PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Oceania Zonal

Pages : [1] 2

Tony_Chow
15-06-2008, 05:29 PM
The Oceania Chess Calendar indicates the dates for the 2009 Zonal to be from 20/6/09 to 26/6/09.

Is there any chance of delaying that schedule by a week?

Reason: that schedule will clash with mid year University exams.

If the dates cannot be changed, that's okay. However, some students who are considering entering might not be able to enter, due to mid year exams.

Tony Dowden
15-06-2008, 05:38 PM
The Oceania Chess Calendar indicates the dates for the 2009 Zonal to be from 20/6/09 to 26/6/09.

Is there any chance of delaying that schedule by a week?

Reason: that schedule will clash with mid year University exams.

If the dates cannot be changed, that's okay. However, some students who are considering entering might not be able to enter, due to mid year exams.

Some uni lecturers (like me) might play too!

ggardiner
16-06-2008, 03:31 PM
The 2009 Oceanic Zonal Entry Form is now available at www.gardinerchess.com/oceaniazonal/2009oceaniazonal.pdf

Unfortunately we are too far down the track, and it is not possible to change the dates as suggested by Tony Chow.

ggardiner
16-06-2008, 03:33 PM
That webpage address should read

www.gardinerchess.com/oceaniazonal/2009oceaniazonal.pdf

Kevin Bonham
17-06-2008, 05:58 PM
That webpage address should read

www.gardinerchess.com/oceaniazonal/2009oceaniazonal.pdf

The board automatically shortens URLs over a given length, but clicking on them still works. I am not sure of the easiest way around this.

eclectic
17-06-2008, 06:46 PM
the full link will appear at the bottom of the browser (at least it does for me in ie7) but you can right click and select "copy shortcut" and then paste it selsewhere to see it in full too

Kevin Bonham
19-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Switching off "Automatically parse links in text" allows you to print the URL in full; however, you cannot then effectively click on it, eg

http://www.gardinerchess.com/oceaniazonal/2009oceaniazonal.pdf

...unless you do it in a tricky way:

"http://www.gardinerchess.com/oceaniazonal/2009oceaniazonal.pdf" (http://www.gardinerchess.com/oceaniazonal/2009oceaniazonal.pdf)

(The bottom link was made by switching off "Automatically parse links in text" then putting the link inside a URL tag pointing to itself.)

(took me about five tries to get this post right!)

ggardiner
24-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Please note that the webpage for the 2009 Oceania Zonal is now up at

http://www.gardinerchess.com/oceaniazonal/oceaniazonal2009.htm

Previously we only had a link to the entry form.

Although it is still 10 months away, we already have three entries (listed on the webpage) and I understand that there is a great deal of interest around the traps. We are certainly determined to put on a good event.

EBT
24-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Although it is still 10 months away, we already have three entries (listed on the webpage) and I understand that there is a great deal of interest around the traps. We are certainly determined to put on a good event.
Does it matter that IM Peter Froehlich's affiliation, according to the FIDE site, is GER?

Bill Gletsos
24-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Does it matter that IM Peter Froehlich's affiliation, according to the FIDE site, is GER?I would think so as it is my understanding that only members of federations within that zone can be entrants.

ggardiner
25-08-2008, 12:16 PM
I understand from Peter Froehlich that he will be changing his registration from Germany to Australia

Rhubarb
30-08-2008, 07:22 AM
I have heard nothing from Peter and the only reason I heard about this issue was when Kevin alerted me to this thread. I'm afraid there is simply no way that Peter can participate in the Oceania Zonal under FIDE's current rules. Every case is different, but the minimum transfer time in all cases is 10 months.

Just to remind everyone, FIDE's affiliation transfer rules are far from trivial and often involve hefty fees. Your best chance is to communicate your intentions to the ACF at the earliest opportunity.

Greg Canfell
FIDE Ratings & Administrative Officer
Australian Chess Federation

ggardiner
07-11-2008, 12:36 PM
This is just to advise that in response to several requests, the time controls for the 2009 Oceania Zonal have been increased as follows:

40 moves in 90 minutes, 30 minutes to finish, plus 30 seconds per move from the start.

Graeme Gardiner

ggardiner
18-11-2008, 04:50 PM
As an added attraction, the Gold Coast Open, a cat 5 Yulgilbar-Think Big Grand Prix event, will take place in the same playing venue, Visions Conference Room, Twin Towns Resort, Tweed Heads on the weekend immediately after the Zonal 27/28 June 2009.

GG

ggardiner
15-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm just following the Closet Grandmaster blogging from Queenstown in the first round....doesn't he do a great job. Fortunately he has agreed to blog at the Oceania Zonal. Apparently the Queenstown Classic is a qualification Tournament for New Zealand seeds to the Oceania Zonal (which in itself is a world championship qualification event).

I've just returned from the Aust Juniors in Adelaide, and from what I hear whilst talking to various chess people, there is going to be an excellent turnout for the zonal. It also gave me the opportunity to discuss with GM Ian Rogers his commentating role at the zonal.

By the way, it is probably a good idea to get in reasonably early with your accommodation bookings (through me) to gain the best deals and to ensure availability. Don't forget to stay on the for the Gold Coast Open!

See you in June, if not before.

GG

Afitz
28-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Good luck with all the continued preperations Graeme. Not happy that i can't make it up but them's the breaks! I've heard of a number of people looking forward to the event after chatting to them in Qtown

ggardiner
15-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Oceania Zonal 2009 Entrants as at 15 March 2009

Open

GM Zong-Yuan Zhao AUS 2577
IM David Smerdon AUS 2463
IM Stephen Solomon AUS 2460
IM George Xie AUS 2397
IM Gary Lane AUS 2371
FM Igor Bjelobrk AUS 2332
Anthony Ker NZ 2321 IM [Seed tbc]
FM Robert Smith NZ 2281
Mike Steadman NZ 2273
CM Max Illingworth AUS 2250
Brian Jones AUS 2074
CM Manoj Kumar FJ 2017 Seed
Paul Spiller NZ 2005
Hamish Selnes AUS 1921
Matthew Juszczynski AUS 1919
George Lester AUS 1801
Zachary Searle AUS 1777
Anurag Sannidhanam AUS 1713

Women

WIM Arianne Caoili AUS 2182
WIM Alexandra Jule AUS 1928
WCM Judy Gao NZ 1911 Seed
Vivian Smith NZ 1836
Tamzin Oliver AUS (U/R)

Full details at http://www.gardinerchess.com/oceaniazonal/oceaniazonal2009.htm

ggardiner
09-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Open

GM Zong-Yuan Zhao AUS 2583 Seed
IM David Smerdon AUS 2489 Seed
IM Stephen Solomon AUS 2455
IM George Xie AUS 2402
IM Gary Lane AUS 2371
IM Anthony Ker NZL 2321 Seed tbc
FM Robert Smith NZL 2274
Mike Steadman NZL 2262
CM Max Illingworth AUS 2243
Joselito Marcos PNG 2200 tbc
Eugene Schon AUS 2186
Marc Vlietstra AUS 2075
Brian Jones AUS 2062
Leon Kempen AUS 2050
CM Manoj Kumar FJ 2017 Seed
Paul Spiller NZL 2005
FM Rupert Jones PNG 1962 Seed tbc
Mike Canfell AUS 1932
Hamish Selnes AUS 1921
Matthew Juszczynski AUS 1914
Helen Milligan NZL 1985
Kevin Tan AUS 1956
Roberto Hernandez PLW 1830 Seed tbc
George Lester AUS 1801
Zachary Searle AUS 1791
Anurag Sannidhanam AUS 1705

Women

WIM Arianne Caoili AUS 2172 Seed
WCM Judy Gao NZL 1907 Seed
Vivian Smith NZL 1809
Tamzin Oliver AUS (U/R)
Hilda Vukikomoala FJ U/R Seed

Best wishes to all players in the Doeberl Cup and Sydney International

Graeme Gardiner

CameronD
09-04-2009, 05:25 PM
For this event, will it be using the new 0 minute forfeit rule, or are the organizers going to set a default time.

eclectic
09-04-2009, 05:26 PM
the new rules take effect from july 1

CameronD
09-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks, i thought it was June 1

Duff McKagan
20-04-2009, 11:07 PM
OK I have a question. I've heard that Monroi devices are to be used at this zonal... do all competitors have to use them?

ggardiner
21-04-2009, 12:17 PM
No, they will be optional. We expect to have perhaps 4 DGT boards on the top boards, and then up to around 10 PCMs in use on other boards. We will be offering training in their use, and an online demonstration is available at http://monroi.com/images/flashvideos/pcm_animation2.swf

Of course, we only need one of the two players to agree to use the PCM. In my experience most juniors love using them, and several adults also.

Garrett
21-04-2009, 01:33 PM
the Monroi devices are easy to use. Easier then writing the moves.

cheers
Garrett.

Capablanca-Fan
21-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I agree.

Garrett
23-04-2009, 11:46 AM
hey Graeme

Did Ian confirm that he will be doing commentary at the Zonal ?

Also will you be having a chess shop there ?

cheers
Garrett.

ggardiner
19-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Entries as at 19/5/09

Open

IM George Xie AUS 2402
IM Gary Lane AUS 2371
IM Paul Garbett NZL 2319 Seed
IM Vladimir Feldman AUS 2298
IM Mirko Rujevic AUS 2282
FM Robert Smith NZL 2274
Mike Steadman NZL 2262
Joselito Marcos PNG 2200 tbc
Eugene Schon AUS 2186
James Morris AUS 2114
Bobby Cheng AUS 2103
Kerry Stead AUS 2087
FM Gene Nakauchi AUS 2076
Marc Vlietstra AUS 2075
FM Brian Jones AUS 2062
Leon Kempen AUS 2050
Andrew Fitzpatrick AUS 2022
CM Manoj Kumar FIJ 2017 Seed
Tristan Stevens AUS 2006
Paul Spiller NZL 2005
WFM Helen Milligan NZL 1985
Jonas Muller AUS 1981
FM Rupert Jones PNG 1962 Seed tbc
Kevin Tan AUS 1956
Mike Canfell AUS 1932
Sam Grigg AUS 1927
Hamish Selnes AUS 1921
Sanmogam Goundar FIJ 1903
Sebastian Jule AUS 1847
George Lester AUS 1801
Alexander Stahnke AUS 1795
Bill Egan AUS 1795
Daniel Ford AUS 1792
Zachary Searle AUS 1791
Gaurav Raicar FIJ 1560
Harry Hughes AUS 1554
Fernando Aguilar SOL U/R Seed tbc
Cameron De Vere AUS U/R
Arie Meydan AUS U/R

Women

IM Irina Berezina AUS 2252 Seed
WFM Vivian Smith NZL 1809
Nicole Tsoi NZL 1648
Gloria Sukhu FIJ 1550
Tamzin Oliver AUS (U/R)
Hilda Vukikomoala FIJ U/R Seed

Entries Close 6th June

Over half of the entrants to date have indicated that they will be playing in the Gold Coast Open, which follows immediately after the Zonal on Sat/Sun 27/28 June.

In answer to Garrett's enquiry, I will probably have a chess shop at the Gold Coast Open, but not at the Zonal as I'm an Assistant Arbiter. However, we are hiring a bus on the Tuesday evening (rest day) to take players to the chess centre for a free BBQ, so players can investigate the chess shop then. That evening we may include a simul and/or lightning event, depending upon demand.

Regarding GM Ian Rogers, he will be undertaking a range of duties during the zonal. He is investigating providing online live analysis, but he will probably only provide live analysis at the venue for the final round. We aim to have four DGT boards, and up to 10 Monrois. Amiel Rosario is providing live blogging.

Without wanting to put too much pressure on David Smerdon, locally we are all eager to see if he can become the first Queenslander to earn the GM title. It would be most appropriate since it was here on the Gold Coast that he gained his IM title 10 years ago.

Zonal President Gary Bekker is excited about the event, because it looks as though we will have more representatives from more countries at the Oceania Zonal than ever before.

There will be an Oceania Zone meeting on the rest day. FIDE Secretary General Ignatius Leong, who I understand will be making his first visit to the region, will be present.

Full details at:

Alana
19-05-2009, 02:08 PM
mhmmm.... I'm trying to play in the Zonal this year but I have to try and convince mum to let me go, and then I'll have to find someone to stay with (damn still being 17 at that time!!!). But if I can do that then hopefully I'll play. :|

Ian Rout
19-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Entries as at 19/5/09

Open

I'm sure I should know, but what country is PLW?

ggardiner
19-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Palau

Davidflude
19-05-2009, 03:55 PM

cheers
Garrett.

a) How much do the monroi devices cost?

b) do they interface to a wireless network?

c) do they transmit the moves to the Internet?

d) do the players have to write the moves down manually as well?

e) if you own your own device can you use it instead of manually writing down moves?

ggardiner
19-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Monroi PCMs:

Cost at current exchange rate is over A$400

Yes, they interface with a wireless network

Yes, they transfer moves to the internet

No, they don't have to write down the moves as the PCMs are FIDE approved as an official scoresheet. The players and the arbiter have to sign the device at the end of the game.

