PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Interclub 2008

Davidflude
26-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Attached is a draft brochure for the 2008 Victorian Interclub competition.

Watto
27-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks for posting, David. Does anyone know what the minimum rating requirement is for an A grade player? 2000? 1850? Or lower?

MichaelBaron
27-05-2008, 04:04 PM
So will there be 2 Zones (Eastern and Western like the ones we had before) if yes, what will be the venue for the 2nd one?

Leonid Sandler
27-05-2008, 04:23 PM
All information about Winter interclub 2008 are on CV website
www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com

Watto
28-05-2008, 08:19 AM
All information about Winter interclub 2008 are on CV website
www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com
http://www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com/08_cv_interclub.htm
Here.

Davidflude
28-05-2008, 07:22 PM
The circular was a draft. Kerry Lyell will not be taking entries as she has a host of other chess commitments. It is up to Chess Victoria to organize another person.

FM_Bill
31-05-2008, 05:32 PM
I couldn't find an obvious link from the home page to

The interclub page at
http://www.chessvictoria.netfirms.co..._interclub.htm

eclectic
31-05-2008, 05:35 PM
well if chess victoria owned chessvictoriadotcom there'd be no need to type netfirms all the time would there now?

;)

Watto
03-06-2008, 10:13 AM
The circular was a draft. Kerry Lyell will not be taking entries as she has a host of other chess commitments. It is up to Chess Victoria to organize another person.
I see the CV interclub page has now been updated:

"Closing of entries:
July 1, 7.00 PM.
Entries: by mail to Katrin Wills CV president
PO Box 747
North Melbourne
Vic 3051"

MichaelBaron
04-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Do players have to be members of a particular club to represent it (e.g. if interstate visitor comes to melb - can he play for one of the clubs if invited?):hmm: ?

eclectic
05-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Do players have to be members of a particular club to represent it (e.g. if interstate visitor comes to melb - can he play for one of the clubs if invited?):hmm: ?

such a player would have to join the club but then again some regular club players might not take too kindly to such ring ins

MichaelBaron
05-06-2008, 11:33 PM
such a player would have to join the club but then again some regular club players might not take too kindly to such ring ins

Hmm..i think its other teams that may feel unhappy, surely any club would welcome players who can make their team stronger.

Garvinator
06-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Hmm..i think its other teams that may feel unhappy, surely any club would welcome players who can make their team stronger.
Maybe, but the issue always is if a regular club player misses out to allow one of the ring ins to play, and then the ring in is not seen at the club after interclub is finished.

MichaelBaron
06-06-2008, 02:12 AM
Maybe, but the issue always is if a regular club player misses out to allow one of the ring ins to play, and then the ring in is not seen at the club after interclub is finished.

This is actually one of the biggest problems with Autralian Interclub events. One of the main sources of sponsorship in Europe is Club chess. Strong clubs appear to be more successful at gaining sponsorship. Therefore, they try to attract as many strong chess players as possible. In Australia few years ago...i was witness to a furious debate at one of our biggest clubs..whether a GM should be given free Club Membership or not.

Personally, i would be only happy if strong players play for my club - a strong A Grade team is always going to attract more members to the club..as well as possible sponsorship.

eclectic
15-06-2008, 09:46 PM
what's the latest on what clubs have entered thus far and how many teams?

Watto
17-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I know Croydon are entering. I’m not sure about the MCC but it will be great if they do. Anyone know whether the MCC have entered teams?

Watto
21-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I know Croydon are entering. I’m not sure about the MCC but it will be great if they do. Anyone know whether the MCC have entered teams?
Also, are Noble Park entering this year?

D Dragicevic
22-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Also, are Noble Park entering this year?

well, we are hoping to enter this year and defend the title. I will have a definite answer by the next weekend..

Spiny Norman
22-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Croydon are putting in 3 teams this year, including an A-grade team. Details of the players will be on our website some time Monday (www.croydonchess.com).

Watto
22-06-2008, 01:45 PM
well, we are hoping to enter this year and defend the title. I will have a definite answer by the next weekend..
Ah, glad to hear that. :)

eclectic
22-06-2008, 02:15 PM
i wonder if a full quota of 24 teams will be achieved

:eek:

Davidflude
26-06-2008, 07:30 PM

Both clubs will be entering teams in all four grades. All players are regulars at the clubs, either playing or coaching.

Davidflude
04-07-2008, 12:06 PM
The Inter club starts tonight. However only one match will be played tonight.
This is between Box Hill and Canterbury Junior. All other matches are postponed as players have gome to Adelaide for the weekender.

Leonid Sandler
04-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Victorian winter Championship starts tonight at Box Hill Chess Club.
Six teams has entered in Grade A competition
1.Box Hill Chess Club
2.Canterbury Junior Chess Club
3.City of Yarra Chess Club
4.Elwood Chess Club
5.Noble Park Chess Club
6.Croydon Chess Club

Tonight only one match in Grade A will be played
Box Hill against Canterbury Junior
Two other matches
Noble Park-City of Yarra
Croydon-Elwood
are postponed till next Friday July 11th due to many players from these teams will be participating in Freitag weekender in Adelaide.

Grades B,C and D are combined into one 5 round Swiss tournament.
We do have 3 B grade teams,5 C grade teams and 4 D Grade teams9Total of 12 teams)
Teams from Grade B will not be meeting Teams from Grade D.

Tonight matches are

City of Yarra B team-Canterbury B team
Box Hill B team-Croydon C team
Box Hill C1 team-Yarra Ranges C team
Box Hill C2 team-Canterbury C team
Box Hill D1 team-Canterbury D team
Box Hill D2 team-Croydon D team

Spiny Norman
04-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Is this normal practice for Interclub? Why have "grades" if its effectively just a "Teams Swiss tournament"? I'm curious to know how one can truly determine the winner of a grade if they've played some of their matches against teams from outside that grade ...

Garvinator
04-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Is this normal practice for Interclub? Why have "grades" if its effectively just a "Teams Swiss tournament"? I'm curious to know how one can truly determine the winner of a grade if they've played some of their matches against teams from outside that grade ...
This does seem like an odd decision as there are enough teams for a competition of sorts for each of B, C an D grades.

Spiny Norman
04-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm just glad I didn't commit to playing myself, as I would not have been particularly happy (having signed up to play in a certain grade) to find that I was being asked to play against players from another grade.

Publicist
05-07-2008, 10:50 AM
The results of the interclub games completed last night are now available on CV web site: http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com go to 08 CV tournaments.

