PDA

View Full Version : Aus Open deadline extended, report by Gary Wastell

ER
18-05-2008, 10:22 PM
AUSTRALIAN OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP 2008-2009

from Gary Wastell, ACF President

The ACF Council has extended to 30 June 2008 the deadline for offers to conduct the 2008-2009 Australian Open Championship on behalf of the ACF.

Other aspects of the call for bids published in email newsletters 417 and 418 are unchanged:
- ACF by-laws and resolutions governing the conduct of Australian Championship tournaments, including the Australian Open Championship, may be seen on the ACF web site at www.auschess.org.au via the link to Constitution and By-laws;
- Under current by-laws, the 2008-2009 Australian Women's Championship is to be incorporated in the Open Championship;
- The chosen organiser must endeavour to conduct the tournament in compliance with all ACF Council resolutions and by-laws not suspended for the purpose;
- Normal time is a starting date in late December or very early January and a finishing date towards the middle of January;
- An expression of interest in having the title decided by results in a tournament that is currently scheduled to be held in NSW in a later month remains under consideration;
- ACF will provide the organiser with a guarantee against loss of an amount not exceeding $2000, receipt of which would be conditional upon presentation of a financial statement acceptable to the Council;
- Bids should contain the information required by the By-laws for ACF Tournaments, which are at www.auschess.org.au/constitution/index.html;
- Bids should be submitted to the ACF Secretary Jey Hoole at jeydh4@hotmail.com with a copy to ACF President Gary Wastell at gwastell@netspace.net.au.

An application form covering matters in the by-laws may be obtained by contacting either of the above.

I think this is a very important document and has to be publicised! This is an individual initiative and I hope it is not taken as an effort to present this board as an instrument of ACF or otherwise!
Cheers and good luck!

PS if the document has already been published elsewhere on this CCF, please accept my sincere apologies for useless repetition.
Cheers again!

Garvinator
18-05-2008, 11:05 PM
The thread title is still vague.

How about- Aus Open deadline extended, report by Gary Wastell.

ER
18-05-2008, 11:10 PM

Correct!!!

eclectic
18-05-2008, 11:19 PM

yeah were it not for the author i might have thought it was a spam thread what with its original title :eek:

MichaelBaron
19-05-2008, 12:14 AM
[I]
[B] - An expression of interest in having the title decided by results in a tournament that is currently scheduled to be held in NSW in a later month remains under consideration;
!

Is it referring to Syd International?:hmm:

pax
19-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Is it referring to Syd International?:hmm:
I would imagine so. This could be an excellent solution to the conundrum.

ER
19-05-2008, 02:03 PM
It definitely sounds like a logical explanation, however, I would not suggest anything since it is on the ACF's hands to make a specific announcement on the matter.
Cheers and good luck

george
20-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi All,

In what was passed by Council its not necessarily restricted to SIO.

Could be any tourney which is open and conforms to ACF Australian Open requirements.

kindest regards

pax
21-05-2008, 01:51 AM
In what was passed by Council its not necessarily restricted to SIO.
The way it's worded would seem to refer to a specific proposal regarding an existing tournament in NSW, which would seem highly likely to be the SIO. I'm sure other similar proposals would also be considered on their merits.

MichaelBaron
21-05-2008, 02:15 AM
Hi All,

Could be any tourney which is open and conforms to ACF Australian Open requirements.

kindest regards

If it could be "any" tourney, why does it have to be NSW? ;)

george
21-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Hi Michael,

Any.

Bill Gletsos
21-05-2008, 12:46 PM
If it could be "any" tourney, why does it have to be NSW? ;)You misunderstand.
In the original post that justaknight made Gary is noting that there is a specific expression of interest regarding a NSW event.

What George is saying is that there is nothing precluding event (from any state) for submitting a similar expression of interest.

Denis_Jessop
21-05-2008, 03:32 PM
I might add that the text posted by justaknight may be found as an official ACF announcement both from the link on the ACF web site home page and in the ACF Newsletter no.419 of 11 May that is on the Aussie News link.

DJ

ER
21-05-2008, 03:56 PM
I might add that the text posted by justaknight may be found as an official ACF announcement both from the link on the ACF web site home page and in the ACF Newsletter no.419 of 11 May that is on the Aussie News link.

DJ

Correct and my apologies for not referring to the original source in the post!
Cheers and good luck!

Thunderstone
04-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Last month I read in the Sydney Morning Herald chess column that the Australian Open Championship is due to be held in Sydney early January 2009.

Can anyone confirm this or has any more information?

