PDA

View Full Version : Correspondence Chess - The road to improvement

shaun
13-06-2004, 12:48 PM
This is a shameless plug for the Correspondence Chess League of Australia (CCLA). The CCLA is
running short of members (less than 500 now) and is asking that those who do play (such as
myself) to encourage others to join up.
The cost is only $16 a year ($8.00 for students and pensioners) and for that you get the
Australian Correspondence Chess Quarterly (4 issues a year) and the opportunity to play in
CCLA organised tournaments.
The general tournaments are free to enter, while championship events have a small entry fee
(usually $10). There is also a number of email tournaments (my usual choice of event), which
are free to enter. Further details are available at http://www.ccla.asn.au . To join just send
$16 (or $8) the CCLA, GPO Box 2360, Sydney NSW, 2001

Why play correspondence chess? For players already playing over the board (OTB), the obvious
answer is "To Improve". Especially for younger players, good study habits and analysis
techniques are something that you need to really leap ahead. By playing correspondence chess
you get to develop these skills instead of being caught up in the "thud and blunder" of
endless blitz games. You will also be playing a number of games at once (11 in championship
events or 6 in more casual events), which keeps you constantly working on your chess. And of
course the time limit (usually 2 or 3 days per move) gives you the chance to develop a more
thoughtful approach to analysing your games.
So my suggestion to players who wish to improve, and haven't found a good approach to doing so
is: Try Correspondence Chess, you'll be suprised at what you discover.

Trent Parker
13-06-2004, 01:27 PM
I intend on joining at some time or another. I made enquiries last year but didnt get around to joining. Earlier this year i tried to download a form from the website but it was not working... have to check again.

I also have been interested in correspondence chess since reading CJS Purdy's "How Purdy Won". Have not had the time to play through all the games but it does seem interesting.

Trent Parker
15-06-2005, 01:04 AM
I really want to Join the CCLA.

But on the CCLA Website if you click on "Join the CCLA" it all it gives you is "Write to the Secretary, CCLA, GPO Box 2360, Sydney, NSW, 2001"

Now What is the point in writing to the secretary for them to return some information to me so then i can write back to them to join???

It doesn't make sense.

Why not just put the forms on the web and keep the to-and-fro-ing to a minimum.

shaun
15-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Yes, sometimes it isn't that clear. But what I did was just send a money order for $16 plus my name/address to the Secretary and everything was fine.

Sutek
15-06-2005, 10:01 AM
CCLA also has email tournaments and members can now play on the new ICCF web server.
Which from my experience is the best thing that ever happen to CC!

Web server takes care of all time keeping, has a chess board for making moves etc..

URL is..
http://www.iccf-webchess.com/

You can enter tournaments online or you can contact the international secretary direct.

Tim Runting
runting@bigpond.net.au

Regards
Sutek

Trent Parker
15-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks Shaun and Sutek

Is the membership rates on the ccla webpage anywhere?

Sutek
15-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks Shaun and Sutek

Is the membership rates on the ccla webpage anywhere?

Membership is $16 per a year (pensioners & students $8) which includes the magazine as well.

More details are on the first post by Shaun.

But you my be right about the rates not being on the web site.

Regards
Sutek

Trent Parker
15-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Membership is $16 per a year (pensioners & students $8) which includes the magazine as well.

More details are on the first post by Shaun.

Oops :uhoh:

thanks again....

Aaron Bellette
25-06-2005, 05:36 PM
I have converted the CCLA Order form into a PDF file that I would be happy to e-mail to anyone interested. Please send me an e-mail and I'll return it with the file and the CCLA's postal address.

AB

bergil
26-06-2005, 12:06 AM
A friend of mine wanted to know where he could get games of John Kellner's. He thought he was a correspondence master in the 50's & 60's. Can anyone point him in the right direction, are there any books with his games in them?

FM_Bill
05-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Check out ozbase on the acf.

I have a book the first 50 years of the CCLA or something like that.
There are some Kellner games, all these games are probably in Ozbase.

Davidflude
09-10-2005, 03:40 PM
There are two sites which are now running Internet tournaments where you enter moves and they are recorded on an on-line database, ICCF and Chessfriend.com I am playing on both and they both work seamlessly.

Both overcome the big hassles of correspondence and Email chess.

1) people cheating on time

2) moves going astray

3) Windows crashes

Dozy
09-10-2005, 04:21 PM
A friend of mine wanted to know where he could get games of John Kellner's. He thought he was a correspondence master in the 50's & 60's. Can anyone point him in the right direction, are there any books with his games in them?
There are 27 of Kellner's games and a few paragraphs of biography at this url:
http://www.chessgames.com/player/john_kellner.html

The last time I saw Kellner he was comparing young Ian Rogers' simul at Circular Quay (about 1979/80).

I had the distinction being the first person to lose their game and the TV crew wanted to get a pic of my game -- but I called the presenter "Love" and got totally ostracised...

Frank Walker
09-10-2005, 04:36 PM
I would get my son to play but cant people cheat by asking others what to do or using the computer

shaun
09-10-2005, 09:29 PM
I would get my son to play but cant people cheat by asking others what to do or using the computer

Sure but that should not be a reason not to play, unless the only reason to play is to win.
When I play CC I assume my opponents are NOT using a chess computer or other outside assistence. And even if they are I am not concerned, simply because my reason for playing CC is to see how well I can play, not how many people I can make lose. So if it turns out I am playing someone whose ability has been enhanced by a silicon brain, all the more challenge.

