Vincent Suttor
Andrew Bird
FM Vlad Smirnov
FM Brett Tindall
IM Tibor Karolyi
FM Greg Canfell
FM Max Fuller
Jason Hu

Are there any other 2100+ players interested in taking part?

Brett Tindall (organiser)

Garvinator
13-05-2008, 01:44 PM
No Max Illingworth??

Igor_Goldenberg
13-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Good fields, looks like a very strong tournament.

Is Tibor Karolyi eligible for the title?
I'd say Greg Canfell and Tomek Rej are the main contenders for the title, but it could be anyone.

Desmond
15-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Did you have any resistance organising the state title event on a weekly basis? I would have thought that that would disadvantage any regional players.

Brian_Jones
15-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Did you have any resistance organising the state title event on a weekly basis? I would have thought that that would disadvantage any regional players.

Yes Boris, I have been making this very point for many years now but the NSW Council just ignore me. This year they have put it in the too hard box and handed the event over to Brett (Tindall) to run at Sydney Academy of Chess in Strathfield.

If you live in Newcastle, Central Coast, Wollongong, Western Sydney and Blue Mountains, Wagga, Orange, Dubbo, Blayney, Tamworth, Armidale, Coffs Harbour, North Coast etc. you can forget about winning the NSW State Championship!

pax
15-05-2008, 04:36 PM
If you live in Newcastle, Central Coast, Wollongong, Western Sydney and Blue Mountains, Wagga, Orange, Dubbo, Blayney, Tamworth, Armidale, Coffs Harbour, North Coast etc. you can forget about winning the NSW State Championship!

I have a good friend who commuted from Orange to the University of Sydney on a weekly basis for years in order to conduct a Uni choir (for a very modest payment). It is not impossible for a player from many of the listed regions to compete in Sydney on nine occasions. Has anybody canvassed the top players and asked them what format they prefer?

Bill Gletsos
15-05-2008, 04:43 PM
This year they have put it in the too hard box and handed the event over to Brett (Tindall) to run at Sydney Academy of Chess in Strathfield.That isnt correct.
Last year when discussing the NSW Championships the NSWCA Council decided that it would just run the Title division. Whilst discussing possible venues Brett (the then NSWCA Tournaments Officer and current NSWCA Council member without protfolio) offered to run the event at his premises in Strathfield.
The council accepted his offer.

Bill Gletsos
15-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I note that all states with the exception of Tasmania and Queensland have generally run their State Championships over 9 weeks, some even longer.
Victoria changed to a single week format for last years championship.
The Victorian Championship last year was run over a 10 day period but is this year reverting to their usual multi-week from 27th Sept to 9th Nov.

Igor_Goldenberg
15-05-2008, 05:41 PM
I note that all states with the exception of Tasmania and Queensland have generally run their State Championships over 9 weeks, some even longer.
Victoria changed to a single week format for last years championship.
The Victorian Championship last year was run over a 10 day period but is this year reverting to their usual multi-week from 7th Sept 7th to 9th Nov.
Main reason being that players were not happy with 9 games in 10 rounds (especially those that do not take time of work).

Phil Bourke
15-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Don't panic. If we keep reminding them, "they" will surely realise that NSW doesn't begin at Bondi and end at Parramatta! :)
Just a reminder, to travel from here, Blayney (Google Maps will show you where it is) to Strathfield would be a 3.5 hr drive (seven hour round trip if you don't strike any hold ups). So let's see, game time 7 pm (example) would require that we leave at 3 pm at the latest, just in case there is a traffic snarl anywhere. Going to need a compassionate boss to let us go early for that one. It is going to cost around $80 in petrol, around $30 for a bite to eat and a cup of coffee or two, geez, I hope that is enough. Going to need a compassionate wife for that one :) Get home around 3 am, get up at 7.30 next morning to go to work, going to need compassionate workmates and family to put up with that bear :) Yes it can be done, but just how much devotion and effort from a country cousin to participate in this type of weekly event. Considering we are probably one of the closer centres, I would hate to see the timetable of those from further afield.
You soon see why country players soon decide that it isn't worth the money or hassle of even contemplating entering into these events.

Leonid Sandler
15-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Victorian Championship 2008 will be run from September 27th till November 9th.
Full details(entry fees,prizes) will follow soon .Venues and dates are available
on www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com

brett
15-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Yes Boris, I have been making this very point for many years now but the NSW Council just ignore me. This year they have put it in the too hard box and handed the event over to Brett (Tindall) to run at Sydney Academy of Chess in Strathfield.

Thats what the NSW Open is for Brian!

Garvinator
16-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Don't panic. If we keep reminding them, "they" will surely realise that NSW doesn't begin at Bondi and end at Parramatta! :)
Just a reminder, to travel from here, Blayney (Google Maps will show you where it is) to Strathfield would be a 3.5 hr drive (seven hour round trip if you don't strike any hold ups). So let's see, game time 7 pm (example) would require that we leave at 3 pm at the latest, just in case there is a traffic snarl anywhere. Going to need a compassionate boss to let us go early for that one. It is going to cost around $80 in petrol, around $30 for a bite to eat and a cup of coffee or two, geez, I hope that is enough. Going to need a compassionate wife for that one :) Get home around 3 am, get up at 7.30 next morning to go to work, going to need compassionate workmates and family to put up with that bear :) Yes it can be done, but just how much devotion and effort from a country cousin to participate in this type of weekly event. Considering we are probably one of the closer centres, I would hate to see the timetable of those from further afield.
You soon see why country players soon decide that it isn't worth the money or hassle of even contemplating entering into these events.
From what has been said by other posters, it is just the title division ie the top ten players, that is being run on a one round per week format.

So, are there any players who have or are going to miss out due to the one round per week format? This means that there would need to be a player rated over 2100 who does not live in greater Sydney.

pax
16-05-2008, 01:26 AM
So how many 2100+ players live in Blayney?

I appreciate your difficulties, but realistically the NSW Championships need to be pitched at the top 20 players in the state, in a format that those players are likely to prefer. It's just not practical to choose the format based on the requirements of the very few country players who are up to Championship standard, if such a format causes half of the top Sydney players to stay away.

Brian_Jones
16-05-2008, 08:19 AM
So how many 2100+ players live in Blayney? I appreciate your difficulties, but realistically the NSW Championships need to be pitched at the top 20 players in the state, in a format that those players are likely to prefer. It's just not practical to choose the format based on the requirements of the very few country players who are up to Championship standard, if such a format causes half of the top Sydney players to stay away.

Over the years we have had quite a few players (eg Zhao, Lane, Curtis, Lovejoy) living more than 50km outside Sydney. Why should any of them be disadvantaged by not being given the opportunity to become State Champion?

To do otherwise (and by not attracting the best players eg GMs and IMs) has just lowered the prestige of the State Championship title.

With apologies to many-time title winner Greg Canfell, he has never been the best player in NSW!

I prefer the format used for Australian Masters and/or Victorian Masters.
10 or 12 player FIDE-rated round robin held over one week. Possibly two rounds a day, possible alongside the NSW Open or similar.

Top active players in NSW are: Zhao, Xie, Kanikevich, Lane, Bjelobrk, Feldman, Rej, Illingworth, Smirnov, Tan, Canfell and Scott.

I am sure that many of these would want to play if the rewards were high! :)

It is up to our administrators to find the money rather than run a second-rate event! :)

Phil Bourke
16-05-2008, 10:34 AM
So how many 2100+ players live in Blayney?

I appreciate your difficulties, but realistically the NSW Championships need to be pitched at the top 20 players in the state, in a format that those players are likely to prefer. It's just not practical to choose the format based on the requirements of the very few country players who are up to Championship standard, if such a format causes half of the top Sydney players to stay away.
I was using known circumstances to illustrate the difficulties posed by the proposed tournament. Without being distracted by a singular question such as "So how many 2100+ players live in Blayney?", which of course is easy, none at present :)

How about we put the question the other way, "How many 2100+ players in NSW are facing a similar dilemma as I presented if they wish to play in this event?" Now this is a question that I don't know the answer to, but I have never been a lawyer :)

But, if the answer to that question is one, that is one too many, this is supposed to be a showcase event to find and acknowledge the best player in the State, not just a event to find a name to put on the honour roll.

brett
16-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Top active players in NSW are: Zhao, Xie, Kanikevich, Lane, Bjelobrk, Feldman, Rej, Illingworth, Smirnov, Tan, Canfell and Scott.

I am sure that many of these would want to play if the rewards were high! :)

It is up to our administrators to find the money rather than run a second-rate event! :)

Hi Brian

The players you mentioned

Zhao: Has Been asked but is too busy to commit
Xie: Has said he is is interested in playing
Kanikevich: Retired
Lane: Currently overseas
Bjelobrk:Going to make contact with him (does anyone have his email address)
Feldman: Unlikely to play as is semi retired but I will make contact
Smirnov: Has already confirmed he will play
Rej: already confirmed he will play
Tan: Does not play anymore, mainly for fun
Canfell: Will play
Scott: Unlikely to play
Illingworth: Unable to commit to either a weekend or a weeknight due to study commitments.

Several players who have never played in the State championship such as Rej and Smirnov are keen to play under the new system.

With the list of players who have shown interest I believe the list of players is by far much more stonger than the line up in previous years mainly due to the change of format.

Updated list of Players who have expressed interest in playing

Tomek Rej
Vincent Suttor
Andrew Bird
FM Vlad Smirnov
FM Brett Tindall
IM Tibor Karolyi
FM Greg Canfell
FM Max Fuller
IM George Xie
FM Jesse Sales (maybe)
Jason Hu
Ayvazyan, Armen

If Dejan Antic is able to play I can perhaps make this an IM Norm event. We will have enough IMs and foreign players

Igor_Goldenberg
16-05-2008, 12:15 PM

Tomek Rej
Vincent Suttor
Andrew Bird
FM Vlad Smirnov
FM Brett Tindall
IM Tibor Karolyi
FM Greg Canfell
FM Max Fuller
IM George Xie
FM Jesse Sales (maybe)
Jason Hu
Ayvazyan, Armen

If Dejan Antic is able to play I can perhaps make this an IM Norm event. We will have enough IMs and foreign players

Looks even stronger now with Xie as the main favourite.
I'd like Vic championship to be an IM nor event (as we have enough IM's and strong foreign players, but never manage to get them together).

