2009 Koshnitsky Medal: Charles Zworestine

2009 Purdy Medal: Amiel Rosario

Congratulations to all recipients. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Garrett
11-01-2009, 05:36 PM
yes - congratulations ! :clap:

Ian Murray
11-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Worthy recipients, one and all. My congratulations also.

I am reminded that I still need a Steiner Medal to complete my set. Selectors considering improving their retirement funds should PM me to do deals :lol:

Basil
11-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Well done, girls ... Carry on! :clap:

Alexrules01
11-01-2009, 08:58 PM
What achievement, or what do you need to do in order to gain these medals?
I have never heard of them, would like to know what they mean.

MichaelBaron
11-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Its great to see a blogger winning Purdy medal. :clap: It shows the changing face of journalism.

Adamski
11-01-2009, 09:20 PM
What achievement, or what do you need to do in order to gain these medals?
I have never heard of them, would like to know what they mean.Steiner Medal - best contribution by a player ; Koshnitsky Medal - best Administrator; Purdy Medal - best jounalist. Koshnitsky and Purdy have to go to people who have not previously won. Zhao has now won Steiner twice - Darryl Johansen has won it 6 times.
Names after Lajos Steiner, George Koshnitsky and Cecil J S Purdy.
ACF folks may wish to elaborate as this is very much a summary.

Congratulations to all 3 winners this time - all deserved. IA Charles Zworestine is currently Arbiter at the Junior in Adelaide.

Bill Gletsos
11-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Zhao has now won Steiner twice - Darryl Johansen has won it 6 times.Actually Zhao has won it 3 times (1998, 2007 and 2008).

Alexrules01
12-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Steiner Medal - best contribution by a player ; Koshnitsky Medal - best Administrator; Purdy Medal - best jounalist. Koshnitsky and Purdy have to go to people who have not previously won. Zhao has now won Steiner twice - Darryl Johansen has won it 6 times.

Congratulations to all 3 winners this time - all deserved. IA Charles Zworestine is currently Arbiter at the Junior in Adelaide.

Alright. Congrats to all winners!

Denis_Jessop
12-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Steiner Medal - best contribution by a player ; Koshnitsky Medal - best Administrator; Purdy Medal - best jounalist. Koshnitsky and Purdy have to go to people who have not previously won. Zhao has now won Steiner twice - Darryl Johansen has won it 6 times.

There may be a message in the Steiner medal results and not such a good one for Australian chess - the medal has been awarded since 1985 and 18 of the medals have been won by multiple winners:
Johansen 6
Rogers 5
Zhao 3
Smerdon 2
George Xie 2.

But congratulations to all of this year's medal winners!

DJ

Kevin Bonham
12-01-2009, 04:30 PM
For those not familiar with the Steiner Medal I should note that it does not necessarily go to the player judged to have played the strongest chess:

It is to be the player who has made the greatest impact, not necessarily the highest-rated - it is for the most notable achievement of the year.

ER
17-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Congratulations to all three!
You are making us proud!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

eclectic
17-03-2009, 09:27 PM
i left a tongue in cheek message over at tcg ;)