PDA

View Full Version : Flagfall vs draw offer?

Saragossa
19-09-2008, 04:54 PM
I was playing a semi-casual game of blitz (3 minutes no increment) and as in many games of blitz we reached a position of mutual time pressure i offered a draw in the middle of the scramble and he paused to think about it. and while he had paused his flag fell i paused the clock and claimed a win by flagfall but almost immediately after me pausing the clock he agreed to a draw. what is the outcome a draw or a win for me?

Rincewind
19-09-2008, 05:14 PM
My reading of the rules is you win on time provided that from the final position there is a possible sequence of legal moves which could lead to checkmate. (Otherwise it is a draw on time).

According to 9.1 the draw is on the table until the opponent moves or the game finishes in some other way. I would say a valid claim of win on time is such a means to complete the game and therefore it is too late for your opponent to accept your offer of a draw.

Capablanca-Fan
19-09-2008, 05:19 PM
I was playing a semi-casual game of blitz (3 minutes no increment) and as in many games of blitz we reached a position of mutual time pressure i offered a draw in the middle of the scramble and he paused to think about it. and while he had paused his flag fell i paused the clock and claimed a win by flagfall but almost immediately after me pausing the clock he agreed to a draw. what is the outcome a draw or a win for me?

Let's check the FIDE Laws of Chess (http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=124&view=article):

Article 6.9: A flag is considered to have fallen when the arbiter observes the fact or when either player has made a valid claim to that effect.

Since you claimed before he accepted the draw, you are the winner (with Rincewind's proviso that you had mating potential as per 6.10).

However:

9.1 a A player wishing to offer a draw shall do so after having made a move on the chessboard and before stopping his clock and starting the opponent’s clock. An offer at any other time during play is still valid, but Article 12.6 must be considered.

12.6 It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever. This includes unreasonable claims or unreasonable offers of a draw.

I.e. if (and I'm not accusing you) you offered a draw after you started his clock, just before the flag dropped, then he would have a case for claiming that you distracted him. In this case, he might be awarded two extra minutes.

Kevin Bonham
19-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Jono and Rincewind are correct - it is a win on time provided you still have mating material.