PDA

View Full Version : Anything Happening at MCC in the near Future?

MichaelBaron
29-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Any new events planned at MCC in the near future?:hmm: Surely if a club is open 7 days a week there is space for many different events (allegro, blitz etc.)

If yes, let me know what they are - I miss my favorite club.

eclectic
29-07-2008, 09:45 PM
by the way you're talking you'd think it was trying to emulate the famous manhattan chess club by attempting to become defunct also!!

:confused:

Bereaved
29-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi Michael.

Although I am unaware of any other plans, here are the details of the weekender we are planning to have in September

September: MCC Memorial Weekender a 5 Round Swiss, Sept 20-21st
Time Control: 60 minutes + 30 seconds\move
Sat 20th Sept: Entries close: 10.00 am
Round 1: 11.00 am, Round 2: 3.00 pm; Round 4: 7.00 pm
21st Sept, Round 4: 11.00 am, Round 5: 3.00 pm, prize giving after round 5
Entry fee: $55 full, $45 concession, $25 u/18, less $10 MCC Members.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

eclectic
29-07-2008, 10:01 PM
perhaps the club is in need of a long overdue culture shift ... :hmm:

MichaelBaron
29-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi Michael.

Although I am unaware of any other plans, here are the details of the weekender we are planning to have in September

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Good :clap:

MichaelBaron
12-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Sigh why not bring Saturday Allegro and Friday Blitz Back?

Solo
12-08-2008, 11:44 PM
I used to love the Friday night lightning every week run by Tino Fulgenzi in the late 70s and early 80s. It was great for my chess because there were usually about 13 games and it helped me practise my openings a lot.

Metro
13-08-2008, 03:00 AM
I used to love the Friday night lightning every week run by Tino Fulgenzi in the late 70s and early 80s. It was great for my chess because there were usually about 13 games and it helped me practise my openings a lot.
Who were the other players?

Solo
13-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Ah now you are making me think, and bringing back some fond memories! Emma Basta, of "playing it cool like in Vwarrr-namboool!!" fame (I still say that!!) and the bushy eyebrows. God rest his soul. Mr Raipalis, God rest his soul. Vic Pateras, God rest his soul! He was very friendly. I still have a few Fulgenziism pearls too, as Darryl will tell you! Guy West played occasionally. Malcolm Belletty, a very good player who rarely played longer tournaments. Greg Gatto. Many other players who I'm struggling with the names of now.

ER
13-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Ah now you are making me think, and bringing back some fond memories! Emma Basta, of "playing it cool like in Vwarrr-namboool!!" fame (I still say that!!) and the bushy eyebrows. God rest his soul. Mr Raipalis, God rest his soul. Vic Pateras, God rest his soul! He was very friendly. I still have a few Fulgenziism pearls too, as Darryl will tell you! Guy West played occasionally. Malcolm Belletty, a very good player who rarely played longer tournaments. Greg Gatto. Many other players who I'm struggling with the names of now.

Incredibly moving memories of an unforgettable time! I joined the club in the mid 80s and the Friday night lightnings were very strong even then as they were the Saturday allegros. I was impressed by the playing style and success in lightning by a then young (as he still is now) Chris Kolak, I hope I spell his surname right!
Thanks for bringing us back these great memories Solo, and particularly those of the sadly missed Basta, Raipalis and Pateras.
Cheers and good luck

eclectic
13-08-2008, 09:20 PM
a gentle reminder that thursday sessions for the forthcoming victorian championships and associated tournaments are happening at the MCC in the near future
;)

Metro
13-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the history,Stephen.I find this material valuable.Does anyone know what happened to M.Belletty?I knew him a little but haven't seen him for about 4 years.

MichaelBaron
14-08-2008, 12:12 AM
MCC's past is facinating...but i am more concerned about the future :)

ER
14-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the history,Stephen.I find this material valuable.Does anyone know what happened to M.Belletty?I knew him a little but haven't seen him for about 4 years.

Apparently, he lives with his mum in Perth!