PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Australian University Rapidplay

tomek_rej
28-09-2007, 09:16 PM
The Sydney University Chess Club is proud to host the 2007 Australian Universities Rapid Championships! Participants from universities all over Australia are expected to take part in this event which should prove to be both an exciting tournament and a great social festival!
This event is open to all undergraduate and postgraduate students of all universities in Australia. Students of all skill levels (including novices) are encouraged to participate; the emphasis on this event is the fun and social side of the competition!

Dates: Monday 3 and Tuesday 4 December 2007. 10am-5pm on both days.
Venue: Level 4, Wentworth Building, Sydney University (corner of City Rd and Butlin Av, Darlington, NSW)
Tournament Format: Open Swiss, 9 rounds
Time Limit: 20 minutes per side + 10 seconds per move from move 1
Format: Universities may send as many players as they like. (Bona fide under graduate and post graduate students). The player finishing first will be the Australian Universities Rapid Champion and receive a trophy. There will be trophies for second and third place as well. Any university is eligible for the Team prize. However the best 3 scores will be added together to determine the Australian Universities Rapid Team Champion. There will be trophies for the teams finishing first, second and third.
Social Evening: A social get-together will be held on the evening of the first day. The emphasis is on the social side as well as the chess for this competition!
Food will also be provided at lunchtime on both days.
Entry fee: $10 per person, payable on the day. Please email your name and university to Tomek Rej to assist in the smooth running of the event.
Director of Play: International Arbiter Dr Charles Zworestine.
Contact: Tomek Rej. Email: atomikrej@gmail.com, Phone: (02)9874 3533 or Jenni Oliver. Email: jenni@stratagemcc.com.au, Phone: (02)6253 2848.
Web site: http://www.ug.it.usyd.edu.au/~trej7768/unirapid

sonyrobocup
30-09-2007, 12:21 AM
I think this is really University of Sydney chess championship. I don't think there will be more than 2 players from UNSW will enter.

dunwannapost
30-09-2007, 11:54 AM
There will be at least 1 Macq Uni person there and I'm sure more than 2 UNSW ppl will turn up.
I also believe some ANU students will be coming...

DanielBell
30-09-2007, 11:58 AM
If uni is off by then I'll go for UWS! haha

Denis_Jessop
30-09-2007, 12:32 PM
I think this is really University of Sydney chess championship. I don't think there will be more than 2 players from UNSW will enter.

That's what I like - a really positive attitude. With thinking like this Australian chess should just leap backwards. :evil:

DJ

1min_grandmaster
18-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Now that most uni students are finishing their exams, it's time to think about taking part in this chess festival, which starts in 2 weeks from now! Last year, I was one of the main organisers and everyone had a great time. It felt more like a party than a chess tournament; everyone had lots of fun!

Here is an email I just sent out to a number of chess-playing uni students that I know to encourage them to take part:

--------------------------------

Dear chess friends,

This email is meant for all current university students, regardless of whether you are an undergraduate or postgraduate, at which uni you are now at, or how good your chess is. Sorry if you are no longer at uni!

The 2007 Australian Universities Rapid Championships will take place in 2 weeks on Monday and Tuesday 3-4 December 2007. This event is not a very serious chess tournament, and is more like a bunch of uni students just hanging out at the end of the year to play some chess, eat some food, and take part in other fun activities! Details of the event are available on the following website, and the main points are repeated in this email:

http://www.ug.it.usyd.edu.au/~trej7768/unirapid/details.php

* Dates: Monday 3 and Tuesday 4 December 2007. 10am-5pm on both days.
* Venue: Level 4, Wentworth Building, Sydney University (corner of City Rd and Butlin Av, Darlington, NSW)
* Tournament Format: Open Swiss, 9 rounds
* Time Limit: 20 minutes per side + 10 seconds per move from move 1
* Format: Universities may send as many players as they like. (Bona fide under graduate and post graduate students). The player finishing first will be the Australian Universities Rapid Champion and receive a trophy. There will be trophies for second and third place as well. Any university is eligible for the Team prize. However the best 3 scores will be added together to determine the Australian Universities Rapid Team Champion. There will be trophies for the teams finishing first, second and third.
* Social Evening: A social get-together will be held after the first day. The emphasis is on the social side as well as the chess for * this competition!
* Food will also be provided at lunchtime on both days.
* Entry fee: $10 per person, payable on the day. Please email your name and university to Tomek Rej to assist in the smooth running of the event.
* Director of Play: International Arbiter Dr Charles Zworestine.
* Contact: Tomek Rej. Email: atomikrej@gmail.com, Phone: (02)9874 3533 or Jenni Oliver. Email: jenni@stratagemcc.com.au, Phone: (02)6253 2848.

Last year, this event attracted a healthy field, and all the players really had an enjoyable time. As well as the rapid tournament (the main event), there was also the hilarious chess-variants competition, social soccer (one of the 2006 players has now become a Nerds FC star!), yummy lunches (the cheap $10 entry fee covers this) and also an optional dinner at King St, Newtown. A summary of last year's event (2006) can be seen here:

http://www.it.usyd.edu.au/~jchan3/succ/aus_uni_rapid/results.html

This year's event should be even more fun, with more activities planned, new faces to meet, and possibly some additional prizes!
If you know in advance that you will take part in this festival, please enter online at this year's website:

http://www.ug.it.usyd.edu.au/~trej7768/unirapid/details.php

You can still just show up and enter on the day, but please enter online early if possible.

Hope to see you there!
Jason Chan.

--------------------------------

As you can see from last year's website, there were quite a lot of players from a variety of universities, many of them entering on the day (typical procrastination from university students). If you're a uni student, even if you don't know anyone there, come along, meet some new faces and hang out with other chess-playing uni students; you'll have a great time!