Spiny Norman
05-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Box Hill B Croydon C
Bd no name rating result
name rating
1 Scot Sharman 1693 1F - 0F Reginald Chong unr.
2 David Flude 1665 1 - 0 Jamie Cross 1230
3 Rad Chmiel 1654 1 - 0 Richard Goldsmith 1134
4 Roger Croft 1612 1 - 0 Stephen Wills 1002
total 4 - 0

Can someone from CV please explain how such a result:
-- helps us work out who the best B-grade team is;
-- helps us work out who the best C-grade team is

and whether such a lop-sided matchup is in the spirit of the Interclub competition, which (as best I can tell) was not advertised ahead of time as being a teams Swiss.

bergil
05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Box Hill B Croydon C
Bd no name rating result
name rating
total 4 - 0

and whether such a lop-sided matchup is in the spirit of the Interclub competition, which (as best I can tell) was not advertised ahead of time as being a teams Swiss.How is it that Box Hill B grade team had 3 players higher rated than Box Hill's A grade 4th board?

Bill Gletsos
05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Is this normal practice for Interclub?Not for the NSWCA Grade Matches.

Bill Gletsos
05-07-2008, 03:04 PM
This does seem like an odd decision as there are enough teams for a competition of sorts for each of B, C an D grades.Correct.

It would appear that B Grade could have been a 3 team double round robin with a bye in each of the 6 rounds, C Grade could have been a 5 round single round robin with a bye in each round and D Grade could have been a 4 team double round robin with no byes.

Publicist
05-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Now we are in trouble the sorcerer AND his apprentice

Bill Gletsos
05-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Now we are in trouble the sorcerer AND his apprenticeWe are not cowardly and take pot shots at others whilst hiding our identities behind a generic user name.

We have the courage to post under our real names.

Publicist
05-07-2008, 05:23 PM
A pot shot? That was a potshot? A slightly humorous remark like that a pot shot? Where is your sense of humour. I am not so crazy about revealing identities. Look what happened to Calaf when he revealed his name to Turandot.

Bill Gletsos
05-07-2008, 07:57 PM
A pot shot? That was a potshot? A slightly humorous remark like that a pot shot?Your response provided no actual indication that it was intended as a joke (there was no smiley) and your post lacked any actual answer to the questions posed.

Where is your sense of humour.Wary of those hiding in anonimity.

I am not so crazy about revealing identities. Look what happened to Calaf when he revealed his name to Turandot.Whaterver one might think of the likes of Arrogant-One, PHAT and firegoat7 at least they were prepared to be publically identifed.

Watto
05-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Box Hill B Croydon C
Bd no name rating result
name rating
total 4 - 0

and whether such a lop-sided matchup is in the spirit of the Interclub competition, which (as best I can tell) was not advertised ahead of time as being a teams Swiss.
Well, I logged to check the results. Didn't expect this I have to say. My reaction is much the same as yours Spiny- a decision like this, without warning? Seems ridiculous to me and I can't see how it would help interclub. But I'll be playing next round and all I can say is GO CROYDON C!!!

Publicist
05-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Your response provided no actual indication that it was intended as a joke (there was no smiley)Well; do posters only recognise humorous remarks if accompanied by a small picture? Beam me up Scotty.

By the way 4 - 0 score cards are quite common in interclub results. Previous years results can be accessed via archived CV tournaments and some research might be useful for those who are getting over-exited

Bill Gletsos
05-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Well; do posters only recognise humorous remarks if accompanied by a small picture?You were just having a shot rather than answering the real questions.

Beam me up Scotty.I doubt Captain Kirk would have you as a crew member.

By the way 4 - 0 score cards are quite common in interclub results. Previous years results can be accessed via archived CV tournaments and some research might be useful for those who are getting over-exitedAnyway if I were you I'd be more concerned by Spiny Norman's and Watto's comments than mine or Garvin's.

Spiny Norman
06-07-2008, 07:54 AM
By the way 4 - 0 score cards are quite common in interclub results. Previous years results can be accessed via archived CV tournaments and some research might be useful for those who are getting over-exited
Its not about being "over-excited" [sic]. If CV Interclub were a shop and the Winter Interclub competition were a product, I'd be tempted to return it and ask for a refund on the basis that the product is not what was advertised.

I have now had feedback from several of our members. None of them (so far) are very impressed with the switch of competition format.

The questions I asked above are valid and have not (yet) been answered. Dismissing them on the basis that I am "over-excited" is a baseless ad hominem, but its what I've come to expect from you Gerry based on your track record over the past couple of years.

Publicist
06-07-2008, 02:17 PM
The person who can and possibly will answer your's and the sorcerer's questions is popular CV vice president Leonid Sandler who is at this point in time is in Adelaide with all the other top Victorian players. This Adelaide tournament's timing was the reason for the many postponements. The involvement of publicist in the interclub is the collection of results and publication on the web site. No more no less. My advice on not getting over-exited remains sound.

Brian_Jones
06-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Look what happened to Calaf when he revealed his name to Turandot.

WTF - please explain! :) :) :)

Rincewind
06-07-2008, 04:23 PM
WTF - please explain! :) :) :)

Yes, no one will sleep until we get an answer to that one. ;)

Publicist
06-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Well I am not sure how far to take this back.
After solving the 3 riddles and not having had to divulge his name; in the final scene Calaf says I am Calaf son of Timur. I give you my name and with it my life
Turandot is finally beaten and says, I have discovered the stranger’s secret and his name is love ‘’[
Calaf is now in real trouble because he has to marry one of the cruelest women in the fictional world of Opera. A princess who had no qualms in killing all her previous suitors, is prepared to kill Calaf’s father, and tortured his servant Liu to death during the night of nessun dorma

Bill Gletsos
06-07-2008, 06:48 PM
The questions I asked above are valid and have not (yet) been answered. Dismissing them on the basis that I am "over-excited" is a baseless ad hominem, but its what I've come to expect from you Gerry based on your track record over the past couple of years.Gerry didnt seem the hydra type.
I considered Publicist might be Gerry but given TrueBeliever appeared to be him, I suspected Publicist was some other Box Hill/Canterbury Committee member.

Rincewind
06-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Calaf is now in real trouble because he has to marry one of the cruelest women in the fictional world of Opera. A princess who had no qualms in killing all her previous suitors, is prepared to kill Calaf’s father, and tortured his servant Liu to death during the night of nessun dorma

Liu had to die. It is a Puccini opera after all.

