PDA

View Full Version : Simultaneous Exhibitions at Blayney

Phil Bourke
02-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Just want to give everyone that wants the opportunity the chance to pleasure themselves with some chess excellence.
GM's Dejan Antic and Ian Rogers have agreed to come to Blayney to give Lectures and Simultaneous Exhibitions. GM Antic will conduct his on the 18th November, with GM Rogers coming on December 16th.
So if you are within travelling distance of Blayney, why not give yourself an early Christmas present and book in for both.
See the attached doc for more details.

Intuition
02-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Nice effort to get them down Phil...when you were talking to me about it ages ago I thought you were just joking :D .. hopefully ppl will get on board to make the most of this opportunity

Phil Bourke
02-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Nice effort to get them down Phil...when you were talking to me about it ages ago I thought you were just joking :D .. hopefully ppl will get on board to make the most of this opportunity
I could say that I never joke :) But that wouldn't be true :) One only has to see my chess games to realise that. :)

Capablanca-Fan
03-11-2007, 10:26 AM
GM's Dejan Antic and Ian Rogers have agreed to come to Blayney to give Lectures and Simultaneous Exhibitions. GM Antic will conduct his on the 18th November, with GM Rogers coming on December 16th.
So if you are within travelling distance of Blayney, why not give yourself an early Christmas present and book in for both.
See the attached doc for more details.
So when GM Rogers said that he was retiring, he meant from tournament play only? Good that he will be in action in some way.

GM Antic has been very grandmasterly lately.

Phil Bourke
12-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Just to remind everyone that GM Dejan Antic will be in Blayney this Sunday, Nov 18th for a lecture and simultaneous exhibition.
Also got a nice lift today when an article and photos I had submitted to the Orange and Bathurst newspapers got a run in the Bathurst paper. When you consider this to be a town of 35,000+ people, and the story appeared on page 23 of 28 in the Monday edition and was 3/4 of the page!

WhiteElephant
12-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Also got a nice lift today when an article and photos I had submitted to the Orange and Bathurst newspapers got a run in the Bathurst paper. When you consider this to be a town of 35,000+ people, and the story appeared on page 23 of 28 in the Monday edition and was 3/4 of the page!

:clap:

Is the article online anywhere by any chance?

Phil Bourke
12-11-2007, 06:07 PM
:clap:

Is the article online anywhere by any chance?
It doesn't appear on the Western Advocate site at this point. I have added a scan of the paper story to the news story that I submitted, on our club site. A little rough, but more than viewable, though it may take a while to open up as it is quite large. (Welcome any tips on reducing the size :) )
http://blayneychess.com/WA_Simul_Story.htm

Phil Bourke
19-11-2007, 08:02 PM
The day is done and everyone went home happy. Dejan Antic is an excellent lecturer and a top bloke to boot. We had 20 sit down to the lecture which featured some excellent coverage of a few salient topics by Dejan. He also included the audience with excellent questions and challenged them to solve many of the problems. He was also very patient, answering all questions with good explanations.
18 players lined up to face Dejan in the simultaneous exhibition. Dejan scored an excellent 17 wins and one draw from this effort. Again it was noticeable that he was very good with the younger contenders, even helping some of them to record their game whilst he was playing. He awarded four DVD's to the players he thought were the best games, these were taken home by Sandy Aich (he got the draw), Fritz Van der Wal, Rod McPhee and yours truly :) He also gave all the other participants an instructional CD, which I have perused and feel was an excellent choice for the audience he was working with.
I heartily thank Dejan for his efforts on the day, he made it a memorable day for all that took part. I think that he is a welcome addition to the teaching and coaching ranks of Australian chess, not to mention his playing ability. As a club organiser, I look forward to working with Dejan again in the future.

Intuition
20-11-2007, 10:40 AM
can u post your game phil :)

Phil Bourke
20-11-2007, 12:25 PM
can u post your game phil :)
Give me a day or two and I will do you better :) I have ten of the games played to go up on the website when I get motivated enough to do it. Just enjoying a few quiet days. We played Bathurst on Wed night, then the simul on Sun, it isn't so much too much chess, but too much organising :)

Phil Bourke
21-11-2007, 08:58 PM
For any interested parties, I have posted ten games from the Antic Simul on our website, http://blayneychess.com/Antic%20Visit.htm , you will also find five games from last weeks Blayney v Bathurst match, http://blayneychess.com/Games/Bly_v_Bath/071114.htm
Hope you enjoy them.

