PDA

View Full Version : Howie's Parramatta Adventure

Basil
01-12-2007, 10:21 PM
It's gonna be hot and wet. Wet and hot! Dang!

This is the tale of an inept man's predetermined failed quest to wrest the U1600 Aus Champs gong from all-comers around the country. Join me, won't you? It should be ... ummm ... what's the word? ... banal.

Basil
01-12-2007, 10:25 PM
First order of business:

I'm setting up an ear-piece and video feed in my tie for Parra. Looking for a talent to give me the moves a la James Bond (Goldfinger I think - From Russia With Love according to our resident trivia buff) any takers?

bergil
01-12-2007, 10:29 PM

This is the tale of an inept man's predetermined failed quest to wrest the U1600 Aus Champs gong from all-comers around the country. Join me, won't you? It should be ... ummm ... what's the word? ... banal.Should I have a mop and bucket in the venue for ya? :P

I suppose you'd like a nice trophy as well when you win? :hmm:

Basil
01-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Mop and bucket for this thread, more like. You can order a tiny little egg-cup for the winner and a voodoo doll of the winner for me! :P

Basil
01-12-2007, 11:18 PM
This is me getting jiggy wid it, spreading the Christmas cheer! I should still be going by the time I get to NSW. Enjoy! or throw up - whateva!

http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1127389649

Garrett
02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Good luck to you Howie.

I will be following the results with interest.

Desmond
03-12-2007, 07:31 PM
First order of business:

I'm setting up an ear-piece and video feed in my tie for Parra. Looking for a talent to give me the moves a la James Bond (Goldfinger I think - From Russia With Love according to our resident trivia buff) any takers?I could give you a cuff to the back of the head every time you make a weak move. If you think it will help ;)

bergil
03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
I could give you a cuff to the back of the head every time you make a weak move. If you think it will help ;)Yes I think it may. ;) Howie you should bring him as your coach! :hmm:

Basil
10-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Dear Diary:

Today I agreed to a token $100 appearance fee despite insistence from the organisers for a considerably higher fee. There is still doubt as to whether the organisers wish for me to do my dancing banana routine at the closing ceremony.

Metro
10-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I suppose you'd like a nice trophy as well when you win? :hmm:

Can I have 25/1 odds on Howie winning the Minor?

bergil
11-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Dear Diary:

Today I agreed to a token $100 appearance fee despite insistence from the organisers for a considerably higher fee. There is still doubt as to whether the organisers wish for me to do my dancing banana routine at the closing ceremony.Yes you can go ahead and do your famous dancing banana routine as the closing act. :uhoh:

25-1 on?

Garvinator
11-12-2007, 10:03 AM

25-1 on?
Bergil, I think Met is missing a comma there, I think it should be: Can I have 25/1 odds, on Howie winning the Minor? Of course I am sure you already knew this ;) If I was Met, I would be asking for more than 25/1, seems a bit short to me :P

Basil
18-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I could give you a cuff to the back of the head every time you make a weak move. If you think it will help ;)
I'm not sure if it will help, but a cuff to the back of my head seldom requires a good reason :doh:

Basil
18-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Now at the risk of setting hearts a fluttering, I am pleased to announce that I will be available to shack up with one or more of you unsavoury characters for three nights during the champs.

Stop it, stop it ... I am but human and there's no need to get yourself into a tizz at the delicious prospect of sharing digs avec moi.

If prepared to put up (with) one Gunner from Briz, please PM or post here or call 1-800-I CANT BELIEVE MY LUCK.

-----------------------------------

OK, let's try that again. I will be spending most nights with family while in NSW, but for three nights (likely towards the end of the comp - will post back when I know which ones) I will be fending for myself. If anyone is interested in share accom, please let me know.

Cheers
Howard

Metro
18-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Now at the risk of setting hearts a fluttering, I am pleased to announce that I will be available to shack up with one or more of you unsavoury characters for three nights during the champs.

Stop it, stop it ... I am but human and there's no need to get yourself into a tizz at the delicious prospect of sharing digs avec moi.

If prepared to put up (with) one Gunner from Briz, please PM or post here or call 1-800-I CANT BELIEVE MY LUCK.

-----------------------------------

OK, let's try that again. I will be spending most nights with family while in NSW, but for three nights (likely towards the end of the comp - will post back when I know which ones) I will be fending for myself. If anyone is interested in share accom, please let me know.

