PDA

View Full Version : Feedback and suggestions

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Kevin Bonham
22-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Since there are so many threads in non-chess that are about politics (and the majority of those threads tread over the same ground anyway) why not have a separate section for political discussion. This way, people who are not interested in politics will know which section to avoid.

We've considered splitting up non-chess in the past (at one stage I proposed having a flamewar section because there were so many flamewars; there are a hell of a lot less now that most of the trolls have got themselves banned) but basically non-chess is not a very major part of the site's reason for being, so we're not sure providing any extra encouragement for people to post there instead of in the chess sections is a good idea (even though it does get quite a lot of posts at the moment.)

Also, what would you call "politics"? Would you include the religion threads?

Those not interested in politics should either avoid the non-chess section altogether or just follow non-politics threads on it.

Aaron Guthrie
23-11-2007, 12:42 AM
Those not interested in politics should either avoid the non-chess section altogether or just follow non-politics threads on it.Or start some new non-pol ones!

Axiom
20-02-2008, 12:12 AM
can i post in my thread ?

Kevin Bonham
20-02-2008, 12:13 AM
can i post in my thread ?

Apparent technical glitch under investigation.

Axiom
20-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Apparent technical glitch under investigation.
thankyou

frog
06-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi All,

The last day or so ChessChat hasnt been working from Favourites or from ACF. So I googled it and resaved on my computors and now everything is right with the world.

regards to ALL

Kevin Bonham
06-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi All,

The last day or so ChessChat hasnt been working from Favourites or from ACF. So I googled it and resaved on my computors and now everything is right with the world.

regards to ALL

Thanks for the info. Looks like the problem is that the old chesskit link no longer links here.

Denis_Jessop
06-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like the problem is that the old chesskit link no longer links here.

Just so. I just checked it and the "Chess Kit forum" link on the ACF website no longer works. Why it is still there at all I'm not sure. Not sure about George's "favourites" link though.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
06-03-2008, 10:03 PM
The chesskit link to the old ACF BB has also gone down, most likely at the same time, so I would guess that the chesskit URL is deceased or temporarily offline.

eclectic
06-03-2008, 10:14 PM
The chesskit link to the old ACF BB has also gone down, most likely at the same time, so I would guess that the chesskit URL is deceased or temporarily offline.

Registration Service Provided By: Net Logistics Pty Ltd
Contact: //staffATnetlogistics.com.au// [edited to stop possible spamming]

Domain name: chesskit.com

Registrant Contact:

n/a n/a (admin@chesskit.com)
+1.0
Fax:
n/a
n/a, n/a
AU

Administrative Contact:

+1.0
Fax:
n/a
n/a, n/a
AU

Technical Contact:

+1.0
Fax:
n/a
n/a, n/a
AU

Name Servers:
dns1.servnow.com
dns2.servnow.com
dns3.servnow.com

Creation date: 19 Sep 2000 00:37:21
Expiration date: 19 Sep 2008 00:37:21

Basil
16-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Where did the 'Worst British Comedy' thread go?

Bill Gletsos
16-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Where did the 'Worst British Comedy' thread go?Accidently deleted whilst removing a spammer.
It has been restored.

Garvinator
27-03-2008, 09:10 AM
chesschat clock seems to be showing post times three hours behind real time. Currently here in bris it is 12:10pm and the chesschat clock is showing 9:10am

Kevin Bonham
27-03-2008, 09:11 AM
^^^
Verifying above.

Bill Gletsos
27-03-2008, 09:23 AM
A couple of hours ago chesschat seemed to be down.
I suspect when it was restarted the times were set incorrectly.

Kevin Bonham
27-03-2008, 09:44 AM
A couple of hours ago chesschat seemed to be down.
I suspect when it was restarted the times were set incorrectly.

It looks like this is the case because a post by Brian Jones that was made earlier this morning continues appearing after posts that have been made after it, and getting shuffled to the end of the thread although it does not show as the latest post.

Zwischenzug
09-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Been getting this error a lot today. Turns up when trying to view thread(s) returned from a forum search.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /showthread.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.39 Server at www.chesschat.org Port 80

Kevin Bonham
09-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Been getting this error a lot today. Turns up when trying to view thread(s) returned from a forum search.

I just did a few test searches without any problems. It's odd that you're getting that problem that way because it's most common for that message to appear when there is some glitch triggered by a particular expression in the text of the post (this is still very rare, but has happened a few times now).

Zwischenzug
09-07-2008, 09:26 PM
For example, I've typed in "King's Gambit" into the search (with the quotation marks). The search results return like it should but viewing them causes the 404 error.

eclectic
09-07-2008, 09:29 PM
have you got the "remember me" bit ticked beside your username whem you log in?

it affects something else that happens here but not sure about this glitch

Zwischenzug
09-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Yep, that is set so I never have to type my username and password.

Anyway, just tried the search again, the error comes up every time.

Edit: Strangely enough, it happens only when I search the words "King's Gambit". Any other search works fine.

Kevin Bonham
09-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Now I'm getting it too with that information. It appears to be triggered by including an apostrophe in the search term, and can be overcome by simply removing the apostrophe (I don't think this affects the search results.)

Zwischenzug
09-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Now I'm getting it too with that information. It appears to be triggered by including an apostrophe in the search term, and can be overcome by simply removing the apostrophe (I don't think this affects the search results.)

Yes, it works now. Order is restored to chesschat. Thanks Kevin.

WhiteElephant
10-07-2008, 10:44 AM
The apostrophe is slowly being eliminated from common usage (even on chess forums). It is part of the overall dumbing down of Western society.

Desmond
10-07-2008, 11:41 AM
This is an SQL error, where SQL does not like text being entered that contains apostrophies. There are workarounds available to remove the apostrophe from the search, but I guess vBulletin didn't bother with them for some reason.

antichrist
10-07-2008, 07:37 PM
yes by the big boss upstairs! after all that's his son you re talkin about mate! by the way i wanted to know if you dare to make your usual brazenly smartarse comments ie about the Prophet when u re amongst Muslim brothers
Cheers and good luck - and visit here more often, I miss you, you ratbag! :)

I have stirred up my fellow Lebo brothers - there were three pages of letters against me, about ten years ago.

antichrist
10-07-2008, 07:50 PM
BG:Axiom's ban reset to a week as of now for using a hydra whilst banned.

Is there any fine for annoying?

antichrist
10-07-2008, 08:06 PM
What happened to my thread about sex scandals at [snip - mod] - has it gone off to join the pope poll? In Limbo!

Kevin Bonham
10-07-2008, 08:27 PM
What happened to my thread about sex scandals at [snip - mod] - has it gone off to join the pope poll? In Limbo!

Please cease naming the event at which these sex scandals are said to have occurred. :D

Yes, it was zapped as no evidence was provided and even if anything did happen there it is probably in the private and "who cares?" departments anyway.

antichrist
10-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Please cease naming the event at which these sex scandals are said to have occurred. :D

Yes, it was zapped as no evidence was provided and even if anything did happen there it is probably in the private and "who cares?" departments anyway.

Don't you know that sex sells? I love scandal and it is also a women's thing. Also my gay friend he loves sex scandal. [mod-edit]

ER
13-07-2008, 07:32 PM
I have stirred up my fellow Lebo brothers - there were three pages of letters against me, about ten years ago.

and what happened in the last decade? did you have your big fat smart arse softened down?
Cheers and good luck!

Axiom
13-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Don't you know that sex sells? I love scandal and it is also a women's thing. Also my gay friend he loves sex scandal. [mod-edit]
You aspire to that of the tabloid agenda ?

Axiom
13-07-2008, 09:05 PM
You know that this wonderful guy can't help himself - pretty cruel of you to ban him longer - get off his back.

Is there any fine for annoying?
:confused: :hmm: :eek: ;) :cool: :D :uhoh:

antichrist
13-07-2008, 10:46 PM
and what happened in the last decade? did you have your big fat smart arse softened down?
Cheers and good luck!

Yeah, from sitting on it playing chess. But am getting over it by triathlon training - very strong legs now.

The pope protests are only 15 years after I led the charge on exactly the same issue, condoms as birth control and AIDS preventative. I don't really care if I protest against papa this time as someone else are doing it and they are all organised. But I expect to get there, can't help myself.

I must annoy that bastard who represents one of the worse institutions in human historhy - take that Mac

antichrist
18-07-2008, 12:52 PM
I removed a silly thread concerning "sex scandals" as if even I managed to work out who it is supposedly about (and no, I won't be saying, don't ask) it's quite likely others will too.

