PDA

View Full Version : C'mon let's see the possitives!

ER
01-12-2007, 08:47 PM
I have been a regular user - chatter - participant of this board for about a year and a half now.
During this time, I 've learned a lot about our game, I have been informed about happenings and situations, and I had the pleasure to meet either online and/or in real life with the most incredibly talented and gifted people as well as some others who I simply have liked or not exactly liked.
One thing that really impresses me is that amongst all these people are tireless individuals who have offered and are still offering a lot of their time / efforts / money in promoting Chess as volunteers in various administrational and other positions.
Now a number of these people are continually attacked, or are attacking other people of the same virtue. Those attacks occur in this and other forums. I happen to know personally people from both sides, and I have also been involved in these rather negative, albeit interesting, situations.
I do not wish to act as a peacemaker, or someone who is above human weaknesses and stupidity. All I want to do is, to momentarily leave alone the whichever faults of the Gletsoses, the Duggans, the Stannings, the Baumonts etc of this community and concentrate on their possitive values.
So let's go friends and foes. Let's admit and list a few of the possitive sides of those "sworn" enemies of ours.

Cheers and good luck!

Kevin Bonham
01-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Let's admit and list a few of the possitive sides of those "sworn" enemies of ours.

You make it sound as if it is a difficult thing to do but in fact I have done it regularly on this site and have no problems doing so. For instance of the four individuals who have taken the most vociferous exception to me on this site, three (firegoat7, Matthew Sweeney and PhilD707) make or have made useful contributions to chess administration and publicity at a local level.

I'm not really sure I should comment much beyond that statement. I appreciate your good intentions, but I don't care much for artificial online hugfest threads and have, in my time, seen many of them turn into flamewars far more vicious and personal than those that develop from the most adversarial threads. Probably the only thing preventing that from happening in this case is that most of one "side" have got themselves banned.

Damning with faint praise is sometimes more insulting than saying nothing at all, and is an unavoidable risk in lets-be-hippies threads of this kind. I specifically request that you not start a thread of this nature in the other place. :lol:

Basil
01-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Hi Elliott

I echo Kevin's sentiments (especially the bit about good intentions) :clap:

You appear to have slipped-up. You mention my name in the list of people of who we must forget about their faults ;)