PDA

View Full Version : Getting 50+ Players involved in tournaments

Charles
03-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi all,

We had a successful Doeberl Cup at the Junior end last year. However our 50+ tournament did not go ahead due to small numbers. For this year we have matched the 50+ entry fee to the same as the juniors to provide an option for people seeking a concessional rate. I understand that some older players will always seek the maximum competition and enter their rating level general tournament. However what will it take to get the other 50+ players into the tournament?

What appeals to you in a tournament?

Looking for ideas and solutions.

sleepless
23-10-2008, 10:35 PM
I liked last year's Doeberl event because although big it was friendly, well organised and held in comfortable surroundings.

Attending incurs costs of travel and accommodation, and the small Seniors entry discount is neither here nor there. I won't enter the Seniors because it isn't FIDE rated and because I don't want to get messed around if it is cancelled.

Denis_Jessop
03-11-2008, 04:33 PM
This thread has drawn very little response.

That is one indication of the attitudes to seniors' chess in Australia. It hasn't yet taken off as a concept. For example, it is nothing like veterans or Masters sporting events where the opposite is the case. In those, entrants can be graded or handicapped according to ability but that is not an idea that chess has recently adopted though games at odds were common in the 19th century. Often they are alternatively graded in age groups of, say, 5 years. As far as I know, chess has never adopted that solution except for juniors.

Even the Australian Seniors' Championship draws a very modest entry both in size and strength.

Anyone wanting to organise a seniors' event has to take account of that as the base proposition.

Then there is the age limit.

The FIDE ages for seniors are 60 and over for men and 50 and over for women (though why women should be seen as deteriorating faster both physically and intellectually than men is a mystery - perhaps there is some other reason for the differentiation).

The organisers are caught in a dilemma, If they use the FIDE limits they will probably get a very small entry. If they use a lower age - the Doeberl cup solution - they will also probably get a very small entry because the "FIDE" seniors will not appreciate having much younger players in the field and the younger players will probably prefer to play in the Premier, Major etc. if they are any good.

It has been suggested that the seniors' event would be attractive because thereby the entrants avoid playing young juniors. But, if that is true; and I doubt it, it will apply primarily to the lower rated players.

The history of the seniors event in the Doeberl Cup is not encouraging. I refer not to this year's event but to those held a few years ago in which the participant rate fell each successive year (though there were not many years involved).

These comments are not intended to be negative but to be a statement of the actual position. As things now stand, I do not see any ready solution to the problem.

DJ

Adamski
03-11-2008, 04:38 PM
If it fits with my leave/ Easter plans, I could be tempted to play in the Doeberl 50+ event some time. I am 51.

Can't disagree with Denis' comments. If I did play a Seniors tournament I would not expect a big field.

Charles
03-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I liked last year's Doeberl event because although big it was friendly, well organised and held in comfortable surroundings.

Attending incurs costs of travel and accommodation, and the small Seniors entry discount is neither here nor there. I won't enter the Seniors because it isn't FIDE rated and because I don't want to get messed around if it is cancelled.

Thanks for the feedback. We think it is important to try - I guess in a kind of 'build it and they will come' concept. I suspect that it is partly a matter of marketing and we are going to focus on getting the message out to this demographic to maybe try to get players who are 'temporarily' retired. Our vision is the Doeberl can be a tournament for all types of players and the seniors is the last corner stone in that. Financially reducing the rate will really only affect Canberra players but if it swings one or two we will go closer to meeting our initial target of 14 players.

Denis_Jessop
04-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Fourteen players is a very modest target and should be achievable. It is about the number that competed when the event was first held at the DC some years ago. But a 14-player 7 round Swiss is not an attractive prospect.

DJ

Charles
04-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Fourteen players is a very modest target and should be achievable. It is about the number that competed when the event was first held at the DC some years ago. But a 14-player 7 round Swiss is not an attractive prospect.

DJ

Denis,

Your point is noted. The 14 is a minimum to give confidence to players that they understand the base conditions the tournament will go ahead under. We obviously hope for a larger number than that.