PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Championships

Davidflude
01-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Playing dates: Thursday Nov. 15, round 1.
Saturday Nov 17 rounds 2 and 3
Sunday. Nov. 18 make up rounds
Tuesday Nov. 20 round 4
Thursday Nov. 22 round 5
Saturday Nov. 24 rounds 6 and 7
Sunday Nov. 25 rounds 8 and 9

Venue: Emulation Hall 3 Rochester Road Canterbury.

Format: Championship. A round robin format with 10 players.
Reserves. A round robin format with 10 players.
Prize fund: Championship 1st $1200 and plaque 2nd $600 and medal
3rd $300 and medal
Reserves 1st $400 and medal
2nd $200 and medal
3rd $100 and medal

Qualifications: Participation in the Championship is limited to 10 players,
who are members of a chess club affiliated
with Chess Victoria Inc.
The 2006 Champion and runner up. The 2006 reserves winner
The remaining places to highest rated players entering before the closing of entries.
Participation in the Reserves is limited to 10 players,
who are members of a chess club affiliated with Chess Victoria Inc.
The 2006 qualifier.
The remainig places to highest rated players [not qualifying for the championship] entering before the closing of entries.

Closing of Entries: Championship and Reserves Saturday November 10 8.00 PM

Fees: Championship Full fees $75
Reserves Full fees $60
FIDE GMs WGM, IM and WIM exempt

Rate of play. 90 minutes per player per game plus 30 sec. From move 1
Starting times week nights 7.30 PM, Saturday, Sundays 10.00 AM 3.00 PM
Postponements By agreement between players
As there have has been much interest from players who may be on the fringe if there are many highly rated entrants, so early expressions of interest from all eligible players would be much appreciated.
Enter with the secretary Kerry Lyall email: boxhillchess@bigpond.com
or mobile 0407 363 336

Metro
01-10-2007, 10:55 PM
No qualifying tournament?(as in previous years)

eclectic
03-10-2007, 01:27 AM
No qualifying tournament?(as in previous years)

they might as well also combine the championships and reserves to make it a 19 round single round robin tournament

ER
03-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Sorry, haven't followed this at all so the question might sound irrelevant.
Is this an invitational tournament? Or anyone (myself for example) can just enter and play?
Cheers and good luck

eclectic
03-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Sorry, haven't followed this at all so the question might sound irrelevant.
Is this an invitational tournament? Or anyone (myself for example) can just enter and play?
Cheers and good luck

would seem to be first come best dressed

the championship would be for the ten highest ranked
the reserves would be for the next ten

D Dragicevic
03-10-2007, 06:16 PM
would seem to be first come best dressed

the championship would be for the ten highest ranked
the reserves would be for the next ten

well, that's how it always is...

as far as playing dates is concerned, I personally prefer the old way where we play at different venues on different days.. although it takes too long, it is more flexible for players..

ER
05-10-2007, 09:34 AM
thanks Eclecticus, thanks Domagoj
Cheers and good luck!

eclectic
25-10-2007, 05:57 PM
i wonder if the venue has been requisitioned as a polling booth location for november 24 :hmm:

ER
26-10-2007, 07:04 PM
i wonder if the venue has been requisitioned as a polling booth location for november 24 :hmm:

Maybe, for absentee voters? :rolleyes:
Cheers and good luck!

Davidflude
29-10-2007, 08:21 PM

I will check with Trevor Stanning.

Publicist
06-11-2007, 10:49 AM
There are only a few more days left to enter the championship and reserves tournament. !0 highest rated players for the championship next 10 for the reserves. Who will play will depend on who enters. Tournament details, schedule, and prize money are on the CV website http//chessvictoria.netfirms.com Email your entry to CV secretary Kerry Lyall boxhillchess@bigpond.com or
CV president gerrit.hartland@bigpond.com

Rhubarb
06-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Could you please confirm that both the Championship and Reserves are to be FIDE rated.

Thanks,
Greg Canfell

Publicist
06-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Both the Championship and the Reserves will indeed be FIDE rated

Davidflude
08-11-2007, 11:41 AM
The field for the Championship is looking stronger by the day. I will not name entries as there is a distinct possibility that strong players may miss out. Also I do not have an up to date list of entries.

Remember details are on the Chess Victoria website. Entries close on the tenth.

Publicist
10-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Entries received so far [at 12 noon Saturday November 10] are now up on the CV website http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com Anyone wishing to enter must do so before 8PM tonight by contacting the CV president either by email or telephone. Remember entries are accepted strictly on rating with lowest rated players who fall out of the top 20 bumped of the list

eremita
10-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Where can we see the entrants list on http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com ?

