PDA

View Full Version : Trick of the Mind - Playing Chess

Spiny Norman
20-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Some may enjoy this:
XaODx-alm4k

I quickly worked out the guy's trick which enabled him to be beating some IMs and GMs (as soon as I saw that he was playing a mix of White and Black, rather than all White as in most genuine simuls) ... but the trick with predicting the number of opponent's pieces on the board at the end has me stumped. Can anyone shed any light on that? (I assume his one wrong prediction is related to game 9, but how are the others correctly predicted?)

sleepless
20-10-2007, 11:20 PM
I suspect that the error with the first number was deliberate and is an important part of the illusion.

Rincewind
21-10-2007, 01:23 AM
I suspect you're right sleepless. It is really difficult to tell because we get to see what he writes up on the butcher's paper very clearly but it would appear the contents of the envelope is washed out on the video and so we are basing the trick on the impression planted in the minds of the chess players.

I suspect the number on the piece of paper may not be exactly the same as that on the butcher's paper and the chess players, after playing a hard game of chess didn't check the number that closely, and simply allowed the suggestion that they were the same to be planted in their minds. The first number being wrong makes it even more unlikely that the chess players will check the number at all. It is probably something akin to the idea that spelling doesn't really matter and as long as all the letters are there, the mind glosses over the exact order very easily.

Desmond
21-10-2007, 09:52 AM
I suspect you're right sleepless. It is really difficult to tell because we get to see what he writes up on the butcher's paper very clearly but it would appear the contents of the envelope is washed out on the video and so we are basing the trick on the impression planted in the minds of the chess players.You can read all the numbers when it is first unrolled, and they do match what was written on the board.

Rincewind
21-10-2007, 11:24 AM
You can read all the numbers when it is first unrolled, and they do match what was written on the board.

Ah, so he has planted the suggestion in your mind too. :P

Desmond
21-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Ah, so he has planted the suggestion in your mind too. :P
<Jedi hand wave> These are not the numbers you're looking for. :P </Jedi hand wave>