PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open 2009 at Manly Leagues Club

Pages : [1] 2

Adamski
09-08-2008, 05:38 PM
PRESS RELEASE

Australia's top chess event comes to Northern Beaches

Australia's premier chess tournament will be staged on the Northern Beaches for the first time next year.

Manly Chess Club president, Mr Chris Dimock, announced today that the venue for the 2009 Australian Open Championship, from January 2-11, will be the Manly-Warringah Rugby Leagues Club.

Mr Dimock said: "The Leagues Club has very generously made its spacious main auditorium available for the 11-round event, which we hope will attract a field of up to 150 players. We are aiming for prize money in excess of ten thousand dollars, and are seeking sponsorship from banks and local businesses for this prestigious event.

"Entry will be free for international masters and grandmasters to encourage them to participate. We have booked rooms for players at the Manly-Warringah Travelodge, adjacent to the Leagues Club, and will be approaching other accommodation centres in the Manly-Brookvale area'.

Mr Dimock said he was approached for an expression of interest in hosting the event by The Sydney Morning Herald chess writer Peter Parr on June 11. "We jumped at the chance. Fred Schutz, a Manly Chess Club member, and I put together a bid which we presented in less than two months to the Australian Chess Federation. ACF vice-president Bill Gletsos rang soon afterwards to say it had been accepted."

Mr Dimock said the bid would not have been possible without the continuing support for local chess by the Leagues Club; where the Manly Chess Club meets every Monday night. "Concurrently with the Open, we are also staging the inaugural Manly Classic tournament, which will be open to lower rated players in the area keen to improve."

For further information:

Chris Dimock - tel: (02) 9221-8390, mobile 0412 052 399

Ivanchuk_Fan
09-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I am very much looking forward to this tournament!:D

Have any GMs/IMs expressed their interest in participating?

Adamski
09-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Too early yet - no entry forms ready yet! I will advise as details get known.

Solo
10-08-2008, 11:44 PM
I wish the organisers well for the Open but unfortunately it will be missing many good juniors and also strong players who will be coaching in Adelaide including me. To be fair I am usually about 50-50 to play in the Open anyway. The SIO may have been a good idea for the open title this time.

Vlad
14-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Both me and Anton are planning to play in this event.

Garrett
14-08-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm definitely interested.

Interested to see accomodation options.

Cheers
Garrett.

Bill Gletsos
14-08-2008, 03:23 PM
I have been advised by a member of the organising committee that Nick Chernih has been appointed as the Chief Arbiter.

Oepty
14-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Both me and Anton are planning to play in this event.

Would Anton have played in the Australian Juniors if the Australian Open had not clashed with it?
Scott

Oepty
14-08-2008, 06:47 PM
What steps are the organisers of the event taking to ensure there will be enough females playing in the event to allow the title of Australian Women's Champion to be awarded?
Scott Colliver

eclectic
14-08-2008, 07:11 PM
i would have thought in this enlightened age any girl or women who enters would do so intending to win the australian open title itself

wouldn't you agree, jono? ;)

Oepty
14-08-2008, 07:32 PM
i would have thought in this enlightened age any girl or women who enters would do so intending to win the australian open title itself

wouldn't you agree, jono? ;)

I think most of the participants who will enter this tournament won't really expect to win, although they will enjoy the challenge of playing. Sadly there is currently no active Australian women players who have more than an extremely slim chance of winning a moderately strong Australian Open, not a good thing.
Whether you agree with a seperate title is one thing (and discussion of this does not really belong in this thread), but the title exists and is supposed to be awarded to first Australian women in the Australian Open. I am hoping the organisers will take on the responsibility of making sure the conditions for this to happen are meet, hence my question.
Scott

eclectic
14-08-2008, 07:43 PM
if sufficient numbers of women do enter the open to make the women's title realistic then are any points women win against men in the australian open disregarded when deciding who wins the australian women's championship?

i think there is already a thread about the future of the australian women's chess championship title elsewhere

perhaps a split from here and a graft onto there is in order

Adamski
14-08-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm definitely interested.

Interested to see accomodation options.

Cheers
Garrett.Hi Garrett,
Latest on accomm is still as per press statement: "We have booked rooms for players at the Manly-Warringah Travelodge, adjacent to the Leagues Club, and will be approaching other accommodation centres in the Manly-Brookvale area". Will advise when I hear updates.

Vlad
14-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Would Anton have played in the Australian Juniors if the Australian Open had not clashed with it?
Scott

Hard to say... At this stage the Australian Open (AO) looks much more attractive. Firstly, AO is free and we will probably have to pay for the juniors in Adelaide a similar amount to the amount we paid for the World Youth coming in Vietnam in October. The World Youth is obviously a big challenge and worth all the money spent, while with the Juniors Anton already got the under 8 title when he was 5; other kids also want to get this title. You can say that he can play with older kids but then why not adults; as I said it will cost us nothing.

Oepty
15-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Hard to say... At this stage the Australian Open (AO) looks much more attractive. Firstly, AO is free and we will probably have to pay for the juniors in Adelaide a similar amount to the amount we paid for the World Youth coming in Vietnam in October. The World Youth is obviously a big challenge and worth all the money spent, while with the Juniors Anton already got the under 8 title when he was 5; other kids also want to get this title. You can say that he can play with older kids but then why not adults; as I said it will cost us nothing.

Okay thanks, it would have been good to have Anton play in Adelaide, but your reasons make perfect sense. I am just a bit concerned, as a South Australian, more Sydney juniors, and perhaps others, will decide to play the Open instead of coming to Adelaide. It seems a pity that they have to clash especially since the Australian Open has such a short time to be organised.
Scott Colliver

eclectic
15-08-2008, 02:34 PM
i am surprised myself that the two events are clashing.

if the two events were being held at the same venue as in the juniors in the morning and the open in the afternoon i could understand.

however with the two events at different locations a clash of dates seems most odd.

is this problem perhaps caused by the bidders/organisers of the respective events not talking to each other in advance?

Bill Gletsos
15-08-2008, 02:37 PM
i am surprised myself that the two events are clashing.

if the two events were being held at the same venue as in the juniors in the morning and the open in the afternoon i could understand.

however with the two events at different locations a clash of dates seems most odd.

is this problem perhaps caused by the bidders/organisers of the respective events not talking to each other in advance?The Open is in its traditional period of early January. It is the junior that is running early so as not to clash with Queenstown (Jan 15th -24th) which is running in the Juniors traditional time frame.

Ian Rout
15-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Although it looks like a big issue, in practice the clash of times probably won't have much effect. When the Aust Open was held in Canberra last time (summer of 06/07)

http://www.actjcl.org.au/ausopen2006/

only a handful of juniors, mainly locals, played in both. In addition a number of leading players sat out the Open to concentrate on coaching participants in the Aust Juniors. Players who skip the Juniors to play the Open will most likely do so for geographic convenience and in most cases would have only played the Open anyway.

Oepty
15-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Although it looks like a big issue, in practice the clash of times probably won't have much effect. When the Aust Open was held in Canberra last time (summer of 06/07)

http://www.actjcl.org.au/ausopen2006/

only a handful of juniors, mainly locals, played in both. In addition a number of leading players sat out the Open to concentrate on coaching participants in the Aust Juniors. Players who skip the Juniors to play the Open will most likely do so for geographic convenience and in most cases would have only played the Open anyway.

Ian, I hope you are right.
Scott

Adamski
16-08-2008, 11:59 PM
I advise that the ACF has accepted a bid by Chris Dimock (President Manly-Warringah Rugby League Club Chess Club [MWRLCCC]) and Fred Schuetz (member of MWRLCCC and of norths chess club) for the FIDE-rated Australian Open Chess Championship to be held at Manly-Warringah Rugby League Club, 563 Pittwater Road, Brookvale from Friday 2 January to Sunday 11 January 2009 as per the Playing Schedule below.

In addition to the main event, there will be a separate Under 1600 Tournament (provisionally to be called the Manly Classic Event) and the Australian Lightning Tournament to be held on Tuesday 6 January 2009. Because of time constraints there will no separate Australian Rapid Tournament.

Nick Chernih has accepted the position of Chief Arbiter for this event.

Please note that Martin Van Elmpt has created the following homepage for this event with the press release as a starting point:

http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/AustralianOpen2009.htm

A link is also being established on the Website of the Manly-Warringah Rugby League Club Chess Club which can be assessed on

http://www.manlychess.org.au

Regards

On behalf of the Organising Committee

Norman Greenwood

2009 AUSTRALIAN CHESS OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

PLAYING SCHEDULE

Friday, 2nd January
Registration from 11.00 am

Welcome Reception 12.00pm 1.00pm

Round 1 at 1.30pm

Saturday, 3rd January
Round 2 at 11am

Round 3 at 4pm

Sunday, 4th January
Round 4 at 11am

Round 5 at 4pm

Monday, 5th January
Round 6 at 11am

Tuesday, 6th January
Open Rest Day
Lightning 2pm

Wednesday, 7th January
Round 7 at 11am

Thursday, 8th January
Round 8 at 11am

Friday, 9th January
Round 9 at 11am

Saturday, 10th January
Round 10 at 11am

Sunday, 11th January
Round 11 at 11am
Prize giving 4.30pm

TIME LIMIT
FIDE time control
90 minutes + 30 seconds per move from the first move

The Open Championship will be FIDE rated.

Garrett
01-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi everyone

Would anybody know the best way to get to the venue from near Central Railway Station ?

I see that there are no train stations nearby, would there be buses ?

Cheers
Garrett.

Garrett
01-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Does anyone know what the entry fee will be ?

Apologies in advance if I should be able to find this myself but I couldn't.

cheers
Garrett.

Trent Parker
02-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone

Would anybody know the best way to get to the venue from near Central Railway Station ?

Cheers
Garrett.

Alight at Wynyard for the terminus of the North shore buses or a log of buses stop at North Sydney - except for the freeway express to falcon street buses....

Nah go to Wynyard station.

Trent Parker
02-09-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.131500.com.au/pdf/northern_region_guide_map.pdf

Trent Parker
02-09-2008, 01:07 PM

John Bradfield's original plan for the Sydney railway was to have a northern beaches line.... it was supposed to go from Wynyard accross the harbour bridge on the eastern side and then out through the military road area and then through to where warringah mall is through brookvale and to Mona Vale.

the Burnt Bridge creek deviation was originally set aside for the railway!

The eastern side of the harbour bridge was used for trams that terminated at platforms 1 and 2 at Wynyard that ended up on the northern beaches. those trams are long long gone. There is now no official platform 1 or 2 at Wynyard and the eastern side of the Harbour Bridge is now the Cahill Expressway!

Anyhow enough offtopic history. time for me to get back to work!

Garrett
02-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Alight at Wynyard for the terminus of the North shore buses or a log of buses stop at North Sydney - except for the freeway express to falcon street buses....

Nah go to Wynyard station.

Thanks Dilly Boy !!

Tony_Chow
07-09-2008, 08:09 PM
PRESS RELEASE

...... We have booked rooms for players at the Manly-Warringah Travelodge, adjacent to the Leagues Club, ...

Please advise the cost of this accommodation and whether bookings are to be made with any specific person at the Manly-Warringah Travelodge.

Thanks.

Bill Gletsos
09-09-2008, 01:14 PM
ENTRY FEES

Early Entry By December 9th
EVENT ADULT CONCESSION
Open $145 $105
Manly Classic $100 $75

Standard Entry
EVENT ADULT CONCESSION
Open $170 $130
Manly Classic $125 $100
Lightning $25 $20

CONDITIONS:

* Free entry for all GMs, IMs, WGMs and WIMs if entered by 9 December.
* You must register and pay by 9 December, to qualify for early entry.
* All entries received after 30 December will incur a $20 additional late fee.
* To qualify for a concession entry, you must be under the age of 18 - or an aged pensioner, and be able to produce your Centrelink pension card on the first day of the tournament, or the applicable adult entry fee will be charged.

george
09-09-2008, 01:54 PM
hi Bill,

I dont expect an entry from titled players - if i get one great - with the tournies in recent years i believe an email signifying a titled players intent to play has been sufficient. Our Tournament Director then would make me fill in a basic entryform for each titled player.

I have never had a titled player pull out at the last minute or not bother coming unless there was a very genuine reason. This is a case where not everyone is treated the same I guess.

By filling in the form and signing it I guess they are promising to abide by rules etc. but I have found titled players to play by the rules (do I hear laughter).

Have you found things different in NSW that requires a more formal approach?

Kindest Regards

Bill Gletsos
09-09-2008, 03:49 PM
hi Bill,

I dont expect an entry from titled players - if i get one great - with the tournies in recent years i believe an email signifying a titled players intent to play has been sufficient. Our Tournament Director then would make me fill in a basic entryform for each titled player.

I have never had a titled player pull out at the last minute or not bother coming unless there was a very genuine reason. This is a case where not everyone is treated the same I guess.

By filling in the form and signing it I guess they are promising to abide by rules etc. but I have found titled players to play by the rules (do I hear laughter).

Have you found things different in NSW that requires a more formal approach?

Kindest RegardsI am not sure what makes you think it requires titled players to fill in an entry form.
As I read it, all it requires is that if a titled player wants free entry they must register by the early entry date.

Garvinator
10-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Can someone list some further accommodation options that are not too far away or are easy to get to and from the venue by bus since there is no train at Manly?

arosar
10-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Yo gray...there is a backpackers right in the middle of Manly, in the Corso itself. Also, if you can't find accom there, you might need to stay over in the Sydney CBD where there's a bunch of places. Only problem is the daily commute and the expense. But I think a weekly ticket will reduce costs, plus Manly's boring at night anyways. Also, travelling by ferry is the most civilised experience. The action's in the CBD!

AR

Garvinator
10-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Yo gray...there is a backpackers right in the middle of Manly, in the Corso itself. Also, if you can't find accom there, you might need to stay over in the Sydney CBD where there's a bunch of places. Only problem is the daily commute and the expense. But I think a weekly ticket will reduce costs, plus Manly's boring at night anyways. Also, travelling by ferry is the most civilised experience. The action's in the CBD!

AR
Done quite a bit of looking at accommodation options. Was trying to find something closer to the venue than Manly as the tournament is in Brookvale. I would rather something close to the venue (or a short bus ride) than having to travel back and forth from Wynyard or Circular Quay.

Main reason for wanting to stay near the venue is that with 2 rounds per day, there is a chance of having a couple of hours wait between rounds. Would rather have option of being able to go back to hotel room.

Rincewind
10-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Main reason for wanting to stay near the venue is that with 2 rounds per day, there is a chance of having a couple of hours wait between rounds. Would rather have option of being able to go back to hotel room.

I think there is only two rounds on the first Saturday and Sunday. Apart from that there is only single rounds per day for the Open.

http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/Schedule.shtml

Trent Parker
10-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Theres a YHA at Collaroy Beach!?

Garvinator
10-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Theres a YHA at Collaroy Beach!?
Manly is the same distance away looking at the map and Manly is closer to the city with a jetcat from the ferry ;)

Adamski
10-09-2008, 09:16 PM
On the back of the entry form . as well as Travelodge, Manly Pacific Hotel accommodation option is mentioned. This is in Manly as opposed to Brookvale. Note that the Manly chess club does indeed meetin Brookvale at tne leagues club where the Open will be held.

The full entry form can be found via the Open web iste mentioned earlier in this thread.

There are many accomm options in the city (including cheap backpackers ones like YHA), and the best buses to get to Brookvale from the city (wynyard is best as Dilly said) are the L80 or the L85. Avoid the L88 or the L90 unles you want a long walk, as Brookvale is close to half-way between Warringah Mall and Dee Why where the 2 latter buses stop.

Feel free to contact the organising committee directly with accomm and travel related queries - they are very approachable people!

Garrett
11-09-2008, 05:38 AM
After talking to Dilly Boy I found the following website very useful for orgainising transport for the Aust Open.

http://www.131500.info/realtime/newjourney.asp

It's similar to the Qld Gov one which I use all the time.

Cheers
George.

Garvinator
11-09-2008, 02:08 PM
After talking to Dilly Boy I found the following website very useful for orgainising transport for the Aust Open.

http://www.131500.info/realtime/newjourney.asp

It's similar to the Qld Gov one which I use all the time.

Cheers
George.
Thanks for the information.

