PDA

View Full Version : Croydon Chess News (2009)

Dougy
08-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi everyone! Croydon Chess have some exciting new events planned for 2009. Upcoming events:

8th, 15th, 22nd January. Casual chess from 7.00pm at L.J. Hooker, Mooroolbark.

Afterwards moving to the new premises: Croydon RSL.

29th January. Croydon Chess AGM (7.00pm), followed by casual chess, at Croydon RSL. The 2009 calendar will be finalised at the AGM and posted on the website http://www.croydonchess.com/.

5th February. International Master Guy West has generously volunteered to give a simultaneous exhibition. Guy West versus everyone! Visitors welcome. Join in and see if you can beat an Australian chess hero! (More details to follow.)

Along with the usual major tournaments, we also have two weekenders throughout the year: The Khalifman 4-5 April and The Anand 3-4 October. We are also continuing our "chess workshop" sessions and I'd be interested in hearing from people who'd like to give a lesson/lecture.

Watto
08-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi everyone! Croydon Chess have some exciting new events planned for 2009. Upcoming events:

8th, 15th, 22nd January. Casual chess from 7.00pm at L.J. Hooker, Mooroolbark.

Afterwards moving to the new premises: Croydon RSL.

29th January. Croydon Chess AGM (7.00pm), followed by casual chess, at Croydon RSL. The 2009 calendar will be finalised at the AGM and posted on the website http://www.croydonchess.com/.

5th February. International Master Guy West has generously volunteered to give a simultaneous exhibition. Guy West versus everyone! Visitors welcome. Join in and see if you can beat an Australian chess hero! (More details to follow.)

Along with the usual major tournaments, we also have two weekenders throughout the year: The Khalifman 4-5 April and The Anand 3-4 October. We are also continuing our "chess workshop" sessions and I'd be interested in hearing from people who'd like to give a lesson/lecture.
That all sounds great, Dougy.
I won't be able to make it tonight unfortunately but looking forward to seeing everyone at the AGM on the 29th January after we get back from Queenstown and at the Simul on the 5th Feb to celebrate the new venue at the Croydon RSL… !

Dougy
09-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Guy's simul is now listed on What's On in Maroondah (http://directories.maroondah.vic.gov.au/WIP/EventsDir.nsf/WebMonth/A002DE456F56604BCA257538000F8FB7?opendocument).

Dougy
16-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Good luck in NZ Watto et al.

By the way, if anyone is interested, a few of the Croydon crew are now on plasticbishop.com. My list has: peb, shelldrake, Tony65, underated. Oh and I'm Dougy on there too.

Dougy
19-01-2009, 08:55 AM
The website (http://www.croydonchess.com/) has been updated. Ta Frosty. (:

bobby1972
19-01-2009, 10:10 PM
is it possible to reserve a board my son would love to play in his first simul,also i remember playing the 1979 victorian champion in a simul 30 years ago at the old mcc in elizabeth street. so we would very much like to reserve a board if possible.

ER
20-01-2009, 12:00 AM
A very important piece of history!
Thanks to Pecori family for continuing the legend!:clap:
Thanks to the Croydon Chess Club, for providing the means and venue for this!:clap:

Dougy
20-01-2009, 08:25 AM
is it possible to reserve a board my son would love to play in his first simul,also i remember playing the 1979 victorian champion in a simul 30 years ago at the old mcc in elizabeth street. so we would very much like to reserve a board if possible.

Do you want to PM me you son's name? Guy hasn't set a board limit, but has requested that everyone only has one game. So everyone who wants a game should get one. At the moment, I'm trying to keep track of entries to keep track of numbers etc..

ER
20-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi Dougy
Its Rafael Pecori, he looks like his dad! :)

chesstash
20-01-2009, 08:36 PM
What dad?????
:hmm:

ER
21-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Tash hi!
Ascaro Pecori is Rafael's dad. Look him up in the ratings list, he is
a very strong player, and he is a Victorian too! :owned:

Dougy
21-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Ta, got it (:

Watto
21-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Good luck in NZ Watto et al.

