PDA

View Full Version : When is the 2008 CV AGM

Bill Gletsos
29-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Is the CV AGM being held today or tommorrow?

Leonid Sandler
29-11-2008, 06:02 PM
The answer is no.

Bill Gletsos
29-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Then according to CV's constitution it appears Cv is in breach for the second year running as its constitution requires it to be held no later than Novemebr with a 21 day notice.

Igor_Goldenberg
29-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Let me congratulate NSWCA and it's president on successfully holding AGM ahead of Victoria. Well done.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bill Gletsos
29-11-2008, 07:59 PM
NSW just schedules it for the last weekend in November.

Spiny Norman
30-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Then according to CV's constitution it appears Cv is in breach for the second year running as its constitution requires it to be held no later than Novemebr with a 21 day notice.
You have eagle-eyes Bill ... I hadn't noticed the time passing so quickly ... :eek:

Bill Gletsos
30-11-2008, 09:30 AM
You have eagle-eyes Bill ... I hadn't noticed the time passing so quickly ... :eek:Well in the past CV nearly always held their AGM around the same time as the NSWCA.
However last year I became aware of their constitutional constraints when they missed holding it in November.

The question no doubt for Victorians is what will CV do about it this year.
Will they try and get a notice out ASAP so as to hold it by the end of 2008, or will they just let it run into February like they did this year.

Spiny Norman
01-12-2008, 06:43 AM
If I cared, I'd be asking whether they "did the right thing" and got permission from VIC Consumer Affairs to hold it at a later date ... but since I don't, I won't ...

MichaelBaron
02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
but since I don't, I won't ...

:)

Desmond
02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
If I cared, I'd be asking whether they "did the right thing" and got permission from VIC Consumer Affairs to hold it at a later date ... but since I don't, I won't ...If they had been organised enough to do that, they could have simply held the meeting instead.

Garvinator
02-12-2008, 05:47 PM
If I cared, I'd be asking whether they "did the right thing" and got permission from VIC Consumer Affairs to hold it at a later date ... but since I don't, I won't ...
Or is it more that you dont think you would get a fair dinkum answer :whistle:

Desmond
14-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Did anything happen about this?

Denis_Jessop
14-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Did anything happen about this?

The CV 2009 Calendar shows it as on Sunday 8 February 2009.

DJ

Bill Gletsos
14-01-2009, 08:15 PM
The CV 2009 Calendar shows it as on Sunday 8 February 2009.Interestingly that makes their 2008 AGM even later than their previous 2007 AGM that was held on 4th February 2008.

I wonder if they will be clever enough to place their following 2009 AGM on the 2009 calendar for November 2009.

Hopefully that way they wont forget to hold it at the correct time and in line with their constitution three years running.

TrueBeliever
14-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Now that you know the date Bill why don't you come along, We need a sapientone in Victoria

Kevin Bonham
14-01-2009, 09:14 PM
What are the actual consequences (if any) of failure to hold an AGM in time?

Bill Gletsos
14-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Now that you know the date Bill why don't you come along, We need a sapientone in VictoriaWell Gerry you and Trevor Stannings could certainly have used one.

Your bid for the 2008 Australian Championship was one of the worst bids I have ever seen. How could you seriously charge $200 entry fees to GM's and IM's.
Your subsequent bid for the 2008 Australian Junior wasnt much better.

As for AGM's Gerry, you could not do something as simple as hold the 2007 CV AGM in accordance with CV's constitution.
Your clayton's treasurer for the year Trevor Stanning claims elsewhere that it wasnt his responsibility.
One however would have hoped that even an acting Treasurer (who in reality had been the CV Treasurer in previous years) was fully aware of the constitutional requirements and could have helpded you out with a gentle reminder.

Be that as it may I wonder what Trevor Stanning's excuse for failing to hold the 2008 AGM in accordance with the CV Consitution.
Guess it must have just slipped his mind.

Mischa
14-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Well Gerry you and Trevor Stannings could certainly have used one.

The pair of you could not do something as simple as hold an AGM in accordance with a constitution.

