PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Canterbury Summer SWISS

TrueBeliever
28-09-2007, 07:24 PM
2008 CANTERBURY SUMMER SWISS
from January 5 to January 8
The second year of this Victorian event

A Chess Victoria approved 4 day 7 round swiss tournament starting Saturday January 5 and finishing January 8
sponsors: The Bendigo Bank Canterbury Community Bank
Canterbury Junior Chess Club Inc
Rate of Play: 75 min. per player per game plus 30 sec. per move from move one
Ratings: ACF rated
Entry fees: Early bird entry fee $45 Pay by January first
Or after that date Full entry fee $60
There is a special discount of $10 for Canterbury Junior and Darkhorse members
Entries close at 13.00 Saturday January 5
Free entry for Grand Masters and International Masters
Payments: Cash, or cheque to the Box Hill Chess Club Inc.
Entries: by mail to the address on the entry form or in person at the Box Hill Chess Club. Or via the web site: http://www.boxhillchess.org.au/

Enquiries: Trevor Stanning
Telephone: 9 898 7547 E-mail: trevors@bluep.com

Prizes
Total Prize fund $1500
First Prize $500
Second Prize $250
Third prize $150
6 ratings prizes $100 each

Playing schedule:
Saturday January 5 Round 1 14.30
Sunday January 6 Round 2 10.30 Round 3, 14.30
Monday January 7 Round 4 10.30 Round 5, 14.30
Tuesday January 8 Round 6 10.30 Round 7, 14.30
Prize giving Tuesday January 8 19.30 with light refreshments

Trent Parker
29-09-2007, 07:28 AM
OOh Berg isn't gunna be happy.

A tournament that clashes with Aus Champs......

Brian_Jones
29-09-2007, 08:29 AM
A tournament that clashes with Aus Champs......

Personally I have no problem with a weekend chess tournament in Melbourne for those unable to play in the Australian Championships in Parramatta.

But the timing and wording of this announcement does appear to be somewhat spiteful and an act of rebellion by Chess Victoria against the ACF.

The ACF has recently passed the following motion:

"no event be accepted as a GP event if any of the dates of that event will clash with any dates of the Australian Open or Australian Championship, or more than one date of the Australian Junior Championship."

Chess Victoria (and Box Hill) know that the ACF will not be happy but seem determined to cause a conflict.

On the other hand, the ACF started the dispute with their ill-considered motion.

Davidflude
29-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Personally I have no problem with a weekend chess tournament in Melbourne for those unable to play in the Australian Championships in Parramatta.

But the timing and wording of this announcement does appear to be somewhat spiteful and an act of rebellion by Chess Victoria against the ACF.

The ACF has recently passed the following motion:

"no event be accepted as a GP event if any of the dates of that event will clash with any dates of the Australian Open or Australian Championship, or more than one date of the Australian Junior Championship."

Chess Victoria (and Box Hill) know that the ACF will not be happy but seem determined to cause a conflict.

On the other hand, the ACF started the dispute with their ill-considered motion.

This tournament was a great success last year. There are many people who cannot travel to the Australian championship. I was surprised at the size of the entry last year and how well the "Dark Horse" crew ran the tournament with some help from Box hill.

As far as I am aware this tournament was not to be a GP event (but I could be wrong on this point).

As the relatives that I was planning to stay with have moved from Sydney to a lifestyle village on the Murray I will be unlikely to play the Australian Championmships tournament.

Bill Gletsos
29-09-2007, 12:29 PM
On the other hand, the ACF started the dispute with their ill-considered motion.Actually it was CV who announced their intention on 3rd August here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6730) to run the Victorian Close Championship with their preferred dates clashing with the Australian Championship.

That decision to clash was decided by them prior to the ACF motion.

Brian_Jones
29-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Actually it was CV who announced their intention on 3rd August here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=6730) to run the Victorian Close Championship with their preferred dates clashing with the Australian Championship.

That decision to clash was decided by them prior to the ACF motion.

Yes, and all this animosity stems from the dispute between Box Hill and the ACF over the failed bid to hold the 2008 Australian Championships.

The end result is that a new GP event in 2007 organised by Geoff Saw with sponsorship from Australian Chess Enterprises (ACE) is replaced by a new non-GP event run by Box Hill with sponsorhip from the local branch of the Bendigo Bank.

I just hope that chess is the winner! :confused:

Bill Gletsos
29-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Yes, and all this animosity stems from the dispute between Box Hill and the ACF over the failed bid to hold the 2008 Australian Championships.The failed bid for the 2008 Autralian Championships was a CV bid.

