PDA

View Full Version : starters post count obsession

Garvinator
04-07-2004, 09:33 PM
have fun debating post counts here starter. i wish post counts would be eliminated, then that might shut you up. Now lets see you bump up your post count in a non chess thread :lol:

ursogr8
05-07-2004, 08:06 AM
have fun debating post counts here starter. i wish post counts would be eliminated, then that might shut you up. Now lets see you bump up your post count in a non chess thread :lol:

grey'grey'

Is this what you always wanted? A thread started by you and entirely devoted to the ggrayggray post count.

starter

skip to my lou
06-07-2004, 07:11 PM
I might implement the reputation system.

Lucena
06-07-2004, 08:01 PM

What's that?

You look suspiciously like Jeo, Jeo. :hmm:

skip to my lou
06-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Interesting.

PHAT
13-07-2004, 11:49 AM

more info please

skip to my lou
13-07-2004, 11:56 AM
It has already been done. See on every post you have the tick/cross button next to the report post button.

ursogr8
13-07-2004, 12:04 PM
It has already been done. See on every post you have the tick/cross button next to the report post button.

GG""

Now you have a dilemma.
The thread title is inconsistent with the remarkable advice that the very nice Jeo has implemented. Obviously not a waste of time and energy at all. Will be interesting to see if you modify the thread title appropriately (given that you initiated the thread).

starter

PHAT
13-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Thx

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 12:11 PM
as the person who began this thread, how do i change the title?

skip to my lou
13-07-2004, 12:21 PM
In thread tools I think. (options at the top)

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 12:27 PM
In thread tools I think. (options at the top)
that doesnt work, doesnt give a title change option, or anything like it. I remember now that a long time ago that kevin said only a mod or admin can do it :(

skip to my lou
13-07-2004, 12:33 PM
ok, what do you want me to rename it to?

Garvinator
13-07-2004, 12:35 PM
ok, what do you want me to rename it to?
starters post count obsession :lol:

ursogr8
13-07-2004, 12:44 PM
starters post count obsession :lol:

g''ay''g''ay''
Be careful; arosar may request equal naming rights. After all it was he who put the provocative post that I responded too.
starter

Kevin Bonham
13-07-2004, 11:12 PM
I notice Mr Dickinson mouthing off about post count discussions on one of the Mt Buller threads.

I propose the following.

Post count discussion should be confined to the off-topic section. Any post dealing entirely or largely with post counts in the on-topic forums to be deleted.

Any comments on this proposal? BD, would that make you happier?

skip to my lou
14-07-2004, 10:05 AM
no one will be catching up to my post count any time soon[ever].

Alan Shore
14-07-2004, 01:06 PM
I notice Mr Dickinson mouthing off about post count discussions on one of the Mt Buller threads.

I propose the following.

Post count discussion should be confined to the off-topic section. Any post dealing entirely or largely with post counts in the on-topic forums to be deleted.

It would make me happier but I'd still like to see it disappear completely.

ursogr8
14-07-2004, 07:06 PM
It would make me happier but I'd still like to see it disappear completely.

hi BD

Either get over it.......post counts are an official feature of the board.
Or..........................put me on ignore.

starter

ursogr8
15-07-2004, 09:02 AM

I propose the following.

KB
I think this a good ruling. Well done.

An example would be >15/7..9.00am. MS1897gg1798BC1779AR1570
starter

Alan Shore
15-07-2004, 09:23 AM
hi BD

Either get over it.......post counts are an official feature of the board.
Or..........................put me on ignore.

starter

Why would I put you on ignore when I'm waiting to hear your response on the other thread? :P That's like the 5th time you've asked me to from memory!

But anyway, I will agree with Kevin then, to please everyone. Blab all you want about it in non-chess.. you can even make an entire thread dedicated to it and I just won't read that.

ursogr8
15-07-2004, 12:48 PM
Why would I put you on ignore when I'm waiting to hear your response on the other thread? :P That's like the 5th time you've asked me to from memory!

BD
Good idea.
What you need is 'selective ignore' as a new function on the bulletin board..

Jeo
Any option available in your bag of tricks that could help BD?

starter

ps I like the new Karl Marx quote.

Kevin Bonham
15-07-2004, 01:52 PM
An example would be >15/7..9.00am. MS1897gg1798BC1779AR1570

Oh dear. You really are taking this quite seriously. :D

Such scrapping over the minor placings. It's not like any of you will ever catch Bill anyway.

Garvinator
15-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Oh dear. You really are taking this quite seriously. :D

Such scrapping over the minor placings. It's not like any of you will ever catch Bill anyway.
there is only one person who seems to really give a toss about post counts :doh:

ursogr8
15-07-2004, 02:37 PM
there is only one person who seems to really give a toss about post counts :doh:

Not me your honour.
Not here.
Not on this thread.
Not in this part of the BB. ;)

skip to my lou
15-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Jeo
Any option available in your bag of tricks that could help BD?

I can do it, but it will put extra load on the server.

arosar
15-07-2004, 03:51 PM
No, don't do it....I prefer faster server.

AR

Bill Gletsos
15-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Whilst we are talking about post counts I'd once again like to thank MS and DR for posting so much crap on a not just ratings but a variety of subjects. :clap:

If not for there sterling efforts in this regard, I wouldnt have had the opportunity to demonstrate what a pair of dipsticks they are and reach 3500 posts. :whistle:

ursogr8
15-07-2004, 08:14 PM
Whilst we are talking about post counts I'd once again like to thank MS and DR for posting so much crap on a not just ratings but a variety of subjects. :clap:

If not for there sterling efforts in this regard, I wouldnt have had the opportunity to demonstrate what a pair of dipsticks they are and reach 3500 posts. :whistle:

Bill :eek: :confused: :eek:

Have you got gg'' 's permission to light this fire over on his pet thread? Because surely you will drag those two jousters to dilute gg's objective.

starter

Bill Gletsos
15-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Bill :eek: :confused: :eek:

Have you got gg'' 's permission to light this fire over on his pet thread?
No but then I see no reason to need it. ;)

Because surely you will drag those two jousters to dilute gg's objective.
I refuse to be held responsible for whatever those two clowns may get up to. :hand:

Alan Shore
15-07-2004, 08:45 PM
ps I like the new Karl Marx quote.

Thankyou, what a pity there cannot be any reciprocity in this case. :hand:

Garvinator
17-07-2004, 12:12 AM
starter, in your obsession with post counts, do you think matts posts calling bill a cretin should count?

Kevin Bonham
17-07-2004, 12:35 AM
They certainly don't count if they get moved here.

PHAT
17-07-2004, 07:02 AM
starter, in your obsession with post counts, do you think matts posts calling bill a cretin should count?

Get it right. Bill called DR and me a moron and a cretin respectively.

I called him elitist and a bastard. DR called him a facist.

Who is most acturite with desriptions, him or us? I know DR has an IQ that saw him through uni, and I didn't have undiagnosed hypothyroidism in my infancy.

Bills name calling is primative, ours is considered.

Cat
17-07-2004, 07:42 AM

Who is most acturite with desriptions, him or us? I know DR has an IQ that saw him through uni, and I didn't have undiagnosed hypothyroidism in my infancy.

