PDA

View Full Version : Hobart Summer Festival Chess Dec 28- Jan 3

Kevin Bonham
28-12-2008, 09:37 AM
I will be running some kind of chess display on the Parliament House lawns midday - 4 or 5 the next four days, organised through ChessKids, probably including knockout tournaments in the afternoons from 2-ish.

More details after today when I know exactly what this involves!

Rincewind
28-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Sounds cool. Good luck with it.

Kevin Bonham
28-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks Rincewind. The non-rince kind of wind was awful to us today, at times blowing over entire black back ranks on the giant chess sets. Thanks to Southpaw Jim for a bit of help setting up. Hopefully the weather will be better for this tomorrow.

From about 1:00 - 2:30 today I gave a continuous simul (only a little one though with up to six boards at any one time). I had one close game where I mucked up an ending from two pawns up and the opponent should have drawn but lacked the technique to do so.

Got a bit quieter after that owing to competition from the adjacent "street performers" so it looks like the early afternoon is when things happen.

I have some copies of Purdy's Chess Made Easy as prizes for winners of any knockout tournaments we run or for people who beat me in the simuls, although I am not sure if these will be available to people with good ratings :D . There is no fixed program except that I'll be there 12-5 the next three days and there will usually be some kind of informal "event" at some stage.

Disclaimer: I am paid by Chess World to run this event.

Southpaw Jim
28-12-2008, 09:30 PM
The wind induced carnage:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/eurotrashbag/Chess.jpg

and the beginnings of a mini simul:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/eurotrashbag/Chess2.jpg

We just happened to be there for a picnic and the wife decided to sit down right next to where Kevin was setting up. I had to chuckle when I overheard some kid telling Kevin that he "used to be a lot better, haven't played for ages, used to be about as good as you [Kevin] actually..." :lol:

Kevin Bonham
28-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks for posting those!

I had to chuckle when I overheard some kid telling Kevin that he "used to be a lot better, haven't played for ages, used to be about as good as you [Kevin] actually..." :lol:

That junior was quite odd. He wanted to become a grandmaster. I gave him a game and he was pretty good for grade six, probably about 700-800 strength, but I still beat him pretty easily without having to think beyond about move 15. Later on when I was giving basic this-is-how-the-pieces-move lesson to another child who was an absolute beginner, the junior kept interfering to try to teach the beginner the en passant rule.

I encouraged him to play against stronger opposition than he could get at his school.

Saragossa
29-12-2008, 01:07 AM
I'll possibly be there tomorrow pending bus schedules.

Brian_Jones
29-12-2008, 08:27 AM
I have some copies of Purdy's Chess Made Easy as prizes for winners........

What about Koshnitsky? :)

Adamski
29-12-2008, 04:02 PM
I wish you better luck with the weather, Kevin, for the remaining days. Great to see such opportunities being taken.

Kevin Bonham
29-12-2008, 06:41 PM
What about Koshnitsky? :)

Actually the book I have copies of is "Guide To Good Chess" not "Chess Made Easy".

There will be a knockout tournament starting at 2pm tomorrow. To enter just come and see me there sometime between 12-2.

We had the big boards pegged down with tent pegs today and only a few problems with the wind this time.

Denis_Jessop
29-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for posting those!

That junior was quite odd. He wanted to become a grandmaster. I gave him a game and he was pretty good for grade six, probably about 700-800 strength, but I still beat him pretty easily without having to think beyond about move 15. Later on when I was giving basic this-is-how-the-pieces-move lesson to another child who was an absolute beginner, the junior kept interfering to try to teach the beginner the en passant rule.

I encouraged him to play against stronger opposition than he could get at his school.

I have found that juniors seem to have an obsession with the en passant rule and try to apply it in all sorts of odd ways. In practice I don't remember ever having taken a pawn in that way in about 65 years of playing though I might have done once or twice in the dim past.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
29-12-2008, 08:21 PM
I have found that juniors seem to have an obsession with the en passant rule and try to apply it in all sorts of odd ways. In practice I don't remember ever having taken a pawn in that way in about 65 years of playing though I might have done once or twice in the dim past.

I lost a game from a won position after overlooking an e.p. capture in the 2003 Tas Champs. Overlooking the e.p. capture did not cause me to lose by itself, but it did change my previously won position to a drawn one that I later lost (in, of all things, a same-colour bishop ending with equal pawns which happened to be a forced win for the opponent :wall:)

e.p. captures are not that rare in my games but I've never tried to work out any stats on how often I get them.

Tony Dowden
30-12-2008, 09:16 AM
:lol: Reminds me of an (in)famous 'en passant' incident in the 1973(?) Otago-Southland Schoolpupils tournament in Dunedin, NZ which had a major bearing on the final placings of the event.

In mutual time-trouble something like this happened: after a defensive f7-f5 Black pawn move the white player moved his White g5-pawn to f6 and confidently removed a vital defensive pawn on g6 instead of the pawn on f5. Neither player noticed and, with his position in ruins, Black resigned soon after making the time-control on move 40. Score sheets were signed and, only later on when he played through the score Black finally realised what had happened :(

Adamski
30-12-2008, 09:18 AM
:lol: Reminds me of an (in)famous 'en passant' incident in the 1973(?) Otago-Southland Schoolpupils tournament in Dunedin, NZ which had a major bearing on the final placings of the event.

