SUNDAY 12TH OCTOBER 2008

VENUE: INU Bar, Level 2 Union House, Melbourne University
From Melbourne CBD take any tram University Melbourne from Swanston street
7 rounds swiss system (no knockouts)

Rate of Play: 15 minutes + 10seconds each move

TIME: 12:00pm for 12:30pm start. Approx finish 5:30pm

Entry fee: $15.00 per person, and payable on the day

CONDITIONS:
Open to all current university students including both undergraduate and post graduate and university staff.
Play for your university under one banner and no need for any university chess club memberships.

Over $200 of cash and prizes to be awarded.

STRICTLY OVER 18
ID’s will be checked upon arrival.

Happy Hour Bar Prices all day.

Enquires: Sarah Anton, Melbourne University Chess Club
Email:antsam56@hotmail.com
Mobile: 0423927990

Carl Gorka
24-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Sounds like an excuse for a major drinking session:lol:

Good luck with it:)

Metro
24-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Sarah,I was just wondering about MU Chess Club.I didn't know it existed.How many members?

queenant89
24-09-2008, 01:12 AM
Sarah,I was just wondering about MU Chess Club.I didn't know it existed.How many members?

well over 120 i think plus the non members.

MichaelBaron
24-09-2008, 01:23 AM
I will probably play in it :)

EBT
24-09-2008, 09:56 PM
CONDITIONS:
Open to all current university students including both undergraduate and post graduate and university staff.

Alumni not welcome? :hmm:

MichaelBaron
25-09-2008, 12:21 AM
I am still thinking what University i should be playing for :)

WhiteElephant
25-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Alumni not welcome? :hmm:

If alumni were allowed, I would definitely play.

Also curious how the winning university will be determined - is it a Swiss with top scorers from each uni counting towards that uni's overall score?

queenant89
09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Just a reminder that THE VICTORIAN INTERVARSITY CHESS CHAMPIONSHIPS will be held this Sunday at INU BAR, Lv 1 Union House, Melbourne University, Parkville

Already 20 confirmed entries from 5 universities.

queenant89
09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Yeah it is a swiss tournament... top 5-10 scores counted depending on entries on the day

MichaelBaron
09-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Please count me as confirmed :)

MichaelBaron
13-10-2008, 12:31 AM
The tournament was simply great! Big thx to Sarah for running it!:clap:

queenant89
13-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Just some reports on the event that occured Yesterday!!

We had 16 players in the end, after a large number of the entered field didnt show, including teams from 2 universities.

After 7 close rounds of play, and exciting upsets!! Im pleased to announce

Melbourne University as 2008 Victorian Intervarsity Champions with a score of 20
Monash University Reserve Champions with score 19.5

Individual winners include:
1st Michael Baron 5.5
2-3 Jesse Jager, Budi Maku

ER
14-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Congrats Sarah!
It seems that we have the rebirth of a great tradition, here. I was told that Uni Chess was once a big thing in Australia.
I do not know how true this is but your efforts are commendable and obviously very fruitful. Keep up the good work!
Cheers and good luck!

WhiteElephant
14-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Yes, great work for getting this event happening, Sarah.

In the old days when Winter Interclub was huge there were quite a few University teams represented.... maybe that can happen again. One of my best ever results in a tournament was playing for Monash in a team with Tuan Le, Ken Holt & Adrian Turner....

ER
15-10-2008, 01:12 AM
That's great info WE and thanks!
While at Melbourne Uni, I met two gentlemen who were students there during the '40s. They actually mentioned that there was a lake at the place where the sports ground is now! Coming back to Chess, they said that there was a great interest in chess amongst University circles as far back as the '20s and '30s when some great competitions took place!
Cheers and good luck!

ER
15-10-2008, 01:15 AM
Coming back to Sarah's excellent work, I believe she and her committee (unless she does everything by herself which is not impossible) will give us some more details about the event!
Cheers and good luck!

eclectic
15-10-2008, 01:19 AM
:hmm: methinks chess playing university alumni should stage a coup d'état and seize effective control of this event! :evil:

Denis_Jessop
15-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Yes, great work for getting this event happening, Sarah.

In the old days when Winter Interclub was huge there were quite a few University teams represented.... maybe that can happen again. One of my best ever results in a tournament was playing for Monash in a team with Tuan Le, Ken Holt & Adrian Turner....

