PDA

View Full Version : Shoe discussion continued from Good behaviour thread

Garvinator
05-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Ok, now time for a poll and a new thread branching off from the Good behaviour thread.

Poll voting is private.

Basil
05-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Wearing shoes is a matter of respect for oneself, other people and the game!

Kevin Bonham
05-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Poll being couched in the negative may result in some confused voters.

I voted "no" - I think it is a reasonable (eg not unreasonable) expectation. After all it's vaguely possible to imagine a hygiene issue in a case where someone wearing no footwear and having sharp toenails accidentally kicks their opponent.

Having said that, I reiterate that I see no role at all for state associations (etc) in policing this stuff; it is up to the organisers of individual events. Also there would be some events (eg a casual outdoor tournament at a summer festival) where such an expectation would be a bit formal and silly.

Kruupy
05-04-2008, 03:12 PM
I vote yes, as long as it does not create any other distractions such as smell etc.

Axiom
05-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Very hot days without air conditioning could also be problematical.

Basil
05-04-2008, 04:15 PM
You people are a joke!

Footwear is practically required anywhere and everywhere in the public domain and certainly any organised gathering.

It could only take chess a bunch of chess types with their peculiar spin on norms to advocate otherwise.

Get a clue! Get real! Stand outside your warped socially dysfunctional mindset for one little minute and look from the outside in. Oh FFS :hand:

Garvinator
05-04-2008, 04:33 PM
You people are a joke!

Footwear is practically required anywhere and everywhere in the public domain and certainly any organised gathering.

It could only take chess a bunch of chess types with their peculiar spin on norms to advocate otherwise.

Get a clue! Get real! Stand outside your warped socially dysfunctional mindset for one little minute and look from the outside in. Oh FFS :hand:
Howie, have you checked your emails in the last few hours?

Basil
05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
This is not about impinging on social liberties.
This is not about governing body interference.

This is about respect for our game.
This is about leadership.
This is about minimum standards.

Every similar arena has a dress code, but oh no, the precious f***ing geniuses in chess. Not those so socially disconnected from the rest of humanity. Oh no, we don't want to do anything that has the remotest sniff of anti snivel-f***ing-libertariansim.

Garrett
05-04-2008, 04:35 PM
This whole topic is fascinating me.

I honestly never give it a second thought.

Does anyone get offended with un-starched shirts or chicks with their faces uncovered ?

Once again : IMO dress code is dependent on venue. I can even remember kicking off the sandals at Sommerset College to reduce the noise as I walk around. The whole floor seems designed for occupants to hear the approach of thieves.

Cheers
Garrett.

Basil
05-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Howie, have you checked your emails in the last few hours?
I have. And yes we will. The biggest club in Australian chess (well nearly) will lead the way while these other drips get a clue (in about 5 years time) :wall:

Garvinator
05-04-2008, 04:36 PM
I have. And yes we will. The biggest club in Australian chess will lead the way while these other drips get a clue (in about 5 years time) :wall:
:hmm: I was not aware that Box Hill Chess Club was planning anything or even having this discussion ;)

Garvinator
05-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Once again : IMO dress code is dependent on venue. I can even remember kicking off the sandals at Sommerset College to reduce the noise as I walk around. The whole floor seems designed for occupants to hear the approach of thieves.
Or it is a dance hall during school hours and the girls are usually wearing ballet type shoes.

Garvinator
05-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Seems that Howie's latest spray has generated two more votes for NO.

Garvinator
05-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Poll being couched in the negative may result in some confused voters. I did try and get a fair wording for the question I wanted answered, while still trying to avoid push polling. Can you suggest a different wording?

Having said that, I reiterate that I see no role at all for state associations (etc) in policing this stuff; it is up to the organisers of individual events.Not so sure I agree with this, but I can see problems a plenty with this approach. Also this was not the original area of intention when starting the discussion, Cameron was the one who went in that area.

Garrett
05-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Or it is a dance hall during school hours and the girls are usually wearing ballet type shoes.

Beats the hell out of me. What's your point ?

Garvinator
05-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Beats the hell out of me. What's your point ?
Just explaining why the floor is so 'noisy'.

Kevin Bonham
05-04-2008, 04:47 PM
I did try and get a fair wording for the question I wanted answered, while still trying to avoid push polling. Can you suggest a different wording?

I would have just used "a reasonable" instead of "an unreasonable".

Garrett
05-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Just explaining why the floor is so 'noisy'.

so are uncovered feet or excess noise the greatest evil to chess players ?

I am sure we'd all like to be playing in 'RSL' conditions but unfortunately that just aint the case.

Cheers
Garrett.