Maybe GG is BG, a sort of alter ego? Their post sound remarkably similar!

ursogr8
17-07-2004, 11:49 AM

Addiction is a better word gg''.
The answer to your question is

> 1923 +1 =1924
>> 1820 + 0 = 1820

starter

Rincewind
17-07-2004, 11:55 AM
>> 1829 + 0 = 1820

Say what??? :confused:

PHAT
17-07-2004, 12:46 PM

Knowing both of them, it is easy tho tell them apart. One is two feet taller than the other, one has specticals, one goes incandensent with fury when posting, and one despises ordinary people.

Bill Gletsos
17-07-2004, 03:50 PM

Maybe so but you both act like morons and cretins now.

Considered maybe.
Accurate, no way.

Bill Gletsos
17-07-2004, 03:51 PM
And you wonder why I call you a moron.

Bill Gletsos
17-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Knowing both of them, it is easy tho tell them apart. One is two feet taller than the other, one has specticals, one goes incandensent with fury when posting, and one despises ordinary people.
Inaccurate as usual. Only 1 out of 4 correct.
I'm much taller than Garvin, but not two feet taller.
Yes I wear spectacles.
No I dont go into any fury when posting, incandescent or otherwise.
I dont despise ordinary people and I dont tolerate fools like you.

You apparently despise rewarding excellence, skill and achievement
You of course are far from being typical of an ordinary person.

Whilst my typing leaves something to be desired, your spelling is atrocious.

skip to my lou
19-07-2004, 11:13 PM
20,000 posts :D well done

ursogr8
20-07-2004, 07:59 AM
20,000 posts :D well done

Err
:clap: 20,000 counted posts
:hmm: xx,xxx uncounted posts
:wall: o posts by Matt not countered by Bill
:whistle: ?? posts by GG'' that are valuable

Garvinator
20-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Err
:clap: 20,000 counted posts
:hmm: xx,xxx uncounted posts
:whistle: ?? posts by GG'' that are valuable
0 posts by starter that dont mention post counts :lol: :P :whistle:

ursogr8
20-07-2004, 09:46 AM
0 posts by starter that dont mention post counts :lol: :P :whistle:

:clap: :clap:

skip to my lou
20-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Every post is counted on the main counter ( i think )

Bill Gletsos
20-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Actually I infrequently counter his posts in the non chess section.
In the non chess threads I leave that to others.

skip to my lou
20-07-2004, 08:22 PM

Garvinator
20-07-2004, 08:47 PM
i wonder why ;) :lol:

skip to my lou
20-07-2004, 09:04 PM
:owned:

skip to my lou
23-07-2004, 05:18 PM
starter, sorry I cannot give any information about that.

ursogr8
23-07-2004, 05:32 PM
starter, sorry I cannot give any information about that.

No need to apologise Jeo.
It is plain for all to see.
> Kevin moves Matt's posts to a non-counting area, and explains himself, somewhat adequately.
>> My posts on this thread today have been removed without explanation.
>>> My footer remains the d.b.o.r. for all bets.
>>>> I have hard-copy back-up.
starter

skip to my lou
23-07-2004, 05:42 PM
If a post count is increased it is because they have made a post on a chess related forum somewhere in the bb.

Alan Shore
28-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Starter posed an inteesting question to me just now when I asked him if it was necessary for him to have that content in his sig:

[PM belatedly deleted - mod]

Please note I would not post PM responses on the board but my take on his comments is that he is suggesting I ask (KB in this case) the question.

I would have liked starter to realise his sig was irritating and inappropriate but if he insists on proper channels through these things, I'll let KB handle it. Because as we discussed, all posts referring to postcount should be mentioned in a separate thread, not in someone's sig.

skip to my lou
28-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Starter posed an inteesting question to me just now when I asked him if it was necessary for him to have that content in his sig:

Please note I would not post PM responses on the board but my take on his comments is that he is suggesting I ask (KB in this case) the question.

I would have liked starter to realise his sig was irritating and inappropriate but if he insists on proper channels through these things, I'll let KB handle it. Because as we discussed, all posts referring to postcount should be mentioned in a separate thread, not in someone's sig.
If you find that poster annoying, put them on ignore list.

The moderators can only moderate signature if it is vulgar or breaks any forum rules other than the "off topic" rule, since it can never be off.topic, because it is not a post.

Alan Shore
28-07-2004, 12:40 AM
If you find that poster annoying, put them on ignore list.

The moderators can only moderate signature if it is vulgar or breaks any forum rules other than the "off topic" rule, since it can never be off.topic, because it is not a post.

According to what KB said previously it is off-topic. I simply ask starter kindly if he'd remove it. Why resort to ignore, especially when I covered its disadvantages in shoutbox already?

Kevin Bonham
28-07-2004, 12:42 AM

I'm not deleting/moving starter's posts on account of his .sig because the purpose of the ban on postcount discussion in the main section was to stop threads getting swamped by posts about postcounts, which are a very irritating sidetrack for many to wade through.

People have all kinds of .sigs and many of them have nothing to do with chess. There is no reason to ban a person from using a .sig just because it is offtopic, and if starter wants to incur the wrath of all kinds of people by mentioning postcounts in his .sig that's his problem. It is not disrupting the flow of debate in the on-chess threads. If it bothers you, put "This sig may be lame but at least it's better than starter's postcount rubbish" in your own .sig file. Or ignore it.

PS. Note that starter's message as quoted by you said:

But the moderator ruled that any post that lack chessic content, but talked about posts, would be moved by him to the 'obsession thread'

Obviously an on-topic post by starter does not lack "chessic content" no matter what is in his .sig file.

My take on this is that starter has just successfully trolled you. :doh:

Alan Shore
28-07-2004, 12:47 AM
If it bothers you, put "This sig may be lame but at least it's better than starter's postcount rubbish" in your own .sig file

You're kidding me right? What is this the third grade? No, probably not even someone that age would be so lame. :rolleyes:

Kevin Bonham
28-07-2004, 01:00 AM
You're kidding me right? What is this the third grade? No, probably not even someone that age would be so lame. :rolleyes:

Then here's some more second-grade language for you then:

Loosen up, dude. :lol:

Alan Shore
28-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Then here's some more second-grade language for you then:

Loosen up, dude. :lol:

You can't always control what irks you, only how you respond. And you'd do well to follow your own advice on many a previous occasion ;)

skip to my lou
28-07-2004, 01:15 AM
According to what KB said previously it is off-topic. I simply ask starter kindly if he'd remove it. Why resort to ignore, especially when I covered its disadvantages in shoutbox already?
Where did he say that? How can a signature be off topic? Please enlighten us all.

Kevin Bonham
28-07-2004, 01:17 AM
You can't always control what irks you, only how you respond. And you'd do well to follow your own advice on many a previous occasion ;)

I was fully aware of the irony because people say rubbish like that at me (and each other) all the time, it's a very widespread trolling strategy (generally employed by the person who has just lost the argument).

But in your case - one of the very few times I have ever felt this online about anyone - I genuinely thought it was appropriate. Sometimes you don't control how you respond very well - in your quest to come across as all too precociously mature for this, you only succeed in coming across as highly strung.

skip to my lou
28-07-2004, 01:32 AM
And what's with this threatening to leave whenever you see something you don't like? I really hope you aren't like this in real life because that would be one serious problem.

Alan Shore
28-07-2004, 01:35 AM
I was fully aware of the irony because people say rubbish like that at me (and each other) all the time, it's a very widespread trolling strategy (generally employed by the person who has just lost the argument).