Having said all that , based on post game analysis of my games I could count the number of opponents who I believe broke the "no computer" rule in CCLA events on 1 finger.

bergil
10-10-2005, 02:07 AM
There are 27 of Kellner's games and a few paragraphs of biography at this url:
http://www.chessgames.com/player/john_kellner.html

The last time I saw Kellner he was comparing young Ian Rogers' simul at Circular Quay (about 1979/80).

I had the distinction being the first person to lose their game and the TV crew wanted to get a pic of my game -- but I called the presenter "Love" and got totally ostracised...
Thank mate :clap:

Davidflude
10-10-2005, 05:05 PM
One of my opponents who is beating me not only uses a computer. He generates strings of non forced conditional moves according to what his computer thinks is best play.

The reason I am losing is not that I am playing a computer but because I followed the wrong plan in the early middle game.

BearDrinkingBeer
06-02-2011, 03:46 PM
This is a shameless plug for the Correspondence Chess League of Australia (CCLA). The CCLA is
running short of members (less than 500 now) and is asking that those who do play (such as
myself) to encourage others to join up.
The cost is only $16 a year ($8.00 for students and pensioners) and for that you get the
Australian Correspondence Chess Quarterly (4 issues a year) and the opportunity to play in
CCLA organised tournaments.
The general tournaments are free to enter, while championship events have a small entry fee
(usually $10). There is also a number of email tournaments (my usual choice of event), which
are free to enter. Further details are available at http://www.ccla.asn.au . To join just send
$16 (or $8) the CCLA, GPO Box 2360, Sydney NSW, 2001

Why play correspondence chess? For players already playing over the board (OTB), the obvious
answer is "To Improve". Especially for younger players, good study habits and analysis
techniques are something that you need to really leap ahead. By playing correspondence chess
you get to develop these skills instead of being caught up in the "thud and blunder" of
endless blitz games. You will also be playing a number of games at once (11 in championship
events or 6 in more casual events), which keeps you constantly working on your chess. And of
course the time limit (usually 2 or 3 days per move) gives you the chance to develop a more
thoughtful approach to analysing your games.
So my suggestion to players who wish to improve, and haven't found a good approach to doing so
is: Try Correspondence Chess, you'll be suprised at what you discover.
After you join the CCLA, will they provide a list of tournaments currently open to play?

Also, there's no way of joining ICCF web server tournaments directly without being a member of an affiliated national correspondence organisation, right?

Garrett
06-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I have found correspondence chess to be a fun way to improve.

The site I play at is quite good :- chess.com.

Computer assistance is not allowed and I don't think many people cheat.

Basic membership there is free.

The site also has videos, tactics training, chess mentor, articles, forums, vote chess.

I am a member of team Australia there and we play in league matches against other countries which adds a lot of interest.

cheers Garrett.

lost
06-02-2011, 05:44 PM
I have found correspondence chess to be a fun way to improve.

The site I play at is quite good :- chess.com.

Computer assistance is not allowed and I don't think many people cheat.

Basic membership there is free.

The site also has videos, tactics training, chess mentor, articles, forums, vote chess.

I am a member of team Australia there and we play in league matches against other countries which adds a lot of interest.

cheers Garrett.

Garrett,

How does one obtain an ICCF rating? Like do you have to play 9 games to get one? Is there "blocks" at all? What are the requirements?

lost

Garrett
06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Garrett,

How does one obtain an ICCF rating? Like do you have to play 9 games to get one? Is there "blocks" at all? What are the requirements?

lost

Hello Lost

I don't know as I don't play at ICCF.

The site I play at has it's own rating system.

cheers Garrett.

lost
06-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Hello Lost

I don't know as I don't play at ICCF.

The site I play at has it's own rating system.

cheers Garrett.

Garrett,

Not having a go now, but you mean to tell me there is no International Correspondence Rating System at all?

lost

Garrett
07-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Garrett,

Not having a go now, but you mean to tell me there is no International Correspondence Rating System at all?

lost

There probably is, but I am not the person to ask.

What I am saying is, I play correspondence chess at Chess.com which has its own internal rating system for correspondence play (and separate rating systems for bullet, blitz, and standard chess).

Cheers Garrett.

Bill Gletsos
07-02-2011, 12:06 PM
You can check out ICCF ratings here (http://www.iccf.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=43).

Brian_Jones
19-01-2015, 07:08 AM
Better at https://www.iccf.com/RatingList.aspx

Davidflude
03-02-2015, 08:16 PM
The Australian correspondence Chess League.

I strongly recommend the Australian Correspondence Chess,

1) you will earn an ICCF rating and if you are good enough you may earn International Master, Senior International Master and Grandmaster titles.

2) As you improve you can play in tougher and tougher tournaments.

3) You will receive copies of "The Australian Correspondence Chess Quarterley"

4) There are a wide range of tournaments including fixed openings tournaments and Fischer random Chess tournaments.

Desmond
08-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Do you know of anywhere to find high-rated corro FR games to play through David?

Brian_Jones
17-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Do you know of anywhere to find high-rated corro FR games to play through David?

www.iccf.com

RiverHollow
15-08-2015, 04:47 AM
Can Australians still play ICCF tournaments, is the CCLA still alive?