PDA

View Full Version : Victorians for Victorian Events

Mischa
11-09-2007, 09:57 PM
i am so proud of our Elwood tourny (being involved from the onset...tho not any more) but I am disappointed at the decision to appoint an arbiter from interstate.....let us keep our individuality and identity and support our local chess community.
WHY is it necessary to import arbiters for an event held in Victoria?

eclectic
11-09-2007, 09:59 PM
let's ban interstate players from attending too
:eek:

Mischa
11-09-2007, 10:00 PM
let's ban interstate players from attending too
:eek:

that is just silly tic and has no bearing on what I said

Basil
11-09-2007, 10:00 PM
i am so proud of our Elwood tourny (being involved from the onset...tho not any more) but I am disappointed at the decision to appoint an arbiter from interstate.....let us keep our individuality and identity and support our local chess community.

I completely agree with this sentiment.

In my last months on the CAQ, I tried to promote this concept for Queensland. I departed before the issue was resolved. The matter arose after one too many interstate arbiters replaced Garvin and ors.

BTW max respect to the Bekker. Big fan.

Mischa
11-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Well thank you...I would love to see all play from interstate but as a host state I would really like to see a home front (If you get my meaning)

eclectic
11-09-2007, 10:03 PM
maybe garvin is exacting his revenge? :eh:

Basil
11-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Just recapping my beliefs offered in a frenzied shoutbox dialogue:

1. Re: Implementation of the local arbiters for local events idea
For sure, but let's make it uniform across the country, else the argument just follows each tournament as it occurs.

2. Re: This particular instance of Victorians looking for accountability
For sure, but only once the policy has been adopted, else it is retrospective; and given that the policy (of using interstate arbiters) is presently widespread and operates throughout Australia, a retrospective enquiry would be without foundation.

Desmond
11-09-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm yet to detect a shred of support from you for that tournament in that thread. Is this an academic discussion, axe to grind, or do you actually care?

Barboros was the original mover and shaker for this tourny...I have always thought of it as HIS...

Why do we have someone from interstate to arbit a victorian event?

So no one from Victoria would arbit?

Rincewind
12-09-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm yet to detect a shred of support from you for that tournament in that thread. Is this an academic discussion, axe to grind, or do you actually care?

Not sure what you mean by "support". Mischa has supported the event in the past by operating the canteen which is on the public record here.

Aaron Guthrie
12-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Not sure what you mean by "support". Mischa has supported the event in the past by operating the canteen which is on the public record here.And she has had at least one interstate player who came to play the tournament stay at her house.

Mischa
12-09-2007, 12:21 AM
and a wonderul guest he was

Aaron Guthrie
12-09-2007, 12:23 AM
and a wonderul guest he wasI made muffins.

I put two of them in the oven. The first one said to the second, "it is HOT in here!", the second said "Holy crap! A talking muffin!".

Aaron Guthrie
12-09-2007, 12:26 AM
and a wonderul guest he wasAnd a wonderful host (I am not sure if I am supposed to say that, you don't want all the chess bums clambering to stay at your house, so I won't mention the good food).

Mischa
12-09-2007, 12:26 AM
weird, strange, different...but wonderful

Mischa
12-09-2007, 12:27 AM
And a wonderful host (I am not sure if I am supposed to say that, you don't want all the chess bums clambering to stay at your house, so I won't mention the good food).

:)

Bereaved
12-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Hello everyone, and mostly Boris:

Please make of this what you will but it seems a fairly resounding praise of Mischa in her role as a supporter of the Bendigo Bank weekender:

Originally Posted by Mischa
and the canteen was great!!!

Watto: Yes, I agree with that. Well run, friendly and a great selection of food. Thanks and congrats to yourself and everyone involved, Mischa.

and the canteen was great!!!