But in your case - one of the very few times I have ever felt this online about anyone - I genuinely thought it was appropriate. Sometimes you don't control how you respond very well - in your quest to come across as all too precociously mature for this, you only succeed in coming across as highly strung.

This can happen on occasions Kevin, I agree. However I think it's wrong to take it as a generalisation - sometimes I'll just be in a bad mood. And being an online forum there are no consequences from showing less restraint than usual. In person I'm really very patient and wouldn't say half the things I say on here. Barry posted a great Dilbert comic on the BB a little while ago that showed this situation perfectly.

I think posting online gives you more license to open up and be less inhibitive about what you say - after all 90% of communication is essentially nonverbal so the internet can be a poor indicator at times. So you can get "angry" online (obviously while sitting at the computer you're more bemused really) and vent things, others can vent things and it's all forgotten in a day or two at most. I wouldn't judge any of you just from talking to you via this BB, meeting any of you in person would be akin to meeting any other person for the first time although some people may carry wary preconceptions one would think these would dissolve rapidly if they were unfounded.

Alan Shore
28-07-2004, 01:42 AM
And what's with this threatening to leave whenever you see something you don't like? I really hope you aren't like this in real life because that would be one serious problem.

Sorry Jeo, my last post will probably explain a lot. In truth I was making excuses.. it was convenient for me to say that when in reality I don't really have the time for posting on this BB. In reality I'm taking 5 subjects at uni this semester (and going for top marks), teaching at schools, sports commitments and a variety of other projects I'm undertaking.

In this instance though, I was expressing my dislike for something and well, you did listen. On occasion if you don't voice your opinion loudly enough you won't get heard. In an environment such as this, I don't see it as such a crime. Outside of this environment when there are numerous other avenues I'm sure I would not have selected such a course of action.

skip to my lou
28-07-2004, 01:51 AM
In this instance though, I was expressing my dislike for something and well, you did listen.

Please tell me how I can take action when starter is not breaking any rules.

Kevin Bonham
28-07-2004, 01:51 AM
This can happen on occasions Kevin, I agree. However I think it's wrong to take it as a generalisation - sometimes I'll just be in a bad mood. And being an online forum there are no consequences from showing less restraint than usual. In person I'm really very patient and wouldn't say half the things I say on here. Barry posted a great Dilbert comic on the BB a little while ago that showed this situation perfectly.

Fair enough. You did well to not get wound up by my previous post.

I wouldn't judge any of you just from talking to you via this BB, meeting any of you in person would be akin to meeting any other person for the first time although some people may carry wary preconceptions one would think these would dissolve rapidly if they were unfounded.

I sometimes judge people favourably from their online personae, although I usually find their real life personae to be less striking. Negative perceptions ... I would only carry them offline in very extreme cases. In at least 95% of cases I find that (-)ve stuff that goes on online pretty much stays there and is difficult to take completely seriously in person.

Alan Shore
28-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Please tell me how I can take action when starter is not breaking any rules.

It was only by his admission I make a point of it. I was happy to just ask him to remove it. He was the one who suggested it be taken up with the moderators. I don't expect you to do anything. If he wants to be like that, so be it. I don't think I was very clear about that before.

ursogr8
28-07-2004, 10:13 PM

Did you really mean to do that BD? You asked me in a private message to respond to a question, and I did that in a private message to you. Then you post the private message/response on the BB. I guess I made a mistake presuming 'private' means 'private'.

I have removed the signature line relating to post counts. BTW, hope the F_R comment in the sig. line does not irk you. While you are about it, Barry's greek text leaves me a bit cold...I have tried a couple of times to um, ahh..
Could you , like, campaign against him too?
Never mind, I have just learned live with it.

starter

Alan Shore
28-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Did you really mean to do that BD? You asked me in a private message to respond to a question, and I did that in a private message to you. Then you post the private message/response on the BB. I guess I made a mistake presuming 'private' means 'private'.

I have removed the signature line relating to post counts. BTW, hope the F_R comment in the sig. line does not irk you. While you are about it, Barry's greek text leaves me a bit cold...I have tried a couple of times to um, ahh..
Could you , like, campaign against him too?
Never mind, I have just learned live with it.

starter

LOL, you are the king of smart asses starter.. you *live* in a very strange place :rolleyes:

arosar
29-07-2004, 07:36 AM
He's a bit of a funny bloke this BD, ain't he?

AR

ursogr8
29-07-2004, 08:41 AM
LOL, you are the king of smart asses starter.. you *live* in a very strange place :rolleyes:

Unfortunately BD I have to agree with you on every one of your accusations.

BTW did you thank KB for the analysis, I thought he was very reflective and constructive.

kindest and sincere regards
starter

ursogr8
29-07-2004, 08:43 AM

AR

And we are not Amiel?
starter

arosar
29-07-2004, 08:51 AM
And we are not Amiel?

Dunno 'bout you mate, but I'm perfectly regular.

AR

Alan Shore
29-07-2004, 05:26 PM

AR

Sure am.

Dunno 'bout you mate, but I'm perfectly regular.

AR

No one is perfectly regular - there's no yardstick to measure yourself against. Eccentricity is a good thing too - it makes life interesting.

ursogr8
31-07-2004, 11:01 PM
ps

starter,

i hope that as of tomorrow your avatar will read something like ...

Aug 01 <= Melbourne: World's Most Livable City <= May 01

Avatar's don't have words mate????

starter

eclectic
01-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Avatar's don't have words mate????

starter

sorry, i meant that bit

eclectic

ursogr8
01-08-2004, 01:56 PM

sorry, i meant that bit

eclectic

Ahh. The PROFILE bit.

Jeez, you blokes are hard to please.
BD doesn't like it in the footer.
KB moves the post if I put it there.
gg'' just doesn't like it anywhere.
And now you don't like it in the PROFILE.

Listen mate, there are guys betting on this differential; I gotta publish the results.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: Hey...what about the SHOUTBOX. :P

starter

Alan Shore
01-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Ahh. The PROFILE bit.

Listen mate, there are guys betting on this differential; I gotta publish the results.

starter

Anyone can see from BB posts, or in the Members List section. You'd have to be a dunce to not be able to work out the differential from there. There is no justification for your behaviour no matter what you say.

ursogr8
01-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Anyone can see from BB posts, or in the Members List section. You'd have to be a dunce to not be able to work out the differential from there. There is no justification for your behaviour no matter what you say.

And let me guess, there is no other place on the BB that I can read the head of the leaderboard for TETRIS?

Kevin Bonham
01-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Ahh. The PROFILE bit.

starter

I think BD's objection is actually the same as gg's, ie he doesn't like it anywhere. I can understand that after he objected to it being in the footer you were keen to put it in the LOCATION bar instead just out of mischief. Giving them what they ask for but not what they want, that sort of thing.

My view is that that chunk of text with numbers and symbols in the LOCATION field looks really bad from a layout perspective and that it was neater when you had it as a .sig file.

What are you going to do if Garvin hits the top spot? :eek:

Alan Shore
02-08-2004, 12:25 AM
And let me guess, there is no other place on the BB that I can read the head of the leaderboard for TETRIS?

I don't have control over the display. And I can't help having the skills I have ;)

I think BD's objection is actually the same as gg's, ie he doesn't like it anywhere. I can understand that after he objected to it being in the footer you were keen to put it in the LOCATION bar instead just out of mischief. Giving them what they ask for but not what they want, that sort of thing.