As such you appear to be confusing Box Hill with CV. :doh:

TrueBeliever
29-09-2007, 03:44 PM
There is no reason why anyone should be unhappy with the Canterbury Summer Swiss. It is an extended Weekend tournament designed for local players who cannot spare the time and / or cannot afford the considerable cost of participating in an interstate tournament.
The conditions will be good. The entry fees are low and there will be no divisions

Brian_Jones
29-09-2007, 04:26 PM
There is no reason why anyone should be unhappy with the Canterbury Summer Swiss. It is an extended Weekend tournament designed for local players who cannot spare the time and / or cannot afford the considerable cost of participating in an interstate tournament.
The conditions will be good. The entry fees are low and there will be no divisions

Then why advertise free entry for GMs and IMs?

eclectic
29-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Then why advertise free entry for GMs and IMs?

caught out!!!

;)

TrueBeliever
30-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Free entry to grand masters and international masters has now become normal practice at least in Victoria and I am surprised that the organizers of last year’s tournament demanded an entry fee from the participating titled player. The present organisers think it would have been churlish to do so. That tournament by the way was held right in the middle of the Australian open and did not seem to create undue unhappiness [except perhaps for the dispute]. The organizers hope that Victorian junior players who intend to play in the Australian Junior Championships will use this tournament to get some last minute and probably much needed practice

eclectic
30-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Free entry to grand masters and international masters has now become normal practice at least in Victoria

so why then wasn't that part of the cv bid for the australian championships?

:doh:

TrueBeliever
01-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Too many words already.
As Lao Tzu points out
Front and back follow each other. Therefore the sage manages affairs without action and spreads doctrines without words

TrueBeliever
01-12-2007, 11:21 AM
There have already been many enquiries for this the opening tournament of the 2008 Chess Victoria calendar. Details and web entry forms will be available on the BHCC web site www.boxhillchess.org.au over the weekend. The early bird entry fees discounts are considerable and close the end of December. There are also special discounts for Box Hill, Canterbury Junior, and Dark horse junior members. A great opportunity for final practice for the 2008 Australian Junior Championships

TrueBeliever
05-12-2007, 12:51 PM
With the web entry forms now available entries are coming in helped by an influx of Daltons. First cab of the rank entry however belongs to Elliott Renzies.
The early bird discounts are considerable so enter early and often

MichaelBaron
05-12-2007, 07:06 PM
so enter early and often

Hmm...I wonder what entering "often" involves...:doh:

I would think one needs to enter once only :hmm:

Axiom
05-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Hmm...I wonder what entering "often" involves...:doh:

I would think one needs to enter once only :hmm:
Michael have you ever run an entry fee paying chess tournament ? ! :P

TrueBeliever
05-12-2007, 08:20 PM
First you tell us that you want to enter. Then you send in a web entry. Then you confirm your entry by sending in an early bird entry fee [before first of January] confirming your entry. Then you tell your mates you are playing thereby encouraging them to play. Then on the day you turn up and enjoy yourself.

klyall
05-12-2007, 09:40 PM
There will be a Blitz Championship on January 9, 2007

Venue 3 Rochester Road Canterbury

Playing date: January 9, 2008

Entry fee: $15.00

Rate of play: 5 minutes per player per game.

Rounds: 11 rounds on the day

Rules: FIDE blitz rules apply.

Prizes: $10.00 of each entry goes to the prize fund

Start time 1 pm

Entries: With the entry for the Canterbury Summer Swiss or at the venue on the day up to 12.30 pm

Trophy: Modest Trophy for the winner on countback if necessary.

ER
06-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi Klyall, please count me in for the blitz tournament!
I have also noticed that January 9th is a Wednesday. Have we made new arrangements with the venue? If yes, that's great news :clap: because Wednesdays (at present) are free for me to play chess! If not and it is only a one off case, great news again because I have all the time in the world again.
Cheers and good luck! :)

ER
06-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I have also noticed that January 9th is a Wednesday. Have we made new arrangements with the venue?

Silly me, I just realised the Wed Jan 9 is actually an extension (as in an arithmetical Progress or in a logical sequence) of Tues Jan 8 which incidentally is the last day of the Swiss Tournament! :)
Cheers and good luck to all!