Garvinator
04-08-2008, 12:53 PM
On a possibly tenuous related issue, if the Aus Open is rolled into the SIO, what happens with the National Conference?

Will it be held during the Aus Juniors instead?

Brian_Jones
04-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Last month I read in the Sydney Morning Herald chess column that the Australian Open Championship is due to be held in Sydney early January 2009.

Can anyone confirm this or has any more information?

Nothing confirmed yet, but I suspect that the 2009 Australian Open will be held in Sydney's Northern Beaches area in early January (at the same time as the Australian Junior Championships will be held in in Adelaide).

peter_parr
04-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Nothing confirmed yet, but I suspect that the 2009 Australian Open will be held in Sydney's Northern Beaches area in early December (at the same time as the Australian Junior Championships will be held in in Adelaide).

Australian Open is confirmed It will be held at Manly-Waringah Leagues Club (Sydney) 2-13 January 2009. (not December)

The Australian Junior is also on the same dates in Adelaide January 2-13 (not December).

Read it first in SMH.

Thunderstone
04-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Australian Open is confirmed It will be held at Manly-Waringah Leagues Club (Sydney) 2-13 January 2009. (not December)

The Australian Junior is also on the same dates in Adelaide January 2-13 (not December).

Read it first in SMH.

Thanx!

Bill Gletsos
05-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Australian Open is confirmed It will be held at Manly-Waringah Leagues Club (Sydney) 2-13 January 2009. (not December)The dates are 2-11 January.

eclectic
05-08-2008, 07:15 PM
a 9 rounder or an 11 rounder with 2 games per day on 2 days?

Bill Gletsos
05-08-2008, 07:35 PM
a 9 rounder or an 11 rounder with 2 games per day on 2 days?11 rounds.

Adamski
06-08-2008, 12:33 AM
The dates are 2-11 January.Correct. But Norman Greenwood told me tonight that although the majority of ACF Council support the Manly venue bid, it is not yet official. Should be soon, though.

Bill Gletsos
06-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Correct. But Norman Greenwood told me tonight that although the majority of ACF Council support the Manly venue bid, it is not yet official. Should be soon, though.Perhaps what Norm means it that it has not yet officially appeared in the ACF newsletter.

However the result of the motion awarding the 2009 Australian Open was declared late last week by the ACF President.
The decision is therefore official and the organisers have been informed.

Adamski
06-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Perhaps what Norm means it that it has not yet officially appeared in the ACF newsletter.

Hiwever the result of the motion awarding the 2009 Australian Open was declared late last week by the ACF President.
The decision is therefore official and the organisers have been informed.Ta, Bill. Indeed that is true, including your last statement. So we look forward to seeing lots of chess chat posters at Manly early in the New year. BTW all. the NSW Northern Beaches is a great area to combine a holiday in the sun with serious chess! And its good night / morning from me!

Oepty
08-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Perhaps what Norm means it that it has not yet officially appeared in the ACF newsletter.

However the result of the motion awarding the 2009 Australian Open was declared late last week by the ACF President.

Who are the organisers?
Scott

Brian_Jones
08-08-2008, 04:38 PM

Well ACF Newsletter 426 has now come and gone.

Doesn't anybody feel responsible (care?) to inform the chess players?

Or will this event stay a secret for another few weeks?

Axiom
08-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Well ACF Newsletter 426 has now come and gone.

Doesn't anybody feel responsible (care?) to inform the chess players?

Or will this event stay a secret for another few weeks?
you seem well aware of the nature of the information battle

george
08-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi All,

The Organisers should be the ones to announce the event. Even if all details are not finalised I would have thought starting a new thread here with basic info and announcing the tourney would have been a good idea.

I guess the ACF Executive could have put out a one liner saying the event had been awarded etc. but I would have thought with the Open the earlier notice you give the public the more chance you have of getting good numbers so again its up to the Organisers.

Anyway good luck to the Organisers and I hope the chess public get to hear of the details of the event and publicity of the accompanying website/webpage asap.

kindest Regards

Adamski
08-08-2008, 09:03 PM
The organisers are individuals from the Manly Warringah Leagues Club Chess Club. An organising committee has now been formed.
I will start a new thread as suggested tomorrow when I will have the official press release which I can post on this forum. In the meantime, plan to come to the beautiful NSW northern beaches (venue our leagues club) for January 2 -11, 2009. And, yes, there will be a web site.

eclectic
10-08-2008, 08:21 PM
perhaps this thread should be closed [agreed -mod]; unless the mods wish to keep it reserved for drivel overflowing from adamski's official? thread ;)