PDA

View Full Version : Chess at University of Queensland

Garrett
15-12-2008, 12:06 PM
This thread is for UQ Chess.

Garrett
15-12-2008, 12:08 PM
I cannot remember the exact chesschat handles of the guys who play at UQ but this is just a short note to let you know I have a friend flying in from Perth on Friday so will not be able to play.

cheers
Garrett.

pappubahry
15-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Righty-o Garrett. After you left last week I continued to play some pretty bad chess. Left myself open to a back-rank mate-in-one against Brendan. :wall: Then we played a 25min game, I went down a piece in about 15-20 moves and then to keep things interesting he let me have a takeback, and from there I played better and ended up winning. Now I just have to not make the mistakes in the first place....

Garrett
15-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Now I just have to not make the mistakes in the first place....

yeah good luck !!

Actually Brendan should have smashed me both times too.

I saw a PhD student Brisbane club member at lunch time and I let him know that there are some chess players kicking about UQ so he might drop in sometime.

Cheers
Garrett.

Garrett
26-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see Ben Lazarus and Brendan Griffen manning a stall at UQ orientation yesterday.

They had a page and a half of names expressing interest in a UQ chess club.

Without wanting to sound like any sort of official announcement, seems like the plan is to meet 3-4pm Wednesdays somewhere in the UQ Union complex.

Cheers
Garrett.

pappubahry
26-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Wow, it sounds like they're all organised.

Unfortunately I have a job now, but if I ever get a Wednesday afternoon off I'll pop in.

Garrett
26-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Unfortunately I have a job now, but if I ever get a Wednesday afternoon off I'll pop in.

The job's fine, it's just in the wrong place !

What are you up to David ?

Cheers
Garrett.

pappubahry
26-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Currently in France for some training with the French director of my company (doing geostatistics). Will be back in Brisbane on Friday week. Not really studying much chess while I'm over here, occasionally I read a bit of Watson's 1.e4 book on the train, but otherwise I just lurk here and watch the correspondence games without thinking about them too hard.

Garrett
26-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Currently in France for some training with the French director of my company (doing geostatistics). Will be back in Brisbane on Friday week. Not really studying much chess while I'm over here, occasionally I read a bit of Watson's 1.e4 book on the train, but otherwise I just lurk here and watch the correspondence games without thinking about them too hard.

wow France - have fun !

cheers
Garrett.

Blue Vitriol
07-03-2009, 05:36 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see Ben Lazarus and Brendan Griffen manning a stall at UQ orientation yesterday.

They had a page and a half of names expressing interest in a UQ chess club.

Without wanting to sound like any sort of official announcement, seems like the plan is to meet 3-4pm Wednesdays somewhere in the UQ Union complex.

Cheers
Garrett.

Hi,

Yes the Chess Club should start next Wednesday.
From 3 to 6PM I think.
Have you joined?

Blue Vitriol
07-03-2009, 05:42 PM
UQ Chess (http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/people/griffen/UQ%20Chess%20Club/index.html)

Garrett
07-03-2009, 06:16 PM
cool

nice website. It might be just me but I couldn't find the map it mentioned to find the whereabouts of the Holt room though.

cheers
Garrett

bgriffenchop
13-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Here are the details of the new club:

Where: Building 67 - Priestley Building (Mathematics), Room 641, on level 6. Go up in lift, then turn left and then down the hall on the left.
When: 3.30 - 5, Every Wednesday
What to bring: Yourself and your friends keen on chess. We provide the boards and pieces.
Website: http://www.physics.uq.edu.au/uqchessclub/ It's basic at the moment but has all the info you need. Check back for updates each week. It is still in development.

Garrett
13-03-2009, 03:12 PM
yeah see you next Wednesday.

I saw Molthun's name on the list, is he at Uni already ?

cheers
George.

bgriffenchop
13-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Yes. He thrashed us all at Market Day. He might tag along to rough Ben up, as he is the only one who can. :)

yeah see you next Wednesday.

I saw Molthun's name on the list, is he at Uni already ?

cheers
George.

Garrett
13-03-2009, 07:10 PM
cool

not an easy thing to thrash Ben.

If Molthun, Ben, and you were interested in entering a UQ team into the Qld teams I would donate the money to enter.

Probably push Logan around a bit.

cheers
Garrett.

bgriffenchop
28-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi All,

We're finally running a chess tournament next week. I realise many of you might be busy but take this chance to take some time out to relax next Wednesday!

The details are as follows:

Who: All welcome!
Where: Building 67, Room 641 (Priestley)
When: 3.30pm - 5pm (start at 3.40pm sharp), 3rd June, 2009 - next week!!
Tournament Details: 10 minutes each (we have clocks), 5 Rounds (Swiss)
Entry: Gold coin donation and for new members add $2 membership for the year.
Prize: 1st: 10% of total entry fees, 2nd: 5% of total entry fees, <2nd: Something tasty

There will also be casual games available for those that don't want to play in the tournament.

Please come along & bring your mates!

Regards,

Brendan Griffen

pappubahry
28-05-2009, 03:28 PM
5 rounds at 20min/round means that it'll go till around 5:20.

I've yet to get a Wednesday afternoon off, so I'm unlikely to make it....

bgriffenchop
19-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi All,

We're finally running a chess tournament next week. I realise many of you might be busy but take this chance to take some time out to relax next Wednesday!

The details are as follows:

Who: All welcome!
Where: Building 67, Room 641 (Priestley)
When: 3.30pm - 5pm (start at 3.40pm sharp), 3rd June, 2009 - next week!!
Tournament Details: 10 minutes each (we have clocks), 5 Rounds (Swiss)
Entry: Gold coin donation and for new members add $2 membership for the year.
Prize: 1st: 10% of total entry fees, 2nd: 5% of total entry fees, <2nd: Something tasty

There will also be casual games available for those that don't want to play in the tournament.

Please come along & bring your mates!

Regards,

Brendan Griffen

These details are now obsolete: Please check for all the information relating to the UQ chess club.

www.uqchessclub.wordpress.com (http://www.uqchessclub.wordpress.com)

Garrett
19-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi

I've had a request from UQ Chess Club to add the website address

www.uqchessclub.wordpress.com

to the first post of this thread so people don't have to wade through the whole thread.

I cannot do it as it is well over the edit time window.

Would it be possible for a moderator to do it please ?

Cheers
Garrett.

Rincewind
19-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Would it be possible for a moderator to do it please ?

You can inform the UQ chess club that waders are no longer a requirement. Unless of course they are also in the UQ fly fishing club. ;)

Garrett
20-02-2010, 11:48 AM
thanks very much Rincy !!

Cheers
Garrett.