Should provide idiot-proof protection when surfing...

DogLover
01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi all, good job DL.

Why is Linux less susceptable to malware?

@ www.download.com you can easily download Avast, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Ad-Aware and Tune Up utilities for free. Should provide idiot-proof protection when surfing...

Thanks,I am not the best person to answer your question as I am not a computer security expert,however the main reason probably is that there is a lot less malware created that runs on Linux.Criminals mainly focus on creating malware for windows since it is more commonly used on desktop computers.

If any MCC members or other people have questions about Linux feel free to send me a personal message.Thanks.

Grant Szuveges
20-10-2010, 09:14 PM
We are currently updating all of the systems at the MCC. The main one which we have just finished (if you could say that it is ever finished) is a new mailing list. If you would like your name added to our mailing list, please send me (via a pm) your name, address, phone number and email address and I will add you to the list.

Grant Szuveges, MCC President

Carl Gorka
25-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Last night the MCC had a committee meeting and among other things it was decided to suspend DGT transmissions until some maintenance and training have been undertaken. That way no one will be disappointed as happened during the MCC Cup Weekender. Hopefully DGT will come back to the MCC website soon.

Thanks

Carl Gorka

http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=292564&postcount=284

Grant Szuveges
05-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi all

Apparently there was a player called Steve who played at MCC who died approx 10 years ago. We are trying to work out who this could be. If anyone knows who it might be, please tell us...

Grant (on behalf of various MCC members)

Grant Szuveges
07-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Last night the MCC had its annual AGM. It was a fairly standard affair without anything controversial coming up. The big news however is that 3 people have now been given MCC life membership:

GM David Smerdon
GM Zhong Yuan Zhao
FM Bobby Cheng

David and Zhong Yean were given life membership for attaining the GM title and Bobby for winning the World Under 12 Championship.

The other news is that the committee has changed slightly with Carl Gorka, Pano Skiotis and Bob Krstic all stepping down after 2 years of service to MCC. Id like to thank all of them for their enormous contributions over the past 2 years. The new committe is as follows:

President: Grant Szuveges
Vice President: Elizabeth Warren
Treasurer: Andrew Saint
Secretary: John Beckman
Registrar: Simon Dale
Committee Member: Alex Kaplan
Committee Member: Jesse Jager
Committee Member: Paul Cavezza

We are looking forward to a big year this year at MCC.

Watto
07-02-2011, 10:19 PM
GM David Smerdon
GM Zhong Yuan Zhao
FM Bobby Cheng

David and Zhong Yean were given life membership for attaining the GM title and Bobby for winning the World Under 12 Championship.

Congratulations to the outgoing committee for all the hard work they've done in rebuilding the club. You've done a fantastic job. :clap: Congratulations and good luck to the new committee for 2011!

Regarding the life memberships, this decision does seem a trifle odd to me. GMs Zong-Yuan Zhao and David Smerdon are wonderful players and two of the nicest people you could find in chess. I'm a big supporter of both of them. Having said that, it only really makes sense to me (emotionally and logically) that Bobby Cheng has been made a life member as he is actually an existing member of the MCC who regularly plays there.

Oepty
07-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Andrew Saint should be a good addition to the committee, good work getting him on board.
Scott

MichaelBaron
07-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Congratulations to the outgoing committee for all the hard work they've done in rebuilding the club. You've done a fantastic job. :clap: Congratulations and good luck to the new committee for 2011!

Regarding the life memberships, this decision does seem a trifle odd to me. GMs Zong-Yuan Zhao and David Smerdon are wonderful players and two of the nicest people you could find in chess. I'm a big supporter of both of them. Having said that, it only really makes sense to me (emotionally and logically) that Bobby Cheng has been made a life member as he is actually an existing member of the MCC who regularly plays there.

What about Politicians and scientists being given honorary doctorates by various universities :). In any case all 3 absolutely deserve it! In fact, let make a rule that any GM that comes to MCC automatically becomes life member!

Watto
08-02-2011, 12:41 AM
What about Politicians and scientists being given honorary doctorates by various universities :). In any case all 3 absolutely deserve it! In fact, let make a rule that any GM that comes to MCC automatically becomes life member!
Yes, it's being treated exactly like an honorary doctorate and I don't think life memberships should work that way. It's just my opinion and I'm not that fussed about it (and it's not my intention to embarrass anyone) but I think they should be awarded to club members who have contributed significantly to the club. As for all three absolutely deserving life memberships, well, that's a rather inane statement imho... followed by an even sillier one :)

ER
05-03-2011, 05:57 AM
How did I miss that????
Finley Dale, the Melbourne Chess Club junior is the most improved player in Australia for the March quarter!
Congratulations Finley, good work! Keep it up!: :clap:

FM_Bill
24-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm not in favour of ANY honorary life memberships for chess achievements. I think , at most, a few should be given for exceptional service to the club. e.g.I think Carl Nater got one for the work involved in researching and buying new premises. I don't believe in honorary doctorates (like the ones Jeff Kennett used to get) either. I don't think Jeff should get a life membership either.

Where do you draw the line? Should Anatoly Sirota be made a life member for winning the World Email Cup? Should Edward Khoze get one for winning the Soviet Union Under 10? Should Chris Fenwick (correspondence GM) get one?

One player got one for being a former Australian champion. Should all former Australian champions get one?

There are drawbacks to giving out life memberships for chess achievement. Recepients may be indifferent or even hostile to the club. They may live interstate. Do all these people need to be contacted about each AGM?
This is all extra trouble.

In the case of paying members, a free membership represents a lot of lost revenue.

Should any old GMs who come to the club get one? I don't think the dodgy German prankster who visited the club should get one, even if she was a GM.
Some overseas GMs have bought their title, should they get one? What about the Swiss 'grandmaster' who came to Melbourne. GMs are *way* more numerous (and weaker) than they used to be. In the future there could be an influx of GMs, especially from India etc.

Hardly a major issue, the main thing is I'd would like to point out there are different ways of looking at it.

Hobbes
08-01-2012, 11:40 PM
lQBoxZe0FbA

Grant Szuveges
28-09-2012, 03:04 AM
Great news if you are an FM!

As of 1st Janurary 2013, FMs and WFMs will receive free entry into all MCC events - as long as they are MCC members.

If you are an FM (or WFM) there has never been a better time to buy an MCC life membership!!!

Hobbes
13-07-2013, 08:05 AM
The Melbourne Chess Club has successfully implemented its Pest Eradication program, making the club a more enjoyable place to visit!

jammo
13-07-2013, 01:29 PM
The Melbourne Chess Club has successfully implemented its Pest Eradication program, making the club a more enjoyable place to visit!

Yes, It's great now that Firegoat has been banned.

antichrist
13-07-2013, 01:48 PM
well everybody be good little peanut butters and be tidy constantly, so poor Pano can get a break. It makes the place more desirable and will encourage players to stay longer. Good luck to you all and make peace with BA one day if possible.