Brian_Jones
16-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Pretty good field at short notice Brett; but I suggest you get some committment to ensure they all play proper games and finish the event! :)

For 2009, why not set the dates for the round robin now. You could chose 5 consecutive days over say the Labour Day weekend or just before Xmas (thus avoiding the likely June Zonal). This gives you 12-18 months to try to get some real sponsorship and then all the titled players (including Zhao, Antic and Lane) can be paid appearance fees or might be attracted by the larger prizefund?

bergil
16-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Hi Brian

The players you mentioned

Zhao: Has Been asked but is too busy to commit
Xie: Has said he is is interested in playing
Kanikevich: Retired
Lane: Currently overseas
Feldman: Unlikely to play as is semi retired but I will make contact
Smirnov: Has already confirmed he will play
Rej: already confirmed he will play
Tan: Does not play anymore, mainly for fun
Canfell: Will play
Scott: Unlikely to play
Illingworth: Unable to commit to either a weekend or a weeknight due to study commitments.

Several players who have never played in the State championship such as Rej and Smirnov are keen to play under the new system.

With the list of players who have shown interest I believe the list of players is by far much more stonger than the line up in previous years mainly due to the change of format.

Tomek Rej
Vincent Suttor
Andrew Bird
FM Vlad Smirnov
FM Brett Tindall
IM Tibor Karolyi
FM Greg Canfell
FM Max Fuller
IM George Xie
FM Jesse Sales (maybe)
Jason Hu
Ayvazyan, Armen

If Dejan Antic is able to play I can perhaps make this an IM Norm event. We will have enough IMs and foreign playersI spoke to Dejan last night and he said he was interested in playing and perhaps IM Kizov who is still in the country from the SIO may be as well.

pax
16-05-2008, 05:12 PM
But, if the answer to that question is one, that is one too many, this is supposed to be a showcase event to find and acknowledge the best player in the State, not just a event to find a name to put on the honour roll.
That's an idealistic position, but not a very practical one. The alternative arrangements that would make it possible for country players to play (e.g one nine day block, or three consecutive weekends, or one mega-weekender) would either cause other players to be unable to play, or would compromise the quality of the chess. There is unfortunately no one magic format which is perfect for every player.

Phil Bourke
17-05-2008, 12:09 AM
That's an idealistic position, but not a very practical one. The alternative arrangements that would make it possible for country players to play (e.g one nine day block, or three consecutive weekends, or one mega-weekender) would either cause other players to be unable to play, or would compromise the quality of the chess. There is unfortunately no one magic format which is perfect for every player.
Agreed. My only grief is, why, when it comes to compromise, players located outside the metropolitan area seem to be the only ones disadvantaged by the compromise solution?

As I will say again and again, NSW doesn't start at Bondi and finish at Parramatta! :)

That aside, the tournament is shaping up as a good one and I hope that part of the compromise solution includes broadcasting the games on the net so that us country cousins can at least enjoy a psuedo feeling of being there.

Garvinator
17-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Agreed. My only grief is, why, when it comes to compromise, players located outside the metropolitan area seem to be the only ones disadvantaged by the compromise solution?

As I will say again and again, NSW doesn't start at Bondi and finish at Parramatta! :)

That aside, the tournament is shaping up as a good one and I hope that part of the compromise solution includes broadcasting the games on the net so that us country cousins can at least enjoy a psuedo feeling of being there.
I do not think locality has much to do with it. The tournament is being held where the high majority of 2100+ rated players are located. If these players all lived in Newcastle (or maybe even Blayney ;) ), then I strongly suspect that the NSW Championship would be held there.

Phil Bourke
17-05-2008, 12:56 AM
Location is not the only thing that creates problems, it is also the schedule of one match per week, creating the need for those outside of the immediate area to commit to extensive travel and expenses for a period of nine weeks. (I think, didn't check, so don't hang me :) )

But as expressed by Pax and agreed, finding a compromise solution to satisfy all possible contenders is nigh impossible.

The one thing that I would offer is that accommodation and food expenses would be greatly reduced if it was held in Blayney :) Our three motels are first rate with a good hotel as a cheaper alternative. Quality meals are readily sourced at good prices. Mmm, I better stop thinking too much about this. :)

Metro
17-05-2008, 03:55 AM
Victorian Championship 2008 will be run from September 27th till November 9th.
Full details(entry fees,prizes) will follow soon .Venues and dates are available
on www.chessvictoria.netfirms.com

Care to create a new thread?

brett
17-05-2008, 07:40 AM
GM Dejan Antic 2486
IM George Xie 2417
IM Tibor Karolyi 2352
FM Igor Bjelobrk 2352
FM Vlad Smirnov (Overseas) 2318
FM Jesse Sales (maybe) (overseas) 2312
Tomek Rej 2289
FM Greg Canfell 2286
FM Max Fuller 2269
Ayvazyan, Armen 2245
FM Brett Tindall 2239
Andrew Bird 2154
Vincent Suttor 2140
Jason Hu 2120

brett
17-05-2008, 09:44 AM
GM Dejan Antic 2486 (OS)
IM George Xie 2417
IM Tibor Karolyi 2352 (OS)
FM Igor Bjelobrk 2352
FM Vlad Smirnov 2318 (OS)
FM Jesse Sales (maybe) 2312 (OS)
FM Denis Bucher 2305 (OS)
Tomek Rej 2289
FM Greg Canfell 2286
FM Max Fuller 2269
Ayvazyan, Armen 2245
FM Brett Tindall 2239
Andrew Bird 2154
Vincent Suttor 2140
Jason Hu 2120

Adamski
17-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi Brian

The players you mentioned...
Brett, Igor Bj lurks on this board and occasionally contributes. One of the mods would have his email address. Can one provide Brett with it?

brett
17-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks Adamski.

I managed to get his phone number and contacted him directly. He was interested in taking part.

pax
19-05-2008, 12:56 PM
That's a great field, and a vast improvement on previous years. I wonder if the difference is the format, or the personal contact asking players to take part?

brett
19-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Probably a combination of both.

Garvinator
19-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Probably a combination of both.
Hello Brett,

Mind if I ask, what is the prize pool? Reason for asking is I am trying get an idea whether there is a heap of cash being played for and that might be a reason for the strong field, or it is to do with the format and being asked.

Trying to understand the motives of how come the field looks so much stronger than previous years.

brett
20-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi Garvin,

First prize will be approx $1000. (fairly normal compared to other years)

What makes it attractive to strong players

1) Chance to play other strong players
2) Potential IM norm event
3) Weeknight game meaning that weekends dont have to be sacrificed.
4) A chance to improve your ELO rating (which is alot harder in open events in Aus as there are alot of people with extremely low ratings and the top players have to almost win every game to maintain their rating!)

I know most of the participants and was able to chase them up reasonably quickly.

brett
21-05-2008, 07:03 PM
IM George Xie 2417
IM Tibor Karolyi 2352 (OS)
FM Igor Bjelobrk 2352
FM Vlad Smirnov 2318 (OS)
FM Jesse Sales 2312 (OS)
FM Denis Bucher 2305 (OS)
IM Vladimir Feldman 2301 (Awaiting confirmation)
Tomek Rej 2289
FM Greg Canfell 2286
IM Irina Feldman 2246 (Awaiting confirmation)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Reserves
Ayvazyan, Armen 2245
FM Brett Tindall 2239
Syed, Kabir 2236 (overseas)
Andrew Bird 2154
Vincent Suttor 2140
Jason Hu 2120

Kerry Stead
23-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Just a question, but how is a tournament with so many overseas players a NSW Championship?

Yes, I realise players like Smirnov (who is legitimately entitled to play) are O/S as far a FIDE are concerned, but are people like Karolyi and Boucher eligible for the title?? Doesn't this take something away from the title (and tournament), as it is no longer a truly NSW Championship?

Basil
23-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Kerry, I'd guess that there is a distinction between the tournament "winner" (who is eligible for da cash) and the "champion" (who is eligible for da title), a la Australian Champion, which this year was Solomon although he finished second.

brett
24-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Just a question, but how is a tournament with so many overseas players a NSW Championship?

Yes, I realise players like Smirnov (who is legitimately entitled to play) are O/S as far a FIDE are concerned, but are people like Karolyi and Boucher eligible for the title?? Doesn't this take something away from the title (and tournament), as it is no longer a truly NSW Championship?

Tibor is an overseas visitor.
Boucher has been living in Sydney for around 2 years now.

Tibor wont be elligable for the title. But by him taking part in the event it will garantee an IM norm event.

Over the last few years the turn out has been extremely dissapointing. Actually the event was going to be scrapped all together.

I offered to run it and try and make it a decent event. If you notice the line up contains most of Sydneys top players who have never competed in the event before.

I have inserted one foreign player who is not a local to ensure an IM event. I think this is one very minute concession.

Brian_Jones
24-05-2008, 10:55 AM
.....the lineup contains most of Sydneys top players who have never competed in the event before..

Without Rogers, Zhao, Antic, Lane etc. I think you mean many of NSW's best players? :)

MichaelBaron
24-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Without Rogers, Zhao, Antic, Lane etc. I think you mean many of NSW's best players? :)

Hasn't Rogers retired :doh: ? If yes - how can be expected to play irrespectively of the tournament format :rolleyes:

I think NSW championship organisers should be congratulated on making it IM norm event!:clap:

brett
24-05-2008, 12:25 PM

Sorry Brian I will re phrase. Almost all the strongest players in Sydney are playing with the exception of the players who have either retired or who require conditions to play :D

Javier Gil
25-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Unfortunately, I won't be playing, but the format of 1 round per week is, in my opinion, a very good choice.
Serious chess for a change!

Kerry Stead
28-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Tibor is an overseas visitor.
Boucher has been living in Sydney for around 2 years now.

Tibor wont be elligable for the title. But by him taking part in the event it will garantee an IM norm event.

Over the last few years the turn out has been extremely dissapointing. Actually the event was going to be scrapped all together.

I offered to run it and try and make it a decent event. If you notice the line up contains most of Sydneys top players who have never competed in the event before.

I have inserted one foreign player who is not a local to ensure an IM event. I think this is one very minute concession.

Although I can understand where you are coming from ... and it is much better that the event runs than it doesn't (given the history & prestige involved), however there are still some questions which need to be answered:

Is it necessary to make the event an IM norm event?

Would the players who you have got to play in the event do so if the field was slightly weaker and was not an IM norm event?

I have a feeling they would (though I could be wrong), so why deprive a 'local' from playing in an event they are entitled to play in ... particularly as there are no alternatives as far as playing in a lower division is concerned ...

Basil
28-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Kerry, when you wrote

and I wrote

Kerry, I'd guess that there is a distinction between the tournament "winner" (who is eligible for da cash) and the "champion" (who is eligible for da title), a la Australian Champion, which this year was Solomon although he finished second.

I genuinely (albeit surprisingly) thought you didn't know. However, on following the rest of the responses, it appears now that your question was a rhetorical one. Clearly an event styled "NSW State Championships 2008" is exactly what it says it is and therefore the logical answer and the question itself was not to be taken at face value.

brett
28-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Although I can understand where you are coming from ... and it is much better that the event runs than it doesn't (given the history & prestige involved), however there are still some questions which need to be answered:

Is it necessary to make the event an IM norm event?

Would the players who you have got to play in the event do so if the field was slightly weaker and was not an IM norm event?

I have a feeling they would (though I could be wrong), so why deprive a 'local' from playing in an event they are entitled to play in ... particularly as there are no alternatives as far as playing in a lower division is concerned ...

"Is it necessary to make the event an IM norm event?"

If it is possible to arrange an IM event why not?

"Would the players who you have got to play in the event do so if the field was slightly weaker and was not an IM norm event? "

Most of the players would have been less inclined to play in the event if there were no IM Norms available.

"I have a feeling they would (though I could be wrong), so why deprive a 'local' from playing in an event they are entitled to play in ... particularly as there are no alternatives as far as playing in a lower division is concerned "

There is one foreign player taking part in the event who is not a NSW resident. So I would be taking away 1 spot from a local player. If you look over the past 20 years how many of NSWs top players take part in the state championships? I guess now by getting stronger players playing and creating an IM norm chance the event has sparked interest of the top NSW players. (Isnt this what we want to happen??)

There will also be a 2nd division round robin event which will be fide rated for players who have missed out in the top division

Kerry Stead
28-05-2008, 08:09 PM
"Is it necessary to make the event an IM norm event?"

If it is possible to arrange an IM event why not?

"Would the players who you have got to play in the event do so if the field was slightly weaker and was not an IM norm event? "

Most of the players would have been less inclined to play in the event if there were no IM Norms available.

"I have a feeling they would (though I could be wrong), so why deprive a 'local' from playing in an event they are entitled to play in ... particularly as there are no alternatives as far as playing in a lower division is concerned "

There is one foreign player taking part in the event who is not a NSW resident. So I would be taking away 1 spot from a local player. If you look over the past 20 years how many of NSWs top players take part in the state championships? I guess now by getting stronger players playing and creating an IM norm chance the event has sparked interest of the top NSW players. (Isnt this what we want to happen??)

There will also be a 2nd division round robin event which will be fide rated for players who have missed out in the top division

Your final remark changes some of my thoughts about the event. I was under the impression that there was no '2nd division', so that players who had previously won the title may not be able to compete at all!

The main reason why you would not want to make it an IM norm tournament is because of the fact that it is a state championship. I'm all for running IM events and giving players like Tomek Rej the opportunity to achieve an IM norm, however such a tournament can be run at any time, as long as you have players able to play. The NSW Championship is an annual event that is for a title that has existed for quite a long time & has quite a history to it. I'm just concerned that it might take away from that tradition a little.

And yes, in response to Gunner's posts, I was making the point because unlike an Australian Championship, which is held around the new year period (and is typically a holiday period for many people) over a two week (or less) period, the NSW Championships has typically been played as a game-per-week event, so that there is not normally the possibility of having a visiting foreigner play, as they need to be in Sydney for at least a few months.

tomek_rej
28-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Thank you Brett for organising such a strong tournament.
There are very few FIDE rated tournaments in NSW let alone ones with IM norm chances. So I'm extremely keen to play and would probably play regardless of the format. However I do prefer this year's format to previous years for the simple reason that I don't like to give up 9 Sundays in a row.

Igor_Goldenberg
29-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Thank you Brett for organising such a strong tournament.
There are very few FIDE rated tournaments in NSW let alone ones with IM norm chances. So I'm extremely keen to play and would probably play regardless of the format. However I do prefer this year's format to previous years for the simple reason that I don't like to give up 9 Sundays in a row.

Tomek,
Good luck with the norm!

bergil
19-06-2008, 02:39 PM
State Reserves

10 player FIDE round robin

Every Thursday night at Parramatta RSL

Starting August 7

Interested thus far:

Raul Samar (2254) 2215
Tony Bouchaya (2215) 2135
Gareth Charles (2174) 2118
Jason Hu (2170) 2141
Blair Mandla (2089) 1979
Nick Chernih (2063) 2057

Are there any other 2000+ players interested in taking part?

bergil
15-07-2008, 12:30 PM
NSW State Championship field has been finalised and the draw done.

Players
GM Dejan Antic 2482
IM George Xie 2403
IM Tibor Karolyi 2363
FM Igor Bjelobrk 2348
FM Vladimir Smirnov 2338
FM Jesse Sales 2330
Tomek Rej 2327
FM Denis Bucher 2305
FM Greg Canfell 2286
FM Brett Tindall 2239

Average 2342

Score required for a IM norm 6 out 9

Round 1 White Black
Board 1 Jesse Sales Greg Canfell
Board 2 Denis Bucher Igor Bjelobrk
Board 3 Dejan Antic Tomek Rej
Board 4 George Xie Vladimir Smirnov
Board 5 Tibor Karolyi Brett Tindall

Round 2 White Black
Board 1 Greg Canfell Tibor Karolyi
Board 2 Brett Tindall George Xie
Board 3 Vladimir Smirnov Dejan Antic
Board 4 Tomek Rej Denis Bucher
Board 5 Igor Bjelobrk Jesse Sales

Round 3 White Black
Board 1 Igor Bjelobrk Greg Canfell
Board 2 Jesse Sales Tomek Rej
Board 3 Denis Bucher Vladimir Smirnov
Board 4 Dejan Antic Brett Tindall
Board 5 George Xie Tibor Karolyi

Round 4 White Black
Board 1 Greg Canfell George Xie
Board 2 Tibor Karolyi Dejan Antic
Board 3 Brett Tindall Denis Bucher
Board 4 Vladimir Smirnov Jesse Sales
Board 5 Tomek Rej Igor Bjelobrk

Round 5 White Black
Board 1 Tomek Rej Greg Canfell
Board 2 Igor Bjelobrk Vladimir Smirnov
Board 3 Jesse Sales Brett Tindall
Board 4 Denis Bucher Tibor Karolyi
Board 5 Dejan Antic George Xie

Round 6 White Black
Board 1 Greg Canfell Dejan Antic
Board 2 George Xie Denis Bucher
Board 3 Tibor Karolyi Jesse Sales
Board 4 Brett Tindall Igor Bjelobrk
Board 5 Vladimir Smirnov Tomek Rej

Round 7 White Black
Board 1 Vladimir Smirnov Greg Canfell
Board 2 Tomek Rej Brett Tindall
Board 3 Igor Bjelobrk Tibor Karolyi
Board 4 Jesse Sales George Xie
Board 5 Denis Bucher Dejan Antic

Round 8 White Black
Board 1 Greg Canfell Denis Bucher
Board 2 Dejan Antic Jesse Sales
Board 3 George Xie Igor Bjelobrk
Board 4 Tibor Karolyi Tomek Rej
Board 5 Brett Tindall Vladimir Smirnov

Round 9 White Black
Board 1 Brett Tindall Greg Canfell
Board 2 Vladimir Smirnov Tibor Karolyi
Board 3 Tomek Rej George Xie
Board 4 Igor Bjelobrk Dejan Antic
Board 5 Jesse Sales Denis Bucher

Please note Dejan Antic and George Xie are playing all their games at Parramatta RSL Thursday nights from August 7 clocks start at 7pm.

All other matches are played at the Sydney Academy of Chess on Wednesday nights from August 6 clocks start at 7pm.

Vlad
15-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I just want to say that I also prefer to play in Parramatta. If any other players (for example Tomek) share my position, I suppose we can move our games to Parramatta. If not, no worries, I can play in SAC as well.

black
16-07-2008, 03:40 AM
Were details of this tournament advertised anywhere? I would have been interested, although unable to play on weeknights.

I like the idea of such an event.

Go Tomek!!

brett
16-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Were details of this tournament advertised anywhere? I would have been interested, although unable to play on weeknights.

I like the idea of such an event.

Go Tomek!!

The tournament has been advertised in the NSWCA email bulletin for quite some time now and also on this bulletin board.

Black what is your FIDE rating? We could try and sqeeze you into one of the events. ( I dont mind sitting out)

Brett

black
16-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I don't receive NSWCA emails and only recently joined this bulletin board.

My FIDE rating is only 2114, and this would be horrible for the other players involved, as it would pull down the average rating.

Thanks for the gesture, but there are too many factors against me at such short notice. Most immediately being that I work from 2-10:30pm weeknights, and also that I would not have enough time to become a dangerous opponent for such a strong field. (Although I am working on it.)

I'm interested in seeing you play anyway. Don't sit out. You're an interesting player and it would be great to see a strong performance.

I would love to play next year, and also if you organise another strong event sooner.

Will the games be collected and made available somewhere? This is such a good field of players.

Duff McKagan
17-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Yeah go Brett!

Jason Hu
18-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Brett has an excellent chance for IM norm here.

Igor_Goldenberg
18-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Brett has an excellent chance for IM norm here.
Strong tournament, anyone can get a norm, but I think Tomek Rej and Igor Bjelobrk(if he manages to reverse the slide) have the biggest chance.

bergil
26-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Due to unforeseen circumstances the draw for the Championship had been slightly changed with a few of the rounds brought forward.