Trent Parker
11-09-2008, 04:19 PM
yeppers the good old Transport infoline (http://131500.com.au)website is a fav of mine too! :D

Ivanchuk_Fan
11-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Any official tournament website yet? (Not just the flier, but also details, entries, accommodation etc)

Bill Gletsos
11-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Any official tournament website yet? (Not just the flier, but also details, entries, accommodation etc)The website is at www.australianchessopen.com

Kevin Bonham
29-11-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm almost certainly coming over for the conference and council meeting and embarrassing myself in the lightning on the 6th, and staying a few days mainly for reasons of various non-chess interests. Incidentally I think all ACF council members present should be constitutionally required to play in the blitz for the amusement of the general chess public. :lol:

Accommodation around Manly appears to be absolutely through the roof cost-wise by my standards so I'd appreciate any advice on budget motels I can stay in with reasonably easy transport to the venue (walking a few km or getting a ferry or bus or whatever wouldn't bother me, within reason). By "budget" I'm ideally thinking not more than $80/night for a basic and secure room of my own (not sure how realistic this is anywhere much in Sydney). I don't mind having a single room in a good hostel but wouldn't stay in a shared dorm even if it was free.

Denis_Jessop
29-11-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm almost certainly coming over for the conference and council meeting and embarrassing myself in the lightning on the 6th, and staying a few days mainly for reasons of various non-chess interests. Incidentally I think all ACF council members present should be constitutionally required to play in the blitz for the amusement of the general chess public. :lol:

Accommodation around Manly appears to be absolutely through the roof cost-wise by my standards so I'd appreciate any advice on budget motels I can stay in with reasonably easy transport to the venue (walking a few km or getting a ferry or bus or whatever wouldn't bother me, within reason). By "budget" I'm ideally thinking not more than $80/night for a basic and secure room of my own (not sure how realistic this is anywhere much in Sydney). I don't mind having a single room in a good hostel but wouldn't stay in a shared dorm even if it was free.

Whoa back there, Kevin!! Nobody who saw me play blitz would be in the slightest bit amused, nor would I. I always score 1 point in a blitz tournament irrespective of the number of players but that isn't often as I avoid them like the plague :P :D

DJ

Basil
29-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Whoa back there, Kevin!! Nobody who saw me play blitz would be in the slightest bit amused, nor would I. I always score 1 point in a blitz tournament irrespective of the number of players but that isn't often as I avoid them like the plague :P :D

DJ
I wasn't planning on attending this year ... but this rate ... ;)

Adamski
29-11-2008, 10:40 PM

Accommodation around Manly appears to be absolutely through the roof cost-wise by my standards so I'd appreciate any advice on budget motels I can stay in with reasonably easy transport to the venue (walking a few km or getting a ferry or bus or whatever wouldn't bother me, within reason). By "budget" I'm ideally thinking not more than $80/night for a basic and secure room of my own (not sure how realistic this is anywhere much in Sydney). I don't mind having a single room in a good hostel but wouldn't stay in a shared dorm even if it was free.Kevin, I have stayed at YHA's and found them good and cheap so you could check out the YHA Collaroy Beach option that Trent mentioned. L85 bus will get you from Collaroy to Brookvale regularly. Bus stop directly across the road from Manly Leagues club.

I'll see you at the lightning - and Denis I'll be very disappointed if I don't get more than one point.

Kevin Bonham
30-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Kevin, I have stayed at YHA's and found them good and cheap so you could check out the YHA Collaroy Beach option that Trent mentioned.

Ta, I investigated YHA Collaroy Beach website and found the nearest thing they had to a single room was somewhat more expensive than I intended to pay (which, for a YHA is pretty amazing but I suppose there are YHAs and YHAs).

Bill Gletsos
03-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Just a reminder to everyone that the early entry discount ends next week so get your entries in now.

Vlad
03-12-2008, 11:08 PM
I would like to enter both myself and Anton. Can I just pay cash to Shane tomorrow? Thanks.

Adamski
04-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Vlad I am sure that will be fine and you will both get the cheaper entry fee.

Ian Rout
04-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Just a reminder to everyone that the early entry discount ends next week so get your entries in now.
I put mine in on Monday. Is there a list of entries anywhere? I couldn't see one on the site but I may not have looked in the right place.

Brian_Jones
10-12-2008, 11:47 AM

From the NSWCA website http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/index.shtml

Due to a promotional opportunity we have decided to extend the deadline or cut off day for early entries to the 19th of December 2008. Chess Discount Sales is offering for the first 100 entries the choice of a FREE Informant of any year but the current one (2008) or a Glass Chess Set, so hurry & put your entries in you got 10 days to go!! (all entries to date are already eligible, just need to present your entry to Chess Discount Sales)

Is the free glass chess set an incentive or a disincentive? :) ;)

Brian_Jones
10-12-2008, 11:53 AM
I put mine in on Monday. Is there a list of entries anywhere? I couldn't see one on the site but I may not have looked in the right place.

See http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/Entries.shtml

Trent Parker
10-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Damn I so wanna play but not entitled to Annual leave yet dammit.

Denis_Jessop
10-12-2008, 08:43 PM
From the NSWCA website http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/index.shtml

Due to a promotional opportunity we have decided to extend the deadline or cut off day for early entries to the 19th of December 2008. Chess Discount Sales is offering for the first 100 entries the choice of a FREE Informant of any year but the current one (2008) or a Glass Chess Set, so hurry & put your entries in you got 10 days to go!! (all entries to date are already eligible, just need to present your entry to Chess Discount Sales)

Is the free glass chess set an incentive or a disincentive? :) ;)

That depends whether the glasses are full or empty :D

Also, I'm glad to see that Hendrick Mortensen from Denmark is an entry continuing a tradition that he established at the Open in Canberra in 2001 and every Open since. Notable is that he is a Danish Arsenal supporter because, he says, most other Danes seem to support Manchester United :rolleyes:

DJ

Adamski
10-12-2008, 11:18 PM
...an incentive or a disincentive? :) ;)Wel, a recent Informator is certainly a small incentive. And I happen to own a glass chess set (it was a present from my wife)!

Anyway folks, get in and register! Arsenal and Man U supporters will not be discriminated against!

Vlad
11-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I do not find my name and the name of my son in the list somehow.:)

Adamski
11-12-2008, 09:30 PM
I do not find my name and the name of my son in the list somehow.:)Vlad, I am chasing this up for you.

bergil
12-12-2008, 06:05 AM
I do not find my name and the name of my son in the list somehow.:)I sent an email to the organising team last week after you gave me the money for you and your son last Thursday. Tonight at the NSWCA meeting I'll give the money to Norm as I said I would in the email.

Ivanchuk_Fan
12-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Top seeds for the Australian Open (all FIDE ratings):

1. George Xie 2403
2. Mark Chapman 2402
3. Vladimir Smirnov 2338
4. Jesse Noel Sales 2320
5. Kevin Sheldrick 2161
6. Paul Broekhuyse 2116

Have any GMs expressed interest in playing in the Aus Open? (e.g. Johansen, the GMs entered for Queenstown).

Adamski
12-12-2008, 01:58 PM
I do not find my name and the name of my son in the list somehow.:)Those entries are on the website now.

Kevin Bonham
18-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Discussion of Peter Parr's withdrawal of gift-offer sponsorship has been moved as suggested by a poster; it can be found here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=9229).

antichrist
19-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Top seeds for the Australian Open (all FIDE ratings):

1. George Xie 2403
2. Mark Chapman 2402
3. Vladimir Smirnov 2338
4. Jesse Noel Sales 2320
5. Kevin Sheldrick 2161
6. Paul Broekhuyse 2116

Have any GMs expressed interest in playing in the Aus Open? (e.g. Johansen, the GMs entered for Queenstown).

Alex Wohl is not turning up??

Capablanca-Fan
19-12-2008, 05:49 PM
He is an IM, albeit a very strong one at his best.

Rincewind
19-12-2008, 05:57 PM
He is an IM, albeit a very strong one at his best.

I think AC was just commenting that he should have been in the list (as he should with his present rating) if he had entered. Not specifically addressing the GM question posed by IF.

Ivanchuk_Fan
19-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Alex Wohl appeared on the list of entries this morning. For the full list of players go to http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/Entries.shtml.

Since I posted the list of the top seeds in the Australian Open a week ago, more >2000 rated players entered the tournament.

Kevin Bonham
19-12-2008, 06:21 PM
The entry list still isn't large by the standards of the Opens of yore but it is a very great improvement on a couple of weeks ago and this is very pleasing to see.

Capablanca-Fan
20-12-2008, 01:51 AM
Two Logan club players, father and son Mark and Matthew Cervenjak, are planning to play.

Bill Gletsos
21-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Total numbers are now 98 with 58 in the Open.

Vlad
21-12-2008, 08:08 PM
The field looks reasonable now. I would expect 120 people to show up. That will probably make a hole in the budget around $2000, which I understand ACF is happy to cover.

On the other hand, I am a little bit shocked by the costs, the Australian junior Championship so far attracted only 78 kids and I can see 20+ kids playing in Manly. It is very unfortunate.:(

Just curious, if even theoretically there are any chances of IM norms? I understand that in the Australian Open there is no requirement on number of foreigners. What about number of titled players? Anything else am I missing? Thanks.

Oepty
21-12-2008, 09:36 PM
The field looks reasonable now. I would expect 120 people to show up. That will probably make a hole in the budget around $2000, which I understand ACF is happy to cover.

On the other hand, I am a little bit shocked by the costs, the Australian junior Championship so far attracted only 78 kids and I can see 20+ kids playing in Manly. It is very unfortunate.:(

Just curious, if even theoretically there are any chances of IM norms? I understand that in the Australian Open there is no requirement on number of foreigners. What about number of titled players? Anything else am I missing? Thanks.

Some of the top under 12 players from NSW are playing in Sydney and Justin Tan is playing in Queenstown, meaning the under 12s is looking a bit weak at the top. Anton would currently be 3rd seed. Yi Liu has just entered to be the new top seed.
Scott

Garvinator
21-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Yi Liu has just entered to be the new top seed.
Go QLD :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bill Gletsos
21-12-2008, 11:00 PM
The field looks reasonable now. I would expect 120 people to show up. That will probably make a hole in the budget around $2000, which I understand ACF is happy to cover.If they get 120 there should not be a hole.

paulb
24-12-2008, 03:10 AM
Another boring travel question ...

If I'm coming from the Central Coast, which station should I get off at (Hornsby? Chatswood?) and which bus should I get?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers - PaulB

Garrett
24-12-2008, 04:42 AM
Hi Paul

When I was thinking of coming to Manly (I can't now as I am on-call over the period) I found a NSW public transport site where you typed your commencing location, your destination, and it gave you all the train and bus information you need.

I cannot remember the name of the site now but you could probably google it.

Have a good tourney everyone.

Cheers
Garrett.

Rincewind
24-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Another boring travel question ...

If I'm coming from the Central Coast, which station should I get off at (Hornsby? Chatswood?) and which bus should I get?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers - PaulB

Hi Paul,

I'm not completely familiar with the Sydney transport system over the bridge. But I have caught a bus from Chatswood to Mosman before (several years ago) and Chatswood seemed to be quite the bus hub. So of those two option I think Chatswood would be your better bet. But perhaps there is an even better option. Maybe North Sydney?

Good luck with sorting out the transport.

Vlad
24-12-2008, 09:21 AM
I was talking to Fred on Monday, he was telling me there is a better option but I forgot. I guess we can get Adamski to find this out.:)

Garvinator
24-12-2008, 09:34 AM
From previous posts on here and my research, I believe there are express buses that go from Wynyard station to Brookvale.

Adamski
24-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi Paul

When I was thinking of coming to Manly (I can't now as I am on-call over the period) I found a NSW public transport site where you typed your commencing location, your destination, and it gave you all the train and bus information you need.

I cannot remember the name of the site now but you could probably google it.

Have a good tourney everyone.

Cheers
Garrett.Hi guys,
It is http://www.131500.info

Paul (Br...) I would not get off the train at Chatswood, and certainly not Hornsby. It is easier coming from the Central Coast to get to Brookvale by getting off at Wynyard and getting the much more regular bus (L80 or L85) from Carrington St. Wynyard bus stop C. From Chatswood, it would be a shorter train journey but harder to get by bus to Brookvale. You'd need a 136 to Dee Why (40 mins as its a circuitous route) and then a further 5 mins to Brookvale.

Current entries for Aus Open and Norths Under 1600 event combined total 106. Expecting more!

Bill Gletsos
25-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Total numbers are now 112 with 66 in the Open.

Adamski
25-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Two Logan club players, father and son Mark and Matthew Cervenjak, are planning to play.Ta, Jono. Just to confirm their entries were received. They are on the list on the web site.

antichrist
26-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Alex Wohl appeared on the list of entries this morning. For the full list of players go to http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/Entries.shtml.

Since I posted the list of the top seeds in the Australian Open a week ago, more >2000 rated players entered the tournament.

see, I told you!

Adamski
28-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Total entries are now up to 117 with more expected.

Adamski
29-12-2008, 02:11 PM
The organising committee has accepted an offer of sponsorship from Australian Chess Enterprises (Brian Jones). The terms of this offer will remain confidential between the parties. Our web site has been updated accordingly.
See http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/Sponsors.shtml

Jonathan Adams

Communications Officer,
Organising Committee
Australian Open Chess Championship 2009

Adamski
29-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Now that Rincewind has entered, I would like to challenge other Chess Chat regulars who can to enter the Aus Open or the norths cc Under 1600.

Jono and Solo, your apologies due to necessary presence elsewhere are fully accepted! Likewise everyone playing in the Junior, e.g. Miranda, and others coaching there. The Snail King has also cited a very good excuse (on family holiday) on another thread. But I liked the symmetry of citing the names with 4 letters and "o" as the second and fourth letter!

BTW you can enter direct from the web site - http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/Entries.shtml

Desmond
30-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Is there going to be live games broadcasted?

Adamski
30-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Is there going to be live games broadcasted?The organising committee and arbiter are hopeful of being able to arrange this for the top boards.

Adamski
01-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Happy new year everyone. Entries have now hit 120 with currently a nice evenish distribution: 70 in the Open and 50 in the norths cc Centenary U 1600 tournament. I look forward to seeing some of you there!

More entries known to be coming. Aiming for 130 total.

Ian Rout
01-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Happy new year everyone. Entries have now hit 120 with currently a nice evenish distribution: 70 in the Open and 50 in the norths cc Centenary U 1600 tournament. I look forward to seeing some of you there!

More entries known to be coming. Aiming for 130 total.
Are entries going to be ruled off at some point and a Round 1 draw issued, or will they be taken up until the start of play?

Rincewind
01-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Are entries going to be ruled off at some point and a Round 1 draw issued, or will they be taken up until the start of play?

Adamski told me entries close at 11:45 on the day. Fifteen minutes before the opening ceremony.

Adamski
01-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Adamski told me entries close at 11:45 on the day. Fifteen minutes before the opening ceremony.That's right. And "the day" is tomorrow! Off now to get the auditorium set up!

paulb
01-01-2009, 02:51 PM
What time does the first game start? (The official website is down at the moment). Cheers - PaulB

Ian Rout
01-01-2009, 03:04 PM
What time does the first game start? (The official website is down at the moment). Cheers - PaulB
I have the brochure (which I hope is still right) in front of me and it says

Registration from 11am
Welcome noon
Round 1 starts 1:30pm

Adamski
01-01-2009, 03:13 PM
I have the brochure (which I hope is still right) in front of me and it says

Registration from 11am
Welcome noon
Round 1 starts 1:30pmRight, Ian.
Yes there is a temporary problem with all web sites linked to NSWCA, as ours is. December 2008 bandwidth was exceeded on the last day of the year. Keith Farrell has advised Martin van Elmpt (organising committeee) that the problem should be fixed soon after the right part of the USA that hosts the NSWCA site ticks over to New Year's day. The we start again for January bandwidth allowance.

I can report that before the web site went down entries hit 125, including an FM couple from England. We also have 2 players coming from Denmark so it is an international event.

See some of you tomorrow!

Garvinator
01-01-2009, 03:35 PM
including an FM couple from England.
With the standard of some titles nowadays, they could be entrants for the under 1600 :whistle:

Adamski
01-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Right, Ian.
Yes there is a temporary problem with all web sites linked to NSWCA, as ours isIn the meantime, basic details about the event can be read on the Manly Chess Club web site : http://www.manlychess.org.au/. I have added the schedule.

Also, anyone still wishing to enter can email Fred Schuetz, Chairman of the Organising Committee, at fred_schuetz@hotmail.com. Spectators are welcome in the spacious auditorium throughout the event.

Adamski
01-01-2009, 04:08 PM
With the standard of some titles nowadays, they could be entrants for the under 1600 :whistle:No, they are both over 2000 players. I don't have the details to hand. The 2 from Denmark are also both over 2000. Room for more Queenslanders!!