In mutual time-trouble something like this happened: after a defensive f7-f5 Black pawn move the white player moved his White g5-pawn to f6 and confidently removed a vital defensive pawn on g6 instead of the pawn on f5. Neither player noticed and, with his position in ruins, Black resigned soon after making the time-control on move 40. Score sheets were signed and, only later on when he played through the score Black finally realised what had happened ...So this long after the evnt, can the involved parties be safely named, Tony? Sounds like you were the victim! Enjoy your break!

Kevin Bonham
31-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Knockout tournaments were held yesterday and today. Games were c. 20 mins without clocks as none were available.

Yesterday's knockout tournament attracted eight players and was won by Chris Vince, who delivered a knight mate against the run of play (he was a rook and a bishop down I think) and immediately gave his prize away to his junior opponent. I was impressed by this display of sportsmanship so I gave him another one!

Today's attracted nine players two of whom were much stronger than any of the players in yesterday's. These two met in the final and ex-Hobart Club regular Brian McComb defeated HICC player Cameron Harris. McComb left Tasmania for Ireland in 1987 and this is the first time I have seen him since then. Actually I played a game against him on the big board, which I won with some largely self-inflicted difficulty, without realising who he was.

Here's the final of today's tournament. After a very benign opening Black's fate was eventually sealed with a basic mistake on move 26 but I think he was in quite some trouble anyway. Probably 21...c4 letting both bishops in behind the pawn chain was the move that gave white a clear advantage.

McComb - Harris

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6 4.Nf3 Nxe4 5.d3 Nf6 6.Be2 Be7 7.0-0 0-0 8.d4 Ne4 9.c3 d5 10.Nbd2 Nc6 11.Nxe4 dxe4 12.Ne5 Nxe5 13.dxe5 Re8 14.Be3 Bf5 15.Qxd8 Raxd8 16.Rad1 a6 17.Bc4 b5 18.Bb3 c5 19.Rxd8 Rxd8 20.Rd1 Rxd1+ 21.Bxd1 c4 22.f3 exf3 23.Bxf3 Bd3 24.Bb7 a5 25.Bd5 Kf8 26.Bd4 Ke8? 27.Bc6+ Kd8 28.Bxb5 g5 29.Bb6+ Kc8 30.Bxa5 Bd8 31.Bxd8 Kxd8 32.Kf2 Ke7 33.a4 Ke6 34.a5 Be4 35.Bxc4+ Kxe5 36.Bxf7 Kd6 37.b4 Kc6 38.c4 Kb7 39.Bd5+ Bxd5 40.cxd5 1-0

Kevin Bonham
28-12-2009, 10:16 AM
On again today from 12ish - 5 with at least one big board operating and same times every day for the next week. Not sure if we will have small sets there today or not, but if not hope to have those tomorrow.

Kevin Bonham
30-12-2009, 08:33 PM
We have two big boards and five small sets operating. Have held knockout tournaments at 2 pm each day with a minimum of four entries required for a tournament to go ahead but they have been pretty low-key with eight the biggest turnout so far. Have not done any simuls yet. Made life difficult for myself against a player who turned out to be quite reasonable by inattentively giving him a pawn on move 2 (1.e3 e5 2.Nf3 d5?!) but eventually won that game. Most of the chess seen thus far (including in the tournaments) has not been strong (indeed much of it has not even been chess!) but now and then a good player turns up.

Tomorrow will be disgustingly hot and it will be interesting to see what impact this has on interest in chess. Luckily we are in the shade.

This endgame was seen today (white was an adult and black a c.500 rated ACT junior) :

8/8/8/7p/8/p1p5/P1K1N2k/8 w - - 0 1

White to move.

It is drawn with best play though both sides made determined efforts to lose it before white eventually took all the pawns then stalemated black. :rolleyes:

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Pretty good day yesterday despite the extreme heat by Hobart standards (38.3 maximum).

We had a brief visit from the Lord Mayor Rob Valentine, and he was photographed playing a few moves against a random junior for the newspapers (haven't checked to see if it's been published yet). The game began (Valentine black) 1.Nf3 d5 2.e3 Bf5 and the junior was photographed in the act of playing 3.Bd3.

Today was perhaps our busiest day yet and today's knockout was won easily by a Stuart Rowson from England. I asked him if he was related to GM Rowson and he said that he was not, but that GM Rowson coaches his children (both of whom played in today's tournament with one being eliminated by his dad and the other in impressive fashion by Hobart junior Bradley Vince.)

I was a bit lucky to draw with S. Rowson in an interesting casual game (I was white)

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Bd7 4.Bxd7+ Nxd7 5.0-0 Ngf6 6.Re1 e6 7.c3 Be7 8.d4 cxd4 9.cxd4 0-0 10.Nc3 Rc8 11.Bg5 a6 12.Qd3 h6 13.Bh4 d5 14.e5 Nh7 15.Bxe7 Qxe7 16.h3 b5 17.a3 Nb6 18.b3 [18.a4] 18...Rc6 19.a4?! Rfc8 20.Rec1 Qb4 21.Ne2 Rxc1+ 22.Nxc1 bxa4 23.bxa4 Nxa4 [23...Qb2! eg 24.Nb3 Rc3 25.Rb1 Rxd3 26.Rxb2 Nxa4 27.Ra2 Rxb3 28.Rxa4 Rb6] 24.Qxa6 Nb6 25.Nd3 Qc4 26.Qxb6 Qxd3 Draw offered which I should have accepted but got curious 27.Qb7 Qc3 28.Ra7? Rf8 [28...Ng5! gives white serious problems since 29.Nxg5?? (29.Nd2 Rf8! and black will win the d-pawn) 29...Qc1+ 30.Kh2 Qf4+ mates] 29.Qc7 Draw agreed. 1/2-1/2