Yes, you can use your own Monroi PCM because they are FIDE approved

Only one of the two players has to use a PCM for the game to be relayed live to the internet

Players will be given the choice whether to use them. In my experience most of the juniors will be keen, and some of the adults.

GG

Thunderspirit
19-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I would think so as it is my understanding that only members of federations within that zone can be entrants.

Forgive me for splitting hairs here, but from my understanding I don't think Bill is correct.

If I'm correct non Oceania Zonal players can play (assumming the organisers okay it), but they are not eligible to win the titles on offer at the event.

The can of worms could be if the visitor beats someone in the last round and as a result the Oceania player misses out on the title because of it. Likely to be the cause of some complaint.

Lee.

Bill Gletsos
19-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Forgive me for splitting hairs here, but from my understanding I don't think Bill is correct.Can you cite a recent zonal where a player has not been a member of a federation within that zone.

If I'm correct non Oceania Zonal players can play (assumming the organisers okay it), but they are not eligible to win the titles on offer at the event.Certainly it is not up to the organiser.
Who can play in a zonal is up to that zones Zonal President.

Denis_Jessop
19-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Can you cite a recent zonal where a player has not been a member of a federation within that zone.
Certainly it is not up to the organiser.

The FIDE rules for Zonal tournaments seem to imply that the participants must come from members of affiliated federations within the zone. It could be quite unfair, if the event is a Swiss, for an outsider to play if he/she was of significant strength as that person may not be drawn to play all of the contenders for the top place. Moreover I can see no point in allowing such a person to play in a tournament the main purpose of which is to select a person to play in the World KO Championship representing the Zone.

DJ

Thunderspirit
19-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Can you cite a recent zonal where a player has not been a member of a federation within that zone.
Certainly it is not up to the organiser.

To your first question Bill, the answer is no.

I'll have to take the second question on notice...

Bill Gletsos
19-05-2009, 10:23 PM
I'll have to take the second question on notice...FIDE regulations make it fairly clear it is up to the Zonal President.

CameronD
19-05-2009, 11:06 PM
The website says the following concerning entry conditions

Other players from the FIDE Oceania Zone, may enter the tournament, subject to the approval of the Zone President, upon payment of the entry fees, in Australian Dollars, based on their FIDE Rating as at April 2009

http://www.gardinerchess.com/oceaniazonal/conditionsofentry.htm

Bereaved
19-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi everyone,

Is FM James Morris the only titled player to miss having his title listed next to his name in the list of entrants? seemed really odd to me. Perhaps someone who might see or speak to Graeme in the near future might ask him to amend it ( and any others who might be missing )

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Mischa
19-05-2009, 11:55 PM
James Morris who?

Mischa
19-05-2009, 11:55 PM
:)..he is not from the northern states Malcolm...get real

Basil
20-05-2009, 05:24 AM
Hi everyone,

Is FM James Morris the only titled player to miss having his title listed next to his name in the list of entrants? seemed really odd to me.
As in 'odd that in a list of names requiring title acknowledgement, there was a solitary mistake'? Oh come on Malcolm. Knowing Graeme, I can assure you there has been a simple oversight. What's not so clear is why you didn't allow for this fact in your original balance.

ggardiner
20-05-2009, 08:46 AM
FM James Morris - Sorry James, now fixed...GG

that Caesar guy
20-05-2009, 05:26 PM
One word...meh.
The world will end because of this mistake. The Apocalypse, I say! lol.
Thanks anyway though.

JM

ggardiner
23-05-2009, 09:42 AM
FIDE General-Secretary Ignatius Leong will be making his first visit to our region for the upcoming Oceania Zonal. He will arrive for the opening ceremony on 20th June, and be present for the Oceania Zone meeting to be held on the rest day 23rd June at 12 noon. Ignatius has written:

I would like to cover as many topics and meet as many chess crusaders as possible during my short visit - officials, administrators, organisers, arbiters, trainers, parents etc .. I am also available to meet parents on open dialogue forum to discuss wide-ranging issues. I certainly am looking forward to making this first ever and short visit as beneficial as possible for all (Asia, FIDE, Commonwealth) and a learning experience for me too. Hence not necessary to confine to only the Oceania meeting; but perhaps separate forum for arbiters, trainers, parents, organisers, administrators so the Oceania meeting could be a sort of wrap up- some sort of mini FIDE Congress for Oceania.

Oceania Zone President Gary Bekker advises that the Zone meeting scheduled for 12 noon on 23 June (zonal rest day) will be open to anyone interested in attending. If anyone would like to be involved in any of the forums mentioned by Ignatius, or who perhaps would like a personal meeting, please let me know, by emailing me at ggardiner@gardinerchess.com

MichaelBaron
24-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone,

Is FM James Morris the only titled player to miss having his title listed next to his name in the list of entrants? seemed really odd to me. Perhaps someone who might see or speak to Graeme in the near future might ask him to amend it ( and any others who might be missing )

Why have the title listed ;). If you are strong player..people should know it without your title being listed :). I went to a research conference the other day, and one guy was complaining that when conference organisers published his paper, they forgot to include his title (PhD) next to his name. I could not help laughing at him.

Solo
29-05-2009, 01:35 PM
We have time share accommodation again, at "The Beach House Resort" from the night of Fri 19/6 to the night of Thu 25/6 (7 nights). At present it is just Janeen and myself, and it is a sleep 6 so if anyone would like to stay with us you are welcome. We could have a few individuals or a couple etc. The cost would be for the week for one $300, for 2 $200 each or for 3 $150 each:) PM me!

michaelrichards
30-05-2009, 03:14 PM
One girl is looking for accomodation for the first saturday night and the sunday night, but not the rest of the week. If anyone knows of anything please let us know thanks.

ggardiner
07-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Entries as at 6/6/09

Open

IM George Xie AUS 2402
FM Endre Ambrus AUS 2375
IM Gary Lane AUS 2371
IM Guy West AUS 2343
FM Greg Canfell AUS 2327
IM Paul Garbett NZL 2319 Seed
IM Vladimir Feldman AUS 2298
IM Mirko Rujevic AUS 2282
FM Robert Smith NZL 2274
Mike Steadman NZL 2262
Ronald Scott AUS 2261
Joselito Marcos PNG 2200
Gareth Oliver AUS 2187
Eugene Schon AUS 2186
Malcolm Pyke AUS 2156
Gino Thornton NZL 2146
FM James Morris AUS 2114
Bobby Cheng AUS 2103
Kerry Stead AUS 2087
Mario Krstev NZL 2086
FM Gene Nakauchi AUS 2076
Marc Vlietstra AUS 2075
FM Brian Jones AUS 2062
Jason Chan AUS 2056
Antonio Krstev NZL 2056
Leon Kempen AUS 2050
Hilton Bennett NZL 2028
Andrew Fitzpatrick AUS 2022
CM Manoj Kumar FIJ 2017 Seed
Yi Yuan AUS 2010
Tristan Stevens AUS 2006
Paul Spiller NZL 2005
Tony Weller AUS 1987
WFM Helen Milligan NZL 1985
Jonas Muller AUS 1981
FM Rupert Jones PNG 1962 Seed
Kevin Tan AUS 1956
Mike Canfell AUS 1932
Sam Grigg AUS 1927
Hamish Selnes AUS 1921
Sanmogam Goundar FIJ 1903
Sebastian Jule AUS 1847
Roberto Hernandez PLW 1830 Seed
George Lester AUS 1801
Alexander Stahnke AUS 1795
Bill Egan AUS 1795
Daniel Ford AUS 1792
Zachary Searle AUS 1791
Gaurav Raicar FIJ 1560
Harry Hughes AUS 1554
Fernando Aguilar SOL U/R Seed tbc
Cameron De Vere AUS U/R
Amir Karibasic AUS U/R
Daniel Lapitan AUS U/R
Arie Meydan AUS U/R

Women

IM Irina Berezina AUS 2252 Seed
WFM Sue Maroroa NZL 1894
Emma Guo AUS 1845
Vaness Reid AUS 1837
Sally Yu AUS 1819
WFM Vivian Smith NZL 1809
WFM Natasha Fairley NZL 1778
Luthien Russell AUS 1769
Sarah Anton AUS 1718
Nicole Tsoi NZL 1648
Gloria Sukhu FIJ 1550
Tamzin Oliver AUS (U/R)
Leteisha Simmonds AUS U/R
Hilda Vukikomoala FIJ U/R Seed

Official Website:

Garrett
09-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi Graeme

I noticed that the closing date for entries according to post #27 is 6th June.

I was wondering when the draw be released ?

Cheers
Garrett.

Garrett
10-06-2009, 10:53 AM
hey

I noticed at the resort webpage they have tennis courts.

I am thinking of taking a couple of rackets and some balls so if anyone is interested in a social game of doubles in the morning before rounds 7 & 8 or on the rest day it would be cool.

cheers
Garrett.

GinoTHEstud
10-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Sure ill play you that be cool...

Nicholas D-C
10-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Any tips for the winner? Obviously GM Zong-Yuan Zhao and GM (now) David Smerdon are the favourites, but there are a few dark horses to consider as potential winners.:hmm:

Desmond
10-06-2009, 10:12 PM
My money would be on ZYZ.

Capablanca-Fan
10-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Mine too. From what other top players have told me, he is strong in all departments of the game, while other players have weaknesses (all relative of course).

black
11-06-2009, 12:19 AM
We have time share accommodation again, at "The Beach House Resort" from the night of Fri 19/6 to the night of Thu 25/6 (7 nights). At present it is just Janeen and myself, and it is a sleep 6 so if anyone would like to stay with us you are welcome. We could have a few individuals or a couple etc. The cost would be for the week for one $300, for 2 $200 each or for 3 $150 each:) PM me!

If this is still available, and if my entry can be accepted, I would love to play.

Desmond
11-06-2009, 07:13 AM
If this is still available, and if my entry can be accepted, I would love to play.I would suggest contacting Graeme immediately as the deadline is already passed. From the entry form:

The closing date for entries for non-selected players is Friday 6
June 2009. The organiser may, at his discretion, accept late
entries.

Garrett
11-06-2009, 08:07 AM
yeah looks like it would make even numbers too.

Vlad
11-06-2009, 11:37 AM

It is very likely that the winner will be either Yuan or David. Hard to say who of two. Yuan was not in a very good form in SIO, while David was very impressive in the NSW weekender. So I think their chances are about equal, the luckiest on the day will be the winner.

I think it is much more interesting to guess who will get an "easy" IM title. Just by looking at the list I would think it will be mostly a fight among Igor, Greg and Max.

I guess there is also a chance one of the coming juniors will be in "firing" form.

black
11-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I would suggest contacting Graeme immediately as the deadline is already passed. From the entry form:

The closing date for entries for non-selected players is Friday 6
June 2009. The organiser may, at his discretion, accept late
entries.

I am following this suggestion and will be calling back, as instructed, at about 4pm.

Nicholas D-C
11-06-2009, 05:27 PM
If the likes of IM Xie, IM Solomon, IM Lane and co hit top form, it could be a very interesting tournament. IM Xie is very up and down though, and he had a NSW Open to forget:confused:

Garrett
11-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I think it is much more interesting to guess who will get an "easy" IM title.

I was thinking along the lines of "totally [snip-mod] pissweak" but thanks for the concise paraphrase.

Oepty
11-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I think it is much more interesting to guess who will get an "easy" IM title. Just by looking at the list I would think it will be mostly a fight among Igor, Greg and Max.

I think Tomej Rej would also have a very good chance.
Scott

ggardiner
11-06-2009, 05:59 PM
I've discussed this matter with Zonal President Gary Bekker, and we are likely to continue to accept entries until around next Wednesday or Thursday. I think we would like to be able to publish a draw next Thursday evening if at all possible. GG.

Vlad
11-06-2009, 07:06 PM
I think Tomej Rej would also have a very good chance.
Scott

If Tomek played he would have a chance but as far as the entries stand at the moment I do not see his name there.

Oepty
11-06-2009, 08:48 PM
If Tomek played he would have a chance but as far as the entries stand at the moment I do not see his name there.

Tomek's name is on the list on the website but not on the list in this thread. Might be one other missing off the list here, but can not be bothered working it out for sure
Scott

Leonkempen
11-06-2009, 10:29 PM
The other player now on the website but "missing" in the earlier list on this thread is Damian Norris (Fiji).

Oepty
11-06-2009, 11:00 PM
The other player now on the website but "missing" in the earlier list on this thread is Damian Norris (Fiji).

Thanks.
Scott

ggardiner
12-06-2009, 06:55 PM
2009 Oceania Zonal Chess Tournament

Late Entries with full payment of entry fee will be accepted by the organiser up to 6pm on Thursday 18th June. All entrants will receive a confirmation email. If this is not received by 7pm on Thursday 18th June, entrants must immediately phone the organiser to confirm receipt. After arranging the drawing of lots, the organisers will post the round one draw after 10pm on Thursday 18th June.

Very late entrants will be paired against each other or given a zero point bye for round 1, at the discretion of the arbiters and depending upon the circumstances.

The time limit for late arrival at the board shall be 30 minutes after the scheduled start time, which will result in immediate forfeit.

Titles: IM (or WIM) title for top player with 6pts or more, FM (or WFM) title for top 2 players with 4.5pts or more, CM (or WCM) title for top 2 players with 4pts or more.

The 2009 World Cup will be held in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia from 19th Nov - 15 Dec 2009. For details of the event see http://www.fide.com/FIDE/handbook/WorldCup2009Regulations.pdf. The World Women's Chess Championship is scheduled to be held in Turkey during 2010.

Oepty
17-06-2009, 08:48 PM
I see Moulthun Ly has now entered, great to see him playing.
Scott

George Xie
18-06-2009, 07:29 PM
hey

I noticed at the resort webpage they have tennis courts.

I am thinking of taking a couple of rackets and some balls so if anyone is interested in a social game of doubles in the morning before rounds 7 & 8 or on the rest day it would be cool.

cheers
Garrett.

I like you Idea! May join the tennis on rest day or after the tournament.

George Xie
18-06-2009, 07:31 PM

How can you make a bet? and what is the ratio?

Ian Rout
18-06-2009, 08:01 PM
I think the ACF by-laws have some rules about players taking or making bets. Not sure about FIDE, or which take precedence, but it may be a good idea to check.

Garrett
19-06-2009, 06:36 AM
the organisers will post the round one draw after 10pm on Thursday 18th June.

Hi Graeme

Has the draw been posted ? I can't seem to find it.

cheers
Garrett.

Garrett
19-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Sure ill play you that be cool...

I like you Idea! May join the tennis on rest day or after the tournament.

Hi Gino / George

Thanks for the reply,

Looks like we might have a game !

My room-mate for the week might play, which would make doubles a distinct possibility.

I have one spare racquet if you guys don't have the luggage capacity.

Talk soon,
cheers
Garrett.

ggardiner
19-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Round One Provisional Draw Women

No Name Feder Rtg Total Result Name Feder Rtg Total

1 Berezina-Feldman, Irina NSW 2252 [0] : Fairley, Natasha NZL 1778 [0]
2 Russell, Luthien VIC 1769 [0] : Caoili, Arianne B QLD 2172 [0]
3 Gao, Judy NZL 1907 [0] : Anton, Sarah VIC 1718 [0]
4 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1648 [0] : Maroroa, Sue NZL 1894 [0]
5 Guo, Emma ACT 1845 [0] : Sukhu, Gloria FIJ 1550 [0]
6 Oliver, Tamzin L ACT [0] : Reid, Vaness NSW 1837 [0]
7 Yu, Sally VIC 1819 [0] : Simmonds, Leteisha QLD [0]
8 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ [0] : Smith, Vivian NZL 1809 [0]
9 Byrne, Alannah QLD [0] 1:0 BYE

Round One Provisional Draw Open

No Name Feder Rtg Total Result Name Feder Rtg Total

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan NSW 2583 [0] : Fitzpatrick, Andrew VIC 2022 [0]
2 Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2017 [0] : Smerdon, David C ACT 2489 [0]
3 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2455 [0] : Yuan, Yi ACT 2010 [0]
4 Stevens, Tristan SA 2006 [0] : Xie, George NSW 2402 [0]
5 Ambrus, Endre ACT 2375 [0] : Spiller, Paul NZL 2005 [0]
6 Weller, Tony QLD 1987 [0] : Lane, Gary W NSW 2371 [0]
7 West, Guy VIC 2343 [0] : Milligan, Helen NZL 1985 [0]
8 Muller, Jonas QLD 1981 [0] : Ly, Moulthun QLD 2340 [0]
9 Bjelobrk, Igor NSW 2332 [0] : Jones, Rupert PNG 1962 [0]
10 Tan, Kevin NSW 1956 [0] : Canfell, Gregory J NSW 2327 [0]
11 Garbett, Paul NZL 2319 [0] : Liu, Yi (1997) QLD 1938 [0]
12 Canfell, Mike J NSW 1932 [0] : Rej, Tomek NSW 2308 [0]
13 Feldman, Vladimir NSW 2298 [0] : Jule, Alexandra QLD 1928 [0]
14 Grigg, Sam QLD 1927 [0] : Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2282 [0]
15 Smith, Robert W NZL 2274 [0] : Selnes, Hamish QLD 1921 [0]
16 Juszczynski, Mathew SA 1914 [0] : Steadman, Michael NZL 2262 [0]
17 Scott, Ronald NSW 2261 [0] : Prasad, Calvin FIJ 1912 [0]
18 Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 1903 [0] : Illingworth, Max NSW 2243 [0]
19 Levi, Eddy L VIC 2216 [0] : Jule, Sebastian QLD 1847 [0]
20 Rachmadi, Herman NSW 1842 [0] : Marcos, Joselito PNG 2200 [0]
21 Oliver, Gareth ACT 2187 [0] : Encel, Benjamin NSW 1838 [0]
22 Hernandez, Roberto PLW 1830 [0] : Schon, Eugene VIC 2186 [0]
23 Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2156 [0] : Lester, George E QLD 1801 [0]
24 Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1795 [0] : Norris, Damian QLD 2142 [0]
25 Morris, James VIC 2114 [0] : Egan, Bill ACT 1795 [0]
26 Ford, Daniel QLD 1792 [0] : Cheng, Bobby VIC 2103 [0]
27 Stead, Kerry VIC 2087 [0] : Searle, Zachary SA 1791 [0]
28 Meydan, Arie VIC 1757 [0] : Krstev, Mario NZL 2086 [0]
29 Brown, Andrew ACT 2085 [0] : Sannidhanam, Anurag VIC 1705 [0]
30 Karibasic, Amir QLD 1573 [0] : Nakauchi, Gene QLD 2076 [0]
31 Vlietstra, Marc WA 2075 [0] : Raicar, Gaurav FIJ 1560 [0]
32 Hughes, Harry QLD 1554 [0] : Jones, Brian A NSW 2062 [0]
33 Krstev, Antonio NZL 2056 [0] : De Vere, Cameron QLD 1468 [0]
34 Lapitan, Daniel QLD 1287 [0] : Chan, Jason NSW 2056 [0]
35 Kempen, Leon VIC 2050 [0] : Eriksson, Caleb QLD 1257 [0]
36 Aguilar, Fernando SOL [0] : Bennett, Hilton NZL 2028 [0]

Desmond
19-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Good luck chesschattians.

Watto
19-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi Gino / George

Thanks for the reply,

Looks like we might have a game !

My room-mate for the week might play, which would make doubles a distinct possibility.

I have one spare racquet if you guys don't have the luggage capacity.

Talk soon,
cheers
Garrett.
Hi Garrett,

Guy is also interested. He'll bring up a racquet if he can fit it in.

Garvinator
19-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Round One Provisional Draw Women

1 Berezina-Feldman,Irina NSW 2252 [0] : Fairley, Natasha NZL 1778 [0]
2 Russell, Luthien VIC 1769 [0] : Caoili, Arianne QLD 2172 [0]
3 Gao, Judy NZL 1907 [0] : Anton, Sarah VIC 1718 [0]
4 Tsoi, Nicole NZL 1648 [0] : Maroroa, Sue NZL 1894 [0]
5 Guo, Emma ACT 1845 [0] : Sukhu, Gloria FIJ 1550 [0]
6 Oliver, Tamzin L ACT [0] : Reid, Vaness NSW 1837 [0]
7 Yu, Sally VIC 1819 [0] : Simmonds, Leteisha QLD [0]
8 Vukikomoala, Hilda FIJ [0] : Smith, Vivian NZL 1809 [0]
9 Byrne, Alannah QLD [0] 1:0 BYE

Round One Provisional Draw Open

1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan NSW 2583 [0] : Fitzpatrick, Andrew VIC 2022 [0]
2 Kumar, Manoj FIJ 2017 [0] : Smerdon, David C ACT 2489 [0]
3 Solomon, Stephen J QLD 2455 [0] : Yuan, Yi ACT 2010 [0]
4 Stevens, Tristan SA 2006 [0] : Xie, George NSW 2402 [0]
5 Ambrus, Endre ACT 2375 [0] : Spiller, Paul NZL 2005 [0]
6 Weller, Tony QLD 1987 [0] : Lane, Gary W NSW 2371 [0]
7 West, Guy VIC 2343 [0] : Milligan, Helen NZL 1985 [0]
8 Muller, Jonas QLD 1981 [0] : Ly, Moulthun QLD 2340 [0]
9 Bjelobrk, Igor NSW 2332 [0] : Jones, Rupert PNG 1962 [0]
10 Tan, Kevin NSW 1956 [0] : Canfell, Gregory J NSW 2327 [0]
11 Garbett, Paul NZL 2319 [0] : Liu, Yi (1997) QLD 1938 [0]
12 Canfell, Mike J NSW 1932 [0] : Rej, Tomek NSW 2308 [0]
13 Feldman, Vladimir NSW 2298 [0] : Jule, Alexandra QLD 1928 [0]
14 Grigg, Sam QLD 1927 [0] : Rujevic, Mirko VIC 2282 [0]
15 Smith, Robert W NZL 2274 [0] : Selnes, Hamish QLD 1921 [0]
16 Juszczynski, Mathew SA 1914 [0] : Steadman, Michael NZL 2262 [0]
17 Scott, Ronald NSW 2261 [0] : Prasad, Calvin FIJ 1912 [0]
18 Goundar, Sanmogam FIJ 1903 [0] : Illingworth, Max NSW 2243 [0]
19 Levi, Eddy L VIC 2216 [0] : Jule, Sebastian QLD 1847 [0]
20 Rachmadi, Herman NSW 1842 [0] : Marcos, Joselito PNG 2200 [0]
21 Oliver, Gareth ACT 2187 [0] : Encel, Benjamin NSW 1838 [0]
22 Hernandez, Roberto PLW 1830 [0] : Schon, Eugene VIC 2186 [0]
23 Pyke, Malcolm L VIC 2156 [0] : Lester, George E QLD 1801 [0]
24 Stahnke, Alexander QLD 1795 [0] : Norris, Damian QLD 2142 [0]
25 Morris, James VIC 2114 [0] : Egan, Bill ACT 1795 [0]
26 Ford, Daniel QLD 1792 [0] : Cheng, Bobby VIC 2103 [0]
27 Stead, Kerry VIC 2087 [0] : Searle, Zachary SA 1791 [0]
28 Meydan, Arie VIC 1757 [0] : Krstev, Mario NZL 2086 [0]
29 Brown, Andrew ACT 2085 [0] : Sannidhanam, Anurag VIC 1705 [0]
30 Karibasic, Amir QLD 1573 [0] : Nakauchi, Gene QLD 2076 [0]
31 Vlietstra, Marc WA 2075 [0] : Raicar, Gaurav FIJ 1560 [0]
32 Hughes, Harry QLD 1554 [0] : Jones, Brian A NSW 2062 [0]
33 Krstev, Antonio NZL 2056 [0] : De Vere, Cameron QLD 1468 [0]
34 Lapitan, Daniel QLD 1287 [0] : Chan, Jason NSW 2056 [0]
35 Kempen, Leon VIC 2050 [0] : Eriksson, Caleb QLD 1257 [0]
36 Aguilar, Fernando SOL [0] : Bennett, Hilton NZL 2028 [0]

Garrett
19-06-2009, 11:10 AM
ok that's 10200 posts for the Garvinator.

Garvinator
21-06-2009, 01:43 AM
1 Zhao, Zong-Yuan ( 2 ) - Rej, Tomek ( 2 ) 1- 12
2 Garbett, Paul Anthony ( 2 ) - Smerdon, David ( 2 ) 11- 2
3 Solomon, Stephen J. ( 2 ) - Rujevic, Mirko ( 2 ) 3- 14
4 Smith, Robert W ( 2 ) - Lane, Gary W. ( 2 ) 15- 6
5 West, Guy ( 2 ) - Schon, Eugene ( 2 ) 7- 22
6 Scott, Ronald ( 2 ) - Ly, Moulthun ( 2 ) 17- 8
7 Chan, Jason ( 2 ) - Canfell, Gregory ( 2 ) 34- 10
8 Marcos, Joselito ( 1.5) - Xie, George Wendi ( 1.5) 20- 4
9 Bjelobrk, Igor ( 1.5) - Cheng, Bobby ( 1.5) 9- 26
10 Morris, James ( 1.5) - Steadman, Michael ( 1.5) 25- 16
11 Ambrus, Endre ( 1 ) - Nakauchi, Gene ( 1.5) 5- 30
12 Feldman, Vladimir ( 1 ) - Yuan, Yi ( 1 ) 13- 39
13 Weller, Tony ( 1 ) - Illingworth, Max ( 1 ) 42- 18
14 Levi, Eddy ( 1 ) - Milligan, Helen ( 1 ) 19- 43
15 Muller, Jonas ( 1 ) - Oliver, Gareth ( 1 ) 44- 21
16 Stead, Kerry ( 1 ) - Tan, Kevin ( 1 ) 27- 46
17 Grigg, Sam ( 1 ) - Krstev, Mario ( 1 ) 50- 28
18 Brown, Andrew ( 1 ) - Liu, Yi ( 1 ) 29- 47
19 Vlietstra, Marc ( 1 ) - Jule, Alexandra ( 1 ) 31- 49
20 Stahnke, Alexander ( 1 ) - Jones, Brian ( 1 ) 60- 32
21 Krstev, Antonio ( 1 ) - Selnes, Hamish ( 1 ) 33- 51
22 Kempen, Leon ( 1 ) - Lester, George E ( 1 ) 35- 59
23 Ford, Daniel ( 1 ) - Bennett, Hilton ( 1 ) 62- 36
24 Karibasic, Amir ( 1 ) - Fitzpatrick, Andrew ( 1 ) 68- 37
25 Eriksson, Caleb ( 1 ) - Kumar, Manoj ( 1 ) 71- 38
26 Pyke, Malcolm ( 0.5) - Encel, Benjamin ( 0.5) 23- 57
27 Juszczynski, Mathew ( 0.5) - Norris, Damian C ( 0.5) 52- 24
28 Stevens, Tristan ( 0.5) - Meyden, Arie ( 0.5) 40- 67
29 Rachmadi, Herman ( 0.5) - Spiller, Paul ( 0.5) 56- 41
30 Canfell, Mike J ( 0.5) - Prasad, Calvin ( 0.5) 48- 53
31 Sannidhanam, Anurag ( 0.5) - Jones, Rupert ( 0 ) 64- 45
32 Goundar, Sanmogam ( 0 ) - Raicar, Gaurav ( 0 ) 54- 65
33 Hughes, Harry ( 0 ) - Jule, Sebastian ( 0 ) 66- 55
34 Hernandez, Roberto ( 0 ) - De Vere, Cameron ( 0 ) 58- 69
35 Lapitan, Daniel ( 0 ) - Egan, Bill ( 0 ) 70- 61
36 Cigelj, David ( 0 ) - Searle, Zachary ( 0 ) 72- 63
Bye : 73 Aguilar, Fernando

MichaelBaron
21-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Sarah Anton is on 2/2!!!:clap: :clap:

ER
21-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Go Eugene, Go Sally! :clap: :clap: :clap: Well done Sarah! :clap: :clap: :clap: C'mon Anurag!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Watto
21-06-2009, 12:22 PM
For those who might not know, there are a whole bunch of live games to follow each round (round 3 is on at the moment) plus live commentary on a few of the top boards by GM Ian Rogers at the official site.

Garvinator
21-06-2009, 02:46 PM
In Zhao/Rej, there might be a transmission error as it looks like Rej has left his queen en prise for about five moves already and Zhao has not taken it :eek:

Ahh Ian Rogers has clarified the situation in his blog comments. The dgt board has missed the exchange of queens.

Garvinator
21-06-2009, 06:10 PM
1 Smerdon, David ( 3 ) - Solomon, Stephen J. ( 3 ) 2- 3
2 Canfell, Gregory ( 3 ) - Zhao, Zong-Yuan ( 2.5) 10- 1
3 Xie, George Wendi ( 2.5) - Smith, Robert W ( 2.5) 4- 15
4 Lane, Gary W. ( 2.5) - Scott, Ronald ( 2.5) 6- 17
5 Rej, Tomek ( 2.5) - West, Guy ( 2.5) 12- 7
6 Ly, Moulthun ( 2.5) - Morris, James ( 2.5) 8- 25
7 Schon, Eugene ( 2.5) - Bjelobrk, Igor ( 2.5) 22- 9
8 Stead, Kerry ( 2 ) - Ambrus, Endre ( 2 ) 27- 5
9 Krstev, Mario ( 2 ) - Garbett, Paul Anthony ( 2 ) 28- 11
10 Jones, Brian ( 2 ) - Feldman, Vladimir ( 2 ) 32- 13
11 Rujevic, Mirko ( 2 ) - Brown, Andrew ( 2 ) 14- 29
12 Illingworth, Max ( 2 ) - Chan, Jason ( 2 ) 18- 34
13 Fitzpatrick, Andrew ( 2 ) - Levi, Eddy ( 2 ) 37- 19
14 Kumar, Manoj ( 2 ) - Oliver, Gareth ( 2 ) 38- 21
15 Steadman, Michael ( 1.5) - Stevens, Tristan ( 1.5) 16- 40
16 Spiller, Paul ( 1.5) - Marcos, Joselito ( 1.5) 41- 20
17 Cheng, Bobby ( 1.5) - Jule, Alexandra ( 1.5) 26- 49
18 Nakauchi, Gene ( 1.5) - Ford, Daniel ( 1.5) 30- 62
19 Selnes, Hamish ( 1.5) - Vlietstra, Marc ( 1.5) 51- 31
20 Lester, George E ( 1.5) - Krstev, Antonio ( 1.5) 59- 33
21 Prasad, Calvin ( 1.5) - Kempen, Leon ( 1.5) 53- 35
22 Bennett, Hilton ( 1.5) - Juszczynski, Mathew ( 1.5) 36- 52
23 Jule, Sebastian ( 1 ) - Pyke, Malcolm ( 1 ) 55- 23
24 Yuan, Yi ( 1 ) - Stahnke, Alexander ( 1 ) 39- 60
25 Encel, Benjamin ( 1 ) - Weller, Tony ( 1 ) 57- 42
26 Milligan, Helen ( 1 ) - Sannidhanam, Anurag ( 1 ) 43- 64
27 De Vere, Cameron ( 1 ) - Muller, Jonas ( 1 ) 69- 44
28 Tan, Kevin ( 1 ) - Karibasic, Amir ( 1 ) 46- 68
29 Liu, Yi ( 1 ) - Eriksson, Caleb ( 1 ) 47- 71
30 Searle, Zachary ( 1 ) - Grigg, Sam ( 1 ) 63- 50
31 Aguilar, Fernando ( 1 ) - Goundar, Sanmogam ( 1 ) 73- 54
32 Norris, Damian C ( 0.5) - Rachmadi, Herman ( 0.5) 24- 56
33 Jones, Rupert ( 0.5) - Lapitan, Daniel ( 0.5) 45- 70
34 Egan, Bill ( 0.5) - Canfell, Mike J ( 0.5) 61- 48
35 Meyden, Arie ( 0.5) - Hernandez, Roberto ( 0 ) 67- 58
36 Raicar, Gaurav ( 0 ) - Cigelj, David ( 0 ) 65- 72

Hughes, Harry Bye

ER
21-06-2009, 07:56 PM
This is reprinted from the excellent Chess Results website with many thanks to web master and of course the tournament organiser Mr Gardiner

Round 3 on 2009/06/21 at 11:00
Bo. No. Name Pts. Result Pts. Name No.
1 4 WFM Maroroa Sue 2 0 - 1 2 WIM Caoili Arianne 2
2 1 IM Berezina Irina 1˝ 1 - 0 2 Anton Sarah 11
3 7 Yu Sally 1˝ 1 - 0 1˝ Reid Vaness 6
4 5 Guo Emma 1 1 - 0 1 Tsoi Nicole 13
5 8 WFM Smith Vivian J 1 1 - 0 1 Byrne Alannah S 17
6 10 Russell Luthien 1 1 - 0 1 Vukikomoala Hilda 18
7 15 Oliver Tamzin L 1 ˝ - ˝ ˝ Simmonds Leteisha 16
8 9 WFM Fairley Natasha 0 ˝ - ˝ 0 WCM Gao Judy 3
9 14 Sukhu Gloria 0 1 bye
10 12 Kinder Jessica 0 0 not paired

ER
21-06-2009, 07:57 PM
This is reprinted from the excellent Chess Results website with many thanks to web master and of course the tournament organiser Mr Gardiner

Rk. Name FED Rtg Pts. TB1 TB2 TB3
1 WIM Caoili Arianne AUS 2172 3,0 6,0 2,0 6,00
2 IM Berezina Irina AUS 2252 2,5 4,0 1,5 3,25
3 Yu Sally AUS 1819 2,5 3,0 1,0 2,50
4 Anton Sarah AUS 1718 2,0 5,0 2,0 2,50
5 WFM Maroroa Sue NZL 1894 2,0 4,5 1,0 1,50
6 Russell Luthien AUS 1769 2,0 4,5 1,0 1,50
7 WFM Smith Vivian J NZL 1809 2,0 4,0 0,5 1,00
8 Guo Emma AUS 1845 2,0 3,5 1,0 1,50
9 Reid Vaness AUS 1837 1,5 6,5 2,5 2,75
10 Oliver Tamzin L AUS 1512 1,5 3,0 1,0 1,00
11 Simmonds Leteisha AUS 1330 1,0 6,0 2,0 2,00
12 Byrne Alannah S AUS 829 1,0 4,5 2,0 1,50
13 Vukikomoala Hilda FIJ 0 1,0 4,5 2,0 1,50
14 Tsoi Nicole NZL 1648 1,0 4,5 2,0 0,50
15 Sukhu Gloria FIJ 1550 1,0 3,5 1,0 1,50
16 WCM Gao Judy NZL 1907 0,5 5,0 2,0 0,25
17 WFM Fairley Natasha NZL 1778 0,5 4,5 1,5 0,25
18 Kinder Jessica AUS 1708 0,0 4,5 1,5 0,00

dado12
21-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Rk. Name FED Rtg Pts. TB1 TB2 TB3

1 WIM Caoili Arianne AUS 2172 3,0 6,0 2,0 6,00
2 IM Berezina Irina AUS 2252 2,5 4,0 1,5 3,25
3 Yu Sally AUS 1819 2,5 3,0 1,0 2,50
4 Anton Sarah AUS 1718 2,0 5,0 2,0 2,50
5 WFM Maroroa Sue NZL 1894 2,0 4,5 1,0 1,50
6 Russell Luthien AUS 1769 2,0 4,5 1,0 1,50
7 WFM Smith Vivian J NZL 1809 2,0 4,0 0,5 1,00
8 Guo Emma AUS 1845 2,0 3,5 1,0 1,50
9 Reid Vaness AUS 1837 1,5 6,5 2,5 2,75
10 Oliver Tamzin L AUS 1512 1,5 3,0 1,0 1,00
11 Simmonds Leteisha AUS 1330 1,0 6,0 2,0 2,00
12 Byrne Alannah S AUS 829 1,0 4,5 2,0 1,50
13 Vukikomoala Hilda FIJ 0 1,0 4,5 2,0 1,50
14 Tsoi Nicole NZL 1648 1,0 4,5 2,0 0,50
15 Sukhu Gloria FIJ 1550 1,0 3,5 1,0 1,50
16 WCM Gao Judy NZL 1907 0,5 5,0 2,0 0,25
17 WFM Fairley Natasha NZ 1778 0,5 4,5 1,5 0,25
18 Kinder Jessica AUS 1708 0,0 4,5 1,5 0,00

Igor_Goldenberg
21-06-2009, 10:50 PM
James is doing really well. Good luck and keep it up!

Mischa
21-06-2009, 11:06 PM
thank you...

Basil
22-06-2009, 04:17 AM
I see Helen Milligan is playing in the Open. This strikes me as odd given that across the room is a Women's comp. No more than odd. Simply odd.

Carry on!

Garvinator
22-06-2009, 07:16 AM
I see Helen Milligan is playing in the Open. This strikes me as odd given that across the room is a Women's comp. No more than odd. Simply odd.

Carry on!
Alex Jule is also playing in the open.

Capablanca-Fan
22-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm please to see the Open really being an Open, and that two women want the best opposition possible, not just gender-selected opposition.

bobby1972
22-06-2009, 10:37 AM
victorian juniors very very good.

Basil
22-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm please to see the Open really being an Open, and that two women want the best opposition possible, not just gender-selected opposition.
Sure. Doesn't all of
a) the option for women to play in the Open
b) the playing of women in the Open
c) the existence of a parallel Women's comp

frame the the Women's comp as a secondary one, such as an U1600?

Conversely, isn't the presentation of a good Women's comp in the same room (and I rate this one as such) an excellent way to develop the women's game in this country?

This post on a day when the English girls won the women's 20-20!

AzureBlue
22-06-2009, 11:13 AM
victorian juniors very very good.
Yeahh!! Go Victorian Juniors!! :) :clap: :clap: :lol:

Desmond
22-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Nice win for Amir over Kevin Tan. :clap:

ER
22-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Not that it makes much difference but why in the first case we have:

(...) strikes me as odd given that across the room is a Women's comp.
and then...

(...) presentation of a good Women's comp in the same room ?

Basil
22-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Not that it makes much difference but why in the first case we have:

and then...
?
Not that it makes much difference, but what is your point? I am at a loss to join your dots.

ER
22-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Not that it makes much difference, but what is your point? I am at a loss to join your dots.

Across the room as opposed to the same room!
plus a psychological warfare strategy to weaken your defences for Adelaide! :P

MichaelBaron
22-06-2009, 12:53 PM
To me it is quite simple:

1) Men's competition is stronger and therefore more interesting for some female players however:
2) Irina and Arianne want to go to the World Cup
3) Helen and Alxandra already got some soft titles ..so do not need them anymore therefore are playing with the men :)
4) other girls want to have a go at soft titles :)
5) Some girls prefer to play with other girls, other prefer to play with boys

Desmond
22-06-2009, 12:58 PM
plus a psychological warfare strategy to weaken your defences for Adelaide! :PSounds consistent to me.

AzureBlue
22-06-2009, 01:22 PM
plus a psychological warfare strategy to weaken your defences for Adelaide! :P
Across the room is in the same room isn't it? Not a contradiction there?

Mischa
22-06-2009, 01:27 PM
jAMES WON!!!

bobby1972
22-06-2009, 01:39 PM
how many points does morris need out of the next 4 games ,he is very close ,man that would be the yungest player ever i think?

AzureBlue
22-06-2009, 01:42 PM
jAMES WON!!!
4.5/5!!
Wow, that's pretty amazing :)

Ian Rout
22-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't see why it's odd that Helen Milligan and Alexandra Jule have chosen to play in the Zonal rather than the Women's Zonal. Interesting maybe, but not odd. If there were male players playing in the Women's Zonal that would be odd.

AzureBlue
22-06-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't see why it's odd that Helen Milligan and Alexandra Jule have chosen to play in the Zonal rather than the Women's Zonal. Interesting maybe, but not odd. If there were male players playing in the Women's Zonal that would be odd.
LOLLLLLL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Capablanca-Fan
22-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Ron Scott v Greg Canfell
Zonal R5
Quite a nice counterattack
1.e4 c5
2.Nf3 e6
3.d4 cxd4
4.Nxd4 Nf6
5.Nc3 d6
6.g4 h6
7.h4 Nc6
8.Rg1 h5
9.gxh5 Rxh5
10.Bg5 Rh8
11.Qd2 a6
12.O-O-O Qb6
13.Nb3 Bd7
14.Bg2 Ne5
15.Qe2 Rc8
16.f4 Nc4
17.e5 Nh5
18.Rge1 d5
19.Nxd5 exd5
20.Bxd5 Be6
21.f5 Ng3
22.Qd3 Bxf5
23.Qxg3 Ne3
24.Bxe3 Rxc2
25.Kb1 Qxb3
26.axb3 Rc5
0-1

Capablanca-Fan
22-06-2009, 02:19 PM
An impressive win, showing whole-board initiative, by the youngster against a powerful opponent and prolific chess author.

[Event "Oceania Zonal"]
[Site "Gold Coast"]
[Date "2009.06.22"]
[Round "5"]
[White "Morris, James"]
[Black "Lane, Gary"]
[Result "1-0"]
[PlyCount "55"]
[EventDate "2009.06.22"]
[SourceDate "2009.06.22"]
1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 g6 3. c4
Bg7 4. Nc3 O-O 5. e4 d6 6. Be2 Nbd7 7. O-O e5 8. Be3 h6 9. h3 c6 10. Qd2 Kh7 11. Rfd1 Qe7 12. dxe5 dxe5 {I don't normally like this exchange for White} 13. Rac1 Nc5 14. Qc2 Nh5 {I prefer ...a5, when Black could make use of d4, which is the key to this sort of P structure. The text move allows White to get a strong square of his own on d6} 15. b4 Ne6 16. c5 Nef4 {These Ns step on each other's toes, so are not as strong as they look. The other N should have moved there, because the one on e6 attacks d4 as well} 17. Bf1 f5 18. Rd6 {making good use of the outpost, with a menacing sideways glance at the loosened K-side. Here is a case where Nimzo was right: control of the only open d-file can often outweigh a N outpost on f4} 18... Nf6 19. Bxf4 exf4 20. Re1 Qc7 {20... fxe4 21. Nxe4 Nxe4 22. Rxe4 followed by Bd3 aiming at the Pg6} 21. e5 Ne8 22. Rdd1 Qf7 23. Ne2 g5 {One weak advanced P can drag other Ps after it, leaving weaknesses} 24. Ned4 Nc7 25. e6! Nxe6 {5... Bxe6 allows a pin after 26. Nxe6 Nxe6 27. Bc4 Rae8 28. Qb3} 26. Nxf5! Kh8 {26... Qxf5 27. Bd3} 27. Nd6 {this powerful N is the final straw for Black} 27... Qc7 28. Bc4 {Since Black failed to fight for d4, this N now finds itself without protection or any decent safe square to hide. If 28... Rf6, then that versatile Nd6 hops to e8 with a deadly fork, and 28...Nd8 allows 29.Qg6 followed by Bd3} 1-0

Igor_Goldenberg
22-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Good refutation of 17...f5. Well done. He now shares a lead with Bjelobrk!

Bill Gletsos
22-06-2009, 03:31 PM
If a tie occurs between players eligible for the IM and FM titles have the organise/arbiter announced what tie breaking method they will use to determine who gets the IM and FM titles.

Thunderspirit
22-06-2009, 04:30 PM
If a tie occurs between players eligible for the IM and FM titles have the organise/arbiter announced what tie breaking method they will use to determine who gets the IM and FM titles.

Does any one know what tie-break method will be used, if it is needed?

Was it made public before the tourament started, or will just choose one?? Seriously hope the aribters did so??

Igor_Goldenberg
22-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Four more rounds to go. A bit too early to consider tie-breaks.

Bill Gletsos
22-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Does any one know what tie-break method will be used, if it is needed?

Was it made public before the tourament started, or will just choose one?? Seriously hope the aribters did so??Having had a look around I see that the tie-break procedures are specified on the entry form.

ER
22-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Berezina had an even easier
day, winning her fourth round
game in only eight moves
after Sue Maroroa became
upset at being told she should
not talk to her boyfriend, GM
Gawain Jones, during games
and resigned in tears. (Jones
had earlier received a warning
about talking to Maroroa
during round 3.)

I don't know about you guys, I reckon the arbiter is right in this one!

kjenhager
22-06-2009, 05:26 PM
i agree

ER
22-06-2009, 05:40 PM
i agree
particularly after this part

(Jones had earlier received a warning
about talking to Maroroa
during round 3.)
You don't get warnings for no reason!

Capablanca-Fan
22-06-2009, 05:42 PM

Agreed. It's up to them not only to be honest, but to be seen to be honest.

Garvinator
22-06-2009, 05:48 PM

And from what is being said here, she only received a warning. Nothing more.

ER
22-06-2009, 06:22 PM
And from what is being said here, she only received a warning. Nothing more.
Geez what did you expect a public execution or something??? :P

MichaelBaron
22-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Would I be Maroa, i would not dare to use Jones's advice while playing Caoili - Arianne got Aronian on hand :).

Denis_Jessop
22-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Geez what did you expect a public execution or something??? :P

The Fide Laws do not provide for public (or even private) executions so the arbiters would be taking grave risks in executing any players - it may lead to an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. :D :D

DJ

Mischa
22-06-2009, 07:53 PM
go James?

ER
22-06-2009, 07:59 PM
(...) so the arbiters would be taking grave risks in executing any players - (...)
Not Garvinator (as well as Bergil coming to think of it); they would use some kind of extrajudicial procedure for summary executions to get over and done with it! :P

Mischa
22-06-2009, 08:05 PM
hey you always are gunning for the juniors....go james?

Goughfather
22-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Berezina had an even easier
day, winning her fourth round
game in only eight moves
after Sue Maroroa became
upset at being told she should
not talk to her boyfriend, GM
Gawain Jones, during games
and resigned in tears. (Jones
about talking to Maroroa
during round 3.)

Is there any concrete accusation that Sue has been receiving advice from Jones? Personally, I'd be surprised if a person of Jones' calibre would even risk being suspected of something like that. Moreover, this doesn't seem to correlate at all well with Sue's recent performance ratings, which are nothing like 2500.

kjenhager
22-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Is there any concrete accusation that Sue has been receiving advice from Jones? Personally, I'd be surprised if a person of Jones' calibre would even risk being suspected of something like that. Moreover, this doesn't seem to correlate at all well with Sue's recent performance ratings, which are nothing like 2500.
Beside the point .
As Jono said "It's up to them not only to be honest, but to be seen to be honest."

Capablanca-Fan
22-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Here's a good win by Garrett against a player almost 300 points higher rated:

George Lester – Marc Vliestra
1.d4 Nf6
2.c4 g6
3.Nc3 Bg7
4.e4 d6
5.h3 O-O
6.Bg5 c6
7.Bd3 Qc7
8.Qd2 e5
9.d5 c5
10.g4 a6
11.Nge2 Ne8
12.Ng3 f6
13.Be3 Nd7
14.a4 Rb8
15.h4 Nb6
16.f3 Qd8
17.h5 Rf7
18.hxg6 hxg6
19.Qh2 Rf8
20.Qh7 Kf7
21.Rh6 g5
22.Qg6 Ke7
23.Rh7 Rg8
24.Bxg5 fxg5
25.Qxg5 Kd7
26.Qf5 Kc7
27.Qf7 Bd7
28.Qxg8 Qf6
29.Be2 Nc8
30.Nh5 Qh4
31.Kd2 Qg5
32.Kc2 Kb6
33.Rxg7 Nxg7
34.Qxg7 Qxg7
35.Nxg7 Ne7
36.Nf5 Bxf5
37.exf5 Rh8
38.Ne4 Rh2
39.Kd3 Kc7
40.Rf1 b5
41.axb5 axb5
42.b3 bxc4
43.bxc4 Kd7
44.Ra1 Nc8
45.f6 Nb6
46.Ra7 Ke8
47.Nxd6 Kd8
48.Nf7 Ke8
49.Nxe5 Kd8
50.f7 1-0

Jim_Flood
22-06-2009, 10:09 PM
The Fide Laws do not provide for public (or even private) executions so the arbiters would be taking grave risks in executing any players - it may lead to an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. :D :D

DJ

Denis,

Are you inferring that FIDE no longer applies the guillotine? In any case, if it were applied any appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport would need to be posthumous.

Capablanca-Fan
22-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Are you inferring that FIDE no longer applies the guillotine?
That's surprising, since it was founded in France and is of course a French acronym.

Alana
22-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Random question which is being asked very very very very very early, does anyone yet know where the 2010 Zonal is going to be held? Because I really want to play and would have this year if not for school + being under 18 still + $300 entry fee.

Bereaved
22-06-2009, 11:50 PM
go James?

No it is said as GO JAMES!!!!

He is doing exceptionally well, and I am very proud to see it, not that it is my work being shown, more the young man himself, but still a very strong start to the event, which I look forward to being followed by a strong conclusion.

I told him that he was very strong the other day and he brushed me off with, " I'm a patzer " To which I replied, "alright, a patzer champion" which he liked, and accepted as humourous

I am very keen to follow the remaining games of James in this event closely.

All Victoria should be proud of his efforts, and wish him well

ER
22-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Random question which is being asked very very very very very early, does anyone yet know where the 2010 Zonal is going to be held? Because I really want to play and would have this year if not for school + being under 18 still + $300 entry fee.
We 'll try to have it in Melbourne! :P Not even midnight yet, c'mon Melbourne let's go Topoliino's or Toto's! :P

Ian Rout
23-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Random question which is being asked very very very very very early, does anyone yet know where the 2010 Zonal is going to be held?Is there a 2010 Zonal? I don't think many people know what the WC cycle is at present but it's probably not twelve-monthly.

Mischa
23-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Is there a 2010 Zonal? I don't think many people know what the WC cycle is at present but it's probably not twelve-monthly.

Every two years?
Fiji was 2007

Davidflude
23-06-2009, 12:07 PM
We 'll try to have it in Melbourne! :P Not even midnight yet, c'mon Melbourne let's go Topoliino's or Toto's! :P

Toto's is always crowded.

Eastern Sububrbs people go to Sofias in Camberwell. Toto's was the first pizza place in Melbourne but Sofias was the second. Sofias is really close to the Camberwell railway station.

Kevin Bonham
23-06-2009, 06:59 PM

I'd be interested to know if there was any background beyond what we know and whether complaints were made by other players. After all it is not against the rules to talk to another player during a game, provided no-one is distracted and no advice or information is transferred. But there are sometimes situations where suspicion is difficult to avoid whether founded or not. Players conversing in a language unknown to the arbiter is a classic case of this.

Ideally players wishing to converse with each other during a game and where there may be suspicion should do so within the hearing of an arbiter and in a language understood by that arbiter. This is not always easy to arrange.

antichrist
23-06-2009, 07:28 PM
How can you make a bet? and what is the ratio?

George I thought that now you are a Christian you don't bet anymore - but good luck with it anyway and the Zonal if you are there. I was there today but no games so came home.

ER
23-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I'd be interested to know if there was any background beyond what we know and whether complaints were made by other players. After all it is not against the rules to talk to another player during a game, provided no-one is distracted and no advice or information is transferred. But there are sometimes situations where suspicion is difficult to avoid whether founded or not. Players conversing in a language unknown to the arbiter is a classic case of this.
Ideally players wishing to converse with each other during a game and where there may be suspicion should do so within the hearing of an arbiter and in a language understood by that arbiter. This is not always easy to arrange.

That's all I know

(Jones
about talking to Maroroa
during round 3.)

Issuing a warning in the first place is a clear indication that (according to the arbiter) there was some sort of violation.

