PDA

View Full Version : Discussing the News from the young ones point of view

Space_Dude
19-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Discuss about the new headlines and what is happening to the world.
What i dont get is that everyday when you turn on the news, they always talk about non sense!! They are like a guy died of a heart attack. a man was brutally bashed. i mean! seriously, is it really worth all the troublr to edit it and air a story that happens everyday in the world??

Miranda
19-12-2008, 06:06 PM
They don't talk about heart attack stories unless it was someone important or famous.

If someone's been bashed, they air it to raise awareness that it happened and to possible try to find the attackers.

Sinister
22-12-2008, 10:01 AM
they have so many news stories that are completely useless and pointless. soon they are gonna say....and the cat was rescued from the horror of being stuck in the tree

Space_Dude
23-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Just saw that some animals in a zoo got treats... That's not News!!

Space_Dude
23-12-2008, 05:42 PM
They don't talk about heart attack stories unless it was someone important or famous.

If someone's been bashed, they air it to raise awareness that it happened and to possible try to find the attackers.
Umm... They said they already caught the attacker.. cause he was drunk...

Miranda
23-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Umm... They said they already caught the attacker.. cause he was drunk...
We wern't talking about a particular news story in particular.

chesstash
23-12-2008, 07:27 PM
what?

Kaitlin
23-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Could they be waking up to brainwashing.... no they are just dribbling :rolleyes:

Sinister
04-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Could they be waking up to brainwashing.... no they are just dribbling :rolleyes:
she almost thwarted my plans of world domination:eek:

Saragossa
19-01-2009, 01:24 PM
This thread has alot of potential :clap:Demann:clap: we just need issues to discuss.

I would like to bring to the table the death by shooting of a 15yo boy in melbourne. Shot dead by police google the case for more info on it as it is an extremely interesting discussion topic.

that Caesar guy
21-01-2009, 05:20 PM
This thread has alot of potential :clap:Demann:clap: we just need issues to discuss.

I would like to bring to the table the death by shooting of a 15yo boy in melbourne. Shot dead by police google the case for more info on it as it is an extremely interesting discussion topic.
The 15yo boy was shot because he was in possesion of multiple knives, and was threatening to kill the police. He also began throwing knives at them (3 in total, one narrowly missing an officer) and they decided to make the call to shoot him.
Police didn't shoot to wound because, by the law, when you pull your gun, you have to shoot to killAnd, if one officer pulls his gun, other police at present have to do the same thing - shoot.
They couldn't just walk away, as the boy was obviously not in his right mind. But they couldn't immobolise him, as they didn't have tasers, or batons, etc.
He was also going to threaten civilians near-by. So they shot him.

The werid thing is, this certain individual was not under the influence of alcohol, or drugs. And no history of insanity had been reported about him
Very strange:hmm:

To my knowledge, these are the facts. Yes, very interesting, and you must feel sorry for the police, the family of the child and of course, the boy.

JM

Saragossa
21-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Legal dosen't mean shit when it comes to a kids life. He was tear gassed twice but still continued if it was four of them versus one of him the use of binlids or any weapon that wouldn't kill him.

The reason I believe that they didn't shoot at legs is the fact that a miss could very well harm someone else. The police are having a hard time and I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them ate a bullet themselves but as far as a police operation goes that was a complete #$%* up that kid shouldn't be dead.

On the bright side it'll probably be used to get tazers for every police man.

that Caesar guy
22-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Legal dosen't mean shit when it comes to a kids life. He was tear gassed twice but still continued if it was four of them versus one of him the use of binlids or any weapon that wouldn't kill him.

The reason I believe that they didn't shoot at legs is the fact that a miss could very well harm someone else. The police are having a hard time and I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them ate a bullet themselves but as far as a police operation goes that was a complete #$%* up that kid shouldn't be dead.

On the bright side it'll probably be used to get tazers for every police man.
I agree, but, they can't just hit him with binlids. Besides, with they kid throwing knives around like tennis balls, he's probably going to kill someone else if they don't stop him. And I know it's horrible that this ever happened, but the only option they had was to shoot, as he was also pulling out a forth and fifth knife. They only shoot if it is the only option. Police also don't carry binlids as a standard assault weapon, and would need to find something, which might take too long.

It would be a shit decision to make in their position, but, despite everything, they did use their only option.

JM

Saragossa
22-01-2009, 04:01 PM
"The only option they had was to shoot" I would personally with three other people charge down a twice maced knife wielding 15yo without second thought.

In all the reports I have read he only had two eight inch butchers knives stolen from Kmart and none were thrown (can't be sure I'll get the report from somewhere). A cop might get hurt but they have hand cuffs and guns which can both be used as weapons not to mention mace.

Forced to shoot is bollocks those cops were absolute cowards.

Saragossa
11-05-2009, 07:47 PM
SWINE FLU! Are we all going to die or is it just another avian flu media fright with nothing to back it up?

