PDA

View Full Version : AusJCL - Australian Junior Chess League

Denis_Jessop
25-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Those of you who don't receive the ACF Newsletter may be interested in the following taken from Issue No. 432 that came out today

AUSTRALIAN JUNIOR CHESS LEAGUE

from Denis Jessop, ACF/AusJCL Liaison Officer

A NEW ERA FOR AUSTRALIAN JUNIOR CHESS

Readers may be aware that recently an Australian junior chess league called AusJCL was formed. It is the culmination of an initiative by Jenni Oliver begun some while ago. The aim is for it to administer junior chess at the national level by performing most of the junior chess functions currently with the ACF.

A short time ago the AusJCL applied to the ACF for recognition as an Associated Body representing junior chess at the national level and for authority to administer junior chess on behalf of the ACF.

On 17 September 2008 the ACF Council decided, in an e-mail vote, to approve both those things with effect from 1 November 2008. At the same time it appointed Denis Jessop as the ACF Liaison Officer with the AusJCL. The new arrangements will not affect decisions already taken by the ACF so that they have no application to the upcoming Australian Schools Teams Championships finals and the Australian Junior Championships both to be held in Adelaide under the auspices of the SACA and the SAJCL.

I moved the motions in the Council and they were seconded by Richard Gastineau-Hills. Each of us has been a strong supporter of the AusJCL concept. In moving the motions I pointed out that this development is the most significant made for the administration of chess in Australia at the national level since the formation of the Australian Chess Federation in 1922. Except for some organisational changes, the ACF is still structured much as it was when first formed.

The basis of the junior chess league concept, which has already been successful in some States and Territories, is that junior chess administration has some aspects that differ markedly from open chess. Moreover, junior chess leagues attract many administrators who would not otherwise be involved. I see it as an undoubted benefit for Australian chess generally for there to be a successful Australian junior chess league. It will benefit junior chess by the presence of experts in that field. It will benefit the ACF as its officers will be able to devote more time to administration of chess generally.

The current arrangements are seen as transitional in that the AusJCL has not yet begun its formal operations and it needs time to settle into things. Also there are some details of procedure to be worked out between the ACF and the AusJCL. I expect these to be addressed in the coming months.

Meanwhile I look forward to the success of the new development with confidence.

AUSTRALIAN JUNIOR CHESS LEAGUE

from Jenni Oliver, AusJCL Events coordinator

The interim AusJCL council is extremely gratified that the ACF has recognized the benefit to Australian Junior chess that a National Junior organization will bring.

The interim council consists of:
President IA Charles Zworestine
Vice-President GM Ian Rogers
Treasurer Tania Simmonds
Secretary Tracy Gray
Junior Development Co-ordinator Kerry Lyall
Events Co-ordinator Jenni Oliver
Selections Administrator Shannon Oliver
General Council positions WGM Daniela Nutu-Gajic
Celine Derwent

Initially the work of the council will be to create better rules and procedures and information for tasks such as the overseas junior events and Ergas. Work is almost completed on the first task, which is the overseas junior events and a document will be available for public comment. In future before juniors apply for selection for overseas events they will have much better information as to how these run and what is expected of them and of parents.

The next big task that is planned is a reassessment of the Australian Juniors. A survey will shortly be released to gather information and if a new model is necessary it is hoped to be in place for Aus Juniors 2011.

The first AGM will be held in Adelaide in January 2009 at the Aus Juniors and the council will be elected for the next year.

This is an exciting concept and will need the ideas and support of all of those with an interest in Junior chess.

It is not meant to supplant the valuable work being done by State organizations, but to bring order and cohesion to what is happening at the national level with the long term aim of growing participation at the grass roots level as well as increasing the number of elite players. It will also work to improve the migration paths from junior to adult chess.

DJ

Brian_Jones
25-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Any contact details for the Councillors?

Miranda
25-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a good idea... just hope it doesn't fade out after a year or two

Denis_Jessop
27-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Any contact details for the Councillors?

I'd suggest contacting Charles Zworestine or Jenni Oliver to find out who they want to list as contacts. I don't have that information.

DJ

MichaelBaron
30-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Sounds like a good idea... just hope it doesn't fade out after a year or two

No comment....:rolleyes:

Denis_Jessop
30-09-2008, 03:23 PM
No comment....:rolleyes:

Well I shall. With the current people involved there is no chance of that. We even have a responsible Victorian on the Council ;)

DJ

Alana
21-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Anyone know when we are going to here results from these guys about selections for international tournaments?

klyall
21-05-2009, 09:08 PM
I received an email from Shannon Oliver today.

Perhaps check your emails.

ER
21-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Not for publication yet Klyall?

Alana
21-05-2009, 09:39 PM
just did. thanks kerry!

Garvinator
29-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Who are the current committee members?

Oepty
29-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Who are the current committee members?

As far as I remember from the AGM in January they were, Charles Zworestine (President), Jenni Oliver (Tournament Officer), Ian Rogers (Vice President), Lietiesha Simmonds mother(Tania I think), Callum Gray's mother (Tracey I think), Shannon Oliver (Junior Selections Coordinator), Daniela Nutu-Gajic, Russel Horton and perhaps I have missed someone. Of those I think Jenni and Shannon Oliver resigned earlier in the year, but Shannon has seemed to be involved in selections since then so I am not really sure what is happening or whether they have been replaced.
Anyone know any better than my possibly faulty 8 month old memory?
Scott

Kevin Bonham
29-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I heard indirectly Shannon had intended to step down but remained involved in selections for longer than expected because the Commonwealth Champs was deferred and moved, so a re-selection for the junior section of that event needed to be conducted.

aransandraseg
29-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I reckon there should be more Australian junior chess league competitions, not just Australian jun. champs.
Perhaps there could be an AusJcl Rating system and magazine.
Perhaps merge it with the current NSW ones.