Nicholas D-C
23-06-2009, 08:36 PM
The odd thing is that Maroroa and Jones were talking continually in the Doeberl Cup and SIO, but no one made any complaint that I know of. I personally don't think anyone should be talking during the games, except perhaps to say hello or ask the result of a game. It can be distracting for other players, and may lead to allegations of cheating. It seems understandable to me that Sue was asked not to talk by the arbiter, and it's a perfectly reasonable request. Also, why would Sue talk to Jones so frequently anyway? It's not as if they don't see each other very often, and would probably just distract her from her games. The whole situation seems very strange to me.:hmm:

ER
23-06-2009, 08:41 PM
The odd thing is that Maroroa and Jones were talking continually in the Doeberl Cup and SIO,

well, I can assure you the same thing happened in the Vic Open!

Mischa
23-06-2009, 09:11 PM
In the past I have often heard people discussing stuff in another language during games...including players.
I was once told off for telling James to slow down..he was 8 and he was running through the hall....

Goughfather
23-06-2009, 10:03 PM
The odd thing is that Maroroa and Jones were talking continually in the Doeberl Cup and SIO, but no one made any complaint that I know of. I personally don't think anyone should be talking during the games, except perhaps to say hello or ask the result of a game. It can be distracting for other players, and may lead to allegations of cheating. It seems understandable to me that Sue was asked not to talk by the arbiter, and it's a perfectly reasonable request. Also, why would Sue talk to Jones so frequently anyway? It's not as if they don't see each other very often, and would probably just distract her from her games. The whole situation seems very strange to me.:hmm:

If you really want to know Nicholas, I'll explain it all to you when you're older.

I guess what I was getting at before is that chess players have a predilection towards suspicion, paranoia and making excuses when they lose. Just think about the now infamous "Cleaveage-gate" saga in South Australia some years ago now. The qualities would explain why some players have wished to make complaints about Sue. Sue and Gawain are young people in love and while public displays of affection may make some people uncomfortable, it doesn't establish (without anything more) reasonable grounds to suspect Sue of cheating.

ER
23-06-2009, 10:26 PM
(...) it doesn't establish (without anything more) reasonable grounds to suspect Sue of cheating
The underlined word was never intended to be a part of my previous postings as a suspicion, innuendo or allegation. I was actually referring to this part of your last posting

while public displays of affection may make some people uncomfortable,
which (not being a conservative redneck) I don't mind at all, although I can't claim it helps my concentration on my game either! :P

Nicholas D-C
23-06-2009, 10:47 PM
If you really want to know Nicholas, I'll explain it all to you when you're older.

Hmmm...what could that refer to?;) I don't think she would cheat, I just mean that they don't really need to talk during the games, and that would avoid any difficulties.

ER
23-06-2009, 11:08 PM
In further commentary...

The battle for third place (and a potential Women’s
International Master title is wide open, though Sue
Maroroa has the inside running as she has played both
leaders (and has a Grandmaster for a moral support
during games).

Alana
23-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Every two years?
Fiji was 2007

I was looking this up. Next Oceania Zonal is in New Zealand in 2011, looks like every two years :(

Mischa
23-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Hey Alana...maybe we need to get a team together and hire a place now!!!

Garvinator
23-06-2009, 11:20 PM
I was looking this up. Next Oceania Zonal is in New Zealand in 2011, looks like every two years :(
Rotorua at this stage to be exact. Looks like either March/April or May depending on tournaments over here to avoid a clash.

Goughfather
24-06-2009, 01:01 AM
The underlined word was never intended to be a part of my previous postings as a suspicion, innuendo or allegation. I was actually referring to this part of your last posting

which (not being a conservative redneck) I don't mind at all, although I can't claim it helps my concentration on my game either! :P

So, if I understand you correctly, is it suggested that Sue was asked to stop cavorting with Gawain because other competitors were finding their public displays of affection off-putting?

Rotorua at this stage to be exact. Looks like either March/April or May depending on tournaments over here to avoid a clash.

I'd had the impression that we were entering the Asian zone and that this was the last Oceania Zonal, per se. Does this mean that cheap FM titles will still be available come 2011?

ER
24-06-2009, 01:17 AM
So, if I understand you correctly, is it suggested that Sue was asked to stop cavorting with Gawain because other competitors were finding their public displays of affection off-putting?

No! The other way around, since

(Jones
about talking to Maroroa
during round 3.)

and my

has to do with the arbiter's being consistent with his/her initial warning whatever its reason (still unknown to me) was!

Capablanca-Fan
24-06-2009, 01:18 AM
James is doing really well. Good luck and keep it up!
This win against a top QLD junior rated >200 points higher was quite something: White seemed to have all the running, with a N outpost on d6 and control of the centre, yet Black worked around all that to throw a grenade on f3:

[Event "Tweed Heads Oceanic Zonal"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2009.06.21"]
[Round "4.6"]
[White "Ly, Moulthun"]
[Black "Morris, James"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "B22"]
[WhiteElo "2340"]
[BlackElo "2114"]
[PlyCount "64"]
[EventDate "2009.06.??"]
[EventType "swiss"]
[EventRounds "9"]
[EventCountry "AUS"]
[Source "MonRoi"]

1. e4 c5 2. c3 Nf6 3. e5 Nd5 4. d4 e6 5. Nf3 Nc6 6. c4 Ndb4 7. dxc5 a5 8. Nc3 Bxc5 9. Ne4 Be7 10. Be2 O-O 11. Bf4 f5 12. exf6 Bxf6 13. Bd6 Rf7 14. Nxf6+ Qxf6 15. Qd2 Nd4 16. O-O Nxe2+ 17. Qxe2 Nc6 18. Rfd1 b6 19. b3 Bb7 20. Qe3 Qg6 21. Bg3 Raf8 22. Ng5 Rf5 23. Ne4 Ba8 24. Nd6 Rc5 25. f3 h5 26. Rd2 h4 27. Bxh4 Ne5 28. Bg3 Rxf3 29. Qe2 Rxg3 30. hxg3 Qxg3 31. Kf1 Ng4 32. Qe1 Nh2+ 0-1

Igor_Goldenberg
24-06-2009, 09:29 AM
This win against a top QLD junior rated >200 points higher was quite something: White seemed to have all the running, with a N outpost on d6 and control of the centre, yet Black worked around all that to throw a grenade on f3:

It took me a lot of time to notice the line 29.gxf3 Nxf3+ 30.Kf1(2) Nxd2 31.Qxd2 Qf6+! winning the rook a1. Most likely I would've missed it in the game as black or as white until black played 28...Rxf3

Vlad
24-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Very impressive game... It looks like another Smerdon is coming up. Would be interesting to watch how "old" Smerdon plays with "young" Smerdon tonight..:)

Kevin Bonham
24-06-2009, 09:42 AM
AR's blog quotes GM Jones saying that there was a complaint made although the complaining party is not named.

Issuing a warning in the first place is a clear indication that (according to the arbiter) there was some sort of violation.

Not necessarily. The arbiter has duties to act in the interests of the competition and on that basis can issue warnings to players to desist from contentious behaviour even if the behaviour in question is not clearly against the rules.

Basil
24-06-2009, 10:35 AM
AR's blog quotes GM Jones saying that there was a complaint made although the complaining party is not named.
That must be tough going through life like that - I wonder if it was cruel joke by the parents. With that sort of chip on shoulder, I'd probably complain about lots of things too.

Capablanca-Fan
24-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Not necessarily. The arbiter has duties to act in the interests of the competition and on that basis can issue warnings to players to desist from contentious behaviour even if the behaviour in question is not clearly against the rules.
It's still a puzzle why Sue resigned in tears, when all she got was a second warning, not even a time penalty.

Igor_Goldenberg
24-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Sometimes arbiters reprimand players for talking (quite rightfully, IMHO). It does not mean an accusation of something untoward like cheating.

Garrett
24-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey if Guy or George or Damien or Gino is reading this I've booked a court for 9am tomorrow morning.

I'll try to catch up this afternoon before the game to try to organise a game of doubles.

Victorians probably have a BIG advantage though, with origin night tonite...

ha ha ha

Cheers
Garrett.

Garrett
24-06-2009, 11:28 AM

yeah that's a good one.

I really liked his game against Lane too.

cheers
Garrett.

MichaelBaron
24-06-2009, 11:52 AM
with the "Maroa-Jones" case - i think the issue was - she was publicly displaying affection towards a GM..rather than simply publicly displaying affection.

Otherwise, opponents would not care :)

ER
24-06-2009, 12:36 PM
with the "Maroa-Jones" case - i think the issue was - she was publicly displaying affection towards a GM..rather than simply publicly displaying affection.

Otherwise, opponents would not care :)

lol hold on! She displayed this kind of affection to Jones while playing me at the Vic Open. Actually the GM had a thorough look at the position (the chess position) before they both departed for a short walk while publicly displaying the kind of affection you are talking about! I didn't find that suspicious nor did I complain about it! :P :owned: :whistle:

bobby1972
24-06-2009, 01:14 PM
the real deal looking very real.as a chess parent i would like to know what cereal he grew up on.

Mischa
24-06-2009, 01:45 PM
he liked Secial K

bobby1972
24-06-2009, 03:28 PM
how come malcolm got no game again ?

Mischa
24-06-2009, 04:28 PM
He withdrew

Kevin Bonham
24-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Said it in the shoutbox but I'll say it here too: the live coverage with the Monrois and Ian Rogers' live commentary is excellent.

Garvinator
24-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Said it in the shoutbox but I'll say it here too: the live coverage with the Monrois and Ian Rogers' live commentary is excellent.
:clap: :clap:

Goughfather
24-06-2009, 07:15 PM

I still think the whole thing is rather weak. The whole thing more or less gives whingey chess players a licence to make up all kinds of vexatious and spurious complaints real or imagined about other competitors.

Jim_Flood
24-06-2009, 07:50 PM
I still think the whole thing is rather weak. The whole thing more or less gives whingey chess players a licence to make up all kinds of vexatious and spurious complaints real or imagined about other competitors.

While that may be the case, isn't it for the arbiter to decide on the merits of the claim? That's why they are there. Poor blighters.

Definition of a good tournament: One where all the players wonder why, having nothing to do, the arbiter bothered to turn up.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
24-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Smerdon-Morris 1-0

Haven't had the opportunity to run this through the computer, but after giving the game a quick look over and reading GM Roger's comments, it appears to me that the game was a chess tragedy for James.

My comments on the game:

1. James was brave in taking on David in the latter's pet variation (i.e. the c3 Sicilian) - incidentally James did not do too well out of the opening in the earlier game versus Moulthon Ly, when he failed to play ...cxd4, thus allowing Moulthon to play c4 and misplacing James' pieces (however, Moulthon then allowed James back into that game by relieving the tension at various stages).

There was, of course, interesting by-play with David playing 2.Nf3, but James must have known that there was a large possibility of a transposition into the c3 Sicilian after 2...e6.

Of course James had a whole day to prepare for this variation and I think he chose a good sort of set-up, which incidentally is one that is recommended by GM Rogozenko in his book Anti-Sicilians, A Guide for Black (Gambit - see pages leading up to and including p. 64).

2. David launched a dubious attack into the middlegame, which looked good, but which with accurate play, that James found, could be neutralised - leaving James with a material plus and Smerdon with minimal counterplay. It should also be noted that James had a significant time plus also at this stage.

3. The turning point was, in my opinion, 25...Qa3. Not only did this take the Queen away from the protection of the King (something that it missed as e6 became vulnerable), but it also, to my eyes, seemed a like psychological prelude to the blunder 26...Rd1. I think that 25...Qa3 may have been played by James a possibly a means to further the cause of liquidations (e.g. by exchanging Queens after the Knights clear the 3rd rank), but of course the move's chief defect was to enable White's counterplay.

4. It seemed that James say his blunder not too long after he played it (if we are to believe Roger's comments that "Morris has seen it - he is near tears."). I think that this was also a crucial psychological point in the game - why I will explain later.

5. David obviously didn't see the best reply leading to mate in response to James' blunder, but played what seemed like a reasonable variation on the best response, that led to a material plus for White. That he did so might be explained by he lack of time at this point.

6. Now the psychology of the situation referred to in poin4 4 took its toll on James - I think he must have been massively relieved that escaping from mate and indeed had good counterchances with his passed a and b pawns. However, it was this point that James should have doubled his effort to find the best move (which he had with the luxury of quite a bit more time than his opponent). Instead, he appeared to have relaxed and lost his a-pawn in unfavourable circumstances.

7. Once this above had happened and David made the time control - it was an easy task for White to convert the win.

Overall, I think James will be proud of the way he played the first half of this game, but with regret the latter half.

NRMASIFD&GKFKBBK
24-06-2009, 09:08 PM
I hope that James is not too depressed by this defeat and recovers well to play out the rest of the tournament at his high standard. The fear is that, being the emotional player that he is, this may not eventuate.

Incidentally, I believe that in many respects being an emotional player is something that, on the whole makes James (and some others) a strong player. James doesn't accept defeats or blunders with a sanguine attitude - the game means that much to him. That to me is a sign of a player who is hungry, who has motivation.