Publicist
06-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Liu had to die. It is a Puccini opera after allVery true. It is also the last scene Puccini ever wrote. He died from throat cancer without completing the opera. Some of his greatest music Is contained in Turandot ,,Nessun dorma,, of course but also ,,non piangere piu,, and Tu che di sei cinta sung by Liu.
Subject closed

Rincewind
07-07-2008, 03:30 AM
Very true. It is also the last scene Puccini ever wrote. He died from throat cancer without completing the opera. Some of his greatest music Is contained in Turandot ,,Nessun dorma,, of course but also ,,non piangere piu,, and Tu che di sei cinta sung by Liu.
Subject closed

Yes no more comment from me beyond correcting the names of the arie. I believe they are Non piangere, Liu (Don't cry, Liu) and Tu, che di gel sei cinta (You, who is chained by ice). [N.B. The translations are only rough and Liu is spelt with a accent grave (as is piu come to think of it) which I'm too lazy to add.]

Spiny Norman
07-07-2008, 08:19 AM
The person who can and possibly will answer your's and the sorcerer's questions is popular CV vice president Leonid Sandler who is at this point in time is in Adelaide with all the other top Victorian players. This Adelaide tournament's timing was the reason for the many postponements.
Then I will take the issue of tournament format up with Leonid, fair enough. Perhaps you should have had the sense to post that information the first time, instead of involving yourself in the subject? Its all very well to now appeal to this:

The involvement of publicist in the interclub is the collection of results and publication on the web site. No more no less.
... because you then proceed to go beyond that and offer this:

My advice on not getting over-exited remains sound.
You'd better make up your mind. Are you going to involve yourself in the discussion or not? So far you've merely offered unsolicited advice on a topic that you yourself say that you're not here to be involved in.

My questions, from several pages ago, remain unanswered. How does pairing B-grade teams against C-grade teams provide information which is helpful in determining which are the best B-grade and C-grade teams ... especially when it is just a short 5-round format ... unless, of course, that also is going to be changed at the last minute.

(Some of) our members are not happy with the last-minute nature of the changes. The changes to the format were posted HERE by Leonid and were not properly advised to clubs as they clearly should have been. As such, I believe a response ought to be made here as well as a proper explanation being given to the clubs.

Leonid, over to you ... I will PM you ...

Desmond
07-07-2008, 12:53 PM
We do have 3 B grade teams,5 C grade teams and 4 D Grade teams9Total of 12 teams)
Teams from Grade B will not be meeting Teams from Grade D.

Tonight matches are

City of Yarra B team-Canterbury B team
Box Hill B team-Croydon C team
Box Hill C1 team-Yarra Ranges C team
Box Hill C2 team-Canterbury C team
Box Hill D1 team-Canterbury D team
Box Hill D2 team-Croydon D teamNot that it makes much difference to me what Mexicans do, but since this is an online forum I'll put my 2c in as one does.

I think the decision to merge the three groups is a reasonable one. It eliminates the odd numbers in groups B & C for one thing.

What might have been an alternative would be to see if one of the C teams would be willing to upfloat into the B grade. This would also eliminate the odd numbers, and create 3 divisions of 4 teams. A double round robin might have been possible if an extra round could be sneaked in somewhere.

:)

Leonid Sandler
07-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Two postponed Grade A matches will be played Friday July 11th at Box Hill Chess Club.Starting time 7-45pm.
Noble Park -City of Yarra
Croydon -Elwood
Here are some players names of playes from these teams who can participate in Friday night matches.
Noble Park (D.Dragisevic,M.Pyke,J.Morris,M.Dizdarevic)
City Of Yarra(M.Rujevic,D.Stojic,S.Stojic,B.Mijatovic,M.Ri kalo,J.Mirkovic)
Croydon (G.West,K.S.Teo,N.Y.Wong,D.Lacey,T.Waller,P.Morris )
Elwood(I.Goldenberg,L.Sandler,L.Delion,V.Kildisas)

Wednesday night July 9th teams composition will be finalised .

eclectic
08-07-2008, 05:28 PM
(from elsewhere)"Yes I saw those rumblings too. What was odd is that they posted where they would not expect a response from me?"

well of course i wouldn't expect a response from you here; you haven't said anything here for ages!! :hand:

ER
08-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Let me repeat: A Victorian Interclub Competition without the Melbourne Chess Club, is like an English Premier League without Manchester United!
Cheers and good luck!

MichaelBaron
09-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Let me repeat: A Victorian Interclub Competition without the Melbourne Chess Club, is like an English Premier League without Manchester United!
Cheers and good luck!
Unfortunately i got to agree...

Btw, Elwood must be Chelsea
Box Hill - is Arsenal
and Noble Park is Aston Villa

D Dragicevic
09-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Unfortunately i got to agree...

Btw, Elwood must be Chelsea
Box Hill - is Arsenal
and Noble Park is Aston Villa

Why is Noble Park Aston Villa.. :)...

ER
09-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I think Noble Park can be easily presented as Melbourne Victory according to their performances in 2007 (not this year)!!! :clap: And I am talking Melbourne Victory here, because Noble Park Chess Club can undoubltly claim the title of the most successful new chess club in Australia. Look at their average rating strength, look at their venue, look at the great personalities of its founders and administrators!
Cheers and good luck!

MichaelBaron
09-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Why is Noble Park Aston Villa.. :)...

How about Liverpool (if its going to make you happy) :hmm: :lol:

Leonid Sandler
10-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Croydon-Elwood

G.West 2310-I.Goldenberg 2351
L.Sandler 2282-K.S.Teo 2227
D.Lacey 1729-L.Delion 2078
V.Kildisas 1830-T.Waller 1708

City of Yarra
1.M.Rujevic 2207
2.D.Stojic 2142
3.S.Stojic 1836
4.B.Mijatovic 1777

Noble Park players participating will be announced later on today...

D Dragicevic
10-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Croydon-Elwood

G.West 2310-I.Goldenberg 2351
L.Sandler 2282-K.S.Teo 2227
D.Lacey 1729-L.Delion 2078
V.Kildisas 1830-T.Waller 1708

City of Yarra
1.M.Rujevic 2207
2.D.Stojic 2142
3.S.Stojic 1836
4.B.Mijatovic 1777

Noble Park players participating will be announced later on today...

Our players for tomorow night are

1. Domagoj Dragicevic
2.James Morris
3.Mehmedalija Dizdarevic
4.Abdulwahab Rashid

Leonid Sandler
12-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Second round matches in Grade A will be played July 18th at Box Hill chess club.Starting time 7-45 pm.

Round 2
Box Hill -Croydon
Canterbury Juniors -Noble Park
City of Yarra-Elwood

Round 3
City of Yarra-Box Hill
Elwood-Noble Park
Croydon-Canterbury Juniors

Round 4
Box Hill-Elwood
Canterbury Juniors-Noble Park
City of Yarra-Croydon

Round 5
Noble Park-Box Hill
Elwood-Canterbury Juniors
Noble Park-Croydon

Watto
14-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Second round matches in Grade A will be played July 18th at Box Hill chess club.Starting time 7-45 pm.