Axiom
05-04-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm in favour of minimum dress standards for the major events.

Clubs can determine their own rules, however on hot days without air conditioning the thong is king !

Garvinator
05-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I am sure we'd all like to be playing in 'RSL' conditions but unfortunately that just aint the case.
Wouldnt happen to know of any RSL's in the Brisbane area that have a decent playing area for an affordable rate. Kedron Wavell does but is to expensive and I am not keen on them after the Shawsportz debacle.

Sherwood does not have a suitable area. Redlands is already covered.

Garrett
05-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Wouldnt happen to know of any RSL's in the Brisbane area that have a decent playing area for an affordable rate. Kedron Wavell does but is to expensive and I am not keen on them after the Shawsportz debacle.

Sherwood does not have a suitable area. Redlands is already covered.

Cheers
Garrett.

Basil
05-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Excess noise is the worse. Not sure how it's relevant. Let;s clean this shambles of a game up.

------------------------------------------

Interestingly, rugby league, that last bastion of meat pie apishness refused to clean up its act for years (laughable scrums, poor tackles etc.). Stoic past players and ignorant-to-finersse present day admins simply weren't motivated. What was good for them and grandpa was good for now. A perfect example of group think.

In these more enlightened times (with gay soccer taking over everything) and fatso belcho numbers down, rugby league is having its most serious look at itself ever.

Garrett
05-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Excess noise is the worse. Not sure how it's relevant. Let;s clean this shambles of a game up.

------------------------------------------

Interestingly, rugby league, that last bastion of meat pie apishness refused to clean up its act for years (laughable scrums, poor tackles etc.). Stoic past players and ignorant-to-finersse present day admins simply weren't motivated. What was good for them and grandpa was good for now. A perfect example of group think.

In these more enlightened times (with gay soccer taking over everything) and fatso belcho numbers down, rugby league is having its most serious look at itself ever.

Without any knowledge about Rugby League or Gay Soccer (how do you know about gay soccer?) my point is that dress standards for chess is dependent on venue.

I would never go barefoot at Brisbane club or the State Library. I also would never go barefoot when playing you from now on because you have indicated it would upset you.

I would however kick off my shoes if it would reduce noise such as when we are playing on noisy wooden floors with tressle tables. I also wouldn't worry too much if I was playing at venue which had no air-con, had boxing matches going on outside, and had toilets which had not been cleaned for weeks. I can even recently remember an arbiter telling a young lady that if you do not feel safe using the toilets which are provided you can use the toilets in the building over yonder.

I am all for showing respect to opponents. It is interesting how different people and cultures think. My very best friend at work is from Asia and when she talks to me (she is and analyst and I am a programmer) she stands about 12-18 inches from me. For my culture that is a very friendly or very aggressive zone but for her culture it is just normal. I take that into account and just laugh to myself about how silly humanity really is.

People are different.

If you have communicated to someone that you have found their behaviour offensive and they have ignored you then that is wrong.

Can I ask who you have communicated to that you find their bare feet offensive ?

Cheers
Garrett.

Basil
05-04-2008, 06:33 PM
This has nothing to do with being offended. It has everything to do with infrastructure and standards - most worthwhile boundaries. Lord knows chess could do with a few; the lack of which no doubt contributes to some degree to the game's rather shambolic, ad hoc and generally laughable reputation.

I am not averse to exceptions in non air-conditioned venues, as is the case with many dress standards north of the tropic, for example. Even your noisy floorboard example may pass muster. I'm all for common sense. But here the emphasis is on exception to the rule.

But before we get into the common sense (relaxations) side of things, let's nail down some basic tenets.

CameronD
05-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm starting a new poll as this one is badly worded. I think its not unreasonable for organizers to require ffotwear to be worn.

antichrist
22-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Shoes should have to be worn but also kept on, we do not want people complaining about smelly footwear distracting their concentration. If they insist in discarding their footware they should at least take it outside the hall or seal in a plastic bag and have a deodorant to spray their feet.

And if anyone want so take off their shoe and throw them at the DOP for yapping too long about rules before rounds, just like they did at GW Bush and J W Howard, well they should at least be a good shot and remember it is not Tom Jones they are aiming at and keep their panties on.

littlesprout85
29-01-2011, 12:13 AM
lol,

Funny how ac and sprouty have alot in common- like "Cant Stand Smelly Foot Odor" :uhoh:

-Sprout85 =)

antichrist
29-01-2011, 01:10 AM
I used to cart junior chess players around, young champs actually, and their sports shoes ponged out the car. I hope some of them read this. ha ha But that was not as bad as the day when teaching them chess my brief case fell over and out fell the condoms on the classroom floor - dont mention the war.