Adamski
01-01-2009, 04:44 PM
The web site is back up. See http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/index.shtml

Adamski
01-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Still a way to go to reach AC's record of consecutive posts on a thread. Nah, I don't think it's worth the effort.. Too much else to do...

Adamski
01-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Well let's keep going. With the new FIDE ratying list out, top seed for the event has changed from George Xie to Mark Chapman. See http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/Entries.shtml

Adamski
01-01-2009, 05:10 PM
And big thanks from the Organising Committee to Keith Farrell, who hung on a phone call to the US for ages waiting to speak to a human being...
9 consecutive posts is in sight!

Adamski
01-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Entries as of now include 3 IMs and 6 FMs.

Adamski
01-01-2009, 05:17 PM
There are two young local hopes from the NSW Northern Beaches. I shall be watching with interest the progress of Max Illingworth and Michael Morris.

Adamski
01-01-2009, 05:20 PM
The Top seeds for U 1600 are as follows:

1. Bennett, Calvin VIC 1567
2. Low, Frank NSW 1827 (FIDE) 1549
3. Brown, Chris J NSW 1519
4. Jeffreys, Roger W NSW 1517

Adamski
01-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Further to earlier enquiry, we intend to broadcast top 4 boards of Open.

That's 10 posts in a row. New record! (Temporarily, I am sure.)

Adamski
01-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I can report that before the web site went down entries hit 125, including an FM couple from England. We also have 2 players coming from Denmark so it is an international event.

See some of you tomorrow!They are Mark Lyell FM 2287 ENG
and Meri Grigoryan-Lyell WFM 2092 ENG.

Mokum
01-01-2009, 07:26 PM
I can confirm that the top 4 boards will be published live on the Australian Chess Open website, and the results of the day and the draw for the next round shortly after end of play each day as well.

Good luck to everyone playing!

ER
01-01-2009, 07:37 PM
I can confirm that the top 4 boards will be published live on the Australian Chess Open website, and the results of the day and the draw for the next round shortly after end of play each day as well.

Good luck to everyone playing!

I wish you guys provide related link everytime you post, that's for the convenience mainly of new members here. I also wish you a very happy NY and congratulations for your excellent tournaments there!
CAGLES

Denis_Jessop
01-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Right, Ian.
Yes there is a temporary problem with all web sites linked to NSWCA, as ours is. December 2008 bandwidth was exceeded on the last day of the year. Keith Farrell has advised Martin van Elmpt (organising committeee) that the problem should be fixed soon after the right part of the USA that hosts the NSWCA site ticks over to New Year's day. The we start again for January bandwidth allowance.

See some of you tomorrow!

You actually have three from Denmark though your entry shows the third - Henrik Mortensen as "OS" because he has an "OS" ACF rating having played in all the Opens since Canberra 2001. The three are travelling together and I met them by chance in a shop in Canberra a few days ago.

DJ

PS Congratulations on the good entry with perhaps a few more at the last minute.

Mokum
01-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I wish you guys provide related link everytime you post, that's for the convenience mainly of new members here. I also wish you a very happy NY and congratulations for your excellent tournaments there!
CAGLES

Fair enough, here's the link:

http://www.australianchessopen.com

Vlad
01-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Just for consistency, Jack Ruan has a fide rating of 1908.

Adamski
01-01-2009, 09:34 PM
You actually have three from Denmark though your entry shows the third - Henrik Mortensen as "OS" because he has an "OS" ACF rating having played in all the Opens since Canberra 2001. The three are travelling together and I met them by chance in a shop in Canberra a few days ago.

DJ

PS Congratulations on the good entry with perhaps a few more at the last minute.Thanks on both counts, Denis.

brett
02-01-2009, 01:09 PM
List of Players
No Name Feder Rtg Loc Title

1. Chapman, Mark SA 2402 2261 im
2. Xie, George NSW 2397 2411 im
3. Smirnov, Vladimir NSW 2372 2324 fm
4. Wohl, Aleksander H NSW 2342 2479 im
5. Sales, Jesse Noel NSW 2340 2304 fm
6. Rej, Tomek NSW 2330 2311 fm
7. Lyell, Mark Eng 2287
8. Illingworth, Max NSW 2250 2114
9. Ayvazyan, Armen NSW 2232 2164
10. Stojic, Dusan VIC 2219 2160
11. Hu, Jason NSW 2182 2171
12. Bolens, Johny NSW 2180 2013
13. Jakirlic, Nermin NSW 2162 2099
14. Sheldrick, Kevin SA 2161 1994
15. Mandla, Blair NSW 2116 2048
16. Broekhuyse, Paul NSW 2116 2043
17. Schon, Eugene VIC 2115 1931
18. Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija VIC 2102 1930
19. Morris, James VIC 2089 2058 fm
20. Krstic, Slobodan VIC 2064 1948
21. Nowak, Miroslaw NSW 2064 1915
22. Furst, Andrew NSW 2062 1815
23. Chan, Jason NSW 2055 1962
24. Harp, Joel NSW 2031 1792
25. Nilsson, Lars Kjoller Den 2030
26. Mortensen, Henrik OS 2022 1867
27. Lovejoy, David QLD 2014 1834
28. Svendsen, Peter Den 2007
29. Dunn, Michael Gl NSW 1986 1885
30. Weller, Tony QLD 1985 1755
31. Voon, Richard VIC 1976 1859
32. Stojic, Svetozar VIC 1972 1848
33. Viswanath, Ganesh WA 1969 1833
34. Davis, Tony J VIC 1967 1858
35. Rout, Ian C ACT 1949 1799
36. Van Der Wal, Fritz W NSW 1944 1690
37. Ali, Mosaddeque ACT 1943 1740
38. Canfell, Mike J NSW 1931 1703
39. Wan, Dennis NSW 1930 1450
40. Fry, Peter VIC 1925 1770
41. Lilly, Richard WA 1915 1872
42. Caron, Damien Fra 1914
43. Ruan, Jack NSW 1908 1643
44. Redgrave, John NSW 1882 1740
45. Abbott, Peter NSW 1858 1793
46. Rachmadi, Herman NSW 1840 1653
47. Bleicher, Horst NSW 1840 1557
48. Myers, Stephen P NSW 1807 1544
49. Russell, Luthien ACT 1786 1588
50. Encel, Benjamin NSW 1781 1487
51. Guo, Emma ACT 1778 1742
52. Glissan, Paul NSW 1767 1654
53. Baterowicz, Mark NSW 1727 1661
54. Mcgregor, Allan NSW 1955
55. Cox, Barry NSW 1858
56. Pevzner, Moissei NSW 1792
57. Zoppi, Mario VIC 1785
58. Slidziunas, John TAS 1687
59. Kong, Adrian NSW 1679
60. Papp, Alexander NSW 1679
61. Mejzini, Jack NSW 1655
62. Talum, Lito NSW 1645
63. Wang, Oscar NSW 1625
64. Stokes, Mark C QLD 1620
65. Ruan, Harry NSW 1614
66. Cuellar, Chris WA 1612
67. Buciu, Aurel-John QLD 1601
68. Javor, Stephen NSW 1569
69. Press, Brian J NSW 1564
70. Feduniw, Terry VIC 1522
71. Tan, Kevin NSW 1481
72. Anderson, Michael NSW 1458
73. Tombak, Mikhail NSW 1449
74. Schuetz, Fred NSW 1344
75. Vogelmann, Arno NSW 1199
76. Gibbon, Grahame NSW 1130

brett
02-01-2009, 01:10 PM
1 Chapman, Mark 2402 [0] : Wan, Dennis 1930 [0]
2 Fry, Peter 1925 [0] : Xie, George 2397 [0]
3 Smirnov, Vladimir 2372 [0] : Lilly, Richard 1915 [0]
4 Caron, Damien 1914 [0] : Wohl, Aleksander H 2342 [0]
5 Sales, Jesse Noel 2340 [0] : Ruan, Jack 1908 [0]
6 Redgrave, John 1882 [0] : Rej, Tomek 2330 [0]
7 Lyell, Mark 2287 [0] : Abbott, Peter 1858 [0]
8 Bleicher, Horst 1840 [0] : Illingworth, Max 2250 [0]
9 Ayvazyan, Armen 2232 [0] : Myers, Stephen P 1807 [0]
10 Russell, Luthien 1786 [0] : Stojic, Dusan 2219 [0]
11 Hu, Jason 2182 [0] : Encel, Benjamin 1781 [0]
12 Guo, Emma 1778 [0] : Bolens, Johny 2180 [0]
13 Jakirlic, Nermin 2162 [0] : Glissan, Paul 1767 [0]
14 Baterowicz, Mark 1727 [0] : Sheldrick, Kevin 2161 [0]
15 Mandla, Blair 2116 [0] : Mcgregor, Allan [0]
16 Cox, Barry [0] : Broekhuyse, Paul 2116 [0]
17 Schon, Eugene 2115 [0] : Pevzner, Moissei [0]
18 Zoppi, Mario [0] : Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija 2102 [0]
19 Morris, James 2089 [0] : Slidziunas, John [0]
20 Kong, Adrian [0] : Krstic, Slobodan 2064 [0]
21 Furst, Andrew 2062 [0] : Papp, Alexander [0]
22 Mejzini, Jack [0] : Harp, Joel 2031 [0]
23 Nilsson, Lars Kjoller 2030 [0] : Talum, Lito [0]
24 Wang, Oscar [0] : Mortensen, Henrik 2022 [0]
25 Lovejoy, David 2014 [0] : Stokes, Mark C [0]
26 Ruan, Harry [0] : Svendsen, Peter 2007 [0]
27 Dunn, Michael Gl 1986 [0] : Cuellar, Chris [0]
28 Buciu, Aurel-John [0] : Weller, Tony 1985 [0]
29 Voon, Richard 1976 [0] : Javor, Stephen [0]
30 Press, Brian J [0] : Stojic, Svetozar 1972 [0]
31 Chan, Jason 2055 [0] : Feduniw, Terry [0]
32 Tan, Kevin [0] : Davis, Tony J 1967 [0]
33 Rout, Ian C 1949 [0] : Anderson, Michael [0]
34 Tombak, Mikhail [0] : Van Der Wal, Fritz W 1944 [0]
35 Ali, Mosaddeque 1943 [0] : Schuetz, Fred [0]
36 Vogelmann, Arno [0] : Canfell, Mike J 1931 [0]
37 Gibbon, Grahame [0] 1:0 BYE

brett
02-01-2009, 01:14 PM
List of Players
No Name Feder Rtg Loc

1. Wechsler, Ian B NSW 1589
2. Bennett, Calvin VIC 1567
3. Low, Frank NSW 1807 1549
4. Ivanov, Nikola VIC 1539
5. Brown, Chris J NSW 1519
6. Jeffreys, Roger W NSW 1517
7. Naoumov, Edward NSW 1483
8. Katnic, Eddy NSW 1482
9. Hannagan, Peter K NSW 1471
10. Shi, Dawen NSW 1466
11. Roach, Owen NSW 1463
12. Greenwood, Norman NSW 1737 1452
13. Tracey, Michael J NSW 1450
14. Wettstein, Carla NSW 1450
15. Smirnov, Anton NSW 1440
16. Karayi, Valsalan NSW 1430
17. Ren, Jonathan NSW 1392
18. Wan, Kinto NSW 1387
19. Hendry, Ian L NSW 1386
20. Koh, Cedric NSW 1376
21. Hughes, David TAS 1367
22. McGowan, Daniel NSW 1350
23. Bell, Gerry V VIC 1346
24. Baldwin, A(Tony) C NSW 1340
25. Radovan, John L NSW 1322
26. Spirov, Tony NSW 1311
27. Patterson, Philip NSW 1310
28. Beahan, Patrick NSW 1305
29. Cervenjak, Mark QLD 1299
30. Went, Lindsay NSW 1278
31. Baker, John A NSW 1276
32. Mann, Nicholas G NSW 1206
33. Wilkie, Mary E NSW 1195
34. Foong, Genn NSW 1129
35. Winston, Brent QLD 1087
36. Xu, Jerry NSW 1069
37. Koh, Clarise NSW 1038
38. Mollica, David ACT 1029
39. Edwards, Greig NSW 1026
40. Accola, Tom NSW 988
41. Cervenjak, Matthew QLD 789
42. Siow-Lee, Dylan NSW 598
43. Lin, Mark NSW 550
44. Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 548
45. Gong, Noah NSW 422
46. Gong, William NSW 320
47. Arumugam, Vimal Raj
48. Barcelona, Eliel NSW
49. Bower, William NSW
50. Li, Tim NSW
51. Meaphan, Jesse QLD
52. Meaphan, James QLD
53. Nuriev, Marat NSW
54. Wright, Tristan NSW

Results
No Name Loc Total Result Name Loc Total

51 Philip Patterson 1310 [0] : Ian B Wechsler 1589 [0]
52 Calvin Bennett 1567 [0] : Patrick Beahan 1305 [0]
53 Mark Cervenjak 1299 [0] : Frank Low 1549 [0]
54 Nikola Ivanov 1539 [0] : John A Baker 1276 [0]
55 Nicholas G Mann 1206 [0] : Chris J Brown 1519 [0]
56 Roger W Jeffreys 1517 [0] : Mary E Wilkie 1195 [0]
57 Genn Foong 1129 [0] : Edward Naoumov 1483 [0]
58 Eddy Katnic 1482 [0] : Brent Winston 1087 [0]
59 Jerry Xu 1069 [0] : Peter K Hannagan 1471 [0]
60 Dawen Shi 1466 [0] : Clarise Koh 1038 [0]
61 David Mollica 1029 [0] : Owen Roach 1463 [0]
62 Norman Greenwood 1452 [0] : Greig Edwards 1026 [0]
63 Tom Accola 988 [0] : Michael J Tracey 1450 [0]
64 Carla Wettstein 1450 [0] : Matthew Cervenjak 789 [0]
65 Dylan Siow-Lee 598 [0] : Anton Smirnov 1440 [0]
66 Jonathan Ren 1392 [0] : Mark Lin 550 [0]
67 Jamie-Lee Guo 548 [0] : Kinto Wan 1387 [0]
68 Ian L Hendry 1386 [0] : Noah Gong 422 [0]
69 William Gong 320 [0] : Cedric Koh 1376 [0]
70 David Hughes 1367 [0] : Eliel Barcelona [0]
71 William Bower [0] : Daniel McGowan 1350 [0]
72 Gerry V Bell 1346 [0] : Tim Li [0]
73 Jesse Meaphan [0] : A(Tony) C Baldwin 1340 [0]
74 John L Radovan 1322 [0] : James Meaphan [0]
75 Marat Nuriev [0] : Tony Spirov 1311 [0]
76 Tristan Wright [0] 1:0 BYE
77 Lindsay Went 1278 [0] .5:0 BYE
78 Valsalan Karayi 1430 [0] .5:0 BYE

brett
02-01-2009, 01:16 PM
The top 4 boards of the Open can be found here

http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/games/games/tfd.htm

At present only two DGT boards are operational.

Davidflude
02-01-2009, 03:44 PM
The top 4 boards of the Open can be found here

http://www.nswca.org.au/AO2009/games/games/tfd.htm

At present only two DGT boards are operational.

I thought that ACF has more than four digital boards. Am I wrong?

Brian_Jones
02-01-2009, 03:59 PM

Four are in Sydney, five are in Canberra and four are in Dresden? :uhoh:

Garvinator
02-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Four are in Sydney, five are in Canberra and four are in Dresden? :uhoh:
5 in Canberra :hmm:

Desmond
02-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Most of them don't work.

AzureBlue
02-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Most of them don't work.
Is that why there were only 2 live games today rather than 4?

AzureBlue
02-01-2009, 05:16 PM
and does anyone have results yet?

Garrett
02-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Most of them don't work.

I don't really know much about the boards but isn't Monroi a more reliable system ?

It's very easy to use.

Cheers
Garrett.

AzureBlue
02-01-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't really know much about the boards but isn't Monroi a more reliable system ?

It's very easy to use.

Cheers
Garrett.
What's Monroi?
The only system I know is DGT.

Mokum
02-01-2009, 05:55 PM
and does anyone have results yet?
First round results for both tournaments can now be found at the website:

Jim_Flood
02-01-2009, 05:57 PM
ScarletFIRE,

I have no wish to be rude but instead of inanely asking questions have you ever thought of Googling the subject in an attempt to find out for yourself?

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Most of them don't work.I believe all 9 are now working.

Mokum
02-01-2009, 06:07 PM
First round results for both tournaments can now be found at the website:

The draws for round 2 are now also up on the website.