My view is that that chunk of text with numbers and symbols in the LOCATION field looks really bad from a layout perspective and that it was neater when you had it as a .sig file.

What are you going to do if Garvin hits the top spot?

Actually I prefer it in location, it's out of my field of view for the most part.

And personally I think all starter is really doing is giving gg more motivation to post and also more ammunition. Anyway I don't want to get drawn into this crap again, nuff said.

ursogr8
02-08-2004, 09:42 AM
I think BD's objection is actually the same as gg's, ie he doesn't like it anywhere. I can understand that after he objected to it being in the footer you were keen to put it in the LOCATION bar instead just out of mischief.
Mischief, or providing a mirror. ;)

Giving them what they ask for but not what they want, that sort of thing.
I know who is responsibile for their inaccuracy of expression.

OK. Back to the sig. file as per mod's preference.

starter

ursogr8
02-08-2004, 09:55 AM
I don't have control over the display. And I can't help having the skills I have ;)

But I had not noticed you lobbying that it was redundant information given that it is probably elsewhere already on the BB.

Actually I prefer it in location, it's out of my field of view for the most part.
I think the new solution will meet your compromise.

And personally I think all starter is really doing is giving gg more motivation to post .

He couldn't could he? :eek:

starter

Kevin Bonham
02-08-2004, 04:49 PM
OK. Back to the sig. file as per mod's preference.

Sorry, I should have said - that was my preference as a poster, not as a moderator. My only preference as a mod is that people not devote whole posts to discussing post counts in the on-topic areas.

This is also my preference as a poster - the yellow is hideous. You just can't win, can you?

I would suggest put it back in location because BD is quite fired up on this issue, whereas I don't really care and am just making idle comments about what looks pretty and what doesn't.

Garvinator
03-08-2004, 12:59 AM
This is also my preference as a poster - the yellow is hideous. You just can't win, can you? the extremely light blue is no better :lol: :whistle:

Kevin Bonham
03-08-2004, 01:37 AM
I prefer it to the yellow. Goes better with the colours around it.

ursogr8
24-11-2004, 10:50 AM
JGB

Welcome to the part of the bb where your posts really count.
Your current differentials are
DR d = 93
A/C d = -90
In your case we would do mod (9) on the differentials to limit the betting options.
However, the Punters Club has you currently on WATCH ONLY, due to fractious and possibly contrary behaviour you displayed in the BOX. ;)

starter

JGB
24-11-2004, 06:17 PM
JGB

Welcome to the part of the bb where your posts really count.
Your current differentials are
DR d = 93
A/C d = -90
In your case we would do mod (9) on the differentials to limit the betting options.
However, the Punters Club has you currently on WATCH ONLY, due to fractious and possibly contrary behaviour you displayed in the BOX. ;)

starter

What about if I change my name to 'Phar Lap' and start posting 30-50 day? Our discussion here surely renders my 'horse' out of your race?
...as for the good Dr. we both know he is just a matter of weeks away. ;)

ursogr8
24-11-2004, 06:56 PM
What about if I change my name to 'Phar Lap' and start posting 30-50 day? Our discussion here surely renders my 'horse' out of your race?
...as for the good Dr. we both know he is just a matter of weeks away. ;)

JGB
The answer to your question is simple really.
'You can run but you cannot hide'.

You have FORM.
Your first choice of a handle shows no attempt at guile.
I leave you to form a conclusion what this implies for your next attempt.

starter

ps One sage in the Punters Club remarked that you might try blinkers to avoid being distracted. ;)

JOE seems to work better with IGNORE switched ON. Perhaps this could work for you.

JGB
24-11-2004, 07:39 PM
JGB
The answer to your question is simple really.
'You can run but you cannot hide'.

You have FORM.
Your first choice of a handle shows no attempt at guile.
I leave you to form a conclusion what this implies for your next attempt.

starter

ps One sage in the Punters Club remarked that you might try blinkers to avoid being distracted. ;)

JOE seems to work better with IGNORE switched ON. Perhaps this could work for you.

(bang) ...'and their off '... ;)

ursogr8
15-12-2004, 07:57 AM
If you were wondering about the METRICS of the threads THERE, here is a summary

10 threads
4 are threads that have been moved in as part of board unwritten policy
1 is a explanation of THERE
1 just seems misplaced.

starter

ps Post-count stats to be available later

JGB
15-12-2004, 08:20 PM

were all waiting patiently... ;)

ursogr8
15-12-2004, 08:27 PM
If you were wondering about the METRICS of the threads THERE, here is a summary

10 threads
4 are threads that have been moved in as part of board unwritten policy
1 is a explanation of THERE
1 just seems misplaced.

starter

Thread count has increased to 11 at THERE.
New thread is not a thread re-location but a new thread.
You may ask is it different in THERE to out HERE? The answer is yes and no. Matt is civil; but then again the after-48-hour Matt seems more skilled HERE also.

Why is THERE? You ask.
I guess so K. can take it from HERE and place THERE.
When I find out what is on first I will report back.

starter

ursogr8
22-12-2004, 07:36 AM
A change in the top 3 leaders in the SHOUTBOX shout-count brings a new poster into view. It is on these provincial tracks that novice runners can come to PUNTERS Club attention.

starter

ursogr8
23-12-2004, 12:33 PM
A change in the top 3 leaders in the SHOUTBOX shout-count brings a new poster into view. It is on these provincial tracks that novice runners can come to PUNTERS Club attention.

starter

hey gg''

You couldn't manage 4 more before 10am tomorrow 24/12 could you? :uhoh:

starter

ursogr8
23-12-2004, 04:29 PM
In the stock market some of the Institutions have been known to create false activity close to the EOY just to make benchmark figures look good.

I have KB in my sights.

starter

Trent Parker
28-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Hey Starter, I got bored and compiled the following stats.....

# posts between: # of members
>1000 11
999-900 0
899-800 1
799-700 1
699-600 1
599-500 3
499-400 1
399-300 4
299-200 7
199-100 9
99-0 201
------------------------------------
Total 239

ursogr8
29-12-2004, 08:48 AM
^^

tcn

More relevant would have been this collection >

> Thread started by gg''
>> 97 posts and 1285 views, is close to the usual average of 1/10 views per post
>>> I have only 27 posts on this thread, which is well below average for metric threads. :uhoh:

starter

ursogr8
18-05-2005, 05:30 PM
The Punters Club notes the two big movers for the past month.
a/c
and
Duff

Now, if a/c would just eschew his predeliction for the SHOUTBOX and factor instead into THREADS he may have arosar in reach.

If Duff can arrange a contretemps with kegless or other then that would assist.

What we need is movement guys.

C'mon. C'mon.

starter
ps This post makes 100 for the thread...a small collect to me. :uhoh:

ursogr8
20-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Bill

Well done...your post count just went past 6000. :)

starter

ursogr8
25-05-2005, 08:12 PM
The Punters Club notes the two big movers for the past month.
a/c
and
Duff

Now, if a/c would just eschew his predeliction for the SHOUTBOX and factor instead into THREADS he may have arosar in reach.

If Duff can arrange a contretemps with kegless or other then that would assist.

What we need is movement guys.

