Prizes 1st $250 2nd $150 3rd $100
under 1800 $75

All prizes are guaranteed

Cost Elwood club members $30
non-members $35

All enquires/entries Victor Kildisas tel 95707228

MichaelBaron
04-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Will the last round be a) starting at 5 pm or b) finishing at 5 pm?

MichaelBaron
16-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Elwood Rapid Play Championship started today. It was a great pleasure to see Chess CV President and Vice-President (Katrin and Leonid) attend the opening ceremony. It is good to see that CV executives are visiting as many chess clubs as possible. Last time that I met them (incidently it was my last tournament prior to this one) - it was in MCC. Finally, Victorian chess players have executives who do know what is going on in the clubs :clap: . Interestingly, another CV executive member (Victor Kildisas) was also there and not only as an "organizer" but also as a tournament participant.

Despite a fairly low turn-out. Tournament organizers assured the participants that the prize money advertised (the tournament was advertised with guaranteed prize money) is going to be paid off in full. That was another piece of good news as a certain other club (that i am not going to name) used to advertise "guaranteed prize-money" but would attempt to go back on their word later. Thankfully, this practice is no more.

Another highlight of the tournament is participation of some of Victoria's oldest players. Nick Emody is 92 years of age :clap: but still plays very good chess. In round 1, it took me over 50 moves to overcome his resistance. Round 3 saw Nick paired against 82-year old Gregory Katsnelson. This facinating battle ended up in a draw.

After 3 rounds, i am in the lead with 3/3 followed up by a group of players on 2/3 (unfortunately i do not have the tournament crosstable on me so can not reproduce all of the participants names and their respective scores). I must admit i was a bit lucky in my round 3 game against Victor Kuldisas as Victor could have drawn the game with accurate play.

MichaelBaron
23-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Concluding rounds of the Elwood rapid will start today at 1pm. Spectators are welcome.

MichaelBaron
23-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Elwood Rapid Play championship finished today.

I was first on 7/7 with Victor Kildisas finishing comfortable second on 6/7.

When i was leaving the club, the battle for 3d was still very much open with Nick Emodi, Gregory Katsnelson, and Ven Sandler in contention.

Should Nick finish 3d, i believe he will be eligible for the Guiness book of records as the oldest chess player ever to win a prize.:clap:

Leonid Sandler
02-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Elwood Rapid Play Open Championship just concluded last weekend
The winners were
1.Michael Baron 7 out of 7
2.Victor Kildisas 6 points
3.Veniamin Sandler(my dad) 4,5 points
4.Nick Emodi (who is 92 years young!! ) scored 4 points

MichaelBaron
03-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Elwood Rapid Play Open Championship just concluded last weekend
Nick Emodi (who is 92 years young!! ) scored 4 points

Nick's energy level (both over the chess board and in general) is simply incredible. I think we should organize a match between Nick and Victorian U8 champion. This will be a facinating event. My money is on Nick!

Metro
05-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Nick's energy level (both over the chess board and in general) is simply incredible. I think we should organize a match between Nick and Victorian U8 champion. This will be a facinating event. My money is on Nick!

Nick Emodi 1505 v Peter Wallmueller 1085
I think Nick would win.

MichaelBaron
05-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Nick Emodi 1505 v Peter Wallmueller 1085
I think Nick would win.

I think so too..and even more importantly..what a show it would be!