So is this some kind of punishable event?
I mean do the ACF have some kind of thing that they do in these incidences or is it just a noisy rattling of sabres?
How separate is the Canterbury/Box Hill thingy from CV anyway?
just curious cos I never understood it

Desmond
14-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Worst case I suppose would be being de-registered by the office of fair trading. Not sure if that would happen for holding the meeting late though.

Mischa
14-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Worst case I suppose would be being de-registered by the office of fair trading. Not sure if that would happen for holding the meeting late though.

That is the only offence I gather....
Not punishable by death!!!...:)

Bill Gletsos
14-01-2009, 10:59 PM
So is this some kind of punishable event?Yes by the relevant State Government department.

I mean do the ACF have some kind of thing that they do in these incidences or is it just a noisy rattling of sabres?Nothing to do with the ACF.
The point is that given CC missed holding their 2007 AGM in accordance with their constitution that they would have made every effort to ensure they did so for the 2008 AGM.
They obviously did not.

How separate is the Canterbury/Box Hill thingy from CV anyway?
just curious cos I never understood itHow other clubs in Victoria see it is unclear.

The view from interstate appears that there is very little difference.

Bill Gletsos
14-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Worst case I suppose would be being de-registered by the office of fair trading. Not sure if that would happen for holding the meeting late though.Failing to meet their constitutional requirements and failing to meet the requrements of the Associations Act are two different matters.

Ian Murray
15-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Failing to meet their constitutional requirements and failing to meet the requrements of the Associations Act are two different matters.
In Queensland incorporated associations must hold an AGM every year not later than six months after end of financial year

Penalty for non-compliance is 10 penalty points for each member of the management committee. Current value of a penalty point is $75.

It is moot at what point Fair Trading would take punitive action - presumably there would need to be grounds for serious concern

Desmond
15-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Yes, I suppose in the first instance the CV committee will be answerable to its members. Do the members think it is reasonable that the meeting is being held late? Possibly they do not care.

Denis_Jessop
15-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Yes, I suppose in the first instance the CV committee will be answerable to its members. Do the members think it is reasonable that the meeting is being held late? Possibly they do not care.

If the Victorian Act is similar to the ACT one you will find a general penalty provision towards the end of the Act that makes it an offence for a committee member to fail to ensure that the association complies with the Act, punishable by a fine on conviction. Whether such a step were taken would depend on the relevant authorities knowing of the breach and deciding to prosecute. Enforcement practices may vary from State to State. I would doubt that the ACT authorities would prosecute, at least for a first offence. If the relevant association's constitution were to provide for the holding of its AGM by a certain time but the Act allowed a greater time, probably the constitutional provision would be invalid as inconsistent with the ACT.

DJ

TrueBeliever
15-01-2009, 05:19 PM
And the last of the ACF's usual suspects has arrived. Surely ACF councillors have better things to do than nitpicking about the CV constitution and denigrating our office bearers

Basil
15-01-2009, 05:45 PM
And the last of the ACF's usual suspects has arrived. Surely ACF councillors have better things to do than nitpicking about the CV constitution and denigrating our office bearers
I recall being challenged (elsewhere, no not on the tool idiot box) with a similar "better things to" diversion. I have been relaibly informed that I successfully dealt with that furfie by suggesting:

Your question implied that we should do either one or the other. If I were feeling unkind I'd say wouldn't you be better off focusing on breathing? But like you, we can do two things at once.

It's just a simple question relating to chess admin. Knickers back on please.

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2009, 05:51 PM

Did you consider my question in #16 to be either nitpicking or denigration and if so why?

Have I made any other comment on this matter that you take exception to and if so why?

Denis_Jessop
15-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Gerry

You could at least have said who you were talking about even though you prefer to hide behind a pseudonym. You seem to forget that CV is an affiliate of the ACF and thus has certain responsibilities that not only affect the ACF but can lead to disaffiliiation of the State Association concerned. Let's see what your paranoia makes of that :D

DJ

Bill Gletsos
15-01-2009, 07:55 PM
I see where elsewhere Trevor Stanning objects to my wording in my post #17 in this thread.

For his benefit I will edit it for greater clarification and detail.