Are the lower grade match-ups known yet for round 2, to be played on the same night?

Leonid Sandler
15-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Hello Jean,
Pairings for the round 2 in the lower grades will be available very soon.
We are still waiting for one postponed match from the first round between City of Yarra B team and Canterburry Juniors B team to be played.

Watto
15-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Hello Jean,
Pairings for the round 2 in the lower grades will be available very soon.
We are still waiting for one postponed match from the first round between City of Yarra B team and Canterburry Juniors B team to be played.
Hi Leonid. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Leonid Sandler
15-07-2008, 10:05 PM
The postponed match from the first round will be played next week.
Round 2 pairings are as follows

City of Yarra B-Box Hill B
Canterbury C-Box Hill D
Croydon D-Box Hill C1
Canterbury B-Box Hill C2
Yarra Ranges-Canterbury D
Croydon C-Box Hill D2

Games will be played Friday July 18th at Box Hill chess club.
Starting time 7-45 pm.

Leonid Sandler
17-07-2008, 10:52 PM
City of Yarra-Elwood

M.Rujevic-I.Goldenberg
L.Sandler-D.Stojic
S.Stojic-L.Delion
V.Kildisas-B.Mijatovic

Box Hill -Croydon

Box Hill team
1.D.Johansen
2.O.Bashir
3.D.Lindberg
4.M.Raine

Croydon team will be announced soon...

Canterbury Juniors-Noble Park

Canterbury team
1.D.Hacche
2.C.Wallace
3.E.Schon
4.B.Cheng

Noble Park team will be announced later on...

Leonid Sandler
17-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Box Hill-Croydon

D.Johansen-G.West
K.S Teo-O.Bashir
D.Lindberg-N.Y.Wong
D.Lacey-M.Raine

Bereaved
18-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Hello everyone,

Here are rounds 1 and 2 in board order for Canterbury Juniors A; does anyone see some consistency?

1 Omar Khaled Bashar unr 1 – 0 Derek Yu 1886
2 Douglas Lindberg 2011 0 – 1 Eugene Schön 1960
3 Marcus Raine 1943 0 - 1 Bobby Cheng 1958
4 Jason Tang 1647 0.5 - 0.5 Rengan Vijayakumar 1757
total 1.5 - 2.5

And round 2 board list

No Name Rtg Loc

1. David J Hacche 2207 2127
2. Christopher Wallis 2235 2153
3. Eugene Schon 2042 1960
4. Bobby Cheng 2088 1958

I thought the idea was that interclub was an event where you played in rating order?

The passage regarding this on the cv website is a bit vague on the issue ( note my Bolding within)

7. Order Of Play Within Teams
(1) At least seven days before the scheduled start of the
competition, each club shall submit to the Zone Director a list to
be known as the club’s playing order list, which shall include the
full name of all players the club regards as likely to play in any of its teams at any time during the competition, listed in an order
of playing strength not significantly different from the order of playing strength suggested by the national ratings list specified
for the purposes of the competition.
(2) In the event of a club failing to provide a club
playing order list or providing a list which does not comply with
the requirements indicated in this by-law, the playing order list
for that club shall be determined by the Zone Director.
(3) In the event of a club introducing into one of its
teams a player not included on its playing order list, the Zone
Director shall determine that player’s position on the club’s
playing order list.
(4) (a) In any team, no player shall play at a
board lower than a player placed below him on his club’s playing
order list.
(b) If within three days after the start of a match the Zone
Director becomes aware of an infringement of clause7(4)(a), the infringing team shall be deemed to have lost on forfeit the game played by the player who played at a board lower than that of the player placed below him on their club’s playing order list.

I don't think this is what it meant by not significantly different, and seems a shame that it happens.

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

MichaelBaron
18-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Hello everyone,

Here are rounds 1 and 2 in board order for Canterbury Juniors A; does anyone see some consistency?

1 Omar Khaled Bashar unr 1 – 0 Derek Yu 1886
2 Douglas Lindberg 2011 0 – 1 Eugene Schön 1960
3 Marcus Raine 1943 0 - 1 Bobby Cheng 1958
4 Jason Tang 1647 0.5 - 0.5 Rengan Vijayakumar 1757
total 1.5 - 2.5

And round 2 board list

No Name Rtg Loc

1. David J Hacche 2207 2127
2. Christopher Wallis 2235 2153
3. Eugene Schon 2042 1960
4. Bobby Cheng 2088 1958

I thought the idea was that interclub was an event where you played in rating order?

The passage regarding this on the cv website is a bit vague on the issue ( note my Bolding within)

I don't think this is what it meant by not significantly different, and seems a shame that it happens.

Actually it is common practice not only for Canterbury Junior...but also by some teams at coninental and world championships as well as European champions cup.

For example, if there is a couple of solid 2600 rated players who are "drawing masters" they are usually promoted to boards 1 & 2 to cook draws against higher rated opponents while some 2630-50 rated players who have attacking style of chess and are good at destroying weaker opposition are being demoted to lower boards. I can recall one European Club Championship where a team from Kazan had GM Yandemirov (ranked 2469) on board 1 while all of the players on boards 2-6 were rated significantly higher than him (Including Rublevsky and Timofeev who were 2650+)

Spiny Norman
18-07-2008, 12:04 PM
If its common practice here, and if the majority want it to work this way, then that clause ought to be removed from the By Laws.

If the clause is not to be removed, then teams ought to be observing it, regardless of whether it suits them or not.

What's the point of having such rules if only some of the teams are observing them?

D Dragicevic
18-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Our team got finalised today and it's same as last week.

Myself, James Morris, Mehmedalija Dizdarevic and Abdulwahab Rashid.

Leonid Sandler
19-07-2008, 01:06 AM
City of Yarra-Elwood 2,5-1,5
Canterbury-Noble Park 2,5-1,5
Box Hill-Croydon 0,5-2,5 not sure about board 4 result.

Leaders after 2 rounds
1-2 Elwood,Canterbury 5 points,
3.Noble Park 4,5 points

Publicist
19-07-2008, 05:17 AM
All results and A grade standings are now on the CV web site http://www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com [ go to 08 CV tournaments] There may be some mistakes in the names or the ratings as the result cards are sometimes difficult to interprete

Bill Gletsos
19-07-2008, 02:57 PM
All results and A grade standings are now on the CV web site http://www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com [ go to 08 CV tournaments]Is there any reason why you didnt just link to the page http://www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com/08_interclub_results.htm directly.

Kevin Bonham
19-07-2008, 03:32 PM

I think it is exactly what is meant by "not significantly different". The highest rating gap between a player in a position and a higher rated player in a lower position by ACF ratings (which is what the rule uses) is 74 points between Yu and Schon. A ratings difference of 74 points between two players is not statistically significant (especially not in Glicko-2 which is a fairly volatile system.)

The rule is vague, though - presumably its purpose is to allow for cases where the slightly lower rated player is actually better than the slightly higher rated one (eg the lower rated player is improving rapidly, or the higher rated player is rusty) but I'm not sure why it couldn't be more clearly codified. How about, for instance, allowing players to play out of rating order only on the proviso that no player plays above a player rated 100+ points higher than them? Or having such a proviso but allowing teams to apply for an exemption to it?

Bill Gletsos
19-07-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't think this is what it meant by not significantly different, and seems a shame that it happens.NSWCA Grade matches require that players must be placed in board order according to rating however a discrepancy of up to 50 points is allowable.
No dispensations beyond this will be granted.

ER
19-07-2008, 04:53 PM
My apologies to my team (Box Hill) for not showing up on Friday night. I had to go to Sydney for work related reasons on a very short notice.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused to my team mates and the Interclub competition.
Cheers and good luck!

Watto
19-07-2008, 06:19 PM
All results and A grade standings are now on the CV web site http://www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com [ go to 08 CV tournaments] There may be some mistakes in the names or the ratings as the result cards are sometimes difficult to interprete
Thanks publicist. Any mistakes I noticed have all been fixed up now...

Publicist
25-07-2008, 08:57 PM
1 Mr Brklyac v Shane Lawson
2 Laurence Matheson v Mr Radovanzic
3 M Stojic v Zeljko Podvorac
4 Isaac Ng v Sam Zivkovic

Publicist
26-07-2008, 06:56 AM
The postponed match between City of Yarra and Canterbury Juniors has resulted in a 3 - 1 win to the City of Yarra, The Interclub results on the CV web site have been updated.

Publicist
26-07-2008, 09:50 PM
On behalf of leonid here are the round 3 CV interclub pairings.
playing date 1.08.08

Grade A

City of Yarra A-Box Hill A

Elwood A -Noble Park A

Croydon A-Canterbury Juniors A

Grades B,C,D

Box Hill B -Canterbury Juniors C

Box Hill C1 -Canterbury B

Croydon C-City of Yarra B

Box Hill D1-Box Hill C2

Croydon D-Ranges C

Canterbury D-Box Hill D2

Leonid Sandler
29-07-2008, 09:57 PM
The following players will be participating in round 3 match
Elwood-Noble Park
I.Goldenberg-M.Pyke
D.Dragisevic-L.Sandler
L.Delion-J.Morris
M.Dizdarevic-V.Kildisas

MichaelBaron
30-07-2008, 12:00 AM
The following players will be participating in round 3 match
Elwood-Noble Park
I.Goldenberg-M.Pyke
D.Dragisevic-L.Sandler
L.Delion-J.Morris
M.Dizdarevic-V.Kildisas

Intersting match up.. Elwood is stronger on boards 1 & 2 while Noble Park is looking good on boards 3 and 4

D Dragicevic
30-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Intersting match up.. Elwood is stronger on boards 1 & 2 while Noble Park is looking good on boards 3 and 4

does this mean you are predicting 2-2..

MichaelBaron
30-07-2008, 09:39 PM
does this mean you are predicting 2-2..

Well chess is an unpredictable game :). but 2-2 is a possibility...even though i rate Elwood's chances marginally higher

Leonid Sandler
30-07-2008, 10:24 PM
City Of Yarra-Box Hill
M.Rujevic-D.Johansen
O.Bashar-D.Stojic
S.Stojic-D.Lindberg
M.Raine-B.Cheng

Croydon - Canterbury Juniors

Canterbury Juniors team
C.Wallis
D.Hacche
E.Schon
B.Cheng

Croydon team will be annonced later on

Bereaved
30-07-2008, 11:38 PM
City Of Yarra-Box Hill
M.Rujevic-D.Johansen
O.Bashar-D.Stojic
S.Stojic-D.Lindberg
M.Raine-B.Cheng

Croydon - Canterbury Juniors

Canterbury Juniors team
C.Wallis
D.Hacche
E.Schon
B.Cheng

Croydon team will be annonced later on

I am pretty sure the line

M.Raine-B.Cheng

should read as

M. Raine - B. Mijatovic

as he is on that team, and Marcus and Bobby played in an earlier round!

Leonid Sandler
31-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Yes,Malcolm you are right.
M.Raine-B.Mijatovic is correct.

Leonid Sandler
01-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Croydon team for round 3 match wil be as follows
1.G.West
2.K.Teo
3.N.Y.Wong
4.still undecided

Publicist
01-08-2008, 07:08 PM
A Grade
Board1
feature match

IM Mirko Rujevic versus GM Darryl Johansen

http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/live/tfd_full.htm

Leonid Sandler
02-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Round 3
City of Yarra-Box Hill 3,5-0,5(forfeit on board one)
Elwood-Noble Park 1-3(black night for Elwood with 3 players horribly blundered )
Croydon-Canterbury Juniors 2-2(exciting draw on board one)

After 3 rounds
1.Noble Park 7,5 points
2-3 Canterbury Juniors,City of Yarra 7 points each
4.Elwood 6
5.Croydon 5,5
6.Box Hill 3 points

Next round will be played August 15th

Box Hill-Elwood
Canterbury-Noble Park
City of Yarra-Croydon

Publicist
02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Results for all round 3 matches played are now on the CV web site:
http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com go to interclub results via 08 CV tournaments.

Spiny Norman
02-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Can we see a crosstable of results/standings for the B/C/D group pls?

Garvinator
02-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Results for all round 3 matches played are now on the CV web site:
http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com go to interclub results via 08 CV tournaments.
How come you do not link straight to the results page? Bill also asked you this question previously.

Garvinator
02-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Can we see a crosstable of results/standings for the B/C/D group pls? http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com/08_interclub_results.htm

Metro
02-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Box Hill C1 Linden Lyons v Canterbury Juniors B Isaac Ng 1-0
Is this correct?

Publicist
02-08-2008, 01:40 PM
The result Lyons v Ng was indeed incorrectly recorded it should be 0 - 1.
The totals are correct. Those who cannot find the standings may need to press refresh.

Spiny Norman
02-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Those who cannot find the standings may need to press refresh.
Got it now ... thanks ... a case of chess blindness on my part.

Here's a sorted list:

A grade standings:

name rd1 rd2 rd3 rd4 rd5 total
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Noble Park A 3 1.5 3 7.5
Canterbury Juniors A 2.5 2.5 2 7
City of Yarra 1 2.5 3.5 7
Elwood A 3.5 1.5 1 6
Croydon A 0.5 3 2 5.5
Box Hill A 1.5 1 0.5 3

B, C, and D grade standings:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Box Hill B 4 3 4 11
Canterbury Juniors B 1 4 3.5 8.5
Canterbury Juniors C 3 4 0 7
Box Hill C1 3 3 0.5 6.5
Canterbury Juniors D 1 2 3.5 6.5
Croydon C 0 3 3 6
City of Yarra B 3 1 1 5
Croydon D 1 1 3 5
Ranges C 1 2 1 4
Box Hill C2 1 0 3 4
Box Hill D1 3 0 1 4
Box Hill D2 1 1 0.5 2.5

Spiny Norman
02-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I just know I'm going to get into trouble for posting this ... but ... after 3 rounds:

-- Croydon's C-grade team (score: 6/12) has not yet played against any other C-grade team (there are 4 others) ... they have had 2 matches against B-grade teams, and one match against a D-grade team

-- Croydon's D-grade team (score: 5/10, with 2 unplayed) has played just one match against another D-grade team (there are 3 others) ... they have also played 2 matches against C-grade teams

:hmm:

Basil
02-08-2008, 05:24 PM
I just know I'm going to get into trouble for posting this ... but ...
Your care factor (about getting into trouble) is no doubt the same as mine would be - zipple.

D Dragicevic
02-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Round 3
City of Yarra-Box Hill 3,5-0,5(forfeit on board one)
Elwood-Noble Park 1-3(black night for Elwood with 3 players horribly blundered )
Croydon-Canterbury Juniors 2-2(exciting draw on board one)

After 3 rounds
1.Noble Park 7,5 points
2-3 Canterbury Juniors,City of Yarra 7 points each
4.Elwood 6
5.Croydon 5,5
6.Box Hill 3 points

Next round will be played August 15th

Box Hill-Elwood
Canterbury-Noble Park
City of Yarra-Croydon

The pairings for next round are wrong as Noble Park has already played Canterbury. I believe Noble Park is playing Croydon next round and probably white on board 1, while City of Yarra play Canterbury. Can this just be confirmed...

Leonid Sandler
02-08-2008, 09:16 PM
You are right Domagoi,sorry about this.
The correct pairings for round 4

Noble Park-Croydon
Canterbury Juniors-City of Yarra
Box Hill-Elwood

and last round pairings
Noble Park-Box Hill
City of Yarra-Croydon

Spiny Norman
03-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Seeing as I am already in trouble ... can someone please explain the following (brought to my attention by an eagle-eyed reader):

In round #3, Box Hill D1 team, board 2, Zeljko Podvorac 1580 1-0 Sam Ellbrish 1356

How does a 1580-rated player end up on a D-Grade team? Or is this a typo (i.e. is this the wrong player name)?

Leonid Sandler
04-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Round 4 pairings

Canterbury Juniors B(8,5 points)-Box Hill B(11 points)
Canterbury Juniors C(7 points)-Canterbury Juniors D(6,5 points)
City Of Yarra B(5 points)-Box Hill C1(6,5 points)
Croydon D(5 points)-Croydon C(6 points)
Yarra Ranges(4 points)-Box Hill C2 (4 points)
Box Hill D2(2,5 points)-Box Hill D1 (4 points)

The games will be played Friday August 15th,starting 7-45pm at Box Hill chess club.

shelldrake
05-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Round 4 pairings

Canterbury Juniors B(8,5 points)-Box Hill B(11 points)
Canterbury Juniors C(7 points)-Canterbury Juniors D(6,5 points)
City Of Yarra B(5 points)-Box Hill C1(6,5 points)
Croydon D(5 points)-Croydon C(6 points)
Yarra Ranges(4 points)-Box Hill C2 (4 points)
Box Hill D2(2,5 points)-Box Hill D1 (4 points)

The games will be played Friday August 15th,starting 7-45pm at Box Hill chess club.

uumm, is this meant to be interclub or intraclub?
why is Croydon D playing Corydon C?
why is Canterbury Juniors C playing Canterbury Juniors D?
Why is Box Hill d2 playing box hill d1?

This has been my first interclub comp and I've enjoyed meeting other chess players etc but this whole comp has been a mess and has dissapointed me.

Spiny Norman
05-08-2008, 10:43 AM
uumm, is this meant to be interclub or intraclub?
why is Croydon D playing Corydon C?
why is Canterbury Juniors C playing Canterbury Juniors D?
Why is Box Hill d2 playing box hill d1?
The first two of those matchups would not have happened if it were truly a grades-based comp. The latter would though (both in D-grade).

I'm fascinated by the possiblity now that Croydon's C-grade team could conceivably go through the entire Interclub competition without playing another C-grade team. :eek:

Basil
05-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Pedal down. No prisioners. High repeat. Right on your side.

Desmond
05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Did the D-grade teams decide to field a stronger team or did they remain the same?

Watto
05-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Did the D-grade teams decide to field a stronger team or did they remain the same?
Croydon's D team remained the same as originally planned from what I've seen.

Spiny Norman
05-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Croydon's D team remained the same as originally planned from what I've seen.
It did ... no shenanigans there ...

Bill Gletsos
05-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Seeing as I am already in trouble ... can someone please explain the following (brought to my attention by an eagle-eyed reader):

In round #3, Box Hill D1 team, board 2, Zeljko Podvorac 1580 1-0 Sam Ellbrish 1356

How does a 1580-rated player end up on a D-Grade team? Or is this a typo (i.e. is this the wrong player name)?Have you received any answer to this question from either CV or Box Hill.

Spiny Norman
05-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Have you received any answer to this question from either CV or Box Hill.
No. But I'm hoping it can be answered here informally, rather than going the road of a formal query.

Bereaved
05-08-2008, 08:40 PM

How does a 1580-rated player end up on a D-Grade team? Or is this a typo (i.e. is this the wrong player name)?

Hi Spiny and others,

the above pairing is correct and was the game as played, though I am pretty sure Zjelko was black.

On another note, I did finally get an answer about the confusing board order in the Canterbury Juniors; apparently someone failed to turn up and so someone otherwise not playing was substituted in,

bobby1972
05-08-2008, 09:34 PM
what about posting the game macavity you know igor loss is very rare well done

Bereaved
05-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi Bobby,

The game was really bad, and I only won because Igor blundered, so maybe not so polite to post it,

ER
05-08-2008, 10:55 PM
I am playing White vs Mr Eric Neymanis
1. Nc3 e6 2. e4 c6 3. d4 Bb4 4. Nf3 d6 5. Be2 Nf6 6. Qd3 Nbd7 7. 0-0 e5 8. Bg5 0-0 9. Nd1 Qe8 10. c3 Ba5 11. dxe5 dxe5 12. b4 Bd8 13. Nd2 h6 14. Be3 b6 15. f4 Bb7 16. fxe5 Nxe5 17. Qc2 Bc7 18. Rxf6 gxf6 19. Bxh6 Kh7 20. Bxf8 Qxf8 21. Nf3 Qg7 22. Ne3 Rg8 23. Rf1 Qh6 24. Nf5 Nxf3 25. Bxf3 Qg5 26. Qf2 Bf4 27. h4 Bg3 28. hxg5 Bxf2 29. Kxf2 Rxg5 30. Rh1 Kg8 31. Rd1 1-0

Spiny Norman
06-08-2008, 05:37 AM
the above pairing is correct and was the game as played, though I am pretty sure Zjelko was black.
I'm surmising the Zjelko may have stood in for someone else at short notice (which is a good thing, very commendable, not to be discouraged, as we don't won't people who turn up to Interclub in good faith to miss out on getting a game if an opponent doesn't show).

But just as surely, a 1580 player should be in a B-grade team, not D-grade.

So despite the result of the actual game, it probably ought to be recorded in the Interclub results as something like 0F-1 with the point going to the other team.

Leonid Sandler
14-08-2008, 09:29 PM
The following players will be participating in Box Hill-Elwood match
O.Bashar-I.Goldenberg
L.Sandler-D.Lindberg
M.Raine-L.Delion
V.Kildisas-S.Yu

The tournament leaders Noble Park team will use the same line up who upset Elwood in round 3
1.M.Pyke
2.D.Dragisevic
3.J.Morris
4.M.Dizdarevic

Croydon team composition will be announced later on.

No changes in Canterbury Juniors team
1.C.Wallis
2.D.Hacche
3.E.Schon
4.B.Cheng

Their opponents City of Yarra team

Leonid Sandler
15-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Croydon team for the round 4 match has been announced
1.G.West
2.K.Teo
3.N.Y.Wong
4.P.Morris

Spiny Norman
15-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi Leonid, seeing as you're around ... can you comment please on this:

Is anything to be done about this, or is it being swept under the carpet?

Publicist
16-08-2008, 07:36 AM
The complete results and standings of round 4 are now available on the CV website: http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com
Go to interclub results via 08 CV Tournaments where you may also view in passing the details of the 08 Victorian Championships

Garvinator
16-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Hi Leonid, seeing as you're around ... can you comment please on this: Is anything to be done about this, or is it being swept under the carpet?
Did you bring your broom Spiny?

Spiny Norman
16-08-2008, 08:26 AM
A-Grade:

Elwood A 3.5 1.5 1 4 10
Canterbury Juniors A 2.5 2.5 2 2 9
City of Yarra A 1 2.5 3.5 2 9
Croydon A 0.5 3 2 3 8.5
Noble Park A 3 1.5 3 1 8.5
Box Hill A 1.5 1 0.5 0 3

B/C/D-Grade:

Box Hill B 4 3 4 3 14
Canterbury Juniors C 3 4 0 3 10
Canterbury Juniors B 1 4 3.5 1 9.5
Croydon C 0 3 3 3 9
Box Hill C1 3 3 0.5 1.5 8
Box Hill C2 1 0 3 3.5 7.5
Canterbury Juniors D 1 2 3.5 1 7.5
City of Yarra B 3 1 1 2.5 7.5
Box Hill D1 3 0 1 3 7
Croydon D* 1 1 3 1 6
Ranges C 1 2 1 0.5 4.5
Box Hill D2 1 1 0.5 1 3.5

One wonders if its worthwhile bothering to point out that Box Hill C2 ought to be on 8.5 pts, and Box Hill D1 ought to be on 6 pts ... :wall:

Leonid Sandler
18-08-2008, 10:00 AM
The last round will be played Friday August 29th at BHCC.Starting time 7-45pm
Here are the pairings for Grades B,C and D

1.City of Yarra B -Box Hill C2
2.Box Hill B-Box Hill C1
3.Yarra Ranges C-Canterbury B
4.Croydon C-Canterbury D
5.Box Hill D1-Croydon D
6.Box Hill D2-Canterbury C

Spiny Norman
18-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Croydon C-Canterbury D
After 5 rounds, unless I'm missing something, Croydon C will not have played any of the other C-grade teams (and there are 4 of them). My questions, still unanswered, are as follows:

1. what will be the process for determining the "best team" in B-grade, C-grade and D-grade (given that Croydon hasn't even managed to play one game against another team from that grade);

2. why was a 1580-rated player permitted to play in a D-grade team; and

3. why was the result of that game (a win for the 1580-rated player against a D-grade opponent) allowed to stand

So next year, just make it a free-for-all, no grades, no restrictions on player's ratings in teams ...

MichaelBaron
18-08-2008, 11:56 AM
After 5 rounds, unless I'm missing something, Croydon C will not have played any of the other C-grade teams (and there are 4 of them). My questions, still unanswered, are as follows:

:) Yes it is funny that such a swiss has grades

Leonid Sandler
20-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Due to some top players from both teams participation in Gold Coast tournament Noble Park and Box Hill chess club will play their last round match
Sunday August 24th at Box Hill chess club.
Starting time 2-00 pm
Noble Park team will field the following players
1.M.Pyke
2.D.Dragisevic
3.M.Dizdarevic
4.A.Rashid

Box Hill team for the match will be announced later

Leonid Sandler
25-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Last round match in A Grade has been played in advance yesterday
Noble Park-Box Hill 3-1
Both teams have completed the tournament
Noble Park scored 11,5 points
Box Hill ended up on 4 points from 20 games.
The last remaining matches in Grade A will be played Friday August 29th
Elwood (10 points)-Canterbury Juniors (9 points)
City of Yarra (9 points)-Croydon (8,5 points)

Davidflude
25-08-2008, 07:20 PM
1.M.Pyke Omar Bashir 0-1
2.D.Dragisevic Douglas lindberg 1-0
3.M.Dizdarevic David Flude 1-0
4.A.Rashid Jason Tang 1-0

Box Hill had problems fielding a team when one regular playerwas unable to play and another withdrew on Friday night. As a result we had to promote two B grade players.

I had a real battle with Dizdarevic. We finished with King and pawn versus king.
however he had a text book win as his king was in front of his pawn and he had spare tempi. In hindsight I have realized that I missed the correct plan early in the game. But it would have lead to a really difficult unbalanced position.

In my opinion Dizdarevic won because he found a really strong middle game plan.

The match was played in a really good spirit by both sides.