Mokum
02-01-2009, 06:35 PM
The draws for round 2 are now also up on the website.
59 of today's games are now also viewable on the website:

AzureBlue
02-01-2009, 07:25 PM
59 of today's games are now also viewable on the website:
Thanks =] :)

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Guo - Bolens

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.Nc3 Nxd5 4.Bc4 c6 5.Nge2 Bg4 6.f3 Bh5 7.Bxd5 cxd5 8.Nf4 d4 9.Nxh5 dxc3 10.dxc3 Qc7 11.Bf4 Qc6 12.Qd4 f6 13.0-0-0 Nd7 14.Be3 e6 15.Rhe1 b6 16.Qe4 Qxe4 1/2-1/2

Looks like Jonny knew he was losing and Emma wanted the ratings points! :D

Duff McKagan
02-01-2009, 09:34 PM
http://www.flyupload.com/get?fid=191385086

Games.

MichaelBaron
02-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Guo - Bolens

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.Nc3 Nxd5 4.Bc4 c6 5.Nge2 Bg4 6.f3 Bh5 7.Bxd5 cxd5 8.Nf4 d4 9.Nxh5 dxc3 10.dxc3 Qc7 11.Bf4 Qc6 12.Qd4 f6 13.0-0-0 Nd7 14.Be3 e6 15.Rhe1 b6 16.Qe4 Qxe4 1/2-1/2

Looks like Jonny knew he was losing and Emma wanted the ratings points! :D

Agreed. Sad though - should play on in such positions.

ER
03-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Agreed. Sad though - should play on in such positions.

They should not be allowed to draw positions like this one! :hmm: C'mon people play for a win! This is a top tournament!

ER
03-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Fair enough, here's the link:

Thanks Mokum! A most helpful link :clap:
CAGLES

By the way to all non initiated :P
CAGLES = Cheers And Good Luck!! Codified by Eclectic! With the ES ending u can use it as a verve or a noun! ;)

Garrett
03-01-2009, 08:05 AM
They should not be allowed to draw positions like this one! :hmm: C'mon people play for a win! This is a top tournament!

I disagree, it's up to the players !

I can remember having a similarly strong position against a player several hundred points above me a couple of years ago and taking the draw.

I went home, plugged the position into Fritz, and lost it 3 times in a row.

I got the lesson AND the half-point.

Cheers
Garrett.

Capablanca-Fan
03-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Indeed so. No one else should try to second guess the players themselves.

ER
03-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Not guessing, or hoping, or praying! All I want to see is good fighting Chess!
Go for the win!!
CAGLES

ER
03-01-2009, 12:00 PM

I can remember having a similarly strong position against a player several hundred points above me a couple of years ago and taking the draw.

Cheers
Garrett.

Garrett, maybe u lost the point to Fritz, but without wanting to be judgmental, your opponent was not Fritz and they shook hands in move 16 here!
By the way what's Fritz's analysis for this position?
CAGLES

ER
03-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Actually, I just checked it out myself. Fritz prefers White + 0.87 here! (+0.84 now) Is that sufficient to win? I don't really know!
CAGLES

Basil
03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Slow hand-clap (and eye-roll) for Guo-Bolens.

Garrett's POV relates to what's best for him. No argument. The game needs to decide whether what's best for the player is the sole parameter in determining whether agreed soft draws are acceptable - that is the question which confronts us. Without discussing those merits here (discussed at length q.v.), I will note that many things which are in the interests of a team/ player in other pursuits are simply not permitted and not in the spirit of the game. One reason of course is that a soft draw in one game can affect the chances of another player/ team elsewhere.

Garvinator
03-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I think it would be best to have another short draw thread split done now so discussion of this short draw does not infect the rest of the thread and stop discussion of other games/open matters.

Capablanca-Fan
03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Garrett, maybe u lost the point to Fritz, but without wanting to be judgmental, your opponent was not Fritz and they shook hands in move 16 here!
But someone 300 points higher might have well as been Fritz.

All the same, I think promising young players like Emma should play on such positions, to get practice at winning won games, and use a loss as a learning experience. But still, it's up to her.

It's hard to fault her opponent for agreeing a draw in a very bad position.

CAGLES
What does this mean?

ER
03-01-2009, 01:13 PM

All the same, I think promising young players like Emma should play on such positions, to get practice at winning won games, and use a loss as a learning experience. But still, it's up to her.

What does this mean?

CAGLES = acronym for Cheers And Good Luck as used by me initially and codified by Eclectic... the ES in the end facilitates the acronym to be used either as a verb or as a noun!

ops I nearly forgot to say that I was just taking the point of view of a spectator before, I didn't even know who the players were! :)
By the way Fritz now still prefers White but with + 0.75

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2009, 01:22 PM
I think it would be best to have another short draw thread split done now so discussion of this short draw does not infect the rest of the thread and stop discussion of other games/open matters.

It's a tricky one because some posts are discussing the game itself and some are discussing whether such draws should be regulated and there is a lot of back and forth between those two positions.

Anyway from this point on anyone who wishes to discuss the question of whether such draws should be regulated can do so on the short draws thread and any further discussion of regulating such draws on this thread will be moved or more likely deleted.

Not sure about that. I'd expect to lose this more often than not against Fritz but against a mere 2200-odd I'd think the risk of losing was low although the chance of a draw is pretty high. That's not to say I wouldn't be tempted by the draw offer. It reminds me a bit of a position in which I took a draw across a slightly smaller rating difference in the Aus Champs simply because even half-points were so hard to come by at such level and accepting the draw furthered my aim of not finishing last in the tournament.

Given that black moved last it appears that he offered it.

ER
03-01-2009, 01:35 PM
I
Given that black moved last it appears that he offered it.
lol i was looking at some funny (and silly) responses by White apart from the obvious fxQ!!! :)

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2009, 01:56 PM
I remember reading somewhere that offering a draw in the middle of an exchange is a useful psychological strategy. Because the opponent has to visualise and analyse the position after the exchange rather than just the position on the board in front of them, it makes things more unclear.

Anyway, here is George Xie's game from round 2, which demonstrates one of my favourite themes, the ease with which unwary opponents can be crushed with the supposedly harmless Four Knights.

Xie - Nilsson (FIDE 2030)

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.g3 Bc5 5.Bg2 0-0 6.Nxe5 Nxe5 7.d4 Bxd4 8.Qxd4 d6 9.h3 h6 10.f4 Ng6 11.0-0 Qe7 12.b3 Bd7 13.Bb2 Bc6 14.Rae1 Rfe8 15.b4 Nf8 16.b5 Ne6 17.Qd1 Bd7 18.Nd5 Qd8 19.Nxf6+ gxf6 20.Qh5 1-0

Chernz
03-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Results

51 Carla Wettstein 1450 [2] : Chris J Brown 1519 [2]
52 Jonathan Ren 1392 [2] : Edward Naoumov 1483 [2]
53 Dawen Shi 1466 [2] : Anton Smirnov 1440 [2]
54 Norman Greenwood 1452 [2] : Mark Cervenjak 1299 [2]
55 Jerry Xu 1069 [2] : Ian B Wechsler 1589 [1.5]
56 Calvin Bennett 1567 [1.5] : Daniel McGowan 1350 [1.5]
57 Kinto Wan 1387 [1.5] : Eliel Barcelona [1.5]
58 Lindsay Went 1278 [1.5] : Cedric Koh 1376 [1.5]
59 David Hughes 1367 [1.5] : Tony Spirov 1311 [1.5]
60 John L Radovan 1322 [1] : Frank Low 1549 [1]
61 Nikola Ivanov 1539 [1] : Patrick Beahan 1305 [1]
62 Roger W Jeffreys 1517 [1] : John A Baker 1276 [1]
63 Eddy Katnic 1482 [1] : Mary E Wilkie 1195 [1]
64 Philip Patterson 1310 [1] : Peter K Hannagan 1471 [1]
65 James Meaphan [1] : Owen Roach 1463 [1]
66 Tristan Wright [1] : Michael J Tracey 1450 [1]
67 Gerry V Bell 1346 [1] : Brent Winston 1087 [1]
68 A(Tony) C Baldwin 1340 [1] : Tim Li [1]
69 Genn Foong 1129 [1] : Valsalan Karayi 1430 [.5]
70 Ian L Hendry 1386 [.5] : William Gong 320 [.5]
71 Nicholas G Mann 1206 [.5] : William Bower [.5]
72 Marat Nuriev [.5] : Noah Gong 422 [.5]
73 Matthew Cervenjak 789 [0] : Clarise Koh 1038 [0]
74 David Mollica 1029 [0] : Mark Lin 550 [0]
75 Dylan Siow-Lee 598 [0] : Greig Edwards 1026 [0]
76 Jamie-Lee Guo 548 [0] : Tom Accola 988 [0]
77 Jesse Meaphan [0] 1:0 BYE

Cross Table

No Name Feder Rtg 1 2 3

1 Naoumov, Edward NSW 36:W 25:W 8:
2 Cervenjak, Mark QLD 28:W 37:W 6:
3 Brown, Chris J NSW 42:W 24:W 7:
4 Xu, Jerry NSW 29:W 38:W 10:
5 Shi, Dawen NSW 46:W 20:W 9:
6 Greenwood, Norman NSW 1737 47:W 21:W 2:
7 Wettstein, Carla NSW 48:W 22:W 3:
8 Ren, Jonathan NSW 50:W 23:W 1:
9 Smirnov, Anton NSW 49:W 19:W 5:
10 Wechsler, Ian B NSW 30:W 16:D 4:
11 Bennett, Calvin VIC 31:W 12:D 17:
12 Koh, Cedric NSW 45:W 11:D 14:
13 Hughes, David TAS 15:D 44:W 18:
14 Went, Lindsay NSW 0:D 39:W 12:
15 Barcelona, Eliel NSW 13:D 43:W 16:
16 Wan, Kinto NSW 51:W 10:D 15:
17 McGowan, Daniel NSW 40:D 41:W 11:
18 Spirov, Tony NSW 41:D 40:W 13:
19 Wright, Tristan NSW 0:W 9:L 38:
20 Baker, John A NSW 32:W 5:L 33:
21 Wilkie, Mary E NSW 33:W 6:L 34:
22 Winston, Brent QLD 34:W 7:L 35:
23 Li, Tim NSW 35:W 8:L 24:
24 Baldwin, A(Tony) C NSW 27:W 3:L 23:
25 Radovan, John L NSW 26:W 1:L 28:
26 Meaphan, James QLD 25:L 0:W 37:
27 Meaphan, Jesse QLD 24:L 36:L 0:W
28 Low, Frank NSW 1807 2:L 52:W 25:
29 Hannagan, Peter K NSW 4:L 49:W 30:
30 Patterson, Philip NSW 10:L 50:W 29:
31 Beahan, Patrick NSW 11:L 51:W 32:
32 Ivanov, Nikola VIC 20:L 46:W 31:
33 Jeffreys, Roger W NSW 21:L 47:W 20:
34 Katnic, Eddy NSW 22:L 53:W 21:
35 Bell, Gerry V VIC 23:L 48:W 22:
36 Foong, Genn NSW 1:L 27:W 39:
37 Roach, Owen NSW 52:W 2:L 26:
38 Tracey, Michael J NSW 53:W 4:L 19:
39 Karayi, Valsalan NSW 0:D 14:L 36:
40 Bower, William NSW 17:D 18:L 42:
41 Nuriev, Marat NSW 18:D 17:L 44:
42 Mann, Nicholas G NSW 3:L 45:D 40:
43 Hendry, Ian L NSW 44:D 15:L 45:
44 Gong, Noah NSW 43:D 13:L 41:
45 Gong, William NSW 12:L 42:D 43:
46 Koh, Clarise NSW 5:L 32:L 48:
47 Edwards, Greig NSW 6:L 33:L 49:
48 Cervenjak, Matthew QLD 7:L 35:L 46:
49 Siow-Lee, Dylan NSW 9:L 29:L 47:
50 Lin, Mark NSW 8:L 30:L 52:
51 Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 16:L 31:L 53:
52 Mollica, David ACT 37:L 28:L 50:
53 Accola, Tom NSW 38:L 34:L 51:
54 Arumugam, Vimal Raj 0: 0: 0:

List of Players

No Name Feder Rtg Loc

1. Wechsler, Ian B NSW 1589
2. Bennett, Calvin VIC 1567
3. Low, Frank NSW 1807 1549
4. Ivanov, Nikola VIC 1539
5. Brown, Chris J NSW 1519
6. Jeffreys, Roger W NSW 1517
7. Naoumov, Edward NSW 1483
8. Katnic, Eddy NSW 1482
9. Hannagan, Peter K NSW 1471
10. Shi, Dawen NSW 1466
11. Roach, Owen NSW 1463
12. Greenwood, Norman NSW 1737 1452
13. Tracey, Michael J NSW 1450
14. Wettstein, Carla NSW 1450
15. Smirnov, Anton NSW 1440
16. Karayi, Valsalan NSW 1430
17. Ren, Jonathan NSW 1392
18. Wan, Kinto NSW 1387
19. Hendry, Ian L NSW 1386
20. Koh, Cedric NSW 1376
21. Hughes, David TAS 1367
22. McGowan, Daniel NSW 1350
23. Bell, Gerry V VIC 1346
24. Baldwin, A(Tony) C NSW 1340
25. Radovan, John L NSW 1322
26. Spirov, Tony NSW 1311
27. Patterson, Philip NSW 1310
28. Beahan, Patrick NSW 1305
29. Cervenjak, Mark QLD 1299
30. Went, Lindsay NSW 1278
31. Baker, John A NSW 1276
32. Mann, Nicholas G NSW 1206
33. Wilkie, Mary E NSW 1195
34. Foong, Genn NSW 1129
35. Winston, Brent QLD 1087
36. Xu, Jerry NSW 1069
37. Koh, Clarise NSW 1038
38. Mollica, David ACT 1029
39. Edwards, Greig NSW 1026
40. Accola, Tom NSW 988
41. Cervenjak, Matthew QLD 789
42. Siow-Lee, Dylan NSW 598
43. Lin, Mark NSW 550
44. Guo, Jamie-Lee ACT 548
45. Gong, Noah NSW 422
46. Gong, William NSW 320
47. Arumugam, Vimal Raj
48. Barcelona, Eliel NSW
49. Bower, William NSW
50. Li, Tim NSW
51. Meaphan, Jesse QLD
52. Meaphan, James QLD
53. Nuriev, Marat NSW
54. Wright, Tristan NSW

Chernz
03-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Results

No Name Rtg Total Result Name Rtg Total

1 Chapman, Mark 2402 [2] : Ayvazyan, Armen 2232 [2]
2 Mandla, Blair 2116 [2] : Xie, George 2397 [2]
3 Smirnov, Vladimir 2372 [2] : Sheldrick, Kevin 2161 [2]
4 Schon, Eugene 2115 [2] : Wohl, Aleksander H 2342 [2]
5 Sales, Jesse Noel 2340 [2] : Svendsen, Peter 2007 [2]
6 Morris, James 2089 [2] : Rej, Tomek 2330 [2]
7 Chan, Jason 2055 [2] : Illingworth, Max 2250 [2]
8 Rout, Ian C 1949 [2] : Bolens, Johny 2180 [1.5]
9 Hu, Jason 2182 [1.5] : Canfell, Mike J 1931 [1.5]
10 Stojic, Svetozar 1972 [1.5] : Broekhuyse, Paul 2116 [1.5]
11 Kong, Adrian [1.5] : Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija 2102 [1.5]
12 Lyell, Mark 2287 [1] : Glissan, Paul 1767 [1.5]
13 Ali, Mosaddeque 1943 [1] : Stojic, Dusan 2219 [1]
14 Wan, Dennis 1930 [1] : Krstic, Slobodan 2064 [1]
15 Redgrave, John 1882 [1] : Furst, Andrew 2062 [1]
16 Myers, Stephen P 1807 [1] : Harp, Joel 2031 [1]
17 Nilsson, Lars Kjoller 2030 [1] : Mcgregor, Allan [1]
18 Baterowicz, Mark 1727 [1] : Mortensen, Henrik 2022 [1]
19 Lovejoy, David 2014 [1] : Cuellar, Chris [1]
20 Dunn, Michael Gl 1986 [1] : Stokes, Mark C [1]
21 Cox, Barry [1] : Weller, Tony 1985 [1]
22 Voon, Richard 1976 [1] : Gibbon, Grahame [1]
23 Wang, Oscar [1] : Davis, Tony J 1967 [1]
24 Schuetz, Fred [1] : Van Der Wal, Fritz W 1944 [1]
25 Jakirlic, Nermin 2162 [.5] : Guo, Emma 1778 [.5]
26 Zoppi, Mario [.5] : Nowak, Miroslaw 2064 [.5]
27 Fry, Peter 1925 [.5] : Papp, Alexander [.5]
28 Caron, Damien 1914 [.5] : Javor, Stephen [.5]
29 Buciu, Aurel-John [.5] : Ruan, Jack 1908 [.5]
30 Tan, Kevin [.5] : Abbott, Peter 1858 [.5]
31 Russell, Luthien 1786 [.5] : Slidziunas, John [.5]
32 Ruan, Harry [.5] : Encel, Benjamin 1781 [.5]
33 Vogelmann, Arno [.5] : Lilly, Richard 1915 [0]
34 Rachmadi, Herman 1840 [0] : Talum, Lito [0]
35 Bleicher, Horst 1840 [0] : Press, Brian J [0]
36 Pevzner, Moissei [0] : Feduniw, Terry [0]
37 Mejzini, Jack [0] : Anderson, Michael [0]
38 Tombak, Mikhail [0] 1:0 BYE