MichaelBaron
15-01-2009, 10:55 PM
In Queensland incorporated associations must hold an AGM every year not later than six months after end of financial year

Penalty for non-compliance is 10 penalty points for each member of the management committee. Current value of a penalty point is $75.

It is moot at what point Fair Trading would take punitive action - presumably there would need to be grounds for serious concern

So does it Mean that in Queensland if the State chess Association does not hold its meeting on time - each of the committee member will have to pay $750? Given that all the officcers are unpaid volonteers - this appears to be a bit harsh.:hmm:

Kevin Bonham
15-01-2009, 11:05 PM
So does it Mean that in Queensland if the State chess Association does not hold its meeting on time - each of the committee member will have to pay $750? Given that all the officcers are unpaid volonteers - this appears to be a bit harsh.:hmm:

These are the sorts of things that associations sometimes have to consider seriously when deciding whether they want to be (or remain) incorporated.

Ian Murray
15-01-2009, 11:11 PM
These are the sorts of things that associations sometimes have to consider seriously when deciding whether they want to be (or remain) incorporated.

Volunteers need also be aware of the legal responsibilities when accepting office

MichaelBaron
15-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I am going to be in an anusual (for me) shoes this time and speak in defence of chess CV.

So here is my highly subjective (as always) personal opinion :)

Being a chess-player I measure chess CV's performance not so much on the basis of the meetings held (unless i feel that the current team needs to be voted out of office) but on the basis of things done.

I still find alot of things about the way Chess CV works far from perfect.

However since Katrin and Leonid took over the office - several positive changes started to appear namely:

1) Vic Masters event was revived :clap:
2) Interclub is already more alive than Dead:clap:
3) Website is still in need of facelift but is nevertheless getting better

These are 3 positive changes that come to mind. I can not think of a single negative one compared to how the things were done before.

There are still a lot of issues that i think need to be addressed such as how to assist the clubs (other than Canterbury) to gain as much from working closely with Chess CV as Canterbury does.

But Lets try to see things in prospective - I feel that over the last year - things definitely got better and I am happy about it and therefore, I am happy to support (at least for now as i can see light in the end of the tunnel) Chess CV.

Is it good that meeting is not held on time? Definitely not. But i see it as a shortcoming/oversight rather than an end of the world. Therefore, I am being positive!

Mischa
15-01-2009, 11:15 PM
How does CV help other clubs other than the Canterbury/Box Hill/CV group?
Not a crit as such just a question

MichaelBaron
16-01-2009, 11:25 AM
How does CV help other clubs other than the Canterbury/Box Hill/CV group?
Not a crit as such just a question

I have the same question actually :).

One good development though is that there is now an online chess calendar available on the Chess CV website. Hopefully, the clubs will submit details of their events to be posted over there.

Spiny Norman
16-01-2009, 12:43 PM
However since Katrin and Leonid took over the office - several positive changes started to appear ...
I agree, in that I think there have been some great positives to come out of this year. I was expecially pleased to note that Katrin paid us a visit at Croydon and spent some time chatting to our president. That sort of face-to-face communication and relationship building work is excellent.

But I also think we can have our cake and eat it too. There are certain requirements due for any committee/board member, and one of them is that one must observe the constitution (or if you don't like it, change the constitution!). This is the second consecutive year that the AGM has been missed, and not withstanding the other good things that have been documented by yourself above, I think this is a great concern.

The members (clubs) are due a report on the year, an opportunity to review the financials, and we would no doubt wish to express our appreciation to the committee and endorse them for a further year (assuming they wish to stand again).

Holding the AGM is a primary obligation of the committee, not a secondary concern that is a "take it or leave it" proposition.

Denis_Jessop
16-01-2009, 03:04 PM

Assuming the Quessnsland situation is like others, it is that the specified penalty is the maximum that may be imposed if the offence is proved. The court has a discretion whether to impose it or something less which may even be to find the offence proved but not record a conviction. The important point is that the law regards the matter as a criminal offence so it is not a matter to be taken lightly.

I add that nothing that has been said about the holding of the CV AGM has, it seems to me, anything to do with its performance as the peak Victorian chess body throughout the year which is quite a different matter.