Cheers
Howard

Are you serious about the telephone number?
Incidentally,I think I can get 66/1 on you winning Minor;)
Hope it don't hurt too much:lol:

Basil
23-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Righto girls. Looking for a good time (digs actually) on

Thurs 4th
Fri 5th
Thurs 10th

The best I have so far is a box under the bridge. Anyone prepared to shack/ offer digs, please PM or phone 1-800-WORSTNIGHTMARE.COM

Basil
23-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Are you serious about the telephone number?
Oh yeah.

Incidentally,I think I can get 66/1 on you winning Minor;)
Save your money. If I'm not in the zone, all odds are worthless. If I am in the zone, I'm unbackable!

Metro
23-12-2007, 07:45 PM

This is the tale of an inept man's predetermined failed quest to wrest the U1600 Aus Champs gong from all-comers around the country. Join me, won't you? It should be ... ummm ... what's the word? ... banal.

You wouldn't be an egocentric Anglo-Australian would you?:lol:

Basil
23-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Well, in three words, yes, yes & yes.

Basil
24-12-2007, 12:08 AM
How far from the playing venue is The Marriott?

bergil
24-12-2007, 06:16 AM
How far from the playing venue is The Marriott?1.3 kms for a car and just over 1km walking.
The Marriott is on Anderson Street turn right 50-60m to Parkes Street
Turn left on Parkes Street 35m to Church Street
Turn Right on Church Street walk about 600m to Macquarie Street
Turn Left Macquarie Street 250m to the RSL Club

Once there do the hookie Pookie preferably without the tuba's

ww_7W9CWLlg

Basil
29-12-2007, 10:41 PM
My secret Parra weapon. I plan on humming it at barely perceptible audio levels OTB. I figure the juniors will think I'm senile (and not without some justification), while the adults will get the irits. All while sporting my Hipster Doofus T-shirt. Can't fail. Well, it's the best plan I've got so far.

tkWqJxly7C8

Basil
29-12-2007, 11:12 PM
I wish to nominate what probably ranks as the second worst piece of copy I have ever read. I have suspicions that Burgess is responsible!

To view it in it's natural habitat, one may locate it here (http://www.parramattachess.org/auschamps2008/index.html) in the final paragraph of the welcome message. But for the rodently challenged, I present it below in all its glory. It reads:

Tournament will start in xyz days days so get your entries in before you get check-mated!!!

Absolutely horrendous. Take 10 HCDs!

bergil
30-12-2007, 03:31 PM
I wish to nominate what probably ranks as the second worst piece of copy I have ever read. I have suspicions that Burgess is responsible!

To view it in it's natural habitat, one may locate it here (http://www.parramattachess.org/auschamps2008/index.html) in the final paragraph of the welcome message. But for the rodently challenged, I present it below in all its glory. It reads:

Absolutely horrendous. Take 10 HCDs!I am happy to say that it was Kaushik Saksena who did it. ;)

bergil
31-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Minor Field

State Player ACF Rating
1 NSW Eddy Katnic 1599
2 NSW Abel Urdanegui 1591
3 NSW David Evans 1571
4 NSW Anthony Villanueva 1551
5 QLD Howard Duggan 1524
6 NSW Alex Mehan 1516
7 NSW Tereza Grbin 1512
8 NSW Trent Parker 1504
9 QLD Aurel John Buciu 1502
10 NSW Bob Liang 1491
11 NSW Michael J Courtney 1489
12 NSW Michael Tracey 1470
13 NSW Valsalan Karayi 1458
14 NSW Bob Sewell 1429
15 NSW Mick Waters 1416
16 NSW Vince Chiara 1416
17 NSW Anthony Baldwin 1359
18 NSW Tony Lau 1325
19 NSW Patrick Beahan 1272
20 NSW Mary Wilkie 1223
21 NSW Andrew Pan 1096
22 NSW Tom Accola 1060
23 NSW Paul Envis 1040
24 NSW David Soul 946
25 NSW Mario Pleno 757
26 Korea Sangjae LEE
27 Korea Jinwu PARK
28 Korea Jaewon PARK
29 Korea Kyungsik Jang
30 Korea Jeongmin SEO
31 Korea Youngjun YOO
32 Korea Jaeyoon PARK
33 Korea Jaehyuk PARK
34 Korea Jonghoon PARK
35 Korea Hyunwoo LEE
36 Korea Yeonwoo LEE
37 Korea Kyuho DOH
38 NSW Paul Palmer

ER
31-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Minor Field

1 NSW Eddy Katnic 1599
7 NSW Tereza Grbin 1512

[/code]

Both strong players, both of Croatian background, both my friends since my Sydney days... Gunner must be extra careful when playing against them! Eddy's 1599 in particular is rather an underrated thing!
Cheers and good luck

bergil
31-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Both strong players, both of Croatian background, both my friends since my Sydney days... Gunner must be extra careful when playing against them! Eddy's 1599 in particular is rather an underrated thing!
Cheers and good luckYeah Eddy almost wet himself laughing about being 1599. He's been sick lately so I hope he does well.