Watto
22-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the reports Phil. All very interesting. And impressive too- not many chess clubs get a visit from both Antic and Rogers!

Look forward to having a look at the games tonight...

Phil Bourke
03-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Reminder to everyone that GM Rogers' lecture & simul is taking place on the 16th December. Days activities will commence at 12 pm and should conclude around 6 pm. As a special offer, mention ChessChat, when you ring to book your spot and I will give you a $5 discount. You know where to find the contact details, look at the sig file ;)

Phil Bourke
15-12-2007, 04:38 PM
A last minute reminder to all that tomorrow sees GM Ian Rogers conduct a lecture/display/simul at Blayney Chess Club. The day commences at 12pm and should conclude around 6pm. Anyone that has some spare time and enough initiative to get there will certainly be glad they did.
Anyone coming tomorrow should ensure they wear their Sunday best :) Prime TV are coming across to do a story on the event. Must admit that the 2nd go around has recieved a warmer response from the media, first time around, I only got the papers to cover it, this time around we have had Radio (ABC) chasing us for an interview, and Prime TV actually rang us after reading some of our stuff in the papers, very nice to know that we will be getting some good exposure for chess. Hope it leads to a few new members playing next year.

Spiny Norman
16-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Well done Phil, that's excellent work! Maybe see if you can get a few of your local pollies to come down next time, for a "photo opportunity with a Grandmaster of chess"!

Phil Bourke
16-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Have already taken a step in that direction :) We have Kurt Fearnley, Para Olympian, John Davis, Mayor of Orange, former Mayor of Blayney, and Paul Kevin, local pharmacist and Blayney Shire Council's suggestion, lining up to play against Ian in the Blindfold Simul. I think it was this that grabbed the attention of the TV station.

Denis_Jessop
16-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Have already taken a step in that direction :) We have Kurt Fearnley, Para Olympian, John Davis, Mayor of Orange, former Mayor of Blayney, and Paul Kevin, local pharmacist and Blayney Shire Council's suggestion, lining up to play against Ian in the Blindfold Simul. I think it was this that grabbed the attention of the TV station.

Great initiative, Phil and good luck with the event.

DJ

Spiny Norman
16-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Well done Phil ...

Phil Bourke
17-12-2007, 12:18 PM
The day went down a real treat, had 20 again for the lecture and 18 to play in the simul. This was pleasing as we had a clash with the NSW Country Junior Championships in Sydney where Blayney's Garry Mann finished equal 2nd with 3.5/5 and Ramon Aich from Dubbo was also involved though I don't have results to hand to say how he did. This took away four possible attendees at our day, and had a disastrous effect on the number of Dubbo people that came down, from 3 to 0. But this was balanced with a new interest from Katoomba and Springwood. Even had one player from Bathurst make the trip up and he is unknown to the Bathurst Club as he hasn't played for over 20 years!
The big news is that the event received coverage from two TV stations, with both Prime and WIN sending a crew to get footage and interviews. Look forward to seeing them tonight on Prime and possibly Tue/Wed on WIN.
Ian whitewashed the blindfold simul, and the OTB simul. He is truly awesome, his opening knowledge and speed of calculation is phenomenal and inspirational to us mere chess mortals.
All I got was positive feedback from participants so I went home feeling very satisfied that we had taken the plunge and ventured into an area that no one was sure would even work.
Will do up a report for the paper later tonight, and should have a report, pics and games up on the website in the next day or two.

Watto
17-12-2007, 01:12 PM
The day went down a real treat, had 20 again for the lecture and 18 to play in the simul.
Thanks for the report Phil. All very interesting! :)

Axiom
17-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Phil Bourke , the *** salutes you.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil Bourke
22-12-2007, 11:00 AM
All details are now on the website, http://blayneychess.com/Rogers%20Visit.htm
Please enjoy.
Please don't waste time thanking me, though it is appreciated, just get out there and play more chess at your local clubs. :)

Metro
22-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Please don't waste time thanking me, though it is appreciated, just get out there and play more chess at your local clubs. :)

How about volunteering?