DJ

Ian Murray
16-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Assuming the Quessnsland situation is like others, it is that the specified penalty is the maximum that may be imposed if the offence is proved. The court has a discretion whether to impose it or something less which may even be to find the offence proved but not record a conviction. The important point is that the law regards the matter as a criminal offence so it is not a matter to be taken lightly.

I add that nothing that has been said about the holding of the CV AGM has, it seems to me, anything to do with its performance as the peak Victorian chess body throughout the year which is quite a different matter.

DJ
It would need considerably more that a late AGM to trigger court proceedings by Fair Trading. At the very least, I imagine a number of warnings would be given first.

The only instance I have heard of, and that a hearsay account only, is a move by Fair Trading to close down a moneylending business after three qualified audits.

Denis_Jessop
16-01-2009, 06:52 PM
It would need considerably more that a late AGM to trigger court proceedings by Fair Trading. At the very least, I imagine a number of warnings would be given first.

The only instance I have heard of, and that a hearsay account only, is a move by Fair Trading to close down a moneylending business after three qualified audits.

That's what I would have expected. In matters such as this prosecuting authorities rarely act without first giving a warning and only prosecute if there is persistent failure to comply. Also the presrcibed penalty, often mentioned in terrorem by governments is virtually never imposed for a first offence.

Denis_Jessop
16-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Reference my post #29, there are a couple of hilarious posts in another place that reveal a depth of ignorance not previously shown by the goons over there.

Firegoat laments the lack of a national tournament circuit which may explain why so few Victorian events are entered in the ACF National Tournament circuit known as the ACF Grand Prix.

The Tool laments how the ACF deprived Libby Smith of $2000 (sic) totally ignoring the fact that the money paid by Libby was long ago refunded to her.

Not surprisingly neither of those matters has any relevance to the matter in hand.

The only pseudo-relevant matter is the wonder at how True Believer can be a pseudonym if I know who he is. This esoteric argument is completely undermined by the fact that I don't know who he is but hazarded an intelligent guess, something that is beyond the capabilities of the Goat and the Tool.

Keep it up chaps; it's all good fun.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2009, 07:39 PM
One of many highlights in that hilariously silly rant by firegoat was him calling for CV to disassociate itself from the ACF when firegoat himself is an MCC loyalist and MCC generally ignore the existence of CV.

MichaelBaron
16-01-2009, 11:04 PM
One of many highlights in that hilariously silly rant by firegoat was him calling for CV to disassociate itself from the ACF when firegoat himself is an MCC loyalist and MCC generally ignore the existence of CV.

This is true that MCC ignores CV but its even more true that CV has ignored MCC for years.

Denis_Jessop
17-01-2009, 11:27 AM
This is true that MCC ignores CV but its even more true that CV has ignored MCC for years.

Is that what is known as a Mexican stand-off? :)

DJ

Garvinator
17-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Apart from not following the constitution, which then gives rise to speculation about competency to run the organisation as a whole, I think one of the main points about not holding the AGM when it is supposed to be held by the constitution is:

That it makes it more difficult for people to know when positions come up for election, which in turn makes it more difficult to recruit new people to positions, at a time when usually the gripe is that we are all short of people on the state councils.

Also, I think one of the reasons to avoid an oft investigation on a small issue of when the AGM is held late, is that it can start an oft investigation of all matters relating to the organisation. Which can lead to all sorts of trouble, all stemming from the simple matter of not holding your AGM 'on time'.

ER
17-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Coming to think of it, some other reasons can include:
To overthrow the State Govt
To Declare Victoria a Republic and
To annex Tasmania

CAGLES

PS ScarletFire, can I have some decoration here pls???

TrueBeliever
17-01-2009, 10:22 PM
I think in his post 29 DJ did treathen CV with disaffiliation, so Denis can you just calm down a bit here. The CV annual general meeting date was approved by the CV public officer. The date is within the requirements of the Victorian Justice Department. We suggest to all ACF councillors over-exited by their perceived power to take a Bex and a have a good lay down

Bill Gletsos
17-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I think in his post 29 DJ did treathen CV with disaffiliation, so Denis can you just calm down a bit here.I think you need to improve your comprehension skills and at the same time drop your paranoia level.