Cross Table

No Name Feder Rtg 1 2 3

1 Chapman, Mark SA 2402 39:W 30:W 3:
2 Rej, Tomek NSW 2330 40:W 28:W 14:
3 Ayvazyan, Armen NSW 2232 41:W 31:W 1:
4 Sheldrick, Kevin SA 2161 42:W 33:W 10:
5 Mandla, Blair NSW 2116 34:W 32:W 6:
6 Xie, George NSW 2397 55:W 38:W 5:
7 Wohl, Aleksander H NSW 2342 56:W 27:W 12:
8 Sales, Jesse Noel NSW 2340 57:W 26:W 9:
9 Svendsen, Peter Den 2007 59:W 25:W 8:
10 Smirnov, Vladimir NSW 2372 67:W 37:W 4:
11 Illingworth, Max NSW 2250 68:W 48:W 15:
12 Schon, Eugene VIC 2115 69:W 49:W 7:
13 Rout, Ian C ACT 1949 71:W 29:W 20:
14 Morris, James VIC 2089 58:W 24:W 2:
15 Chan, Jason NSW 2055 70:W 50:W 11:
16 Broekhuyse, Paul NSW 2116 44:W 17:D 19:
17 Kong, Adrian NSW 43:W 16:D 21:
18 Hu, Jason NSW 2182 60:W 19:D 22:
19 Stojic, Svetozar VIC 1972 73:W 18:D 16:
20 Bolens, Johny NSW 2180 52:D 53:W 13:
21 Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija VIC 2102 53:D 54:W 17:
22 Canfell, Mike J NSW 1931 54:D 51:W 18:
23 Glissan, Paul NSW 1767 51:D 52:W 25:
24 Gibbon, Grahame NSW 0:W 14:L 48:
25 Lyell, Mark Eng 2287 61:W 9:L 23:
26 Mortensen, Henrik OS 2022 45:W 8:L 42:
27 Lovejoy, David QLD 2014 46:W 7:L 47:
28 Dunn, Michael Gl NSW 1986 47:W 2:L 46:
29 Stojic, Dusan VIC 2219 62:W 13:L 33:
30 Furst, Andrew NSW 2062 63:W 1:L 40:
31 Weller, Tony QLD 1985 64:W 3:L 44:
32 Davis, Tony J VIC 1967 66:W 5:L 45:
33 Ali, Mosaddeque ACT 1943 35:W 4:L 29:
34 Mcgregor, Allan NSW 5:L 36:W 38:
35 Schuetz, Fred NSW 33:L 0:W 49:
36 Tombak, Mikhail NSW 49:L 34:L 0:W
37 Harp, Joel NSW 2031 74:W 10:L 41:
38 Nilsson, Lars Kjoller Den 2030 75:W 6:L 34:
39 Wan, Dennis NSW 1930 1:L 74:W 43:
40 Redgrave, John NSW 1882 2:L 75:W 30:
41 Myers, Stephen P NSW 1807 3:L 73:W 37:
42 Baterowicz, Mark NSW 1727 4:L 70:W 26:
43 Krstic, Slobodan VIC 2064 17:L 69:W 39:
44 Cox, Barry NSW 16:L 71:W 31:
45 Wang, Oscar NSW 26:L 67:W 32:
46 Stokes, Mark C QLD 27:L 72:W 28:
47 Cuellar, Chris WA 28:L 68:W 27:
48 Voon, Richard VIC 1976 65:W 11:L 24:
49 Van Der Wal, Fritz W NSW 1944 36:W 12:L 35:
50 Nowak, Miroslaw NSW 2064 0:D 15:L 53:
51 Jakirlic, Nermin NSW 2162 23:D 22:L 52:
52 Guo, Emma ACT 1778 20:D 23:L 51:
53 Zoppi, Mario VIC 21:D 20:L 50:
54 Vogelmann, Arno NSW 22:D 21:L 67:
55 Fry, Peter VIC 1925 6:L 58:D 63:
56 Caron, Damien Fra 1914 7:L 63:D 65:
57 Ruan, Jack NSW 1908 8:L 59:D 64:
58 Slidziunas, John TAS 14:L 55:D 62:
59 Ruan, Harry NSW 9:L 57:D 60:
60 Encel, Benjamin NSW 1781 18:L 66:D 59:
61 Abbott, Peter NSW 1858 25:L 64:D 66:
62 Russell, Luthien ACT 1786 29:L 65:D 58:
63 Papp, Alexander NSW 30:L 56:D 55:
64 Buciu, Aurel-John QLD 31:L 61:D 57:
65 Javor, Stephen NSW 48:L 62:D 56:
66 Tan, Kevin NSW 32:L 60:D 61:
67 Lilly, Richard WA 1915 10:L 45:L 54:
68 Bleicher, Horst NSW 1840 11:L 47:L 73:
69 Pevzner, Moissei NSW 12:L 43:L 70:
70 Feduniw, Terry VIC 15:L 42:L 69:
71 Anderson, Michael NSW 13:L 44:L 74:
72 Rachmadi, Herman NSW 1840 0: 46:L 75:
73 Press, Brian J NSW 19:L 41:L 68:
74 Mejzini, Jack NSW 37:L 39:L 71:
75 Talum, Lito NSW 38:L 40:L 72:
76 Viswanath, Ganesh WA 1969 0: 0: 0:

List of Players

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Title

1. Chapman, Mark SA 2402 2261 im
2. Xie, George NSW 2397 2411 im
3. Smirnov, Vladimir NSW 2372 2324 fm
4. Wohl, Aleksander H NSW 2342 2479 im
5. Sales, Jesse Noel NSW 2340 2304 fm
6. Rej, Tomek NSW 2330 2311 fm
7. Lyell, Mark Eng 2287 fm
8. Illingworth, Max NSW 2250 2114
9. Ayvazyan, Armen NSW 2232 2164
10. Stojic, Dusan VIC 2219 2160
11. Hu, Jason NSW 2182 2171
12. Bolens, Johny NSW 2180 2013
13. Jakirlic, Nermin NSW 2162 2099
14. Sheldrick, Kevin SA 2161 1994
15. Mandla, Blair NSW 2116 2048
16. Broekhuyse, Paul NSW 2116 2043
17. Schon, Eugene VIC 2115 1931
18. Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija VIC 2102 1930
19. Morris, James VIC 2089 2058 fm
20. Krstic, Slobodan VIC 2064 1948
21. Nowak, Miroslaw NSW 2064 1915
22. Furst, Andrew NSW 2062 1815
23. Chan, Jason NSW 2055 1962
24. Harp, Joel NSW 2031 1792
25. Nilsson, Lars Kjoller Den 2030
26. Mortensen, Henrik OS 2022 1867
27. Lovejoy, David QLD 2014 1834
28. Svendsen, Peter Den 2007
29. Dunn, Michael Gl NSW 1986 1885
30. Weller, Tony QLD 1985 1755
31. Voon, Richard VIC 1976 1859
32. Stojic, Svetozar VIC 1972 1848
33. Viswanath, Ganesh WA 1969 1833
34. Davis, Tony J VIC 1967 1858
35. Rout, Ian C ACT 1949 1799
36. Van Der Wal, Fritz W NSW 1944 1690
37. Ali, Mosaddeque ACT 1943 1740
38. Canfell, Mike J NSW 1931 1703
39. Wan, Dennis NSW 1930 1450
40. Fry, Peter VIC 1925 1770
41. Lilly, Richard WA 1915 1872
42. Caron, Damien Fra 1914
43. Ruan, Jack NSW 1908 1643
44. Redgrave, John NSW 1882 1740
45. Abbott, Peter NSW 1858 1793
46. Rachmadi, Herman NSW 1840 1653
47. Bleicher, Horst NSW 1840 1557
48. Myers, Stephen P NSW 1807 1544
49. Russell, Luthien ACT 1786 1588
50. Encel, Benjamin NSW 1781 1487
51. Guo, Emma ACT 1778 1742
52. Glissan, Paul NSW 1767 1654
53. Baterowicz, Mark NSW 1727 1661
54. Mcgregor, Allan NSW 1955
55. Cox, Barry NSW 1858
56. Pevzner, Moissei NSW 1792
57. Zoppi, Mario VIC 1785
58. Slidziunas, John TAS 1687
59. Kong, Adrian NSW 1679
60. Papp, Alexander NSW 1679
61. Mejzini, Jack NSW 1655
62. Talum, Lito NSW 1645
63. Wang, Oscar NSW 1625
64. Stokes, Mark C QLD 1620
65. Ruan, Harry NSW 1614
66. Cuellar, Chris WA 1612
67. Buciu, Aurel-John QLD 1601
68. Javor, Stephen NSW 1569
69. Press, Brian J NSW 1564
70. Feduniw, Terry VIC 1522
71. Tan, Kevin NSW 1481
72. Anderson, Michael NSW 1458
73. Tombak, Mikhail NSW 1449
74. Schuetz, Fred NSW 1344
75. Vogelmann, Arno NSW 1199
76. Gibbon, Grahame NSW 1130

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Looks like Ian Rout defeated Dusan Stojic with black. :clap: :clap:

Garvinator
03-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Can the pairing results from round two also be displayed?

Adamski
03-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Looks like Ian Rout defeated Dusan Stojic with black. :clap: :clap:Yes, a great result for a Chess Chat regular.

BearDrinkingBeer
03-01-2009, 07:50 PM
The two games Mandla-Xie (1-0) and Chapman-Ayvazyan (1-0) on the live display are also quite interesting.

Mokum
03-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Round three results, crosstables, and the draw for round 4 are now up on the website.

Adamski
03-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Ian Rout won again to move to 3. Also, Rincewind won again to move to 2.

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Ian Rout won again to move to 3. Also, Rincewind won again to move to 2.

Rout beat Bolens who he had been downfloated to play against. Barry beat Tony Weller. Tassie's sole representative in the Open John Slidziunas is doing pretty well on 1.5/3.

Rout is now black vs Wohl while Barry is black against Sheldrick.

Kaitlin
03-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Really :) ... let me look

kinderchocolate
03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
George missed Qb1+ (not Be4) with a forced draw.

Mokum
03-01-2009, 08:53 PM
186 games of the first three rounds are both viewable and downloadable from the website.

kinderchocolate
03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
My impression is that Armen Ayvazyan's 38..Kg3 should have been 38..Kf5 with a draw.

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Mandla - Xie

1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. d3 Bb4 4. Nf3 Nc6 5. g3 e4 6. Ng5 Bxc3+ 7. bxc3 exd3 8.
exd3 O-O 9. Bg2 Re8+ 10. Be3 d5 11. cxd5 Bg4 12. Qb3 Ne5 13. c4 h6 14. Ne4 b6
15. O-O Be2 16. Nxf6+ Qxf6 17. Rfe1 Nf3+ 18. Bxf3 Bxf3 19. Bf4 c6 20. d4 Be4
21. Be5 Qf5 22. dxc6 Bxc6 23. Qc3 Rac8 24. Bxg7 Rxe1+ 25. Rxe1 Bd5 26. Qe3 Bxc4
27. Bxh6 Bxa2 28. h3 Bd5 29. g4 Qg6 30. Rc1 Rxc1+ 31. Qxc1 Kh7 32. Qg5 Be4 33.
Qxg6+ Kxg6 34. Bd2 Kf6 35. f4 a5 36. Kf2 a4 37. Ke3 Bg2 38. h4 a3 39. h5 Bd5
40. g5+ Kg7 41. h6+ Kg6 42. f5+ Kh7 43. Kf4 f6 44. gxf6 a2 45. Bc3 Kxh6 46. Ke5
Bf7 47. d5 Kh7 48. d6 Be8 1-0

D Stojic - Rout. Stojic was winning but his method of swapping queens wasn't the most ideal.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.h3 Na5 10.Bc2 d5 11.exd5 e4 12.Bxe4 Nxe4 13.Rxe4 Bb7 14.d4 Re8 15.Bf4 Nc4 16.b3 Nb6 17.Re1 Nxd5 18.Bg3 Bf6 19.Rxe8+ Qxe8 20.Qd3 Rd8 21.Nbd2 c5 22.Ne4 cxd4 23.cxd4 Qc6 24.Qd2 Ne7 25.Re1 Nf5 26.Nxf6+ Qxf6 27.Be5 Qg6 28.Qg5 Qxg5 29.Nxg5 f6 30.Ne6 Re8 31.Nc5 Bc8 32.Nd3 fxe5 33.dxe5 Kf7 34.f4 Rd8 35.Nc5 Rd2 36.Ne4 Rc2 37.Rd1 Ke7 38.g4 Bb7 39.Nf2 Ne3 40.Re1 Ng2 41.Rd1 Nxf4 42.a4 Rc1 0-1

Rout-Bolens. Bolens plays a rubbish opening and Rout disposes of it easily.

1. Nf3 Nf6 2. d4 d5 3. c4 dxc4 4. e3 b5 5. a4 c6 6. b3 a5 7. axb5 cxb5 8. bxc4
b4 9. Bd3 e6 10. O-O Bd7 11. Ne5 Be7 12. Nd2 O-O 13. Qf3 Ra7 14. Bb2 a4 15. d5
exd5 16. Bd4 Ra5 17. cxd5 Rxd5 18. Ne4 Rxe5 19. Bxe5 Bg4 20. Nxf6+ Bxf6 21. Qe4
Qxd3 22. Qxd3 Bxe5 23. Rxa4 Bc3 24. Ra8 Nd7 25. Rxf8+ Nxf8 26. h3 Be6 27. f4 g6
28. e4 f5 29. e5 Kg7 30. Qc2 Nd7 31. Rd1 Kf7 32. Qa4 Ke7 33. Qc6 Nf8 34. Rd6
Bd7 35. Qc7 Ke8 36. e6 Bxe6 37. Rd8# 1-0

Cox - Weller. Amazing stuff as Barry is at one stage bashing away a rook for pawn down and for much of the game is presumably objectively lost but the pressure is eventually too much for the opponent who goes down in spectacular fashion (47...Kd8 is disastrous; ...Kf8 still apparently draws).