Below is the final draw

Round 1 White Black
Board 1 Greg Canfell Tibor Karolyi
Board 2 Brett Tindall George Xie
Board 3 Vladimir Smirnov Dejan Antic
Board 4 Tomek Rej Denis Bucher
Board 5 Igor Bjelobrk Jesse Sales

Round 2 White Black
Board 1 Tomek Rej Greg Canfell
Board 2 Igor Bjelobrk Vladimir Smirnov
Board 3 Jesse Sales Brett Tindall
Board 4 Denis Bucher Tibor Karolyi
Board 5 Dejan Antic George Xie

Round 3 White Black
Board 1 Igor Bjelobrk Greg Canfell
Board 2 Jesse Sales Tomek Rej
Board 3 Denis Bucher Vladimir Smirnov
Board 4 Dejan Antic Brett Tindall
Board 5 George Xie Tibor Karolyi

Round 4 White Black
Board 1 Greg Canfell George Xie
Board 2 Tibor Karolyi Dejan Antic
Board 3 Brett Tindall Denis Bucher
Board 4 Vladimir Smirnov Jesse Sales
Board 5 Tomek Rej Igor Bjelobrk

Round 5 White Black
Board 1 Greg Canfell Dejan Antic
Board 2 George Xie Denis Bucher
Board 3 Tibor Karolyi Jesse Sales
Board 4 Brett Tindall Igor Bjelobrk
Board 5 Vladimir Smirnov Tomek Rej

Round 6 White Black
Board 1 Vladimir Smirnov Greg Canfell
Board 2 Tomek Rej Brett Tindall
Board 3 Igor Bjelobrk Tibor Karolyi
Board 4 Jesse Sales George Xie
Board 5 Denis Bucher Dejan Antic

Round 7 White Black
Board 1 Greg Canfell Denis Bucher
Board 2 Dejan Antic Jesse Sales
Board 3 George Xie Igor Bjelobrk
Board 4 Tibor Karolyi Tomek Rej
Board 5 Brett Tindall Vladimir Smirnov

Round 8 White Black
Board 1 Brett Tindall Greg Canfell
Board 2 Vladimir Smirnov Tibor Karolyi
Board 3 Tomek Rej George Xie
Board 4 Igor Bjelobrk Dejan Antic
Board 5 Jesse Sales Denis Bucher

Round 9 White Black
Board 1 Jesse Sales Greg Canfell
Board 2 Denis Bucher Igor Bjelobrk
Board 3 Dejan Antic Tomek Rej
Board 4 George Xie Vladimir Smirnov
Board 5 Tibor Karolyi Brett Tindall

Please note George Xie and Dejan Antic are playing all their Thursday games at Parramatta RSL Thursday nights from August 7 clocks start at 7pm.

All other matches are played at the Sydney Academy of Chess on Wednesday nights from August 6 clocks start at 7pm.

bergil
26-07-2008, 12:14 PM
August 6th at Sydney Academy of Chess
Round 1
Greg Canfell - Tibor Karolyi
Tomek Rej - Denis Bucher
Igor Bjelobrk - Jesse Sales

August 7th at Parramatta RSL
Round 1
Brett Tindall - George Xie
Vladimir Smirnov - Dejan Antic

brett
07-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Greg Canfell - Tibor Karolyi 1/2
Tomek Rej - Denis Bucher 1-0
Igor Bjelobrk - Jesse Sales 0-1

Brian_Jones
07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Time limit? Arbiter? State Reserves?

kinderchocolate
07-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Any game?

bergil
07-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Time limit? 90 minutes + 30 seconds a move from the start. Being FIDE rated and seeing as I've already told you I thought you may have known? ;)

Arbiter? Nick Chernih and Charles Zworestine for the Championship. Brett Tindall for the Reserves

State Reserves?

Name FIDE ACF
Raul Samar 2263 2216
Gareth Charles 2172 2118
Jason Hu 2171 2141
Vince Suttor 2163 2172
Andrew Bird 2154 2158
Adrian Rose 2115 2081
Blair Mandla 2089 1979
Nick Chernih 2063 2057
Arthur Huynh 1966 1840
Vasil Tulevski 1945 1793

Average 2110 2055

August 6th at Sydney Academy of Chess
Round 1
Vincent Suttor 1-0 Jason Hu

Round 1
Blair Mandla - Raul Samar
Gareth Charles - Adrian Rose
Nick Chernih - Andrew Bird
Arthur Huynh - Vasil Tulevski

bergil
07-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Wednesday August 13th at Sydney Academy of Chess
Round 2
Igor Bjelobrk - Vladimir Smirnov
Tomek Rej - Greg Canfell
Jesse Sales - Brett Tindall
Denis Bucher - Tibor Karolyi

Thursday August 14th at Parramatta RSL
Round 2
Dejan Antic - George Xie

bergil
07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Round 2
Jason Hu - Arthur Huynh
Vasil Tulevski - Nick Chernih
Andrew Bird - Gareth Charles
Adrian Rose - Blair Mandla

Postponed
Raul Samar - Vince Suttor

Ivanchuk_Fan
07-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Will games be available for viewing after the tournament?

bergil
08-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Will games be available for viewing after the tournament?
Yes and possibly before then.

Results from last night.

Round 1
Brett Tindall - George Xie Postponed till Monday
Vladimir Smirnov 1/2 Dejan Antic

Reserves
Blair Mandla 0-1 Raul Samar
Gareth Charles 1-0 Adrian Rose
Nick Chernih 1/2 Andrew Bird
Arthur Huynh 0-1 Vasil Tulevski

bergil
14-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Results from last night.

Wednesday August 13th at Sydney Academy of Chess
Round 2
Igor Bjelobrk 1/2 Vladimir Smirnov
Tomek Rej 0-1 Greg Canfell
Jesse Sales 1-0 Brett Tindall
Denis Bucher 1/2 Tibor Karolyi

Round 2
Raul Samar 0-1 Vince Suttor

bergil
15-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Round 2
Dejan Antic 0-1 George Xie

Reserves
Round 2
Jason Hu 1-0 Arthur Huynh
Vasil Tulevski 0-1 Nick Chernih
Andrew Bird - Gareth Charles Postponed
Adrian Rose 0-1 Blair Mandla

bergil
15-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Wednesday August 20th at Sydney Academy of Chess
Round 3
Igor Bjelobrk - Greg Canfell
Jesse Sales - Tomek Rej

Thursday August 21st at Parramatta RSL
Denis Bucher - Dejan Antic
George Xie - Tibor Karolyi

bergil
15-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Round 3
Arthur Huynh - Vince Suttor

Adrian Rose - Raul Samar
Blair Mandla - Andrew Bird
Gareth Charles - Vasil Tulevski
Nick Chernih - Jason Hu

bergil
23-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Round 3
Igor Bjelobrk 1/2 Greg Canfell
Jesse Sales 1/2 Tomek Rej

Denis Bucher 1F-0 Dejan Antic
George Xie 1-0 Tibor Karolyi

Leonid Sandler
23-08-2008, 07:00 PM
What is happened with Dejan Antic?

Zwischenzug
23-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Grandmaster Dejan Antic has decided to go back to Serbia on 28/08/2008 (for Family reason) and wait there on his permanent Visa application results.
He will be not able to compete in Surfers Paradise Open 2008.
http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=205911&postcount=157

bergil
24-08-2008, 02:13 PM
What is happened with Dejan Antic?He had an appointment with Immigration department and couldn't play the match. He tried to contact me but I was sick and didn't get his messages which I explained to his opponent and asked if he could make up the game before Dejan leaves (which gave very little real opportunities for this to happen as he leaves this Wednesday the 27th) but unfortunately he could not.

Igor_Goldenberg
26-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Does Dejan withdraw kills the IM norm chances?

bergil
27-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Does Dejan withdraw kills the IM norm chances?Dejan has not withdrawn and has played all but that 1 game with Denis. It is hoped that if he comes back in time that game may be played.

Dejan results
Vladimir Smirnov 1/2 Dejan Antic
Dejan Antic 0-1 George Xie
Tibor Karolyi 1-0 Dejan Antic
Dejan Antic 1-0 Brett Tindall
Greg Canfell 1/2 Dejan Antic
Dejan Antic 1-0 Jesse Sales
Igor Bjelobrk 0-1 Dejan Antic
Dejan Antic 1-0 Tomek Rej

bergil
27-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Round 4 of the Championship
Wednesday August 27th at Sydney Academy of Chess
Round 4
Brett Tindall - Denis Bucher
Vladimir Smirnov - Jesse Sales
Tomek Rej - Igor Bjelobrk

Thursday August 28th at Parramatta RSL
Round 4
Greg Canfell - George Xie

bergil
27-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Round 4 of the Reserves
Round 4
Vince Suttor - Nick Chernih
Raul Samar - Arthur Huynh

Round 4
Jason Hu - Gareth Charles
Vasil Tulevski - Blair Mandla
Andrew Bird - Adrian Rose

Brian_Jones
27-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Crosstables?

bergil
28-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Results
Round 4
Brett Tindall 0-1 Denis Bucher
Vladimir Smirnov 1/2 Jesse Sales
Tomek Rej 1/2 Igor Bjelobrk

Vlad
28-08-2008, 02:44 PM
[Event "NSW Championship"]

[White "Smirnov, Vladimir"]
[Black "Sales, Jesse"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "D07"]

1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Bg4 3. c4 Bxf3 4. gxf3 Nc6 5. cxd5 Qxd5 6. e3 e5 7. Nc3 Bb4 8. Bd2 Bxc3 9. bxc3 Nf6 10. c4 Qd6 11. d5 Ne7 12. Qa4+ Qd7 13. Qxd7+ Nxd7 14. Rb1 b6 15. Bb4 Nc8 16. Bd3 Nd6 17. Ke2 Ke7 18. Rhc1 Nc5 19. Bxc5 bxc5 20. Rb3 Rab8 21. Ra3 Rb2+ 22. Rc2 Rxc2+ 23. Bxc2 Nxc4 24. Rxa7 Kd6 25. Ra6+ Nb6 26. Bb3 Rb8 27. e4 Kd7 28. Bc2 h5 29. Kd3 Rh8 30. a4 Kc8 31. Ra5 c4+ 32. Kc3 Rh6 33. Rb5 Rf6 34. Bd1 h4 35. a5 Nd7 36. Kxc4 Rg6 37. Rb2 Nb8 38. Ba4 Rg1 39. Be8 f6 40. Bh5 Rc1+ 41. Kb5 Kb7 42. Bg4 Na6 43. Bc8+ Kxc8 44. Kxa6 Rc3 45. Ka7 Rxf3 46. a6 g5 47. Rc2 Kd7 48. Kb7 Rb3+ 49. Ka8 Rf3 50. a7 Rd3 51. Rb2 Kc8 52. Rb8+ Kd7 53. Rf8 Rf3 54. Rf7+ Kc8 55. Rf8+ Kd7 56. d6 Rxf2 57. Rf7+ Kxd6 58. Kb7 Rb2+ 59. Kc8 Ra2 60. Rd7+ Ke6 61. Rxc7 g4 62. Rc6+ Kf7 63. Kb7 g3 64. hxg3 hxg3 65. a8=Q Rxa8 66. Kxa8 Kg6 67. Rc3 Kg5 68. Rxg3+ Kf4 69. Rg6 Kxe4 70. Rxf6 Kd4 71. Rd6+ Kc3 72. Re6 Kd4 73. Rxe5 Kxe5 1/2-1/2

When I played 56. d6 ... I was pretty sure that I was winning; but could not somehow...