NSW IS THE BEST> :D

Denis_Jessop
29-08-2009, 09:36 PM
As far as I remember from the AGM in January they were, Charles Zworestine (President), Jenni Oliver (Tournament Officer), Ian Rogers (Vice President), Lietiesha Simmonds mother(Tania I think), Callum Gray's mother (Tracey I think), Shannon Oliver (Junior Selections Coordinator), Daniela Nutu-Gajic, Russel Horton and perhaps I have missed someone. Of those I think Jenni and Shannon Oliver resigned earlier in the year, but Shannon has seemed to be involved in selections since then so I am not really sure what is happening or whether they have been replaced.
Anyone know any better than my possibly faulty 8 month old memory?
Scott

I'm pretty sure that the elected officers were the same as the interim ones listed in my post #1 on this thread. Since then, Shannon Oliver indicated that she would step down after the conclusion of this year's junior selections but these became protracted (one of the smaller ones had to be re-done) and I do not know if she has yet formally resigned. Jenni Oliver resigned some months ago and has yet to be replaced as far as I know. She has withdrawn from all chess activities for the present. Jenni also was writing the AusJCL Newsletter hence the shortage of news recently.

DJ

Oepty
29-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that the elected officers were the same as the interim ones listed in my post #1 on this thread. Since then, Shannon Oliver indicated that she would step down after the conclusion of this year's junior selections but these became protracted (one of the smaller ones had to be re-done) and I do not know if she has yet formally resigned. Jenni Oliver resigned some months ago and has yet to be replaced as far as I know. She has withdrawn from all chess activities for the present. Jenni also was writing the AusJCL Newsletter hence the shortage of news recently.

DJ

Yes they would be except I am fairly sure Russell Horton was elected to a General Committee position, along with Daniela Nutu-Gajic. Not sure if Celine Derwent was elected to anything. My memory might be faulty though sorry. Thanks Denis.
Scott

Mischa
29-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Just interested in the selection process....were they voted for or just selected cos they were

Bill Gletsos
29-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Just interested in the selection process....were they voted for or just selected cos they wereThey were elected at the AGM held at the Australian Juniors in SA last January.

Jim_Flood
29-10-2009, 07:25 PM
And then

It

Just

Fades

Away

Mischa
29-10-2009, 07:46 PM
They were elected at the AGM held at the Australian Juniors in SA last January.
elected???
by???
selected for election?
Sorry I am probably being dumb, but how did they get selected for election?

Bill Gletsos
29-10-2009, 08:37 PM
elected???Yes

by???By the state delegates.

selected for election?No nominated.

Sorry I am probably being dumb, but how did they get selected for election?Yes, you really need to pay at least a minimal amount of attention.
The AusJCL and its structure was discussed at length ages ago.

Carl Gorka
29-10-2009, 08:53 PM
By the state delegates.

My memory might be fading, but I seem to remember the election being held at an open AGM, with a number of people present.

A show of hands in the room seemed to be all that was needed. There may have been some state delegates present, but there were some others there voting including parents and coaches.

Saying that, no position seemed to be contested and everyone seemed quite happy with the choices made:)

Mischa
29-10-2009, 08:58 PM
thanks Carl
I was wondering about the state delegates thingy
Out of curiousity (and with total ignorance) where was the AGM held?

Mischa
29-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Were there pre selection nominatons?

Carl Gorka
29-10-2009, 09:05 PM
thanks Carl
I was wondering about the state delegates thingy
Out of curiousity (and with total ignorance) where was the AGM held?

Australian Junior Championship venue in Adelaide, while the kids were playing so more people could be involved in the discussions.

To be honest, it was as much a Q+A to find out what parents, coaches and organisers want as it was an official AGM. It sounded really good on paper, positive,inclusive etc.

I suppose the difficulty is always going to be geographic when organising things in Australia that will truly represent the whole country. Finding hard working volunteers across the country who aren't already doing loads for chess is another problem. The loss of Jenni was a blow as she was a big driving force, but the AusJCL seems to have bounced back a bit. We'll see how the Schools and Aus Junior go and then I suppose the important thing to do is look ahead:)

Bill Gletsos
29-10-2009, 09:16 PM
My memory might be fading, but I seem to remember the election being held at an open AGM, with a number of people present.Their AGM was held on the 11th January 2009 during the Australian Junior in Adelaide.

A show of hands in the room seemed to be all that was needed. There may have been some state delegates present, but there were some others there voting including parents and coaches.Under the AusJCL Constitution parents and coaches have no voting rights. TheAusJCL constitution only allows for the state delegates and members of the AusJCL Council to have voting rights at AusJCL General meetings.

Carl Gorka
29-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Their AGM was held on the 11th January 2009 during the Australian Junior in Adelaide.

Although the exact date slipped my memory (thanks Bill) I was present at the meeting...

Under the AusJCL Constitution parents and coaches have no voting rights. Their constitution only allows for the state delegates to vote for the election of the AusJCL Council members. On other matters both the state delegates and members of the AusJCL Council have the right to vote at AusJCL General meetings.

....and put my hand up to vote along with other people in the room:hmm: