PDA

View Full Version : forum feedback

Pages : 1 [2]

arosar
28-04-2005, 12:50 PM
I reckon if it helps pay for my use of this board, its welcome ... no such thing as a free lunch.

I've no issue with this board's move to 'subcsription' or using ads. I'm questioning the ad placement's efficacy - that one in particular considering the audience.

AR

adelandre
28-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi guys,

The AUCC had a donation from one of its members to put up the ad. I wouldn't do it in normal circumstances - but if it gets a few more entrants that is excellent. An ad down the bottom of the page would be very ineffective. I guess Alex (the current AUCC president) will change the wording every few days. It has been paid for 1 month.

I am sure this money will go towards supporting the site - so its a long term advantage for you guys. Perhaps we'll speak with Karthick if people find their viewing experience extremely compromised :)

Cheers
Andrew

Garvinator
28-04-2005, 03:11 PM
for one tournament at a time is fine, but what would happen if a few tournaments attempted to pay for advertising time?

eclectic
28-04-2005, 03:17 PM
for one tournament at a time is fine, but what would happen if a few tournaments attempted to pay for advertising time?

if only the health of australian chess were that good ...

now be quiet and make yourself invisible !!

:whistle:

;)

eclectic

antichrist
29-04-2005, 05:10 AM
In one of the international chess sites I found these conditions of entry:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you already have an account, you should login now. Please observe our posting guidelines:
No obscene, racist, sexist, or profane language.
No spamming, advertising, or duplicating posts.
No personal attacks against other users.
Nothing in violation of United States law.
NOTE: This forum is for this specific game. If you want to discuss chess in general, or this site, check out the Kibitzer's Café.
____________________________________________A

A few of the sheilas could learn to keep it clean.

Note they did not rule out blaspheming -- beauty
nor mocking the pope

Alan Shore
09-06-2005, 12:25 AM
I can't find the post any more but I remember asking months ago if there was a way to query postcounts in sections of the BB (eg. non-chess), has this become possible yet, K?

skip to my lou
09-06-2005, 01:21 AM
I can't find the post any more but I remember asking months ago if there was a way to query postcounts in sections of the BB (eg. non-chess), has this become possible yet, K?

Nope, because if I code, you might just threaten us that you'll leave, then leave, and then it'll all be useless.

Alan Shore
09-06-2005, 01:22 AM
Nope, because if I code, you might just threaten us that you'll leave, then leave, and then it'll all be useless.

You are a surly one. :rolleyes:

skip to my lou
09-06-2005, 01:26 AM
You are a surly one. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, vBulletin are about to release 3.5. So I'll take a look at it after upgrading to that. Might be a lot easier then too, because they are making some core changes which allows much easier code hacking.

P.S. I guess it's surly when it's directed at you, but entertainment when it's directed at others? Double standards?

Alan Shore
09-06-2005, 01:30 AM
Seriously though, vBulletin are about to release 3.5. So I'll take a look at it after upgrading to that. Might be a lot easier then too, because they are making some core changes which allows much easier code hacking.

OK, thanks.

P.S. I guess it's surly when it's directed at you, but entertainment when it's directed at others? Double standards?

Maybe you're right. I'm sure I said this a long time ago in response to accusations of 'threatening to quit' that they were not threats based upon any content here but more about external factors that make demands on my time. Sorry for riling you the other day.

arosar
22-06-2005, 07:14 PM
I nominate pax for mod job.

AR

antichrist
22-06-2005, 11:20 PM
I nominate pax for mod job.

AR
I think future mods should have to submit a declaration that they support the right of freedom of speech as well as not letting personal discriminations affect their judgememt. A few of their judgements have left wanting.

I hope Baz still posts.

Mischa
22-06-2005, 11:40 PM
He won't

arosar
27-06-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm quite surprised that Bill is a mod. Nothing against Bill but he's way too central a figure in many arguments. For the sake of diplomacy, someone more moderate or relatively uncontroversial should have been picked.

AR

Bill Gletsos
27-06-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm quite surprised that Bill is a mod. Nothing against Bill but he's way too central a figure in many arguments.I doubt I'm any more central than Kevin is.

For the sake of diplomacy, someone more moderate or relatively uncontroversial should have been picked.I aim to act just like other mods where they dont mod posts that are directly related to them except if the post is defamatory or the language excessive.

arosar
27-06-2005, 12:13 PM
I doubt I'm any more central than Kevin is.

Yes, I have probs with him as well - not personally.

AR

antichrist
27-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I doubt I'm any more central than Kevin is.
I aim to act just like other mods where they dont mod posts that are directly related to them except if the post is defamatory or the language excessive.

KB agreed with my papal poll being ruled out for stupidity, just because he was a candidate to replace the pope and had received no votes.

Bill, will you let people make fools of themselves?

Bill Gletsos
27-06-2005, 03:02 PM
KB agreed with my papal poll being ruled out for stupidity, just because he was a candidate to replace the pope and had received no votes.I seriously doubt that was the reason and that it is just an unfounded and unsupportable claim on your part.

Bill, will you let people make fools of themselves?Obviously as I havent moderated any of you posts. ;)

antichrist
27-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Bill
Remember your comments about people who participate in my polls? Well I Warneyed them with that "Another of A/C's silly polls" option.

Are you going to apologise to them?

Bill Gletsos
27-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Bill
Remember your comments about people who participate in my polls? Well I Warneyed them with that "Another of A/C's silly polls" option.

Are you going to apologise to them?No as the situation is different. When I made that comment your polls did not offer them the option to say the poll was silly. Your last few polls have offered them that option.

antichrist
27-06-2005, 04:02 PM
That tourney yesterday was the South Sydney Rapidplay, won by Adrian Rose. About 22 showed up. And you did not even know about it.

Bill Gletsos
27-06-2005, 04:04 PM
That tourney yesterday was the South Sydney Rapidplay, won by Adrian Rose. About 22 showed up. And you did not even know about it.They never advertised it anywhere that I am aware of.

Who was the organiser/DOP?

antichrist
27-06-2005, 04:06 PM
They never advertised it anywhere that I am aware of.

Who was the organiser/DOP?

Someone with surname Wolf probably from that club (does that club have a chess club?), Someone called Aaron was runner up. An annual event I think. I know no more.

Bill Gletsos
27-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Someone with surname Wolf probably from that club (does that club have a chess club?),Only Wolf I recall is Ludwig Wolf.
I believe there is a club at South Sydney Juniors that meets on Thursday nights

Someone called Aaron was runner up.Perhaps Aaron Marshall.

An annual event I think. I know no more.If so, I dont recall them adverting it in the past.

Jesse Jager
29-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Why can't i private message yet

Jesse Jager
29-06-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm sure i have posted the required ten posts

Aaron Bellette
29-06-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm sure i have posted the required ten posts
Feel free to try and message me. I'll return your message if successful.

AB

ursogr8
29-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by starter
How do I just search one thread?

There is a "search this thread" link towards the top of the page while viewing a thread, however unfortunately you can't restrict your search by username. Searching for the username will only turn up when they are mentioned. It doesn't even seem to pick up when they show up as the reference for a quote.

Since the advanced search doesn't let you search by thread, and the search-by-thread doesn't let you search by username, it would appear there's no way of performing the search you want with this forum software.

starter

Kevin Bonham
05-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Yes, I have probs with him as well - not personally.

Can you think of any particular case where you think I would have modded someone differently had I not been so frequent a combatant in debate here?

antichrist
06-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Can you think of any particular case where you think I would have modded someone differently had I not been so frequent a combatant in debate here?

Must be in crawling mode, I will defend the mod of KB and BG up to this stage. Of course we will have our differences but it how these differences are handled that is important. Both have shown to be quite tolerant and only respond when pushed beyond the limit. BG has shown himself not to be too prudish in the graveyard shift, which can be deleted before sunrise.

arosar
06-07-2005, 05:16 PM

It's the perception of bias that I'm concerned about. You're too involved. Period.

AR

Garvinator
07-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Wondering why the thread on moderation decisions isnt listed as important :eek: :uhoh: :hmm:

Alan Shore
07-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Wondering why the thread on moderation decisions isnt listed as important :eek: :uhoh: :hmm:

Because they're not?

arosar
20-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Why is Bill Gletsos a mod? Remove his mod powers!!

AR

Bill Gletsos
20-07-2005, 11:50 PM
Why is Bill Gletsos a mod? Remove his mod powers!!

ARI have not used any moderation powers in the Grade match thread.
I sent Andrew Bird a private email requesting him to remove the offending comment.
I sent you a similar PM asking you to remove a quote from your blog.
You threatened to publish the PM.
I reminded you that publishing PM's is strictly against board policy and that if you did so I expected the other moderators to take the appropriate action.

None of those actions involve any moderation power on my part.

arosar
21-07-2005, 12:18 AM
It is not appropriate for you to be a mod Bill. You are at the centre of things. Your mod powers must be removed immediately. And yes, KB has a similar question mark. Now you blokes can say you play fair - but it is the perception.

AR

antichrist
21-07-2005, 12:20 AM
I have not used any moderation powers in the Grade match thread.
I sent Andrew Bird a private email requesting him to remove the offending comment.
I sent you a similar PM asking you to remove a quote from your blog.
You threatened to publish the PM.
I reminded you that publishing PM's is strictly against board policy and that if you did so I expected the other moderators to take the appropriate action.

None of those actions involve any moderation power on my part.

Bill you have Shane Warnied me in the cricket sense, I haven't a mobile...

AR can't disclose content of PMs or will be sent to Purgatory (on Bankstown line) yet you, after warning him of such, go on to disclose contents of PMs!

Now I am beginning to think that AR was onto something!

arosar
21-07-2005, 12:26 AM
AR can't disclose content of PMs or will be sent to Purgatory (on Bankstown line) yet you, after warning him of such, go on to disclose contents of PMs!