Bereaved
11-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Hello, David,

As you are online, and probably know where it is we should look, can you please tell me the exact url of the championships entries, please?

Thank you,

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Bill Gletsos
11-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Apparently they are currently not listed on the website due to an upload problem.

Publicist
12-11-2007, 01:48 AM
There was indeed an upload problem with the web site.The complete field for the championship and reserves is now finally up on the CV web site http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com The drawing of lots for positions in the draw will be held at the house of CV president Gerrit Hartland at 6 Andrew Street Forest Hill 3131 tonight at 8PM. The draw will be entered on the web site on completion. Mrs Hartland will draw the lots

MichaelBaron
12-11-2007, 02:00 AM
The drawing of lots for positions in the draw will be held at the house of CV president Gerrit Hartland at 6 Andrew Street Forest Hill 3131 tonight at 8PM. The draw will be entered on the web site on completion. Mrs Hartland will draw the lots

This is hilarious :)

Leonid Sandler
12-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Having a look to the list of entrees .
I have noticed that only 2 out of top 10 Victorian players are participating.
Its a pity that jewel in the crown of Chess Victoria are so poorly represented by top victorian chessplayers.
About my non participation: to play 6 games in space of 6 days including 4 games on Saturday and Sunday in one location is too much for a lot of reasons.I hope that in the future Chess Victoria officials will consult with top players before changing format and dates of such important tournament in CV calendar.

klyall
12-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Entries for the Victorian Championships 2007

Igor Goldenberg
Jesse Sales
Mirko Rujevic
Chris Wallis
Douglas Hamilton
Domagoj Dragicevic
Carl Gorka
Mariusz Pecak
David Hacche
Zvetozar Stojic

Reserves

Eugene Schon
Chris Brooks
Francisco Chung
Jose Escribano
Narelle Szuveges
David Flude
Bill Reid
John Beckman
Sarah Anton
Isaac Ng

klyall
12-11-2007, 08:10 PM
2007 Vic Championship - Round 1

The draw for the 2007 Vic Championship is as follows:

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Result Name Feder Rtg Loc

1 Dragicevic, Domagoj 2139 : Rujevic, Mirko 2216
2 Wallis, Chris 2202 : Sales, Jesse 2312
3 Gorka, Carl 2064 : Pecak, Marius 2053
4 Goldenberg, Igor 2391 : Hacche, David 2048
5 Hamilton, Douglas 2154 : Stojic, Zvetozar 1904

The draw for the Reserves will be posted shortly.

Kerry Lyall
Secretary
Chess Victoria

klyall
12-11-2007, 08:35 PM
2007 Vic Reserves - Round 1
Results

No Name Feder Rtg Loc Result Name Feder Rtg Loc

1 Brooks, Chris 1803 : Schön, Eugene 1888
2 Escribano, Jose 1700 : Anton, Sarah 1256
3 Flude, David 1679 : Ng, Isaac 1206
4 Beckman, John 1618 : Chung, Francisco 1761
5 Reid, Bill 1648 : Szuveges, Narelle 1699

Metro
12-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Having a look to the list of entrees .
I have noticed that only 2 out of top 10 Victorian players are participating.
Its a pity that jewel in the crown of Chess Victoria are so poorly represented by top victorian chessplayers.
About my non participation: to play 6 games in space of 6 days including 4 games on Saturday and Sunday in one location is too much for a lot of reasons.I hope that in the future Chess Victoria officials will consult with top players before changing format and dates of such important tournament in CV calendar.

I think in the past,when played over 7 or 8 weeks it was too long(difficult to maintain interest?).
Now over 1 1/2 weeks it may be too short a period(one extreme to another?)
given some players are working also.

Perhaps best to play max.1 game per day.

Can we have thoughts of IM Sandler,FM Goldenberg and FM Baron regarding format?

Publicist
13-11-2007, 03:50 AM
The field last year [in no particular order] consisted of Goldenberg, Stojic [D], Pecak, Dragicevic, Rujevic, Levi, Hacche, Pyke, Gorka, Sandler, Skiotis.
In this year Hamilton, Wallis, Sale, Stojic [Z]

eremita
13-11-2007, 07:33 AM
Hi all,
I just noticed that pairings for "2007 Vic Reserves - Round 9" is wrong, refering to Reserve tournament.
Cheers

Garvinator
13-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi all,
I just noticed that pairings for "2007 Vic Reserves - Round 9" is wrong, refering to Reserve tournament.
Cheers
Where are you seeing all of the pairings?

