PDA

View Full Version : Grand old man 90 today

peter_parr
19-11-2008, 11:14 AM
The grand old man of Australian Chess, former NSW State Champion

Lloyd Fell celebrates his 90th birthday today.

Happy Birthday Lloyd!

Note: Capablanca was also born on the 19 November exactly 30 years before Lloyd.

ER
19-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Happy Birthday Lloyd Fell, and the best of luck for your future tournaments!
Cheers!!!

Miranda
19-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Happy birthday! :D

MichaelBaron
19-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I do not like Lloyd Fell as he has been openly anti-semitic over the years, but happy birthday anyway :D

Desmond
19-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Happy Birthday to Lloyd, and congrats on the milestone. Is Lloyd still playing chess?

Denis_Jessop
19-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Happy Birthday to Lloyd, and congrats on the milestone. Is Lloyd still playing chess?

As far as I know he is. He has the distinction of having played in every Doeberl Cup since it started in 1963. Congratulations on a memorable and continuing career. I recall from Cecil Purdy's "Chess World" years ago that Lloyd was also a draughts champion at one stage.

DJ

Tzoglanis
19-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I do not like Lloyd Fell as he has been openly anti-semitic over the years,
Michael,
chill man, He's an old harmless funny fellow.
HB Loyd Fell. Glad I finally got a plus score against you before you know what.:owned:

Space_Dude
25-11-2008, 10:22 PM
hes old! anyhow happy b'day:clap: :clap:

Trent Parker
26-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Everyone has their flaws and I'd call him a grumpy old man.

But Theres always a good story or puzzle from Lloyd Fell. I remember playing and beating him, I think it was ADW earlier this year. I played a nice game against Lloyd's Nimzo Indian.

arrache
10-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Lloyd: Sorry I missed the announcement earlier, but belated congratulations!
You beat me to 90 by a month and a few days (mine 24-12-08).
Robin Stokes

Rincewind
11-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I'll ad my belated congratulations to the thread too. Lloyd was seen kibitzing at the Australian Open today and (I think) yesterday too.

MichaelBaron
11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Lloyd: Sorry I missed the announcement earlier, but belated congratulations!
You beat me to 90 by a month and a few days (mine 24-12-08).
Robin Stokes

Using Internet at the age of 90!!! Well done, Robin! :clap:

antichrist
19-02-2009, 05:58 PM
I do not like Lloyd Fell as he has been openly anti-semitic over the years, but happy birthday anyway :D

How I claim the right to criticise Christianity coz it is my culture, Lloyd Fell claim to come under the same catoregy coz he has a Jewish background.

He has also criticised other races who he claimed cheated or threw games at chess. He was barred for such outbursts after I admittedly provoked him further after a touch move debacle by his opponent. I late became friends with the leading players of these other ethnic groups. They admitted that they threw games so that their ethnic mate could win prizemoney.

Lloyd also had Jewish friends who became my friends. I played chess with them at their premises.

So everything must be looked at in context.

antichrist
19-02-2009, 06:00 PM
At an exhibition game, the first time I met him and spoke to him, I was two peices ahead but blew it as I was explaining the game to onlookers as I went.

antichrist
10-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Oh well Lloyd, younger players today have a lot more chances in life and chess career than you had.

A reason LLoyd was tough and in your face was due to him being a union official during rough and much-poorer times

machomortensen
10-11-2011, 04:40 AM
@ Rincewind

You were right. Mr. Fell visited the Australian Open in 2009 (in Dee Why??) twice. We talked shortly during one of the rounds and I was very surprised that he actually remembered me and our game from Australian Open 2003 (Penrith) as it was a long, "semiboring" draw where I pushed halfhearted in a double rook-ending a pawn up.

He allowed me to take a photo of him (in 2009).

HE WAS A GREAT WARRIOR AT THE BOARD!

HVIL I FRED.

Rincewind
10-11-2011, 10:07 AM
(in Dee Why??)

The 2009 Open was held at the Manly-Warringah Leagues Club, on Pittwater Road, Brookvale (just before you get into Dee Why).

machomortensen
10-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Correct, but one of my former pupils lived in Dee Why and she always called the area Dee Why...

We were 3 danes taking part in the tournament.

Adamski
10-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Correct, but one of my former pupils lived in Dee Why and she always called the area Dee Why...

We were 3 Danes taking part in the tournament.
Hey Henrik, who was that former pupil? FYI I lived in Dee Why for 10 years. FM Max Illingworth has also lived there for (I think) all his life.

Most Dee Why chessplayers who took the game seriously used to play at Manly CC and/or norths, and nowadays Harbord Diggers CC and/ or norths.

Adamski
10-11-2011, 10:08 PM
And yes I also recall Lloyd visiting the Aust Open at Manly (Brookvale, really, as RW correctly said) in 2009.

machomortensen
11-11-2011, 03:12 AM
She is called Elisa Zahle Abel and she has never been an organised chessplayer neither in Denmark nor in Australia. I had her in the school in her first seven years. She played some times schoolchess, but no matches because she was the only really strong girl and she never liked to be the only girl at the team.

She worked more than a year in Manly and she lived at that time in Dee Why. Now - as far as I know - she lives and works in Brazil.

One of days she had a day off and visited the tournament in Brookvale. She spent some time watching Mark Chapman and Alex Wohl analysing their game. And - hehe - Fred Schutz asked her to come again. I did it too, mainly because I played my best game that day.

Adamski
11-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the info, Henrik. I hope she still plays chess.

Denis_Jessop
11-11-2011, 12:30 PM
What a fascinating exchange of messages - it's things like this that make this forum a pleasure. :)

DJ

machomortensen
11-11-2011, 03:17 PM
@ Adamski

From her most recent facebook-updates I "fear" it's much more capoeira than chess...

antichrist
20-11-2011, 02:44 PM
The grand old man of Australian Chess, former NSW State Champion

Lloyd Fell celebrates his 90th birthday today.

Happy Birthday Lloyd!

Note: Capablanca was also born on the 19 November exactly 30 years before Lloyd.

And if I could have posted yesterday LLoyd I would not have missed your birthday, you used to boast that your doctor said you would live to a hundred if you lost a few kilos?

antichrist
01-12-2011, 10:15 PM
looking at KB & Yappys game reminds me of watching top board end games under guillotine with Lloyd and him whispering how hopeless so and so is at endgame and how it should be played

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
02-12-2011, 01:50 AM
looking at KB & Yappys game reminds me of watching top board end games under guillotine with Lloyd and him whispering how hopeless so and so is at endgame and how it should be played

so and so might still have a surprise or two left. :hmm:

(im taking you mean me)

nice signature by the way.

antichrist
04-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Lloyd, there is a replay, do you have sufficient room to turn?