Both Rybka and Fritz 9 give about 2-2.5 for this move. They also follow my play for a while, but nowhere I could find anything other than a draw. What a shame, these programs play as badly as I am. :wall: Maybe installing tablebases can make a difference for this ending.

bergil
01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Round 4
Greg Canfell 1-0 George Xie

Reserves
Round 4
Jason Hu 1/2 Gareth Charles
Vasil Tulevski 0-1 Blair Mandla
Andrew Bird 0-1 Adrian Rose
Raul Samar 1-0 Arthur Huynh
Vince Suttor - Nick Chernih - Postponed

bergil
01-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Wednesday September 3rd at Sydney Academy of Chess
Round 5
Tibor Karolyi - Jesse Sales
Brett Tindall - Igor Bjelobrk
Vladimir Smirnov - Tomek Rej
Gareth Charles - Vince Suttor

Thursday September 4th at Parramatta RSL
Round 5
George Xie - Denis Bucher
Andrew Bird - Raul Samar
Adrian Rose - Vasil Tulevski
Blair Mandla - Jason Hu
Nick Chernih - Arthur Huynh

bergil
04-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Wednesday September 3rd at Sydney Academy of Chess
Round 5
Tibor Karolyi - Jesse Sales - Postponed
Brett Tindall 0-1 Igor Bjelobrk
Vladimir Smirnov 1/2 Tomek Rej
Gareth Charles 1/2 Vince Suttor

Igor_Goldenberg
04-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Is there a crosstable for championship anywhere?

eclectic
04-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Is there a crosstable for championship anywhere?

perhaps one of those google spreadsheets could be constructed similar to the ones used for the recent tal memorial and blitz

just a thought

:hmm:

Bill Gletsos
04-09-2008, 07:34 PM
[Event "Integra NSW Championships 2008"]
[White "Antic, Dejan"]
[Black "Xie, George"]
[Result "0-1"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. Nf3 e6 3. c4 b6 4. g3 Ba6 5. b3 Bb4+ 6. Bd2 Be7 7. Bg2 c6 8. O-O d5 9. Qc2 O-O 10. Rd1 Nbd7 11. Bf4 Rc8 12. Nc3 Qe8 13. e4 dxc4 14. Nd2 e5 15. dxe5 Ng4 16. Nxc4 Bxc4 17. bxc4 Bc5 18. Rd2 Ngxe5 19. Na4 Bb4 20. Rdd1 Qe6 21. Qb3 Be7 22. Rac1 Rcd8 23. Be3 Nf6 24. c5 b5 25. Nb2 Nfg4 26. Qxe6 fxe6 27. Bd4 Rxd4 28. Rxd4 Rxf2 29. Nd3 Rxa2 30. h3 Nxd3 31. Rxd3 Ne5 32. Rdd1 a5 33. h4 g5 34. Rd6 Bxd6 35. cxd6 Rd2 36. Rc5 Rd1+ 37. Kh2 Ng4+ 38. Kh3 Nf2+ 39. Kh2 Rxd6 40. Rxg5+ Kf8 41. Kg1 Rd2 42. Rc5 a4 43. Rxc6 Ng4 44. Bh3 h5 45. Bxg4 hxg4 46. Ra6 b4 0-1

bergil
05-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Thursday September 4th at Parramatta RSL
Round 5
George Xie 1-0 Denis Bucher
Adrian Rose 1-0 Vasil Tulevski
Blair Mandla 0-1 Jason Hu
Nick Chernih 1-0 Arthur Huynh
Andrew Bird - Raul Samar - Postponed

Bill Gletsos
05-09-2008, 08:23 PM
No Name Feder Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1. Sales, Jesse Noel OS 3 2:W 5:W 3:D 4:D 6: 7: 8:L 9: 10:
2. Bjelobrk, Igor NSW 2.5 1:L 4:D 10:D 3:D 5:W 6: 7: 8:L 9:
3. Rej, Tomek NSW 2.5 9:W 10:L 1:D 2:D 4:D 5: 6: 7: 8:L
4. Smirnov, Vladimir NSW 2 8:D 2:D 9: 1:D 3:D 10: 5: 6: 7:
5. Tindall, Brett NSW 0 7:L 1:L 8:L 9:L 2:L 3: 4: 10: 6:
6. Karolyi, Tibor OS 2 10:D 9:D 7:L 8:W 1: 2: 3: 4: 5:
7. Xie, George NSW 4 5:W 8:W 6:W 10:L 9:W 1: 2: 3: 4:
8. Antic, Dejan OS 5 4:D 7:L 5:W 6:L 10:D 9:- 1:W 2:W 3:W
9. Bucher, Denis OS 2.5 3:L 6:D 4: 5:W 7:L 8:+ 10: 1: 2:
10. Canfell, Gregory J NSW 3.5 6:D 3:W 2:D 7:W 8:D 4: 9: 5: 1:

Bill Gletsos
05-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Reserves
No Name Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1. Mandla, Blair 2 10:L 2:W 3: 4:W 5:L 6: 7: 8: 9:
2. Rose, Adrian P 2 9:L 1:L 10:L 3:W 4:W 5: 6: 7: 8:
3. Bird, Andrew .5 8:D 9: 1: 2:L 10: 4: 5: 6: 7:
4. Tulevski, Vasil G 1 7:W 8:L 9:L 1:L 2:L 3: 10: 5: 6:
5. Hu, Jason 3 6:L 7:W 8:D 9:D 1:W 2: 3: 4: 10:
6. Suttor, Vincent 3 5:W 10:W 7:D 8: 9:D 1: 2: 3: 4:
7. Huynh, Arthur .5 4:L 5:L 6:D 10:L 8:L 9: 1: 2: 3:
8. Chernih, Nicholas 3 3:D 4:W 5:D 6: 7:W 10: 9: 1: 2:
9. Charles, Gareth 3 2:W 3: 4:W 5:D 6:D 7: 8: 10: 1:
10. Samar, Raul 3 1:W 6:L 2:W 7:W 3: 8: 4: 9: 5:

Vlad
06-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Post 62:
Round 1
Vincent Suttor 1-0 Jason Hu

Bill Gletsos
06-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Post 62:
Round 1
Vincent Suttor 1-0 Jason HuFixed.

Bill Gletsos
09-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Canfell,Gregory - Xie,George

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 e6 3.g3 d5 4.exd5 exd5 5.Bg2 Nf6 6.d3 d4 7.Ne4 Nxe4 8.Bxe4 Nd7 9.Qe2 Be7 10.Bg5 Qa5+ 11.Kf1 f6 12.Re1 Ne5 13.Bf4 Qxa2 14.Bxe5 fxe5 15.Qh5+ Qf7 16.Qxe5 Qf6 17.Qxf6 gxf6 18.Kg2 Kd8 19.Nf3 a5 20.Re2 a4 21.Rhe1 Bd6 22.Nd2 Ra6 23.Bd5 b5 24.Ne4 Bf8 25.Rc1 h6 26.f3 Rh7 27.Rce1 Re7 28.h3 Re5 29.Ba2 h5 30.Bf7 h4 31.gxh4 Bh6 32.Nf2 Rxe2 33.Rxe2 f5 34.Re5 Rf6 35.Ba2 Rg6+ 36.Kf1 Be3 37.Rxc5 Bd7 38.h5 Rg3 39.Bd5 Ke7 40.Ba8 b4 41.Ra5 Rg8 42.Bd5 Rc8 43.Bc4 Kf6 44.Ra7 Bc6 45.Ra6 Ke5 46.Ra5+ Kf4 47.Be6 Re8 48.Rxf5+ Kg3 49.Bf7 Rf8 50.Ne4+ Kh4 51.h6 Bxe4 52.fxe4 Bxh6 53.e5 a3 54.bxa3 bxa3 55.e6 Bd2 56.Kg2 Rh8 57.e7 Bg5 58.e8=Q 1-0

Basil
09-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Wot a cracka! Lock it in!

Kevin Bonham
09-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Wot a cracka! Lock it in!

Yeah, I enjoyed attempting to make sense of that too. :lol:

arosar
10-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I have a special request.

I want to see ALL the games from this tournament.

AR

black
11-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Seeing all games would be great.

bergil
12-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Round 6 results

Vladimir Smirnov 1-0 Greg Canfell
Jesse Sales 1-0 George Xie
Tomek Rej - Brett Tindall - Postponed
Igor Bjelobrk - Tibor Karolyi - Postponed

Raul Samar 1-0 Nick Chernih
Arthur Huynh 1-0 Gareth Charles
Vince Suttor 1/2 Blair Mandla
Jason Hu 1-0 Adrian Rose
Vasil Tulevski 0-1 Andrew Bird

Rhubarb
13-09-2008, 12:40 AM
NSW Championship 2008 (6)
Smirnov, Vladimir - Canfell, Gregory J.

1.d4 d6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 Nf6 5.f3 0-0 6.Be3 c5 7.dxc5 dxc5 8.Qxd8 Rxd8 9.Bxc5 Nc6 10.Nd5! Nxd5? 11.cxd5 Bxb2 12.Rb1 Bc3+ 13.Kf2 Bd4+ 14.Bxd4 Nxd4 15.Ne2 Nxe2 16.Bxe2 e6 17.Bc4 b6 18.Rhd1 exd5?? 19.Bxd5 Be6 20.Bxa8 Rxa8 21.a3 1-0

Samson
13-09-2008, 12:39 PM
That looks like the result of missing a night's sleep.