MichaelBaron
13-11-2007, 11:21 AM
I think in the past,when played over 7 or 8 weeks it was too long(difficult to maintain interest?).

Can we have thoughts of IM Sandler,FM Goldenberg and FM Baron regarding format?

As far as format is concerned...playing so many games over short period of time is quite stressful for ppl who are trying to persue activities other than chess while fighting for the state title.

As far as location is concerned, from now onwards - we can bet - all the major events will take place at Canterbury CC. There is no point in stopping to pretend that Canterbury CC = Chess Victoria. This is something that other clubs had to keep in mind when they were voting for the current CV administration. They knew what they were voting for!

Personally, I would not be able to play irrespectively of the format (too busy with other things at the moment).

One more point - I am very curious how we can have a full time chess club (MCC) that is open 7x24 that got adequate facilities but neverthless is never invited to hold state federation- approved events? This "chess politics" is simply ridiculous!

Afitz
13-11-2007, 05:13 PM
This "chess politics" is simply ridiculous!

So very true....but then it's sad that i can't see it disappearing in a hurry without some form of major overhaul of everything. Still whilst ever people have the opportunity to play chess, and events succeed or at least meet expectations all power to those doing their part to make things happen.

klyall
13-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Met said

"I think in the past,when played over 7 or 8 weeks it was too long(difficult to maintain interest?).

Can we have thoughts of IM Sandler,FM Goldenberg and FM Baron regarding format?"

Met you obviously have a Met (ropolitan) view of things. The Chess Victoria Committee was trying to arrange a tournament where people from the country could potentially play. There is the facility for make up games on Sunday.

Chess Victoria has to represent ALL Victorian chess players - not just those who live in the Melbourne Metropolitan area.

Just try and organise a chess tournament where

Monday nights - Melbourne Chess Club play a tournament
Tues nights - Box Hill Chess Club play a tournament'
Wed - night - Dandenong Chess Club play a tournament
Thurs night - Croydon Chess Club play a tournament
Frid night - Box Hill Chess Club play a tournament
Sat afternoon - Noble Park Chess club play a tournament - Elwood Chess Club also meet on a Sat afternoon
Sat night - Darkhorse Chess play a tournament
Sun - Whitehorse Chess play a tournament once a month

:wall: Oh dear - there is no time left in the week!:wall:

It is extremely difficult to schedule a time where it will not offend one of the Chess Victoria affiliated clubs.

It also means that it is difficult to find an arbiter who is available.

Trying to squeeze the tournament near the Elwood weekender and the Masters being held at Noble Park was very difficult.

How Dare You ask chess players to criticise the hard work of VOLUNTEERS without finding out why they have organised a tournament in a certain way!

:hand: How much voluntary work you have contributed to the whole of the Victorian Chess Community - not just one or two clubs - this year ???

I could say - get a life.

Rather - I say - get into Chess Administration - with no pay - and see how much you like being criticised for trying your best.

Bill Gletsos
13-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Rather - I say - get into Chess Administration - with no pay - and see how much you like being criticised for trying your best.Join the queue behind me. ;)

Basil
13-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Join the queue behind me. ;)
I don't want to get caught up in the Met/ Lyall thing as I haven't followed it, but as far as the queue thing goes, all I can say is that it's a bloody long queue!

Axiom
13-11-2007, 08:14 PM
How Dare You ask chess players to criticise the hard work of VOLUNTEERS without finding out why they have organised a tournament in a certain way!

:hand: How much voluntary work you have contributed to the whole of the Victorian Chess Community - not just one or two clubs - this year ???

Rather - I say - get into Chess Administration - with no pay - and see how much you like being criticised for trying your best.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bereaved
13-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi Kerry,

You are undoubtedly correct in feeling aggrieved with someone criticising you whilst involved in chess administration. My suggestion - Cope with it!! Chess administration is a thankless job, and one must have a bit of the masochist about them to do it - speaking from personal experience.

Do you know who Met is? Do you know he got a round of applause at the conclusion of the Elwood Bendigo Weekender, a tournament that you richly praised, as being one of the most undervalued contributors, one who was busy setting up and packing up the event long after others were gone, or they arrived?

Perhaps before you start off with a spray at someone, you should perhaps know who it is you are attacking.