I've just seen this. Thanks Dougy. It's a very strong field so I've yet to play anyone under 1950 - today's my first 1800er - but I'm actually quite enjoying the workout!

Spiny Norman
21-01-2009, 10:51 AM
You've had a v.good performance Watto ... interested in hearing more about those games of yours! How's the French Defence going?!

Basil
21-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Yes, Go Watto!

chesstash
23-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Strong is the right word.

But not as strong as me:D

chesstash
24-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Tash hi!
Ascaro Pecori is Rafael's dad. Look him up in the ratings list, he is
a very strong player, and he is a Victorian too! :owned:
wow

Spiny Norman
29-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Our AGM was held this evening at our new venue, the Croydon RSL. About 15 hardy souls braved the extreme heat (our best turnout for an AGM ever, which is encouraging). The club continued to grow during 2008, achieving best ever levels of membership and also recording our best ever financial result. We hope the move to larger premises prompts further growth in 2009. The committee for this year:

President - Richard Goldsmith
Vice-President - Douglas Stones (also d.o.p.)
Treasurer - Stephen Frost (also webmaster)
Secretary - Jean Watson (welcome to the team Watto!)
plus two others: Pearl Yung and Wayne Young

Senior Coach - N.Y.Wong
Other coaches - Jamie Cross, Pearl Yung, Douglas Stones

This year we will experiment further by attempting to run a couple of small ACF Grand Prix events, which will stretch us further and hopefully cause us to grow and develop some new capabilities.

ER
30-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Our AGM was held this evening at our new venue, the Croydon RSL. About 15 hardy souls braved the extreme heat (our best turnout for an AGM ever, which is encouraging). The club continued to grow during 2008, achieving best ever levels of membership and also recording our best ever financial result. We hope the move to larger premises prompts further growth in 2009. The committee for this year:

President - Richard Goldsmith
Vice-President - Douglas Stones (also d.o.p.)
Treasurer - Stephen Frost (also webmaster)
Secretary - Jean Watson (welcome to the team Watto!)
plus two others: Pearl Yung and Wayne Young

Senior Coach - N.Y.Wong
Other coaches - Jamie Cross, Pearl Yung, Douglas Stones

This year we will experiment further by attempting to run a couple of small ACF Grand Prix events, which will stretch us further and hopefully cause us to grow and develop some new capabilities.

If Jean's performance in this post is as good as her performance in Queenstown :clap: :clap: :clap: Croydon Chess Club is bound for very good days to come!
Congratulations to all! I wish you all the very best for the Club! My entering the list for Guy's simul will very much depend on my work scheduling for the day! I hope I will see you all there!

Dougy
09-02-2009, 10:32 AM
This Thursday (12-Feb-09) is our New Members Night which is being combined with a friendly 5-Round blitz tournament (5mins). So if you've wanted to just "pop in" this is a good opportunity.

shelldrake
09-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Oh! A blitz tournament, you know I'll be there!

Spiny Norman
09-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Probably to extract revenge on poor little ol' me!

Dougy
12-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Update: FM Igor Goldenberg is planning on coming to our "new members night" tonight and play some blitz games for $10 to raise money for the bushfire appeal. Starting 7.30. Of course, non-members welcome!

Watto
12-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Update: FM Igor Goldenberg is planning on coming to our "new members night" tonight and play some blitz games for $10 to raise money for the bushfire appeal. Starting 7.30. Of course, non-members welcome!
Igor is Australia's newest IM elect, having gained his final norm at Queenstown (and the rating points required.) :)
He is also the 2008 Victorian Champion and the joint winner of the 2008 Victorian Open.

Spiny Norman
12-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Looking forward to seeing you there Igor!