Trent Parker
31-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Eddy and I have always had pretty good games.... I believe i'm something like 2/4 against eddy...... he won the first two and then i've won the last two.

Basil
31-12-2007, 10:55 PM
The (bald) Eagle has landed!

Arrived Newcastle airport this arvo - currently resting up with my trainers (aged 9 mnths, 16 mnths, 2 years and 4 years) in Mardi.

Basil
31-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Right! I see where this is headed. It's me and Aurel _John against the Mexicans (on their home turf) and the Koreans. Seems like a fair fight! Let's Go!!!

The Vics? Pfft! ;)

Axiom
01-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Right! I see where this is headed. It's me and Aurel _John against the Mexicans (on their home turf) and the Koreans. Seems like a fair fight! Let's Go!!!

The Vics? Pfft! ;)
Gunner , its only fair to warn you, that some *** sympathisers are hatching a scheme to scuttle your minor endeavours.
I tried to dissuade them, but they were insistent that certain principles be up held etc.
I do not wish to go into any particulars, but if you spot a rather odd looking fellow tampering with your clock, an old hippy staring using hypnotic mind control techniques, a hyperactive kid wearing army boots chatting loudly about yoghurt, or strangely personaly tailored opening refutations accompanied by a moustached man grinning broadly, then you know that the non-sanctioned black psy op ,known as 'operation fred' (as in scuttle) is well underway.

ER
01-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Right! I see where this is headed. It's me and Aurel _John against the Mexicans (on their home turf) and the Koreans...

I think someone has to remind Howie the Champs are held in Sydney and not in Melbourne!!! (Just in case he ends up at the MCC waiting for his opponents to turn up!) :) Cheers and happy New Year!

Adamski
01-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Gunner/ Howie - after a posting like that bunny song I have to wish you luck. Just go easy on Tom Accola from Manly (not to mention ACF and NSWCA Councils) though.
Another plan - its not too late to study some chess books. Start with something like Jeremy Silman's How to Reassess your Chess or one of John Watson's middle game books. Also the training threads on this board. E.g. http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=7020 for middle game rules.
Good luck mate- you keep this board interesting!! If you're playing in the lightning I'll introduce myself (not while you're beating someone up with the Toliet Gambit or the Elephant Gambit or the ... though).

Basil
01-01-2008, 05:08 PM
I tried to dissuade them, but they were insistent that certain principles be up held etc.
I do not wish to go into any particulars...
I laugh at you psy-ops. They will never be the same once I have used my reflective mirror, anti-tin foil do-da (instructions in Russian) disassembling machine (located in my lapel) on them.

Yes, 3 piece suit for day one anyway.

Basil
01-01-2008, 05:10 PM
If you're playing in the lightning I'll introduce myself...
Unfortunately, at this stage, I think will be spending (more :eek:) time with the family. If you get an alternate chance, plese do introduce yourself - that would be most welcome.

Basil
01-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The anti-Tromp (1... h6, winning a bishop).

That's Anthony Duggan controlling the black pieces, trapping Daddy Duggan and Andrew Duggan (who sacked Daddy Duggan shortly after this game). Played at The Entrance earlier today.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/scene66/mednorcrop.jpg

Basil
01-01-2008, 05:19 PM
I think someone has to remind Howie the Champs are held in Sydney and not in Melbourne!!!
'Mexicans' refers to any folk south of the border, which in this case captures the filthy NSW swine ;)

Basil
01-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Dear Diary:

Only one person responded to my generous offer of shacking up - and he wanted to know if I snored! I can only put the lacklustre response down to:
a) either my dates being wrong (I cited Thur 4th instead of Thus 3rd) and accordingly I confusled* the natives, or
b) their plain and simple abhorrence at the prospect. I pick the former.

Abandoned as a cur dog, I have opted to stay at The Marriott.

Mardi is adjacent to Tuggerah. I object strongly to this name, but as I am only visiting, I shall not lodge a complaint. It is a most agreeable area - quite similar to Australia in many ways. The locals speak English (well close enough, anyway) and they have been most accomodating.

