PDA

View Full Version : Junior Training Chess Camp inc Simul and Hourglass Blitz - Carlton Beach

Kevin Bonham
13-10-2007, 10:58 PM
This weekend the TCA's running a junior training camp at Podhale, Carlton Beach, including coaching from our special import coach Carl Gorka who is doing an excellent job.

There are 28 students split into three ability-level groups. Tonight the students plus ten adults played in what we believe to be Tasmania's first ever tournament using hourglass time controls; the number of players may be a record for a Tasmanian lightning event as well. The time control was 90 seconds hourglass (for those not familiar with this method, each side starts with 90 seconds. As each player's clock ticks their own time goes down and their opponent's goes up, like an egg timer. If you run out of time, ie your opponent has used 90 seconds less than you, you lose.

Yours truly created great entertainment for the spectators by losing by illegal move (Qd1-h4) on about move 11 against Justin Hood in round two, while being a pawn up at the time.

10/10 Carl Gorka 2240/2064
8 Alastair Dyer 1738j
7.5 Nigel Frame 1794
6.5 Kevin Bonham 1960 Glen Gibbs 1748
6 Justin Hood 1298j, Vincent Horton 1419j, Ross George 1687, Russell Horton 1350, Owen Short 995j, Mason Carter UNRj, James Briant 1041j, Andrew Fifield 1313j, Tom Krasnicki UNR
5.5 Charlie Smith 1176j
5 Nick Hunn 651j, Kieran Davis UNRj, Harry Briant 361j, Erica Davis UNRj, Mitchell Reid UNRj, Josh Davis UNRj, Ellyn Carter UNRj, Thomas Hindle UNRj, Shaun Ferrier UNRj
4.5 Will Jose UNRj, Luke Rawlings UNRj
4 Adam Carter UNR, Haki George UNRj, Alina Krasnicki UNRj, John Hood UNR, Will Lord UNRj, Teddy Jeanneret UNRj, Sebastian Krasnicki UNRj
3 Mellissa Harvey UNR, Xavier Scully UNRj
2.5 Ashley Morris UNRj
1.5 Arjian Ahearne UNRj
0 Madeline Krasnicki UNRj

A very impressive score for Mason Carter finishing ahead of some of the rated or soon-to-be-rated juniors. He was the winner of B group; Erica Davis, Josh Davis and Hindle tied for C group and Dyer was the winner of A group with all the juniors on 6 except for Carter tied for second in A group.

Carl Gorka simul Sunday starting c. 1 pm, gold coin donation, all welcome.

Garvinator
13-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Tasmania's first ever tournament using hourglass time controls; the number of players may be a record for a Tasmanian lightning event as well. The time control was 90 seconds hourglass (for those not familiar with this method, each side starts with 90 seconds. As each player's clock ticks their own time goes down and their opponent's goes up, like an egg timer. If you run out of time, ie your opponent has used 90 seconds less than you, you lose. What did you think of the hourglass time control method?

Kevin Bonham
13-10-2007, 11:13 PM
What did you think of the hourglass time control method?

It's rather like playing with short increments in the way you can get "on the rack" and find it very hard to get off it again. Another way in which it is similar is that if you have a blatantly won position you should be able to win it whatever your time situation.

The games don't seem to drag on forever, although they have a potential to do so if players match each other's times in a complex position.

There were some quite good games, but that happens in blitz events as well.

I didn't find it inferior to other blitz controls in any way; it was good fun.

Kevin Bonham
14-10-2007, 04:02 PM
In the simul held today Carl played 32 players (24 juniors and 8 adults, half of the adults being rated in the 1700s or high 1600s) scoring +20=6-6

Wins were acheived (in approx order of completion) by Erica Davis, Glen Gibbs, Alina Krasnicki, Russell Horton, Ross George, and last to win was Alastair Dyer who won with a neat pawn breakthrough in an OCB ending.

Draws to Mason Carter, Andrew Kruup, Charlie Smith, Will Lord, Jamie Briant and Andrew Fifield.

It was quite an informal simul. Carl took white on all boards and allowed two passes per player; discussion of games in progress wasn't actively discouraged.