The CV annual general meeting date was approved by the CV public officer. The date is within the requirements of the Victorian Justice Department.The relevant department in Victoria is the Department of Consumer Affairs.

Statutory obligations of incorporated associations

Main obligations
A summary of the main statutory obligations follows:

Conduct annual general meetings
Each calendar year, an incorporated association must hold an annual general meeting, within 5 months of the end of the association's financial year.The critical wording is "each calendar year".
Given CV's end of financial year is 30th September then to comply with the Incorporated Associations Act they needed to hold their AGM by 31st December.

Of course this was all discussed last year when you failed to ensure the 2007 AGM was held in 2007. :doh: :doh: :doh:

We suggest to all ACF councillors over-exited by their perceived power to take a Bex and a have a good lay downCV's failure to hold its AGM in accordance with its own constitution has nothing to do with the power of the ACF.

It is all to do with the simple fact that they failed to do so, not once but two years in succession.

As for being over-excited the only one over-excited around here is you.

Spiny Norman
18-01-2009, 07:00 AM
The CV annual general meeting date was approved by the CV public officer. The date is within the requirements of the Victorian Justice Department.
May I point out that the public officer (indeed, no officer at all) has the right to breach the organisation's constitution, which states:

Ref: http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com/cv_constitution.htm

Annual General Meeting
(13) The Secretary shall in each calendar year convene a General Meeting to be called the Annual General Meeting.
(14) The Annual General Meeting shall be held in October or November on such day as the Executive determines.

As I clearly indicated in an earlier post, the obligation of the Executive is to obey the organisation's constitution, and if they cannot (or will not) do so, they are in breach of their obligations.

All due respect to the Public Officer, but he/she does not have the right to do whatever he/she likes in respect of the AGM.

Either obey the constitution of the organisation, or change it by putting forward a resolution at a special meeting (or at the AGM).

Garvinator
18-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Either obey the constitution of the organisation, or change it by putting forward a resolution at a special meeting (or at the AGM).
Small point here TSK, it is also up to the CV clubs to hold their council to account on this matter by either making this a major issue at the AGM, pass a motion of no confidence, or throw them out.

Denis_Jessop
18-01-2009, 01:49 PM
I think in his post 29 DJ did treathen CV with disaffiliation, so Denis can you just calm down a bit here. The CV annual general meeting date was approved by the CV public officer. The date is within the requirements of the Victorian Justice Department. We suggest to all ACF councillors over-exited by their perceived power to take a Bex and a have a good lay down

Oh dear! My post #29 made clear that it was there to tempt your paranoia and, boy did it ever. The only person who needs to calm down is you.

However, while we are on line, let me correct a total misapprehension (?paranoia) on your part about my reference last year to Victorian chess and Afghanistan (as distinct fom Mexico - see post #44 above). You wrongly assumed that I had cast the CV Executive as warlords. In fact the exact opposite was the case. You, as the the CV President, were the urbane Harmid Khazi, minus the shawls though, ostensibly head of the whole of Afghanistan/Victoria but actually in control only of Kabul/3 Rochester Road. The feuding warlords struggling for control of Afhanistan/Victoria were the varous clubs and coaches including a resurgent Taliban headed by General Rashid Kordovah. I hope that makes the situation clear :D :D :cool:

DJ

MichaelBaron
18-01-2009, 04:32 PM
I hope that makes the situation clear :D :D :cool:

DJ

This actually makes the situation unclear :)

Spiny Norman
18-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Small point here TSK, it is also up to the CV clubs to hold their council to account on this matter by either making this a major issue at the AGM, pass a motion of no confidence, or throw them out.
I would hazard a guess that nobody really wants to go that road. In many respects they've done a good job (I'm assuming that, once revealed, the financial situation will be at least a "par for the course" result). But it would be nice if we didn't have to be picky about stuff which doesn't really add or detract in any way from their performance chess-wise. I think most would be in agreement that there are many things being done right. But this one thing which is being done wrong is not an "optional extra" ... its a legal requirement ... and that's why its a rather annoying thing to have to be talking about.

that Caesar guy
22-01-2009, 05:39 PM
:lol:
To overthrow the State Govt
To Declare Victoria a Republic and
To annex Tasmania

Yes, yes and yes! I totally agree on all your policies. Elliot for Lord Mayor!:lol:
(Especially annexing Tassie. More land is always good.)