1. Nf3 d5 2. d4 Nf6 3. Bf4 e6 4. e3 Bd6 5. Bxd6 Qxd6 6. Nbd2 c5 7. c4 cxd4 8.
exd4 Nc6 9. c5 Qc7 10. Bb5 O-O 11. O-O Bd7 12. a3 a6 13. Bd3 h6 14. b4 b5 15.
Re1 Rfb8 16. Ne5 Nxd4 17. Ndf3 Nxf3+ 18. Qxf3 Be8 19. Rac1 a5 20. Bc2 axb4 21.
axb4 Ra7 22. Qd3 Rba8 23. Ng4 Nxg4 24. Qh7+ Kf8 25. g3 Ne5 26. Qh8+ Ke7 27.
Qxg7 Nf3+ 28. Kg2 Nxe1+ 29. Rxe1 Ra2 30. Bf5 Kd8 31. Qxh6 R8a6 32. Qh8 Qe7 33.
Bd3 Kc7 34. Qe5+ Kb7 35. h4 Rd2 36. Re3 Bc6 37. Rf3 Ra3 38. Bxb5 Rxf3 39. Bxc6+
Kxc6 40. Kxf3 Rd3+ 41. Kg2 Rb3 42. Qb8 Ra3 43. Qb6+ Kd7 44. b5 Ke8 45. c6 Ra8
46. Qd4 e5 47. Qg4 Kd8 48. Qg8+ Qe8 49. Qxe8+ Kxe8 50. b6 Kd8 51. h5 Ra6 52. h6
Rxb6 53. h7 Rxc6 54. h8=Q+ Kd7 55. Qxe5 Rd6 56. Qd4 Ke6 57. f4 f5 58. Qe5+ Kd7
59. Qxf5+ Kc6 60. Qc8+ Kb5 61. Qb8+ Kc5 62. Qxd6+ Kxd6 63. Kf2 Ke6 64. Ke3 1-0

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Morris - Rej

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.g3 g6 4.Bg2 Bg7 5.0-0 0-0 6.Nc3 Nc6 7.d4 cxd4 8.Nxd4 Nxd4 9.Qxd4 d6 10.Bg5 Qa5 11.Qd2 Be6 12.b3 Qc7 13.Rac1 Qd7 14.Rfd1 Rfc8 15.e4 Ng4 16.Nd5 f6 17.Bf4 Ne5 18.Bxe5 fxe5 19.Qg5 Re8 20.c5 Rac8 21.Qe3 dxc5 22.Nf6+ exf6 23.Rxd7 Bxd7 24.Rxc5 Bh6 25.Qc3 Be6 26.Bf1 b6 27.Rc7 Kh8 28.Kg2 Red8 29.Ba6 Rxc7 30.Qxc7 Rd2 31.Qe7 Bg8 32.Qxf6+ Bg7 33.Qe7 Rxa2 34.Qxa7 Rb2 35.Qb8 b5 36.Bxb5 Rxb3 37.Qe8 Rc3 38.Bd7 1-0

Adamski
03-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Cox - Weller. Amazing stuff as Barry is at one stage bashing away a rook for two pawns down and for much of the game is objectively lost but the pressure is eventually too much for the opponent who goes down in spectacular fashion (47...Kd8 is disastrous; ...Kf8 still apparently draws).

59. Qxf5+ Kc6 60. Qc8+ Kb5 61. Qb8+ Kc5 62. Qxd6+ Kxd6 63. Kf2 Ke6 64. Ke3 1-0Well done, Barry. More evidence against resigning too early!

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Well done, Barry. More evidence against resigning too early!

I doubt resigning would have been in Barry's mind as from 23.Ng4 onwards he's committed to being lots of material down - and he always has some sort of play for it.

BearDrinkingBeer
03-01-2009, 09:36 PM
George missed Qb1+ (not Be4) with a forced draw.

Yes, that looks right. My computer is telling me that the opposite-coloured bishop ending is very difficult to defend.

My impression is that Armen Ayvazyan's 38..Kg3 should have been 38..Kf5 with a draw.

I think Black can play for more than a draw here. Rybka tells me White can escape by the skin of his teeth; the final position is a rook vs. knight endgame.

Great work with the PGN file for the tournament as well!

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Chapman - Ayvazyan

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 d6 6. Bc4 e6 7. Be3 Be7 8.
Qe2 O-O 9. O-O-O a6 10. Bb3 Nxd4 11. Bxd4 b5 12. f4 b4 13. Na4 e5 14. fxe5 Bg4
15. Qe3 Nd7 16. Qg3 Bg5+ 17. Kb1 Bxd1 18. Rxd1 dxe5 19. Bxe5 Bf6 20. Bd6 Re8
21. Qf3 Qc8 22. Qh5 g6 23. Bxf7+ {"I smack!"} Kxf7 24. Qxh7+ Bg7 25. Rf1+ Nf6
26. e5 Re6 27. exf6 Rxf6 28. Rxf6+ Kxf6 29. Be5+ Kxe5 30. Qxg7+ Kf5 31. Qf7+
Kg5 32. Qe7+ Kh5 33. Qxb4 Qg4 34. Qxg4+ Kxg4 35. c4 Rh8 36. c5 Rxh2 37. Nb6 Rh7
38. Nd5 Kg3 39. c6 Kxg2 40. c7 Rh8 41. Ne7 g5 42. c8=Q Rxc8 43. Nxc8 g4 44. Nd6
Kf3 45. Nf5 Kf4 46. Nh4 Kg3 47. Ng6 1-0

I agree with the above comments re 38...Kg5 being the better side of a draw whereas ...Kg3 is losing.

However, Black gets another chance and misses that as well. After 46.Nh4, ...g3 is a draw, the knight gets chased forever by the black king. Instead of 46.Nh4, the improbable 46.Ng7!! appears to win.

Adamski
03-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Gunner would be interested to note that drug played the Trompovsky in Round 1 and Round 3 - successfully. He has 3 out of 3 so co-leads.

Adamski
03-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Night all. Note there are 2 rounds tomorrow. 11 am and 4 pm. I shall only be there for the first of them. (Like Scott, Church commitment.)

Gattaca
03-01-2009, 10:44 PM
D Stojic - Rout. Stojic was winning but his method of swapping queens wasn't the most ideal.

I haven't looked at the game with Fritz, just played over it au naturale, but I was really impressed by Rout's play. In my opinion he has matured greatly as a player sometime in the last couple of years. He was sharp as a tack in that game.

First he chooses a super sharp gambit line to take the initiative. It fizzles out a bit against a higher rated opponent, but he keeps playing trickily and by the time Dusan blundered the piece with Qg5 I couldn't see a defence for White. Classic bishops on opposites position where the side with the initiative is effectively a piece up.

Okay, so Dusan gets two pawns for the piece and starts wriggling ferociously, as you'd expect. A few years ago maybe he would have swindled a win or a draw. But the Routster plays the ending super aggressively, eschewing various pawn grabs and just going for active piece play at every turn. He made what looked like a tricky job of converting the advantage look really easy. He was all over the tactics... had everything covered, lots of sharp responses to keep the initiative instead of being forced onto the defensive. It looks to me as though Ian, who was always positionally strong, has added a new tactical sharpness to his armoury. If this is the case, and I'm not reading too much into one game, he will be very dangerous to the top seeds.

By the way, it's great having all the games available and the game viewers are the best I've seen. Well done to the organisers responsible.

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2009, 11:00 PM
First he chooses a super sharp gambit line to take the initiative. It fizzles out a bit against a higher rated opponent, but he keeps playing trickily and by the time Dusan blundered the piece with Qg5 I couldn't see a defence for White. Classic bishops on opposites position where the side with the initiative is effectively a piece up.

Yes, White is already having issues before Qg5. It looks like White has already blown it with 27.Be5? instead of the much stronger 27.Bc7!, eg ...Rc8 28.d5 Nd6 and black is very tied down, white has the pawn and the initiative. After 27.Be5 Qg6 Fritz says 28.Qc3 is still equal; I don't trust this.

I'm surprised Dusan missed the pretty obvious 30.Bc7 which appears to avoid losing the piece. Perhaps he was short on time or perhaps the course of the game had him rattled!

But the Routster plays the ending super aggressively, eschewing various pawn grabs and just going for active piece play at every turn. He made what looked like a tricky job of converting the advantage look really easy.

Agreed, white folded remarkably quickly.

Basil
03-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Gunner would be interested to note that drug played the Trompovsky in Round 1 and Round 3 - successfully.
Indeed! and thanks. I checked out both games (I wouldn't have without your prompting) and was delighted to see (with respect to both opponents) that both of the games were shellackings - especially the first. That first game needs to go into a Tromp book illustrating the dangers of underestimating same.

Interestingly to me, the classicists keep denying the Tromp's dangers, while the Tromp exponents (I can only dream of being one) keep supplying the evidence ;)

Carry on!

Mokum
04-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Because of an error with the results of round 3 (Oscar Wang drew against Tony Davis) a new draw for round 4 has been made and is now up on the website.

Adamski
04-01-2009, 08:38 AM
An astute observer of the photos on our tournament website asked me about the scarf I was wearing during the opening ceremony.

One of our main sponsors is the Manly Warringah Rugby League Club and one of the speakers in the opening ceremony was the Chairman of that host club. The league club has given us the use of a wonderful auditorium free. Of course, the Manly Chess Club standardly meets at the leagues club. As a member of both, I showed my loyalty to the premier league club in the country! But I still prefer soccer!

The lady in the photo on the tournament website playing 1 e2-e4 is the Deputy Mayor of Manly Adele Heasman (who I know through Christian circles - Jono she is Greg Stigter's sister) who declared the tournament open in the time-honoured way by playing the first move on Board 1. (I checked with Mark Chapman what move he wished to play!)

And thanks to IM Guy for his kind comments. The credit goes to Martin van Elmpt and Nick Chernih for organising our excellent game viewers.

Adamski
04-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Before Round 4 a special presentation was made to Australia's newest IGM, Zong-Yuan Zhao, recognising this fantastic achievement by the NSW player. Treasurer of the ACF and NSWCA Norm Greenwood presented him with a specially engraved chessboard + pieces. The achievement was loudly clapped by all present.

Adamski
04-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Those who were following the live game on Board 2 would have noticed that drug played an unusual line of the Sveshnikov Sicilian with 6...h6. I asked him later about it if it was book and he said it was from a "special" book. It's probably written in Russian! Perhaps Michael Baron also knows of it?

To me he seemed to have the worst of the opening but with tactical chances. These came to fruition with the win of a piece with ...Rxd2. So he now has 4 out of 4.
Chapman seems to be on the wrong end of a IQP position so drug may be on Board 1 next round.
Barry Cox was having difficulties getting his K-side developed and has dropped a pawn.

Capablanca-Fan
04-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Those who were following the live game on Board 2 would have noticed that drug played an unusual line of the Sveshnikov Sicilian with 6...h6. I asked him later about it if it was book and he said it was from a "special" book. It's probably written in Russian! Perhaps Michael Baron also knows of it?
Looks like crap to me, but Drug presumably has his reasons. He played it in the last round of the Aussie Masters and had an atrocious position which he won through a blunder. I think the right idea was played in that game, Nd6+, taking advantage of its non-prevention.

To me he seemed to have the worst of the opening but with tactical chances. These came to fruition with the win of a piece with ...Rxd2. So he now has 4 out of 4.
That's what I thought too.

Chapman seems to be on the wrong end of a IQP position so drug may be on Board 1 next round.
Chapman's dangerous aggressive style hasn't changed much since we were junior contemporaries.

Adamski
04-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Chapman seems to be on the wrong end of a IQP position so drug may be on Board 1 next round.FM Jesse Noel Sales has duly beaten IM Mark Chapman. Sales is on 4 out of 4.

Chernz
04-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Results Round 4 U1600

51 Chris J Brown 1519 [3] 0:1 Dawen Shi 1466 [3]
52 Edward Naoumov 1483 [3] 1:0 Norman Greenwood 1452 [3]
53 Ian B Wechsler 1589 [2.5] 0:1 Cedric Koh 1376 [2.5]
54 Eliel Barcelona [2.5] 0:1 Calvin Bennett 1567 [2.5]
55 Gerry V Bell 1346 [2] 0:1 Nikola Ivanov 1539 [2]
56 A(Tony) C Baldwin 1340 [2] +:- Eddy Katnic 1482 [2]
57 Owen Roach 1463 [2] 0:1 John L Radovan 1322 [2]
58 Michael J Tracey 1450 [2] 0:1 Philip Patterson 1310 [2]
59 Tony Spirov 1311 [2] 0:1 Carla Wettstein 1450 [2]
60 Anton Smirnov 1440 [2] .5:.5 Jerry Xu 1069 [2]
61 Mark Cervenjak 1299 [2] 0:1 Jonathan Ren 1392 [2]
62 John A Baker 1276 [2] 1:0 David Hughes 1367 [2]
63 Daniel McGowan 1350 [1.5] 1:0 Valsalan Karayi 1430 [1.5]
64 Kinto Wan 1387 [1.5] 1:0 Lindsay Went 1278 [1.5]
65 William Bower [1.5] .5:.5 Roger W Jeffreys 1517 [1]
66 Frank Low 1549 [1] 1:0 Dylan Siow-Lee 598 [1]
67 Peter K Hannagan 1471 [1] 1:0 Jamie-Lee Guo 548 [1]
68 Tim Li [1] 1:0 Ian L Hendry 1386 [1]
69 Patrick Beahan 1305 [1] 1:0 William Gong 320 [1]
70 Mary E Wilkie 1195 [1] 1:0 Jesse Meaphan [1]
71 Noah Gong 422 [1] 0:1 Genn Foong 1129 [1]
72 Brent Winston 1087 [1] 1:0 James Meaphan [1]
73 Clarise Koh 1038 [1] 0:1 Marat Nuriev [1]
74 Tristan Wright [1] .5:.5 David Mollica 1029 [.5]
75 Mark Lin 550 [.5] .5:.5 Nicholas G Mann 1206 [.5]
76 Greig Edwards 1026 [0] 1:0 Tom Accola 988 [0]
77 Matthew Cervenjak 789 [0] 1:0 BYE

Chernz
04-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Pairings for Round 5 U1600

51 Dawen Shi 1466 [4] : Edward Naoumov 1483 [4]
52 Calvin Bennett 1567 [3.5] : Nikola Ivanov 1539 [3]
53 Cedric Koh 1376 [3.5] : Chris J Brown 1519 [3]
54 A(Tony) C Baldwin 1340 [3] : Norman Greenwood 1452 [3]
55 Carla Wettstein 1450 [3] : John L Radovan 1322 [3]
56 Jonathan Ren 1392 [3] : John A Baker 1276 [3]
57 Philip Patterson 1310 [3] : Anton Smirnov 1440 [2.5]
58 Daniel McGowan 1350 [2.5] : Ian B Wechsler 1589 [2.5]
59 Jerry Xu 1069 [2.5] : Kinto Wan 1387 [2.5]
60 Frank Low 1549 [2] : Eliel Barcelona [2.5]
61 Patrick Beahan 1305 [2] : Eddy Katnic 1482 [2]
62 Mark Cervenjak 1299 [2] : Peter K Hannagan 1471 [2]
63 Mary E Wilkie 1195 [2] : Owen Roach 1463 [2]
64 Genn Foong 1129 [2] : Michael J Tracey 1450 [2]
65 David Hughes 1367 [2] : William Bower [2]
66 Marat Nuriev [2] : Gerry V Bell 1346 [2]
67 Brent Winston 1087 [2] : Tony Spirov 1311 [2]
68 Lindsay Went 1278 [1.5] : Tim Li [2]
69 Roger W Jeffreys 1517 [1.5] : Tristan Wright [1.5]
70 Valsalan Karayi 1430 [1.5] : Ian L Hendry 1386 [1]
71 Nicholas G Mann 1206 [1] : Noah Gong 422 [1]
72 Jamie-Lee Guo 548 [1] : Clarise Koh 1038 [1]
73 David Mollica 1029 [1] : Jesse Meaphan [1]
74 William Gong 320 [1] : Greig Edwards 1026 [1]
75 James Meaphan [1] : Matthew Cervenjak 789 [1]
76 Dylan Siow-Lee 598 [1] : Mark Lin 550 [1]
77 Tom Accola 988 [0] 1:0 BYE

Chernz
04-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Results Round 4 Open

