PDA

View Full Version : Frankston Chess Club open day & Simul at Frankston Library 16/11/08

Bereaved
16-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Hello everyone,

Well it seems I am giving a simul tomorrow for Frankston Chess Club at the Frankston Library between 12 noon-4 pm. If anyone wants to come down to watch me, or play me, please do come down. There will also be information about the club and it's meeting times available.

This is the set of rules I intend to employ; which I found on an internet site and have adapted slightly to suit my purposes; was interested in what others think?

Here are the general rules of the simultaneous match:
Malcolm plays the White pieces on each board.
Players will not touch any piece until Malcolm arrives at his or her board, then the player will move (within 5 seconds) while Malcolm is observing. Malcolm will then make his move and go to the next board.
Players must abide by "touch move" rule (if a piece is touched, it must make a legal move). When capturing, touch your piece first; when castling, touch your King first. Malcolm's move is not final until he touches a piece on the next board.
Each player is allowed three "passes" when Malcolm arrives at his or her board.
Players may not receive assistance from other players or bystanders during their games.
Players are strongly encouraged to record their games and game scores. Scoresheets will be available on request. Malcolm will send you a report on your game, should you provide a copy, that is complete and legible, and a postal address.
If Malcolm has any other rules, he will announce them at the start of the exhibition.
No new game will commence after 2.30 pm.
Players are advised that all the standard rules of the library are in full operation during the course of the demonstration.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Capablanca-Fan
16-11-2008, 01:03 AM
This is the set of rules I intend to employ; which I found on an internet site and have adapted slightly to suit my purposes; was interested in what others think?
Seem pretty fair to me. The three passes rule should give players leeway without holding everyone up, and also avoid bad feelings about being rushed when there are only a few players left.

queenant89
16-11-2008, 01:04 AM
they sound quiet fair and reasonable...

but one thign comes to mind...... any rule against mobile phones???

like if Malcolms phone rings... he loses all current games due to rule.....
jk :P

MichaelBaron
16-11-2008, 04:59 PM
they sound quiet fair and reasonable...

but one thign comes to mind...... any rule against mobile phones???

like if Malcolms phone rings... he loses all current games due to rule.....
jk :P

any prizes for those who beat Malcolm in the simul? For a small fee i am happy to be the one to call his mob ;)

Bereaved
16-11-2008, 10:14 PM
Well, the event was really good fun, I played about 15 boards at once at any one time; this was unlike conventional simuls where after a game was finished it was over, today they were replaced. So at some times there were 15 early then about 10 for an hour more, then about 6 and then finally about 4.

And these players played multiple games each generally so I guess I played 100 games for the day, though the total is likely to be more, for a score of ( based on 100 games) -2,=2,+96...though towards the end of the day I was quite knackered, and lost my last two games in the last hour of play, to Rhys Hopkins, my student, so not all bad !! lol, And to FM James Morris, who gave me a much needed break and took over the simul for me for a half an hour ( he did not lose any in this time ). There was one surreal point where we were following each other down the row playing moves at the same time.

The club thought it a great success, and the library were pleased with the day, so we may repeat it sometime

oh and for Michael, the prizes were a full year and a half year membership respectively, for beating and drawing with me. So technically James Morris is now a member of Frankston Chess Club for the next calendar year.

My two draws were against the same person, so I guess that is another entitlement to a full year. Ferid Kondzic ( 1764) was that player.

Will post some pictures in the next day or two.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

ER
17-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Very good effort Malcolm and congratulations!
A few questions:
Can you be more specific about mental pressure? At which point did you start feeling the pressure as in lack of concentration etc!
What about physical tiredness, I have observed players like Karpov (in his youth) and Tahl holding their backs after one hour of so, and resting on tables as they went from board to board making their moves. Did you feel that?
Tell us a few things about your opponents. Did they observe the rules?
Tony Miles once said that one of the worse things that could happen in a simul, which actually affects the sole player's concentration, is the sitting player's tendency to make moves at the point when the sole player thinking that his opponent passes moves to the next board and then having to return to the previous player.
He wanted to point out that the breaking of one's rhythm is a considerably negative factor.
You said you are willing to do it again. Which particular things would you change next time?
Now to chess. Did you use similar opening moves or you tried to vary?
Cheers and good luck!

Miranda
17-11-2008, 07:36 AM
JaK! You talk like a journalist!

Anyway, wasn't it really tiring going from board to board?

MichaelBaron
17-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Anyway, wasn't it really tiring going from board to board?

This is actually a very good form of exercise. Giving a 20 board simul is equivalent of a good power-walk :)

Capablanca-Fan
17-11-2008, 10:58 AM
This is actually a very good form of exercise. Giving a 20 board simul is equivalent of a good power-walk :)
But bending the back and neck is a strain after a while.

Desmond
17-11-2008, 03:00 PM
And to FM James Morris, who gave me a much needed break and took over the simul for me for a half an hour ( he did not lose any in this time ). There was one surreal point where we were following each other down the row playing moves at the same time. I reckon it might be interesting from the master's point of view to have more than one person giving a simul and making alternating moves on the same boards as they followed each other around. Would be an interesting insight into the other master's play.

Capablanca-Fan
17-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I reckon it might be interesting from the master's point of view to have more than one person giving a simul and making alternating moves on the same boards as they followed each other around. Would be an interesting insight into the other master's play.
Tandem simuls are hard though, because you can't always count on your partner to follow your plans or play openings you're comfortable with.

Desmond
17-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Tandem simuls are hard though, because you can't always count on your partner to follow your plans or play openings you're comfortable with.Fair enough. Would be funny if you lapped the other guy though.