Dougy
12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Igor is Australia's newest IM elect, having gained his final norm at Queenstown (and the rating points required.) :)
He is also the 2008 Victorian Champion and the joint winner of the 2008 Victorian Open.

Oh, I didn't know this. Well done!!!

Dougy
14-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Upcoming tournaments:

The Euwe (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=9605), starting Thursday 19th, with weekly games running for five weeks.

The Khalifman (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=9638), 5-round weekender April 4-5.

Also be sure to check out our website (http://www.croydonchess.com) now with an updated calendar (http://www.croydonchess.com/Calendar/tabid/55/language/en-US/Default.aspx).

Watto
15-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Tomorrow night, Thursday the 16th, is a special night to welcome new and non-members to the club, starting at 7:45 pm. There will be a short chess variants tournament, followed by casual chess and conversation.

So this is the perfect night to drop by for a visit to our club, if you're interested in becoming a member or are just in the vicinity and feel like a bit of chess. :)

The following week will be round 1 of our next 5 round weekly club tournament, The Symslov, so if you enjoy tomorrow night and wish to become a member, you won't have long to wait before you can enter a tournament.

All contact and venue details can be found at www.croydonchess.com
Here's the calendar link again: http://www.croydonchess.com/Calendar/tabid/55/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Watto
23-05-2009, 03:32 PM
From Croydon Chess Club News –

This Sunday the 24th May, Croydon Chess Club will host teams from the Ranges, Melbourne and Noble Park Chess Clubs in the first round of the Tri-Cup event. Play starts at noon at Croydon RSL. Good luck to all participating!

Ian CCC
27-05-2009, 06:36 PM
From Croydon Chess Club News –

This Sunday the 24th May, Croydon Chess Club will host teams from the Ranges, Melbourne and Noble Park Chess Clubs in the first round of the Tri-Cup event. Play starts at noon at Croydon RSL. Good luck to all participating!

Here are the results:

TRI-CUP 2009 - MATCH 1 RESULTS

Date: 24th May 2009

Juniors + Seniors = Total

Round 1

Ranges 0 + 1.5 = 1.5 v Melbourne 5 + 3.5 = 8.5
Croydon 2.5 + 4 = 6.5 v Noble Park 2.5 + 1.5 = 3.5

Round 2

Melbourne 4.5 + 4 = 8.5 v Croydon 0.5 + 1 =1.5
Noble Park 4 + 1 = 5 v Ranges 0 + 4 = 4*
*No game on board 10

Round 3

Croydon 3 + 0 = 3 v Ranges 2 + 5 = 7
Noble Park 1 + 2 = 3 v Melbourne 4 + 3 = 7

Totals

Croydon 11
Melbourne 24
Noble Park 11.5
Ranges 12.5

ER
27-05-2009, 06:53 PM
So it is really a Quatro (or Quadro) Cup! :) :clap:
I can see thing happening in this year's Victorian Interclub!

Richard Goldsmi
28-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Yep, kick up the bum for me...Nearly dislocated my knee in the process, but an apology for not even logging onto this site to review all the hard work and effort put on from the CCC members, namely Watto, Doug and Birchee...

I will continue to review my day and ensure I frequent more often.

Cheers to all and we hope to add more fuel to the chess fire.

Watto
29-05-2009, 10:00 AM
So it is really a Quatro (or Quadro) Cup! :) :clap:

Yep, it was a Tri-Cup and then Melbourne CC asked to join in, which all clubs were happy to agree to.

Watto
02-07-2009, 11:56 AM
As we don’t have a tournament on at the moment, tonight is one of our chess workshop nights. The workshop for tonight will include a 45 minute talk by Guy West.

This is just a reminder that the starting time for tonight is 7 pm (so earlier than our usual seniors starting time of 7:45 pm). Should be good, see you there. :)

http://www.croydonchess.com/

Spiny Norman
02-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I will be there! Looking forward to it! (especially since I've not been able to get to the club for about 3 months).