Tomorrow is 'the big off' and I shall make my way to the stinking grey pit that is Sydney Town. Pip pip!

*(C. Frosty/ Spiny)

Trent Parker
01-01-2008, 09:58 PM
mardi is a fairly new area i think, between wyong and tuggerah. You should consider playing the Mingara Open in May if you have family at Mardi......

Did you watch the pelican feeding at The Entrance? (where that outdoor board is located)

Basil
01-01-2008, 10:01 PM
mardi is a fairly new area i think, between wyong and tuggerah. You should consider playing the Mingara Open in May if you have family at Mardi......
Thanks for the tip, Trent. At the risk of sounding like umm, you know, a tourist ... where is the Mingara Open held? If you say 'Mingara', then where is Mingara?

See you (again) tomorrow.

Trent Parker
01-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the tip, Trent. At the risk of sounding like umm, you know, a tourist ... where is the Mingara Open held? If you say 'Mingara', then where is Mingara?

See you (again) tomorrow.

At the Mingara Recreation club. You probably would have passed it on your trip from mardi to the Entrance. It is in the suburb of Tumbi Umbi

Basil
01-01-2008, 10:23 PM
At the Mingara Recreation club. You probably would have passed it on your trip from mardi to the Entrance. It is in the suburb of Tumbi Umbi
Thanks. I did indeed see Tumbi Umbi. Not far from Kanga Anga! The poms would love these names - peculiar and define a country. Sort of the reverse of Bognor Regis and The New Forest!

Dozy
02-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The anti-Tromp (1... h6, winning a bishop).

That's Anthony Duggan controlling the black pieces, trapping Daddy Duggan and Andrew Duggan (who sacked Daddy Duggan shortly after this game). Played at The Entrance earlier today.Thanks for putting up the Pic, Howard. I expected to meet somebody who looked like your avatar...

Basil
02-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks for putting up the Pic, Howard. I expected to meet somebody who looked like your avatar...
You probably will! I was up until 5am this morning :eek: :P

Basil
02-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Dear Diary:

Today was a good day. Most pleasant to catch up with the Queensland contingent.

Enjoyed a pleasant pre-tournament hour-long chat with Dozy whom I met for the first time. His quote of the day was "Howard, you're surprisingly normal!" I hope to see him around these parts (chesschat) more often.

Opponent of the day was David Soul - OK, my only opponent - not sure if it's the David Soul - could be! (That would make me Starsky).

Aurel-John Buciu booted himself up to the Major, which leaves moi as the sole freedom fighter for good and wholesomeness.

Adamski
02-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I see you won, Howie. A good start, no doubt attributable to your young coaches! Enjoyed the pic. Good luck tomorrow.

Basil
03-01-2008, 05:46 AM
I see you won, Howie. A good start, no doubt attributable to your young coaches! Enjoyed the pic. Good luck tomorrow.
Thank you. I hopelessly botched the k+six pawns v k+six pawns ending and was lucky to escape with the full point.

ER
03-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Hey Howie, what are you doing up at 6.46 am? Go back to bed and have some sleep you utter, utter, utter, utter :P
Really son, make sure you rest and eat properly.. This is an important one make sure you win it! Your Mexican friends are right behind you! :clap:
Congrats for the 1st point. 8 more to go!
Go Howie!
By the way what's this 1.e4 business vs Anthony on the big board?

Cheers and good luck to the whole Duggan regiment! Happy new year too!!!

Adamski
04-01-2008, 08:18 AM
So Howie what was the story? Grand Master draws, or lucky ones or unlucky ones? Or just a move to be in the same position as if you had played the Swiss Gambit? Look forward to hearing the tale of 2 draws...

Adamski
05-01-2008, 09:38 AM
4/5 - looks like the 2 draw strategy was a good one...

Spiny Norman
05-01-2008, 09:40 AM
he's lurking, ready to pounce on the lead in the final rounds ... :clap:

Dozy
05-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Howard, you and I are Gunner meet in the next round, and I'm sorry to say it's not Gunner do you any good. Becoz if I win that isn't Gunner improve your standing, but if YOU win I'm Gunner appeal to the DOP about your unfair play.

Now Howard knows what I'm talking about but for anybody else who may not be in the picture I warned him the other day that his bald head is a distraction. He polishes it till it really shines and, in the dull lighting conditions, it really dazzles his opponents.

In fact, it shines so brightly it's like playing chess against an angel with a halo!

