PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Billanook Chess Classic (VIC, Saturday 9th August)

Spiny Norman
18-07-2008, 03:05 PM
When:
Saturday, 9th August 2008
between 10.00am and 3.30pm

Where:
Billanook College Gymnasium
197-199 Cardigan Road Road
Mooroolbark VIC 3138
(Melways ref: 52C2)

What:
Allegro Chess Tournament
7-round Swiss
15 minutes/game for each player (no increment)

Prizes/Trophies:
Total cash prize pool: $2000 *
* subject to expected entry numbers being achieved

Cash prizes and trophies (1st - 3rd) awarded in the following categories:
-- Open (adults may play)
-- Boys U8, U10, U12, U14, U16 and U18
-- Girls U8, U10, U12, U14, U16 and U18

Schedule:
10:00 Play commences
15:00 Awards ceremony

Cost:
Entry Fee: $20.00
*** early birds $15.00 if you register by Friday, 1st August, so be quick! ***

For further information see the Billanook Chess Classic (http://www.billanook.vic.edu.au/v2/Billanook_Chess_Classic_08/Site/Home.html) website, or follow the front page links on the Croydon Chess (http://www.croydonchess.com) website.

The "Billanook Chess Classic" is an initiative of Billanook College (http://www.billanook.vic.edu.au) and is proudly supported by Croydon Chess (http://www.croydonchess.com).

Spiny Norman
18-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Further hopefully helpful information. This tournament will run roughly to the same format as last year, subject to entry numbers. If I recall correctly, we placed some of the age categories together in one Swiss tournament (e.g. you might find several adjacent age groups to be put in one Swiss tournament, depending on how many entries are received for those age brackets). Boys and girls play together in the same division, however separate prizes/awards will be made. The precise formation of "who is in what division" will be made on the day, subject to entry numbers ... but hopefully this gives you all a fair idea of what to expect.

This year we are adding an Open Division, so that adults can play too. Time controls will be the same as for the kids ... Allegro, 15 mins/game, no increments.

You will note that the prize pool is expected to be double this year, a total of $2000 ... this will be subject to receiving sufficient entries, as per the terms and conditions noted on the Billanook Chess Classic website.

Hope to see many of you there. It should be a great day!

C.Antolis
18-07-2008, 09:10 PM
I might play in this if i can make it.

MichaelBaron
18-07-2008, 11:21 PM
How will the prize pool be distributed between the age sections? For instance, what are the expected prizes in the open section?

Spiny Norman
19-07-2008, 08:50 AM
How will the prize pool be distributed between the age sections? For instance, what are the expected prizes in the open section?
I'll try and get that information (I'm not the organiser, so don't know what they have planned). However, if they do it basically the same as last year, the prize money was roughly split with weighting based partly on the number of competitors in each section, partly on the quality of the competitors in that section.

Running the Open section is a new idea and nobody is really sure how it will go, or whether anyone will actually be interested in it.

Anyway, I'll see what I can find out!

Watto
23-07-2008, 10:52 AM
*** early birds $15.00 if you register by Friday, 1st August, so be quick! ***

Hi Spiny. As the venue is actually on our road, it might be fun to walk up the hill and play in the Open but at this point I'm not sure whether we'll be free for the whole day... in which case we might just drop by for a bit and help out/have a look instead. How late can the late entry be? :)

Davidflude
23-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I'll try and get that information (I'm not the organiser, so don't know what they have planned). However, if they do it basically the same as last year, the prize money was roughly split with weighting based partly on the number of competitors in each section, partly on the quality of the competitors in that section.

Running the Open section is a new idea and nobody is really sure how it will go, or whether anyone will actually be interested in it.

Anyway, I'll see what I can find out!

1) congratulations on running this tournament.

2) I have sent out details of the tournament to everybody on the Chess Victoria mailing list

3) adding in an adults section is a great idea. We do this at our monthly Box Hill Allegro tournament. Based on our experience you should have no problems with adults in the draw. The children love to have a mix of adults in the draw. We have had in our adult entry players ranging from IM's to average club players. Hopefully you will have the same sort of response.

4) I may have missed it but giving the melways reference for the venue is a great idea.

Davidflude
27-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Will the new tollway be charging at the date of the tournament. If so I will need to get a day pass.

Spiny Norman
28-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Will the new tollway be charging at the date of the tournament. If so I will need to get a day pass.
It will be ... tolling started yesterday.

Watto
28-07-2008, 10:21 AM
How late can the late entry be? :)
Hi again Spiny. The reason I ask is that on the application form it unequivocally states that you have to enter by 1 August 2008. In small print, however, they allow for a late entry fee so it would be useful to know how late people can enter. Can players enter on the day or is this not possible? Thanks.

Spiny Norman
28-07-2008, 11:32 AM
I am pretty sure that entry on the day will be possible, but is being discouraged as it ties up organisational resources. But I don't know for sure, so I will pass the question along to the organisers and await a reply.

Spiny Norman
28-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Melway Map Reference: 52 C2

ER
28-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi Spiny, very good promotional campaign. Please include some info on public transport. I work early on that Sat morning and I am just a stone's (literally) throw from Flinders Street Station. Will the train get me anywhere near the venue?
Cheers and good luck!

Garvinator
28-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi Spiny, very good promotional campaign. Please include some info on public transport. I work early on that Sat morning and I am just a stone's (literally) throw from Flinders Street Station. Will the train get me anywhere near the venue?
Cheers and good luck!
Have you tried looking at: http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

Dougy
28-07-2008, 07:26 PM
The train will get you there most of the way - the nearest station is Mooroolbark on the Lilydale line. For most people it'll be a bit too far to walk from the station. There is the telebus: here (http://www.croydonbusgroup.com/Area%203.htm).

MichaelBaron
28-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Cheers and good luck!

You are not only stone throw away from Flinders station :D . You are also:

a bullet away from Federation Square NGV
a missile away from City gardens
a swim away from Southbank

Watto
28-07-2008, 10:39 PM
The train will get you there most of the way - the nearest station is Mooroolbark on the Lilydale line. For most people it'll be a bit too far to walk from the station. There is the telebus: here (http://www.croydonbusgroup.com/Area%203.htm).
JK, just in case you did feel like walking... the walk to Mooroolbark station from our place in Cardigan Road takes me about 17 to 18 minutes (a fairly fast, freezing morning kind of walk.) Billanook College is another 5 minutes so the whole walk should take no more than 25 minutes. Basically you leave the station and pass the Coles supermarket on your left along Bryce avenue, keep going passing a small oval and community centre etc on your left, cross Hull Road towards a small park and walk up the slight slope for about 20 metres and then left into Cardigan Road. If that doesn't make sense, the Melways should make more sense. :)

Watto
01-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi Michael,

Guy and I entered today. We received this information about the open/adult secton of the tournament from the organisers. It will be advertised on the site on Monday too.

Adult prizemoney subject to a minimum 10 entries per division/rating group.

Open division:
1st $250

2nd $150

3rd $100

Rating group 1:
1st $120

2nd $80

3rd $50

Rating Group 2:
1st $120

2nd $80

3rd $50

The adult/open tournament would be played as one big Swiss. Prize money groups to be based on ACF ratings (with roughly equal numbers in each group, at the discretion of the organisers.)

Watto
05-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Just a reminder that this tournament is on this Saturday! :) See posts 1, 2 and 18 for details.

Spiny Norman
06-08-2008, 05:46 AM
Early list of confirmed entrants, with a few notable names for the Open section (e.g. Guy West, Tim Anderson):

First Surname Gender
Alexandra Biddiscombe F
Allanah Edyvane F
Kelly Edyvane F
Nadine Kalverkamp F
Denise Lim F
Ruihong Lu F
Brigid Peeler F
Megan Peeler F
Durga A Viswanathan F
Jean Watson F
Miranda Webb Liddle F

Tim Anderson M
Aleck Beck M
Tyler Beck M
David Bolt M
Jarod Brennfleck M
Damar Bull-Quijano M
Declan Carr M
David Chin M
Reginald Chong M
Aaron Clift M
Peter Cobb M
Joshua Devarajh M
Douglas Dias M
Micheal England M
Jaydn Gifford M
Liam Hamilton M
Connor Hanson M
Scott Huddleston M
Conrad Huning M
Pearce Jackson M
Ariel Johnson M
Ian Kloprogge M
Dylan Knur M
Ashwin Kumar M
Ethan Lim M
Joel Loveday M
Rafael Mello M
Ashley Mifsud-Pearso M
Stuart Milloy M
David Moad M
Peter Morris M
Isaac Ng M
Joshua Ng M
Jed Nugent M
Dillon Perera M
Alex Peterson M
Ashley Rowland M
Leo Santilli M
Thomas Santilli M
George Stuyt M
Ken Stuyt M
Ryan Vaux M
Joerg Wallmueller M
Peter Wallmueller M
Theo Wallmueller M
Dom Waterhouse M
Alex West M
Guy West M
Joseph Wong M
Jack Young M
Ollie Young M
David Yu M
Cameron Yung M
Jamie Yung M
Isaac Zhao M
Aidas Zilinskas M

C.Antolis
06-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi there, is it alright if i pay and enter on the day?

Garvinator
06-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Is it ok for the organisers to reject your entry if they just feel like it?

Spiny Norman
06-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I think the answer to that is "probably" ... however if a huge number of entries are received and we hit our limit for number of boards ... well, its safer to enter now and be assured of participation. If you're not sure whether you're coming or not, then you'll have to take your chances on the day (I'm pretty sure some others will be in the same boat).

C.Antolis
06-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Ok, seems like ill just have to take my chances. Is the school hard to find from the station? (i'll be riding my bike)

C.Antolis
06-08-2008, 10:20 PM
I got some directions from Google maps so I should be fine.
For those of you also catching the train, here is what google maps says:

1. Head south on Manchester Rd toward Krowera St.
2. Turn left at Brice Ave
3. Sharp right at Hull Rd
4. Turn left at Cardigan Rd

please say if thats incorrect.

Spiny Norman
07-08-2008, 09:23 AM
I got some directions from Google maps so I should be fine.
For those of you also catching the train, here is what google maps says:

1. Head south on Manchester Rd toward Krowera St.
2. Turn left at Brice Ave
3. Sharp right at Hull Rd
4. Turn left at Cardigan Rd

please say if thats incorrect.
Its pretty right. If you're getting off the train having come from the city, then you've got to cross over the railway line to get to the south side, so that would explain #1 above. Brice Avenue runs parallel to the railway line, where all the shops are. So you to go the end of Brice Avenue, heading away from the city. That explains #2.

#3 and #4 are almost a "dog leg" at the end of Brice Avenue ... Cardigan Road joins Hull Road just 20m or so from where Brice Avenue ends. So you go right and left almost at the same time. Cardigan Road then runs for about 150m and then turns sharp left and goes for a km or two until you reach the school. There's a very steep hill to climb along the way ... :)

Spiny Norman
07-08-2008, 09:32 AM
http://www.croydonchess.com/Portals/16/Images/MooroolbarkStationToBillanook.jpg

From: Mooroolbark Railway Station, Brice Avenue, Mooroolbark, VIC
To: Billanook College, 197 Cardigan Road, Mooroolbark, VIC

Go east on Brice Avenue (travel 600m)
Make a sharp right on Hull Road (travel <100m)
Turn left on Cardigan Road (travel 1.9km)
TOTAL TRIP: 2.5km

bobby1972
07-08-2008, 09:48 AM
what is the email address to send entries

C.Antolis
07-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks for that spinynorman. Looking forward to the steep hill climb... :rolleyes:

Watto
07-08-2008, 10:03 AM
There's a very steep hill to climb along the way ... :)
At least the scenery is good by that stage!

Spiny Norman
07-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Mmmm ... duffers didn't put an address in either the website or in their registration form.

I'll try to find out and will post here if I do. I'll also try to get them to update their website.