MichaelBaron
06-12-2007, 07:09 PM
I am working on Mondays and Tuesday so will not be able to play in the weekender, but i may join the fun for wednesday blitz ;)

Davidflude
08-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi Klyall, please count me in for the blitz tournament!
I have also noticed that January 9th is a Wednesday. Have we made new arrangements with the venue? If yes, that's great news :clap: because Wednesdays (at present) are free for me to play chess! If not and it is only a one off case, great news again because I have all the time in the world again.
Cheers and good luck! :)

I have only managed to lose 7 kilos, but every kilo I lose I feel more energetic.

ER
09-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I have only managed to lose 7 kilos, but every kilo I lose I feel more energetic.
Thank you very much David,
I owe a lot of my successful weight loss efforts to the encouragement of friends. :clap: However, due to my overloaded work and gym schedule, I am struggling in the Chess field. :( Having said that I am doing quite well at the MCC's Fitzroy Open.) I am missing Box Hill very much though, and I look forward to come and see you all as soon as I can!
Cheers and good luck!
PS Congratulations for your weight reduction too! I don't think you should lose anymore though... After all you were never an overweight person! Cheers!

TrueBeliever
10-12-2007, 12:24 PM
The tournament will now be with the participation of IM Leonid Sandler
He has offered to assist those players using the tournament as practice for the Australian Junior Championships with after game analysis.

TrueBeliever
17-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Fresh from his world junior succes, new BHCC member Bobby Cheng will be joining his fellow junior entrants in the tournament. Club champion Chris Wallis has also thrown his hat in the ring. However IM Leonid Sandler tells me he is prepared for all.

MichaelBaron
17-12-2007, 09:36 PM
I believe, Jesse Sales will also be playing. Jesse Jaeger is also considering entering.

Sigh..the more i think about the tournament the more i like it...How i wish i could play in it :(

Garvinator
17-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I believe, Jesse Sales will also be playing. Jesse Jaeger is also considering entering.
So, if I have this right, these are two players who are choosing to play in this tournament instead of the Aus Championships?

TrueBeliever
18-12-2007, 12:52 PM
The Box Hill Chess Club has ordered a DGT board via the internet. It is anticipated that the board is available for the Canterbury Summer Swiss.
Board one players will hopefully put their best foot forward.

Garvinator
18-12-2007, 01:13 PM
The Box Hill Chess Club has ordered a DGT board via the internet. It is anticipated that the board is available for the Canterbury Summer Swiss.
Board one players will hopefully put their best foot forward.
How is BHCC getting this board? Are you willing to answer questions via pm?

Spiny Norman
18-12-2007, 02:09 PM
So, if I have this right, these are two players who are choosing to play in this tournament instead of the Aus Championships?
I expect you'd have to ask the two players concerned. Some players might not even consider playing interstate, therefore its not necessarily "instead of" ...

TrueBeliever
18-12-2007, 07:17 PM
How is BHCC getting this board?

See this post (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=177129&postcount=29)

Are you willing to answer questions via pm?

I am afraid not.

TrueBeliever
25-12-2007, 02:08 PM
The lifemember support group of the Box Hill Chess Club has just signed-off on considerable sponsorship for the Canterbury Summer Swiss. Great work fellers! It is efforts like this that allows the club to continue with its discounted entry fee policy and its self-reliance on equipment

Davidflude
25-12-2007, 06:08 PM

No names no pack drill but I know at least one junior who had to choose between playing the Australian championships or The Australian Junior. Remember it is not cheap to travel and stay interstate and some families cannot afford the time or the cost of playing both the Australian Championships and the Australian Junior.

ER
25-12-2007, 07:19 PM
The lifemember support group of the Box Hill Chess Club has just signed-off on considerable sponsorship for the Canterbury Summer Swiss. Great work fellers! It is efforts like this that allows the club to continue with its discounted entry fee policy and its self-reliance on equipment

Fantastic!!! Congratulations gentlemen! :clap:
Cheers and good luck!

TrueBeliever
27-12-2007, 01:12 PM
The large early bird entry fee discounts are closing off on January first. The $10 discount for BHCC Canterbury Junior and Darkhorse members, will remain till the tournament opening. Entries are coming on really well

Davidflude
30-12-2007, 11:31 AM
The unofficial tally of entrants as at yesterday is 37 with two others confirmed but who have not yet entered.