I personally think it's just another scare to keep people on their toes.

Sinister
11-05-2009, 07:51 PM
SWINE FLU! Are we all going to die or is it just another avian flu media fright with nothing to back it up?

it's a real flu nut not to be worried about, it be slowing down and people will have a cure soon

kjenhager
11-05-2009, 07:53 PM

like a fire drill ?

kjenhager
11-05-2009, 07:56 PM
it's a real flu nut not to be worried about, it be slowing down and people will have a cure soon
Who do you think will produce the vaccine ?
I've heard the Baxter company heads the list.

Miranda
11-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I am of the opinion that it's just a sensationalized media story. Sells more newspapers.

kjenhager
11-05-2009, 07:58 PM
I am of the opinion that it's just a sensationalized media story. Sells more newspapers.
Do you think there is a problem when the aim is to sell papers rather than accurately inform ?

Miranda
11-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Do you think there is a problem when the aim is to sell papers rather than accurately inform ?
Of course... but that's what the media's been doing for years, and we seem to have been getting along fine :lol:

Sinister
11-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Of course... but that's what the media's been doing for years, and we seem to have been getting along fine :lol:
damn it she be right, the media jumps at every chance of a story and nobody notices

kjenhager
11-05-2009, 08:05 PM
you mean, blissfully ignorant ?

kjenhager
11-05-2009, 08:07 PM
damn it she be right, the media jumps at every chance of a story and nobody notices The death throes of the old media you think ?

Miranda
11-05-2009, 08:07 PM
you mean, blissfully ignorant ?
Ignorance is bliss. :)

Space_Dude
11-05-2009, 08:13 PM
News is incredibly unbelievably corrupted and says crap about a celebrities diet and botox and yabbas.... It useless and noone wants to know about that!

kjenhager
11-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Ignorance is bliss. :)
Can you think of a time in history when that approach proved dangerous ?

Sinister
11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
it was when bliss became total ignorance

kjenhager
11-05-2009, 08:20 PM
News is incredibly unbelievably corrupted and says crap about a celebrities diet and botox and yabbas.... It useless and noone wants to know about that!
Tell him that ! http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/michaeltomasky/2009/may/07/rupert-murdoch-internet

Miranda
11-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Of course. The one that immediately springs to mind is the Trojan horse....

kjenhager
11-05-2009, 08:21 PM
it was when bliss became total ignorance
a tricky tipping point to appreciate no doubt

kjenhager
11-05-2009, 08:23 PM
hmm how apt .
History is a wonderful teacher is it not ?

Space_Dude
11-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I hate the Trojan horse virus so annoying, then again there is a life OUTSIDE THE COMPUTER... nah... I don't want to be banned again...

Sinister
11-05-2009, 08:28 PM
ignorance can also be seen as a mental shield from the truth

kjenhager
11-05-2009, 08:34 PM
ignorance can also be seen as a mental shield from the truth yes the truth is very dangerous

Miranda
11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
I hate the Trojan horse virus so annoying, then again there is a life OUTSIDE THE COMPUTER... nah... I don't want to be banned again...
We are talking about the Trojan horse, that the Greeks used to invade the city of Troy. Your post was an obvious example of attempting to troll, and was also irrelevant.

Saragossa
11-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't think that people are too ignorant about things that concern their safety. I think the problem is that alot of people believe everything they read that is mainstream then ignore conspiracy theorists etc when quite a few could actually be right. And even if we do know the truth there is not alot we can do about it! Oil america etc etc invasions 9/11 holocaust etc etc false information is everywhere the ability to think on your feet is where it is at.

Saragossa
11-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I think possibly whaling is one of the best examples of people not being ignorant but not doing anything to help (except some awesome hardcore guys).

Sinister
11-05-2009, 10:13 PM
I think possibly whaling is one of the best examples of people not being ignorant but not doing anything to help (except some awesome hardcore guys).
perhaps they are being ignorant towards people that want to stop them and they know the consequences of over-killing the whales

Saragossa
12-05-2009, 04:49 PM
perhaps they are being ignorant towards people that want to stop them and they know the consequences of over-killing the whales

That is probabley true but I think there should be a reaction without knowing what would happen if all the whales were to die. People should simply react to the fact that whales are being killed in a cruel way, needlessly aswell.

Sinister
12-05-2009, 05:50 PM
That is probabley true but I think there should be a reaction without knowing what would happen if all the whales were to die. People should simply react to the fact that whales are being killed in a cruel way, needlessly aswell.
the people doing it don't see the killing of whales as needless but everybody else does

Saragossa
14-05-2009, 06:16 PM
If anybody watches the Gruen transfer you would have noticed that one of the ads that were supposed to be pitched wasn't? Well I took a look at the site and there was quite an interresting discussion about it. Point of view from anyone?

http://www.antiprejudicead.net/ ok the ad will offend some viewers but the site has heaps of warnings about this.