No further discussion of the claimed "scandal" is to occur without permission of a moderator (which I won't be granting without both firm proof of the incident and demonstration of public interest). It is very likely that a ban will be applied if trolling on this matter, or even envelope-pushing concerning it, continues. - KB
But you may be wrong and that is injustice to your victim. U should at least check out with me first coz you may be spreading vicious rumors about wrong person - imagine if I had guessed wrong person re strange bags of fruit under the table and some one took umbage.

If the priests can deny and hide from sexual abuse why can't I find refuge?

Kevin Bonham
18-07-2008, 03:05 PM
But you may be wrong and that is injustice to your victim.

No it isn't, because I will not be spreading the rumour, with or without that person's name attached to it.

Nor do I give a rumour any credence simply because it exists - especially not if it is one of yours.

If the priests can deny and hide from sexual abuse why can't I find refuge?

Please stop dragging religious debate into threads to which it is not relevant.

arosar
22-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Have youse blokes banned a particular net cafe in Brissy, on Queen St Mall? I was up in Brissy on Saturday, was there on day trip to see the Picasso exhibit, popped in to this net cafe and couldn't bloody log in here.

What's up with that?

Btw, the exhibition is a must-see. Plus, that whole area around the Southbank is truly impressive. It is one of the most remarkable achievements in Australian architecture in my opinion. The SLQ, especially, is just a wonderful space.

Of course, the really beautiful thing about Brissy is the weather. There I was from Sydney, carrying my Goddamn long overcoat (I'd left the house in Sydney at 5-effing-AM in freezing weather) while them locals were literally promenading about in effing t-shirts!

AR

Basil
22-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Of course, the really beautiful thing about Brissy is the weather. ... while them locals were literally promenading about in effing t-shirts! AR
Yup, it's tough - unless you listen to those Canberra types :lol:

Kevin Bonham
22-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Have youse blokes banned a particular net cafe in Brissy, on Queen St Mall? I was up in Brissy on Saturday, was there on day trip to see the Picasso exhibit, popped in to this net cafe and couldn't bloody log in here.

What's up with that?

We've banned a few Queensland IPs that have been frequently used by Arrogant-One's hydras. But it could also have been an issue with the way they had their internet set up. I tried to log in very briefly from a computer I don't usually use so I could answer a tournament query recently and it would log me in then immediately log me out again.

Garvinator
23-07-2008, 01:40 AM
The SLQ, especially, is just a wonderful space.
That is where the current SLQ/CAQ Interclub is being held.

eclectic
25-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Is it possible to place banned members (and spammers?) into a special invisible user category so that they are unable to login to "maintain a presence" as a form of protest?

I understand that those banned can't trawl through the board so to speak and indeed (if i read the workings of this forum correctly) they would access more by simply perusing as guests.

Kevin Bonham
25-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Is it possible to place banned members (and spammers?) into a special invisible user category so that they are unable to login to "maintain a presence" as a form of protest?

We could discontinue their accounts entirely but that would make it easier for them to sign up a new one as well as playing who knows what havoc with the stats.

It is quite common for users who get banned to become stuck so that they can't work out a way to log out and read as guest from that computer. They may hence be trying to find a way around it.

Arrogant-One (MISKINS) has this problem and I offered to unban his stuck account long enough for him to log out and then ban it again provided he sacked farcegoat7 as mod and banned him. :D Clearly a situation from which Alex would obtain two benefits for the price of one and I cannot understand why he declined my excellent offer.

I understand that those banned can't trawl through the board so to speak and indeed (if i read the workings of this forum correctly) they would access more by simply perusing as guests.

Also my understanding (and my experience while banned from the Toolbox.)

Aaron Guthrie
25-07-2008, 05:53 PM
It is quite common for users who get banned to become stuck so that they can't work out a way to log out and read as guest from that computer.Out of interest, does chesschat log one out automatically after a certain period of time?

Axiom
12-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Moderation Notice

Fiction tag added to thread title pending convincing evidence otherwise.
i'm sorry , but i find that highly offensive, not only to me , but to all that have come before me , to all the keepers of the flame , to all the great chess warriors of the *** .
You have , with this single heinous act , in effect , spat in our face .
We have a great and wondrous heritage , and we have overcome far greater obstacles before, and we will do so again .
i ask all lovers of the *** , TO STAND UP , TO FIGHT THIS GROSS SMEAR ON OUR GOOD NAME , AND EVERYTHING WE STAND FOR !

All for one and chess for all !

this is the type of discrediting that went on under the old kremlin .
Rest assured the spirit of those times will prevail , regardless of the petty minds of small men .
it is not unlike saying
" is the mona lisa real ? "
" is the moon landing real ? "
" is the pope catholic ? "
" does a siberian bear attend to business in the forest ? " ( and here i'm referring to the siberian bears chess team of krasnoyarsk , which regularly conducted business in the local woods for fear of exposure )

eclectic
12-08-2008, 06:47 PM
just be thankful the initial "f" is not pronounced "ev" :whistle:

Axiom
12-08-2008, 06:53 PM
just be thankful the initial "f" is not pronounced "ev" :whistle:
ec- thats what i like about you , you're always thinking.

Garrett
12-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Moderation Notice

Fiction tag added to thread title pending convincing evidence otherwise.

I disagree with this,

are you going to change the 'Does God Exist' thread to 'Does God (fictional) Exist' just because you happen to hold a certain opinion ?

I think a fairer solution would be to make posts in a thread explaining that you hold the view that it is fictional.

Cheers
Garrett.

eclectic
12-08-2008, 07:02 PM
I disagree with this,

are you going to change the 'Does God Exist' thread to 'Does God Exist (fictional)' just because you happen to hold a certain opinion ?

I think a fairer solution would be to make posts in a thread explaining that you hold the view that it is fictional.

Cheers
Garrett.

that thread should be closed and consigned to purgatory :owned:

eclectic
12-08-2008, 07:13 PM
omg ... :lol:

should we start a special book shelf subforum suitably situated to enhance the decor of the "lounge"? :P

Axiom
12-08-2008, 07:20 PM
I disagree with this,

are you going to change the 'Does God Exist' thread to 'Does God (fictional) Exist' just because you happen to hold a certain opinion ?

Cheers
Garrett.
exactly , garrett , thank you.

Axiom
12-08-2008, 07:23 PM
i thought fahrenheit 451 was fiction ! ?? :rolleyes:

eclectic
12-08-2008, 07:27 PM
i thought fahrenheit 451 was fiction ! ?? :rolleyes:

too hot a topic!

Kevin Bonham
12-08-2008, 07:59 PM
I disagree with this,

No, because the "Does God Exist?" thread is clearly a thread for people to express opinions for or against and as such a reader would expect views to be expressed that may or may not be factual.

In the case of the *** threads we have what extremely strongly appears to be fiction masquerading as fact and causing confusion to readers and posters.

Given the feedback I have had from posters (in particular the comments about the dangers of young readers forming false opinions about what Siberia and Russia are really like from the posts) I consider this to go beyond a matter of what I would say as a poster, and at the point where a moderation indication that the matter is fiction (unless Axiom can provide strong reason to believe it may be fact) is appropriate.

This is nothing against the *** threads which can be quite entertaining - I just think it is reasonable that their nature is indicated.

Aaron Guthrie
14-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I want to know how far I can go in insulting anonymous users on this site.

Also, does the lying accusation ban apply to anonymous users.

Kevin Bonham
15-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I want to know how far I can go in insulting anonymous users on this site.

About as far as you like so long as it doesn't breach anything here (http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=58499&postcount=1).

Also, does the lying accusation ban apply to anonymous users.

Lying accusations are always fine if they are adequately substantiated.

Beyond that, the ban does apply to pseudonymous users whose identities are known or knowable. But in the case of a completely anonymous user whose identity is unknown and who has been at pains to keep it that way, I'd say that since they can't be defamed, I wouldn't moderate a liar call against them.

Axiom
20-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Axiom has been previously warned about making virtual monologues in the shoutbox, along with numerous other shoutbox offences in recent weeks.

Axiom is therefore banned from the shoutbox for two weeks.

Sprouty and Justatknight better be careful then ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Gletsos
20-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Sprouty and Justatknight better be careful then ! :lol: :lol: :lol:They have nothing to fear as their monologues are not steams of endless dribble.

Axiom
20-09-2008, 11:22 PM
They have nothing to fear as their monologues are not steams of endless dribble.
i'm sure that will be news to them ! ;)

Axiom
21-09-2008, 09:08 PM
"Dribble" is quite obviously , to the ill informed merely a subjective device employed by Bill to exclude those ideas that are anathema to him .