Kruupy
14-10-2007, 05:04 PM
The camp was great fun.
Left the simul feeling pretty good about myself, the simul definatly bosted my morale a lot and helped me be more confident about my game, especially my opening knowing that I managed to not make any severe errors. It must have been very difficult and mentally challenging for Carl to go through that.

Overall a great weekend :)

Capablanca-Fan
15-10-2007, 04:24 PM
In the simul held today Carl played 32 players (24 juniors and 8 adults, half of the adults being rated in the 1700s or high 1600s) scoring +20=6-6

Wins were acheived (in approx order of completion) by Erica Davis, Glen Gibbs, Alina Krasnicki, Russell Horton, Ross George, and last to win was Alastair Dyer who won with a neat pawn breakthrough in an OCB ending.

Draws to Mason Carter, Andrew Kruup, Charlie Smith, Will Lord, Jamie Briant and Andrew Fifield.

It was quite an informal simul. Carl took white on all boards and allowed two passes per player; discussion of games in progress wasn't actively discouraged.
I presume you didn't play? And if not, rightly so, given the small rating diff.

I'm interested in your experience about how many rating points a simul player drops on average, with say 10 games, 20 games. On any given board, there are other factors, e.g. the simul-giver concentrating on those he thinks are the strongest, meaning that weaker players are sometimes the winners; or less concentration against the younger players.

BTW, here is an unlikely humourous simul over different game types (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdMzP3-P6rM); for one thing the simul player is on the outside, which is illogical.

Kevin Bonham
15-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I presume you didn't play? And if not, rightly so, given the small rating diff.

Yeah, I didn't play, although the smallish rating diff (at least on ACF ratings) was only part of my reason for wimping out. There was limited space and I wanted to make sure all the juniors who wanted to got a shot, and also I thought it would be fun to just watch and play boy reporter for the day (and it was!)

Had I played I probably would have been crushed inside 30 moves given the treatment Carl dished out to the two ex-state champions who did face him. :eek:

I'm interested in your experience about how many rating points a simul player drops on average, with say 10 games, 20 games. On any given board, there are other factors, e.g. the simul-giver concentrating on those he thinks are the strongest, meaning that weaker players are sometimes the winners; or less concentration against the younger players.

I haven't personally watched enough simuls to say in detail. I've found that a 2300 and up player will be able to win at least 90% against say twenty 1000-2000 level players, while when GM Johansen gave simuls here he would score in the ninety-percents against as many as forty such.

Also, there's simuls and there's simuls. Carl was playing after coaching all morning, in a small room and under time pressure as parents were coming to pick children up. Not comparable to a player giving a simul after a day on holidays.

Carl Gorka
16-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks, all you from Tassie, it was a great experience:) Hopefully all the kids got something from it as well in chess terms.

The hourglass tournament was fun but a bit nerve wracking, although no worse than blitz in my opinion. It's like playing with an increment but the better your move, the bigger the increment. Some of the adults were also playing with an alcohol handicap:clap:

The simul....well, I'm surprised the score was that high:lol: It was great fun and some really good chess was played.

The star of the weekend in my opinion was Mason Carter, but everyone did good.

All in all, a good fun weekend. Thanks to everyone involved in making it happen:)

Kevin Bonham
21-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Few photos from the simul. Mellissa Harvey has more (and doubtless better):

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/therealsleepycat/gorka1.jpg

Let the battle commence!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/therealsleepycat/gorka2.jpg

Most of the strong juniors, and a couple of not-so-juniors (Glen Gibbs and Andrew Kruup) were arranged along this line. Jamie Briant (checking out the games a few steps ahead of Carl) perhaps thinks he would like to be a simul-giver someday!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/therealsleepycat/gorka3.jpg

The home team wins its first two games with the French Defence in this corner: ...Ba3# is about to arrive (from a Closed Tarrasch, of course!) and Gibbs has crashed through in the Winawer.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/therealsleepycat/gorka4.jpg

Almost all over with just three games in progress. Justin Hood and Kieren Davis will finally be ground down while Alastair Dyer (centre) is working out how to win the OCB ending that most of the spectators including me wrongly suspect will be a draw.

Basil
21-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Good work Carl. Good work Kev. That is all.