PDA

View Full Version : Mental Chess Season 2 starting FEB 08

civmeup
10-01-2008, 04:26 AM
Season 2 starting Feb 08. register your interest at www.mentalchess.com.au to get on board!

Congratulations to the winner of our inaugural season

:owned: :clap: ANDREW FITZPATRICK :clap: :owned:

Mental Chess Australia is a fairly new club, having just completed our first season. The aim of the club is to create a friendly, relaxed, and social environment in which to play the mental form of the game.

We're based in Melbourne, Australia.

No Boards, No Clocks, One game per month. I email you your opponent's contact details at the start of each month, and you get in contact and tee up a time and place that's convenient to you both. Once you've played the game, email me and let me know the result.

At the moment we've only got 3 people on board, so I'm hoping for a few more to sign up for the 2008 season! Jump on board, it's fun!

We've got a $35 annual membership fee, which at the moment is all spent on getting the word out about the club. Once we've got a few more members, I'll start introducing trophies and other prizes.

Hopefully you're reading this because you're interested, so register your interest at www.mentalchess.com.au, and I'll get back to you shortly with your first opponent!

Kruupy
10-01-2008, 07:47 AM
this idea sounds great!, I would love to attend though I live in Hobart.
This may be a silly question but would improving your mental chess be worth the time if the goal was to improve your chess ability? - I guess it would help you in the visualisation of lines?

Capablanca-Fan
10-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Why the renaming of what is widely known as blindfold chess?

Afitz
10-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Who cares what it's called. It's a fun way to challenge yourself against others or even yourself if you want to just test what you can visualise.

With meeting points being negotiable you can meet up, meet new people and have a coffee whilst playing the game. Nice and easy :)

Capablanca-Fan
11-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Who cares what it's called. It's a fun way to challenge yourself against others or even yourself if you want to just test what you can visualise.
I don't even know what I can visualize but it must be something http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/93289

With meeting points being negotiable you can meet up, meet new people and have a coffee whilst playing the game. Nice and easy :)
Might be a thought. How many games do you play?

civmeup
11-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Jono, we play 1 game per month. That's not a great drain on people's schedules, so most people should be able to find the time.

Kruupy, submit your details anyway, that way if anyone else from Hobart is into it I'll hook you two up. I shouldn't have specified that we're in melbourne, there's no need to localise. Of course I won't sting you for the membership if we don't get anyone else there.

Call me biased but I agree with Afitz, the name really isn't important. But hey to be technical, there's no need for a blindfold here. You can meet in a park, and have a game of chess while enjoying the views. Just the way I like it.