PDA

View Full Version : tournaments at end of 2008-early 2009.

Davidflude
12-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Does anyone know what is happening with the Australian Open and the Australian Junior late in 2008- early in 2009.

With the big tournament in New Zealand early in 2009 plus a heap of Gm's at the Doeberl cup it looks to me that If the dates and venue for the open are announced early enough we may get some strong visiting players.

Please could someone who knows post dates and venues.

Bill Gletsos
13-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Information on the 2009 Australian Junior is here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=7760)

No bid has currently been made for the 2008-2009 Australian Open.

Garvinator
13-03-2008, 01:27 AM
Information on the 2009 Australian Junior is here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=7760)

No bid has currently been made for the 2008-2009 Australian Open.
So I take it from this that there is not a combined Open/Junior bid to be run in conjunction.

Davidflude
13-03-2008, 04:45 PM
So I take it from this that there is not a combined Open/Junior bid to be run in conjunction.

Have the conditions of the open been circulated and quotations sought.

Davidflude
13-03-2008, 05:30 PM
The Australian Junior runs from 2.1.2009- 13.1.2009. The Queenstown open in New Zealand runs from 15.1.2009 to 24.1.2009

Any junior playing in both is facing a very small window for air travel. I have not checked out flights in detail but I have not found a direct Adelaide Queenstown
flight on 14.1.2009. The alternatives are not pleasant even if airline connections can be made.

Adelaide Melbourne - Melbourne Christchurch - Christchurch to Queenstown

So make your bookings early.

Aaron Guthrie
13-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Any junior playing in both is facing a very small window for air travel. I have not checked out flights in detail but I have not found a direct Adelaide Queenstown flight on 14.1.2009.Are there ever any flights from anywhere in Australia direct to Queenstown?

Davidflude
13-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Yes, but not every day of the week. They are the way to go if you are skiing Queenstown or Wanaka. I have done this. It is cheaper and faster. Anyone who is planning to play the Queenstown Open should check these flights carefully. One really tourist thing to do is to fly Australia Christchurch and then take the leisurely bus trip the inland route from Christchurch to Queenstown and then fly back direct.

But make your bookings early.

Davidflude
13-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Yes, but not every day of the week. They are the way to go if you are skiing Queenstown or Wanaka. I have done this. It is cheaper and faster. Anyone who is planning to play the Queenstown Open should check these flights carefully. One really tourist thing to do is to fly Australia Christchurch and then take the leisurely bus trip the inland route from Christchurch to Queenstown and then fly back direct.

But make your bookings early.

In winter you have direct flights at weekends between Sydney and Queenstown
and Brisbane and queenstown.

Afitz
13-03-2008, 08:34 PM
I know i have flown back direct to Melbourne from Queenstown so i presume you could go the other way too if you wanted to :hmm:

Good on the organisers of the juniors for not starting on the 1st! Analyzing kids games and hangovers should never be mixed :lol:

Denis_Jessop
14-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Have the conditions of the open been circulated and quotations sought.

The following appeared in the ACF Newsletter no.406 of 13 July 2007:

ACF EVENTS 2008-2009

The ACF is also inviting expressions of interest from State Associations and others wishing to conduct one or more of the following events on behalf of the ACF:

- 2008/9 Australian Open Championship - normally late December/early January;

- 2009 Australian Junior Championship - normally in January.
- Note: the Australian Schools Teams Championships will be held in South Australia as agreed in Canberra last December.

There were follow-up paras in the issues of 27 July and 17 August.

At that stage there was a tentative proposal to hold the Open but that later fell through.

That's right. In fact the juniors is also being held early to avoid a clash with Queenstown. There is no interest in holding the Open at the usual time (or even at any other time) of which I am currently aware.

SA, having been allotted the Juniors, CV was given the option of holding the Australian Schools Teams Championships 2008 (which the SAJCL had already agreed to run) but turned it down for no express reason. So the SACA/SAJCL is preparing a formal proposal to run it as originally planned.

DJ

Garvinator
14-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Looks like the open is dead in the water then.

Duff McKagan
21-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Any news on the Elwood Bendigo tourney at the end of the year also?

Igor_Goldenberg
31-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Any news on the Elwood Bendigo tourney at the end of the year also?
Not yet, but we'll get on to it.

pax
31-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Looks like the open is dead in the water then.
Why?

Igor_Goldenberg
31-03-2008, 10:07 AM
From what I know, Australian open was in decline for quite some time, and I haven't heard about anyone interested in organising it for 2009.
Also having played in the last three championship/open, I started to understand the rational of some players to play in the championship and skip the open.

MichaelBaron
31-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Majority of the nations have national championships as annual rather than bi-annual events:hmm: . May be not a bad idea for Australia to try :doh: .

Adamski
31-03-2008, 04:52 PM
In winter you have direct flights at weekends between Sydney and Queenstown
and Brisbane and queenstown.From Sydney anyway, one can fly direct to Dunedin on Freedom Air (offshooot of Air NZ), twice a week I think, and then travel by road to Q'town. That's what I did to play in the Rapid for the last Q'town Classic (but was insufficiently prepared and lost rating points, though I had a great holiday in my home province of Otago). And the road trip from Dunedin to Q'town is an excellent one for scenery. Would like to do the same next year if work commitments permit.