To all members , are you happy with this most irrational form of moderating ?

Speak up , The Siberian Tigers , would expect no less of you !

Basil
21-09-2008, 09:38 PM
"Dribble" is quite obviously , ... a subjective device
I'm not privy to Bill's processing, but I reckon your dribbling is certainly quantifiable.

Litres dribbled : {insert}
Pixels filled : {insert}
Net value : always = zero

Axiom
21-09-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm not privy to Bill's processing, but I reckon your dribbling is certainly quantifiable.

Litres dribbled : {insert}
Pixels filled : {insert}
Net value : always = zero
Gunner i doubt you are privy to much that resembles reality , with all due respect.

Kevin Bonham
21-09-2008, 09:42 PM
"Dribble" is quite obviously , to the ill informed merely a subjective device employed by Bill to exclude those ideas that are anathema to him .

Actually we had already excluded "ideas" that you were over-dominating the shoutbox with (the lack of interest in them generally from other shouters being clear).

The current issue is your monologues about more or less nothing.

Basil
21-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Gunner i doubt you are privy to much that resembles reality , with all due respect.
Interesting answer, and quite within style. Meaningless. Off topic. Invokes guesswork. Incorrect.

BTW the subject was the ability to quantify your dribble.

Axiom
21-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Interesting answer, and quite within style. Meaningless. Off topic. Invokes guesswork. Incorrect.

BTW the subject was the ability to quantify your dribble.
precisely

Bill Gletsos
21-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Axiom you have been warned previously to keep your pet topics to your own threads and not pollute other threads.

As such I have deleted your last two posts from the Coffee Lounge.

Axiom
21-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Axiom you have been warned previously to keep your pet topics to your own threads and not pollute other threads.

As such I have deleted your last two posts from the Coffee Lounge.
It's THE COFFEE LOUNGE ! :doh:

Axiom
21-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Bill Gletsos
Ax cannot read the shoutbox whilst banned :hmm:

Garvinator
22-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Alexrules01 signature is a little big and distracting?

eclectic
22-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Alexrules01 signature is a little big and distracting?

worry only when axiom works out how to do it :hand:

Axiom
22-09-2008, 02:14 AM
worry only when axiom works out how to do it :hand:
Not that big letters would help to penetrate that programmed conditioned brainwashed mind controlled brain of yours ec :hand:

Trent Parker
22-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Not that big letters would help to penetrate that programmed conditioned brainwashed mind controlled brain of yours ec :hand:

No we don't want our brains raped by some BS you come with Ax. I do not care for your "*******s" or any conspiracy theories etc.

Hell I even put you on my Ignore list! Its a pity that your posts still come up when I'm Lurking.

I would prefer to be "uninformed" than be "informed" by a deluded person like you!

So take your toy topics to your thread where you can play to your hearts content. If you are a good boy you'll be allowed to play in the shout box once again. But dont let the mess get outside that thread!!! :P :lol:

Now...... Back on Ignore list!

Axiom
22-09-2008, 09:18 PM
I would prefer to be "uninformed"

NO WONDER , YOU BRAINWASHED BLIND BOOTLICKING DOLT.

CameronD
22-09-2008, 09:23 PM

Thats going a bit far ax, I hope you edit to something a little less personally offensive.

Axiom
22-09-2008, 09:25 PM
They have nothing to fear as their monologues are not steams of endless dribble.
Awoken to your blindingly obvious hypocrisy yet ??

Axiom
22-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Thats going a bit far ax, I hope you edit to something a little less personally offensive.
consistent with the ignorant bile , i would have thought .

just a reminder ,that they are dealing with THE AXIOM here ! :cool:

Bill Gletsos
22-09-2008, 09:50 PM
consistent with the ignorant bile , i would have thought .

just a reminder ,that they are dealing with THE AXIOM here ! :cool:Consider yourself dealt with. :whistle:

Basil
23-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Pop goes the weasel!

Trent Parker
23-09-2008, 07:47 AM
ROTFL!!!!

arosar
25-09-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm not sure I like this idea of religion and politics being subforums. I'm now having to click twice before I get to them. Why not bring those sections out 2 levels up so that they are on the same level as "non-chess"?

AR

Rincewind
25-09-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure I like this idea of religion and politics being subforums. I'm now having to click twice before I get to them. Why not bring those sections out 2 levels up so that they are on the same level as "non-chess"?

It's doable but I wouldn't want the home page to get too long.

Basically those threads were previously owned by Non-Chess and they continue to be included in that broad group. It's just a more refine subcategory.

Bill Gletsos
25-09-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm not sure I like this idea of religion and politics being subforums. I'm now having to click twice before I get to them. Why not bring those sections out 2 levels up so that they are on the same level as "non-chess"?But those two forums do show on the main chesschat page as subforums under the Non-Chess forum.
As such you can go directly to them from the front page.

arosar
01-10-2008, 10:22 PM
'Scuse me youse blokes. What's this business about banning gmail? What if these spammers move on to hotmail, Y!, or whatever? You gonna ban those too?

AR

Rincewind
01-10-2008, 10:35 PM
'Scuse me youse blokes. What's this business about banning gmail? What if these spammers move on to hotmail, Y!, or whatever? You gonna ban those too?

Potentially.

So far we have more than 2000 users signed up with gmail.com The number of known active users is less than 50.

CameronD
01-10-2008, 10:52 PM
do people need an email account to sign up to chesschat

Rincewind
01-10-2008, 11:05 PM
do people need an email account to sign up to chesschat

Yes.

Rincewind
06-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Please note that since October 1 we have had 243 users sign up with @gmail.com accounts. Of these, 148 have been banned, and the majority of the remainder are probably spammers too.

These bans present a substantial load on the moderators of this site and therefore the plan to block signup of new accounts using a @gmail.com email account is scheduled to go ahead this Wednesday as previously advised.

antichrist
25-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Axiom is banned for 1 week and also banned for 2 months from the shoutbox for disobeying a directive from a moderator.

As a continual repeat offender Axiom is now on a zero tolerance policy. Bg
Axiom never hurt anyone and does not deserve to be on any Zero Tolerance List - sounds like the bloody Catholic Inquisition and Forbidden Index of books. He definitely one of the colourful characters around here that makes the place half wanting to scan and his posts can just be ignored if unliked.

Desmond
29-10-2008, 11:49 AM
I have been using the Google Chrome browser lately, and it does not seem to be handling the "go to first new post" properly. It takes me to a couple of pages back which I have already read.

Garvinator
29-10-2008, 12:45 PM
I have been using the Google Chrome browser lately, and it does not seem to be handling the "go to first new post" properly. It takes me to a couple of pages back which I have already read.
How do you find the google chrome browser generally? Better than latest firefox?

Desmond
29-10-2008, 01:05 PM
How do you find the google chrome browser generally? Better than latest firefox?I haven't used the new Firefox much, but chrome is very fast. It remembers your frequently visited sites and displays them like a thumbnail on the front page. I like that feature.

Capablanca-Fan
11-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Any update on how Chrome compares with IE and FF?

Garvinator
12-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Any update on how Chrome compares with IE and FF?
Have been using it for a couple of weeks now. IE is junk, so any half decent browser should be better than IE.

As for ff, chrome is a little bit quicker but for me ff is a little better laid out.

One thing with chrome though, is that instead of needing to download google toolbar or go to google.com to do a search, because chrome is google, to search for an item, you just put your search item into the address bar at the top, click enter and it searches for you. A good feature.

I am sure people who are more computer savvy than me can tell you about more enhanced features.

I recommend giving chrome a go and see what you think. The worst thing is that you decide that ff is better and go back to that.

Adamski
12-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Have been using it for a couple of weeks now. IE is junk, so any half decent browser should be better than IE.

As for ff, chrome is a little bit quicker but for me ff is a little better laid out.

One thing with chrome though, is that instead of needing to download google toolbar or go to google.com to do a search, because chrome is google, to search for an item, you just put your search item into the address bar at the top, click enter and it searches for you. A good feature.

I am sure people who are more computer savvy than me can tell you about more enhanced features.

I recommend giving chrome a go and see what you think. The worst thing is that you decide that ff is better and go back to that.I like Mozilla Firefox as my browser. Much better than IE. I have not tried chrome.

Miranda
12-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I've tried FF and Chrome, as well as IE.

I like Chrome a lot - it loads faster and has quite a few useful features. However, there are still a few bugs, so I mostly use IE. However, once Chrome's bugs are fixed up, I would prefer to use it over IE and FF. FF isn't that bad, but IE is just easier.

Capablanca-Fan
12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanx for the info, all.

arosar
24-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Test...

AR

Desmond
27-11-2008, 08:31 PM
IIRC there is a timer that limits how quickly in succession you can make posts. I think it is 30 seconds. Is it possible to change this on a poster-level?If so I would suggest making it 5 mins for some posters. Or possibly 5 years.

Bill Gletsos
27-11-2008, 09:02 PM
IIRC there is a timer that limits how quickly in succession you can make posts. I think it is 30 seconds. Is it possible to change this on a poster-level?If so I would suggest making it 5 mins for some posters. Or possibly 5 years.As far as I know it is a system wide value.

Space_Dude
30-11-2008, 06:14 PM
How come you can't castle in the PGN recorder??

Kevin Bonham
30-11-2008, 06:27 PM

You can; 0-0 for kingside castling or 0-0-0 for queenside. If you're having trouble post what you've got and we'll see why it isn't working.

Garvinator
30-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Tony, in the pgn recorder, you need to use the number 0, rather than the o. Which have you been trying?

Zwischenzug
30-11-2008, 08:58 PM

Trying moving the king instead of the rook :D

chesstash
21-12-2008, 10:52 PM
how do i get a picture next to my username?

Ian Murray
22-12-2008, 06:22 AM
how do i get a picture next to my username?
Go to UserCP > Settings & Options > Edit Avatar

chesstash
22-12-2008, 08:55 PM
how do I make the picture next to my username bigger?
:hmm:

Rincewind
22-12-2008, 09:50 PM
how do I make the picture next to my username bigger?
:hmm:

Probably better to go back to the original file. Paste it into Paint and then scale it so it is no bigger than 100 pixels in height and width. Then save that as a .bmp file and then upload that file as your custom avatar.

Kaitlin
26-12-2008, 05:36 PM
..is there anywhere that delivers ice cream without having to buy a pizza?

Metro
26-12-2008, 08:21 PM
..is there anywhere that delivers ice cream without having to buy a pizza?
Try Mr.Whippy:owned:

antichrist
29-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Probably this weekend. It was upgraded due to a security issue so I have no chance to code back the extra features.

when I do a search why do I always get this post, not a good ad for the site nor for chess

Kevin Bonham
29-12-2008, 06:52 PM
when I do a search why do I always get this post, not a good ad for the site nor for chess

What search term are you using?

antichrist
01-01-2009, 02:20 PM
What search term are you using?

no idea sorry. I will check out

Garvinator
26-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I have been attempting to create a new thread in the 1337 lounge and each time I do, I keep getting a 404 message. Is anyone else getting this? Happens in both firefox and ie.

Rincewind
26-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I have been attempting to create a new thread in the 1337 lounge and each time I do, I keep getting a 404 message. Is anyone else getting this? Happens in both firefox and ie.

Gunner created one in there today. I suspect the problem is with the post, some text appears SQLy and so is being filtered as an attempted SQL injection.

Try a first post with just "test" or something and see if the problem occurs. If that is ok, edit that post and keep adding your original text until the problem occurs and then you can reword the bit that is causing the problem.

If you can't even start a "test" first post thread then come back here.

Garvinator
27-01-2009, 03:06 AM
Gunner created one in there today. I suspect the problem is with the post, some text appears SQLy and so is being filtered as an attempted SQL injection.

Try a first post with just "test" or something and see if the problem occurs. If that is ok, edit that post and keep adding your original text until the problem occurs and then you can reword the bit that is causing the problem.

If you can't even start a "test" first post thread then come back here.
Just worked, have no idea why I was getting filtered. It was just a boring post. Nothing technical in the post at all.

ER
29-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I joined this forum mid 2006.

Organising my last three years calendars after I returned from Sydney last weekend, I found that:

There is not one single international / interstate / local Chess event that I was interested that did not appear in this Forum.

Also ALL events that I participated either as a player or a spectator were covered by this Forum.

Of paramount importance to my Chess knowledge, improvement, training were suggestions, analysis, discussions by stronger players.

References to publications, websites, rating information, opportunities to discuss with other members, correspondence games were, are and will be an important part of the functioning of this Forum.

For all of this fantastic work, big :clap: to owners, administrators, moderators and fellow members.

antichrist
25-02-2009, 04:08 PM
http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1581

post 11 here of K Stead is dated Nov 2004 but his posts located via members list only go back to 2006??

Bill Gletsos
25-02-2009, 04:46 PM
http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1581

post 11 here of K Stead is dated Nov 2004 but his posts located via members list only go back to 2006??That is because search only shows the last 500 posts and he has more than 500 posts including correspondence game posts.

scrabble777
20-03-2009, 07:05 PM
awesome forum. is there a site that members prefer to play on ?

Kevin Bonham
20-03-2009, 07:15 PM
awesome forum. is there a site that members prefer to play on ?

There is a thread about which servers people prefer to use here: http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=5598.

Also some of us play correspondence games on this site.

Watto
01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
It would be great if we could somehow create chapter headings for this thread dividing up the various interviews. They are well worth reading and of some historical value but 12 pages plus is quite a lot to get through in order to find the various interviews you’re interested in. The only thing I can think of is to split the thread up and put the various interviews into a separate Interview forum in general chess but that may be more work than it’s worth (and some may argue that we have enough forums.)

What do you think, JAK? And the moderators too of course. Is it best left as is or split up?

ER
01-05-2009, 04:22 PM
It would be great if we could somehow create chapter headings for this thread dividing up the various interviews. They are well worth reading and of some historical value but 12 pages plus is quite a lot to get through in order to find the various interviews you’re interested in. The only thing I can think of is to split the thread up and put the various interviews into a separate Interview forum in general chess but that may be more work than it’s worth (and some may argue that we have enough forums.)

What do you think, JAK? And the moderators too of course. Is it best left as is or split up?

Hi Jean, indeed it is cumbersome to search for specific interviews in such an ever increasing volume of work. I was trying to find Bill Jordan's interview the other day to get some information from there and it took me quite a while till I found it.
I do not have any problems if a convenient (for both the mods and the readers) way is found to fix this.
Additionally, as I have pointed out in another case, the "An Interview" thread is open to all who have the opportunity to talk to some chess personality of their area or to juniors who are doing Media Studies and want to sharpen their interview techniques!
Thanks for bringing this up!

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2009, 04:53 PM

Rather than splitting it into a large number of threads, what I propose to do is edit the first post of the thread to add an index for the thread, with links to the first post of each interview.

If this is considered OK I am happy to put the work into going through the thread and indexing it.

Watto
01-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Rather than splitting it into a large number of threads, what I propose to do is edit the first post of the thread to add an index for the thread, with links to the first post of each interview.

If this is considered OK I am happy to put the work into going through the thread and indexing it.
I think that would be an excellent solution. Thanks Kevin.

ER
01-05-2009, 05:56 PM

Yep, I agree with Watto, sounds great to me too and thanks Kev!

Kevin Bonham
01-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Done.

Desmond
15-05-2009, 04:35 PM
The OCD side of me respectfully requests that the Chesschat Tournament #8 subforum be renamed Chess Chat Tournament #8 to follow the same form as the others.

SUGARBEAR
26-05-2009, 09:56 AM
how do i play a game

Kevin Bonham
26-05-2009, 02:31 PM
how do i play a game

If you want to play a game here you can play one in the Correspondence Games section - just start a thread there asking if anyone would like a game and be prepared to wait a while for one (may take a few days).

May also help if you say what level of player you are.

antichrist
26-05-2009, 02:39 PM
how do i play a game

if you are half good join Kaitlin's chess ladder, give her some encouragement, I am the champ there so watch it

antichrist
16-06-2009, 10:24 AM
sorry to be hopeless but I can't find the Thread" What NSW chess has over Victoria chess". I am preparing for my win over The Real Deal.

AzureBlue
24-06-2009, 11:32 AM
sorry to be hopeless but I can't find the Thread" What NSW chess has over Victoria chess".
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=2570&page=8

ElevatorEscapee
07-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Just interested out of intellectual curiosity...

Query:

a) Can Mods or Admins on this forum (ie do they have the power to) access private messages between users?

b) and If a) is possible, would they then use that information for other purposes?

Thanks,

~EE :D

Bill Gletsos
08-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Just interested out of intellectual curiosity...

Query:

a) Can Mods or Admins on this forum (ie do they have the power to) access private messages between users?

b) and If a) is possible, would they then use that information for other purposes?

Thanks,

~EE :DThe admins and mods here cannot read private messages other than their own. Also there is no hack/modification installed on this board to allow that.