In the absence of any of that happening, I'd recommend printing out their form and faxing it to them at: 03 9725 8556

Watto
07-08-2008, 11:12 AM
The correct email address is georgieb 'at' billanook 'dot' vic 'dot' edu 'dot' au (I’ve written it in long hand to deter spam bots so just replace the 'at' with an @ and the dots with fullstops. :))

But you don’t actually need to do this because the email address comes up automatically when you submit the registration form. See link: http://www.billanook.vic.edu.au/v2/Billanook_Chess_Classic_08/Site/Registration.html
Click on Application Form in purple font. Fill in the registration form (closing the box which pops up) and then hit ‘submit’ on the form itself, choosing the correct email type for your email address (ie outlook for instance or hotmail/yahoo). The form submission process is a little bit confusing but does work.

bobby1972
07-08-2008, 01:16 PM
thanks,the address won`t come up for me because i am using lotus notes through work from home.

Watto
07-08-2008, 02:00 PM
thanks,the address won`t come up for me because i am using lotus notes through work from home.
in that case I’d just send an email to Georgie with your relevant details in it… which is probably what you’ve done. ;)

Solo
10-08-2008, 11:01 PM
JK, just in case you did feel like walking... the walk to Mooroolbark station from our place in Cardigan Road takes me about 17 to 18 minutes (a fairly fast, freezing morning kind of walk.) Billanook College is another 5 minutes so the whole walk should take no more than 25 minutes. Basically you leave the station and pass the Coles supermarket on your left along Bryce avenue, keep going passing a small oval and community centre etc on your left, cross Hull Road towards a small park and walk up the slight slope for about 20 metres and then left into Cardigan Road. If that doesn't make sense, the Melways should make more sense. :)
Cardigan Rd brings me fond memories. We lived in Longfellow Ave (the St opposite the shops) until I was 9 yo. My first chess club was in fact a Croydon Chess Club which my Dad took me to when I was about 7. It met at a house in Croydon, and I remember they had a beautiful big cat! There were about 10 people going. I don't know how long that club ran but after a couple of months we went to the Box Hill Chess Club. I remember the great fish and chip shop at those shops, when Dad was on shift work Mum would send my sister and I there to get 40c of chips, and that was enough to feed the 4 of us! Potato cakes were 3c each too! That must have been around 1970. I remember Mum "letting" us walk to Mooroolbark station once, when my sister was 7 and I was 5, and it took us an hour to walk there and an hour back; when we got back Mum said she didn't let us!!

Watto
11-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Cardigan Rd brings me fond memories. We lived in Longfellow Ave (the St opposite the shops) until I was 9 yo. My first chess club was in fact a Croydon Chess Club which my Dad took me to when I was about 7. It met at a house in Croydon, and I remember they had a beautiful big cat! There were about 10 people going. I don't know how long that club ran but after a couple of months we went to the Box Hill Chess Club. I remember the great fish and chip shop at those shops, when Dad was on shift work Mum would send my sister and I there to get 40c of chips, and that was enough to feed the 4 of us! Potato cakes were 3c each too! That must have been around 1970. I remember Mum "letting" us walk to Mooroolbark station once, when my sister was 7 and I was 5, and it took us an hour to walk there and an hour back; when we got back Mum said she didn't let us!!
Welcome to chesschat Solo. It’s really nice to hear that history. I’ll look out for Longfellow Ave- I think I know which one it is. We’ve only been living in Cardigan Road for a few months and we’re already pretty fond of the area… next time you’re in Melbourne, you should come by to visit if you have time. Edit: I know exactly where Longfellow Ave is. That’s very close to us. There’s still a fish & chip shop there. :)

Re the Billanook College Chess Classic results, it was a great day and it’s a lovely campus I must say. I don’t have access to the final standings and there were a lot of different prize winners in all the junior divisions so I won’t try to post those as my memory would be very incomplete. Hopefully someone else will post those details soon.

I know the results for the Open Allegro division however. In a small but strong open section Guy West came first, Bobby Cheng took second spot and Cedric Antolis came third ahead of players such as Tim Anderson, Peter Morris, Jonathan Cook, Douglas Stones, Joerg Wallmueller etc.

(In the same open section, continuing to experience all the indignities that tournament chess has to offer I caused much mirth and some confusion amongst spectators by attempting to resign with two knights + king against lone king as I had taken Guy’s stern pre-tournament advice to heart that ‘there are no moral victories, if you lose on time you lose on time’. Given the clock situation I thought there was no way I wouldn’t lose on time as my opponent had triple my time and I wasn’t about to mate him in 30 seconds. I’d momentarily forgotten the rather important point about my opponent needing mating material… :oops: … seriously think it might be time to retire to social chess.)