C'mon. C'mon.

starter
ps This post makes 100 for the thread...a small collect to me. :uhoh:

Hmm...the PUNTERS Club has had its gaze in the wrong place. The big mover has been Bill's strong inside run to take 8th postion on the SHOUTBOX count.

However, the posters (shouters) ahead of him will present a more formidable challenge.

Are there any big international tournaments on the horizon? That often sees bill use the shoutbox until the small hours.

starter

ursogr8
21-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Matt Sweeney moves to the 2500 post milestone.
(Now, I wonder if we could run a campaign to have his UCJ posts ((the undeleted ones)) included in this count). :uhoh:

starter

Bill Gletsos
21-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Matt Sweeney moves to the 2500 post milestone.I note that you didnt apparently consider it a milestone for the 8 other posters when they reached 2500 posts.

antichrist
21-09-2005, 01:10 PM
But Matt's was achieved in spite of barringss and suspensions from BB, NSWCA and Council, heavy burden of possible legal action, abuse from everyone and sundry, UCJ crashing, his rating going no where and being Mark Latham's twin brother - beat that!

That would be sufficient motivation to become a mass murderer, terrorist or Born- Again Christian (the last one being the worst).

Spiny Norman
21-09-2005, 02:05 PM
That would be sufficient motivation to become a mass murderer, terrorist or Born- Again Christian (the last one being the worst).
... or "all of the above".

antichrist
21-09-2005, 02:36 PM
... or "all of the above".

And in that order the final one being in prison

ursogr8
21-09-2005, 03:56 PM
I note that you didnt apparently consider it a milestone for the 8 other posters when they reached 2500 posts.

I note that you are still using the weasel words 'perhaps' and 'apparently' (in recent days) so that when you are challenged you squirm out with a 'who me!'

And, if you have got time on your hands to be making gg''_cloned one-liners....how about addressing the issues I raise on the ratings thread.

starter

Alan Shore
21-09-2005, 04:04 PM
I note that you are still using the weasel words 'perhaps' and 'apparently' (in recent days) so that when you are challenged you squirm out with a 'who me!'

And, if you have got time on your hands to be making gg''_cloned one-liners....how about addressing the issues I raise on the ratings thread.

starter

Zing!

Bill Gletsos
21-09-2005, 04:05 PM
I note that you are still using the weasel words 'perhaps' and 'apparently' (in recent days) so that when you are challenged you squirm out with a 'who me!'Well who can tell how your brain works. In fact if anything I was giving you a way out by using the word apparently.

And, if you have got time on your hands to be making gg''_cloned one-liners....how about addressing the issues I raise on the ratings thread.I answered that topic as far as I am concerned, so dont hold your breath.

PHAT
21-09-2005, 04:30 PM
In fact if anything I was giving you [starter] a way out by using the word apparently.

There is not a person on this BB who believes this. So why say it? I think that perhaps you have been take advice from your betters.

Bill Gletsos
21-09-2005, 04:40 PM
There is not a person on this BB who believes this.Your opinion is totally immaterial.

So why say it?Because it happens to be true. I could easily have said "I note that you didnt consider it a milestone for the 8 other posters when they reached 2500 posts." which is undoubtedly true as he made no comment on it whatsoever.
By saying "I note that you didnt apparently consider it a milestone for the 8 other posters when they reached 2500 posts." I give starter some wriggle room.

I think that perhaps you have been take advice from your betters.That definately rules you out.

PHAT
21-09-2005, 04:51 PM
That definately rules you out.

Arrogant abuse from the president of the NSWCA toward a member is not what you were elected to do.

Bill Gletsos
21-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Arrogant abuse from the president of the NSWCA toward a member is not what you were elected to do.This coming from the individual who has been abusing me for years often in the most vile, foul mouthed manner.

antichrist
21-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Arrogant abuse from the president of the NSWCA toward a member is not what you were elected to do.

What member?

PHAT
21-09-2005, 08:33 PM
This coming from the individual who has been abusing me for years often in the most vile, foul mouthed manner.

I have cut it out. I will leave it to others to judge your behaviour.

PHAT
21-09-2005, 08:33 PM
What member?
Me. I am still a member.

four four two
21-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Wait a sec,isnt this meant to be Starter's post count obsession? How has it become the'' Bill and Matt'' post count obsession.Half your insults are traded just for the sake of building up posts. :P ;) :owned:

Kevin Bonham
21-09-2005, 10:10 PM
I have cut it out. I will leave it to others to judge your behaviour.

Are you claiming to have cut this out towards everyone, or just Bill?

antichrist
21-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Me. I am still a member.

They wouldn't take membership fees from you for next year would they?

Alan Shore
21-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Wait a sec,isnt this meant to be Starter's post count obsession? How has it become the'' Bill and Matt'' post count obsession.Half your insults are traded just for the sake of building up posts. :P ;) :owned:

If you took out the Bill vs. Matt flamewars... yeah, about -2,000.

PHAT
21-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Are you claiming to have cut this out towards everyone, or just Bill?

Just Bill.

PHAT
21-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Half your insults are traded just for the sake of building up posts.

There is no longer any trade. It is a one way street.

PHAT
21-09-2005, 10:41 PM
They wouldn't take membership fees from you for next year would they?
Of course they would. What better way to build up the coffers for no reason than to take money from someone and deliver them zero services. But that is pretty much what happens anyway.

Bill Gletsos
21-09-2005, 11:12 PM
I have cut it out.You havent cut it out at all. You were having a shot at me in post #111.

PHAT
21-09-2005, 11:38 PM
You havent cut it out at all. You were having a shot at me in post #111.

Not a shot, a mear observation that your MO has definitely changed to perhaps reflect a "requirement" from socially skilled persons, that you tread more carefully. :hmm: Now that reminds me of a saying I heard years ago. "When walking on eggs, don't hop."

Bill Gletsos
21-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Not a shot, a mear observation that your MO has definitely changed to perhaps reflect a "requirement" from socially skilled persons, that you tread more carefully. :hmm:If you believe this then you are dreaming. :whistle:
I have just decided I have far more important things I would rather be doing with my time than wasting it arguing with the usual clowns, fools and those without a clue.

ursogr8
22-09-2005, 01:50 PM
I note that you didnt apparently consider it a milestone for the 8 other posters when they reached 2500 posts.

Bill

Have you read post #101 in this thread?

starter

Bill Gletsos
22-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Bill

Have you read post #101 in this thread?Yes.
It has nothing to do with 2,500 being a milestone.
As I already noted you didnt see 2,500 posts as a milestone for anyone else.

ursogr8
22-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Yes.
It has nothing to do with 2,500 being a milestone.
As I already noted you didnt see 2,500 posts as a milestone for anyone else.

Bill
Have you accidentally or deliberately dropped the 'apparently'?
starter

Bill Gletsos
22-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Bill
Have you accidentally or deliberately dropped the 'apparently'?Deliberately. ;)

ursogr8
22-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Deliberately. ;)
Bill

Had you considered that I may have regarded 2500 of his the equivalent of 6000 of yours? ;)

starter

Bill Gletsos
22-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Bill

Had you considered that I may have regarded 2500 of his the equivalent of 6000 of yours? ;)Given some of your stupid metrics anything is possible.

Spiny Norman
23-09-2005, 07:40 AM
I'm going to have to separate you boys and send you to your rooms until dinner is ready.

Go on, off you go!