That's right. I played interclub for Melbourne Uni from the mid 1950s to about 1961. Then I went to St Kilda CC and I remember Monash having teams in the interclub too. MUCC had teams in several grades if I remember rightly.

DJ

WhiteElephant
15-10-2008, 07:55 PM
That's right. I played interclub for Melbourne Uni from the mid 1950s to about 1961. Then I went to St Kilda CC and I remember Monash having teams in the interclub too. MUCC had teams in several grades if I remember rightly.

DJ

When I just started playing chess, Monash had an A Grade team of Matthew Drummond, Bruce Burns(?), David Potter and some other very strong player. I used to really look up to those guys as a kid at Waverley CC.

ER
15-10-2008, 08:07 PM
:hmm: methinks chess playing university alumni should stage a coup d'état and seize effective control of this event! :evil:

psssssst Eclecticus
Don't tell anyone, I know Uni of Melbourne inside out! I can even locate toilets in the Babel building and unused computers in the Union building!
Tell me when D day is decided ok?

MichaelBaron
16-10-2008, 12:14 AM
psssssst Eclecticus
Don't tell anyone, I know Uni of Melbourne inside out! I can even locate toilets in the Babel building and unused computers in the Union building!
Tell me when D day is decided ok?

How about unused toilets in Union Building and locating computers in Bable Building ;)

On a serious note, back in my times at melbourne university, i can not recall any computers in the Union building (or may be i was not looking properly)

Denis_Jessop
16-10-2008, 10:34 AM
How about unused toilets in Union Building and locating computers in Bable Building ;)

On a serious note, back in my times at melbourne university, i can not recall any computers in the Union building (or may be i was not looking properly)

Reminiscing still further, when I was at Melbourne Uni (aka "The Shop") the chess club had its own room upstairs in the Union Building with specially made chess tables and was open all hours for casual or other games. Total active membership was not all that great though, from memory, one didn't actually have to join. I think anyone could play by reason of being a member of the Students Union.

Monash came later - wasn't Robert Jamieson one of the early members as well as a founder of Waverley CC?

DJ

ER
16-10-2008, 10:36 AM

Michael i think you need a re-reorientation day!
Union building 4rth floor

http://union.unimelb.edu.au/info/a-to-z

was in my days and still is the main computer room of the whole bloody UNI!!!
Cheers and good luck! :)

Watto
16-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Like Michael, I was trying to figure out where it was but I remember it now- was a bit poky in the 90s but I kind of liked it being so high up. Probably a bit bigger now.

When I just started playing chess, Monash had an A Grade team of Matthew Drummond, Bruce Burns(?), David Potter and some other very strong player. I used to really look up to those guys as a kid at Waverley CC.
That’s interesting. We saw Matt and Bruce at the Melbourne marathon on Sunday… they’re pretty keen Marathon runners these days.

ER
16-10-2008, 11:08 AM
lol, a very well known politician, ok i will not name names, was cought smoking there and was told off in no uncertain terms by a member of the stuff.
Around that time Michael was some kind of Lord Byron walking around in style followed by an entourage of admirers, but I can't remember ever seeing him at the Chess Club which was based in the Maths Dept.

ER
16-10-2008, 11:13 AM
There was also a usually unused PC in the Mature Students room, in which you could go and use the facilities mainly for relaxing and other activities. It faced North!
There were also goodies in the fridge!

WhiteElephant
16-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Yes, I discovered it one day when I went exploring up the stairs! Packed to the rafters it was too. Compared to Monash where the computer rooms were usually empty at lunchtimes and the lawns full of people drinking VBs. :owned:

Metro
16-10-2008, 05:12 PM
A chess friend keeps telling me how strong Monash Uni.C.C.was once upon a time.Matthew Drummond,Murray Smith and Ross Thomas come to mind.

ER
16-10-2008, 10:15 PM
well it is the best Uni in Australia, did you expect any lesser? :P

ER
16-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Yes, I discovered it one day when I went exploring up the stairs! Packed to the rafters it was too. Compared to Monash where the computer rooms were usually empty at lunchtimes and the lawns full of people drinking VBs. :owned:

well, were there any computers in the computer rooms? :P ha!

MichaelBaron
16-10-2008, 10:44 PM
well it is the best Uni in Australia, did you expect any lesser? :P

While at uni of Melb i did envy Monash for its great chess club...but i would not swap my degree for a Monash one ;).

Btw, why not have a chess tourney where all the alumni can play - would be great!