Bill Gletsos
21-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Championship

1. Sales, Jesse Noel OS 4.5 2:W 5:W 3:D 4:D 6:D 7:W 8:L 9: 10:
2. Bjelobrk, Igor NSW 3 1:L 4:D 10:D 3:D 5:W 6:D 7:L 8:L 9:
3. Rej, Tomek NSW 3.5 9:W 10:L 1:D 2:D 4:D 5:W 6: 7: 8:L
4. Smirnov, Vladimir NSW 3 8:D 2:D 9: 1:D 3:D 10:W 5: 6: 7:
5. Tindall, Brett NSW 0 7:L 1:L 8:L 9:L 2:L 3:L 4: 10: 6:
6. Karolyi, Tibor OS 3 10:D 9:D 7:L 8:W 1:D 2:D 3: 4: 5:
7. Xie, George NSW 5 5:W 8:W 6:W 10:L 9:W 1:L 2:W 3: 4:
9. Bucher, Denis OS 2.5 3:L 6:D 4: 5:W 7:L 8:+ 10: 1: 2:
10. Canfell, Gregory J NSW 3.5 6:D 3:W 2:D 7:W 8:D 4:L 9: 5: 1:

Bill Gletsos
21-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Reserves

No Name Total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1. Mandla, Blair 3.5 10:L 2:W 3: 4:W 5:L 6:D 7:W 8: 9:
2. Rose, Adrian P 2 9:L 1:L 10:L 3:W 4:W 5:L 6: 7: 8:
3. Bird, Andrew 2 8:D 9:D 1: 2:L 10: 4:W 5: 6: 7:
4. Tulevski, Vasil G 1 7:W 8:L 9:L 1:L 2:L 3:L 10: 5: 6:
5. Hu, Jason 4 6:L 7:W 8:D 9:D 1:W 2:W 3: 4: 10:
6. Suttor, Vincent 4.5 5:W 10:W 7:D 8:W 9:D 1:D 2: 3: 4:
7. Huynh, Arthur 1.5 4:L 5:L 6:D 10:L 8:L 9:W 1:L 2: 3:
8. Chernih, Nicholas 4 3:D 4:W 5:D 6:L 7:W 10:L 9:W 1: 2:
9. Charles, Gareth 3.5 2:W 3:D 4:W 5:D 6:D 7:L 8:L 10: 1:
10. Samar, Raul 4 1:W 6:L 2:W 7:W 3: 8:W 4: 9: 5:

Garvinator
21-09-2008, 04:53 PM
In score order would be good ;)

bergil
25-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Results from Sydney Academy of Chess last night
Brett Tindall 0-1 Greg Canfell
Jesse Sales 1/2 Denis Bucher
Vince Suttor 1/2 Andrew Bird

Jesse needs to win his last game against Greg to gain an IM norm.
Greg needs 1 against Denis (tonight) Jesse next week for an IM norm
Vlad needs 3 points out his remaining 4 games (Brett, George, Tibor and Denis)

Good luck all :clap:

bergil
26-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Results from Parramatta RSL last night
Greg Canfell 1-0 Denis Bucher
Tomek Rej 1/2 George Xie

Raul Samar 1/2 Gareth Charles
Nick Chernih 0-1 Blair Mandla
Jason Hu 1-0 Vasil Tulevski

Jesse needs to win his last game against Greg to gain an IM norm.
Greg needs against Jesse next week for an IM norm
Vlad needs 3 points out his remaining 4 games (Brett, George, Tibor and Denis)

Good luck all

Championship Standings
George Xie 5/8
Greg Canfell 5/8
Jesse Sales 5/8
Dejan Antic 5/8
Tomek Rej 4/8
Vladimir Smirnov 3/5
Tibor Karolyi 3/6
Igor Bjelobrk 3/8
Denis Bucher 2/6
Brett Tindall 0/7

Rhubarb
02-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Jesse Sales - Greg Canfell
NSW Championship 2008 (9)

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.d4 0-0 6.Be2 e5 7.0-0 c6 8.Re1 Ng4 9.d5 f5 10.c5 dxc5 11.h3 Nxf2 12.Kxf2 fxe4 13.Nxe4 Qh4+ 14.Kg1 Qxe4 15.dxc6 Nxc6 16.Qb3+ Kh8 17.Ng5 Qb4 18.Qg3 Nd4 19.Bd3 Bf5 20.Be4 h6 21.Nf3 Nxf3+ 22.Bxf3 e4 23.Be2 Rae8 24.Kh1 g5 25.Bh5 Be5 26.Qe3 Rd8 27.Rf1 Qc4 28.Bd2 Qd4 29.Rad1 Qxe3 30.Bxe3 Bd4 31.g4 Be6 32.Rxf8+ Rxf8 33.Bxd4+ cxd4 34.Rxd4 Bxa2 35.Kg1 e3 36.Re4 Rf3 37.Re8+ Kg7 38.Re7+ Kf6 39.Re8 Bd5 40.h4 Rg3+ 41.Kh2 gxh4 42.b4 a6 43.Rf8+ Ke5 44.Re8+ Kd4 45.Re7 Rf3 46.Bg6 Rf1 0-1

I would like to commiserate Jesse and mention how classy and good-natured he was afterwards, as he must have been disappointed.

brett
02-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Well done greg!

Igor_Goldenberg
02-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Looks like Greg has a norm!

Sutek
02-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Jesse Sales - Greg Canfell
NSW Championship 2008 (9)

1.Nf3 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.d4 0-0 6.Be2 e5 7.0-0 c6 8.Re1 Ng4 9.d5 f5 10.c5 dxc5 11.h3 Nxf2 12.Kxf2 fxe4 13.Nxe4 Qh4+ 14.Kg1 Qxe4 15.dxc6 Nxc6 16.Qb3+ Kh8 17.Ng5 Qb4 18.Qg3 Nd4 19.Bd3 Bf5 20.Be4 h6 21.Nf3 Nxf3+ 22.Bxf3 e4 23.Be2 Rae8 24.Kh1 g5 25.Bh5 Be5 26.Qe3 Rd8 27.Rf1 Qc4 28.Bd2 Qd4 29.Rad1 Qxe3 30.Bxe3 Bd4 31.g4 Be6 32.Rxf8+ Rxf8 33.Bxd4+ cxd4 34.Rxd4 Bxa2 35.Kg1 e3 36.Re4 Rf3 37.Re8+ Kg7 38.Re7+ Kf6 39.Re8 Bd5 40.h4 Rg3+ 41.Kh2 gxh4 42.b4 a6 43.Rf8+ Ke5 44.Re8+ Kd4 45.Re7 Rf3 46.Bg6 Rf1 0-1

I would like to commiserate Jesse and mention how classy and good-natured he was afterwards, as he must have been disappointed.

Well done!
Rykba 3 found 27...Bg4!!

Watto
02-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Congratulations Greg!

Basil
02-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Or is he just pleased to see us? OK scrub that. If true, congrats Greg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/scene66/smilies/woohoodance.gif

bergil
02-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Results from Sydney Academy of Chess last night

Jesse Sales 0-1 Greg Canfell
Denis Bucher 1-0 Igor Bjelobrk
Tibor Karolyi 1/2 Brett Tindall
Andrew Bird 1-0 Raul Samar

From earlier in the week
Tibor Karolyi 1/2 Tomek Rej
Blair Mandla 1-0 Andrew Bird

Congratulations Greg on achieving your 3rd IM norm outstanding performance well played. :clap:

Tonight at Parramatta George Xie plays Vladimir Smirnov
George needs to win to be tied for the Championship
Vlad needs something out the game to remain in contention for the title and 3 points out his remaining 4 games for a norm (Brett, George, Tibor and Denis)

Championship Standings
Greg Canfell 6/9
George Xie 5/8
Dejan Antic 5/8
Jesse Sales 5/9
Tomek Rej 4/9
Tibor Karolyi 4/8
Vladimir Smirnov 3/5
Denis Bucher 3/7
Igor Bjelobrk 3/9
Brett Tindall /8

Reserves Standings
Blair Mandla 5/8
Vincent Suttor 5/7
Jason Hu 5/8
Raul Samar 4/7
Andrew Bird 4/8
Gareth Charles 4/8
Nick Chernih 4/8
Adrian Rose 2/6
Arthur Huynh 1/7
Vasil Tulevski 1/7

Bill Gletsos
02-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Yes, well done Greg.

Watto
02-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Congratulations Greg on achieving your 3rd IM norm outstanding performance well played. :clap:

Wow. I thought it was Greg's third norm ... that's wonderful! :)

Ivanchuk_Fan
02-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Congratulations Greg on your 3rd IM norm and an excellent tournament! :clap: :clap:

If George or Vlad catches up with Greg in points, will there be a playoff?

Garrett
02-10-2008, 05:51 PM
oh my goodness, well done mate !

bergil
02-10-2008, 06:12 PM
If George or Vlad catches up with Greg in points, will there be a playoff?Yes

Rincewind
02-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Greg, please excuse this blatant "me too" post but congrats and well done. :clap:

Kevin Bonham
02-10-2008, 10:25 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

bergil
03-10-2008, 12:32 AM

George Xie 1/2 Vladimir Smirnov
Jason Hu 1-0 Raul Samar
Andrew Bird 0-1 Arthur Huynh
Adrian Rose 0-1 Nick Chernih
Vasil Tulevski 1/2 Vince Suttor
Blair Mandla 1/2 Gareth Charles

From earlier in the week
Vasil Tulevski 0-1 Raul Samar

Vlad needs 3 win to tie for the Championship and 2 points out his remaining 3 games for a norm (Brett, Tibor and Denis)

Championship Standings
Greg Canfell 6/9
George Xie 6/9
Dejan Antic 5/8
Jesse Sales 5/9
Tomek Rej 4/9
Tibor Karolyi 4/8
Vladimir Smirnov 3/6
Denis Bucher 3/7
Igor Bjelobrk 3/9
Brett Tindall /8

Reserves Standings
Blair Mandla 6/9
Jason Hu 6/9
Vincent Suttor 5/8
Raul Samar 5/9
Nick Chernih 5/9
Andrew Bird 4/9
Gareth Charles 4/9
Arthur Huynh 2/8
Adrian Rose 2/7
Vasil Tulevski 1/9

Rhubarb
06-10-2008, 02:58 AM
Thanks to everyone above for their kind words, ranging from the funny (GD) to the cryptic (KB - something to do with state championship history?)

I'm pretty freaking happy, I can tell you!

Kevin Bonham
06-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks to everyone above for their kind words, ranging from the funny (GD) to the cryptic (KB - something to do with state championship history?)