Bereaved
23-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Hello Starter,

Has anyone/does anyone rival 442 for frequency of posts? He has been able to post quite a lot, quite quickly.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

four four two
23-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Yeah, but as the interesting topics dry up so will my posting average,unlike some I dont live for this BB. ;)

ursogr8
23-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Hello Starter,

Has anyone/does anyone rival 442 for frequency of posts? He has been able to post quite a lot, quite quickly.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Good question Mac. Shows that you are more than just a literary genius, but a good eye for figures too.

Bill examined a similar question quite some tme back and produced stats that showed flurries of posts well in excess of 17.42 posts per day.

The insightful post from 442 is that he thinks the current range of active threads is above the norm in interest levels.

ursogr8
25-09-2005, 08:14 AM

Bill

Eight? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can I just clarify your question before I address it?

First, I rather thought you had passed that mark before I joined the ACF bb; thus I would have missed the opportunity. Are you thus suggesting that I recognize milestones retrospectively with an very extended time-lag?

Second, are you counting me as one of the eight? Would it not be infra dig to recognize my own achievement?

Third, it is well known that one of the 8 has on occasions just popped in a number of his choice. He may like to appear on page 1 is the Punters Club form guide advice; bit like the Clerk-of-the-course horse.

starter

Bill Gletsos
25-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Eight? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can I just clarify your question before I address it?

First, I rather thought you had passed that mark before I joined the ACF bb; thus I would have missed the opportunity. Are you thus suggesting that I recognize milestones retrospectively with an very extended time-lag?The post counts for those that came over from the old ACF bb originally started at zero although they were very quickly included for all posters with more than 10 posts but I was way below 2500 (my carry over count was 1371). However on 27-07-2004 the post counts on this board were recalculated to remove the numbers from the old ACF BB.

Second, are you counting me as one of the eight? Would it not be infra dig to recognize my own achievement?Ok, I'll pay this one. ;)

Third, it is well known that one of the 8 has on occasions just popped in a number of his choice. He may like to appear on page 1 is the Punters Club form guide advice; bit like the Clerk-of-the-course horse.I would have thought someone so interested in metrics would have noticed that although STML did this he reset it to the correct number ages ago.

However even if those 3 are discounted you have not given any explanation why you didnt consider the other 5 reaching 2500 as milestones.

bergil
25-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeah, but as the interesting topics dry up so will my posting average,unlike some I dont live for this BB. ;)
You wouldn't know it! :P

ursogr8
25-09-2005, 02:37 PM
The post counts for those that came over from the old ACF bb originally started at zero although they were very quickly included for all posters with more than 10 posts but I was way below 2500 (my carry over count was 1371). However on 27-07-2004 the post counts on this board were recalculated to remove the numbers from the old ACF BB.
Ok, I'll pay this one. ;)
I would have thought someone so interested in metrics would have noticed that although STML did this he reset it to the correct number ages ago.

However even if those 3 are discounted you have not given any explanation why you didnt consider the other 5 reaching 2500 as milestones.

Bill

Thank you for your admission of an inappropriate claim by you. So far I have only examined 3 out of the 8 that you brought to attention, and to date your strike rate is vin ordinaire. However since you accuracy rate on other threads has generally been satisfactory reasonably good ;) I will continue to look at the other 5 cases you bring to my attention.

And, immediately I see that 2 of them fall at the encouragement hurdle. :eek:
Bill, it is clear that one should only recognize milestones when
a> it reflects on previous good behaviour and quality, and
b> it is likely to encourage future behaviour to be commendable.
As you can see, the posters currently on 3185 and 4921 have been using bandwidth for repetitive purposes to a large degree. (For example, how often do we need to read Blog updated).

So, out of your 8, 5 are so far found to be sus., for one reason or another.

Do you want me to press on?

starter

Bill Gletsos
25-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Thank you for your admission of an inappropriate claim by you.That is true for only one out of the 3 you raised, that being yourself.

So far I have only examined 3 out of the 8 that you brought to attention, and to date your strike rate is vin ordinaire.Not at all. Only your excluding yourself was valid. Both STML and I passed 2500 on this board whilst you were a poster here.

However since you accuracy rate on other threads has generally been satisfactory reasonably good ;) I will continue to look at the other 5 cases you bring to my attention.

And, immediately I see that 2 of them fall at the encouragement hurdle. :eek:
Bill, it is clear that one should only recognize milestones when
a> it reflects on previous good behaviour and quality, and
b> it is likely to encourage future behaviour to be commendable.
As you can see, the posters currently on 3185 and 4921 have been using bandwidth for repetitive purposes to a large degree. (For example, how often do we need to read Blog updated).Once again your metrics let you down.
The poster with 3185 only started his blog recently and well after he reached 2500 posts. So you cannot exclude him on that count.
As for the 4921 poster I would suggest your claim that he has been using bandwidth for repetitive purposes to a large degree is certainly not supprotable to account for almost 50% of his posts. As such you cannot exclude him either.
Lastly however if you were to use "using bandwidth for repetitive purposes to a large degree" to discount posts then that would certainly have to apply that to MS's posts, in which case you should have discounted his 2500 posts as being any sort of milestone.

So, out of your 8, 5 are so far found to be sus., for one reason or another.No, only you were sus. The remaining 7 are valid.

Do you want me to press on?Well since you really have only eliminated yourself from ther list of 8 it certainly looks like you need to.

bergil
25-09-2005, 03:09 PM
No, only you were sus. The remaining 7 are valid.
Well since you really have only eliminated yourself from ther list of 8 it certainly looks like you need to.
:lol: :owned:

ursogr8
25-09-2005, 03:16 PM
That is true for only one out of the 3 you raised, that being yourself.
Not at all. Only your excluding yourself was valid. Both STML and I passed 2500 on this board whilst you were a poster here.
Once again your metrics let you down.
The poster with 3185 only started his blog recently and well after he reached 2500 posts. So you cannot exclude him on that count.
As for the 4921 poster I would suggest your claim that he has been using bandwidth for repetitive purposes to a large degree is certainly not supprotable to account for almost 50% of his posts. As such you cannot exclude him either.
Lastly however if you were to use "using bandwidth for repetitive purposes to a large degree" to discount posts then that would certainly have to apply that to MS's posts, in which case you should have discounted his 2500 posts as being any sort of milestone.
No, only you were sus. The remaining 7 are valid.
Well since you really have only eliminated yourself from ther list of 8 it certainly looks like you need to.

Ok. So it is agreed that 5 down, 3 to go.

Now 1 of these three is a/c Himself. I am tempted to pause here and ask you to confirm that you want your contention to rest almost solely on the recognition of worth in a/c's 2500 posts. :eek: :rolleyes:
You Welshlanders sure have an odd reliance on doubtful data. But I guess the day after St George was beaten by those Westies is still a time for disbelief. It is though the normal order of the world is changed.
However, if you want your argument to rest on recognizing a/c's post milestone then sobeit. This is the poster who has yet to show mastery of quote tags; he is you refutation? This is the poster who single-handedly re-populated all threads at UCJ when it was clear the site was dodo? You want me to recognize his milestone?
I will think about it. ;)

That just leaves KB and Baz.
Bill, they are MODS. You want me to suck up to and praise MODS?
It would be un-Australian. ;)

starter

Alan Shore
25-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Ok. So it is agreed that 5 down, 3 to go.

