PDA

View Full Version : Dress Codes

Basil
12-08-2008, 09:40 PM
The Closet Grandmaster has reported this (http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/2008/08/dress-code-for-chessers.html)

Great idea for so many reasons that I don't have the energy to post ATM. Perhaps others will for me! :lol:

I should a shoulda shoulda shoulda gunner gunner gunner post in the footwear thread(s) for some months now, but every time I turn my mind to the job, I envisage plankdom intelligentsia at its highest level. Consider this a (weak) back-end run pro tem.

eclectic
12-08-2008, 10:17 PM
i like the idea actually

Denis_Jessop
12-08-2008, 10:18 PM
The Closet Grandmaster has reported this (http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/2008/08/dress-code-for-chessers.html)

Great idea for so many reasons that I don't have the energy to post ATM. Perhaps others will for me! :lol:

I should a shoulda shoulda shoulda gunner gunner gunner post in the footwear thread(s) for some months now, but every time I turn my mind to the job, I envisage plankdom intelligentsia at its highest level. Consider this a (weak) back-end run pro tem.

It all looks a bit odd. FIDE already has a small piece on the subject in its FIDE Tournament Rules which, incidentally, are supposed to apply to any FIDE-rated event:

14. The conduct of the players

(a) Once a player has formally accepted an invitation, he must play except in cases of force majeure, such as illness or incapacity. Acceptance of another invitation is not considered to be a valid reason for withdrawal.

(b) In his reply a player may, if he wishes, mention pre-existing medical conditions such as diabetes and special dietary requirements.

(c) All the participants should be dressed in a suitable manner.

(d) A player who does not wish to continue a game and leaves without resigning or notifying the arbiter is discourteous. He may be penalised, at the discretion of the CA, for poor sportsmanship.

(e) A player may speak only as permitted in the Laws of Chess and Tournament Regulations.

(f) All complaints concerning the behaviour of players or captains must be made to the arbiter. A player is not permitted to complain directly to his opponent.

DJ

Basil
12-08-2008, 10:24 PM
i like the idea actually
A well-known and visionary ex CAQ pres introduced an annual teams event with the mandate of team colours for all players. The idea was very well received. The event was possibly the highest attended teams event in the country to that date and the highest attended event in Queensland for that year. I forget the fellow's name. Nice bloke. Had a clue, too.

eclectic
12-08-2008, 10:25 PM
rule 14c does not imply that players must be dressed in team uniforms only that they be suitably attired according to acceptable community standards

has the australian chess olympiad team ever had a uniform designed for them?

Denis_Jessop
13-08-2008, 08:02 PM
rule 14c does not imply that players must be dressed in team uniforms only that they be suitably attired according to acceptable community standards

has the australian chess olympiad team ever had a uniform designed for them?

I wasn't saying that rule 14c had that effect. I don't know if the Olympiad team has ever had a uniform or if Olympiad teams of other countries have them but the Australian World Youth Championships teams have had specially made team jackets for some years.

DJ

Axiom
13-08-2008, 08:12 PM
perhaps a specially designed purpose made chess outfit should be produced !

it has to be comfortable , warm in winter , cool in summer .
it must be flexible for those long range moves , and allowing for the gymnastics of a time scramble.
it must also be aerodynamically contoured for fast finishes.

i present to you the "Chess Suit "
"guaranteed to improve performance by 25+ rating points over the course of the average tournament"

http://search.netscape.com/search/redir?src=image&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.entertainmentstore .com.au%2Fmedia%2Fclient%2FRockItMed2.jpg&moduleId=image_details.jsp.M&clickedItemDescription=Image%20Details

Garvinator
13-08-2008, 11:03 PM
How about we just use the speedo swimming suit? It has been smashing world records this year.

Metro
14-08-2008, 01:05 AM
In a special tournament such as the Australian Championship,I am all for a dress code.Something along the lines of no thongs,singlets and t-shirts.I recall talking to Marcus Raine at the 1991-92 Australian Championship about this.He said many chess players would oppose a dress code.

Garvinator
14-08-2008, 01:27 AM
I recall talking to Marcus Raine at the 1991-92 Australian Championship about this.He said many chess players would oppose a dress code.
I think the easiest way to enforce a dress code is for organisers to choose venues where there is already a dress code in existence.

MichaelBaron
14-08-2008, 02:39 AM
Dress code at chess tournaments? Mission impossible :). It is not a realistic expectation. Personally, give me $10,ooo to play for - and i will put on my best suit and tie. Or yes, and please make sure that the venue is clean and tidy and "5 star"! i am not going to wear business attire only to sit on some dirty chair. Last time i was taking part in a chess tournament..there were people sleeping on the "club sofa" next to the playing room....

Let's start by introducing small things.... How about we start by banning chess players who do not start their day by taking a shower? I am sick and tired of having to play against people who stink! Also there are several people who do not have a habbit of washing their hands on regular basis. Why am i obliged to give them a handshake? I think once chess-players will generally become "cleaner" - then we can start talking about a dress code. Otherwise..i can imagine a certain top chess player (please do not PM me - there is no way i am going to reveal name of the person i am having in mind) stinking and dirty..yet wearing designer cloths..just to comply with the dress code :).

Miranda
24-09-2008, 10:01 PM
I think it's a good idea to have dress codes - not suit and tie, but not thongs and a singlet either.