So, I'm gunna invoke one of my friends: :evil:

Basil
05-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Now Howard knows what I'm talking about but for anybody else who may not be in the picture I warned him the other day that his bald head is a distraction. He polishes it till it really shines and, in the dull lighting conditions, it really dazzles his opponents.
:P and I see Arosar put the Chrome Dome as his first library pic from round 1.

Basil
05-01-2008, 09:27 PM
So Howie what was the story? Grand Master draws, or lucky ones or unlucky ones?
Two stories actually. And you asked, so I'm going to tell ya!

Story #1
I had this position against Tony Baldwin in round 2

3r2k1/2R1Rpp1/r3p2p/np2P3/3P4/P3KN2/6PP/8 b - - 1 27

I had decided a few moves previously that his b pawn could have as many fantasies about reaching the 8th as it liked because I felt his back rank rook needed to occupy f8 to save the mating combination. And my answer to that was my own fantasy of plonking my knight on g6 - being immune from capture on account of the same mating combo (thus his f8 rook would either drop to the knight or move and allow mate). Brilliant eh!

But alas I am a patzer. Having become so enamoured with the idea I merrily headed off to this:

5rk1/2R1Rpp1/r3p2p/1p2P3/2nP1K2/P4N2/6PP/8 w - - 4 28

And low and behold, having forgotten that I had moved my king in the interim, Nh4 (as played) runs straight into ...g5 :wall: (played)

So, putting my best swindling foot forward, I managed this with my opponent a full rook up plus a pawn on the 6th ;)

3r2k1/5p2/4p2K/4P2P/R7/1p6/8/6r1 w - - 4 42

and I played Rg4+.

My opponent decided he didn't want to play on, deciding 1/2 point was the better part of valour. End result, my opponent was wel cranky with himself for allowing the finish, but I was just as cranky for dropping the knight on the back of a cracking plan! Both players probably thought they deserved the full point.

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2008, 09:44 PM
My opponent decided he didn't want to play on, deciding 1/2 point was the better part of valour.

Which is unfortunate for him because even after giving back the rook to avoid stalemate, Black's position is a relatively easy win. Perhaps he got freaked out by the white passed pawn.

Basil
05-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Which is unfortunate for him because even after giving back the rook to avoid stalemate, Black's position is a relatively easy win.
Is it? I'm not disagreeing (on account of being a patzer) but I think it might be surprisingly hard. Care to see what Mr Fritz says? A quick run on my box shows it as a draw (the passer can't be saved, however no endgame tables loaded). Either way, you're correct about the psychology at play - he told me so.

Basil
05-01-2008, 10:18 PM
and story (draw) #2

I played like GM! *cough* against the top seed (notwithstanding a couple of nasties expected at our level). Good enough for the win perhaps - you decide. I can live with two 1/2 points in the grand scheme ...

[AusChamps - Tiddlywinks Division]
[Parra]
[2008.01.04]
[Round 3]
[Ubel Urangui]
[Howard Duggan]
[Result 1/2-1/2]
[ECO "A80"]

1.d4 f5 2.Nf3 e6 3.c4 d6 4.Nc3 Nf6 5.e3 Be7 6.Be2 Nbd7 7.b4 c6 8.O-O O-O 9.a4 Ne4 10.Qc2 Nxc3 11.Qxc3 Nf6 12.Bd3 Bd7 13.Bb2 Ne4 14.Qc2 d5 15.c5 Ng5 16.Ne5 Be8 17.Rad1 Nf7 18.f3 Nxe5 19.dxe5 b6 20.e4 g6 21.exf5 gxf5 22.Kh1 bxc5 23.bxc5 Rb8 24.g4 Bg6 25.gxf5 Bxf5 26.Rg1+ Kh8 27.Bc1 Bxd3 28.Rxd3 Rg8 29.f4 Rxg1+ 30.Kxg1 Qf8 31.Rh3 Qf5 32.Qxf5 exf5 33.Be3 Rb4 34.Rh6 d4 35.Bd2 Rb2 36.Ba5 Bxc5 37.Rxc6 Rc2 38.Bb4 d3+ 39.Bxc5 d2 40.Rc8+ Kg7 41.Rc7+ Kg8 42.Rc8+ Kf7 43.Rd8 Rc1+ 44.Kg2 d1=Q 45.Rxd1 Rxd1 46.Bxa7 Ra1 47.a5 Rxa5 48.Bb6 Ra3 49.Bd8 Ke6 50.Bg5 Kd5 51.Bh4 Ke4 52.Bg3 Rb3 53.Kh3 Kf3 54.Kh4 Rb6 55.Kg5 Ke4

Kevin Bonham
05-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Is it? I'm not disagreeing (on account of being a patzer) but I think it might be surprisingly hard. Care to see what Mr Fritz says?

