PDA

View Full Version : Break from Chess

Zwischenzug
21-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi guys, haven't posted on here for a while. After this semester is over, I'm going to take a break from chess (for how long, I don't know yet). I am going to get serious about getting into shape (no more lame excuses). I plan on trying to do so by picking up a martial art in my spare time (I already have my heart set on one particular place but don't have time to visit it until the semester is over). Don't be disheartened, I don't be gone from chess long. When I do return to chess, I will be stronger than ever! :owned:

Your friend, Zwischenzug.

Davidflude
21-10-2007, 11:11 PM
I am going to the gymn several times a week. My doctor suggested that I should do some weights.

I have joined a seniors circuit which is OK except that they do not play the music loud enough. At home I am doing their warm up exercises using my cleaning music played really loud. (Why should the teenagers have all the fun). A clue one of my choices was used in a John Luc Godard movie. Another is a tribute album where the artists and songs were matched by doctor John.

Oh and they have a Tai Chi class as well. If you are going to do martial arts consider Pa Kuan if you can find a really good instructor.

Basil
21-10-2007, 11:13 PM
At home I am doing their warm up exercises using my cleaning music played really loud.
:cool:
Respec, aye!

ER
22-10-2007, 12:51 PM
... using my cleaning music ...
Define "cleaning" music pls David?
Cheers and good luck! :)

PS Also can I insist on Jean-Luc instead of John Luc? :))

Davidflude
22-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Define "cleaning" music pls David?
Cheers and good luck! :)

PS Also can I insist on Jean-Luc instead of John Luc? :))

Yes of course you can insist on correct spelling. "Never define anything"

Also it should be Pa kua. Drunken style Kung fu would be the most interesting but you need to be incredibly fit, supple and as Jackie Chan did during the movie "Drunken Master" be able to drink vast amounts of cold tea. (The movie was not meant to be taken seriously as was my comment.)

littlesprout85
29-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Sprout thinks that exercise is most important- & taking up some chinese kung fu is even more helpful- not only phsycal but the mental prowlness too will help even more.

Sprout has taken 6 years of Chinese Wing Tsun.(Beautiful Springtime) This Style is wat bruce lee mastered before he moved to the states to start that Amazing Acting Career. :o)

Good Luck in sticking to this new reginment of exercise Zugs- It will definatly pay big ;)

-Sprout

sleepless
29-11-2007, 09:52 PM
...break from chess sounds good. We have just received the WEA course brochure in SA. Underwater Macrame or Bonsai your Pet sound interesting.

MichaelBaron
08-12-2007, 04:17 PM
When i paid my first visit to the Ewood Bendigo weekender some weeks ago, i could not stop smiling :). I can not remember what round it was (round 2 or 3 i think) but nearly all of the players on the top 6 boards (in fact all of the higher-rated players other than Antic) were overweight :(. When i moved down the playing hall - the lower boards were also looking quite depressing. It is really sad to see people i have known for many years growing fat and slow. Aging you may say....but putting on weight does not have to come with aging.

I am not going to mention (obviously) any names here, but majority of chess players appears to be seriously out of shape (overweight, unfit etc.).

The only "superfit" chess players that i could spot in the playing hall were Shane Lawson and some juniors. Of course i was very happy to see Nick Emodi among the tournament's visitors. Nick is 91 years old :clap: ! However, he was walking around the playing hall faster than majority of the fatty 30-50 year olds.

Guys, lets turn this unfortunate trend around! After all chess is a sport :D - so lets do our best to stay fit and healthy.

P.S. I wish there was some kind of competition where chess and athletics could be combined with one another. How about this: a round-robin blitz tournament followed by a 5-10 km running race with points from both events combined. This way we can enjoy chess..as well as stay fit.

Metro
08-12-2007, 04:43 PM
When i paid my first visit to the Ewood Bendigo weekender some weeks ago, i could not stop smiling :). I can not remember what round it was (round 2 or 3 i think) but nearly all of the players on the top 6 boards (in fact all of the higher-rated players other than Antic) were overweight :(. When i moved down the playing hall - the lower boards were also looking quite depressing. It is really sad to see people i have known for many years growing fat and slow. Aging you may say....but putting on weight does not have to come with aging.

I am not going to mention (obviously) any names here, but majority of chess players appears to be seriously out of shape (overweight, unfit etc.).

The only "superfit" chess players that i could spot in the playing hall were Shane Lawson and some juniors. Of course i was very happy to see Nick Emodi among the tournament's visitors. Nick is 91 years old :clap: ! However, he was walking around the playing hall faster than majority of the fatty 30-50 year olds.

Guys, lets turn this unfortunate trend around! After all chess is a sport :D - so lets do our best to stay fit and healthy.

P.S. I wish there was some kind of competition where chess and athletics could be combined with one another. How about this: a round-robin blitz tournament followed by a 5-10 km running race with points from both events combined. This way we can enjoy chess..as well as stay fit.

Good positive post,Michael.
In fact,I promise to play in such an event,if possible(can we shorten the run:lol: )
All we need now is an organiser:hmm:

Miguel
08-12-2007, 05:02 PM
P.S. I wish there was some kind of competition where chess and athletics could be combined with one another.
Chess boxing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing)

Intuition
13-12-2007, 09:58 AM
does a break, say for 2months reduce your level of play?

CameronD
13-12-2007, 10:43 AM
does a break, say for 2months reduce your level of play?

I personally play for 8 months of a year and then work on self-coaching for the other 4 months. I see a huge improvement in my play when I return to competitive play.

Desmond
13-12-2007, 11:58 PM
does a break, say for 2months reduce your level of play?I wouldn't think so. People who play tournaments pretty frequently would go for 2 months without a rated game a couple of times a year without too much problem. 2 years might see a bit of rust set in.