TrueBeliever
04-01-2008, 08:44 PM
With Saturday morning to go we have an entry list of 57 and hoping for more on the day. The entry list in rating order and without birthdates is now up on the Box Hill web site: www.boxhillchess.org.au The DGT board has been installed and it may well work. Keep your eye open for it on the web. A hot day is expected but the building will remain reasonably cool if we all keep calm.
The arbiter is looking forward to the tournament

ER
05-01-2008, 12:41 AM
With Saturday morning to go we have an entry list of 57 and hoping for more on the day....

No worries chief! Chess players will be there by their numbers! We 're talking about Box Hill / Canterbury Juniors Chess Club power here!!! :clap: :clap:
Cheers and good luck to all!

TrueBeliever
05-01-2008, 09:13 PM
We have had some access problems throughout the day with our live game and now with results to the BHCC web site.
In desperation I have t6he round 1 results and round 2 draw on the arbiter's private web site, http://gerryhartland.netfirms.com Go to chess page one while you are there you can also view his recent sketches from his trip to the Provence and the update on his family pages.
Tomorrow there will be a report on the many upset results in round 1

Leonid Sandler
06-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Hello all,
Kevin Bonham correctly pointed out that draw was unneccessary to put it very mildly.
I had 40 minutes against 4 plus extra pawn ,plus 600 raiting points more...
I just was lazy to calculate for more than 1 move.Of course instead of taking knight rook should go to h1 defending pawn and win the game.It is always good to remember E.Lasker who said once that the most difficult thing in chess to win winning position..
Once again like many times in my chess life I paid the price.

TrueBeliever
06-01-2008, 06:12 PM
After 3 rounds Leonid returns to the show board against leader Douglas Lindberg. An interesting game coming up. The results for round 3 and the draw for round 4 may be viewed on the Box Hill web site www.boxhillchess.org.au

TrueBeliever
07-01-2008, 07:20 PM
The DGT board is working and tomorrow morning we have the hoped for clash between Leonid and Chris. The draw and results are up on the Box Hill web site www.boxhillchess.org.au It was a very exiting days play today Non players are missing a lot. The younger brigade is a joy to watch. We will have some photos tomorrow. Elliott I don't think has played anyone over the age of nine yet

ER
07-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Elliott I don't think has played anyone over the age of nine yet

and with 2/5 doing quite well too! :P
Cheers and good luck!

Watto
07-01-2008, 07:48 PM
thanks for the reports TB. :)

ER
07-01-2008, 07:54 PM
And don't forget the Victorian Blitz Championship on Wednesday!!!!
After the Canterbury Open's tremendous success, it promises to be another super beauty!

Cheers and good luck!

Watto
07-01-2008, 07:58 PM
And don't forget the Victorian Blitz Championship on Wednesday!!!!
After the Canterbury Open's tremendous success, it promises to be another super beauty!

Cheers and good luck!
hi hk. Are the details actually on the BHCC site? Can't find them...
lol. okay, you've edited out the link. So what are the details? :)

Publicist
08-01-2008, 09:51 AM
To ALL
The prize-ceremony is scheduled for 6.30pm his evening.
Refreshments available from 6.15pm onwards

Is this what you need Jean
http://202.60.80.10/~bhcc/e2008/e0801cso/round6.htm

Watto
08-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Is this what you need Jean
http://202.60.80.10/~bhcc/e2008/e0801cso/round6.htm
Hello there. :) No but thanks. I was actually after details for the Victorian Blitz Championship which heavyknight mentioned (he included a link to the BHCC site but then deleted it possibly because the info re the blitz tourney wasn't actually there). Not a big deal- I was just momentarily curious (thinking of possibly dropping around to spectate and wanted to know what time it was on)

Thanks,
Jean

Publicist
08-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Hello there. :) No but thanks. I was actually after details for the Victorian Blitz Championship which heavyknight mentioned (he included a link to the BHCC site but then deleted it possibly because the info re the blitz tourney wasn't actually there). Not a big deal- I was just momentarily curious (thinking of possibly dropping around to spectate and wanted to know what time it was on)

Thanks,
Jean

Entries are being taken up until 12.30 tomorrow.
Start time of games is 1pm.
(Maling Rd shops are open) ;)

ER
08-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Hi Watto,
The reason why I deleted the link from the original statement is that (very limited) details from the CV Blitz Tournament were at the CV website, linked to the Box Hill one. So I deleted in order to save people from the detective work! I should not have done the reference in the first place anyway, but I thought it was published in the Box Hill website proper which it wasn't.