I don't need Fritz for this but FWIW -2, but with moves entered it quickly blows out.

Black plays ...Kf8! (...Kh8 is a draw because White rubs it in with Rg8+ and all three captures are stalemate) then after White takes on g1, Black plays ...b2 and ...Rb8 forcing white's rook to b1 where it cannot lose tempo while black's rook on the b-file can use up as many tempi as it likes so black should have no trouble winning white pawns as needed. If White's king goes after the passer Black just plays ...f5 and creates another one.

You might want to check that the position as shown is exactly correct.

Basil
05-01-2008, 10:33 PM
In other news ...

Macavity and Gunner have established the Sausage League and taken up residence at the front of the Rissole (RSL).

I've bought my 5 buck 50 RSL membership card giving me 10% on all the bistro items for 10 days - score!

I set up shop with an A-frame sign promoting that folk can touch me for $5 or shake my hand for $10. My takings are coincidentally exactly the same as achieved at Liddums.

Has been a great pleasure meeting Bergil :clap:

First time meetings include Rampaging Bill Gletsos, The Great Goldenberg, Crazy Canfell, Debonair Dozy and others.

Have chatted-up (or rekindled old flames in) Charles Zworestine, George Howard and Garry Wastell.

Had a secluded walk (into the mall) with John Alkin and finished up a perfect afternoon in Hungry Jacks (passing the 'The Queensland Arcade').

and been up the Great Western Highway (the wrong way) twice :wall:

Capablanca-Fan
05-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I don't need Fritz for this but FWIW -2, but with moves entered it quickly blows out.
Yeah, Fritz might not be best for this.

Black plays ...Kf8! (...Kh8 is a draw because White rubs it in with Rg8+ and all three captures are stalemate) then after White takes on g1, Black plays ...b2 and ...Rb8 forcing white's rook to b1 where it cannot lose tempo while black's rook on the b-file can use up as many tempi as it likes so black should have no trouble winning white pawns as needed. If White's king goes after the passer Black just plays ...f5 and creates another one.
I agree that Black is winning. There was certainly little to lose by playing on.

Might be better for Black to defend the pawn on the rank, because then it is in a position to switch to f5 via f2, after Kg7, which should win both White pawns while White is dealing with the passer. With Black's R on b8, it might be a bit harder to get at the pawns, e.g. Kg5 Kg7, h6+ Kh7, Kf6 Kxh6??, Rh1#.

Capablanca-Fan
05-01-2008, 11:07 PM
[AusChamps - Tiddlywinks Division]
[Parra]
[2008.01.04]
[Round 3]
[Ubel Urangui]
[Howard Duggan]
[Result 1/2-1/2]
[ECO "A80"]

1.d4 f5 2.Nf3 e6 3.c4 d6 (Don't hurry with this. A key strategy in the Dutch is control of e4, so 3... Nf6 and if 4. Nc3 Bb4.) 4.Nc3 Nf6 5.e3 Be7 6.Be2 Nbd7 7.b4 c6 8.O-O O-O 9.a4 Ne4 10.Qc2 Nxc3 (why exchange? This reduces Black's K-side attacking chances. 10... d5 would fit better, but this shows that d6 was a wasted move) 11.Qxc3 Nf6 12.Bd3 Bd7 13.Bb2 Ne4 14.Qc2 d5 15.c5 Ng5 16.Ne5 Be8 17.Rad1 (17. f4 now or after exchanging Ns would give White parity on the K-side and a clear advantage on the Q-side, so Black would have a hard time of it) 17... Nf7 18.f3 Nxe5 19.dxe5 b6 20.e4 (20. Bd4; the move played loses cohesion) 20... g6 21.exf5 gxf5 22.Kh1 bxc5 23.bxc5 Rb8 24.g4 Bg6 25.gxf5 Bxf5 26.Rg1+ Kh8 27.Bc1 Bxd3 (good play. Black is better now) 28.Rxd3 Rg8 29.f4 Rxg1+ 30.Kxg1 Qf8 31.Rh3 Qf5 (this spoils Black's pawns, although Black retains the advantage as you demonstrate. All the same, it seems simpler to play 31... Qf7 defending everything, and let White try to defend all the b-file squares and the Pc5. Black is threatening 32. Rb4-c4) 32.Qxf5 exf5 33.Be3 Rb4 34.Rh6 d4 35.Bd2 Rb2 36.Ba5 Bxc5 37.Rxc6 Rc2 38.Bb4 d3+ 39.Bxc5 d2 40.Rc8+ Kg7 41.Rc7+ Kg8 42.Rc8+ Kf7 43.Rd8 Rc1+ 44.Kg2 d1=Q 45.Rxd1 Rxd1 46.Bxa7 Ra1 47.a5 Rxa5 48.Bb6 Ra3 49.Bd8 Ke6 50.Bg5 Kd5 51.Bh4 Ke4 52.Bg3 Rb3 (try 52... Ra6 53. Kh3 Rh6+ 54. Kg2 Rg6 55. Kh3 Rg4!, then ... h5. White will have to advance his own h-pawn to stop Black's h4, whereupon Black returns with ... Rg6, Ra6, Ra2+ then penetrating with Kf3. With White's h-pawn moved, it block's White's K's route to gain counterplay, and also removes the support for the White B. So Black should be able to conquer the Pf4) 53.Kh3 Kf3 54.Kh4 Rb6 55.Kg5 Ke4

