PDA

View Full Version : So you want to be an arbiter? Join us now!

ER
19-04-2008, 07:35 PM
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS ON THE SEMIRAR

In an e-mail that I received recently, Gary Bekker informs me that

" .... Charles Zworestine has indicated that he would be available to run the arbiter's workshop on either June 14 & 15, June 21 & 22 or July 12 & 13. Please let me know which of these suits you best...."

I will be discussing this matter with CV next Tuesday to decide the availability of venue.

Meanwhile, all interested please post here indicating your preferred dates!

Cheers and good luck!

I initially started a similar thread in another category, but I believe it belongs here, since it involves organising an umpires seminar sometime this year.
In that regard and if possible, could the moderators transfer all postings of that thread here?

eclectic
19-04-2008, 07:39 PM
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS ON THE SEMIRAR

In an e-mail that I received recently, Gary Bekker informs me that

" .... Charles Zworestine has indicated that he would be available to run the arbiter's workshop on either June 14 & 15, June 21 & 22 or July 12 & 13. Please let me know which of these suits you best...."

I will be discussing this matter with CV next Tuesday to decide the availability of venue.

Meanwhile, all interested please post here indicating your preferred dates!

Cheers and good luck!

I initially started a similar thread in another category, but I believe it belongs here, since it involves organising an umpires seminar sometime this year.
In that regard and if possible, could the moderators transfer all postings of that thread here?

if that could be dovetailed into a tafe certificate iv in workplace training and assessment then an arbiting career could well be your ... oyster :uhoh:

ER
19-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Good Point Eclecticus!
:clap: :D

Spiny Norman
21-04-2008, 10:39 AM
certificate iv in workplace training and assessment
I completed one of those a couple of years ago, which I think now makes me eligible to teach said course. Problem is, I've already forgotten most of what I learned.

Spiny Norman
21-04-2008, 10:40 AM
... either June 14 & 15, June 21 & 22 or July 12 & 13. Please let me know which of these suits you best ...
All of those are currently free for me, although my calendar is prone to changing fairly rapidly.

Intuition
21-04-2008, 12:05 PM
June 14-15 is best

eclectic
21-04-2008, 12:12 PM
we could pencil in february 30 and 31 next year?

:eek:

Adamski
21-04-2008, 01:07 PM
LATEST DEVELOPMENTS ON THE SEMINAR I initially started a similar thread in another category, but I believe it belongs here, since it involves organising an umpires seminar sometime this year.
In that regard and if possible, could the moderators transfer all postings of that thread here?As I have no doubt JAK knows, there is an important distinction between arbiting and umpiring. If you want to know more about it, and you live in Victoria, go to the Melbourne seminar. I attended one with Gary Bekker and Charles Z in Sydney a couple of years ago or more and it was extremely worthwhile, especially for anyone who runs chess club events.

Garvinator
21-04-2008, 01:17 PM
So, with Charles doing the seminar, where are all the protests of an interstater doing a Victorian Seminar like there was when I was appointed arbiter of the Elwood tournament :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

ER
21-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Thank you all for the response. Next move is to make sure about the venue! I will do that tomorrow night and let Gary know as soon as possible.
Cheers and good luck to all!

eclectic
21-04-2008, 01:44 PM
So, with Charles doing the seminar, where are all the protests of an interstater doing a Victorian Seminar like there was when I was appointed arbiter of the Elwood tournament :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

nobody told me about her ...

you zombie you :eek:

SHump
25-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Are there any arbiter courses being run anytime soon, preferably in Melb? Not that I am looking for a new day job, but it would be handy to assist my and other clubs if they need an arbiter.

On a similar but different question, I am assuming I can just start 'walking the walk' - that is being an arbiter for local events, without any need for a 'qualification', assuming anyone would want my services of course??

ER
25-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Hi SHump, I had initiated the whole thing last time, but I stuffed up due to unfroreseen (employment and other) circumstances!
I think Gary and Charles will still be interested to organise something, why don't you approach them?

Thunderspirit
04-10-2009, 01:20 AM

Some time ago, both Gary and Charles did a course at Rockdale in Sydney. I attended, though the course wasn't really pitched at those with arbitering experience.

The whole point for Gary coming to Sydney is that Charles would come to Melbourne when a 'return' course was offered in Melbourne.

From what I heard, the objections to you arbitering in Melbourne have more to do with your skill sets and performance than you being a Queenslander. I don't think I would have any problems finding arbitering work in Victoria as I played a very minor role in the 2004 Oz Champs.

You need to arbiter more serious events, not just stuff in QLD if you wish to progress.

Denis_Jessop
04-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Some time ago, both Gary and Charles did a course at Rockdale in Sydney. I attended, though the course wasn't really pitched at those with arbitering experience.

The whole point for Gary coming to Sydney is that Charles would come to Melbourne when a 'return' course was offered in Melbourne.

From what I heard, the objections to you arbitering in Melbourne have more to do with your skill sets and performance than you being a Queenslander. I don't think I would have any problems finding arbitering work in Victoria as I played a very minor role in the 2004 Oz Champs.

You need to arbiter more serious events, not just stuff in QLD if you wish to progress.

I think that Gary and Charles did one in Brisbane also; perhaps at the time of the Australian Championships there in 2006. They may have done more than one in Sydney too.

BTW I think you were involved in the 2002 Aus Champs as, among other things, Chief Arbiter for the outdoor big pieces event :) The 2004 Champs were in Adelaide.

DJ

Thunderspirit
06-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I think that Gary and Charles did one in Brisbane also; perhaps at the time of the Australian Championships there in 2006. They may have done more than one in Sydney too.

BTW I think you were involved in the 2002 Aus Champs as, among other things, Chief Arbiter for the outdoor big pieces event :) The 2004 Champs were in Adelaide.

DJ

Hi DJ, my memory of when and where Ozzie Champs have been is obviously a little defective. Thx.