Now 1 of these three is a/c Himself. I am tempted to pause here and ask you to confirm that you want your contention to rest almost solely on the recognition of worth in a/c's 2500 posts. :eek: :rolleyes:
You Welshlanders sure have an odd reliance on doubtful data. But I guess the day after St George was beaten by those Westies is still a time for disbelief. It is though the normal order of the world is changed.
However, if you want your argument to rest on recognizing a/c's post milestone then sobeit. This is the poster who has yet to show mastery of quote tags; he is you refutation? This is the poster who single-handedly re-populated all threads at UCJ when it was clear the site was dodo? You want me to recognize his milestone?

It would be un-Australian. ;)

starter

Right, so.. would I get a 'starter back-pat' if I got there, or would you find an excuse for me too? ;)

ursogr8
25-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Right, so.. would I get a 'starter back-pat' if I got there, or would you find an excuse for me too? ;)

BD
You misunderstand.
Bill originally claimed he gave me wriggle room by putting the word 'appears' in his post. I am just demonstrating I needed no wriggle room anyway....at that point in time.
Sure, you go past the chequered flag at 2500, and we will draw attention to it................................................ . :hmm: , oops....then again we might not since you have eschewed references to post-count posts. :P

starter

Alan Shore
25-09-2005, 03:28 PM
BD
You misunderstand.
Bill originally claimed he gave me wriggle room by putting the word 'appears' in his post. I am just demonstrating I needed no wriggle room anyway....at that point in time.
Sure, you go past the chequered flag at 2500, and we will draw attention to it................................................ . :hmm: , oops....then again we might not since you have eschewed references to post-count posts. :P

starter

Aha, I knew it! :owned:

Bill Gletsos
25-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Ok. So it is agreed that 5 down, 3 to go.Wrong.
As I said only you are down, so it is 7 to go.

Now 1 of these three is a/c Himself. I am tempted to pause here and ask you to confirm that you want your contention to rest almost solely on the recognition of worth in a/c's 2500 posts. :eek: :rolleyes:I'm sure for evey post of A/C's you could choose to dismiss you could find an equally worthy one of Matt's.
Hence you cannot dismiss A/C 2500 milstone with dismissing Matt's.

You Welshlanders sure have an odd reliance on doubtful data.That would appear to be your forte.

But I guess the day after St George was beaten by those Westies is still a time for disbelief. It is though the normal order of the world is changed.

It would be un-Australian. ;)Well you seem do be doing an excellent job of sucking when it comes to praising Matt's 2500 posts as an accomplishemnt as a milestone.

ursogr8
25-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Hence you cannot dismiss A/C 2500 milstone with dismissing Matt's.
That would appear to be your forte.

Bill

I said I would think about it.
And I have read your later submission on behalf of your carrier pigeon.
You have convinced me.

Here is the required recognition (verbatim with the previous)>>

Matt Sweeney a/c moves to the 2500 post milestone.
(Now, I wonder if we could run a campaign to have his UCJ posts ((the undeleted ones)) included in this count).

starter

ps Final score Bill 1 - starter 1 :hand:

ursogr8
25-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Bill

I said I would think about it.
And I have read your later submission on behalf of your carrier pigeon.
You have convinced me.

Here is the required recognition (verbatim with the previous)>>

Matt Sweeney a/c moves to the 2500 post milestone.
(Now, I wonder if we could run a campaign to have his UCJ posts ((the undeleted ones)) included in this count).

starter

ps Final score Bill 1 - starter 1 :hand:

Bill

Sorry to re-open the batting on this when I have already put the hand up, but, I forgot about this point I really wanted to make.........> all this talk about value of posts reminds me that we have not had the functionality restored that allowed us to recognise good posts. In your new role as MOD, and given ADMIN change, is this functionality back on the drawing board?

starter

four four two
26-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Wait a sec, if Bill determines what the good posts are then Matt will have none! ;) :D

ursogr8
03-10-2005, 04:31 PM
The Punters Club welcomes White Elephant to page 1.

WhiteElephant
03-10-2005, 04:43 PM
The Punters Club welcomes White Elephant to page 1.

It is probably blatantly obvious but what is page 1?

Bill Gletsos
03-10-2005, 06:02 PM
It is probably blatantly obvious but what is page 1?Page 1 of the members list when sorted by post count.

ursogr8
16-11-2005, 02:49 PM
The Punters Club has to go far afield to find a good contest for a bet these days. They are not so desparate to even contemplate the round ball game; but there has been a milestone achieved between Matt and jenni...of note that it occurred in November instead of March. :uhoh:

Two oblique references for you to ponder. :uhoh: :hmm:

starter

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Major development: starter dethroned from podium!

Rincewind
01-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Major development: starter dethroned from podium!

Thanks for the heads up. Doing the needful has required more than the usual number of posts/day lately. I really must get a life sometime.

ursogr8
01-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Doing the needful has required more than the usual number of posts/day lately. I really must get a life sometime.

:clap: Well done Baz

And here I was dawdling along because I read your notice of semi-absence in Comings and Goings. :uhoh:

I will catch you, you know. I know the magic formula.
But at the moment, when I look up 'vested interest' in the GOOGLE Surge-engine it just says
"fem. for....looking after #1". And I am still trying to crack this code.

regards
starter

Rincewind
01-03-2006, 06:56 PM
I will catch you, you know. I know the magic formula.

There is more than one magic formula and there is more than one sort of absence. ;)

ursogr8
01-03-2006, 08:57 PM
There is more than one magic formula...

Someone found the magic formula on the 'reputation metric', and became an overnight success. The ADMIN stepped in and promised a re-write of the formula. But that is another story.

Now the post-count metric is under threat because a certain poster has found a cheap escalation is possible by poking sticks through the bars of the caged ACT Libertines.
It is time, I think, to call this metric-distorting practice to the attention of the ADMIN.
:doh:
:hmm:
:eek:

Ahhhhh. All is revealed. We now see COI and vested interest at play. ;)

and there is more than one sort of absence. ;)

Talking of card games; HEARTS was always one of my favourites. :uhoh:

starter

Rincewind
01-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Talking of card games; HEARTS was always one of my favourites. :uhoh:

Me too though we had another name for it. ;)

Kevin Bonham
01-03-2006, 09:08 PM
:lol:
Someone found the magic formula on the 'reputation metric', and became an overnight success. The ADMIN stepped in and promised a re-write of the formula. But that is another story.

Actually someone found the magic formula and made someone else an overnight success. A rewrite would be easy - just ban anyone from giving reputation to the same poster more than, say, three times.

Now the post-count metric is under threat because a certain poster has found a cheap escalation is possible by poking sticks through the bars of the caged ACT Libertines.
It is time, I think, to call this metric-distorting practice to the attention of the ADMIN.

Let's put it this way: how competitive do you want this to be? ;)

eclectic
01-03-2006, 09:34 PM
:lol:

Actually someone found the magic formula and made someone else an overnight success. A rewrite would be easy - just ban anyone from giving reputation to the same poster more than, say, three times.