We can however see that users are private messaging each other via whois online as it shows their current activity.

Also the site owner cannot use the board software to read private messages, however he could read the database records directly outside of the board software. The site owner has previously stated that he has never done this.

ElevatorEscapee
08-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Thank you for clarifying that Bill. *nods respect* :)

Garvinator
21-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I seem to recall recently justaknight asking that the tournament section be split into the different states. I would like to second this idea. Can this please be done?

Kevin Bonham
21-08-2009, 12:49 AM
It was Davidflude actually. If anyone would like to discuss it further while we're thinking about it, the thread has been moved here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=10544)

Garvinator
13-09-2009, 01:33 AM
How are any of the last 20 or so [moved now - mod] posts about feedback about this site? Seems more like the usual crap being argued about across many threads.

I would really like to see all this cross board crap being kept to one thread and not contaminating other threads like this one.

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2009, 01:42 AM
How are any of the last 20 or so posts about feedback about this site? Seems more like the usual crap being argued about across many threads.

I would really like to see all this cross board crap being kept to one thread and not contaminating other threads like this one.

They were mostly Jaydon complaining about his bans and discussion of the reasons for them (and others responding). To the extent that they were "cross board crap" some of it was relevant since a reason for the deletion of his material

I am, however, strongly considering splitting this thread into two - one part for serious feedback and suggestions and one part for comments/abuse/argument re moderation.

ER
13-09-2009, 04:31 PM
I am, however, strongly considering splitting this thread into two - one part for serious feedback and suggestions and one part for comments/abuse/argument re moderation.

I agree 100%! This is a very serious as well as enjoyable and useful thread. I strongly encourage all chatters to treat it with the respect it deserves and not allow it to disintegrate into some sort of a banal arena of nonsensical small time bickering!
By the way I suggest to all chatters to read through this thread from its very beginning stages (circa 2003). They will find very interesting conversations connected with the development of this forum to what it is and what stands for today!!

Kevin Bonham
14-09-2009, 03:41 AM
Thread has now been split into "Feedback and suggestions" and "Moderation: questions, discussion and completely pointless whinging".

Any questions about:

* whether a post has been deleted
* why something was moderated
* why someone has been banned

as well as suggestions or discussion regarding any of these things should go to the latter. Hopefully that will now make this thread more useful as a general feedback thread.

Garvinator
30-12-2009, 11:04 PM
For the threads about moderation decisions, I think they now need to be separated into two threads. The first thread is dedicated to mods decisions about antichrist, the second thread is for everyone else.

NorthsCC (Axiom)
10-01-2010, 06:00 PM
I tried to send a pvt message but got this :

NorthsCC, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Is there a post requirement to be able to access the pm function ?

Desmond
10-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I tried to send a pvt message but got this :

NorthsCC, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Is there a post requirement to be able to access the pm function ?
I think it's 3 posts so try it now.

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I think it's 3 posts so try it now.

Yes, shortly after a poster has made 3 posts their PM rights are enabled.

NorthsCC (Axiom)
10-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Ah , thank you both .

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Hmm, I wonder who Axiom sent his PMs to. :lol:

Space_Dude
23-04-2010, 04:26 PM
hello!! Would it be too much trouble to add a chess game in the arcade section?? it seems logical since its a chess forum, but there are no chess games in that section...

Just a suggestion,
Tony

Rincewind
23-04-2010, 05:41 PM
hello!! Would it be too much trouble to add a chess game in the arcade section?? it seems logical since its a chess forum, but there are no chess games in that section...

Just a suggestion,
Tony

STML would have to do that. To be fair chess never did make it into video arcades. I can't think of one anyway.

On the Amiga there was a game by Electronic Arts called Archon which had chess like elements. Perhaps there was something like that in arcades.

Kaitlin
23-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Chess is an Art form.... not an amusement :rolleyes:
....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a3bUPCyneI

Saragossa
16-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Can we, please, get an apostrophe in the sub-forum title, "Arbiters Corner"? It doesn't annoy me that there isn't one, I was just thinking about the influence it could have on supple, young minds - the lack of apostrophe is perhaps the reason why web-washer filters this site at LC college.

Kevin Bonham
16-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Done, and hopefully the placement of the apostrophe (indicating that the corner - in this case - is for multiple arbiters) will be educative to many.

arosar
20-10-2010, 09:42 AM
How do I post Youtube videos now? I can't seem to do it anymore.

THis one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miwSljJAzqg&

AR

Kevin Bonham
20-10-2010, 11:01 AM
How do I post Youtube videos now? I can't seem to do it anymore.

THis one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miwSljJAzqg&

AR

miwSljJAzqg&

Like this but replacing { with [ and } with ] :

{youtube}miwSljJAzqg&{/youtube}

What you put between the square brackets is everything after the = sign only.

antichrist
20-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I hope he does not end up another axiom and posts 5000 videos

(I will delete this post tonight)

Garvinator
13-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I have just attempted to make a post with some tournament results and place them in the completed tournaments section, but I get a message saying I do not have sufficient permission.

Any reason for this idea of not allowing posters to post information directly in the completed tournament section.

Rincewind
13-12-2010, 09:18 AM
I have just attempted to make a post with some tournament results and place them in the completed tournaments section, but I get a message saying I do not have sufficient permission.

Any reason for this idea of not allowing posters to post information directly in the completed tournament section.

Which thread are you trying to post in? The forum seems to be open and so you should be able to append results.

Rincewind
13-12-2010, 09:44 AM

I've seen the posts is the upcoming forum and it is now more clear why you were having a problem. While you have permissions to post to threads in the completed tournament sub-forum you cannot post new threads there. As the sticky at the top of the forum states, the procedure is to make new threads in the parent forum with the word "[Finished]" in the title and a moderator will move them shortly.

I assume the new threads you posted the final results in are finished and so I will move them to the Completed sub-forum. ;)

antichrist
02-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I suggest that we have annual elections for positions of moderators as happens on ******.

I nominate BOris as a moderator

Adamski
02-01-2011, 03:28 PM
STML would have to do that. To be fair chess never did make it into video arcades. I can't think of one anyway.

On the Amiga there was a game by Electronic Arts called Archon which had chess like elements. Perhaps there was something like that in arcades.
I remember Archon. I used to play it. Good fun with strategy involved.

antichrist
20-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I have been unable to post in threads but just did manage in off topic, but still cannot in global warming? are things hotting up

Rincewind
21-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I have been unable to post in threads but just did manage in off topic, but still cannot in global warming? are things hotting up

I suspect the problem is on your side of the keyboard.

Igor_Goldenberg
27-01-2011, 08:06 AM
I have been unable to post in threads but just did manage in off topic
That must be telling.

Rhubarb
04-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Why was the NSWCA Australia Day Weekender moved to the "Completed" section before the results were even in?

I'm fielding questions from family and friends "just go to the Upcoming Tournaments" section and they can't find it (yes, winning such a tournament is important to me, my family and friends).

Surely you should allow a couple of days for the results to come in before you shift to the Completed section?

Kevin Bonham
04-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Why was the NSWCA Australia Day Weekender moved to the "Completed" section before the results were even in?

That was just a stuffup on my part because I foolishly assumed that a number of days after Australia Day, a tournament called "Australia Day Weekender" would be long over, and thus moved it earlier than intended. The tournament had in fact finished when I moved it but only by c. 2 hrs.

Apologies for that and congratulations on your win.

Rhubarb
04-02-2011, 09:58 AM
okay

Kaitlin
08-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Australia's Premier Chess Forum needs more DVD nights :)

Oepty
12-02-2011, 01:47 PM
The times displayed seem to be out by about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Anyone else noticing it?
Scott

Bill Gletsos
12-02-2011, 02:31 PM
The times displayed seem to be out by about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Anyone else noticing it?
ScottYes.
I have informed the site owner.

Oepty
12-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Yes.
I have informed the site owner.

Thanks

Kaitlin
23-03-2011, 07:11 PM
... and we need a healthier range of snack foods.

Ian CCC
14-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Quotes from the Victorian Open 2011 thread:

It is good to get quick results and Tornelo can provide that but the absence of Tornelo at any one tournament isn't what frustrates me.

What does frustrate me is the nitpicking one-upmanship and the lack of discussion about the tournament itself. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to wade through this sort of stuff.

I hear you sister. Focus on the tournament for a change, would be interesting to see how that pans out

What she said.

Hear, hear!

My experience is that almost everyone in the chess community just want to work together to run great tournaments and give players a positive experience when playing chess.

I would prefer that the "Upcoming and Current Tournaments" thread was used just for tournament news and results. I am wary of directing juniors and parents to go to the thread for tournament news for fear that they will then be exposed to the sometimes ugly under-current of chess politics and wonder about what they are getting themselves into. I, myself, find it hard to stomach the negativity that is evident in many comments when there are so many positive things going on. Could we please restrict this thread to just tournament news and results and put all the other “commentary” in more appropriate threads where those who want to read it can go.

Garvinator
04-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Is it possible to be able to order posts so that the latest posts are shown first in a thread? Rather than seeing the last post viewed previously, or seeing from the start of a thread.

Kevin Bonham
04-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Is it possible to be able to order posts so that the latest posts are shown first in a thread? Rather than seeing the last post viewed previously, or seeing from the start of a thread.

Apparently so. User CP: Edit Options: Thread Display Mode: change from Linear: Oldest First to Linear: Newest First.

Never tried it myself! [edit: tested, works for me]

Garvinator
04-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Apparently so. User CP: Edit Options: Thread Display Mode: change from Linear: Oldest First to Linear: Newest First.

Bingo!

ER
04-12-2011, 11:38 PM

Or as an alternative try to stand on your head facing a monitor screen! :P :lol:

WhiteElephant
07-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Account Laserlite moved to the Compromised Accounts usergroup (for more details of this usergroup see here.)

It appears, based on evidence from multiple sources including IP evidence, that this account has been operated by banned user Axiom since it resumed posting actively a few months ago.

At this stage we don't know whether the account was given away or hacked but we have emailed the account holder.

What kind of person spends his life trying to get into a place where he is not welcome and then spends many more hours contributing as a poster? It's hard to fathom the mind set of someone like that. A poster on another forum I am on who had a similar pattern of behaviour is currently enjoying the hospitality of a padded cell.

Agent Smith
07-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Account Laserlite moved to the Compromised Accounts usergroup (for more details of this usergroup see here.)

It appears, based on evidence from multiple sources including IP evidence, that this account has been operated by banned user Axiom since it resumed posting actively a few months ago.
I'm sure you have some reason for it, but it seems unlikely to me the guy who links to Dvorak and has quite a few modest interesting posts is Axiom.

Kevin Bonham
07-07-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm sure you have some reason for it, but it seems unlikely to me the guy who links to Dvorak and has quite a few modest interesting posts is Axiom.

I suppose it would also seem unlikely to you that a poster who:

* claimed that they came from Rotterdam, Netherlands to Australia in 2003 and gave a Dutch-sounding name in their opening post
* praised a particular brand of wine in an earlier post
* behaved impeccably apart from being a bit excitable now and then, posting quite a few "modest interesting posts" on various subjects
* played correspondence games without adopting a d3/e4/f3 setup in any of them
* almost never mentioned Alex Jones, ignowars, large striped felines from a part of Russia etc

was Axiom either. But that was account kjenhager, an Axiom hydra that flew under the radar for a few months racking up hundreds of posts before it couldn't help it and gave the game away.

Axiom obviously realises that if he is to escape detection he needs to avoid too obviously sounding like himself. He's certainly obsessive but he isn't completely stupid.

Likewise it would have seemed unlikely that the account "lotlizard" I signed up on the other place would have been me, given that most of its posts were like this:

isn't the nsw ca meant to be a non-profit body?

(that was an entire post), that it praised a post by Phil Donnelly, and that it took its name from a kind of prostitute that frequents long-distance trucker stops, though I'm not sure any of them looked that up.

Unfortunately for Axiom there are some things he has not learned to disguise and so once a suspicion is raised that a given account might be him it is not that hard to check out. To guard against even the faintest chance of innocent coincidence we also email the user through their originally signed up email account.

Kevin Bonham
14-07-2012, 06:36 PM
I add that one of the things about Axiom is that he is so compulsive that when we catch one of his hydras or account infiltrations after a period of no apparent bother from him, he almost always signs up another one, either on the same day or within days.

We banned a short-lived Axiom hydra called greg tsunaki on 22 Feb. The Laserlite account was then active in the shoutbox from 23 Feb. On 7 July we banned it. 12 July he pops up with a new hydra called Deb which made two posts and two shouts (all deleted now) before we realised it was him. We banned that one this morning and he has already tried to sign up another.

Agent Smith
14-07-2012, 10:41 PM
My boss is always trying to shoot the Red Bellied Blacks that occasionally show up. But if they'd just leave them be, they wise up and learn to stay away. But shooting them, another inevitably turns up to replace it 'cos it doesnt know any better.

Of course this doesn't have any relevence to Ax, who you should just shoot 'cos then he definitely won't come back. :evil: :)

Actually - i meant to say, his (?) Laserlite account was quite harmless.
But whatever. :cool:

Kevin Bonham
14-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Actually - i meant to say, his (?) Laserlite account was quite harmless.

Not the point. The point is that if we decide to allow past offenders to post provided they are harmless, then that provides no deterrence to misbehaviour, since all they lose by misbehaving is the right to misbehave. (And, indeed, if that was the case he would not bother behaving himself anyway.)

I'm unsure if you use the "?" to express doubt over Axiom's gender, or doubt over whether Axiom was involved.

If the latter, there is no doubt at our end. Unfortunately we have the usual problem here that some people with access to much less information than us may not realise how strong the evidence is, but we can't provide them with that evidence in case it makes it easier for Axiom to evade our methods of detecting him and banning him in future.

Desmond
15-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Of course this doesn't have any relevence to Ax, who you should just shoot 'cos then he definitely won't come back. :evil: :)Well he has apparently already returned from the dead at least once.

Agent Smith
22-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Hmmm - Those tooltip style "Forum topic abouts" mouse-over popups are annoying. :( They're too big, and they're not even confined to the forum title, but the whole rectangular slot.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
22-07-2012, 11:08 PM
can we please have some more apples in the vending machine ?

thankyou.

Bollard
07-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Can we get something put into a FAQ section that documents the postcount thresholds required to move through the different avatar titles - ie CC Rookie, CC International Master etc?

Kevin Bonham
07-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Currently seems to be:

0 CK Rookie
25 CK Candidate Master
50 CK FIDE Master
100 CK International Master
150 CK Grandmaster

Probably want to think about whether we're ever going to review it before putting up an FAQ about it.

Bollard
07-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks Kevin.

Adamski
10-05-2013, 12:53 AM
I would like to see a new thread for the Parr/ Jones humour that was on Asian zonal thread. I don't think anything was libelous, just off topic. We all deserve a few laughs now and then.

Desmond
10-05-2013, 12:18 PM
I would like to see a new thread for the Parr/ Jones humour that was on Asian zonal thread. I don't think anything was libelous, just off topic. We all deserve a few laughs now and then.
I'd like to see Michael Baron's comments on that and other threads Re titles moved into a special forum than only he can see / or shot into the sun.

Capablanca-Fan
04-09-2013, 08:17 AM
Maybe merge these separate threads on the sad illness then death of Max Fuller http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=14972 and http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=14965 (then delete this post).

Kevin Bonham
04-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Maybe merge these separate threads on the sad illness then death of Max Fuller http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=14972 and http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=14965 (then delete this post).

I'm thinking about that. If no-one objects I will probably do it.

antichrist
05-09-2013, 07:16 PM
what this board has over other chess boards, at least the official ones, is that we have rigorous debate on all issues. Maybe it is because we are OZ I don't know, or maybe because it is not an official association board.

MichaelBaron
07-09-2013, 10:55 AM
what happened to Chesschat? the layout used to be friendlier :(

Kevin Bonham
07-09-2013, 11:32 AM
It's being upgraded to a later version of vBulletin. There are apparently layout redesigns coming. There are clearly a few issues to be sorted (I'm getting logged out a lot) so I recommend patience while the problems get ironed out.

antichrist
07-09-2013, 12:38 PM
is there a shoutbox at the moment? thanks

Kevin Bonham
07-09-2013, 02:10 PM
No shoutbox at the moment. Don't know if old one will be restored or a new one added. (If the latter, I will never know who was #11 in shoutcount behind Dean. Should've nuked him and found out. :) )

ElevatorEscapee
14-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Hawthorn (AFL) supporters and Jeffrey Gibb Kennett will undoubtedly love the new brown and yellow colour scheme.
Schoolboys, however, may take great enjoyment in equating these colours with the result of bodily funcions.

