PDA

View Full Version : Dear Forum, Some help please if possible,

Centre13
19-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Trying to replicate a game (a famous one I think). White wins in circa eight moves using its Knights. The third last move (I think) involves the white Knight moving and exposing its Queen, which is taken by black's Bishop. The next white move is Check by the Knight, black King moves and then Mate with the other white Knight. The opening was a conventional one (p-k4 by both players). Many thanks.

Ian Rout
19-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Trying to replicate a game (a famous one I think). White wins in circa eight moves using its Knights. The third last move (I think) involves the white Knight moving and exposing its Queen, which is taken by black's Bishop. The next white move is Check by the Knight, black King moves and then Mate with the other white Knight. The opening was a conventional one (p-k4 by both players). Many thanks.
This sounds like Legal's mate, except that the penultimate move is check with the Bishop. I don't have the moves to hand but you should be able to google it if someone else doesn't post them shortly.

Spiny Norman
19-12-2007, 09:42 AM
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bc4 a6 4.Nc3 Bg4 5.Nxe5 Bxd1 6.Bxf7+ Ke7 7.Nd5#

Centre13
21-12-2007, 04:41 AM
That has 'kniggled' me on and off for some time now (althought perhaps not as much as it did Legal's opponent). I came across it years ago in a very old chess book of my father's which was regretably mislaid. Thanks again.

Garvinator
21-12-2007, 05:22 AM
Interesting that Legal's mate gets mentioned when it is discussed in Dan Heisman's latest chesscafe article.

http://www.chesscafe.com/heisman/heisman.htm