ER
22-01-2009, 05:48 PM
:lol:
Yes, yes and yes! I totally agree on all your policies. Elliot for Lord Mayor!:lol:
(Especially annexing Tassie. More land is always good.)

Hey James shhhhhhhhh, don't reveal strategy plans, we might have to face a late challenge by Kevin for this position! ;)

that Caesar guy
22-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey James shhhhhhhhh, don't reveal strategy plans, we might have to face a late challenge by Kevin for this position! ;)
Oh, yeah, forgot.
I didn't say nothing if you didn't hear nothing!

JM

ER
22-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Oh, yeah, forgot.
I didn't say nothing if you didn't hear nothing!

JM

k deal! ;)

Kevin Bonham
22-01-2009, 09:24 PM

Some people here now and then advocate that Tasmania abandon statehood and become a division of Victoria. Very unlikely this will ever happen.

I just remember that there was a cryptic comment in the other place regarding Denis's "Afghanistan" analogy above that I was going to deal with. The cryptic comment came from firegoat and was:

Is he implying Robert Jamieson is a member of the Taliban? Where does that leave Kevin Bonham? Is he a known sympathiser?

I can only assume this is some reference to me getting paid for running Chess Kids tournaments. However I do so on an external contracted basis and have nothing to do with the issues between CK and CV whatsoever. I have not done any work in this area in Victoria thus far, only in Tas where the CK events do not compete with TCA events and have in fact become co-endorsed by the TCA. Finally, whenever I become aware of any CK-related conflict of interest that might affect my vote on an issue at TCA or ACF level, I abstain.

By the way, I don't believe the point of Denis's analogy is to insult rival forces to CV by comparing them with terrorists. Rather, as I see it he is just making the point that CV's actual control of chess in Victoria is limited, whoever controls CV at any time.

Denis_Jessop
24-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Some people here now and then advocate that Tasmania abandon statehood and become a division of Victoria. Very unlikely this will ever happen.

I just remember that there was a cryptic comment in the other place regarding Denis's "Afghanistan" analogy above that I was going to deal with. The cryptic comment came from firegoat and was:

I can only assume this is some reference to me getting paid for running Chess Kids tournaments. However I do so on an external contracted basis and have nothing to do with the issues between CK and CV whatsoever. I have not done any work in this area in Victoria thus far, only in Tas where the CK events do not compete with TCA events and have in fact become co-endorsed by the TCA. Finally, whenever I become aware of any CK-related conflict of interest that might affect my vote on an issue at TCA or ACF level, I abstain.

By the way, I don't believe the point of Denis's analogy is to insult rival forces to CV by comparing them with terrorists. Rather, as I see it he is just making the point that CV's actual control of chess in Victoria is limited, whoever controls CV at any time.

That's absolutely right. I raised it this time only because the opportunity was there to correct a misunderstanding conveyed to the 2007 AGM by the retiring President that I had called the CV Executive "warlords". Quite the opposite was the case. My reference to DC was the subject of a very weird post by FG7 in another place which, as far as it was intelligible at all, was totally off the beam. My post had nothing to do with Tasmania as any sensible person would have known.

DJ

ER
25-01-2009, 09:01 AM
NSW CA AUS DAY W/ender: 69 players
MCC AUS DAY W/ender: 13 Players!

Spiny Norman
25-01-2009, 09:34 AM
What promotional work was done? I'm pretty sure that no brochures were sent to Croydon Chess Club ... there are possibly a few of our players that might have attended if they knew it was on. Visibility is everything.

The weather has warmed up down here. Maybe they've all gone to the beach? Plus some are probably still in Queenstown NZ.

