PDA

View Full Version : Problem's with the solutions in problem books

Bereaved
17-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Hi Everyone,

I was going through 1001 Brilliant ways to Checkmate by Fred Reinfeld today and yesterday, and was a bit puzzled by some of his solutions.

For example ( white to move )

r1b1qb1r/1p4pp/pn1P1n2/4N2k/8/1Q6/PP2NPPP/R1B2RK1 w - - 0 1

this was in a chapter about Queen Sacrifices

The problem was that I found a mate in three and kept the queen; the solution featured a mate in four, with the queen donated.

Then later on I found this position ( black to move )

r3kb2/ppp5/7r/3p4/4p2q/5n1P/PPPP1PP1/RNBQ1R1K b - - 0 1

Which gave a solution in 12 moves ( well 11 in the solution which overlooked a queen sacrifice desperado) and yet I found a mate in 6 and kept my queen.

And finally we have this position ( black to move )

6k1/pppq2pp/8/2bp2r1/8/2N2r1P/PPPR1PPK/4QR2 b - - 0 1

Where I found a mate in 3, yet kept the queen, and the solution wished for a mate in 4.

Has anyone else encountered this form of difficulty with these problem books or any others?

I recall at some time when Fischer was challenged for not mating more quickly in a game that he said, " I had seen this one" or words to that effect.

Is this the same story but in print? I would welcome any feedback

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

PS will post the solutions in a couple of days, if required

Capablanca-Fan
17-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I was going through 1001 Brilliant ways to Checkmate by Fred Reinfeld today and yesterday, and was a bit puzzled by some of his solutions.

For example ( white to move )

1. Ng3+ Kh4 2. Nf3+ Kg4 3. h3# v 1. Qf3+ Bg4 2. Qxg4+ Nxg4 3. Ng3+ Kh4 4. Nf3#.

The problem was that I found a mate in three and kept the queen; the solution featured a mate in four, with the queen donated.

Then later on I found this position ( black to move )

r3kb2/ppp5/7r/3p4/4p2q/5n1P/PPPP1PP1/RNBQ1R1K b - - 0 1

Which gave a solution in 12 moves ( well 11 in the solution which overlooked a queen sacrifice desperado) and yet I found a mate in 6 and kept my queen.
The simple 1... Qg4 leaves White with no good defence against 2... Rxh3+ mating.

The "solution" presumably begins with 1... Qxh3+, e.g. 2. gxh3 Rxh3+ 3. Kg2 Rh2+ 4. Kg3 Bd6+ 5. Kg4 ...

And finally we have this position ( black to move )

6k1/pppq2pp/8/2bp2r1/8/2N2r1P/PPPR1PPK/4QR2 b - - 0 1

Where I found a mate in 3, yet kept the queen, and the solution wished for a mate in 4.
Sure looks like it. 1... Rxg2+ 2. Kxg2 Qxh3+ 3. Kg1 Rg3# v. 1. ... Qxh3+ 2. gxh3 Bd6+ 3. Qe5 Bxe5+ 4. Kh1 Rxh3#

Has anyone else encountered this form of difficulty with these problem books or any others?
Yeah. But these Reinfeld books are still very good for tactical training.

I recall at some time when Fischer was challenged for not mating more quickly in a game that he said, " I had seen this one" or words to that effect.

Is this the same story but in print? I would welcome any feedback
Not sure, but Chernev advised in Logical Chess that if a clear way to victory is found, don't bother searching for another one; "Leave the brilliancies to Alekhine and Keres". And Kotov in Think Like a Grandmaster advised the same, giving an example where Keres himself went wrong in a crucial game against Filip, when his adjournment analysis found five ways to win, but he picked a sixth choice which lost.

Aaron Guthrie
17-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Has anyone else encountered this form of difficulty with these problem books or any others?Yes, but I don't consider these errors a big deal. I quite like finding the errors, as long as they are small and not many.

Solo
13-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Looking at this thread for the first time. I did Chernev's problem books when I was much younger, and always found that there were many ways to win the positions apart from the intended combination.

I recommend Blokh's books these days for combinations. I thought the first edition was the best, a green one. There are at least 3 other combo books by him now which are all very good. They are good because the combo is the only way to win (or draw) and a lot of the positions have a combo for each player. Also the level of difficulty is very clear and accurate.

Samson
13-09-2008, 10:22 AM

Perhaps because it said in chapter about Queen Sacrifices? My solution in white below:

1.Qf7+ Qxf7 2.Ng3+ Kh4 3.Nf3+ Kg4 4.h3 checkmate!