Michael Baron: It is people like Mischa who make the chess tournaments and other community events happen. I can only admire someone who devotes her weekend to give the chess-players a helping hand

and from Heavyknight: Some of the positive points of the tournament.
Hi all,
I would like to congratulate all for their tireless efforts to make the tournament a success! In my humble opinion the highlights of the tournament were provided by:
I) Bendigo Bank for their continuous support to the tournament
II) Elwood Chess Club (good to see my old smiling friends Yuri and Met)
III) Canteen team who did their best to help participants during all days and times of the tournament.

Mischa: thanks all for the thanks...but I have to admit that Terry Morris deserves it more...

Michael B again Well..lets just say it was a team performance of the Morris family

Met: I will thank following for their contribution:

Bendigo Bank
Chess World
Chess Ideas

Igor Goldenberg Organiser
Barboros Kara Organiser

Dennis Au Assistant
Mitchell Faircloth Guitar-player(remember him on 3RRR Punter to Punter)
Ismail Mogal Website and kiosk
Terry Morris Kiosk
Rowena Moyle Kiosk
Alex Stanisheff Assistant
Derek Taylor Kiosk
Gary Wastell Arbiter

thanks all for the thanks...but I have to admit that Terry Morris deserves it more...

Hi All,

I spoke with Heindrik Tabatt from Germany during the week, and spoke to him about the 2008 Bendigo Bank tournamnet- and we looked back at 2006 and both cried- he won and I came some where down the field. The main reason for this was that I spent most of the time in the kitchen( also lack of chess skill), eating the delicious sangas mr and Mrs Morris had prepaired, having a chat about chess, and entertaining the kids- it was an excellent atmosphere- Not much chaged this year, although Mr Morris seemed to be wearing the apron a little more often this time around-Last year and this year I forgot to mention them in the closing speeches, So I will make a special open ended promise to them " next year I promise to............." you can fill l in the blanks- it can be a dare , anything within reason- and the most voted thing to do will become reality

The canteen is not run to make money but to provide food and drink for players and guests- so all the time and effort that Mr and Mrs M put in - is for chess and the Elwood Bendigo Bank tournament- so Thankyou so much

Barboros

Seems a fairly universal view on her involvement in this event? what do others think?

I know what my opinion is, that Mischa has been an integral part of establishing this event as one of the finest in the Australian chess calendar? any naysayers?

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

eclectic
12-09-2007, 12:44 AM
any naysayers?

i wish she'd learn the confounded game and play in the event

james must get his talent from somewhere

;)

Bereaved
12-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Hi Tic, Mischa was classified as gifted whilst young and she still is!! that is where the chess talent amongst many that James and India possess respectively arise from....and if Mischa played, the kitchen would not compare by half!! that would be too great a cost!!

eclectic
12-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Hi Tic, Mischa was classified as gifted whilst young and she still is!! that is where the chess talent amongst many that James and India possess respectively arise from....and if Mischa played, the kitchen would not compare by half!! that would be too great a cost!!

oh go on macavity i'm sure you can relieve mischa this year by donning a chef's apron and hat and reigning supreme cuisinically instead of caissaically!

:owned:

Mischa
12-09-2007, 01:06 AM
blushing

ER
12-09-2007, 06:57 PM
blushing

Mischa, How are you going Goddess? How are hubby and kids?
Cheers and good luck! BTW I met your husband in Adelaide during the tournament, what a great guy and a great champ too!
Cheers and good luck!

Mischa
13-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Just as I thougth..it WAS GG who approached egor

pax
13-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Just as I thougth..it WAS GG who approached egor

What's wrong with that? If you're organising a tournament and an experienced arbiter offers to direct, it would be churlish to turn him down on the basis that he is from interstate..

ER
14-09-2007, 01:50 PM
What's wrong with that? If you're organising a tournament and an experienced arbiter offers to direct, it would be churlish to turn him down on the basis that he is from interstate..

Correct Pax! :)
Garvin is welcome and so is (are) arbirers, players, visitors from everywhere in the world! :) GO ELWOOD! :clap:
Cheers and good luck!