ER
25-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Promotion (or lack of it) might be a case, although I know that Marcus Raine was trying to contact all MCC members by telephone, and it was online as well.
40+ degrees in Sydney yesterday. Heat didn't stop players to enter in numbers that exceed Melbourne's weekender in a ratio of 5 to 1 plus.
Players from NSW played in Queenstown as well
Looking forward to come and visit your Club as soon as I can. I have only heard positive things about CROYDON CHESS CLUB! :clap:

Kevin Bonham
25-01-2009, 11:56 PM

Launceston Weekender had 20 which is about typical for this time of year.

Spiny Norman
26-01-2009, 06:14 AM
JAK. we should catch up for a coffee and a chat ... seeing as I have all this time on my hands at the moment! Or you might like to pop out for the Guy West simul, which is on the 5th Feb if I recall correctly. It would be nice to put a face to the BB handle!

ER
26-01-2009, 07:52 AM
JAK. we should catch up for a coffee and a chat ... seeing as I have all this time on my hands at the moment! Or you might like to pop out for the Guy West simul, which is on the 5th Feb if I recall correctly. It would be nice to put a face to the BB handle!

Sure King, I will PM you sometime today or tomorrow, I need to see my program for this week first! Thanks for inviting! :)

Denis_Jessop
26-01-2009, 08:37 PM
That's absolutely right. I raised it this time only because the opportunity was there to correct a misunderstanding conveyed to the 2007 AGM by the retiring President that I had called the CV Executive "warlords". Quite the opposite was the case. My reference to DC was the subject of a very weird post by FG7 in another place which, as far as it was intelligible at all, was totally off the beam. My post had nothing to do with Tasmania as any sensible person would have known.

DJ

I see that FG7 has responded in another place to this post with an outstanding example of non-comprehension plus the strongest of reasons why Victorian chess administration can do without the likes of him. He claims that David Codover has nothing to do with Victorian chess, thus exposing a fundamental flaw in his approach to chess - for him junior chess is not "Victorian chess".

I do not expect that there are very many other Victorians who believe that junior chess is of no significance, least of all Kerry Lyall who, he suggests, I should consult. He obviously is totally unaware that I have spoken to Kerry several times in recent years on this very matter and other matters concerning junior chess.

I promise that this is the last I'll have to say about FG7 as he is becoming more inane post by post and the next will no doubt be worse than worthless.

DJ

MichaelBaron
26-01-2009, 08:40 PM

Sigh....:(

MichaelBaron
26-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Launceston Weekender had 20 which is about typical for this time of year.

I agree, its disgrace for melbourne that Tassie can get more players.

Mischa
26-01-2009, 09:46 PM
No it is just that so many VIC players are so good they were trying their hand in Queenstown

Bill Gletsos
26-01-2009, 09:56 PM
No it is just that so many VIC players are so good they were trying their hand in QueenstownThat doesnt really explain it since in the last 2 years when there was no Queenstown, they still only got 26 and 22 players respectively.

Mischa
26-01-2009, 10:00 PM
well there is no parking at MCC...
it is not really a user friendly venue
(I will get yelled at for this)

Spiny Norman
10-02-2009, 05:48 AM
I understand, from reading the shouts, that the CV AGM was held. Very odd, as I don't recall our club being provided with a written notification that it was on. How were the notifications sent out? By email??? By phone???

MichaelBaron
10-02-2009, 09:40 AM
When reading about AGM, I am more interested in what the agenda for future development of chess in Victoria is rather than in who was elected...

Bereaved
10-02-2009, 10:40 AM
I understand, from reading the shouts, that the CV AGM was held. Very odd, as I don't recall our club being provided with a written notification that it was on. How were the notifications sent out? By email??? By phone???

Hi Frosty ( just said that for fun )

Richard Goldsmith attended the meeting. I am unsure how he heard of it

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Spiny Norman
10-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks Mac, you're right, indeed Richard did attend, and he has provided our committee today with a brief summation of the AGM and will provide more details when we need meet. I'll ask him when we next meet. Interesting!

Bill Gletsos
10-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Perhaps someone who was there could provide details from the Treasurer's report. e.g. what was the profit/loss for the year and what is CV's current bank balance.

Also what were CV's main sources of income and what were their main expenditure items?