Now in regard to the tournament, the Victorian Championships, I appreciate that you are trying a new format. I think it is awful, poorly thought out, and hence have not entered. The idea that you are trying to accommodate country players is a noble one, but the format is too short. It is also a bit much to play the last 4 rounds in two days. Sorry that I must say this, but this is the reason that the field this year is weaker than the field last year. Note that this is not a reference to myself.

Oh and as an additional piece of information for you, I would like to suggest that Met has also been involved in an active capacity at Elwood chess club, much longer than you have been involved in chess in total. Met is a top bloke, and you perhaps might, I stress might, consider apologising to him,

Spiny Norman
14-11-2007, 06:17 AM
Chess Victoria has to represent ALL Victorian chess players - not just those who live in the Melbourne Metropolitan area.
<snip>
It is extremely difficult to schedule a time where it will not offend one of the Chess Victoria affiliated clubs.
Hi Kerry,

You're right about needing to represent everyone. I think "we" would all agree on that. Yes, it is difficult to schedule things in a way that it doesn't conflict with the published calendars of the club.

The key to avoiding offence is consultation. Things just seem to happen (e.g. formats change, dates change, or whatever). Even just a brief email, ahead of the decision, saying "We're thinking of changing the Championship from format X to format Y, on the following dates ... please give us feedback" could have avoided the charge of "lack of consultation".

We all appreciate the job that you and the others at CV are doing. Those (like me) that are involved in running clubs know that administration is a thankless task. Feedback is an important process in knowing how to do things better. If I were you, I would now be talking privately to people like Michael Baron and Met in order to solicit their support to organise some further format changes for next year.

Peace and tranquility!

Steve

Basil
14-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Peace and tranquility!
Or its close relative, "Serenity now!"

Spiny Norman
14-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Serenity now ... or else ... :eek:

Rincewind
14-11-2007, 08:19 AM

The key to success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made.

Igor_Goldenberg
14-11-2007, 10:40 AM
1. Met was running Elwood Chess Club for close to ten years, as well as helping a lot with all Elwood Bendigo Bank Championship.
2. The validity of criticism does not depend on the person who express it, but on the merits of the arguments
3. I do not personally like this year format for many reasons (4 games over 2 days is too much for me, 1,5 weeks for 9 games is too much, etc.) and had a lot of doubt before entering.
4. The format that was used for last 11 years almost always attracted majority of top players (with, perhaps, the exception of last year).

Davidflude
14-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Where are you seeing all of the pairings?

The pairings for all of the rounds of both the championship and reserves can be found on the chess Victoria website.

This is useful. For example I shall have to arrange with one of my opponents to play on a different night to avoid a clash with another event.

Remember these tournaments are round robins and games can be played at different times and dates provided all prior games are completed prior to the last round and that there are no postponents in the last round.

Davidflude
14-11-2007, 11:30 AM
A
One more point - I am very curious how we can have a full time chess club (MCC) that is open 7x24 that got adequate facilities but neverthless is never invited to hold state federation- approved events? This "chess politics" is simply ridiculous!

I am not on the Chess Victoria executive so I may be wrong on this point. I believe that chess Victoria asks for expressions of interest from the various clubs about running tournaments. So why not talk to The Melbourne Chess Club Committee and see which events you would like to run next year.

From my personal point of view driving to the Melbourne Chess Club is not much more difficult than driving to Box Hill. Which remins me when the new tollway is completed I will be able to drive to the Dandenong Chess Club in far less time and will play their annual open.

Metro
14-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Met said

"I think in the past,when played over 7 or 8 weeks it was too long(difficult to maintain interest?).

Can we have thoughts of IM Sandler,FM Goldenberg and FM Baron regarding format?"

Met you obviously have a Met (ropolitan) view of things. The Chess Victoria Committee was trying to arrange a tournament where people from the country could potentially play. There is the facility for make up games on Sunday.

Just try and organise a chess tournament where

Monday nights - Melbourne Chess Club play a tournament
Tues nights - Box Hill Chess Club play a tournament'
Wed - night - Dandenong Chess Club play a tournament
Thurs night - Croydon Chess Club play a tournament
Frid night - Box Hill Chess Club play a tournament
Sat afternoon - Noble Park Chess club play a tournament - Elwood Chess Club also meet on a Sat afternoon
Sat night - Darkhorse Chess play a tournament
Sun - Whitehorse Chess play a tournament once a month

:wall: Oh dear - there is no time left in the week!:wall:

It also means that it is difficult to find an arbiter who is available.

Trying to squeeze the tournament near the Elwood weekender and the Masters being held at Noble Park was very difficult.