Nah, nothing cryptic, I was simply applauding your success by going ape on the clappy smiley as I am sometimes prone to do.

bergil
10-10-2008, 08:49 AM

Denis Bucher 0-1 Vladimir Smirnov
Adrian Rose 0-1 Vince Suttor

Congratulations to Vincent Suttor winner of the Reserves Championship. :clap:

Vlad needs 2 wins to tie for the Championship and 1 points out his remaining 2 games for a norm (Brett,& Tibor)

Championship Standings
Greg Canfell 6/9
George Xie 6/9
Dejan Antic 5/9
Jesse Sales 5/9
Vladimir Smirnov 4/7
Tomek Rej 4/9
Tibor Karolyi 4/8
Denis Bucher 4/9
Igor Bjelobrk 3/9
Brett Tindall /8

Reserves Standings
Vincent Suttor 6/9
Blair Mandla 6/9
Jason Hu 6/9
Raul Samar 5/9
Nick Chernih 5/9
Andrew Bird 4/9
Gareth Charles 4/9
Arthur Huynh 2/8
Adrian Rose 2/8
Vasil Tulevski 1/9

Adamski
10-10-2008, 10:43 AM

Denis Bucher 0-1 Vladimir Smirnov
Adrian Rose 0-1 Vince Suttor

Congratulations to Vincent Suttor winner of the Reserves Championship. :clap:

Vlad needs 2 wins to tie for the Championship and 1 points out his remaining 2 games for a norm (Brett,& Tibor)

Championship Standings
Greg Canfell 6/9
George Xie 6/9
Dejan Antic 5/8
Jesse Sales 5/9
Vladimir Smirnov 4/7
Tomek Rej 4/9
Tibor Karolyi 4/8
Denis Bucher 4/0
Igor Bjelobrk 3/9
Brett Tindall /8

Reserves Standings
Vincent Suttor 6/9
Blair Mandla 6/9
Jason Hu 6/9
Raul Samar 5/9
Nick Chernih 5/9
Andrew Bird 4/9
Gareth Charles 4/9
Arthur Huynh 2/8
Adrian Rose 2/8
Vasil Tulevski 1/9 Congrats to Greg C and best of luck to drug for his remaining games. Both very nice fellows!

bergil
12-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Results from Sydney Academy of Chess today

Vladimir Smirnov 1/2 Tibor Karoly

Congratulations to Greg Canfell for retaining his NSW Championship title and racking up his 7th overall :clap:

Vlad needs to win his last game against Brett this Thursday for his first IM norm.

Championship Standings
Greg Canfell 6/9
George Xie 6/9
Dejan Antic 5/9
Jesse Sales 5/9
Vladimir Smirnov 5/8
Tomek Rej 4/9
Tibor Karolyi 4/9
Denis Bucher 4/9
Igor Bjelobrk 3/9
Brett Tindall /8

Reserves Standings
Vincent Suttor 6/9
Blair Mandla 6/9
Jason Hu 6/9
Raul Samar 5/9
Nick Chernih 5/9
Andrew Bird 4/9
Gareth Charles 4/9
Arthur Huynh 2/8
Adrian Rose 2/8
Vasil Tulevski 1/9

bergil
17-10-2008, 03:45 AM
Results from last night

Brett Tindall 1/2 Vladimir Smirnov

Arthur Huybh 1-0 Adrian Rose

Championship Standings
Greg Canfell 6/9
George Xie 6/9
Vladimir Smirnov 5/9
Dejan Antic 5/9
Jesse Sales 5/9
Tomek Rej 4/9
Tibor Karolyi 4/9
Denis Bucher 4/9
Igor Bjelobrk 3/9
Brett Tindall 1/9

Reserves Standings
Vincent Suttor 6/9
Blair Mandla 6/9
Jason Hu 6/9
Raul Samar 5/9
Nick Chernih 5/9
Andrew Bird 4/9
Gareth Charles 4/9
Arthur Huynh 3/9
Adrian Rose 2/9
Vasil Tulevski 1/9

Trent Parker
17-10-2008, 09:21 AM
lol drug must be on drugs......

lemonruski
17-10-2008, 07:02 PM
lol drug must be on drugs......
I can only assume you are trying to make some kind of negative comment about his opponent's chess skill. Trent, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I love it how (some) people on chess chat think they are awesome when they hide behind their little handle, and then when they see the people they make comments about in the REAL WORLD they are too scared to even make eye contact. Maybe these people should make a policy of only typing things that they'd be "brave" enough to say in real life.

P.S. CC Grandmaster is not a real chess title.

P.P.S. See you at the next NSWCA Council meeting - will you see me, or just your shoes?

Adamski
17-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Drug told me that drug was a Russian word - nothing to do with English drugs and not even pronounced the same. Bad luck drug on just missing that IM norm.

Garvinator
17-10-2008, 08:51 PM
I think it means friend in russian, or something similar.

Trent Parker
20-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Hello Lemonruski.

I was only having a joke. BTW

I dont hide behind my handle everyone here knows who I am. And I am more than willing to let people know who I am

I did not mean this statement to be derogatory towards Brett. And I am more than willing to let people know who I am. Hell who am i to comment seriously on chess strength? Brett and yourself would thrash me more often than not.

I will see you at the next meeting Laura!

EDIT: What the original post meant was if I was drug and I had the opportunity for an IM norm I wouldn't be accepting draws, I'd be going all or nothing to get to it. But thats just my mentality which could be wrong.

Regards

Trent parker

Igor_Goldenberg
20-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I'd like to publicly congratulate Greg on an outstanding result. That was the strongest state championship I know of (and stronger than any VIC championship I ever played).

peter_parr
20-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Weekly reports appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald

News (http://www.chessdiscountsales.com/news/newsindex.htm)

The strongest ever NSW State Championship in its 107 year history has been won by Greg Canfell with a performance rating above 2500. Final scores(10 players,2342 av rating,9 rounds) FM G.Canfell(AUS 2286) 6.5,IM G.Xie(AUS 2403) 6,FM V.Smirnov(RUS 2338) 5.5,GM D.Antic(SRB 2482),FM J.Sales(PHI 2330) 5,IM T.Karolyi(HUN 2362),T.Rej(AUS 2327) 4.5,FM D.Bucher(SUI 2305) 4,FM I.Bjelobrk (AUS 2348) 3,FM B.Tindall(AUS 2239) 1. V.Suttor 2172 won the supporting event with 6.5/9,followed by B.Mandla (1984),J.Hu (2204) 6,R.Samar (2216) 5.5.

S.Crakanthorp won the NSW title 6 times,G.Koshnitsky 6 times and shared once, C.Purdy(1st World Correspondence Champion) 7 times and L.Steiner(Hungarian no 1 and Olympic medallist) 9 times. Canfell's four great predecessors were all multiple Australian Champions in the period 1926-1959. Canfell of Sydney was taught chess by his father Mike Canfell (the current Australian Seniors co-champion) in Armidale. Canfell has now won the NSW title 7 times and is chasing Steiner's record.

black
20-10-2008, 11:31 AM
I'd like to publicly congratulate Greg on an outstanding result. That was the strongest state championship I know of (and stronger than any VIC championship I ever played).

Yes, a nice collection of players. I hope this can be arranged again.

Congratulations Greg.

Kevin Bonham
20-10-2008, 04:32 PM
EDIT: What the original post meant was if I was drug and I had the opportunity for an IM norm I wouldn't be accepting draws, I'd be going all or nothing to get to it.

Sometimes even when one goes "all or nothing" one still ends up in a dead drawn position and taking a draw is better than giving the opponent a win on a platter. Hard (for me) to comment without seeing the game.

bergil
20-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Judge for yourselves

[Event "NSW Championship"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2008.10.17"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Tindall, Brett"]
[Black "Smirnov, Vladimir"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "B30"]
[PlyCount "102"]
[EventDate "2008.08.14"]
[SourceDate "2008.10.17"]
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 e5 4. Bc4 d6 5. d3 Be7 6. Ng5 Bxg5 7. Qh5 g6 8. Qxg5 Qxg5 9. Bxg5 h6 10. Be3 Be6 11. Nd5 Bxd5 12. Bxd5 Nge7 13. Bc4 f5 14. f4 Kd7 15. g3 Raf8 16. c3 g5 17. Rf1 exf4 18. gxf4 gxf4 19. Rxf4 fxe4 20. Rxf8 Rxf8 21. dxe4 Ne5 22. Bxh6 Rh8 23. Bb5+ Ke6 24. Bf4 Rh4 25. Bxe5 Kxe5 26. O-O-O Rxh2 27. Rg1 a6 28. Bd3 Rh6 29. Bc4 Rg6 30. Rf1 Rg7 31. Bd3 Ke6 32. Bc4+ Kd7 33. a4 Rg4 34. Bd5 b5 35. axb5 axb5 36. Rf7 Ke8 37. Rf6 Nxd5 38. exd5 Ke7 39. Re6+ Kd7 40. Re1 Rg5 41. Rd1 c4 42. b3 Rg3 43. Kb2 cxb3 44. Rh1 Kc7 45. Rh6 Rg5 46. Kxb3 Rxd5 47. c4 Rd3+ 48. Kb4 bxc4 49. Kxc4 Rd1 50. Rg6 Kc6 51. Rh6 Rg1 Another 100+ moves were played but it did not change anything... 1/2-1/2

Adamski
20-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Either, drug thought he could win in the ending or he wasn't too worried about the IM norm?

brett
22-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Below is the complete game

Tindall,B - Smirnov,V [B30]