Exactly! So you can see the double standard.

Did you have any luck about being heard by Council? They don't seem to want to listen, do they?

AR

antichrist
21-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Exactly! So you can see the double standard.

Did you have any luck about being heard by Council? They don't seem to want to listen, do they?

AR

I think one would have a greater chance of entering the Krelim and getting a hearing.

But it is SAC but who is suffering due to lack of hearing - I made sure I had my day in court.

The constitution needs to be changed so that everyone can be represented and see that justice has been done.

Bill Gletsos
21-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Bill you have Shane Warnied me in the cricket sense, I haven't a mobile...

Now I am beginning to think that AR was onto something!Actually the moderation direction says

Private messages may not be posted or quoted publicly without the written consent of the author(s) of all the material being quoted.In regards to AR's PM I neither posted it nor quoted it.

arosar
21-07-2005, 12:40 AM
That's stupid. You referred to its substance and content. That is sufficient.

AR

Bill Gletsos
21-07-2005, 12:45 AM
That's stupid. You referred to its substance and content. That is sufficient.KB is very precise. If he had intended that you could not comment on them he would have said so. He did not.

However if the moderators see fit to change the moderation policy in future to restrict comment on PM's then so be it.

PHAT
21-07-2005, 12:50 AM
KB is very precise. If he had intended that you could not comment on them he would have said so. He did not.

WOW!! So if it is not forbidden, it must be permitted.

The mind boggles at the possibilities.

Alan Shore
21-07-2005, 02:40 AM
So let's see who could replace Bill as moderator... Matt? FG7? Or how about antichrist!

I think all three of those would lead to tantalisingly adventurous possibilities... :owned:

Kevin Bonham
21-07-2005, 03:17 AM
It's the perception of bias that I'm concerned about. You're too involved. Period.

If the perception of bias is unsubstantiated and largely confined to the usual suspects then I am not too involved. Period.

As it happens I have quite a deal of experience in situations in which I am required to separate roles very carefully, for instance refereeing tournaments in which I am playing, or editing a student magazine committed to neutrality by its regulations while being personally active in some of the issues covered by it. This is really no different in terms of the approach required, but it sounds like you're trying to apply standards that would be nice ideally in the world of professional serious media to an amateur unpaid forum, and that's really just silly. It's exactly the kind of thing you'd knock down with your no-nonsense get-on-with-it attitude if anyone else was saying it.

Any large forum has its share of rogues who push the boundaries then pick personal fights with the mods and attempt to use the results of these fights to portray the mods as biased against them as moderators. It doesn't make it so.

Quoting PMs is not allowed. There's no current ban on a brief summary although anyone whose PM is misrepresented in such a summary is welcome to send me the PM that has been summarised and I will strike out the summary if it is misleading or incorrect.

Finally, a common exception to the PM privacy rule is that if you threaten violence by private email it is OK for the person threatened to publish the email. In this case you threatened a breach of the forum rules and the person you made that threat to published a summary. Seems to me you got somewhere near what you deserved and that this is all just another silly beatup.

Kevin Bonham
21-07-2005, 03:23 AM
WOW!! So if it is not forbidden, it must be permitted.

Actually, if it is not forbidden, it is not currently forbidden, that is all. We reserve the right to moderate anything for any reason at our discretion - and deal with the flak later if our decisions turn out to be bad ones.

arosar
21-07-2005, 07:50 AM
If the perception of bias is unsubstantiated and largely confined to the usual suspects then I am not too involved. Period.

That's a very arrogant thing to say mate. You are fortunate that most chatters are shy types.

AR

ursogr8
21-07-2005, 07:52 AM
KB is very precise. If he had intended that you could not comment on them he would have said so. He did not.

However if the moderators see fit to change the moderation policy in future to restrict comment on PM's then so be it.

I presumed it differently Bill.
I presumed that it would be fair to say..."I received a PM on that topic from Bill Poster", but I would not be able to divulge content, summary form or not. I presumed that otherwise we would find posters getting around the ruling by playing 20 questions, or alluding, or other devices.

But now that KB has introduced the threat/hurt escape clause I will discuss what all this means (for the mod. rules) with the Coffee Club later this morning. :uhoh:

regards
starter

ps No need to reply to this post btw. Just focus on fracii details instead.

Kevin Bonham
22-07-2005, 02:49 PM
That's a very arrogant thing to say mate.

Here's another one: Deal with it. :hand:

You are fortunate that most chatters are shy types.

What the devil are you talking about?

antichrist
25-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Mod, could you consider deleting posts 145 to 148 in St George thread please (I think I have the correct ones, from Peanbrain's first one and next three)

brett
26-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Forum is a nice tool and can be rather helpful to the chess community.

Kevin Bonham
23-08-2005, 11:56 PM
I see no reason to have one thread called "forum feedback" and another one called "your feedback" so I'm locking this one. No idea why it took me so long to notice. :rolleyes: