PDA

View Full Version : Hungarofest chess Tournament

deanhogg
02-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Hungarofest Chess Tournament
14-15 February 2009, 760, Boronia Rd. Wantirna

Dear Chess Friends,

You are invited to be a participant of the “HUNGAROFEST CHESS TOURNAMENT” to be held at the Hungarian Community Center.

PRIZE money for the winner: $ 300.
Entry fee: $ 20

The Chess Tournament is a co- program of the Hungarofest, which is a three- day event organised annually by the Hungarian community in Melbourne.

The Hungarofest is aiming to represent the Hungarian culture and showing it to the public that is to the friendly people in Melbourne. Visitors will have a picture about Hungarian arts, folk dance, music and can taste Hungarian food including the world famous GULYAS and LANGOS.

HUNGAROFEST CHESS TOURNAMENT
Swiss system, 11 Round, 2 X 20 minutes /match
Arbiter:
President of the Tournament: Grant Suveges
Welcome speech: Istvan Vilagos –Honorary Consul of Hungary in Melbourne

Venue: In the lover ground floor of the Youth Hall, Hungarian Community Center,
760, Boronia Rd. Wantirna.

Date and time:
Day 1: Saturday (14 February,)
10 am -12 am (Opening + Enrolling + 1st round)
Lunch break 12- 2 pm (Time for having GULYAS )
2 pm – 6 pm( 2nd , 3rd, 4th, 5th round)

Day 2: Sunday (15 February)
10 am -12 am ( 6th, - 7th round)
Lunch break 12- 2 pm (Time for having GULYAS )
2 pm – 6 pm( 8th – 11th, round)

Endre Simon
Email: endre.simon@bigpond.com <mailto:endre.simon@bigpond.com> , Phone: (03) 9325 1809 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Saragossa
02-02-2009, 02:26 AM
AWWWWW thats my sisters birthday I would have loved to come to it. Is it an annual thing?

Metro
02-02-2009, 02:34 AM
AWWWWW thats my sisters birthday I would have loved to come to it. Is it an annual thing?
First time I have come across it but a welcome addition to the calendar.Hope it is a regular as Hungary has a great chess history:clap:

ER
02-02-2009, 05:46 AM
I agree with Met in regards to the Chess thing.
Moreover, Hungary is a lovely country, with a wealth of cultural, sporting and intellectual tradition! Add to that the heroic struggles of her wonderful people for freedom throughout the ages and you have a unique peaceful nation!
My love affair with Hungary began when I was about 7 yo, with names such as Puskas.(one of the best if not the best ever footballer in the world - whom I interviewed at least three times when he was in Australia and from whose mouth I heard scores of anecdotal stories and jokes (*) Grosics, Czibor (my favourite of them all, my idol Zoltan) Hidegkuti, Lantos, Zakarias, Bozsik, and the man of sorrows Kocsis, just to name a few members of the Golden Team, were my childhood heroes and will be in my heart forever.
Later on, it was the tragic yet so heroic events of 1956 that increased my enthusiasm and made my love affair with Hungary and its people an eternal one!
Of course I will be there! Let's make that event successful in 2009 and in the years to come!!!
(*) Every time I spoke to Ferenc, I kept on asking him hard questions about things and situations he went through his eventful life...) His initial response was always rejective, using his own idiom of speaking in Greek he would only say something like "esi hondro figi, ase me isihia, ego de milai", which could be verbatim tranlated into English into something like... " You, fat boy goes, leave me quiet, I no talks" ... However, after a few glasses of wine and about three or four serves of his favourite dishes, he d' tell me "ego se po istoria alla esi mi grapsis ego kopso arkidi" Again translated into English into something like "I will tell you story, but you don't write, I will cut your (...unprintable word)!!!
To cut a long story short after I asked him what exactly happened in that infamous incident in the half-time rest of that World Cup 1954 match Hungary vs Brazil, after his initial hesitation he began telling me the story with the classic prologue "I will tell you story, but you don't write, I will cut two( :)- twice...unprintable word)!!!
I am talking too much though, for this and other stories mainly about Zoltan and in particular Alfredo Di Stefano I will tell you during the day... I will see you there!

ER
14-02-2009, 04:55 PM
hi all, How about that? $300 FIRST PRIZE and none turns up! For those interested, turn up tomorrow at 2 pm.
Unless, of course, all you Victorian ches players became rich all of a sudden and go like pffft what's $300!!!

THE TOURNAMENT IS OPEN TO ALL! Not only for the Hungarian Community, they are just the organisers!!!

Desmond
14-02-2009, 05:37 PM
For what it's worth, when I saw this thread title I assumed that this tournament was in Hungary.

I hope you get a better turnout tomorrow.

Kevin Bonham
14-02-2009, 05:40 PM
For what it's worth, when I saw this thread title I assumed that this tournament was in Hungary.

AC also assumed this when he actually posted to the thread and I asked him if "Boronia Rd. Wantirna" sounded Hungarian to him.

Unfortunately because I moved AC's post to another thread because of its nature, I moved my response as well so nobody just following this thread would have seen it.

Spiny Norman
14-02-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't get it. Someone must've been there surely!? I might have come and played under different circumstances, but the $20 entry fee disqualifies me unfortunately.

MichaelBaron
14-02-2009, 06:39 PM
$300 is good prize to play for but looks like i will be busy.

kjenhager
14-02-2009, 06:51 PM
If 2 people turn up , do they play a match for the $300 ?

MichaelBaron
14-02-2009, 07:27 PM
If 2 people turn up , do they play a match for the $300 ?

May be Hungarian chess club can donate $300 to the bushfire appeal

ER
16-02-2009, 05:19 AM
Grant Szuveges reports:

the Hungarian festival tournament was played today as an 8 player round robin.
The winner was Leonid Sandler who scored 6.5/7
Equal second were Bill Jordan and Jesse Jager on 5.5
Well done Leonid - he played like "a high powered vacuum cleaner" to claim first prize....