Here are the complete details:

VICTORIAN LIGHTNING CHAMPIONSHIP

Venue 3 Rochester Road Canterbury

Playing date: January 9, 2008

Entry fee: $15.00

Rate of play: 5 minutes per player per game.

Rounds: 11 rounds on the day

Rules: FIDE blitz rules apply.

Prizes: $10.00 of each entry goes to the prize fund

Start time 1 pm

Entries: With the entry for the Canterbury Summer Swiss or at the venue on the day up to 12.30 pm

Trophy: Modest Trophy for the winner on countback if necessary.

TrueBeliever
08-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Perhaps that should read sensational final results. Sam Dalton defeats IM Leonid Sandler in the final round of the Canterbury Summer Swiss to join Chris Wallis in equal first place. It was a complicated game shown live on the BHCC web site. I hope those who were watching enjoyed it as I did.
Full final results are shown on the BHCC web site www.boxhillchess.org.au
Blitz tomorrow

MichaelBaron
08-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Congratulations to Chris and Sam:clap: (even though i am sad that Leonid did not win it).

I am coming for the blitz tomorrow. After months of playing blitz on the internet only..i am afraid i will miss my mouse :(:doh:

Garvinator
08-01-2008, 08:24 PM
I am coming for the blitz tomorrow. After months of playing blitz on the internet only..i am afraid i will miss my mouse :(:doh:You should ask to play from the net ;)

ER
08-01-2008, 08:36 PM
I am coming for the blitz tomorrow. After months of playing blitz on the internet only..i am afraid i will miss my mouse :(:doh:

lol don't leave the mouse alone with your cat at home Michael, because then you will certainly going to miss it! :D

Cheers and good luck!
PS Hey Michael, how about getting some of the MCC blitz maestros to play tomorrow? You can then aim for 1st, 2nd and 3rd for the MCC!
Cheers

ER
08-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Perhaps that should read sensational final results. Sam Dalton defeats IM Leonid Sandler in the final round of the Canterbury Summer Swiss to join Chris Wallis in equal first place. It was a complicated game shown live on the BHCC web site. I hope those who were watching enjoyed it as I did.
Full final results are shown on the BHCC web site www.boxhillchess.org.au
Blitz tomorrow

Yes, yes and yes! 'good on you" to Chris for his usual high standard of play but my warmest congratulations (and they know I mean it:clap: ) go to Samuel Dalton, and all the Dalton family! To Sam for his play and continuous improvement and to the Dalton family for their dedication and involvement in the cause of our beloved game in Victoria!:clap: :clap: :clap:
I wish you all the best Samuel, you too Joshua, and of course to my old arch-rival (across the board of course) Laurie Dalton! Special mention to my blitz friend Micah Dalton with the reminder that I am two games up in our ongoing match!
Cheers for the Daltons!

ER
08-01-2008, 09:03 PM
and top marks to Derek,:clap: who excelled in this tournament too promising a great chess future! But (and that's correct for Samuel too) SCHOOL COMES FIRST! :) ok I said my bit, be quiet now HK!!!! Let the kids celebrate! :)
Cheers and good luck!

MichaelBaron
08-01-2008, 10:59 PM
You should ask to play from the net ;)

Seriously, i wish it would be possible :) Imagine how convinient it would be for everyone if we could play from the comfort of our homes...and this is i think what will be happening in another 15 Years:).

Bill Gletsos
09-01-2008, 02:45 PM
It seems rather short sighted to have held the Victorian Lightning Championship whilst the Australian Championship was in progress as it simply means that some of the strongest VIC players were not able to take part in it.

ER
10-01-2008, 10:17 AM
1 Baron, Michael VIC 2309 11
2 Partsi, Dimitry VIC 2012 8.5
3 Yu, Sally VIC VIC 1573 8
4 Antolis, Cedric VIC 1810 7.5

Congratulations to all prize winners and to Cedric!
To Michael, because he proved once again his superiority in blitz chess.
To Dmitri for his consistency.
To Sally, who in my opinion will soon be one of the strongest Australian players in all forms of chess,
and to Cedric
for his continuous improvement and dedication!

MichaelBaron
10-01-2008, 10:58 AM
I think Sally Yu deserves a special mention. I believe it is the first time in 130 or so Years that Victorian events have been held that a female participant became a prize winner. Thus, history has been made!

This is an outstanding achievement :clap: that required Sally to finish ahead of a number of 1900+ rated players.:clap:

Publicist
11-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Full details of the Blitz championship are now up on the CV web site http://chessvictoria.netfirms.com