PDA

View Full Version : Yusuf is dead, God bless his soul!

ER
21-06-2008, 12:27 AM
One of the friendliest and most likable chess players in Victoria is no longer amongst us.
Yusuf Omeragic died a tragic death back in his native Bosnja, while there on holidays.
This is a thread for all his chess friends to express their sympathy to his beloved family.
God bless your soul, Jusuf...

Basil
21-06-2008, 12:38 AM
My condolences for your lost friend, Elliott - and also to all those here that knew him.

Bereaved
21-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I am sorry to hear that Jusuf is no longer with us,

I have always known him to be polite friendly and good tempered and wish that the language barrier between us had not been so great.

I hope that his family are given the strength to endure his loss, and that he is now safe with God,

Vale Jusuf

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Davidflude
21-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Will there be a memorial service in Melbourne

ER
21-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Will there be a memorial service in Melbourne

David thanks for asking, J. Podgarac gave me some vague details at the BHCC tonight, so I can't really tell anything before I know for sure!

ER
21-06-2008, 01:00 AM
My condolences for your lost friend, Elliott - and also to all those here that knew him.

Thanks Howie, he was a very likable and popular character! He hardly spoke a word of English, nevertheless, he was one of those people who could communicate with his eyes and gestures.
His trademark was offering lollies to his opponents before the game started and always smiled regardless the result.
Apparently he was a very humorous person too. He 'd tell endless jokes to Sam Zivkovic who translated later to the rest of us!

ER
21-06-2008, 01:04 AM
I am sorry to hear that Jusuf is no longer with us,

I have always known him to be polite friendly and good tempered and wish that the language barrier between us had not been so great.

I hope that his family are given the strength to endure his loss, and that he is now safe with God,

Vale Jusuf

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Thanks Malcolm, Jusuf loved playing at the Melbourne Chess Club where he was liked and respected! The same respect he enjoyed at the BHCC and everywhere else he played.
He liked you especially, because you always helped him to find his opponent and to sit in the right table.
God bless his soul indeed!

Metro
21-06-2008, 10:27 PM
According to a report,on Sunday June 8 about 10 am,Jusuf Omeragic,74 years and his brother Ismet,78 years entered a minefield in municipality Maglajske,Bosnia. While his brother was injured Jusuf died.

Jusuf Omeragic,a Bosnian Muslim was a member of the Elwood Chess Club in 2000.
He spoke little English .I recall one Saturday just before an Interclub was to commence,he walked in.He looked at me and pointed his finger at himself as if to say,"What about me?"
Well it was not so easy to ask a simple question.
He would greet me with "Selam unaleykum", the response being "Aleykum selam".

Picture www.nasarijec.ba/index.php?izdanje_id=41&strana=132&clanak=2128

Phil Bourke
21-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Terrible to lose anyone in tragic circumstances. Condolences to his family and friends in this horrible time of loss.

ER
22-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Phil, thanks for your response! I am going to cut and paste messages on this thread and at some stage pass it to Yusuf's family! God Bless!

Scorpio
22-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I offer my full sympathy for your loss.

Igor_Goldenberg
22-06-2008, 11:07 PM
I met Yusuf once (he played in Elwood rapid last year). Very fine, polite and pleasant gentleman. I am very sad to learn about his tragic death. God bless his soul.

1407BL90
13-11-2009, 01:28 PM
rest in peace Jusuf Omeragic,

he was a great chess player & a great man.
Yes, he did die in bosnia whilst on holiday with his brother picking berries in the Forrest. Unfortunately the Forrest was full of mines even though there where signs saying that mines where in the area- but not in the particular area where he was. It was probably just a random mine and he was unlucky to step on it. His brother survived. It is a shame because Jusuf survived the war in bosnia which was very dangerous and brutal, then on his holiday back to bosnia he died in this way..very sad...

1407BL90
13-11-2009, 06:03 PM
David thanks for asking, J. Podgarac gave me some vague details at the BHCC tonight, so I can't really tell anything before I know for sure!

he was buried in maglaj,bosnia where there was a service for him aswel

ER
14-11-2009, 02:37 PM
he was buried in maglaj,bosnia where there was a service for him aswel

Thanks for all this additional information 1407BL90, I respected Yusuf, he was a good and kind man as well as very popular in our chess circles! God bless his soul!

ER
21-08-2011, 05:36 PM
A bit more than 3 years since we lost Jusuf Omeragic, I was yesterday able to pray for his soul in the Great National Mosque in KL Malaysia.
I remembered all the moments I had during my friendship with that gentle, humorous, peaceful man and It was like having him there next to me.
At some stage I will let you all know about the significance of the particular Mosque in regards to my friendship with Jusuf!
RIP brother, your kindness will live forever in my heart!