The task for James (and his coaches and supporters) is to couple that hunger with a resilient resolve to improve on his current performance, both on the board and in his mind.

Mischa
24-06-2009, 09:11 PM
he has no coaches

Mischa
24-06-2009, 09:13 PM
but many friends

MichaelBaron
24-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Smerdon - Morris was a very interesting struggle with both players playing very creatively. Unfortunately for James, he was on the losing end of it - but he fought very well!

Capablanca-Fan
24-06-2009, 11:42 PM
I agree. :clap: :clap: But what's Rogers' beef with positional play? I can't imagine Capablanca, Petroyan or Karpov agreeing. :hmm:

MichaelBaron
25-06-2009, 12:16 AM
In response to Jono: I think in Australia...we love Rogers for being our first grandmaster! It says it all :)

Capablanca-Fan
25-06-2009, 12:21 AM
In response to Jono: I think in Australia...we love Rogers for being our first grandmaster! It says it all :)
For sure. Even in retirement, he would be a favorite to win that tourney. E.g. he spotted that long mating combination missed by both Smurf and Morris.

Igor_Goldenberg
25-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I agree. :clap: :clap: But what's Rogers' beef with positional play? I can't imagine Capablanca, Petroyan or Karpov agreeing. :hmm:
I have to disagree. In his commentaries, and on few occasions when I had a chance to analyse together (or witness him analysing) and in few conversation I learnt quite a lot, especially in terms of positional play.

He might have been just a great tactician during his youth, but nowadays he has a very good positional understanding which nobody in Australia can rival today (even Zhao and Johanson).

Igor_Goldenberg
25-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Smerdon-Morris 1-0

Haven't had the opportunity to run this through the computer, but after giving the game a quick look over and reading GM Roger's comments, it appears to me that the game was a chess tragedy for James.

My comments on the game:

1. James was brave in taking on David in the latter's pet variation (i.e. the c3 Sicilian) - incidentally James did not do too well out of the opening in the earlier game versus Moulthon Ly, when he failed to play ...cxd4, thus allowing Moulthon to play c4 and misplacing James' pieces (however, Moulthon then allowed James back into that game by relieving the tension at various stages).

There was, of course, interesting by-play with David playing 2.Nf3, but James must have known that there was a large possibility of a transposition into the c3 Sicilian after 2...e6.

Of course James had a whole day to prepare for this variation and I think he chose a good sort of set-up, which incidentally is one that is recommended by GM Rogozenko in his book Anti-Sicilians, A Guide for Black (Gambit - see pages leading up to and including p. 64).

2. David launched a dubious attack into the middlegame, which looked good, but which with accurate play, that James found, could be neutralised - leaving James with a material plus and Smerdon with minimal counterplay. It should also be noted that James had a significant time plus also at this stage.

3. The turning point was, in my opinion, 25...Qa3. Not only did this take the Queen away from the protection of the King (something that it missed as e6 became vulnerable), but it also, to my eyes, seemed a like psychological prelude to the blunder 26...Rd1. I think that 25...Qa3 may have been played by James a possibly a means to further the cause of liquidations (e.g. by exchanging Queens after the Knights clear the 3rd rank), but of course the move's chief defect was to enable White's counterplay.

4. It seemed that James say his blunder not too long after he played it (if we are to believe Roger's comments that "Morris has seen it - he is near tears."). I think that this was also a crucial psychological point in the game - why I will explain later.

5. David obviously didn't see the best reply leading to mate in response to James' blunder, but played what seemed like a reasonable variation on the best response, that led to a material plus for White. That he did so might be explained by he lack of time at this point.

6. Now the psychology of the situation referred to in poin4 4 took its toll on James - I think he must have been massively relieved that escaping from mate and indeed had good counterchances with his passed a and b pawns. However, it was this point that James should have doubled his effort to find the best move (which he had with the luxury of quite a bit more time than his opponent). Instead, he appeared to have relaxed and lost his a-pawn in unfavourable circumstances.

7. Once this above had happened and David made the time control - it was an easy task for White to convert the win.

Overall, I think James will be proud of the way he played the first half of this game, but with regret the latter half.

I agree with the analysis, especially that 25...Qa3 was a turning point. Ability to calmly convert superior position to a full pint comes with experience. Personally, I still haven't mastered that particular skill.

Basil
25-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Ability to calmly convert superior position to a full pint comes with experience. Personally, I still haven't mastered that particular skill.
This should be teleported to the thread concerning chess advice. I forget what it's called. I forget where it is.

Capablanca-Fan
25-06-2009, 10:24 AM
I have to disagree. In his commentaries, and on few occasions when I had a chance to analyse together (or witness him analysing) and in few conversation I learnt quite a lot, especially in terms of positional play.
No doubt. My point was his comment in one of Caoili's games, "positional play doesn't matter".

He might have been just a great tactician during his youth, but nowadays he has a very good positional understanding which nobody in Australia can rival today (even Zhao and Johanson).
Again true, which explains my question in the context of his explicit comments.

Hobbes
25-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Ability to calmly convert superior position to a full pint comes with experience. Personally, I still haven't mastered that particular skill.

This should be teleported to the thread concerning chess advice. I forget what it's called. I forget where it is.
Gunner, have you been converting some pints this morning?

Basil
25-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Gunner, have you been converting some pints this morning?
I wish! Perhaps I wasn't clear. (Perhaps I was :eek:)

There is a thread on this board concerning chess advice.
Its purpose, among other things, is to be a receptacle for chess sagacity.
I felt that Igor's comment was worthy of addition to the collective.

Igor_Goldenberg
25-06-2009, 11:31 AM
No doubt. My point was his comment in one of Caoili's games, "positional play doesn't matter".

I see. I view as an ironic remark. With all due respect to the players of this game, they haven't reached the level where positional play is more decisive then small tactics. In truth very few Australian players reached that level (and unfortunately I am not among them:eh: ).

Ian Rout
25-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Well you're entitled to think what you wish, and if you're happy to have your opponents chatting with whoever they please that's up to you. Most of us in most cases don't take exception to our opponents socialising but that doesn't make it a right.

There seems to be a disconnect to believing that the pool of chess players includes disreputable members who are "whingey" and propagate imaginery and vexatious complaints, yet that if people drawn from the same pool have free rein to socialise their interactions will be impeccable, restricted to observations about the weather and the exchange of bodily fluids.

Though I do agree that most conversations at tournaments are not for the purpose of cheating. I know this because so many of them are conducted in the playing area where everybody can hear, or outside but at sufficient volume to be heard in the playing room.

bobby1972
25-06-2009, 03:11 PM
can the top boards please play a bit faster today .Simon & Garfunkel starts at 8.

ER
25-06-2009, 04:21 PM
can the top boards please play a bit faster today .Simon & Garfunkel starts at 8.
"Slow down you move to fast
You 've gotta make the morning last!" :P

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2009, 09:47 PM
There are some comments from Gawain Jones on the talking incidents in a thread at TCG:

http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/2009/06/high-emotions-in-gold-coast.html?showComment=1245725909243#c739595214763 0871744

Rincewind
25-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Is Gawain right when he says "The playing hall includes the toilets and thus the area between them and the chess boards."?

That seems odd to me. I would say the playing hall is just what is referred to in the laws as the playing area. Law 12.5 says

Players are not allowed to leave the `playing venue` without permission from the arbiter. The playing venue is defined as the playing area, rest rooms, refreshment area, area set aside for smoking and other places as designated by the arbiter.
The player having the move is not allowed to leave the playing area without permission of the arbiter.

Since the playing area and the restrooms are identified separately they are not the same.

I take it Ian wrote something somewhere that Sue left the playing hall (which I'm reading to mean playing area) and which does not necessarily include the restrooms and any area in between.

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Further up on that thread GM Jones asks Ian to retract the claim that Sue Mararoa ever left the "playing venue" but it is clear that Ian said "playing hall" and the two are indeed different concepts.

As to whether "playing hall" = "playing area" any toilets directly adjacent to the room where games were being played are clearly not part of the playing area as defined by FIDE, for the reason Rincewind mentions. The term "playing hall" is not one of the two terms used by FIDE so really whether the "playing hall" is considered to include toilets or not (in my view it doesn't) is no big deal.

Unless we are talking Topalov-Kramnik, in which case the toilets were the playing area for the match as defined by Topalov and anything going on outside them was merely a distraction.

Jesper Norgaard
25-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Smerdon-Morris 1-0

My comments on the game:

Ian gives Qa3 as a dubious move, but suggests no better move. I find it hard to find a constructive move for Black instead of Qa3. Perhaps a chance is 25...h5 26.Qxh5,Rxd2 27.Nxd2,Qd8 28.Nf3,Bb4 with a wild position where White has some problems because of back-rank threats and because the Queen on h5 is hanging. The threat now is Ne2+ with Qd1+ to follow. Wild! :hmm:

Interestingly Ian makes a mistake himself in the comment giving the mate that Smerdon missed as 27.Rxg6+,fxg6 28.Dxe6+,Kh7 29.Sg5+!,Kxh6 30.Qh3+!,Kxg5 31.f4+!,Kxf4 32.Qh4+,Kf5 33.Qf6+,Kg4 and now 34.h3+?,Kg3?? 35.Qg5+mate but Black can defend with 33...Kh5! 34.g4+,Kh6 35.Qh8+,Kg5 36.Qf6+,Kh6 and White has no more than perpetual check. The correct variation runs 34.Qxg6+ and we have the symmetrical variations 34...Kh4 35.g3+,Kh3 36.Qh5+ mate and 34...Kf4 35.g3+,Kf3 36.Qf5+ mate.

Goughfather
25-06-2009, 10:42 PM
If "playing hall" equates to "playing area", does this then mean that the rules (defined loosely in the most Kafkaesque sense) established for the Oceania Zonal exceed those that are stipulated by FIDE? The FIDE rules seem to suggest that a player is free to leave the playing area, just as long as they do not have the move and do not leave the playing venue.

Of course, this raises another interesting point - unless the arbiters specifically designate the area between the playing area and the rest room as part of the playing venue, would this not mean that players would actually leave the playing venue in the interval between leaving the playing area and arriving in the restrooms?

WhiteElephant
25-06-2009, 10:53 PM
On Amiel's blog it reads like Ian and Cathy have it in for Gawain & Sue for some reason.

Have to say it really saddens me reading about this incident. It has been great having Gawain and Sue playing in Australian tournaments. This reads like a case of anal players complaining and heavy handed arbiters although it's hard to tell for sure without being there.

Mischa
25-06-2009, 10:57 PM
are they from ACT or NSW?

WhiteElephant
25-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Who do you mean, Mischa?

By the way, Gawain makes good points about smokers being allowed outside and players sitting in the analysis room moving pieces while their games are in progress.

Kevin Bonham
25-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Who do you mean, Mischa?

I'm guessing this is Mischa yet again reading state rivalry and anti-Victorian bias into things whether it is actually there or not.

By the way, Gawain makes good points about smokers being allowed outside and players sitting in the analysis room moving pieces while their games are in progress.

His comment about smokers was interesting. It's true that smokers, by virtue of needing to practice their addiction (at least for many that's what it is) outside, may be gaining access to fresh air that other players miss. One could allow non-smokers to use the same area but unless it is large that might defeat the purpose since the air would not be fresh to a non-smoker's standards if there were people smoking there. Seems reasonable to say that any player who wants to can go outside during a game when not on the move provided they don't go more than x metres from the door. Running round the block mid-game should of course be out of the question. I sometimes find it useful to go outside mid-game for a different reason: sometimes I need to swing my arms around to reduce the stress of a very tense position, and it's not always possible to do that inside.

And yes, players shouldn't be moving pieces in the analysis room during their games just in case a position similar to their game position comes up in the process. It is like reading chess books during games which I hope everyone realises is a no-no even when the game is totally dissimilar to what is in the book.

Bill Gletsos
25-06-2009, 11:16 PM
If "playing hall" equates to "playing area", does this then mean that the rules (defined loosely in the most Kafkaesque sense) established for the Oceania Zonal exceed those that are stipulated by FIDE? The FIDE rules seem to suggest that a player is free to leave the playing area, just as long as they do not have the move and do not leave the playing venue.

Of course, this raises another interesting point - unless the arbiters specifically designate the area between the playing area and the rest room as part of the playing venue, would this not mean that players would actually leave the playing venue in the interval between leaving the playing area and arriving in the restrooms?No, restrooms are part of the playing venue.

Article 12.5
Players are not allowed to leave the `playing venue` without permission from the arbiter. The playing venue is defined as the playing area, rest rooms, refreshment area, area set aside for smoking and other places as designated by the arbiter.
The player having the move is not allowed to leave the playing area without permission of the arbiter.

WhiteElephant
25-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Seems reasonable to say that any player who wants to can go outside during a game when not on the move provided they don't go more than x metres from the door. Running round the block mid-game should of course be out of the question. I sometimes find it useful to go outside mid-game for a different reason: sometimes I need to swing my arms around to reduce the stress of a very tense position, and it's not always possible to do that inside.

