PDA

View Full Version : At which stage of a chess game is strategy the most intricate?

Greekster
17-10-2007, 08:21 AM
This poll is for those whose opening repertoire is of the positional type (e.g. 1.d4, castling on the same side, etc...), rather than for those who go for a tactical slugfest in most of their games. This poll also assumes that you play through your openings while formulating your plans behind each move, rather than bashing out the opening moves through memorization only.

I know this question is too general and varies from game to game, but from your own playing experience which phase of the game do you find that developing plans and assessing imbalances is at its deepest level?

CameronD
17-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Answer- All of them.

That's like asking...

... there are 4 ducks in a lake, how deep is the lake at its deepest point??

Greekster
17-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Personally, when I study my openings (absorbing the long-term plans behind each move) and the middlegames arising from my openings, I find these five phases of the game very different in strategic depth. Generally I find moves 15 to 20 the most difficult part to find the best plan (which will usually shape the rest of the game), while moves 5 to 15 the strategic aims are much easier to formulate, especially when opening theory has already established the pawn structure for you.

WhiteElephant
17-10-2007, 10:55 AM
moves 5 to 15 the strategic aims are much easier to formulate, especially when opening theory has already established the pawn structure for you.

What about when someone plays an unorthodox opening? Then you're in big trouble.

Aaron Guthrie
17-10-2007, 01:14 PM
"At which stage of a chess game is strategy the deepest?"
Obviously the answer is either the first move of the game, or the last move of the game!

eclectic
17-10-2007, 01:30 PM
"game strategy" = deepest iff game = "bunge jumping" && "first move" @* "last move"

:owned:

*if not showing up... ~ over = -> might equal or amost equals

littlesprout85
17-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Grr-

Wazz^ with this thread, :eek:

Sprouty cant vote on this cause every move is deep to da sprout- let the pros in here state-Even that first move-unothadox Got to be deep right off da bat- Every move is even more deeper than the last -CriKeys - sometimes games dont last but ten moves-:)

Sometimes if your a fighter- it will last til move 50 -(Sprouty gets tired thinking about those rounds) so cant really answer this poll without some changes plz to the thread. some fine tunage and this thread can go far-RawR !!!

-Sprout :)

Desmond
17-10-2007, 11:19 PM
At which stage of a chess game is strategy the most intricate?Good question. Aside from the obvious "it varies a lot" throwaway answer, I'd say the early middlegame. This is when players are usually running out of book moves, and fight for the advantage with their own strategies. I'd say most often moves 15-20.

littlesprout85
20-10-2007, 08:43 PM
right-right

Sprout would agree with boris :) if the match is setting up right- the middle game is where all the exacuted - Its Really starts in the beginning with whites opening move that sets the game in certain direction.:hmm:

-Sprout :)