I was just about to post a detailed response to this when a private apology was forthcoming.I accept.

You will note my post was devoted entirely to duration and format of Victorian Championship.A personal attack cannot be justified.

Also,I want to publicly thank Malcolm Pyke and Igor Goldenberg for their support.

queenant89
15-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Hey, Just a quick question- who do i need to contact because i need to postpone my game tomorrow nite and i can't contact my opponent??

morebeer
15-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Can someone tell me if there is a shopping strip within walking distance of the venue where food/drink can be purchased?...cheers

Bereaved
15-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi Morebeer,

Yes the Maling Road shops have a fair assortment of different types of food available for sale. It is all a bit pricey in truth as it is a fairly up market area, and it is especially worth being aware of the fact that the shops do not stay open late, and that few of them are open on Sundays at all. So I would say that on Sundays when you have games, be prepared to either bring your own, or have a limited amount to choose from.

morebeer
15-11-2007, 10:46 AM
thanks Malcolm...Bill

Davidflude
15-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi Morebeer,

Yes the Maling Road shops have a fair assortment of different types of food available for sale. It is all a bit pricey in truth as it is a fairly up market area, and it is especially worth being aware of the fact that the shops do not stay open late, and that few of them are open on Sundays at all. So I would say that on Sundays when you have games, be prepared to either bring your own, or have a limited amount to choose from.

If you have a car then it is a short drive to Whitehorse Road where there are much more down market food outlets. also you could drive back to Box Hill where there are a mass of Asian food outlets. Last but not least, If you drive down Canterbury Road to Camberwell there is a pub near the station which does very good meals on a Sunday.

One thing always use the pedestrian crossing if going to the Maling road shops.

morebeer
15-11-2007, 01:26 PM
If you have a car then it is a short drive to Whitehorse Road where there are much more down market food outlets. also you could drive back to Box Hill where there are a mass of Asian food outlets. Last but not least, If you drive down Canterbury Road to Camberwell there is a pub near the station which does very good meals on a Sunday.

One thing always use the pedestrian crossing if going to the Maling road shops.

cheers

Publicist
16-11-2007, 04:51 AM
The reults of round one for both the Championship and the Reserves are now available on the CV website http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com

Davidflude
16-11-2007, 01:08 PM
The results of round one for both the Championship and the Reserves are now available on the CV website http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com

I was crook as a dog last night. Fortunately i won my game. But afterwards I had extreme difficulty understanding the other games. Apologies to all the other players for my noisiness. I went to the Doctor who diagnosed the problem in seconds. The prescribed medicine is working already.

As far as I can see the only problem is that there are two rounds on election day. Maybe players and organizers should get postal votes.

Publicist
17-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Sensational results in the Vic Championship so far. Hacche and Hamilton equal first on 2.5/3 so far. Eugene Schön 3/3 in the reserves see Vic Chess website http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com for results . Make up games tomorrow

MichaelBaron
17-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Sensational results in the Vic Championship so far. Hacche and Hamilton equal first on 2.5/3 so far. Eugene Schön 3/3 in the reserves see Vic Chess website http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com for results . Make up games tomorrow

It is simply great to see veterans showing the younger generation they still got some catching up to do :clap:

Publicist
18-11-2007, 09:24 PM
After a catch up game Wallis has now joined the leaders with 2.5 out of 3, although Hacche has crept half point clear by the virtue of a game played in advance. Second ranked Jesse Sales is lagging behind at this stage. Eugene Schön remains comfortable in the reserves. See the web site for results and standings. http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com

morebeer
19-11-2007, 08:51 AM
For people who need to vote on Saturday, the closest polling station is the Presbyterian Church Hall, 146 Canterbury Road, Canterbury. I estimate it is a 500m walk from the playing venue.

Publicist
21-11-2007, 08:50 AM
The championship picture changes constantly and round 4 was no exeption
Rujevic defeats Hacche to lead with 3 / 4
Dragicevic and Stojic [Svetozar] score their first win.
Sales continous to postpone.
In the Reserves no such changes Reid and Brooks cannot quite catch up as Schön continous to win. Escribano does not turn up and needs to reconsider his position
See the CV website http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com for the latest standings and results

Carl Gorka
21-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Well I'm happy to be playing in what looks like a fairly open championship, perhaps Chris Wallis is showing the best form so far:) Unfortunately I play him Friday:eek:

I have some things to say about the format, but want to talk to the organisers before posting on here. One thing I will say now is that it would be nice to have a bulletin, or even just a game collection.