1 Sales, Jesse Noel 2340 [3] 1:0 Chapman, Mark 2402 [3]
2 Mandla, Blair 2116 [3] 0:1 Smirnov, Vladimir 2372 [3]
3 Wohl, Aleksander H 2342 [3] 1:0 Rout, Ian C 1949 [3]
4 Illingworth, Max 2250 [2.5] .5:.5 Morris, James 2089 [3]
5 Kong, Adrian [2.5] 0:1 Hu, Jason 2182 [2.5]
6 Broekhuyse, Paul 2116 [2.5] 0:1 Chan, Jason 2055 [2.5]
7 Xie, George 2397 [2] 1:0 Furst, Andrew 2062 [2]
8 Rej, Tomek 2330 [2] 1:0 Harp, Joel 2031 [2]
9 Voon, Richard 1976 [2] 1:0 Lyell, Mark 2287 [2]
10 Ayvazyan, Armen 2232 [2] 1:0 Nilsson, Lars Kjoller 2030 [2]
11 Stojic, Dusan 2219 [2] 1:0 Dunn, Michael Gl 1986 [2]
12 Sheldrick, Kevin 2161 [2] 1:0 Van Der Wal, Fritz W 1944 [2]
13 Svendsen, Peter 2007 [2] 0:1 Schon, Eugene 2115 [2]
14 Krstic, Slobodan 2064 [2] .5:.5 Cox, Barry [2]
15 Bolens, Johny 2180 [1.5] 1:0 Fry, Peter 1925 [1.5]
16 Ruan, Jack 1908 [1.5] 0:1 Jakirlic, Nermin 2162 [1.5]
17 Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija 2102 [1.5] 0:1 Caron, Damien 1914 [1.5]
18 Mortensen, Henrik 2022 [1.5] .5:.5 Tan, Kevin [1.5]
19 Glissan, Paul 1767 [1.5] .5:.5 Lovejoy, David 2014 [1.5]
20 Slidziunas, John [1.5] 0:1 Stojic, Svetozar 1972 [1.5]
21 Davis, Tony J 1967 [1.5] 1:0 Baterowicz, Mark 1727 [1.5]
22 Canfell, Mike J 1931 [1.5] 1:0 Wang, Oscar [1.5]
23 Cuellar, Chris [1.5] 0:1 Ali, Mosaddeque 1943 [1]
24 Nowak, Miroslaw 2064 [1] 1:0 Mejzini, Jack [1]
25 Weller, Tony 1985 [1] 1:0 Zoppi, Mario [1]
26 Mcgregor, Allan [1] 1:0 Wan, Dennis 1930 [1]
27 Lilly, Richard 1915 [1] .5:.5 Ruan, Harry [1]
28 Stokes, Mark C [1] 0:1 Redgrave, John 1882 [1]
29 Feduniw, Terry [1] 0:1 Rachmadi, Herman 1840 [1]
30 Tombak, Mikhail [1] 0:1 Bleicher, Horst 1840 [1]
31 Schuetz, Fred [1] 0:1 Myers, Stephen P 1807 [1]
32 Encel, Benjamin 1781 [1] +:- Gibbon, Grahame [1]
33 Abbott, Peter 1858 [.5] 1:0 Vogelmann, Arno [.5]
34 Papp, Alexander [.5] 0:1 Russell, Luthien 1786 [.5]
35 Guo, Emma 1778 [.5] 1:0 Buciu, Aurel-John [.5]
36 Javor, Stephen [.5] .5:.5 Pevzner, Moissei [0]
37 Press, Brian J [0] 0:1 Talum, Lito [0]
38 Anderson, Michael [0] 1:0 BYE

Chernz
04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Pairings Round 5 Open

1 Smirnov, Vladimir 2372 [4] : Wohl, Aleksander H 2342 [4]
2 Morris, James 2089 [3.5] : Sales, Jesse Noel 2340 [4]
3 Chan, Jason 2055 [3.5] : Xie, George 2397 [3]
4 Chapman, Mark 2402 [3] : Sheldrick, Kevin 2161 [3]
5 Rej, Tomek 2330 [3] : Mandla, Blair 2116 [3]
6 Schon, Eugene 2115 [3] : Illingworth, Max 2250 [3]
7 Rout, Ian C 1949 [3] : Ayvazyan, Armen 2232 [3]
8 Stojic, Dusan 2219 [3] : Voon, Richard 1976 [3]
9 Cox, Barry [2.5] : Bolens, Johny 2180 [2.5]
10 Jakirlic, Nermin 2162 [2.5] : Davis, Tony J 1967 [2.5]
11 Canfell, Mike J 1931 [2.5] : Broekhuyse, Paul 2116 [2.5]
12 Caron, Damien 1914 [2.5] : Krstic, Slobodan 2064 [2.5]
13 Stojic, Svetozar 1972 [2.5] : Kong, Adrian [2.5]
14 Van Der Wal, Fritz W 1944 [2] : Lyell, Mark 2287 [2]
15 Ali, Mosaddeque 1943 [2] : Nowak, Miroslaw 2064 [2]
16 Furst, Andrew 2062 [2] : Rachmadi, Herman 1840 [2]
17 Harp, Joel 2031 [2] : Redgrave, John 1882 [2]
18 Nilsson, Lars Kjoller 2030 [2] : Bleicher, Horst 1840 [2]
19 Myers, Stephen P 1807 [2] : Mortensen, Henrik 2022 [2]
20 Lovejoy, David 2014 [2] : Mcgregor, Allan [2]
21 Encel, Benjamin 1781 [2] : Svendsen, Peter 2007 [2]
22 Dunn, Michael Gl 1986 [2] : Glissan, Paul 1767 [2]
23 Tan, Kevin [2] : Weller, Tony 1985 [2]
24 Baterowicz, Mark 1727 [1.5] : Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija 2102 [1.5]
25 Fry, Peter 1925 [1.5] : Guo, Emma 1778 [1.5]
26 Slidziunas, John [1.5] : Lilly, Richard 1915 [1.5]
27 Wang, Oscar [1.5] : Ruan, Jack 1908 [1.5]
28 Ruan, Harry [1.5] : Abbott, Peter 1858 [1.5]
29 Russell, Luthien 1786 [1.5] : Cuellar, Chris [1.5]
30 Wan, Dennis 1930 [1] : Javor, Stephen [1]
31 Zoppi, Mario [1] : Feduniw, Terry [1]
32 Mejzini, Jack [1] : Tombak, Mikhail [1]
33 Talum, Lito [1] : Schuetz, Fred [1]
34 Anderson, Michael [1] : Stokes, Mark C [1]
35 Pevzner, Moissei [.5] : Buciu, Aurel-John [.5]
36 Vogelmann, Arno [.5] : Papp, Alexander [.5]
37 Press, Brian J [0] 1:0 BYE
38 Hu, Jason 2182 [3.5] .5:0 BYE

Adamski
04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Take a look at live game 2 folks and tell me why did James Morris resign? I don't think he lost on time. I wouldn't have resigned that position.

Capablanca-Fan
04-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Take a look at live game 2 folks and tell me why did James Morris resign? I don't think he lost on time. I wouldn't have resigned that position.
How would you stop ...Nd5 winning the Pf4 or forcing a won P endgame?

Adamski
04-01-2009, 05:49 PM
How would you stop ...Nd5 winning the Pf4 or forcing a won P endgame?True. That's why I am only 1555...The outside passed pawn is too strong once the minor pieces come off.
Are you posting from Phillip Island, Jono?

Garrett
04-01-2009, 05:50 PM
yeah - Fritz was giving +3.5 to Black

Adamski
04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Rincewind in Round 4 recovered well to draw. Earlier he was clearly worse. So on 2.5 out of 4. Playing his 5th v the grand swindler Jonny Bolens.

Capablanca-Fan
04-01-2009, 06:12 PM
True. That's why I am only 1555...The outside passed pawn is too strong once the minor pieces come off.
Yes. White's opening was good, but then all he wanted to do was swap off, making concessions every time. With experience, he will learn that this is not a guaranteed way to draw with a much higher rated player.

Are you posting from Phillip Island, Jono?
No, I start there tomorrow.

Capablanca-Fan
04-01-2009, 06:18 PM

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.h3 Na5 10.Bc2 d5 11.exd5 e4 12.Bxe4 Nxe4 13.Rxe4 Bb7 14.d4 Re8 15.Bf4 Nc4 16.b3 Nb6 17.Re1 Nxd5 18.Bg3 Bf6 19.Rxe8+ Qxe8 20.Qd3 Rd8 21.Nbd2 c5 22.Ne4 cxd4 23.cxd4 Qc6 24.Qd2 Ne7 25.Re1 Nf5 26.Nxf6+ Qxf6 27.Be5 Qg6 28.Qg5 Qxg5 29.Nxg5 f6 30.Ne6 Re8 31.Nc5 Bc8 32.Nd3 fxe5 33.dxe5 Kf7 34.f4 Rd8 35.Nc5 Rd2 36.Ne4 Rc2 37.Rd1 Ke7 38.g4 Bb7 39.Nf2 Ne3 40.Re1 Ng2 41.Rd1 Nxf4 42.a4 Rc1 0-1
As a keen Marshall player, I can't recommend this delayed version. White doesn't have to exchange his defensive N or weaken his K-side.

Cox - Weller. Amazing stuff as Barry is at one stage bashing away a rook for pawn down and for much of the game is presumably objectively lost but the pressure is eventually too much for the opponent who goes down in spectacular fashion (47...Kd8 is disastrous; ...Kf8 still apparently draws).

59. Qxf5+ Kc6 60. Qc8+ Kb5 61. Qb8+ Kc5 62. Qxd6+ Kxd6 63. Kf2 Ke6 64. Ke3 1-0
White's opening was rather too easy-going, and Black could have obtained a comfortable game by 8... dxc4 giving White an IQP without much for it. But by move 12, White was much better with a mobile Q-side majority, and this advantage would have been greater after 13. Bxc6 weakening Black's control of e5. 16. Ne5 was an unforced error giving away a good P. After that, more material was dropped, and Black really didn't pay sufficient attention later on.

Adamski
04-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Since it hasn't been cited for a while, here is the web site for the Open and the U 1600.
www.australianchessopen.com.
"Live" link gives live games, all of which will now be starting at 11 am.

Mokum
04-01-2009, 07:59 PM
We have two clear leaders now after round 5:
Jesse Noel Sales in the open, and Edward Naoumov in the ncc both have a 100% score!

All scores, crosstables and round 6 draw are up on the website again.
It's becoming a routine.

Mokum
04-01-2009, 08:06 PM
And I almost forgot.
Most of todays games are available now too, more to follow tomorrow.
Happy analyzing.

stevenlhs
05-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Watched this interesting game yesterday - White made a blunder on move 38; should have won the game but ended up losing as a result.

Adamski
05-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Black in that game was a visitor from France. See the games on the web site.

Big upset today - Eugene Schon beat IM George Xie in a very tactical and often to me unclear game.

Kaitlin
05-01-2009, 02:01 PM
... a very tactical and often to me unclear game.

Thats the kind I want to see.. hope Kevin pgn's it when he gets a chance

Adamski
05-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Thats the kind I want to see.. hope Kevin pgn's it when he gets a chanceIt will be pgn'ed on the web site. Kevin was in the playing room today.

Mokum
05-01-2009, 03:27 PM
The round 6 results and round 7 draw are up on the website again.
Aleksander Wohl and Calvin Bennett now lead the respective tournaments with 5.5 out of 6!

Mokum
05-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Most games up to round 6 are up again as well, to view with the online viewer or click on the Download games in PGN link to download the latest PGN file.

Thanks all

fiddling
05-01-2009, 03:41 PM

Big upset today - Eugene Schon beat IM George Xie in a very tactical and often to me unclear game.
:D

It is very sad to see George losing 2 games so far. Where is his Olympiad
form?

Garvinator
05-01-2009, 04:28 PM

form?
Unfortunately George's did not play to his rating at the Olympiad.

Rincewind
05-01-2009, 05:56 PM

Yeah I'm missing quite a bit at the moment. Dropping the pawn in this game made me irritated and so I went on a bit of an attack. Somehow it came off but it is not to be recommended.

After this game I got into some early trouble against Bob Krstic but somehow managed to salvage a draw. Then playing Johnny Bolens I had what I thought was a nice game but totally blundered. Probably my worse move (in a rated game) for a couple of years.

Today I was playing Peter Svendsen from Denmark. I played abysmally in the opening but somehow managed to get back into the game. However, this time I blundered again in the ending missing a nice tactic (although I had much more time on the clock). I think I had a draw by playing my queen behind ranks and checking. Certainly it was a better open than the way I played.

Looking forward to the rest day (though I will be going to work) and hopefully regroup before the second half of the competition.

It seems to be a smoothly run tournament so far. Very few problems although the lights did go out in the auditorium once and I had a clock malfunction in my game with Johnny Bolens but apart from that, its all been good.

Basil
05-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Carry on Barry - you (and the others) are all doing very well :clap:

BearDrinkingBeer
05-01-2009, 06:51 PM

This is an interesting game. Here are some turning points in the game which I quickly checked with my computer.

17.e6 is a slight improvement, although Black should still maintain the balance after 17...f6 18.Qe2 Bg6.

18...Qxa2?? is a blunder from Black. 18...Rb8 is better, with equality.

19.Ng5! would have given White a winning advantage after 19...Bg6 20.e6 Rb8 21.exf7+ Kh8 22.Re1.

20.Kg2? leaves White clearly worse. 20.e6 fxe6 21.Qe2 is better, with a clear advantage.

White is already clearly worse, but 24.Ra4? moves into a lost endgame.

Adamski
05-01-2009, 08:09 PM
This is an interesting game. Here are some turning points in the game which I quickly checked with my computer.

17.e6 is a slight improvement, although Black should still maintain the balance after 17...f6 18.Qe2 Bg6.

19.Ng5! would have given White a winning advantage after 19...Bg6 20.e6 Rb8 21.exf7+ Kh8 22.Re1.

20.Kg2? leaves White clearly worse. 20.e6 fxe6 21.Qe2 is better, with a clear advantage.

White is already clearly worse, but 24.Ra4? moves into a lost endgame.Yes. I often strayed to this board and I saw Eugene play 18..Qxa2(??). At the time 19 Ng5 looked like a strong reply due to Qa8 being kaput for Black with the weak back rank, hence ruling out Bxg5. I was astonished that George did not play that. He lost his way from here. White's weak looking 24th was of course Na4.

MichaelBaron
05-01-2009, 09:05 PM

White is already clearly worse, but 24.Ra4? moves into a lost endgame.

Full credit should go to Eugene. Computer Analysis may be against him but its not easy to find best continuations Over the board.

MichaelBaron
05-01-2009, 09:05 PM

form?

Actually, in the olympiad..he lost many more games :)

Adamski
06-01-2009, 08:50 AM
The Australian Open Lightning Championship is on today. Entries close at 1.45 PM. the event will be 11 rounds starting s soon after 2 PM as the draw is made.
I encourage anyone in Sydney today and not working to enter! Entry $25 or $20 concession. The time limit for all games is 5-5.

Today is a rest day in the Australian Open Championship and the norths chess club Centenary Under 1600 Championship. Games for both those tournaments resume at 11 am tomorrow.

black
06-01-2009, 11:11 AM
5-5 seems like a confusing way to write the time control. I haven't heard of a lightning tournament with a 5 second increment, and assume that you actually meant 5 minutes each with no increment.

5 0 is probably a more familiar way to write it, or 5-min, or 5 minutes for all moves ... but 5-5 what is that?

antichrist
06-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Indeed! and thanks. I checked out both games (I wouldn't have without your prompting) and was delighted to see (with respect to both opponents) that both of the games were shellackings - especially the first. That first game needs to go into a Tromp book illustrating the dangers of underestimating same.

Interestingly to me, the classicists keep denying the Tromp's dangers, while the Tromp exponents (I can only dream of being one) keep supplying the evidence ;)

Carry on!

Gunnar, do you want Tromp inscribed on your gravestone - it will probably coz your death in chess

Adamski
06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
5-5 seems like a confusing way to write the time control. I haven't heard of a lightning tournament with a 5 second increment, and assume that you actually meant 5 minutes each with no increment.

5 0 is probably a more familiar way to write it, or 5-min, or 5 minutes for all moves ... but 5-5 what is that?You are right. It is 5-0. 5 mins chess with no increment.

Davidflude
06-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Gunnar, do you want Tromp inscribed on your gravestone - it will probably coz your death in chess

Which book do you recommend on the Tromp?

Basil
06-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Which book do you recommend on the Tromp?
Hi David, I assume that's meant for me - AC wouldn't know a Tromp book let alone know how to tie his shoelaces ;)

I have to nick off now, but perhaps I can remember to answer in a Tromp thread.

Cheers
Howard

MichaelBaron
06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi David, I assume that's meant for me - AC wouldn't know a Tromp book let alone know how to tie his shoelaces ;)

I have to nick off now, but perhaps I can remember to answer in a Tromp thread.

Cheers
Howard

Hodgson Book used to be regarded as best one.

Desmond
06-01-2009, 02:24 PM
There is a Hodgson video that is quite entertaining.

BearDrinkingBeer
06-01-2009, 04:15 PM
There is a Hodgson video that is quite entertaining.
Julian Hodgson really is the expert in this line. Nakamura also plays it from time to time. I believe the latest work is The Trompowsky (2nd Edition) by English GM Nigel Davies.

Mokum
06-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Jesse Noel Sales won the Australian Open Lightning Tournament after an exciting play-off with Max Illingworth. The final standings and the crosstables are up on the website:

Garrett
06-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Jesse Noel Sales won the Australian Open Lightning Tournament after an exciting play-off with Max Illingworth. The final standings and the crosstables are up on the website:

Nice to see Damien Norris on the list !

does anyone know if he is back in Oz permanently ?

Cheers
Garrett.

Watto
06-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Cheers
Garrett.
He's just on holidays here. He's living in Thailand at the moment.

ER
06-01-2009, 06:51 PM
ops sorry, obviously i am in the wrong thread, was looking for Aus Open latest!
CAGLES

arosar
06-01-2009, 07:26 PM
In that Aussie Championships that IM West won, played in UTS, a certain player fell asleep. The opponent of that player was Mr Norris, I think it was.