Let's put it this way: how competitive do you want this to be? ;)

oh dear ... what next? resurrect and adapt an old idea of mine?

http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=21340&postcount=200

actually ... this isn't about reputation or post counts ... is it?

ursogr8
02-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Me too though we had another name for it. ;)

Oh No! :eek: :doh:

Now you have hit onto geegee'' 's trick of one line of drivel attached to nearly every post that appears on the board; driving up your post-count. ;)

Btw, Baz, has a/c recovered from the enforced layoff after his bout of 'discussion' with you? I notice that Libby seems to have recouped (from similar) and is back posting again. :uhoh:

regards
starter

Rincewind
02-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Now you have hit onto geegee'' 's trick of one line of drivel attached to nearly every post that appears on the board; driving up your post-count. ;)

Not at all.

Btw, Baz, has a/c recovered from the enforced layoff after his bout of 'discussion' with you? I notice that Libby seems to have recouped (from similar) and is back posting again. :uhoh:

Now you are getting rude. As the Todd has demonstrated, you can get away with being rude once in a while, as long as you are not caught in the ACT. ;)

ursogr8
02-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Not at all.

Now you are getting rude. As the Todd has demonstrated, you can get away with being rude once in a while, as long as you are not caught in the ACT. ;)

Just squeezing one more post out of this nonsense. ;)

Oh. And before I forget.............................. :hand:

regards :uhoh:
starter

ursogr8
03-07-2006, 06:47 PM
As @ 6.45pm 3/7/6
starter, Altecman, Axiom, Belthasar, bergil, Bill Gletsos, Boris, brett, Brian_Jones, disgustipated, Dozy, Eurotrash, Forevergm, Freddy, garethbcharles, Howard Duggan, Ian Rout, Kevin Bonham, macavity, melina, Phil Bourke, qpawn, sunset, themovingman, The_Wise_Man

n-z = 6
a-m = 19

starter

Dozy
04-07-2006, 09:32 AM
As @ 6.45pm 3/7/6
starter, Altecman, Axiom, Belthasar, bergil, Bill Gletsos, Boris, brett, Brian_Jones, disgustipated, Dozy, Eurotrash, Forevergm, Freddy, garethbcharles, Howard Duggan, Ian Rout, Kevin Bonham, macavity, melina, Phil Bourke, qpawn, sunset, themovingman, The_Wise_Man

n-z = 6
a-m = 19

starterThe propensity of people with A - M propinquity to post prolifically is pretty plain to see.

This surprises me not at all becoz, unknown to many people, you folk at the tail end of the alphabet trail we leaders in more ways than you could imagine.

My wife's maiden name was Wood and she said that as a kid she spent so much time on the wrong end of alphabetical queues that she'd have married ANYBODY with an initial in the first half of the alphabet. I just happened to be there.

So if you want to improve your life, win the ladies, and generally attract good luck to yourself, you might consider changing your handle. Instead of Starter you might become Novice, though that's a second-half name. Greenhorn is closer. Beginner is better yet...

But for the ultimate alphabetical lift you could become the BBs only Abecedarian!

ursogr8
04-07-2006, 11:06 AM
The propensity of people with A - M propinquity to post prolifically is pretty plain to see.

This surprises me not at all becoz, unknown to many people, you folk at the tail end of the alphabet trail we leaders in more ways than you could imagine.

My wife's maiden name was Wood and she said that as a kid she spent so much time on the wrong end of alphabetical queues that she'd have married ANYBODY with an initial in the first half of the alphabet. I just happened to be there.

So if you want to improve your life, win the ladies, and generally attract good luck to yourself, you might consider changing your handle. Instead of Starter you might become Novice, though that's a second-half name. Greenhorn is closer. Beginner is better yet...

But for the ultimate alphabetical lift you could become the BBs only Abecedarian!

Dozy

You are a true positive optimist that adds value to our bb. ;)

(Allow me to digress a little....an optimist is a pessimist who has not seen problems yet...definition).

I did see an article in a Psych mgazine many years ago showing that the life-long sentence to be at the back end of queues did in fact have a long term effect on the frustation level of the m-z's.
Your little anecdote about Ms Wood was interesting and consistent.
Is she still frustrated? ;) :P

Throwing away a perfectly good handle must be tempting for those addicted to SURVIVOR and Bog Brother, but starter it will remain for me.
However, :uhoh: , I could toy with A1, or 1A.

thank you for your discourse,
starter

Dozy
04-07-2006, 02:06 PM
. . .(Allow me to digress a little....an optimist is a pessimist who has not seen problems yet...definition).

. . .Your little anecdote about Ms Wood was interesting and consistent.
Is she still frustrated? ;) :P I understood that an optimist was somebody who ordered oysters at a restaurant and expected to find a pearl in one, while a pessimist expected to choke on it!

(There are other more lurid definitions, of course, but never let it be said that I would supply them on an open BB.)

On the subject of Daizy's frustration :rolleyes: so many answers spring to mind that I'm lost for words. Well, almost. Suffice to say that she's not, but she may have been, but if so she was too polite to mention it at the time, and now it's too late.

Ah, when we look back I wonder how many of us would like to have been the person we thought we were when it was all happening.

ursogr8
04-07-2006, 02:40 PM
I understood that an optimist was somebody who ordered oysters at a restaurant and expected to find a pearl in one, while a pessimist expected to choke on it!:)

(There are other more lurid definitions, of course, but never let it be said that I would supply them on an open BB.) :eek: :cool:

On the subject of Daizy's frustration :rolleyes: so many answers spring to mind that I'm lost for words. Well, almost. Suffice to say that she's not, but she may have been, but if so she was too polite to mention it at the time, and now it's too late.:uhoh:

Ah, when we look back I wonder how many of us would like to have been the person we thought we were when it was all happening.
I will leave it to Bill to clean up after that one. :P

regards
starter

Bill Gletsos
04-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Throwing away a perfectly good handle must be tempting for those addicted to SURVIVOR and Bog Brother, but starter it will remain for me.
However, :uhoh: , I could toy with A1, or 1A.Unfortunately Obfuscating Dribbler would still leave you in the bottom half but that is easily rectified by simply reducing it to Dribbler. Even better would be Absolute Dribbler :owned:

bergil
04-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately Obfuscating Dribbler would still leave you in the bottom half but that is easily rectified by simply reducing it to Dribbler. Even better would be Absolute Dribbler :owned:
ROTFL

ursogr8
04-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately Obfuscating Dribbler would still leave you in the bottom half but that is easily rectified by simply reducing it to Dribbler. Even better would be Absolute Dribbler :owned:

Your recommendation is noted Bill.

As I previously posted "Throwing away a perfectly good handle must be tempting for those addicted to SURVIVOR and Bog Brother".

Btw, that reminds me...any more State bannings in the NSW pipeline mate?
You have some odd tribal rules there in NSW. Some of those that pays their fee to join get voted off, and many of those that don't pay their dues still get the rating services. ;)

starter

Bill Gletsos
04-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Your recommendation is noted Bill.

As I previously posted "Throwing away a perfectly good handle must be tempting for those addicted to SURVIVOR and Bog Brother".

Btw, that reminds me...any more State bannings in the NSW pipeline mate?You have some odd tribal rules there in NSW. Some of those that pays their fee to join get voted off, and many of those that don't pay their dues still get the rating services. ;)NSW does not charge a rating fee. The NSWCA collects the ACF admin fee for events run in NSW.
If there are any odd tribal rules it is in Mexico where the Mexicans still charge the same State rating fees for rapid events this year as last year even though no ACF admin fee is applicable this year. :owned:

starterDo you really need to end all your posts with this. After all who else would be posting under your account.