PDA

View Full Version : Thinking in 5 0 Blitz

lochness88
10-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi,

After realizing I am improving with standard games, my blitz is quite terrible so my question is how are you supposed to think in blitz? Obviously you can only do so much in 5 minutes but I would be interested to hear how members process their thoughts.

Rincewind
10-12-2007, 08:33 PM
After realizing I am improving with standard games, my blitz is quite terrible so my question is how are you supposed to think in blitz? Obviously you can only do so much in 5 minutes but I would be interested to hear how members process their thoughts.

I tend to do rather poorly at blitz. However, I do better when I have a good time and not worry too much about the result. Also if you feel yourself getting interested in the position then you will lose on time. Just make some reasonable move! Never give up and always look for the swindle. :)

Desmond
10-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Keep improving your standard game. Blitz means nothing.

Kevin Bonham
10-12-2007, 10:03 PM
My attitude when it comes to managing my time in blitz is that the opponent's time is not important to me so long as I have enough time for the game myself (unless I am losing so badly that only a win on time is possible.) If my opponent is bashing moves out without thinking, I do not mind having say 2:30 to 4:30 in the middlegame provided I have a very strong position. I back myself to win any clearly won position where I still have two minutes on the clock.

In most positions in blitz the idea is not to play a good move slowly but to play a move that is not terrible quickly. One of the most important things here is to develop a good endgame so that you can play most basic endgames without thinking very much. That way you will not feel under as much pressure to get a won position early.

If you get into a pure pawn ending and still have a few minutes left then slow down and calculate it. If there is a possibility of going into one and you don't have time to calculate it, avoid it.

I'm expecting 5 0 blitz to become pretty outmoded over time with 4 2 blitz replacing it. Probably the latter is better for your chess, to the limited extent that blitz is any use at all.

Basil
11-12-2007, 06:26 PM
I tend to do rather poorly at blitz. However, I do better when I have a good time and not worry too much about the result. Also if you feel yourself getting interested in the position then you will lose on time. Just make some reasonable move! Never give up and always look for the swindle. :)
There's always the simply outrageous that looks as if it could be something, but on closer inspection is absolutely horrendous! The ability to baffle with bullsh*t should never be under-estimated! ;)

Denis_Jessop
11-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Don't worry. Some players are good at blitz and others are bad and many are in between. I think that this is an area of the game wher you are either naturally good or you aren't. It involves not only quick sight of the board, and quick thinking but also excellent hand-eye coordination so that you don't knock the pieces everywhere or press the clock of the adjoining game (as has been done).

For the record, I am passable at normal time limits but hopeless at blitz with a record of usually scoring one point, no matter how big the tournament, and no more, but possibly less, than one. And I have been playing club chess on and off for more than 50 years.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
11-12-2007, 07:56 PM
I was much worse at blitz than normal chess for a long long time. Curiously enough my blitz strength seems to have caught up now in my mid-30s; you might expect blitz strength compared to normal strength to be all downhill from age about 20, but evidently not.