Anyway, it was a good day. Thanks to the organisers for all their hard work.

Spiny Norman
11-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Results: U8-U12 Group

Place Name Feder Score M-Buch. Buch. Progr.
1 Isaac Ng U12M 6.5 22.5 31.0 26.5
2 Ethan Lim U08M 6 21.0 26.5 21.0
3-4 Joseph Wong U10M 5.5 23.5 31.0 24.0
Liam Hamilton U12M 5.5 23.0 33.5 25.0
5-9 Peter Wallmueller U10M 5 21.0 30.5 21.0
Darcy Osborne U12M 5 21.0 29.0 20.5
George Stuyt U12M 5 20.5 28.5 21.0
Douglas Dias U10M 5 20.0 28.0 21.0
David Moad U10M 5 17.5 24.5 18.0
10-12 Joshua Devarajh U10M 4.5 26.0 36.5 23.5
David Yu U10M 4.5 19.5 28.0 20.5
Ashwin Kumar U10M 4.5 18.5 25.5 16.0
13-23 Isaac Zhao U08M 4 20.0 28.0 18.0
Alexandra Biddiscombe U12F 4 20.0 27.5 16.0
David Chin U10M 4 19.5 25.0 19.0
Dillon Perera U12M 4 19.0 27.5 19.0
Manoj Anguswamy U12M 4 19.0 27.0 17.0
Jaydn Gifford U12M 4 18.0 25.5 14.0
Halen Boyd U12M 4 17.0 24.5 16.0
Cameron Yung U12M 4 16.5 25.0 16.0
Tiarn Cook U12F 4 16.5 23.5 14.0
Dom Waterhouse U12M 4 16.0 22.0 16.0
Shaun Burnicle U12M 4 11.5 16.5 12.0
24-25 Chelsea Xu U12F 3.5 21.5 29.0 15.0
Aleck Beck U12M 3.5 20.5 29.0 15.0
26-34 Jarod Brennfleck U10M 3 20.0 27.0 14.0
Denise Lim U10F 3 19.5 26.5 13.0
Kelly Edyvane U10F 3 19.0 27.0 15.0
Tyler Beck U10M 3 18.0 25.0 12.0
Brendan Purcell U12M 3 16.0 22.0 12.0
Connor Hanson U12M 3 16.0 22.0 10.0
David Bolt U08M 3 15.0 22.0 10.0
Brigid Peeler U12F 3 14.5 20.5 9.0
Allanah Edyvane U12F 3 14.0 20.0 9.0
35-36 Ashley Mifsud-Pearson U12M 2.5 17.0 22.5 9.5
Ashley Rowland U12M 2.5 15.5 20.5 7.5
37-42 Alex West U12M 2 17.0 23.0 10.0
Rafael Pecori U10M 2 16.0 21.0 11.0
Joel Loveday U12M 2 14.0 19.5 7.0
Durga Viswanathan U12F 2 13.0 18.0 7.0
Jed Nugent U08M 2 12.0 16.5 6.0
Ollie Young U10M 2 11.5 17.5 4.0
43 Riley Powers U12M 1.5 13.5 18.0 4.5
44-45 Peter Cobb U08M 1 13.5 19.5 6.0
Atzin Espino-Murnane U08M 1 12.0 18.0 2.0
46 Theo Wallmueller U08M 0.5 11.5 18.5 0.5