The new brown note colour scheme reminds me of one of the best pieces of wisdom I have ever heard: "Never mix sleeping pills with laxatives".

antichrist
15-09-2013, 08:45 AM
I cant get my shoutbox to re-open after taking KBs advice to look at SB ratings - help-

Kevin Bonham
15-09-2013, 12:10 PM
I cant get my shoutbox to re-open after taking KBs advice to look at SB ratings - help-

I'm afraid you're on your own here. :lol:

Garvinator
15-09-2013, 09:29 PM
With the new forum changes, I am attempting to attach some photos to a post and can not seem to work out how to do it. The process seems to have changed. Also I am trying to delete old files that are showing and can not do that either.

Assistance required.

ER
15-09-2013, 11:45 PM
With the new forum changes, I am attempting to attach some photos to a post and can not seem to work out how to do it. The process seems to have changed. Also I am trying to delete old files that are showing and can not do that either.

Assistance required.

If you want to publish the actual image, use the photobucket website ... this is the River Church across the road from General Grant's Tomb in Upper Western Manhattan from my most recent US trip.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/jak_jak1/100_2389.jpg (http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/jak_jak1/media/100_2389.jpg.html)

For links I usually prefer Picasa, because you can easily transfer a whole album as in here from my visit to Washington DC

https://picasaweb.google.com/117579133234979286240/USAWASHINGTONDC?authkey=Gv1sRgCMytof6R8bmkTw#57522 49340381146386

I don't know what you mean by deleting old files. Do you mean the Forum's files? I don't think you can do that!

skip to my lou
16-09-2013, 12:12 AM

Please post a screenshot of the front page of chess chat.

skip to my lou
16-09-2013, 12:12 AM

Assistance required.

Seems to be working fine for me? Can you take a screenshot of the problematic step and post it via photobucket or similar for now?

antichrist
07-10-2013, 09:26 AM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?14965-RIP-Max-Fuller-(1945-2013)&p=368858#post368858
post 51 here in the game Fuller VS Flatow move 5 White should be Nc3 not F3, thanks

[fixed - mod]

Desmond
11-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Is it possible to make the standard font for hyperlinks different? It used to stand out a lot more.

ER
14-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Is it possible to make the standard font for hyperlinks different? It used to stand out a lot more.

maybe it was the ribbons?

antichrist
23-10-2013, 10:35 AM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?15043-Overseas-title-norm-chasers-2013-Indonesian-Open&p=369522#post369522

Maybe this thread re Indonesian comp could be re-titled somehow to reflect Anton's name and achievements? Or a separate thread with games?

Capablanca-Fan
25-10-2013, 07:50 AM
http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?15043-Overseas-title-norm-chasers-2013-Indonesian-Open&p=369522#post369522

Maybe this thread re Indonesian comp could be re-titled somehow to reflect Anton's name and achievements? Or a separate thread with games?
A very good idea.

Kevin Bonham
25-10-2013, 06:12 PM

We don't normally do either of these whenever an Australian player gets a title norm in a tournament. However if someone wants to put up a thread with games in the games/analysis section that would be fine.

antichrist
11-12-2013, 10:06 AM
I was trying to check out what KB stated about going up the rear end of V bulletin and seeing those proper and fake posters and I found how to change the header of our crummy chess board.

Old 09 Dec 2013, 17:44

How to remove headers from forum listings?
We recently upgraded from vB3 to vB4.

We had a bunch of forums, and some of the forums were set as "categories". This created a nice forum listing (like vbulletin.org). But with the upgrade, each forum now has its own blue header above it - plus the header from the category listing.

Is there a way to just eliminate that blue header?

Here's what the forum looks like now. I want to remove the parts with the red "X".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (135.7 KB, 7 views)
Old Yesterday, 06:14

I figured it out (for anybody who might be interested).

Settings > Options > Forum Listings Display Options

Then set the Depth of Forums to 2, and from the Forum Manager, you have to setup each forum as a subforum of the category.

Kevin Bonham
11-12-2013, 12:29 PM
I was trying to check out what KB stated about going up the rear end of V bulletin and seeing those proper and fake posters and I found how to change the header of our crummy chess board.

Hmmm. I'm not convinced you've found what you think you have (if you're referring to the graphic at the top of the screen), but let's see what others think.

antichrist
15-12-2013, 08:04 PM
A suggestion to keep chatter away from main chess threads: Chess whatever - KB: I will consider reopening it sometime after the start of November December and only if AC has generally reduced the stupidity level of his comments across a wide range of threads and cut back on continually dragging idiotic hobby-horses and reinventions of the wheel into unrelated discussions.

Kevin Bonham
15-12-2013, 08:36 PM
It's been reopened. For now.

antichrist
20-12-2013, 12:51 PM
His royal highness on Dark Side has a policy of culling the shout box each month to save bandwidth, assuming it is good idea we could do the same. Sometimes I have to update site for shouts to download and if it prevents this then why not.

Rincewind
20-12-2013, 12:59 PM
His royal highness on Dark Side has a policy of culling the shout box each month to save bandwidth, assuming it is good idea we could do the same. Sometimes I have to update site for shouts to download and if it prevents this then why not.

I don't see that pruning the shoutbox will impact the problem of the shoutbox not updating.

We have occasionally had to prune the shoutbox in the past due to performance issues but to my knowledge this has not been an issue since the upgrade.

Kevin Bonham
25-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Moderation Notice

antichrist is warned to desist from using this thread for moderation questions.

antichrist
06-01-2014, 02:07 AM
I don't see that pruning the shoutbox will impact the problem of the shoutbox not updating.

We have occasionally had to prune the shoutbox in the past due to performance issues but to my knowledge this has not been an issue since the upgrade.

sometimes, like earlier tonight, my shouts takes time to post, actually minutes. Though when they are posted they appear all the same time, maybe opposite to increment time but accumulated time. On other occasions they do not appear at all. I hate to deprive the board of my gems.

Keong Ang
13-01-2014, 05:22 AM
Don't know if this was brought up before.
The chess board photo on the banner is set up wrong.

Pieces and pawns are set up along ranks in the start position. Not files as in the photo.
Whoever set up the chess board for the photo set the pieces up along the side of the board.:eek:

Is this some kind of "what's wrong with the photo" test? :hmm:

Rincewind
13-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Don't know if this was brought up before.
The chess board photo on the banner is set up wrong.

It was within the first week of the new theme being implemented. See: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?14987-Site-Maintenance&p=367667&viewfull=1#post367667

Perhaps it has fallen between the cracks.

ElevatorEscapee
04-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Would one of the moderators/administrators please update the entry fee information in my initial post of the Ballarat Begonia 2014 thread?

I had quoted the entry fees of $90 adult and $70 concession.

However, this information has now been updated and these fees are actually the “early bird” rates (if paid by March 5th). (This information wasn't available to me at the time of the original posting).
Entry fees if paid after March 5th are actually $100 adult and $80 concession.

Thank you.

Rincewind
04-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Now done please PM me if there is something not quite right.

ER
05-02-2014, 04:03 PM
... (This information wasn't available to me at the time of the original posting)...

that's what happens when people make announcements by proxy! It can happen to elections too! :P Is it that hard for Kevin and Pat to use the forums and/or facebook for their announcements?

ElevatorEscapee
11-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Now done please PM me if there is something not quite right.

Thanks Rincewind! :)

ElevatorEscapee
11-02-2014, 08:01 PM
that's what happens when people make announcements by proxy! It can happen to elections too! :P Is it that hard for Kevin and Pat to use the forums and/or facebook for their announcements?
Um, maybe you should ask them when you visit the tournament.... apparently, I'm only a proxy! ;)

Ian Rout
14-02-2014, 08:57 AM
I suggest amending the title of the new NZ-specific Olympiad thread to include a reference to NZ, in preparation for when the Aus equivalent starts, to differentiate them on the New Posts list.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
19-02-2014, 09:28 AM
I would like to propose that the limit placed on sending multiple identical communications or "spam" be lifted from 5 to 192 so that I may be able to communicate the good word of feldman to the masses without the tedium derived from repeating the whole process 39 times.

Patrick Byrom
04-07-2015, 03:59 PM
I would like to suggest having a separate sub-forum for Australian chess obituaries. It seems appropriate to have them all together in the one place, as they do in newspapers.

antichrist
04-07-2015, 05:02 PM
I would like to suggest having a separate sub-forum for Australian chess obituaries. It seems appropriate to have them all together in the one place, as they do in newspapers.

I was assured by BillG "Nope, Nope Nope" a few years ago when I pressed the issue

Capablanca-Fan
06-07-2015, 07:58 AM

That seems like a reasonable idea.