Nevertheless, well done on getting the event together folks:clap:

klyall
21-11-2007, 07:28 PM
:D A special cake has been organised for the Award Ceremony of the Victorian Championships on Sunday night, which will be held after the last game has finished. :D

Coffee,tea, biscuits will also be available. Gerrit Hartland and I will be bringing some wine.

All players are encouraged to attend.

Spectators and families are welcome.

Kerry Lyall
Secretary
Chess Victoria

Metro
21-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Nevertheless, well done on getting the event together folks:clap:
Well done to Kerry Lyall & co.:clap: :clap:

Publicist
23-11-2007, 07:31 AM
At the end of round 5 Rujevic has regained the lead with 4 from 5. Hacche is also on 4 but has played an extra game. Hamilton who is shadowing the leaders on 3,5 had a mixed day; a win against Sales in the afternoon and a loss to Dragicevic in the evening. The 2 outstanding games Stojic v Sales and Wallis v Gorka will be played later today.
In the reserves Schön continues his winning run by comprehensively beating Flude and Reid keeps himself in contention by defeating his second place rival Brooks. He is yet to play Eugene and will do so in the last round.
See the CV web site http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com for details.
The prize giving by the way is expected to take place about 7.30 on Sunday

Metro
25-11-2007, 01:42 AM
At the end of round 5 Rujevic has regained the lead with 4 from 5. Hacche is also on 4 but has played an extra game. Hamilton who is shadowing the leaders on 3,5 had a mixed day; a win against Sales in the afternoon and a loss to Dragicevic in the evening. The 2 outstanding games Stojic v Sales and Wallis v Gorka will be played later today.
In the reserves Schön continues his winning run by comprehensively beating Flude and Reid keeps himself in contention by defeating his second place rival Brooks. He is yet to play Eugene and will do so in the last round.
See the CV web site http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com for details.
The prize giving by the way is expected to take place about 7.30 on Sunday

Some Saturday results:Goldenberg def.Rucevic
Wallis def.Stojic

Some standings: Rucevic 4.5
Goldenberg 4

Publicist
25-11-2007, 05:22 AM
At the completion of round 7 things have tightened up at the top with Wallis, Gorka, and Rujevic all on 4.5 from 7 and Goldenberg, Sales, and Hacche, half a point behind. Anything can happen today with yet another play-off a possibility.
In the reserves no possibility of a play-off, Schön is romping home. The fight for second is interesting though where Szuveges has joined Reid on 4.5 and Flude and Chung are only a half point back.
Full results and today's draw may be viewed on the CV website http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com

Gringo
25-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Half a Cheer for Igor..:bandit:

klyall
25-11-2007, 09:59 AM
The special Vanilla Slice cake has arrived at the venue. It was so large I had difficulty fitting it in the refrigerator. :eek:

All are welcome to attend the prize giving which will be around 7.30 pm this evening. :clap:

Coffee, tea, chocolate biscuits, shortbread, a glass of wine will be available and of course - the Vic Championships cake. :lol:

Kerry Lyall
Secretary
Chess Victoria

Metro
25-11-2007, 11:00 PM
The special Vanilla Slice cake has arrived at the venue. It was so large I had difficulty fitting it in the refrigerator. :eek:

Buy a new refrigerator:lol:

Publicist
26-11-2007, 03:39 AM
Vic Championship Final Standing
Place Name Rtg Loc Score Berg. Wins

1-2 Goldenberg, I 2391 6 25.25 5
Rujevic, M 2216 6 24.50 5
3-4 Hacche, D 2048 5.5 22.75 4
Wallis, C 2202 5.5 21.25 5
5 Gorka, C 2064 5 22.00 3
6 Sales, J 2312 4.5 17.75 3
7 Hamilton, D 2154 4 15.25 3
8 Dragicevic, D 2139 3.5 17.75 2
9 Stojic, S 1904 3 10.50 3
10 Pecak, M 2053 2 9.00 1

Vic Reserves Final Standings
[Place Name Rtg Loc Score Berg. Wins

1 Schön, E 1888 9 35.00 8
2-3 Szuveges, N 1699 6 23.00 5
Chung, F 1761 6 15.00 5
4 Reid, B 1648 5.5 20.75 4
5-6 Flude, D 1679 4.5 13.50 3
Brooks, C 1803 4.5 12.50 4
7 Escribano, J 1700 3.5 10.75 3
8 Ng, I 1206 3 4.75 1
9 Anton, S 1256 2 9.25 1
10 Beckman, J 1618 1 2.50 0