Miranda
14-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I like the Gruen Transfer... I can easily see how this would've offended many people. It makes a good point, but... hm. It's a tough call.

Saragossa
14-05-2009, 07:43 PM
I like the Gruen Transfer... I can easily see how this would've offended many people. It makes a good point, but... hm. It's a tough call.

Yeah I thought it should have been shown because people can appreciate even what he was attempting to do, however I believe the way he did it was wrong.

Miranda
14-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah I thought it should have been shown because people can appreciate even what he was attempting to do, however I believe the way he did it was wrong.
Yes.. I think that telling discrimnatory jokes, although it does get the message across, is too confronting for Australian audiences currently.

Space_Dude
23-06-2009, 08:44 PM
I wonder if the media still uses propaganda...?

Miranda
23-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I wonder if the media still uses propaganda...?
:lol:
Somehow, I believe they still do...

Space_Dude
07-07-2009, 10:35 AM
has anyone notice that the stars have been dying alot since the past decade?? this really worries me...

Saragossa
07-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Don't tell me about any new ones cos I'm still devo about James "Jim" Morrison :( :( :(

Sinister
08-07-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm so sick of all the bullsh#t about that plastic man (Michael Jackson) being dead. The man was a freak.

Rincewind
08-07-2009, 11:34 AM
has anyone notice that the stars have been dying alot since the past decade?? this really worries me...

I think you need to listen to Billy Joel's We didn't start the fire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Didn%27t_Start_the_Fire). Annoying song but the lyrics are educational. The message is that the mass media makes headlines sound like every story is the biggest story of the century. When you're young this has the effect to make you think you are living in tumultuous times, when in reality 99% of the time it is business as usual. :)

Saragossa
08-07-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm so sick of all the bullsh#t about that plastic man (Michael Jackson) being dead. The man was a freak.

Insensitive to say the least. Being glad about anyones death is warped, even if he was slightly strange that's no reason to want him dead. You should be ashamed.

Saragossa
08-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Insensitive to say the least. Being glad about anyones death is warped, even if he was slightly strange that's no reason to want him dead. You should be ashamed.

P.S. I'm all up for clever humour but your statement was in no way clever, just plain cruel.

Saragossa
11-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Big news, technology wise, is the iPhone 4 and its competition with Google's Android OS. What do we believe?

Desmond
11-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Big news, technology wise, is the iPhone 4 and its competition with Google's Android OS. What do we believe?
Chrome OS is going to take over the world. You heard it here first.

Saragossa
11-06-2010, 02:39 PM
I agree, and not just because you have one of the best avatars I have seen in a while. However I would like to believe they won't (and I'll encourage buying from other companies).

Googlisation is a serious threat, especially seeing how much we rely on technology in contemporary society. If consumers can band together and evenly distribute the sales, or at least have helthy competition for Google, then we can ensure the highest quality products coming out. Apple failed like this, they had the best products on the market and it was known in media circles, they became complacent and attmpted to riddle money out, now they are paying the price as Android phones sky-rocket in sales. With this shock, I believe, there will be loads more pressure on the Apple team (A-Team amirite?) to reform and produce the same awesome quality as before. If this does not happen we can be satisified in the resulting dystopia of a Google governed world.

Saragossa
24-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Julia Gillard usurping Rudd's position. Opinions?

I don't particularly care who runs the country; I could do a better job than all of them.

jhughes
29-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Julia Gillard usurping Rudd's position. Opinions?

I don't particularly care who runs the country; I could do a better job than all of them.
It's easy for anyone to say given their current position. However, the fact is that being PM is very stressful. Rudd worked so hard he only got 2 hours of sleep a night, and yet they still sacked him.

Saragossa
30-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Weak, I wouldn't have slept at all. Vote #1 Lawrence Bretag

Desmond
30-06-2010, 11:28 AM
It's easy for anyone to say given their current position. However, the fact is that being PM is very stressful. Rudd worked so hard he only got 2 hours of sleep a night, and yet they still sacked him.
he needed to l2delegate

Saragossa
10-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Wikileaks and the Julian Assange fiasco, what are the youths' opinions?

I haven't been keeping up with the details at all, but by word of mouth I have picked up the basics. The fact his website got shut down but there are over 1000 mirrors and all the files are available by torrent shows how much people want the truth to get out (whether the website is preaching the truth I am not to know). There is another thread in the non-chess section but I would love to hear some opinions from the teens here.

Saragossa
13-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Quite late but the shootings in Norway generated a lot of discussion about the death penalty and longer prison sentences. I believe scandinavian countries seem to have the right idea about rehabilitation rather than execution and even the shooter will be doing a long stretch, the fact his rehabilitation will be of foremost importance is something to admire. My views on the death penalty have drastically changed over the last year.