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 e5 4.Bc4 d6 5.d3 Be7 6.Ng5 Bxg5 7.Qh5 g6 8.Qxg5 Qxg5 9.Bxg5 h6 10.Be3 Be6 11.Nd5 Bxd5 12.Bxd5 Nge7 13.Bc4 f5 14.f4 Kd7 15.g3 Raf8 16.c3 g5 17.Rf1 exf4 18.gxf4 gxf4 19.Rxf4 fxe4 20.Rxf8 Rxf8 21.dxe4 Ne5 22.Bxh6 Rh8 23.Bb5+ Ke6 24.Bf4 Rh4 25.Bxe5 Kxe5 26.0-0-0 Rxh2 27.Rg1 a6 28.Bd3 Rh6 29.Bc4 Rg6 30.Rf1 Rg7 31.Bd3 Ke6 32.Bc4+ Kd7 33.a4 Rg4 34.Bd5 b5 35.axb5 axb5 36.Rf7 Ke8 37.Rf6 Nxd5 38.exd5 Ke7 39.Re6+ Kd7 40.Re1 Rg5 41.Rd1 c4 42.b3 Rg3 43.Kb2 cxb3 44.Rh1 Kc7 45.Rh6 Rd3 46.Kxb3 Rxd5 47.c4 Rd3+ 48.Kb4 bxc4 49.Kxc4 Rd1 50.Rg6 Kc6 51.Rh6 Rg1 52.Rf6 Rg4+ 53.Kd3 Kd5 54.Rf5+ Ke6 55.Rh5 Rg1 56.Rh6+ Kd5 57.Rh5+ Kc6 58.Kd2 d5 59.Rh4 Kc5 60.Rh3 Rg2+ 61.Kd1 Kc4 62.Rf3 Kd4 63.Rh3 Rg4 64.Ra3 Rg2 65.Rh3 Rf2 66.Rg3 Ke4 67.Ra3 Rh2 68.Rb3 d4 69.Ra3 Rh1+ 70.Kd2 Rh2+ 71.Kd1 Rh8 72.Rb3 Kf4 73.Ra3 Re8 74.Kd2 Rh8 75.Rb3 Rh2+ 76.Kd1 Ra2 77.Rh3 Ke4 78.Rb3 Ra7 79.Rh3 Rc7 80.Kd2 Rg7 81.Rh4+ Kd5 82.Rh5+ Kc4 83.Rh3 Ra7 84.Rg3 Ra2+ 85.Kd1 Rb2 86.Rh3 Rg2 87.Rf3 Kd5 88.Rh3 Rf2 89.Rg3 Ke4 90.Rh3 Rf6 91.Rg3 Ra6 92.Kd2 Ra2+ 93.Kd1 Rh2 94.Ra3 Kf4 95.Rb3 Rh8 96.Kd2 Re8 97.Ra3 Ke4 98.Rh3 Re5 99.Ra3 Rh5 100.Rb3 Kf4 101.Ra3 Rh2+ 102.Kd1 Rf2 103.Rb3 Rf1+ 104.Kd2 Rh1 105.Ra3 Rh2+ 106.Kd1 Rh5 107.Kd2 Rg5 108.Rb3 Ra5 109.Rh3 Ra2+ 110.Kd1 Ke4 111.Rb3 Ra8 112.Kd2 Re8 113.Ra3 Kf4 114.Rb3 Ra8 115.Rh3 Ke4 116.Rb3 Ra2+ 117.Kd1 Ra4 118.Rh3 Rc4 119.Kd2 Rb4 120.Rg3 Rb2+ 121.Kd1 Rh2 122.Ra3 Kf4 123.Rb3 Rh5 124.Kd2 Rh2+ 125.Kd1 Ke4 126.Ra3 Kd5 127.Rg3 Kc4 128.Rf3 Rh4 129.Ra3 Rg4 130.Kd2 Rg2+ 131.Kd1 Rg8 132.Rh3 Rg4 133.Ra3 Rh4 134.Kd2 Rg4 135.Kd1 Rh4 136.Kd2 Kb4 137.Rg3 Kc5 138.Ra3 Kc4 139.Kd1 Rh5 140.Kd2 Rh2+ 141.Kd1 Kd5 142.Rb3 Ke4 143.Ra3 Rh6 144.Kd2 Re6 145.Ra1 Rf6 146.Ra3 Kf4 147.Kd3 Rd6 148.Ra4 Ke5 149.Ra5+ Ke6 150.Rh5 Rd5 151.Rh6+ Ke5 152.Rh5+ Kd6 153.Rxd5+ Kxd5 154.Kd2 Kc4 155.Kc2 Kb5 156.Kd3 Kc5 157.Kd2 Kd6 158.Kd3 Kd5 159.Kd2 Kc4 160.Kc2 d3+ 161.Kd2 Kd4 162.Kd1 Ke3 163.Ke1 d2+ 164.Kd1 Kd3 -

Garvinator
22-10-2008, 11:29 AM

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 e5 4.Bc4 d6 5.d3 Be7 6.Ng5 Bxg5 7.Qh5 g6 8.Qxg5 Qxg5 9.Bxg5 h6 10.Be3 Be6 11.Nd5 Bxd5 12.Bxd5 Nge7 13.Bc4 f5 14.f4 Kd7 15.g3 Raf8 16.c3 g5 17.Rf1 exf4 18.gxf4 gxf4 19.Rxf4 fxe4 20.Rxf8 Rxf8 21.dxe4 Ne5 22.Bxh6 Rh8 23.Bb5+ Ke6 24.Bf4 Rh4 25.Bxe5 Kxe5 26.0-0-0 Rxh2 27.Rg1 a6 28.Bd3 Rh6 29.Bc4 Rg6 30.Rf1 Rg7 31.Bd3 Ke6 32.Bc4+ Kd7 33.a4 Rg4 34.Bd5 b5 35.axb5 axb5 36.Rf7 Ke8 37.Rf6 Nxd5 38.exd5 Ke7 39.Re6+ Kd7 40.Re1 Rg5 41.Rd1 c4 42.b3 Rg3 43.Kb2 cxb3 44.Rh1 Kc7 45.Rh6 Rd3 46.Kxb3 Rxd5 47.c4 Rd3+ 48.Kb4 bxc4 49.Kxc4 Rd1 50.Rg6 Kc6 51.Rh6 Rg1 52.Rf6 Rg4+ 53.Kd3 Kd5 54.Rf5+ Ke6 55.Rh5 Rg1 56.Rh6+ Kd5 57.Rh5+ Kc6 58.Kd2 d5 59.Rh4 Kc5 60.Rh3 Rg2+ 61.Kd1 Kc4 62.Rf3 Kd4 63.Rh3 Rg4 64.Ra3 Rg2 65.Rh3 Rf2 66.Rg3 Ke4 67.Ra3 Rh2 68.Rb3 d4 69.Ra3 Rh1+ 70.Kd2 Rh2+ 71.Kd1 Rh8 72.Rb3 Kf4 73.Ra3 Re8 74.Kd2 Rh8 75.Rb3 Rh2+ 76.Kd1 Ra2 77.Rh3 Ke4 78.Rb3 Ra7 79.Rh3 Rc7 80.Kd2 Rg7 81.Rh4+ Kd5 82.Rh5+ Kc4 83.Rh3 Ra7 84.Rg3 Ra2+ 85.Kd1 Rb2 86.Rh3 Rg2 87.Rf3 Kd5 88.Rh3 Rf2 89.Rg3 Ke4 90.Rh3 Rf6 91.Rg3 Ra6 92.Kd2 Ra2+ 93.Kd1 Rh2 94.Ra3 Kf4 95.Rb3 Rh8 96.Kd2 Re8 97.Ra3 Ke4 98.Rh3 Re5 99.Ra3 Rh5 100.Rb3 Kf4 101.Ra3 Rh2+ 102.Kd1 Rf2 103.Rb3 Rf1+ 104.Kd2 Rh1 105.Ra3 Rh2+ 106.Kd1 Rh5 107.Kd2 Rg5 108.Rb3 Ra5 109.Rh3 Ra2+ 110.Kd1 Ke4 111.Rb3 Ra8 112.Kd2 Re8 113.Ra3 Kf4 114.Rb3 Ra8 115.Rh3 Ke4 116.Rb3 Ra2+ 117.Kd1 Ra4 118.Rh3 Rc4 119.Kd2 Rb4 120.Rg3 Rb2+ 121.Kd1 Rh2 122.Ra3 Kf4 123.Rb3 Rh5 124.Kd2 Rh2+ 125.Kd1 Ke4 126.Ra3 Kd5 127.Rg3 Kc4 128.Rf3 Rh4 129.Ra3 Rg4 130.Kd2 Rg2+ 131.Kd1 Rg8 132.Rh3 Rg4 133.Ra3 Rh4 134.Kd2 Rg4 135.Kd1 Rh4 136.Kd2 Kb4 137.Rg3 Kc5 138.Ra3 Kc4 139.Kd1 Rh5 140.Kd2 Rh2+ 141.Kd1 Kd5 142.Rb3 Ke4 143.Ra3 Rh6 144.Kd2 Re6 145.Ra1 Rf6 146.Ra3 Kf4 147.Kd3 Rd6 148.Ra4 Ke5 149.Ra5+ Ke6 150.Rh5 Rd5 151.Rh6+ Ke5 152.Rh5+ Kd6 153.Rxd5+ Kxd5 154.Kd2 Kc4 155.Kc2 Kb5 156.Kd3 Kc5 157.Kd2 Kd6 158.Kd3 Kd5 159.Kd2 Kc4 160.Kc2 d3+ 161.Kd2 Kd4 162.Kd1 Ke3 163.Ke1 d2+ 164.Kd1 Kd3 -

Desmond
22-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Either, drug thought he could win in the ending or he wasn't too worried about the IM norm?At 30 seconds per player increments, I'd say he wasn't too worried about what he was going to be doing for the next couple of hours. Why drag out such a trivially drawn ending against a strong opponent?

Sutek
22-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Below is the complete game

A perfect example of the "Philidor position" also known as the "3rd rank defence".
Apparently Philidor worked all this out in 1777!

Igor_Goldenberg
22-10-2008, 01:15 PM
A perfect example of the "Philidor position" also known as the "3rd rank defence".
Apparently Philidor worked all this out in 1777!

In the recent world mind sports games my opponent (Viktor Erdos from Hungary, GM 2577) tried to play for win a very similar position. After I put my king on d8 and started playing Rg6-f6-g6, he displayed a bit of good manners and offered a draw.

Sutek
22-10-2008, 01:29 PM
In the recent world mind sports games my opponent (Viktor Erdos from Hungary, GM 2577) tried to play for win a very similar position. After I put my king on d8 and started playing Rg6-f6-g6, he displayed a bit of good manners and offered a draw.

I guess he figured that you knew how to draw alright.

Against rook or knight pawns it's even easier to draw.

You don't even need Philidor as you can draw by passive defence.
fex. king on the queening square, rook on the 1st rank and shuffle all day :)

Bill Gletsos
22-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Actually White could have claimed a draw under the 50 move rule after Blacks 118th move.

brett
22-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Actually White could have claimed a draw under the 50 move rule after Blacks 118th move.

Hi Bill,

Yes I could have claimed a draw. I am sure there was probably a three move repetition somewhere in there too! Unfortunately with not much time on the board I was just more concerned with making the moves.

Adamski
22-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Well done in holding drug, Bret. That was pretty early that the Q's came off! He'll be over with Anton at the U8 World Champs now. Good luck, Anton!

Bill Gletsos
29-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Championship

1. Sales, Jesse Noel OS 5 2:W 5:W 3:D 4:D 6:D 7:W 8:L 9:D 10:L
2. Bjelobrk, Igor NSW 3 1:L 4:D 10:D 3:D 5:W 6:D 7:L 8:L 9:L
3. Rej, Tomek NSW 4.5 9:W 10:L 1:D 2:D 4:D 5:W 6:D 7:D 8:L
4. Smirnov, Vladimir NSW 5.5 8:D 2:D 9:W 1:D 3:D 10:W 5:D 6:D 7:D
5. Tindall, Brett NSW 1 7:L 1:L 8:L 9:L 2:L 3:L 4:D 10:L 6:D
6. Karolyi, Tibor OS 4.5 10:D 9:D 7:L 8:W 1:D 2:D 3:D 4:D 5:D
7. Xie, George NSW 6 5:W 8:W 6:W 10:L 9:W 1:L 2:W 3:D 4:D