See CVweb site for full details http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com

Carl Gorka
26-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Hey, well done Igor, I'd written you off earlier in the tournament. Just goes to show what a close event it really was. And well done to all participants, especially noteworthy Mirko coming equal first, and Hacche following on from his win at Noble Park:clap:

All pretty good, except for the defaults in the Reserves.....and well done Eugene for winning that one:clap:

morebeer
26-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Congrats to the organizers and the winners, particularly to Eugene on his perfect score...I found it a tough but highly enjoyable tournament (apart from an idiotic loss on time)...sorry I could not stay for the presentation but my better half had had enough of being a chess widow..cheers

Metro
26-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Congrats to the organizers and the winners, particularly to Eugene on his perfect score...I found it a tough but highly enjoyable tournament (apart from an idiotic loss on time)...sorry I could not stay for the presentation but my better half had had enough of being a chess widow..cheers

Congratulations to Igor,Mirko and Eugene:clap: :clap: :clap:

Carl Gorka
27-11-2007, 10:33 AM
OK, I agreed to put together the games form the tournament and I have gleaned some insights into the thinkings of the players from their scoresheet performances:D

Goldenberg: efficient
Rujevic: Hacks at the scoresheet
Hacche: must have been a doctor in a previous life
Wallis: neat and precise
Gorka: carefree
Sales: speaks a different language
Hamilton: doesn't know what day it is
Dragicevic: right hand side of the brain man
Stojic: solid
Pecak: ordered

:D :D

Davidflude
27-11-2007, 10:53 AM
My experience is that the format is very tough. This was not helped by postponements in all directions.

I noticably tired towards the end of the tournament. Perhaps the format could be repeated with the weekend games separated by a blank weekend and only
one game scheduled mid week.

I sought no postponements but suffered from heaps of them. Playing four club games in other events during the championship was also a strain.

Garvinator
27-11-2007, 11:13 AM
This was not helped by postponements in all directions.

I noticably tired towards the end of the tournament. Perhaps the format could be repeated with the weekend games separated by a blank weekend and only
one game scheduled mid week.

I sought no postponements but suffered from heaps of them. Playing four club games in other events during the championship was also a strain.
Seems like the organisers need to have a no postponement rule. This whole concept of postponement is a weird one and something I have never gotten.

I believe organisers should just say, you cant make the schedule, don't play or forfeit. I don't think postponements are fair on the person who is not postponing the game.

eclectic
27-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Seems like the organisers need to have a no postponement rule. This whole concept of postponement is a weird one and something I have never gotten.

I believe organisers should just say, you cant make the schedule, don't play or forfeit. I don't think postponements are fair on the person who is not postponing the game.

i sometimes wonder if at times postponements are used as an unsettling tactic

ER
28-11-2007, 04:10 PM
OK, I agreed to put together the games form the tournament and I have gleaned some insights into the thinkings of the players from their scoresheet performances:D

Goldenberg: efficient
Rujevic: Hacks at the scoresheet
Hacche: must have been a doctor in a previous life
Wallis: neat and precise
Gorka: carefree
Sales: speaks a different language
Hamilton: doesn't know what day it is
Dragicevic: right hand side of the brain man
Stojic: solid
Pecak: ordered

:D :D

Whoever plays against Stephanie Ang should check the way she keeps score of her moves. Meticulusly calligraphic, a work of art in itself. Apart from becoming a good chessplayer, Stephanie also shows absolute respect for her opponents, the rules and organisers by completing her score sheets in such a way.
Good on you Stephanie!
Cheers and good luck!

PS The same also applies for Guy West. His scoring is aesthetically pleasant! (His moves equally impressive of course)!

Publicist
28-11-2007, 08:34 PM
The arbiter was indeed fortunate that there were no claims based on the having to read the scoresheets of some of the players. There was no necessity of course as the behaviour and the courtecy of the players in the championship was impeccable.

D Dragicevic
28-11-2007, 09:06 PM
I know that I am a bit late with congratulations, but well done to both Mirko and Igor for finishing equal first.. Also, congratulations to Eugene Schon for a perfect score of 9/9...

Carl Gorka
01-12-2007, 02:59 PM
OMG, I've just seen the game Goldenberg-Wallis....what an amazing game by Igor! I was just wondering Igor, how much of this was prepared at home?