Yep, exactly. I feel for G & S with this double standard issue because in my last tourney there was an announcement made that iPods were not permitted. I reluctantly stopped listening to mine and then looked around to see other players with headphones on. It really pissed me off and made it hard to concentrate on my game. I know that the arbiters have a tough job but maybe there was a way to handle the situation better?

Goughfather
25-06-2009, 11:28 PM
No, restrooms are part of the playing venue.

I don't think you understand quite what I am saying. The playing area is part of the playing venue, the restroom is part of the playing venue, but unless the arbiter specifically determines that the passage between the playing area and the restroom is part of the playing venue, then players are actually outside of the playing venue until they reach the sanctuary of the restroom.

Rincewind
25-06-2009, 11:40 PM
I don't think you understand quite what I am saying. The playing area is part of the playing venue, the restroom is part of the playing venue, but unless the arbiter specifically determines that the passage between the playing area and the restroom is part of the playing venue, then players are actually outside of the playing venue until they reach the sanctuary of the restroom.

I think one could argue that by specifying the playing area and restrooms the arbiters implicitly designate any linking passages as part of the playing venue. I think this is what Gawain means and his statement about the restrooms and the area in between makes perfect sense (to me) if you use the phrase "playing venue" in place of "playing hall".

Beval8
26-06-2009, 01:15 AM

Sheroff
26-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Nice game by Solo against Bjelbrk - Qxg3!! followed by the strong Bf4! Sweet. I understand Ly also made a pleasing queen sac in his game in Round 8, though I haven't seen the game.

Now this is how chess should be played - sac the queen, apply the pressure, and sit back and wait for the applause....

Though I have say the most admirable result was Smurf's defensive tenacity in a very difficult endgame against Zhao - a lot of players would have crumbled to a loss instead of grinding out the draw here. Heroic, especially considering the tournament position at the time.

Smerdon is the man...

Kevin Casey

ER
26-06-2009, 10:03 AM
(...) His comment about smokers was interesting. It's true that smokers, by virtue of needing to practice their addiction (at least for many that's what it is) outside, may be gaining access to fresh air that other players miss. One could allow non-smokers to use the same area but unless it is large that might defeat the purpose since the air would not be fresh to a non-smoker's standards if there were people smoking there. (...)

This is an extremely important point and has to be given the consideration it deserves. Being an ex-smoker I can see the situation from both points of view.
When I was a smoker, going out for a smoke break along with other fellow smokers was really a good "refreshing" :eek: experience!
Nowadays, going out for a fresh air break is not on anymore! The place really stinks of tobacco and the stench remains in the area! Also smokers coming back to the playing area after their break carry with them that horrible stale smoke stench which stays there for a long time!
I really feel the need to apologise to my fellow non smoking chessplayers for the discomfort I caused to them when I was a smoker!

MichaelBaron
26-06-2009, 10:11 AM
While ideally smoking should be disallowed at chess tournaments. Right now, it is one of the legally available addictions. Therefore, banning smoking all together would be difficult. But things are getting better. Some years ago, people were allowed to smoke at the board!

Basil
26-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I really feel the need to apologise to my fellow non smoking chessplayers for the discomfort I caused to them when I was a smoker!
Well, let's have it. And make it a good one.

ER
26-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Well, let's have it. And make it a good one.
You first! :P

Basil
26-06-2009, 11:08 AM
You first! :P
Right. I won't clog this thread and I'm heading off to work now. However, I will do it properly in fag thread, perhaps over the weekend.

Capablanca-Fan
26-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Nice game by Solo against Bjelbrk - Qxg3!! followed by the strong Bf4! Sweet.
Lots of far-sighted tic-tacs, as Solo would say.

I understand Ly also made a pleasing queen sac in his game in Round 8, though I haven't seen the game.
Yes, it was RBP for Q, and this B was a vital guardian of the light squares in the Sveshnikov Sicilian. Ly's pieces swarmed all over them.

Though I have say the most admirable result was Smurf's defensive tenacity in a very difficult endgame against Zhao - a lot of players would have crumbled to a loss instead of grinding out the draw here. Heroic, especially considering the tournament position at the time.
I still don't understand why Zhao swapped Qs; pure opp-B endgames are often drawn. But with the Qs on, there are Zugzwang possibilities, as Bronstein showed against Reshevsky (http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1033870), a game Ulf Andersson admired greatly.

ER
26-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Right. I won't clog this thread and I'm heading off to work now. However, I will do it properly in fag thread, perhaps over the weekend.
k mate i will follow suit, have a good one! :)

Kevin Bonham
26-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Nice game by Solo against Bjelbrk - Qxg3!! followed by the strong Bf4! Sweet. I understand Ly also made a pleasing queen sac in his game in Round 8, though I haven't seen the game.

Yes, it was a very similar deal, not really a "sac" as such but giving up queen for a roughly equivalent pile of material with strong attacking possibilities. Both Solo and Ly handled their attack with the remaining pieces very nicely. It was obvious to me watching both games that the defender had to be very careful if they were to survive at all but there is a lot of skill in converting such a position even if it is very favourable. Both very nice wins.

Kevin Bonham
26-06-2009, 02:46 PM
For the record ...

Name Morris James
Title FM
Starting rank 25
Rating 2114
Rating national 2089
Rating international 2114
Rating performance 2471
FIDE rtg +/- 61,0
Points 6,5
Rank 2
Federation AUS
Ident-Number 0

Rd. SNo Name Rtg FED Pts. Res.
1 61 Egan Bill 1795 AUS 3,0 w 1
2 4 IM Xie George Wendi 2402 AUS 6,0 s ˝
3 16 Steadman Michael 2262 NZL 5,5 w 1
4 8 Ly Moulthun 2340 AUS 6,0 s 1
5 6 IM Lane Gary W 2371 AUS 5,0 w 1
6 9 FM Bjelobrk Igor 2332 AUS 6,5 w ˝
7 2 IM Smerdon David 2489 AUS 7,5 s 0
8 13 IM Feldman Vladimir 2298 AUS 5,0 w 1
9 3 IM Solomon Stephen J 2455 AUS 6,5 w ˝

Rincewind
26-06-2009, 02:50 PM
For the record ...

Name Morris James
Title FM
Starting rank 25
Rating 2114
Rating national 2089
Rating performance 2471
FIDE rtg +/- 61,0
Points 6,5
Rank 2
Federation AUS
Ident-Number 0

Damn fine effort, that! :clap:

AzureBlue
26-06-2009, 02:51 PM
For the record ...

Name Morris James
Title FM
Starting rank 25
Rating 2114
Rating national 2089
Rating performance 2471
FIDE rtg +/- 61,0
Points 6,5
Rank 2
Federation AUS
Ident-Number 0

CONGRATS ON THE IM TITLE, JAMES!!!! :) :) :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Vlad
26-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Congrats James! Next zonal and you are a GM!:) The current interim rating for James is 2203.

Vlad
26-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Igor is very unlucky.:( The average of his opponents is 2281. He needed 2285 to get a 20 game norm. It was so close...

Kevin Bonham
26-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Igor is very unlucky.:( The average of his opponents is 2281. He needed 2285 to get a 20 game norm. It was so close...

Indeed, and he would have had the straight title had James not escaped against Solo.

Mischa
26-06-2009, 03:40 PM
he does me proud

Igor_Goldenberg
26-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Who got FM titles?

bobby1972
26-06-2009, 04:06 PM
james morris IM and only 15.

AzureBlue
26-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Who got FM titles?
Bobby Cheng and Mike Steadman I think.

Igor_Goldenberg
26-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Bobby Cheng and Mike Steadman I think.

Congratulations to all title achievers.
I must stress that both Bobby and James must work hard in the next few years to lift their game to the level of the titles.
Hopefully they will do it.

bobby1972
26-06-2009, 04:25 PM
why must they work hard its a free country they can do what they like,leave the hard work for the non talented who work and work and get nothing but hart break ,i tell you the envy in chess is very bad i mean why do people worry so much about a cople of kids getting titles.good luck to them.

mikesguns
26-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Well said Bobby, but I think you misinterpreted his point and well done James Morris. Sorry about the incorrect statement, i misinterpreted David and wrote my message wrong, David actually said that James was lucky in his last game to get a draw, and David is extremely happy that a friend has a IM title.

Igor_Goldenberg
26-06-2009, 04:54 PM
why must they work hard its a free country they can do what they like,leave the hard work for the non talented who work and work and get nothing but hart break ,i tell you the envy in chess is very bad i mean why do people worry so much about a cople of kids getting titles.good luck to them.
I don't want to go over the whole lot of arguments that were already discussed at length. Their titles will be "soft" until they reach appropriate level.
They are indeed talented and have a great potential to reach high level, I hope they will reach that level, but they are not there yet.

PS. I didn't quite understand the "envy" bit in your post.

Capablanca-Fan
26-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Indeed, no envy there, just a statement of fact. At least JM merely has to keep up the high standard he displayed in the just-finished zonal. Soft FM titles from the previous zonals were gained from performances well below FM standard.

BearDrinkingBeer
26-06-2009, 07:20 PM
While ideally smoking should be disallowed at chess tournaments. Right now, it is one of the legally available addictions. Therefore, banning smoking all together would be difficult. But things are getting better. Some years ago, people were allowed to smoke at the board!
Passive smoking I hear is pretty bad for your health too.

Mischa
26-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Why do you say David Hacche is unhappy?

Metro
26-06-2009, 07:51 PM
CONGRATS ON THE IM TITLE, JAMES!!!! :) :) :) :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thunderspirit
26-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Congratulations James on a what can only be described as a superb tournament.

Today is your day.

I wish you all the best and continued sucess.

Look foward to seeing you soon. (Hopefully at ANU)

Lee.

P.S Do your homework... ;)

Mischa
26-06-2009, 08:31 PM
:)

MichaelBaron
26-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Congratulations to all title achievers.
I must stress that both Bobby and James must work hard in the next few years to lift their game to the level of the titles.
Hopefully they will do it.

I am sure they will! Its good that titles went to the kids. I am confident that both of them will eventually become real IMs and Bobby has potential for becoming a GM. Smerdon and Zhao too got soft titles years ago...and now - they are real GMs! Thats why FM Cheng sounds much more appealing to me than FM Jones :)

MichaelBaron
26-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Why must they work hard? So they do not become laughing stock! Thats why its good that these titles went to kids....I agree good luck to them, but unless someones gets fide rating to 2400 he is not an IM.

Goldenberg, Wohl, Solomon and West are Masters....they do not need an IM title...everyone knows they are masters anyway.

I think there is a big difference whether you owe a title or a title owes you :)

Kevin Bonham
26-06-2009, 09:00 PM
No reason why James can't become a GM too eventually. He is a fairly similar age and rating to Smerdon when Smerdon won his zonal IM title. A difference is that Smerdon was an obvious junior star of his time whereas James is now one of quite a few who may eventually reach that sort of level.

Mischa
26-06-2009, 09:28 PM
thank you
I think Australia can be proud of the calibre of the juniors in its ranks.
When you look at James and Eugene and Moulthyn and others I think it time to get behind them
Go Bobby too but sorry honey I can not yet think of you as an Aussie...:)
soon...I think New Zealand are still claiming you

Basil
26-06-2009, 09:56 PM
...I think New Zealand are still claiming you
And we're still claiming Smurf.

QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!!!!

Mischa
26-06-2009, 10:18 PM
fair call

Mischa
26-06-2009, 10:20 PM
there was much hype and not nice stuff with James' FM 2 years ago
hope they will let him enjoy this achievement
you can only play who you are given
and he did

Capablanca-Fan
26-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Smerdon and Zhao too got soft titles years ago...and now - they are real GMs!
They didn't by the correct definition, which is: a zonal title is not soft if the performance would suffice for the corresponding norm if it were a non-zonal.

Mischa
26-06-2009, 11:57 PM
So you think James did not deserve this? Is that what you are saying?

Mischa
26-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Just trying to understand your point of view...not sure where your argument is leading

Capablanca-Fan
27-06-2009, 12:05 AM
I've made myself quite clear on this this thread about what a soft title is, and what I thought of James' play. Don't be so defensive.

Kevin Bonham
27-06-2009, 12:07 AM

No it isn't what he is saying at all - more like the reverse.

James' performance in this event (2471) was clearly IM standard and clearly would have resulted in an IM norm had the event not been a zonal.

He is hence saying that in this case James' title is not what he calls a "soft title".

mikesguns
27-06-2009, 12:09 AM
thank you
I think Australia can be proud of the calibre of the juniors in its ranks.
When you look at James and Eugene and Moulthyn and others I think it time to get behind them
Go Bobby too but sorry honey I can not yet think of you as an Aussie...:)
soon...I think New Zealand are still claiming you
Mischa dont forget laurence

Mischa
27-06-2009, 12:29 AM
I did say and others, sorry

Mischa
27-06-2009, 12:29 AM
cool just verifying...don't stress

Kevin Bonham
27-06-2009, 12:32 AM
cool just verifying...don't stress

Misinterpreting rather than verifying, more like it. If you were verifying then what you asked him to confirm would more likely be the correct version of what he thought. :D

Mischa
27-06-2009, 12:34 AM
you seem to wilfully misunderstand me