Adamski
05-01-2008, 11:24 PM
and story (draw) #2

I played like GM! *cough* against the top seed (notwithstanding a couple of nasties expected at our level). Good enough for the win perhaps - you decide. I can live with two 1/2 points in the grand scheme ...
It appears I was right - both lucky and unlucky. And now for Board 1!

Basil
05-01-2008, 11:33 PM
It appears I was right - both lucky and unlucky. And now for Board 1!
Right! You help me with that and I'll help you with your quoting ;)

BTW thanks for the earlier tip on Silman's Reassess Your Chess. I borrowed it from a friend a year or two back - I should revisit that (he lives in the next street). I also have Silman's new endgame tome. It appears I'm not digesting everything ATM.

Basil
05-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks as always, Jon.

Don't hurry with this (...d6). A key strategy in the Dutch is control of e4...

I have a problem. I'm aware of what you say (and I'm aware what you say is advised by my betters) but I appear to have a blind spot in that I don't wish to see white's d5 appear on the board (I use ...d6 to support an ...e5 push past if required).

Everything else received and understood, Squadron Leader! Cheers!

Capablanca-Fan
06-01-2008, 02:07 AM
Thanks as always, Jon.

I have a problem. I'm aware of what you say (and I'm aware what you say is advised by my betters) but I appear to have a blind spot in that I don't wish to see white's d5 appear on the board (I use ...d6 to support an ...e5 push past if required).

Everything else received and understood, Squadron Leader! Cheers!
Np. d5 seems too earely for it to be good. In the line

1.d5 f5 2.Nf3 e6 3.c4 Nf6 4.d5 Bb4+ 5.Bd2 Qe7 {Black has a good game, and is threatening both ... exd5 and ... e5. If White next plays ...} 6.dxe6 {that defeats the purpose of the pawn advance} 6... dxe6 {and Black is fine}

Keep up the good work!

Adamski
06-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Right! You help me with that and I'll help you with your quoting ;)

BTW thanks for the earlier tip on Silman's Reassess Your Chess. I borrowed it from a friend a year or two back - I should revisit that (he lives in the next street). I also have Silman's new endgame tome. It appears I'm not digesting everything ATM.

No worries! Time to get thinking about my own little Parra adventure for the lightning. (At least Dee Why is not as far from Parra as the Central Coast but it still requires a bus and a train to get there.) Good luck for the remaining rounds.

Basil
06-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Np. d5 seems too earely for it to be good. In the line ...
Right. Had a good look at that now. Most instructive. One bad habit stricken from the repertoire. Thanks.

Basil
06-01-2008, 03:09 PM
For general interest, Richard Davies (unr) [playing in the minor] has reappeared on the chess scene after many many years absence. Now (I'm guessing (close to) retired), he's turned up in NSW after last playing as an U/18 in England. His modest claim to fame was coming 8th in the British Championships.

Adamski
06-01-2008, 07:28 PM
No worries! Time to get thinking about my own little Parra adventure for the lightning. (At least Dee Why is not as far from Parra as the Central Coast but it still requires a bus and a train to get there.) Good luck for the remaining rounds.
5/11 in the lightning - beat 3 players in the 1800-1900 range but lost to 1 or 2 lower rated than me. So no better than average really, But good fun. Missed out on the cricket though (which I thought India would draw).

Adamski
08-01-2008, 01:29 PM
See another thread for more details - http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=7408

Adamski
08-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Congratulations, Howie - the sentimemtal favorite is becoming one of the actual favorites!
Go Howie (Trompovski) Duggan!

Trent Parker
08-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Boo hiss howie. I wanna catch up! :D lol

Phil Bourke
08-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Start by shaving your head and applying generous quantities of Mr Sheen :) Was a suggestion earlier that some of Howie's opponents have even complained about being distracted by the bright reflections off that ugly thing that passes as a head on Howie's shoulders! :D

Basil
11-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Well the adventure is almost over. What fun!

Came second in the minor. This is good. Except I came into the tournament this morning with at least second guaranteed. That was also good. Then I lost. That is bad. TCN and IM Bob should receive their 'visits' shortly. Then everything will be good again! ;) Congrats to both men - TCN for being the only person to beat me and Bob for being the recipient :wall: :P

Congrats to Solo - shame I couldn't do the Queensland double!

I've said it before (on this board, on stage, to his face, to anybody that will listen and to anyone that doesn't want to. Shane Burgess did very very well. Under all the circumstances.

Met some great blokes for the first time. In approximate order of meeting, we have:

Bergil - Shane Burgess (legend)
Dozy - David Evans (phd in understatement - it's a talent))
Macavity - Malcolm Pyke (co-founder Parra Sausage Club)
Igor Goldenberg - Igor Goldenberg
Trizza - Tristan Boyd (He's from Perth, but he'd pass for an Australian)
IM Bob - Bob Liang (congratulations)
paulb - Paul Broekhuyse
Shirty - Greg Canfell (mod edit)
Bill Gletsos - Rampaging Bill Gletsos
Andrew Bird - Andrew Bird (yes I did ask his chesschat handle :doh:
Lurker - Nick Kordahi (spell check please!)
Jono2 - Jonathan Adams (introduced himself as promised - 5 HCDs)
Lee Jones - Lee Jones (He's English and he's forgotten his chesschat password)

I'll add others as they come to mind.

Receipts:
Gross takings from Gunnner touching handshakes - zipple
Gross takings from tournament - $400 HCDs
Gross takings from Brian Jones bookstore - 1 x copy Australasian Chess (review copy)

I leave with a heap of good memories (and new-found acquaintances). Thanks to all the well-wishers on the BB and in person.

Now I'm off to laugh at the Axiom report or marvel at the apologist/ cringing dribble that I have missed to terribly (not). http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/scene66/smilies/escape.gif

Trent Parker
11-01-2008, 10:14 PM
ahh the forces of good (NSW) overcame the forces of evil (QLD) in the Minor and all is well! :D

I'm sure we'll have a rematch some day gunner!

Couldn't have two banana benders taking the spoils at Parra!

Garrett
12-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Well done Howard, pleased you had a good chess holiday.

Shame you fell at the last hurdle but that's life I guess.

Look forward to playing against you again some time. I think it will be a close, hard fought game.

Cheers
George.

Rincewind
12-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Lurker - Nick Kordahi (spell check please!)

Well done Howie. See! We New South Welshmen aren't as bad as you thought we were.

BTW I thought Nick's handle was related to a "kind" of "fowl of the air".

Metro
12-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Now I'm off to laugh at the Axiom report or marvel at the apologist/ cringing dribble that I have missed to terribly (not).
Any sign of Ax in Parramatta?

Basil
13-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Any sign of Ax in Parramatta?
I'm not at liberty to say.

BTW I thought Nick's handle was related to a "kind" of "fowl of the air".
I may have misunderstood, but I was under the impression that he hadn't signed up at all, although I may have been misambulating under the possible effects of amber at the time. If you still believe otherwise (that he does have an account), can we play "something (handle) beginning with ..."?

Basil
13-01-2008, 09:05 PM
IN a little known fact, I organised the much needed perpetual rain to occur over Brisbane while I was away in Parra. Timed perfectly to the day.

The kicker is that I have since organised torrential rain over Sydney, especially in the west commencing the first day after my return ;)

Rincewind
13-01-2008, 09:56 PM
I may have misunderstood, but I was under the impression that he hadn't signed up at all, although I may have been misambulating under the possible effects of amber at the time. If you still believe otherwise (that he does have an account), can we play "something (handle) beginning with ..."?

Sorry, I was thinking of someone else.