Carl Gorka
01-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Event: Victorian Championship
Site: Melbourne
Date: 2007.11.22
Round: 5
White: Goldenberg, I.
Black: Wallis, C.
Result: 1-0
ECO: A28
PlyCount: 77
EventDate: 2007.11.15

1. c4 e5 2. Nc3 Nf6 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. e3 Bb4 5. Qc2 O-O 6. Nd5 Bc5 7. a3 a5 8. Bd3
h6 9. h4 Re8 {Diagram #} 10. Ng5 {If Igor found this at the board then it is
very impressive. If not, then one has to feel sorry for Wallis who has to
endure another prepared opening sacrifice.} 10... hxg5 {
Again Wallis takes the material and goes for broke} 11. hxg5 e4 12. gxf6 (12.
Nxf6+ gxf6 13. Bxe4 f5 14. Bxf5 Nd4 15. Bh7+ Kf8 16. Qd1 Qxg5 {
and Black may be untangling}) 12... exd3 13. Qd1 g6 (13... gxf6 $2 14. Qg4+ Kf8
15. Rh8#) 14. Qg4 Re5 15. Qf4 Bf8 {Black has to guard h6} (15... d6 $2 16. Rh8+
$1 Kxh8 17. Qh6+ Kg8 18. Qg7#) 16. g4 $3 {
Diagram # Amazing play by Igor! Now Qh2 is a terrible threat} 16... Nd4 (16...
d6 17. Qh2 Rh5 18. gxh5 Ne5 {
staves off mate, but at the cost of too much material}) 17. Qxd4 {After all the
excitement, White is a pawn up, soon to be another when he takes on d3, and he
can defend his f6 pawn by f4 and g5. And all the time he can keep reminding
black of mate possibilities on the h-file.} 17... Bd6 18. f4 (18. Qxe5 {
would have capped off an amazing game, but Igor's move is also good enough})
18... c5 19. Qc3 Rxd5 20. cxd5 c4 21. g5 b5 22. Qd4 Qe8 23. Kf2 Bb7 24. f5 {
the h-file looms again} 24... Qe5 {
costs a piece but it appears the only way to stop mate} 25. Qh4 Qg3+ 26. Qxg3
Bxg3+ 27. Kxg3 Bxd5 28. Rf1 a4 29. b4 axb3 30. Bb2 Re8 31. fxg6 fxg6 32. f7+
Bxf7 33. Rh1 Kf8 34. Raf1 Ke7 35. Rh7 Rf8 36. Bg7 Ra8 37. Bc3 Rf8 38. e4 d6 39.
e5 {A beautiful game by the defending champion} 1-0

Carl Gorka
01-12-2007, 03:33 PM
And after all that excitement, it seems I have none of the round 6 games:(

Igor_Goldenberg
01-12-2007, 04:18 PM
OMG, I've just seen the game Goldenberg-Wallis....what an amazing game by Igor! I was just wondering Igor, how much of this was prepared at home?
I'd never played 10.Ng5 if it was prepared at home, as after 10...d6 black is somewhat better and not in any danger of an attack. I thought about 11.Bg6 fg6 12.Qxg6, but simple 12...Be6 leaves white broke.
In the game 13.Qxd3 g6 14.Rh6 would be quicker and more convincing. I missed 18.Qxe5, partly because I relaxed too early.

Igor_Goldenberg
01-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Are the games published somewhere?

Carl Gorka
01-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I'd never played 10.Ng5 if it was prepared at home, as after 10...d6 black is somewhat better and not in any danger of an attack. I thought about 11.Bg6 fg6 12.Qxg6, but simple 12...Be6 leaves white broke.
In the game 13.Qxd3 g6 14.Rh6 would be quicker and more convincing. I missed 18.Qxe5, partly because I relaxed too early.

Thanks for that and well played:)

The games aren't published yet, but I said I'd make a pgn and make a few notes, and send them to someone in Chess Victoria as it's a shame to have a state championship with no bulletin.

I'll send you a copy when I've finished just in case they don't get published;)

Metro
02-12-2007, 07:04 AM

Delightful game to play through:clap:

Publicist
02-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Some of the missing Vic championship games were inadvertently mixed in with the reserves games They are being sorted as we speak

Carl Gorka
27-12-2007, 06:20 PM
PGN sent off to CV reps. Sorry it took so long:(

klyall
28-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks to Fireeater for entering the games. :clap: They have been forwarded to the President and I hope will be available on the Chess Victoria website shortly.

Kerry Lyall
Secretary
Chess Victoria

Publicist
30-12-2007, 04:32 AM
Carl's report and the games with his annotations are now available on the CV
web site http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com I had some problems with the format