Results: U14-U18 Group

Place Name Feder Score M-Buch. Buch. Progr.
1 Vinay Lakshman U16M 7 22.5 31.0 28.0
2 Jamie Yung U16M 6 21.5 31.5 24.0
3-6 Jack Young U16M 5 23.0 33.0 23.0
Damar Bull- Quijano U14M 5 21.5 30.0 21.0
Ruihong Lu U14F 5 20.5 31.0 21.0
Miranda Webb Liddle U16F 5 19.0 27.0 20.0
7-12 Joshua Ng U14M 4 21.0 30.5 18.0
Scott Huddleston U14M 4 20.5 29.0 16.0
Dylan Knur U14M 4 20.0 28.5 19.0
Nadine Kalverkamp U18F 4 18.5 27.0 16.0
Nivedita Anguswamy U16F 4 17.0 24.0 15.0
Alex Peterson U14M 4 17.0 23.0 17.0
13-16 Ken Stuyt U16M 3.5 19.0 25.5 14.5
Pearce Jackson U14M 3.5 18.0 24.5 13.5
Aidas Zilinskas U14M 3.5 16.5 25.0 13.5
Stuart Milloy U16M 3.5 16.0 22.0 14.5
17-20 Declan Carr U18M 3 18.0 24.5 14.0
Jamie Cook U14M 3 17.5 22.5 13.0
Ariel Johnson U14M 3 16.0 23.0 9.0
Megan Peeler U16F 3 13.5 19.0 10.0
21-24 Conrad Huning U14M 2.5 13.5 18.5 7.5
Aaron Clift U18M 2.5 13.0 17.5 9.5
Micheal England U14M 2.5 12.5 20.5 7.5
Leo Santilli U16M 2.5 11.5 16.5 5.5
25 Cody Bradford U14M 2 17.0 22.5 12.0
26-27 Andrea Knauth U16F 1.5 15.0 21.5 6.5
Thomas Santilli U16M 1.5 13.5 18.5 4.5
28 Ryan Vaux U14M 1 13.0 18.0 6.0
29 Rafael Mello U14M 0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Results: Open Group

Place Name Feder Loc Score M-Buch. Buch. Progr.
1 Guy West Open 2310 6.5 20.5 28.5 26.5
2 Bobby Cheng Open 1958 6 20.0 29.0 24.0
3 Cedric Antolis Open 1800 5.5 21.5 29.5 20.5
4-7 Tim Anderson Open 2100 4 22.0 30.5 17.0
Douglas Stones Open 1771 4 18.5 27.0 15.0
Jonathan Cook Open 1850 4 18.0 24.5 17.0
Joerg Wallmueller Open 4 15.0 20.5 14.0
8 Reginald Chong Open 3.5 15.0 21.0 12.0
9 Peter Morris Open 1917 3 18.5 27.0 12.5
10-11 Stephen Davies Open 1403 2.5 18.5 24.5 9.5
Ion Kloprogge Open 1283 2.5 14.0 18.0 12.5
12 Andrew Leroy Open 1474 2 15.0 21.5 9.0
13 Jean Watson Open 1210 1.5 16.0 21.5 6.5
14 Tom Brennfleck Open 0 14.5 20.0 0.0

Spiny Norman
11-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Prize Winners

U08-U12 Overall Winner: Isaac Ng
U14-U18 Overall Winner: Vinay Lakshman

Boys:

1st 2nd 3rd
U8 Ethan Lim Isaac Zhao David Bolt
U10 Joseph Wong Peter Wallmueller Douglas Dias
U12 Liam Hamilton Darcy Osborne George Stuyt
U14 Damar Bull-Quijano Joshua Ng Scott Huddleston
U16 Jamie Yung Jack Young Ken Stuyt
U18 Declan Carr Aaron Clift -

Girls:

1st 2nd 3rd
U8 - - -
U10 Denise Lim Kelly Edyvane -
U12 Alexandra Biddiscombe Tiarn Cook Chelsea Xu
U14 Ruihong Lu - -
U16 Miranda Webb Liddle Nivedita Anguswamy -
U18 Nadine Kalverkamp - -

Open:

1st 2nd 3rd
Guy West Bobby Cheng Cedric Antolis

Raffle Draw (Northern Star Chess Cards):

1st 2nd 3rd
Joseph Wong Ken Stuyt Chelsea Xu

shelldrake
11-08-2008, 03:03 PM
… seriously think it might be time to retire to social chess

Don't do that Watto! :eek:

Too many people take chess seriously, it's a game, enjoy it.

Watto
11-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Don't do that Watto! :eek:

Too many people take chess seriously, it's a game, enjoy it.
Thanks shelldrake. That was the idea of moving to social chess only… ;) but you make a good point.