Basil
06-07-2015, 10:43 PM
Yep.

antichrist
06-07-2015, 11:43 PM
Yep.

As your hero Tony A would say: what part of N O P E you don't understand?

antichrist
18-07-2015, 09:26 AM
If you press the issue it could take place over Bills dead body - just using the expression - pun intended not for real

antichrist
21-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Thread titles like A New Chess Club for wop wop after a while become redundant and deceptive and as the wop wop part does not appear in thread title on front page I think there may be a new club for timbuktoo but is still only wop wop. Maybe New should be changed after a month or so

Kevin Bonham
21-07-2015, 11:05 AM
Thread titles like A New Chess Club for wop wop after a while become redundant and deceptive and as the wop wop part does not appear in thread title on front page I think there may be a new club for timbuktoo but is still only wop wop. Maybe New should be changed after a month or so

The thread starter can request a change whenever they like and I will change it; but I reckon it's reasonable to keep "new" in the title for, say, a few years.

antichrist
07-08-2015, 10:57 AM
I thought I had a thread World War 1 and 2 but cannot find? thanksany help

Kevin Bonham
07-08-2015, 11:20 AM
I thought I had a thread World War 1 and 2 but cannot find? thanksany help

Good way to find threads if you know the title is click on Advanced Search, and then when you enter words from the title, choose Search Titles Only from the dropdown, replacing Search Entire Posts.

I searched for "world war" and found it:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?12475-World-War-1-amp-2

antichrist
07-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Maybe war posts in Nell-Van-De-Graaf-Weekender can be moved to non chess thread

Capablanca-Fan
23-09-2015, 03:50 AM
The thread title Nakamura-Nepomniatchi incidents in 2015 World Cup (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16108-Nakamura-Nepomniatchi-incidents-in-2015-World-Cup&p=401080#post401080) should be corrected to the Latin spelling that he uses: Nepomniachtchi, the French transliteration of Непо́мнящий. The English transliteration would usually be Nepomnyashchi. This also explains why his first name Ян is written as Ian rather than Yan.

Also, more minor, the hyphen should be an endash (–) to make it clear they are different people not one person with a hyphenated surname.

Rincewind
23-09-2015, 07:50 AM
The thread title Nakamura-Nepomniatchi incidents in 2015 World Cup (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16108-Nakamura-Nepomniatchi-incidents-in-2015-World-Cup&p=401080#post401080) should be corrected to the Latin spelling that he uses: Nepomniachtchi, the French transliteration of Непо́мнящий. The English transliteration would usually be Nepomnyashchi. This also explains why his first name Ян is written as Ian rather than Yan.

Also, more minor, the hyphen should be an endash (–) to make it clear they are different people not one person with a hyphenated surname.

I've changed the title. The endash is mildly problematic as there is not usually a key on a standard keyboard that produces it and so such a standard is unlikely to be followed on an online forum. But I've added spaces around the hyphen which achieves the same purpose.

Capablanca-Fan
23-09-2015, 08:43 AM
I've changed the title. The endash is mildly problematic as there is not usually a key on a standard keyboard that produces it and so such a standard is unlikely to be followed on an online forum. But I've added spaces around the hyphen which achieves the same purpose.

Thanks, that solves all the problems. In case anyone is interested, endash (–) is ATL-0150 and endash (—) ALT-151.

Capablanca-Fan
07-02-2016, 09:01 AM
Proposed thread split for American politics

I suggest a thread split on the American Politics thread. At present, there have been a number of polls conducted, but because of the interest and importance of this topic, I suggest splitting off the polls and making new threads:

Who would you prefer as Republican nominee for 2016 (NOT: who do you think will win the nomination)? [May be unnecessary because that poll question has been up for a while).
Who would you prefer as Democratic nominee for 2016 (NOT: who do you think will win the nomination)?
Who do you think will win the Republican nominee for 2016 (NOT: who would you like to win)?
Who do you think will win the Democratic nominee for 2016 (NOT: who would you like to win)?

To avoid thread multiplication, these individual threads could be updated with similar polls in 2020.

True, the Dem nomination threads might be a little bare or redundant, but so far it's an extremely close two-horse race.

Later:

Who do you think will win the 2016 Presidential election (NOT, who would you prefer to win)?
Who would you prefer to win the 2016 Presidential election (NOT, do you think will win)?

Kevin Bonham
07-02-2016, 08:01 PM
Proposed thread split for American politics

I suggest a thread split on the American Politics thread. At present, there have been a number of polls conducted, but because of the interest and importance of this topic, I suggest splitting off the polls and making new threads:

Who would you prefer as Republican nominee for 2016 (NOT: who do you think will win the nomination)? [May be unnecessary because that poll question has been up for a while).
Who would you prefer as Democratic nominee for 2016 (NOT: who do you think will win the nomination)?
Who do you think will win the Republican nominee for 2016 (NOT: who would you like to win)?
Who do you think will win the Democratic nominee for 2016 (NOT: who would you like to win)?

To avoid thread multiplication, these individual threads could be updated with similar polls in 2020.

True, the Dem nomination threads might be a little bare or redundant, but so far it's an extremely close two-horse race.

Later:

Who do you think will win the 2016 Presidential election (NOT, who would you prefer to win)?
Who would you prefer to win the 2016 Presidential election (NOT, do you think will win)?

Splitting the existing content into new threads would be much too much work. However, any member who wants to start new threads in order to start their own polls on these issues (other than the first) is very welcome.

Sir Cromulent Sparkles
21-02-2016, 09:07 PM
To whom it may concern, can we please change the Ethanol threads title to something more appropriate since the current title implies that there is indeed some sort of discussion pertaining to ethanol when there is clearly none of the sort.

All that my participation in the thread has involved is exposing Capafans deluded hyopcricy in thinking that he is in a position to rail against ethanol fuels "corrupt subsidies".

One suggestion for a more appropriate thread title would be "A study in hypocricy : The lamentable ways of Capafan."

Cheers,
D.M.

Capablanca-Fan
07-07-2016, 03:26 AM
The thread http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16490-Will-Illumzhinov-face-impeachment-in-Baku&p=412341#post412341 should correct the spelling of the name: Ilyumzhinov.

JacekK
02-11-2016, 08:07 AM
Wondering if it would be a good idea to have a 2017 tournament "master list" thread in the tournaments forum? List all the tournaments by date and/or club in one post.

Would be an easy way for everyone to plan their chess year, but also for chess clubs to advertise their calendars. in one easy spot.

Kevin Bonham
02-11-2016, 09:07 PM
Wondering if it would be a good idea to have a 2017 tournament "master list" thread in the tournaments forum? List all the tournaments by date and/or club in one post.

That's an interesting suggestion. I'll have a think about how workable it is and whether there is any chance I would have the time to maintain it. I think it would require one or more admins repeatedly editing the opening post to put the tournaments in order with links to them all. Possibly with a breakdown into weekend vs multi-week events?

Capablanca-Fan
20-11-2016, 04:38 AM
FIDE World Champs Carlsen vs Karjakin, New York, 11-30 Nov 2016

The FIDE could be dropped from the thread title. This is the real lineal world championship that began with Steinitz. The so-called FIDE world champions are not recognized as real world champions by any serious player.

Kevin Bonham
20-11-2016, 05:06 PM
FIDE World Champs Carlsen vs Karjakin, New York, 11-30 Nov 2016

The FIDE could be dropped from the thread title. This is the real lineal world championship that began with Steinitz. The so-called FIDE world champions are not recognized as real world champions by any serious player.

There is probably a serious player somewhere who recognises them but the consensus is that they don't count, though on this board, for instance, some people have argued that Topalov was a legitimate World Champion.

I started the thread and put "FIDE" in the title probably partly because that is the actual event name and partly out of force of habit of doing the same in the case of the Women's title, where the lineal tradition has fallen to bits and where the title is meaningless every time it is conducted as a knockout.

I'll think about how I want to label threads for lineal World Champs matches that are also FIDE World Champs matches in the future but I won't be imposing any view on this on other posters via editing of titles. On the other hand if a thread is started titled "Women's World Championships" and referring to a running of the FIDE title it will probably be edited to include the word "FIDE", until such time as the Women's cycle is uncontentiously accepted as credible (whether lineal or not).

Capablanca-Fan
21-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Please change the year to 2017 in Oceania 2016 New Zealand Players (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16719-Oceania-2016-New-Zealand-Players&p=419847#post419847).

Desmond
28-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Suggest renaming thread http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17312-2018-Queensland-Championships-any-information-available&p=440738#post440738 to
2018 Queensland Championships Sept 27 - Oct 1