David

Leonid Sandler
29-08-2008, 03:22 PM
All last round matches will be played tonight
Grade A

I.Goldenberg-C.Wallis
D.Hacche-L.Sandler
L.Delion-R.Vijakumar
V.Kildisas-B.Cheng

City of Yarra-Croydon

M.Rujevic-G.West
Teo-D.Stojic
S.Stojic-N.Y.Wong
P.Morris-B.Mijatovic

TrueBeliever
29-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Where can I find the teams for tonight

shelldrake
29-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Where can I find the teams for tonight

Look further up.

The last round will be played Friday August 29th at BHCC.Starting time 7-45pm
Here are the pairings for Grades B,C and D

1.City of Yarra B -Box Hill C2
2.Box Hill B-Box Hill C1
3.Yarra Ranges C-Canterbury B
4.Croydon C-Canterbury D
5.Box Hill D1-Croydon D
6.Box Hill D2-Canterbury C

Spiny Norman
29-08-2008, 04:32 PM
To keep myself amused, I had a crack at calculating the odds of a C-grade team getting to play only B-grade and D-grade teams and not one other C-grade team. By my reckoning, there are:

4 other C-grade teams; and
7 other B-grade and D-grade teams

Chance of said C-grade team not meeting another C-grade team in each round would be:

Round #1 = 7/11 = 64%
Round #2 = 6/10 = 60%
Round #3 = 5/9 = 56%
Round #4 = 4/8 = 50%
Round #5 = 3/8 = 43%

Cumulative = 64% x 60% x 56% x 50% x 43% = roughly 21%

TrueBeliever
30-08-2008, 02:19 AM
The round 5 results are now on the CV web site http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com go to interclub resilts via 08 CV tournaments. Needs checking though

queenant89
30-08-2008, 03:21 AM
To keep myself amused, I had a crack at calculating the odds of a C-grade team getting to play only B-grade and D-grade teams and not one other C-grade team. By my reckoning, there are:

4 other C-grade teams; and
7 other B-grade and D-grade teams

Chance of said C-grade team not meeting another C-grade team in each round would be:

Round #1 = 7/11 = 64%
Round #2 = 6/10 = 60%
Round #3 = 5/9 = 56%
Round #4 = 4/8 = 50%
Round #5 = 3/8 = 43%

Cumulative = 64% x 60% x 56% x 50% x 43% = roughly 21%

ull find its more like closer to 3% if ive done my maths correctly...

MichaelBaron
30-08-2008, 03:49 AM

Sigh...as a person who always struggled with Maths...I will not calculate the odds. Lets just say some results are impossible :).

Spiny Norman
30-08-2008, 05:23 AM
Quite right ... I had my columns and calculations mucked up ... here's a better effort (I hope):

Non-C Unpaired Chance Cumulative
Round Teams Teams This Round Chance
1 7 11 64% 64%
2 6 10 60% 38%
3 5 9 56% 21%
4 4 8 50% 11%
5 3 7 43% 5%

Spiny Norman
30-08-2008, 05:27 AM
The round 5 results are now on the CV web site http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com go to interclub resilts via 08 CV tournaments. Needs checking though
Croydon A is recorded as having beaten City of Yarra A by 2.5-1.5, yet the results table has credited Croydon A with 1 pt and City of Yarra with 3 pts. Thus, the table shows City of Yarra winning A-grade, when on corrected scores there was a three-way tie between other teams.

I haven't checked any other results though, so people from other clubs/teams might need to do that ...

Spiny Norman
30-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Also ... Croydon-C's results are mucked up for Round #5 ...

shelldrake
30-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Also ... Croydon-C's results are mucked up for Round #5 ...

Croydon C Canterbury D
result
name rating
1 Reg Chong unr. 0 - 1 Michael Tanner unr.
2 Jamie Cross 1230 1 - 0 Zachary Low unr.
3 Jean Watson 1210 0F - 1F Dominic Huang unr.
4 Steven Wills 1002 0F - 1F Nivedita Anguswamy unr.

should read
board 1 0.5/0.5
Board 2,3,4 are wins to croydon C team.

TrueBeliever
30-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Corrections made

MichaelBaron
30-08-2008, 11:20 AM
What an Exiting finish to the Interclub! Feels like a chess Ollympiad. Everything was decided in the last round with City of Yarra finishing ahead of 3 other teams.:clap: Therefore, 4 teams out of the 6 participating are within half a point of one-another - how close is that!

Bill Gletsos
30-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Croydon C Canterbury D
result
name rating
1 Reg Chong unr. 0 - 1 Michael Tanner unr.
2 Jamie Cross 1230 1 - 0 Zachary Low unr.
3 Jean Watson 1210 0F - 1F Dominic Huang unr.
4 Steven Wills 1002 0F - 1F Nivedita Anguswamy unr.

should read
board 1 0.5/0.5
Board 2,3,4 are wins to croydon C team.So were boards 3 and 4 actually wins across the board for Croydon or were they wins on forfeit by Croydon.

shelldrake
30-08-2008, 06:04 PM
So were boards 3 and 4 actually wins across the board for Croydon or were they wins on forfeit by Croydon.

No forfeit, our opponents were there and put up a respectable fight IMHO.

Metro
30-08-2008, 10:29 PM
(To clarify a shout) In game L.Sandler v D.Hacche,Leonid made a motion to sac a bishop for pawn in the end game.He then thought the better of it or was simply joking and moved elsewhere.Laughter and smiles followed by Leonid and David and spectators.Who says chess is too serious? Game drawn.

Spiny Norman
31-08-2008, 08:01 AM
How come Canterbury Juniors C played Box Hill D1 twice (rounds #2 and #4)???

Watto
31-08-2008, 09:55 AM
How come Canterbury Juniors C played Box Hill D1 twice (rounds #2 and #4)???
There might be a case of mistaken identity. I think there has been confusion around Canterbury D and Box Hill D1.
In round 5 for instance, Croydon C thought they were playing Canterbury D and it is recorded as such on the Chess Victoria website. Same with Croydon D vs Box Hill D1. But, from looking at the team members it looks to me like Croydon C was actually playing Box Hill D1 and Croydon D played Canterbury D.
http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com/08_interclub_results.htm
Box Hill D1 played Canterbury D in round 1 and that's where I'm getting what I think are the correct teams. In round 4, they've been switched around as they were in round 5... :hmm:

D Dragicevic
01-09-2008, 01:20 PM
What an Exiting finish to the Interclub! Feels like a chess Ollympiad. Everything was decided in the last round with City of Yarra finishing ahead of 3 other teams.:clap: Therefore, 4 teams out of the 6 participating are within half a point of one-another - how close is that!

Yes, it was a very exciting tournament, from beginning to the end. Congratulations to City of Yarra for winning the tournament.