AR

paulb
06-01-2009, 08:52 PM
As a keen Marshall player, I can't recommend this delayed version. White doesn't have to exchange his defensive N or weaken his K-side.

What do you recommend against it? I faced it a few rounds later and battled to draw.

Garrett
07-01-2009, 06:14 AM
He's just on holidays here. He's living in Thailand at the moment.

Thanks Watto !!

cheers
Garrett.

Sutek
07-01-2009, 06:59 AM

Cheers
Garrett.

He will be at Randwick races today if you (or anyone else) are interested in catching up with him :)

Adamski
07-01-2009, 07:11 AM
The organising committee has decided to offer an additional prize. $200 for the brilliancy prize, one prize open to games from both events.

All contestants and spectators, anyone on chess chat who has viewed quality games, plus our arbiters or any other individuals that would like to participate can post up to 3 votes (those on chess chat can PM me). Note that all the games played so far appear on our website.

All nominated games will be passed on to the current NSW Champion Greg Canfell (Shirty) & the Judging panel chosen by him for a final decision. People can vote for any 3 games, including their own.

All submissions will end on this Saturday at midnight, leaving the last day of played games (Sunday) for Greg's judging panel to review the games nominated and make their decision.

This procedure is to facilitate the voting process as the time factor is critical because the final decision must be made between the receipt of nominations & the Closing Ceremony.

Also, thanks to Shaun Press we now have 3 DGT boards operating for the live games for the remainder of the Open.

Adamski
07-01-2009, 08:49 AM
What do you recommend against it? I faced it a few rounds later and battled to draw.Hi Paul,
Jono is away at a CMI conference at Phillip Island, where today he will play a blindfold simul - which The Snail King may well be the "go-between man" for. So just warning you that you may not get an immediate answer to your question!

Adamski
07-01-2009, 03:06 PM
In the Open IM Wohl and IM Chapman won; Sales and Smirnov drew and Illingworth and Schon drew.

lemonruski
07-01-2009, 03:13 PM
1 Wohl, Aleksander H 2342 [6.5] : Chapman, Mark 2402 [5.5]
2 Smirnov, Vladimir 2372 [5.5] : Schon, Eugene 2115 [5.5]
3 Sales, Jesse Noel 2340 [5.5] : Davis, Tony J 1967 [5.5]
4 Xie, George 2397 [5] : Hu, Jason 2182 [5]
5 Broekhuyse, Paul 2116 [5] : Rej, Tomek 2330 [5]
6 Illingworth, Max 2250 [5] : Mandla, Blair 2116 [5]
7 Lyell, Mark 2287 [4.5] : Harp, Joel 2031 [4.5]
8 Lovejoy, David 2014 [4.5] : Bolens, Johny 2180 [4.5]
9 Svendsen, Peter 2007 [4.5] : Morris, James 2089 [4.5]
10 Rout, Ian C 1949 [4] : Ayvazyan, Armen 2232 [4]
11 Stojic, Dusan 2219 [4] : Caron, Damien 1914 [4]
12 Sheldrick, Kevin 2161 [4] : Encel, Benjamin 1781 [4]
13 Van Der Wal, Fritz W 1944 [4] : Furst, Andrew 2062 [4]
14 Ruan, Jack 1908 [4] : Chan, Jason 2055 [4]
15 Mortensen, Henrik 2022 [4] : Redgrave, John 1882 [4]
16 Voon, Richard 1976 [4] : Tan, Kevin [4]
17 Ali, Mosaddeque 1943 [3.5] : Jakirlic, Nermin 2162 [3.5]
18 Dizdarevic, Mehmedalija 2102 [3.5] : Stojic, Svetozar 1972 [3.5]
19 Mcgregor, Allan [3.5] : Krstic, Slobodan 2064 [3.5]
20 Myers, Stephen P 1807 [3.5] : Nilsson, Lars Kjoller 2030 [3.5]
21 Lilly, Richard 1915 [3.5] : Kong, Adrian [3.5]
22 Nowak, Miroslaw 2064 [3] : Cox, Barry [3]
23 Pevzner, Moissei [3] : Dunn, Michael Gl 1986 [3]
24 Papp, Alexander [3] : Weller, Tony 1985 [3]
25 Canfell, Mike J 1931 [3] : Ruan, Harry [3]
26 Glissan, Paul 1767 [3] : Fry, Peter 1925 [3]
27 Abbott, Peter 1858 [3] : Mejzini, Jack [3]
28 Guo, Emma 1778 [3] : Bleicher, Horst 1840 [3]
29 Javor, Stephen [3] : Rachmadi, Herman 1840 [2.5]
30 Cuellar, Chris [2.5] : Wan, Dennis 1930 [2.5]
31 Talum, Lito [2.5] : Russell, Luthien 1786 [2.5]
32 Wang, Oscar [2.5] : Zoppi, Mario [2.5]
33 Tombak, Mikhail [2] : Baterowicz, Mark 1727 [2]
34 Feduniw, Terry [2] : Slidziunas, John [2]
35 Stokes, Mark C [2] : Press, Brian J [2]
36 Buciu, Aurel-John [2] : Schuetz, Fred [2]
37 Vogelmann, Arno [.5] : Anderson, Michael [1]

lemonruski
07-01-2009, 04:22 PM
51 Anton Smirnov 1440 [5.5] : Calvin Bennett 1567 [6.5]
52 Cedric Koh 1376 [6] : Dawen Shi 1466 [5.5]
53 Ian B Wechsler 1589 [5] : Peter K Hannagan 1471 [5]
54 Roger W Jeffreys 1517 [4.5] : John L Radovan 1322 [4.5]
55 Patrick Beahan 1305 [4.5] : Owen Roach 1463 [4.5]
56 Norman Greenwood 1452 [4.5] : Jerry Xu 1069 [4.5]
57 Kinto Wan 1387 [4.5] : Philip Patterson 1310 [4.5]
58 A(Tony) C Baldwin 1340 [4] : Frank Low 1549 [4]
59 Carla Wettstein 1450 [4] : Mark Cervenjak 1299 [4]
60 Eliel Barcelona [4] : Jonathan Ren 1392 [4]
61 David Mollica 1029 [4] : Daniel McGowan 1350 [4]
62 William Bower [3.5] : David Hughes 1367 [3.5]
63 John A Baker 1276 [3.5] : Lindsay Went 1278 [3.5]
64 Brent Winston 1087 [3.5] : Ian L Hendry 1386 [3]
65 Nikola Ivanov 1539 [3] : Dylan Siow-Lee 598 [3]
66 Chris J Brown 1519 [3] : Tim Li [3]
67 Michael J Tracey 1450 [3] : Marat Nuriev [3]
68 Clarise Koh 1038 [3] : Gerry V Bell 1346 [3]
69 Greig Edwards 1026 [3] : Mary E Wilkie 1195 [3]
70 Genn Foong 1129 [3] : Tristan Wright [3]
71 Noah Gong 422 [2.5] : Valsalan Karayi 1430 [2.5]
72 Tony Spirov 1311 [2.5] : Nicholas G Mann 1206 [2]
73 Jamie-Lee Guo 548 [2] : Matthew Cervenjak 789 [2]
74 Mark Lin 550 [2] : William Gong 320 [2]
75 Jesse Mepham [2] : James Mepham [1]
76 Tom Accola 988 [1] 1:0 BYE

lemonruski
07-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks for fixing up the presentation of the open draw Bill!
If you have time, please fix this one too :)

Adamski
07-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Apologies, folks. The DGT board program crashed this afternoon. Hopefully, all will be right again for tomorrow.

Adamski
07-01-2009, 05:12 PM
In case anyone is wondering why there is a Bye in the U 1600 draw now, it is sad to report that a player had to be expelled from the tournament for cheating. That player appealed the decision of the arbiter which appeal was dismissed by the appeals committee, upholding the arbiter's decision by a 3-0 vote. See this link for a thread discussing this expulsion in more detail: http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=9391&highlight=Expulsion

On a brighter note, we were visited today by a senior reporter and photographer from the local newspaper, The Manly Daily. Expect to see some coverage in tomorrow's paper. Their web site is http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/ In fact, 2 photos (Noah Gong, 6, Anton Smirnov, 7) and a story are already on the web site! See http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/his-emotions-in-check/

Mokum
07-01-2009, 05:12 PM
All the games, the rounds, the draws etc. are available again.

Adamski
08-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Victorian junior Eugene Schon collected his second big scalp of the tournament when he defeated FM Vladimir Smirnov today. The game is on the DGT display. Speaking personally, I did not understand drug's Na2 and soon after Black had a position with a draw by repeated checks in the bag and the possibility of more. Later drug blundered and lost.

Other top results: IM Wohl - IM Chapman draw, FM Sales beat Davis, Paul B had a nice win over FM Rej. Illingworth and Mandla drew a game which came down to Max's 2 N's v a f pawn on 6th rank. There was no way to win. Bl;air had sacrificed a piece for a pawn on 2 sepaarte occasions when previously Max was a pawn up only with 2 N's + 2 P's v B, N and 1 P.

Rincewind went down to former Manly player Miroslaw Nowak (an active junior coach making a comeback in this event) in a game where RW was always worse once tactics led to the loss of material.

In the NCC U 1600 Anton Smirnov somewhat made up for his dad's defeat by defeating previous leader, Calvin Bennett.

The Open web site updates can't be done yet as the Rout - Azvazyan game started significantly late by agreement and is still going. Ian has much the best of it with a Knight firmly settled on d6.

Mokum
08-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Calvin Bennett, Dawen Shi and Anton Smirnov are now joined leaders of the ncc under 1600 tournament. The results, standings and draw are now up on the website.

Mokum
08-01-2009, 04:19 PM
The Open draw and results are now available too, Aleksander Wohl is still in the lead with 7 points.

Mokum
08-01-2009, 04:23 PM
And the games are up again as well, almost 500 now!

BearDrinkingBeer
08-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Victorian junior Eugene Schon collected his second big scalp of the tournament when he defeated FM Vladimir Smirnov today. The game is on the DGT display. Speaking personally, I did not understand drug's Na2 and soon after Black had a position with a draw by repeated checks in the bag and the possibility of more. Later drug blundered and lost.

Other top results: IM Wohl - IM Chapman draw, FM Sales beat Davis, Paul B had a nice win over FM Rej. Illingworth and Mandla drew a game which came down to Max's 2 N's v a f pawn on 6th rank. There was no way to win. Bl;air had sacrificed a piece for a pawn on 2 sepaarte occasions when previously Max was a pawn up only with 2 N's + 2 P's v B, N and 1 P.

Rincewind went down to former Manly player Miroslaw Nowak (an active junior coach making a comeback in this event) in a game where RW was always worse once tactics led to the loss of material.

In the NCC U 1600 Anton Smirnov somewhat made up for his dad's defeat by defeating previous leader, Calvin Bennett.

The Open web site updates can't be done yet as the Rout - Azvazyan game started significantly late by agreement and is still going. Ian has much the best of it with a Knight firmly settled on d6.
George Xie looks to be back in contention, only 1 point off the leader. Aleksander Wohl is in a difficult position as a draw would allow others to catch up and a loss would allow others to surpass him.

Adamski
08-01-2009, 05:15 PM
George Xie looks to be back in contention, only 1 point off the leader. Aleksander Wohl is in a difficult position as a draw would allow others to catch up and a loss would allow others to surpass him.
I'd still rather be in IM Alex's position than anyone else's in the tournament!

Capablanca-Fan
09-01-2009, 09:21 AM
In case anyone is wondering why there is a Bye in the U 1600 draw now, it is sad to report that a player had to be expelled from the tournament for cheating. That player appealed the decision of the arbiter which appeal was dismissed by the appeals committee, upholding the arbiter's decision by a 3-0 vote.
Justifiably so. Let all other cheats beware!

On a brighter note, we were visited today by a senior reporter and photographer from the local newspaper, The Manly Daily. Expect to see some coverage in tomorrow's paper. Their web site is http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/ In fact, 2 photos (Noah Gong, 6, Anton Smirnov, 7) and a story are already on the web site! See http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/his-emotions-in-check/
Anton Vladimirovich is playing in a very mature style and holds the joint lead.

Intuition
09-01-2009, 10:03 AM
The coverage of this tourney is absolutley the best, ever better than more popular events such as Doberl and SIO (with the minor games being posted ect). A big well done to the organisers :)

MichaelBaron
09-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Justifiably so. Let all other cheats beware!

Anton Vladimirovich is playing in a very mature style and holds the joint lead.

Anton Vladimirovich :) I am impressed with Jono's Russian :clap:

Capablanca-Fan
09-01-2009, 01:05 PM
What do you recommend against it? I faced it a few rounds later and battled to draw.
I see that you declined the gambit, and it's hard for White to gain an advantage that way. Stojić's acceptance was doing well for quite a while, it seems.

lemonruski
09-01-2009, 01:40 PM
The coverage of this tourney is absolutley the best, ever better than more popular events such as Doberl and SIO (with the minor games being posted ect). A big well done to the organisers :)

Ronald Scott is surely the world's fastest person at entering games into chessbase - I have seen him enter 10 games with some brief comments in the time it took another player (who was actually being paid to do the bulletins) to enter 1 game without comments. If you are a tournament organiser and are looking for some speedy game entry, you should hire Ron!

Another reason for the speedy posting of draws and games is that the arbiters and organisers of this event have made it a priority - number 1 priority is get the draws up, number 2 is get the games up, number 3 is get dinner. I have many times at tournaments observed arbiters having these priorities the wrong way around (not necessarily at the tournaments named above, but important tournaments none the less).

Also worth noting is that if you don't "fiddle" with the draw, you save a lot of time and get it up much faster. I would say that most people think it's more fair anyway, and everyone is happier just to know who their opponent is sooner.

The organisers and arbiters of this event are certainly doing a great job!

Watto
09-01-2009, 02:40 PM
The organisers and arbiters of this event are certainly doing a great job!
Yes, it's amazing and much appreciated... :clap:

Adamski
09-01-2009, 04:14 PM
After an exciting round, 5 players are tied for the lead in the Open: IM Wohl, IM Chapman, IM Xie, FM Sales and junior Eugene Schon. Today George beat Alex (Xie has 7 wins and 2 losses out of 9 games!), Mark C beat Paul Br (in a very tactical Najdorf where it seems Paul fell into a book trap - as long as you have the latest book!), Jesse and Eugene drew and ending where Jesse had 2 B's v 2 N's but Eugene better pawns. 3 Players are only half a point behind them - FM Smirnov, Illingworth and Mandla. Before too long the details will be on the web site. Max is actually the only unbeaten player in the tournament.

Adamski
09-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Ronald Scott is surely the world's fastest person at entering games into chessbase - I have seen him enter 10 games with some brief comments in the time it took another player (who was actually being paid to do the bulletins) to enter 1 game without comments. If you are a tournament organiser and are looking for some speedy game entry, you should hire Ron!

Absolutely, agree! Ron is also a pretty good chess-player. See latest Australasian Chess coverage of Elwood Open tournament where he came second equal with FM Michael Baron (with only IM Stephen Solomon ahead of him, and those behind him including IM Davdi Smerdon, IM Guy West and current giant-killer Eugene Schon). There is also a thread on that event in this BB. See http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=8403&highlight=Elwood+Bank.

Mokum
09-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Ok, all the games, results and draws are available again.
The Open tournament couldn't get much more exciting with 5 joined leaders now, going into the weekend. Anton Smirnov is the proud leader of the Under 1600 tournament.

And thanks everyone for the great feedback you are giving us, it is a pleasure to be part of it all!

Phil Bourke
09-01-2009, 04:33 PM
I think the guys at Manly are setting some new benchmarks in all areas of tournament organisation. Great job and congrats to all involved.

kinderchocolate
09-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Who provided the annotation to Anton Smirnov's games? The analysis was misleading.

Adamski
09-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Who provided the annotation to Anton Smirnov's games? The analysis was misleading."mightymax" is Max Illingworth, who annotated Anton's game today. Other annotators are named by pseudonyms. But they were all quick notes not based on deep analysis. E.g. "I prefer Black". Any annotations provided when there are more than 500 games now can only be fairly superficial so should be checked out for oneself.

Garrett
09-01-2009, 05:48 PM
I think the guys at Manly are setting some new benchmarks in all areas of tournament organisation. Great job and congrats to all involved.

Yes !! :clap:

The Olympiad bulletins stopped after 8 rounds this year.

I'm gonna sponsor the Aust Open next time !

Cheers
Garrett.